Certify Travel & Expense Reviews

Certify Travel & Expense

Travel and expense report management software

4.69/5 (1,203 reviews)

Pros
  • Ease of use, the mobile app is awesome and convenient, love that I can take pics of my receipts with my phone and upload to the app.Lisa R.Read the full review
  • We have only been on Certify 4 months, but our sales staff seem pleased with the ease of use. Also downloading the monthly detail for our record retention is a great feature.Jackie T.Read the full review
  • We love this product and in my 8 years here we have had two others that were difficult and the customer service left a lot to be desired. Great product and Great Service.Lauren V.Read the full review
Cons
  • The change to certify took me a couple of months to figure out what to do if I made a mistake. Now I make very few mistakes entering receipts but if I error I can fix the mistake easily.randy m.Read the full review
  • The interface can be a little confusing sometimes. I have used SAP Concur for some time now so when I switched it was frustrating to enter in some basic transactions.Michael P.Read the full review
  • So much faster and easier than the old method. No lost receipt, no paper reporting.Kasey H.Read the full review
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Heather Dietz

This software is like an "EASY" button for life!

Reviewed 2018-07-10

The ability to keep track of every mileage reimbursement that I had ever had!

Pros
When traveling as much as I used to for work, Certify gave me the ability to not only keep track of where I went, but the notes feature allowed me to keep track of why I was going there. I actually had an error occur at work which caused me to have to go back 3 YEARS and give the accounting department a list of every time I drove to headquarters. Being able to go back into Certify to find specific times/dates/mileage/etc. helped me prove that I was actually owed a few hundred dollars! It was no fault of my company or myself, just one of those oversights that could have been missed by anyone. But had I not had Certify and it's ability to keep track of EVERYTHING, I never would have been able to prove the error had occurred!

Cons
Even though I used the app on my phone for years, I still found myself getting confused when it came to determining whether I needed to create an "expense" or a "receipt" - I think there should/could be an easier way to label these two options so that it identifies more with what each one actually means. While it may look as though it should be self-explanatory, there were times when I would just forget.

Daniel Kaufman

Hit the Easy Button

Reviewed 2020-03-11

Much more efficient than the prior system that Murphy utilized

Pros
Mobile and Desktop sync easily. Uploading receipts from the photo function is awesome.

Cons
Sometimes extra entry of receipt information is required but probably because we're still learning the software/app

Jason Taylor Fitzgerald

Expense Reports (and reimbursement!) Have Never Been Easier

Used occasionally for 2+ years
Reviewed 2020-04-04

It is extremely handy to submit and get repaid for expenses. I'm a HUGE fan of company credit cards being preloaded so I don't have to personally shell out a couple thousand for a flight/hotel. For someone who remembers the days of photocopying receipts and physically signing expense sheets, this program is a godsend.

Pros
I love that I can put the app on my phone and take pictures of receipts (or whatever) and build my expense report as I go. I love that I can book airfare and hotels from the single platform. And I love that I can build an expense report and get the reimbursement back to me in a few days via ACH.

Cons
Booking a hotel can be a little confusing because there are endless options with shorthand codes for different sizes, etc. And if your organization has put in confusing policies/rules (or just not implemented them all the way) you can run into some roadblocks.

Randy Pratt

Could be good, but isnt

Reviewed 2017-03-16

Im going to make this kind of short.... I was lied to in the sales process, implementation dropped the ball continually. They have zero followup when you have an issue. My implementation coach and even the implementation manager I had to speak with never followed up with me. Oh did I mention they have an implementation fee they bring up just before you sign with them? Its not cheap. But they'll "discount" it. Due to being lied to during sales, I had to figure out how Certify worked instead of it just working for me. I had to re-enter my credit cards 3 times, and I had 15 credit cards. I had to call the bank to get individual logins for all my credit cards. I have 25 very unhappy users and one irate admin (me). The import into quickbooks did not go as promised as well. Due to all of this I now feel as if I know more about Certify than my salesman did when he sold me this crap. The app for the phone is pretty good, Android better than IOS I think. The Web application though is horrible, just horrible. The Layout is bad, you have to confirm simple things, but you can delete an expense with no more scrutiny. They have no way for you to recover deleted expenses. The have a Wallet and a Report, you cannot edit most fields in the wallet, you have to move expenses into a "draft report" then move them back into your wallet! Its about a 10 click process just to change the amount of a receipt or change a category- very important things, heres the procedure lol. 1) Check expense(s) in wallet 2) Click Add to report, 3) Chose whether you want a new or existing report. 4) Confirm that you want to do that. 5) Wait for the expenses to load(which can take a while if you have a lot) 6) click edit 7) Edit the expense, click save (I'll give them this one) 8) Click the icon to open a menu 9) Click Send to wallet. So 9 steps. There is an alternate way but you get to chose from a little window and you cant select multiple. So why do I have to leave the wallet to edit an expense? Oh and if you have a lot of receipts they remove the "merge" option. This matches your receipts with your CC charges automatically! But you cant have more than 100 or 150 lines of charges/expenses, they cant decide on which number, but its between there. So why would you make my life harder if I have MORE expenses? I hope this saves you from some hassle, expenses are tricky, this is my second go around wasting dozens of hours.

Pros
App is good to use

Cons
They dont know their system entirely. they will sell you something just to sell you. Their salesmen dont know the ins and outs.

Likelihood to recommend: 3/10

Nicole Campbell

Certify Review

Used monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed 2020-03-11

The overall experience with Certify has been great, I am able to submit receipts easily and also I am able to help and assist managers when they need me to submit expenses for them when they aren't able to.

Pros
Our company is a fairly new company and when we 1st started out the company was using another software that was so complicated at times! Then they introduced us to the certify software and it was much easier to upload and track our expenses. You get to see the step by step process of approvals and you the software makes it so easy to edit and make corrections! Very simply software.

Cons
There was an issue one time when I submitted an expense for reimbursement and the expense was never paid because that was a glitch somewhere in the system where accounting did not process the expense that was submitted.

Jessica Schaffer

Certify Review

Reviewed 2020-03-11

With Certify, I am able to ensure that I am getting reimbursed for money that I spend at work both directly and indirectly including gas, mileage, school supplies, food for meetings, and more! Thank you certify for ensuring that I am getting paid for the things I pay for!

Pros
I enjoy how easy the software is to use! I can use Certify with any expenses that I have including receipts from meetings, receipts from purchasing classroom supplies for students, gas receipts, and more. I can even upload receipts from my phone and transfer them to certify in a very simple process which makes my expense reporting stress free! As I mostly use the software for mileage, I enjoy that I can easily input my regular travel and have it deducted automatically while also having the option to "map it" and "round trip" my route in order to have an accurate account of my travel expenses. This software makes my overall expense reporting experience simple and easy!

Cons
At first I did not like how there were so many separate accounts for my work (timecard, notes, expense reporting etc.) However, with Certify, everything you need for expense reporting is in one place. Initially the action tabs can be a bit confusing and can maybe be modified. However, once you understand what they are for and how to use them they are very helpful. Other than that there is not much I would change about certify as it makes my experience so easy and stress free!

Jeff Kosiba

Ditch the receipt

Reviewed 2020-03-11

Totally loved ease of use!

Pros
After snapping a picture of the receipt, the system auto populates the open fields

Cons
Sometimes the auto populate gives the wrong town or state but that's easily overcome to make corrections

Alyce Meyer

Clean, Clear, User Friendly!

Used occasionally for 1-2 years
Reviewed 2020-03-11

Pros
I love the look of it. It is immediately inviting, and doesn't appear overwhelming. The options are user friendly, and everything is fairly straight-forward. I like that I was able to complete most everything on my own without assistance - that's how simple the software is! The last program I used was not very easy to use, especially when it came to adding or attaching receipts. Certify does a great job of smoothing out all the wrinkles of complication, and making it an easy and even enjoyable experience to fill out an expense report.

Cons
So far, I haven't found anything that has created any kind of stumbling block. Every field is so easy to navigate and understand, and is really set up with a good flow that is simple to follow. No complaints here!

Audrey Mede

Cerify

Reviewed 2020-03-11

Pros
Easy to use, photos of receipts upload easily

Cons
nothing really..

Geninne Tatum Bridge

Easy To Integrate into Your World

Used monthly for 1-2 years
Reviewed 2020-03-11

Pros
Certify is a great software designed to make your receipts and expense reports so easy, both on mobile and desktop. The fact that I can accomplish all of it on either the app or the web is a bonus.

Cons
The one feature that is difficult is exchange rate on non credit card purchases. It might not apply to a ton of people.

Anna Vigh

A different type of expense system

Reviewed 2019-10-15

As the administrator I think it's a fantastic program for cost savings in comparison to some other popular expense systems. Users struggle with adapting to this software compared to Concur. The interface is completely different for how reports are created and receipts are uploaded. I like that they are constantly making improvements based on user and administrator feedback (I was informed that the more requests they get for something, the higher that project gets bumped up on their development list).

Pros
I like that there are several option to make it custom to our company (ability to make it work how we need it to). There is a vast learning library available and reporting is visually appealing and easy to find what I need to run as the administrator. The Certify tech support team is responsive and always rolling out new improvements based on feedback, we have already seen several positive changes in the last 4 months since switching to this for expenses and travel.

Cons
User feedback has been that it's not user-friendly, there are several aspects of the software that aren't intuitive and users struggle with learning this system after switching from Concur's interface. As the administrator it's difficult to create specific rules to kick-out certain expense categories for audit. We had to create a work-around by making a secondary account for myself to manually review those exceptions which is pretty odd and causes for a lot of double-work, as those approved by the secondary account come back to me as administrator to approve a second time.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Louis Carrillo

Ceritify app and control software specifically targets and organizes our teams travel log and finance expense reports.

Reviewed 2018-12-27
Review Source: Software Advice

Our team experienced an immediate affinity for Certify as an application which we are using along side our current CRM in order to organize , track , and to monitor travel compliant policy alterations for our yearly , very busy travel schedule. Certify as such has become a concrete asset as we save on needless and potentially expensive travel costs.

Pros
We found that Certify readily integrates inside of our current Control Management Software quite efficiently and easily. Certify's own management team help sire us through this process which ultimately reduced our dependency on IT support which can be costly. Certify offers easy to use tools that allow our employees and resource allocation to create fine tuned reports designed to address monetary waste as well to increase cost efficiency. As advised by Certify's team, we are paying particular attention to travel mileage as well as incurred airfare. AP report generation is also available for our accounting in order to focus on reimbursable costs for each department or by employee.

Cons
We did notice occasional operational instability in the form of minor bugs with this program as well as the necessary synchronization that must be initialized by each employee per server , however overall these inconveniences were mitigated through intervention from Certify's capable client service department. They suggested quite effective work around solutions to keep our report flow steady and current.

Toni Louie

Good for receipt uploads - clunky during report creation

Used occasionally for 6-12 months
Reviewed 2020-03-27

Our company uses Certify to track and reimburse all work-related expenses. Whether that's a hotel bill for a conference in another state, to the meals and snacks you purchased during your annual off-site retreat, Certify is the way to break everything out by line item and have Finance approve.

Pros
Certify allows the user to upload receipts and put the date of the purchase, which helps Finance get an accurate picture of your work-related spending. You are emailed a notification once your report is submitted, and also when it's been approved. A great feature is the ability to just email the pictures of your receipts on your phone to one email address, which automatically uploads them for you into your account. From there you can fill out the info related to the spend.

Cons
Honestly - Certify is not very intuitive at all. The first time I tried to create an expense report I ended up creating 3 separate reports before noticing that something was off. The platform seems a little buggy, and you can't fix one thing without bulk fixing multiple things. It won't let you move forward unless everything is perfect, and most of the time, it is not clearly communicated what you're missing. You need to upload receipts one by one, but they don't filter into the same report. It's very manual and I dread creating expense reports at the end of any trip because it just takes me forever.

Likelihood to recommend: 6/10

Randal Hauck

Certify Expense Reports

Reviewed 2017-12-22
Review Source: Software Advice

Some of the initial set up takes a little bit of time because if it is done wrong the errors will compound with time. Initial set up is key.

Pros
The software is easy to use, both for the back office and for the people out in the field. The processing of expense reports and the integration into out Quickbooks is much quicker than doing it all by hand.

Cons
We had some errors in the beginning of our use with Certify, in that the software would not allow us the ability to process credit card payments for some of our "Current Assets". I find this strange that nowadays with the use of credit cards for so much of purchasing in the world, that there would be a category of expenses that the software would not recognize. Certify was very helpful in tracking down this issue and explaining it to us.

Melanie Sebastian

Easy to use travel and expense system

Reviewed 2019-07-04
Review Source: Software Advice

The business problem I am solving with using Certify is keeping all of the expense reimbursements organized. With the organization I currently work with, there are a lot of sales people who do a great deal of traveling that they get reimbursed for. It was difficult in the past to manually look at each receipt and total the amounts. With the system, it helps to streamline the process.

Pros
I like that Certify sends me individual emails for each employee that has submitted an expense reimbursement. It also provides reminders if an expense has been submitted but not approved yet. This helps to keep everything organized and ensure nothing gets missed. With the system, Certify allows the approver to click into each expense and view the receipt. It is easy to approve and if you need to write a note to the employee you can do so within the system. For example, if an employee forgets to submit a receipt, I just write a note to them within the system to please upload the receipt. I then get an email when the employee responds.

Cons
I have had an issue in the past where the employees would not receive emails when I write a note to them in the system. They would have to log into Certify. This issue has since seemed to have been fixed. Other than that the system is easy to use.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Lauren Vanaman

Trinity Logistics

Reviewed 2018-11-21

With Certify our expenses of booking travel are down and it is also an accountability tool in managing our travel policy.

Pros
This is a very intuitive easy to use software but the biggest Pro to this is their customer service. i can't say enough about their service especially on the travel side. Any problem we have ever had in the travel side was immediately taken care of. Very personable. As a user who does travel for the team almost weekly it is such a timer saver to have a service that keeps every ones information on file and provide you with every travel option on one screen. Booking travel is a breeze with certify and the reporting comes directly into the system without having to capture those travel receipts for air, hotel or rental cars.

Cons
Occasionally when you upload receipts it puts the receipt in as a separate entry. I have not figured out what I do to make that happen but it seems to do it most if I don't autofill my receipts. It's not a big issue but more of an annoyance when it happens. That said, its a great product.

Yvonne Parrish

Ease of use in the field.

Reviewed 2019-04-05

Pros
Entry is very easy with the mobile app. I use this in the field. It is so much more convenient than doing expense reports longhand and having to fax in. Data entry is very fast. Sending in for review and processing is seamless. The few times I needed directions I was able to get accurate help from customer service immediately. They are professional, knowledgeable, and supportive.

Cons
The app has minimal instructions for correcting entry errors after the expense report has been generated. Customer service redeemed this issue by being very knowledgeable and helpful. The available tutorials also only cover general field usage with no help for doing fixes. Also, photos of receipts do not always accurately fill the expense field and do need to be reviewed before saving in order to correct blank or incorrect fields.

Emmanuel Acosta

Great Software When You Implement it Correctly

Reviewed 2018-12-05

When I worked for a company that already had the software up and running and had time to work out the implementation bugs, it worked great. If you can try to include yourself in any focus groups or test cases during testing, so you can make sure that your regular expenses will be able to be entered.

Pros
As far as travel and expense software go, Certify is very easy to use. The first time onscreen prompts help you figure out how to enter expenses for reimbursements. I've used other mobile expense software, and I would have to say that Certify has the friendliest interface, and it is difficult to get wrong. The menus and layout make it easy to find current submissions, past reimbursements, and to update your profile.

Cons
I have worked at a company where we switched from one T&E software to Certify, and the experience was terrible. While the interface was great, there were too many steps required in order to enter an expenses. I would also have trouble when I tried to split an expense for a single charge, and had to contact my accounting department as well as Certify Support. It was determined that certain steps were overlooked when the initial implementation of the software was done, so it took an extra 2-weeks, before I could correct my error. Unfortunately for me, this pushed me into the window where the Credit Card I used got charged the interest for that month. I was of course paid back, but it was a hassle none the less.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Risa Dubow

Creating expense reports couldn't be easier!

Reviewed 2019-02-25

Before Certify, I had to physically tape receipts to a piece of paper and scan it to our finance department. Now, I take pictures of receipts as I get them or forward receipts from my email. I can then easily create, send, and approve expense reports.

Pros
Creating expense reports couldn't be easier! I set up my account so that I can forward email receipts directly to Certify and the app makes it super easy to snap photos of receipts and upload them. In my role, I also have to approve expense reports - Certify makes it easy to do that (and make edits when something is submitted incorrectly). PLUS, their customer service is great - they are super supportive and friendly and are able to resolve any issues that arise quickly.

Cons
There's not much I don't like about it, but sometimes Certify will guess what expense category something belongs in, but it is often wrong (I just ignore it, so it's not a huge problem).

Vince Schaff

Great Solution for a team with heavy travel

Reviewed 2019-08-26

We switched from excel based spreadsheets for expenses and having to tape receipts onto pages to submit. This makes life so much easier when on the road. I can approve reports much quicker now that they are cloud-based.

Pros
Ability to track expenses for a team. Smartphone use, from uploading receipts to booking travel, makes it easy to stay on top of the expense reports.

Cons
Some of my team likes to book travel by train and this isn't very easy to do through Certify. Sometimes flight changes have not been communicated in a timely fashion to some of the team.

Madison Terefenko

Certify Employee Review

Reviewed 2019-03-27

A huge business problem that certify has to help me to fix, is cutting unnecessary cost in our company. With its easy to use software, I was able to see what cost I could cut, therefore saving our company more money!

Pros
This software is really great. I provide all the snacks, office supplies, and other employee-related equipment to my team of about 120 employees. Therefore I use Certify a lot and its extremely easy to use. I love how I can just snap a photo an upload my receipt right after purchase to keep things in order. It also gives you tips and tricks if you mess up an expense. I would highly recommend this software to any companies that have company credit cards. It's very easy to learn and very easy to use!

Cons
There really is not a lot of things I dislike about Certfity. I use it every day and I find it a very easy product to use.!

Lauren Vanaman

Convenient One Stop Product for our Team's needs

Reviewed 2019-09-24

Pros
As the person who books travel for our entire leadership team, I love that I can go to one reliable source and search all travel options. Trying to create itineraries that meet all their schedules is challenging but this software enables me to look at all the options in one place. We originally used it for airfare but have come to rely on it for hotels and car rentals as well. I also have to give a "10" to their customer service. They are prompt, friendly and reliable. I never have to wait for an answer and when we need to make changes they take right over and get it done.

Cons
To be honest, I really can't think of a "con". I have never had an issue with Certify Travel & Expense.

rajan athalye

i have been using this for my bill sand find is easier to use than our prior method

Used monthly for 1-2 years
Reviewed 2018-06-08

easy to use

Pros
ease of use, easy to try and figure out things on my own Drug metabolism is the conversion or breakdown of drugs into more soluble forms through a specialized set of enzymes in living organisms. During this process, drug efficacy and safety issues may occur. For example, drug metabolic stability can affect the clearance rate of the drugs, thus influence the dosing strategy. Potential interactions between drugs and drug metabolizing enzymes can cause induction or inhibition of the enzymes, leading to increased or decreased drug exposures, especially when two or more drugs are present. Thus it' s necessary to assess the metabolic patterns and properties of your compounds.

Cons
i cannot think of any right off hand Drug metabolism is the conversion or breakdown of drugs into more soluble forms through a specialized set of enzymes in living organisms. During this process, drug efficacy and safety issues may occur. For example, drug metabolic stability can affect the clearance rate of the drugs, thus influence the dosing strategy. Potential interactions between drugs and drug metabolizing enzymes can cause induction or inhibition of the enzymes, leading to increased or decreased drug exposures, especially when two or more drugs are present. Thus it' s necessary to assess the metabolic patterns and properties of your compounds.

Nancy Davis

Easy and Intuitive Program

Reviewed 2019-04-04

Saving time is the biggest benefit I see. Being able to enter receipts on the go and have them sync up and then auto-populate my expense report is one HUGE thing I can check off my long list of "to do's".

Pros
I love how easy and convenient this software is to use and because of this I rarely if ever "forget" to upload a receipt. I use the mobile app "on the spot" as I wait for my catering order or before I start my car to drive to the next office. It's great!

Cons
It is hard to come up with any major cons. I guess if I had to pick something it would be to have fewer categories on the mobile app in the section where you enter the expense description. However, this is not a big deal at all.

Pam Coonts

Certify for my teams

Reviewed 2019-04-08

I use this to software daily, both for creating expense reports for others or approving for my Director. It is easy to use and I appreciate being able to leave additional comments

Pros
easy to use, software is straightforward

Cons
This is probably my company's choice but the categories that are listed for how we are to list the expense (travel-meals, others meals, mileage) the categories are not explained well and often I do not know what to choose. How strict do we need to be with these categories, are they truly linked to something we are tracking?