TaxDome  Logo

TaxDome

Tax practice management software for bookkeepers and CPAs

TaxDome Reviews

4.8

2.6K

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.9/10

Reviews by rating

Suggested alternatives

I love the ease of use for my clients, most have found it very easy to use with no hand-holding and adopted and loved it very quickly.
Still learning more and customizing to meet my needs where I can. What I like best is that I am to do just that and replace two other programs that I have been purchasing from other venders.
It has been great, I did a lot of research to find the best software that fit for me and my business and this is a great option to keep everything organized and bill clients in one place.
The first problem I had with TaxDome was the support. This program is difficult if you intend to just jump in at the beginning.
The main item missing was the notification system for when an organizer is updated / changed no notification is given.
I disliked the lack of notifications about information.

2,653 reviews

AS

Arnitra S.

Tax Consultant

Perfect for my practice

Transcript

Arnitra S.: Hi, I'm Arnitra and I am the owner of consultants, and I give TaxDome a four out of five....

TH

TONY H.

CPA

Free trial review

Transcript

Tony: Hi, my name's Tony. I'm a CPA. I give TaxDome a score of four out of five. Yes, I previously used...

Rolette W.

Great Product

Pros

I love how there's templates. It really helped with implementing and creating processes.

Cons

I haven't come across any just yet. So far it's good and I really like it.

Hi Rolette, Thank you for your feedback.

AG

Alexandria G.

Former Canopy User

Pros

The functionality, price, and ease of use make this software far superior to canopy

Cons

Nothing Yet.

SC

Stephanie C.

Financial Services, 1-10 employees

Just beginning

Pros

I like what the software promises and hope it will deliver

Cons

I least like that it is difficult to administer

Thank you, Stephanie. Your feedback is valuable to us. We are happy to hear that. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you, or if you need assistance with anything. Our support is free and unlimited, and our team will be happy to assist you. Have a wonderful day

MF

Marc F.

Tax Dome Document Management

Setup is pretty easy, but it would be nice to have a file transfer system that could handle multiple folder to folder transfer setup so that everything from your old portal could be transferred to the tax dome portal in one fell swoop versus transferring everything manually from folder to folder via the tax dome drive.

Pros

The document management system seems quite robust, and the security and encryption features built into the software seem top notch.

Cons

The ability to have nested folders that are assigned a different privacy / security level versus the parent folder is a negative feature that must be worked around by creating a separate file folder chain.The ability to print from your tax software and have the files go directly into the proper account and file folder (Like SmartVault has) is a negative that I'm hopeful that will be developed quickly, as navigating to the correct folder every time a different client needs to be uploaded to the secure portal will be a royal pain in the ***.

Thank you, Marc. Your feedback is valuable to us. As of now, the privacy level of the top-level folder will be applied to all subfolders, and can't be changed individually. However, we have a Feature Request Board for our paying subscribers where feature requests can be submitted, and existing requests upvoted. We already have an existing request for changing the privacy level here: https://taxdome.canny.io/feature-requests/p/subfolder-permissions-not-just-top-level-permissions Please feel free to upvote, and submit a new request regarding the transfer process, so that other firms can upvote. If you have any questions, or need assistance with anything, please let us know. Have a wonderful day.

SC

Sara C.

Wanted Everything

I really didn't have much time with the trial and purchased because I know this will be good for my business ultimately!

Pros

I liked that this software has pretty much everything I could imagine a software having, I would prefer to learn one software really well than to learn 10 different softwares. I like that it was built by accountants for accountants and bookkeepers.

Cons

I wish it had SMS messaging but apparently that is in the works. Also, it is a LOT of information to get started. I know it has everything I need though so I'm sticking with it!!

DH

Demarcus H.

Hewitt Services Software Review

In the past, virtual tax preparation was handled manually. If one person didn't do their job it would mess up the entire process. The client's experience was horrible. They would just sit by the phone and wait for a call. The workflow management updates the client every step of the way. Onboarding used to take 30 to 45 minutes. It now takes seconds then the software does the rest.

Pros

It would have to be workflow management along with the fact that the whole tax preparation process can be handled within one software. It is done by either the computer or the mobile app.

Cons

Right now he integrates with calendar really and other calendars. I would like to see it have its own calendar.

FA

Felix A.

Professional Training & Coaching, 1-10 employees

Very Impressed - Looking Forward To Implementing All Its Features

I didn't complete the trial. I was sold on the software by day 3 and made my purchase. I am looking forward to using all the features. I am convinced it is going to make the management of my business easier and contact with repeat and new customers satisfactory and focused.

Pros

I found the software to be very user friendly. I also found the links to other software and banks to be a plus.

Cons

I did run into a few problems trying to set up the website, however in all fairness I am not a technical person and this was doing the free trial without the help of the support team.

HB

Haley B.

Accounting, self-employed

Ready to take my business to the next level with TaxDome!

I am a new TaxDome user but love the complexity so far! It truly seems that TaxDome can do it all.

Pros

I love the totality of TaxDome. It is a one-stop shop.

Cons

I wish there were an option to pay for the subscription monthly.

IL

Isaac L.

Tax Dome Review

Seems to work good so far. It almost seems like there's too many clicks to get some tasks done. The fees is deceiving. I was thinking originally 50 a month is super good....BUT that's 50 per user. We go through employees and interns that only work part time and 50 seems like a lot for each user. I'd rather buy an all inclusive for less because of the turnover in the industry.

Pros

It has it all. Anything you could possibly want in a platform is in it.

Cons

It takes a long time to understand how things work and how to customize.

VW

Vicki W.

Penn York Accounting Services Inc

we are just setting it up.

Pros

Ease of transferring data to documents to tax dome, and the portal

Cons

We are just setting up the program, and importing data. Everything seems ok at this point.

LC

Lauren C.

Financial Services, 1-10 employees

TaxDome is a must!

Instead of using multiple applications, we have one central system to use everyday which has become a life saver. We can organize our clients by service and make sure no one falls through the cracks. The Tax Dome team has also been super accommodating and patient as we learn the ins and outs.

Pros

We've been looking for a program that has it all and we finally stumbled across Tax Dome. Even as a small company, we process over 1,000 tax returns a year, plus offer bookkeeping services, as well as other financial services. We needed a service that had it all in one place with an efficient task manager. We've been able to stay more organized and increase our scale of business.

Cons

The integration took a little while to be fully completed, and of course there's a learning curve with a new program/software, but we're confident, with practice, Tax Dome will only become easier to use.

Thanks for your amazing feedback, Lauren! Feel free to reach out to our Customer Success team anytime if you need any assistance as support is free and unlimited.

AC

Andrew C.

Accounting, 1-10 employees

Not perfect, still the best for a small firm

Pros

Probably the best thing about TD is that it does so many things adequately. But the strongest feature is the workflow management and the way that it harmonizes with client communication---the synergy there is market-beating.

Cons

I am disappointed in the timekeeping function, especially the reporting. It seems like a very simple function compared to their sophisticated workflow functions. It is downright primitive. I also can't figure out whether it will really be usable as a CRM. They advertise that, but I'm not sure it can really replace even the most basic CRM.

Hi Andrew! Thanks for your valuable feedback! I understand that our time tracker feature is not as robust just yet but we will be releasing additional functionalities soon, such as hourly rate per staff and create invoice from the time entry - that is currently in development.

Russell B.

The unbelievably affordable Swiss Army knife for my practice

Very positive. It is a great product and getting better every month.

Pros

Their all in one approach, and their incredible ongoing commitment to future improvements, all for a staggeringly low price. Their pipeline approach to task management is exactly what I’ve been searching for. It does a fantastic job of distilling complex workflows down into a series of tasks that smoothly flow from one stage to the next. They have many, many YouTube videos to demonstrate different features, and, importantly, also a series of videos that instructs CLIENTS on how to use the portal.

Cons

Some areas are still clunky but still usable. The mechanism for clients to create a subfolder in and/or upload documents to a specific folder is not very intuitive. Clicking links within the site opens up a new tab far too often. Clicking on the + for sub tasks in a pipeline stage opens a new tab for some reason. Responding to an email from the inbox+ section opens a new tab. Clicking a client name while looking at an account opens a new tab. It seems very unnecessary. OTP entry on mobile devices is a pain since did sons reason they decided not to let you paste a code in. The conditional logic for their organizers is extremely limited, although they tell me they are working to expand this in the near future. These are all minor annoyances in an overall outstanding product.

Hi Russell, we appreciate your feedback, thank you for letting us know. We are constantly improving the software and releasing new features, many of which we take from our user's feedback on our feature request board. We have an existing feature request (available to paid subscribers) to open new tab vs new page. You can also read more about our Organizers here: https://help.taxdome.com/article/114-custom-organizer-templates You can reach us through chat or through email (success@taxdome.com) if you have other questions.

PG

Patricia G.

Accounting, self-employed

Great but ready for improvements.

My overall experience has been awesome. Even with my concerns the support and resources have been useful. I love the Facebook group and the responsiveness from all the representatives. I liked being able to just start working on my file and every time I started to feel overwhelmed, I just asked for help and it was there. That's invaluable and hard to explain until you start to experience it. That's exactly what I want to show my clients. If you are overwhelmed by taxes, let me help. I guide you through the process.

Pros

Customer support, online videos, and all the resources. I'm a jump-in and get started. I don't want to schedule a demo, I don't want to talk to anyone I just want to get my feet wet. I can quickly determine if I'm going to like something or not. I always learn by playing around with things. I LOVE how I could sign up and then start asking questions and scheduling help once I learned my way around the...

Cons

I don't like the projects. My biggest worry is I'm going to miss a project for a client. That just can't happen. The pipeline is taking me time to get used to and I'm trying to remember the point of it. I do think once I get it down it will be VERY helpful. I'm more concerned that I do the same work every year or month or quarter. I just want a way to easily know that every client will at least get on my to-do list with the jobs I need to complete for them.

Hi Patricia, Thanks for your feedback. This helps us a lot. We have recently released recurring jobs so you no longer have to remind yourself to add jobs for clients as they'll automatically be added for you: https://help.taxdome.com/article/290-adding-recurring-jobs

WK

Will K.

Accounting, 11-50 employees

Great customer service and great development team with Taxdome

It's been easy to onboard our users and we've enjoyed our experiences so far.

Pros

Your development team and customer support has been great to work with. Where the company is notably still developing, the support team is incredibly receptive to feedback and really supportive in onboarding and migrating users. Some of the best support I've seen. Additionally the document management system, attaching invoices to documents and the client portal shows signs that your teams have been able to capture many of the industries pain points. It gives me faith in your development team that you all will be able to continue to build out great features.

Cons

The UI is clunky. There are other ways to structure the platform to be more functional that I think would be generally more efficient and there are some errors that could be worked through with a few UI specialists. I'd reach out to some of your younger practice users/technology driven ones and doing some video sessions having them do a walkthrough of their working day and have them talk about some...

Thank you so much for the nice feedback, Will! We highly appreciate it. We aim to continuously improve our product. We have a feature request board for paying subscribers to submit requests and upvote request from other firms. the features with the most upvotes get prioritized. Please feel free to contact us if you need assistance. Our support is free and unlimited.

Mark S.

Terrific Product That Understands How Accountants and Tax Preparers Work

Pros

This product is focused on its customer base. It is not trying to be all things to all industries. The developers understand how accountants and tax preparers work. Even in the short time I have been a client, there is a strong development effort to make the product better and more useful. Customer vote on what improvements they want to see added to the program and TaxDome provides a roadmap on what features are being developed and when they will be implemented. TaxDome's culture is focused on customer service.

Cons

It is clear that TaxDome has done a good job of integrating CRM, document storage, e-signatures, and client communications. As a browser-based solution, it suffers from all the problems that products that work over the Internet have. Whenever I have problems it is hard to know whether it is my internet connection, the number of browser screens open, or something with TaxDome and its servers. I do know...

Hi Mark, Appreciate the feedback. This is what helps us improve TaxDome. The ability to add more short codes (add data from existing contact records) is currently in development (you can upvote the existing request we have here so you'll be notified of its progress: https://feedback.taxdome.com/feature-requests/p/shortcodes-in-communication-with-the-client-emails ) and we recently rolled out Services to itemize your invoices in TaxDome so clients can see exactly what they're paying for: https://help.taxdome.com/article/393-services

SB

Sandy B.

Ease of Use and Customer Service

My overall experience with TaxDome to date has been very positive. I just finished my 2 week free trial and am excited to fully customize the software and use it to its full extent. I feel that it will make a big impact on the organization of our team and the overall client experience.

Pros

I love the ease of use for the client and the available app. I've practiced using it as a client and it is so easy to sign up, activate and upload documents and information. I have also utilized the onboarding on several occasions and have been very pleased. It's been easy to schedule a session and everyone I spoke to has been extremely knowledgeable and patient.

Cons

Creating the pipelines and understanding the relationships between tasks, templates, automations, etc has been challenging and will be time consuming to fully customize, but I feel it will be worth it in the long run.

Hi Sandy, Thank you for your feedback!

MM

Melissa M.

Accounting, 1-10 employees

Taking your tax practice into the future - virtually

Even after the trial period with TaxDome, I had a false idea it would be so easy to set it up and have it take over so much. Spoiler: You have to do a lot of setup to make it that way. BUT, once the setup is complete, it's personalized to your brand. And it speeds up the whole process. And the cost savings - excellent. As an industry, we drag our feet with new changes. Going virtual has had many challenges. But, TaxDome is doing an excellent job of managing some of the big ones.

Pros

What sold me on TaxDome initially, was the secure portal and the signature capability for my clients. When I ran the numbers (because if you're reading this, you have run the numbers) the savings was substantial. What has kept me on, is the fact that I can print my documents straight into my client folders - huge time saver. And the pipelines I'm learning to use. I can see how it will make things more efficient and at the same time, provide bettter service for my clients.

Cons

I feel like the there should be a better displayed to do list or calendar of due dates. I'm currently (but keep in mind, I'm still learning how to use pipelines and tasks and jobs) keeping a list of tasks and returns and projects on excel.

Thank you very much, Melissa. Your feedback is much appreciated. The setup can take some time, but to cut the time you would have to spend, you can always book an onboarding session, so that our team can assist you, and provide further explanations if needed. For the to-do list and calendar, there already are feature requests for this on our Feature Request Board. Please feel free to upvote the ones you would like to have. Naturally, we can not develop all requested features, only the feature requests with the most votes get on our roadmap.

AG

Abbey G.

Best All In One Software - I've tried them all

TaxDome support is incredibly responsive and useful. The implementation time was minimal for this software. I got my workflows set up in a day and was working in the software pretty efficiently within 3 days. My clients LOVE the portal and it sets me apart as an accounting firm because our communication is consistent, timely, and they know where to find me.

Pros

I love that it has all of the features I really wanted for a great client experience and workflow management. The client portal is phenomenal. The Workflows are easy to setup and the templates are a great starting point. Not too complex and not too simplistic

Cons

I wish that recurring tasks customized to a specific client could be built into a recurring pipeline job instead of having to link recurring tasks when they're created. I can tell this feature is missing because of the way the software was designed to streamline the workflow management experience which is otherwise phenomenal. The minor inconvenience of linking a task to a job after the fact is minimal compared to the rest of the benefits I have from this software.

Thank you for the feedback, Abbey! we appreciate it. We aim to continuously improve our product. If there's still missing feature that you would like to add in TaxDome especially related Task and Pipeline, we have a feature request board for paying subscribers to submit requests and upvote request from other firms. the features with the most upvotes get prioritized . Feel free to reach out to our team. Our support is free and unlimited.

JB

Jamie B.

Trial to subscribe

I watched the pre-recorded demo, attended the live demo - which was so great to be able to speak with voice (vs chat is an option) live with humans at the end of the demo! So helpful! Then speaking to [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] in tech support when I had more questions throughout the trial, especially questions that weren't answered on the site. I just subscribed and took advantage of the option to review for an additional free month to my account. At first I was hesitant about the cost, but once I realized all that was included and the money I won't need to spend next year (secure portal elsewhere), and to have the website hosting included - that brings the costs to very reasonable!! I'm hoping that doesn't change drastically once I'm all set up!

Pros

I really like that this seems to be an all-in-one product! I looked at many firm management products and TaxDome seems to have everything I was looking for plus several additional options that I never expected to be taken care of by a firm management software. Such as the website - I don't need a complex site right now. I'm super excited for this next tax season to have the portal and all client aspects in one spot! The KBA e-signature authorization is perfect too!

Cons

There is a pause when moving between screens. That gets frustrating. But I'm noticing that with more cloud-based software (QBO, Gusto). Some tasks seem cumbersome - there could be short cuts on the current screen to go back to enter another of the same, such as manual time entry. Once one is entered, to go back to enter more takes MANY clicks and screen waits.

Thank you, Jamie! Your feedback is valuable to us. To request new features, https://help.taxdome.com/article/203-how-to-request-a-new-feature-i-need - our product team is very engaged and active on our feature request board

LR

Luis R.

Awesome

I have found a substantial decrease in time processing and managing the clients' tax returns

Pros

The most that I like is that all tools that I need to effectively manage my tax practice in on a single site

Cons

I have no concerns about the product, except for the fact that it doesn't allow to get independent signatures from married couples filing jointly

Thanks, Luis! I'd like to inform you that we've released the ability to add multiple signers, so now you can get independent signatures from couples. For more information, please refer to our help: https://help.taxdome.com/article/72-getting-signatures-for-your-documents#6

CL

Caitlin L.

Accounting, 1-10 employees

Everything I need in one place

I have only been using TaxDome for a couple of months but am already noticing a change in the workflow. The setup is a bit difficult, as with any new software, but I am anticipating great things to come. So far I am enjoying the software and would recommend to any tax professionals.

Pros

I love the organization that this software brings to my firm. I can create tasks, assign tasks, communicate with clients, record billing amounts and track receivables, and keep track of what tasks are outstanding and to which staff member tasks are assigned to. This software allows me to keep a live and easily accessible audit trail of work to be completed, work in progress, and completed work so I no longer have to search individual client files for notes. This is the hub for all firm tasks and is a program my staff and I will use daily.

Cons

Some of the functions are difficult to navigate and time consuming to implement. There was also a little confusion upon set up of what I needed to do, specifically regarding the task/pipeline area. I also found the pipeline/task/tag area difficult to find as it is located under the settings tab which I would typically attribute to account settings and not task setup.

Thank you, Caitlin. Your feedback is valuable to us. You can schedule an onboarding session with us by going here: [ https://taxdome.com/15] for us to assist you with setting up your pipelines and discuss the functionality of the software. Also, to request new features, https://help.taxdome.com/article/203-how-to-request-a-new-feature-i-need - our product team is very engaged and active on our feature request board.

TH

Tyler H.

Great Overall All-In-One Software But Client Communication Needs Improvement

One other thing that can be cleaned up is the Academy. Just having a list of a hundred videos is difficult to find what I am looking for. If this was organized better, I may learn better ways to utilize TD.

Pros

I like the security and the portal the most. It is one of the most important needs. The workflows can be made as complex or as simple as I would like and they make work more efficient.

Cons

I would like the ability to edit documents directly in the TD environment. The messaging feature is severely lacking. It would be nice if there was a main messaging page in the left panel. It would bring up a list of all messages, instead of having to go to the client then to their messages. As we do more than just taxes, and we offer bookkeeping services, it would be nice if we could link QBO to TD in a way that when the account Uncategorized Expenses in QBO, TD would send a chat out asking what the transaction was for. The would be able to select from the list of accounts currently in QBO.

Thank you for your detailed feedback, Tyler. We appreciate the ideas you shared with us. Documents can be edited with our PDF editor, or if you open up a document on the TaxDome drive and make changes, it will be saved to TaxDome as well. As for your other ideas, I would like to refer you to our a Feature Request Board, which is available to our paying subscribers. Firms can submit feature requests and upvote existing ones. The requests with the most votes get prioritized. We would like to inform that we are constantly working on the improvement of our features and software. Please let us know if you have any questions or need assistance with anything. We will be happy to assist you. Have a wonderful day.

CA

Catherine A.

This Is A Game Changer Software For Accountants and Tax Preparers

It is a wonderful software. But it was a challenge learning the software. Not that it was difficult, but that there are so many options and things to learn in order to use the software to its full potential. I honestly don't think, in our office, we are utilizing it fully yet.

Pros

The most impactful part of this software is hard to say. There are so many parts of this software that makes it truly stand out from other software. 1. They are up to making ONGOING improvements to the software. They have an area called "Feature Requests" and everyone who uses their software can document a request they would like to have. Then everyone can review those feature requests and vote up...

Cons

Yes, it is a Pro and a Con. We found there were changes being made to the software during tax season that made it very hard to deal with. They should only fix the bugs during tax season unless it was something that makes the change an immediate necessity. I personally don't like the kanban setup. I would like to see the option of an asana or jetpack setup instead. To have that option would be huge. Now that I think of it, I'm going to add that as a feature request. Lol.

Thank you very much, Catherine. Your detailed feedback is very valuable to us. We are happy that you like our Feature Request Board. Our subscribers' satisfaction is crucial to us, and we love when we get requests first-hand from our customers. There are always great ideas, and we can see which features are the most requested ones, and take a step toward development and implementation. Since we are very excited about every update, we can't wait to share it with our subscribers. Thank you for letting us know that the timing is not always perfect. We will take this into consideration. If you have any questions, or need assistance with anythng, please let us know. Have a wonderful day.

JA

John A.

Tax Dome Working Great

I have realized the benefit of a CRM system related to tax preparation. In the workflow / pipeline process, knowing when clients dropped their stuff off or how long you have had their returns as been a huge improvement on efficiency on our end and the client receiving a faster return time. If tax dome updates the issues I listed about this is the best software for the price hands down.

Pros

I like the ease and functionally of tax dome the best. It is very user friend, a lot of my clients have been able to use it as well with very little questions on their end. I love the client portal aspect allowing clients to upload and download documents in a safe and secure manner. We use the signature function as well, not having to go out to a third part software has increased the return time and timing requesting the signatures. The customer service is great schedule a time to help on board or asking questions is very easy. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is great!!!

Cons

The cons are are feel a few and far between and all things that I have been asking about and are supposed to be fixed or updated by the end of the month. For instance e-signature you have to send the document out two for a husband and wife to sign unlike other software you send it one to both email address. The notification may be a little too much but I guess I would rather know what is going on with all my clients than not and reminders to follow up on emails, or documents they have provided. Lastly moving the files from public (client view) to private (firm view) currently is not allowed so you have to delete the file and than upload again which takes additional time, but they assured me this was an update fix at the end of the month as well.

Thank you John, your feedback is valuable to us. We are glad that you find TaxDome software user-friendly. We have made a lot of improvements in requesting for electronic signature in TaxDome and we already have that function that you need. To learn more about requesting e-signature see this link: https://help.taxdome.com/article/146-electronic-signatures#6 With regards to moving documents inside a client account from different folders in TaxDome can be done. Here is the link that you can refer to: https://help.taxdome.com/article/145-how-to-move-documents#1