TherapyNotes

Online mental health EMR and practice management software.

visit website

TherapyNotes Reviews

Mary Kate S.

Billing is so easy and it gives you billing at your finger tips, it is user friendly and the staff is awesome on assisting if you are not sure how to utilize all the features.

Tammi J.

Otherwise, I like all their features and their customer support system is always on top of it and extremely helpful.

Rebeca M.

Howard D.

I have 2 complaints having used one of TherapyNotes competitors at my previous practice. One, I miss having an app on my phone.

Joanne B.

One more complaint: I have been a psychologist for over 25 years.

Marcia R.

My experience with therapy notes after 2 years

Transcript

Melech: Hi, I'm Melech. I am the owner and practitioner of my practice. I purchased TherapyNotes. I would...

Great customer service

Transcript

Jane K.: Hi, my name is Jane and I'm the owner, clinician of my own company. I give TherapyNotes four...

Phenomenal Customer Care!

Therapy Notes consistently provides me with excellent customer service, quick solutions, and supportive information. I have easily gained more in value than the monthly expense, and it is with a great ease of mind that I use them to support myself and my clients. Thanks for all your hard work!

Pros

+Quick Responses +User friendly +Flexible +Easy to learn +Receptive to feedback

Cons

-Cost (but still worth it) -No tele-health/online therapy options or direct client scheduling (yet)

Thanks for the glowing review! There actually is client self scheduling. Call us and we will wall you through setting it up. Thank you!

Initial impression

Overall, very positive experience. Although it proved to be frustrating in the early stages, I realize that I’ve been able to upload a practice of about 30 patients within a month, and get more comfortable with the system.

Pros

I appreciate the cues promoting more detailed and specific treatment planning. I also really like the to do list, accessible from the main page, as well as in each client record. I have found the phone support to be excellent although at times, the wait to speak to a support person can be long. The main reason I continued with therapy notes was the opportunity to use their card services, which appears to have the lowest fees of the more common credit card service providers.

Cons

I would like to be able to more easily customize the reporting aspects of the clinical note and treatment plan. And the billing component has been rather awkward to use. I was, however, dismayed that my application to enroll in credit card services was denied, due to lacking proof of an office lease. I am primarily doing virtual care and so I lease hourly when I need to see a client in person. I am hopeful that the client services support person has found a solution and I should be accepted for credit card services within a couple of days.

TherapyNotes is strong overall but has numerous problems it hasn't addressed since its inception

I wish I had started with a different program. I am not satisfied. I am not all that computer literate and just want something that gets the job done, and I'm too entrenched (and lazy?) to go to something else like SimplePractice. One more complaint: I have been a psychologist for over 25 years. I don't need the condescending ways that TherapyNotes literally PREVENTS YOU from, rather than cautions...

Pros

I like the electronic billing feature and the fact that it receives and allows recording of Electronic Remittance Advice from payers; the scheduling feature; ease of entering initial billing information from electronic ERAs (though there are other huge problems with billing); some aspects of the notes section; customer support by phone (but not via email); hours available for phone support, including weekend; other areas I'm not thinking of at the moment. Even though I can't recommend it, I do think it has many strengths.

Cons

(1) The billing area has countless flaws that my husband, a software developer on Mac and Windows for nearly 40 years, has called to their attention to no avail. When I note these weaknesses, they sound like it's the first time they've heard about it and "pass it on to their team." If you work with Medicare clients or clients who rely on two insurers, watch out. Most Medicare patients have secondary...

Thanks for your feedback. We'll be reaching out directly, particularly so we can clarify what billing issues you're seeing. 1. We're unaware of what flaws you're referring to but, hope to learn more. We do have some improvements coming out soon to improve secondary insurance, so hopefully this will address your concern. 2. We will look into why you received poor email support. The people that answer...

No regrets

I chose this product for the value and the reputation for outstanding support. I've been pleasantly surprised over and over again as they continue to improve on what was already a clean, intuitive program.

Pros

Customer support is superb, especially compared to the practice management software we were using prior. Therapy Notes constantly improves and updates, adding both free and paid features. Updates are never disruptive and always ultimately improve our workflow.

Cons

Enrollment for ERAs, EFTs, and EDI could be smoother- the clearinghouse is a separate entity, and the instructions they provide through Therapy Notes aren't always clear or complete.

Therapy Notes makes billing a Breeze

Therapy Notes made my transition from group practice to private solo practice effortless. They imported my client contact list and populated the demographic info in 1 easy step. They do all the billing from submission to payment with a simple click of a button from me. They provide friendly telephone access to knowledgeable support techniques late evening hours and weekends. They follow up each support call with an email explaining all steps they took during the call and instructions for me to complete any details that may need follow through from me. They make business management a breeze which is saying a lot coming from a completely uninformed therapist like myself. Thank you Therapy Notes😊

Pros

I love the ease of use and practical applications Therapy Notes provides. They do ALL the billing work from submission to payment and they provide telephone access to technicians after hours and weekends.

Cons

I love everything about Therapy Notes. I have zero complaints.

Thank you Tammy for the glowing review!

TherapyNotes The God

Pleasant and never once considered switching given how easy it is to use and how good the customer support is

Pros

Its ease of use and the intuitiveness. Very straightforward. Everything is organized in a way that you can easily find what you're looking for. There's a hidden depth to it for those who want to delve into it too. There's a trick to that ya see. Being deep but not so overwhelmingly upfront about it that it makes the system hard to use.

Cons

Small things like: - not being able to add non-therapists/admins' stuff to the calendar - setting reminders for individual patients isn't an option? - can't create a co-insurance tab, only copay (I believe) - the usual format for all things electronic has "green for yes" where ass some windows in TherpyNotes have a grey box to accept and continue and a green one for "go back" if you will. A bit confusing at first

OUTSTANDING SOFTWARE AND FRIENDLY STAFF

We have been in business since 2011. We started with Therapy Notes and as we grew we changed and went to another software, Big Mistake, we returned to Therapy Notes. We continued to grow and had our billing service contracted out, we had to change software to accommodate the billing company. Another BIG Mistake, not on the billing company just on software, we released the company and returned to Therapy Notes, we will not be moving again......We are pleased with therapy notes and the billing.

Pros

Cons

the billing notes and rejection of claims, are a bit unfriendly. It is hard for me to keep up with who has not paid. On the initial assessment when audit, it lacks the auditors need. We are in NC and the initial assessment require different things than on the psychotherapy intake note.

Easy For All

Overall, I've enjoyed using the product, and look forward to continue using it. The pricing is competitive, especially for a non-profit, this has been a great selling point when compared to other companies.

Pros

I like that the software has a lot of built in features that are handy when starting to use the software. The company has also release a lot of great videos on youtube to help you navigate through the different options and features included in the software. I've used these videos to help find answers to questions. Next, it has been really easy for my clients to use as well. Their portal allows for easy transfer of paperwork and allows for clients to sign things electronically, so clients don't always have to download and sign the document then reupload it.

Cons

At this time, the telehealth feature doesn't have all the bells and whistles that Zoom or Microsoft Teams (MT) has. This is, from my understanding, a new feature so I hope they continue to work on this. Screen share or screen flipping would be helpful as I used these a lot during sessions when I used MT. It would also be useful if when you entered into the telehealth feature, it would open into a separate window so that you could still access the client's file or library.

Therapy Notes Review

Excellent. The customer service is responsive and courteous. I receive extremely prompt responses to my questions

Pros

The ease of use and ability to move through the fields quickly. The reliability, I have never had a connectivity issue

Cons

As a Nurse Practitioner I hope electronic prescribing is an option in the future

Easy to navigate and understand

On-time billing capability with quick reimbursements.

Pros

The billing and note writing format is the best part about this app.

Cons

Sometimes the sever times out. Though Google calendar syncing is an awesome feature, I’m definitely looking forward to a downloadable app.

Excellent value and customer service

All in all, I am extremely satisfied with the software and believe that the issues mentioned will eventually also be ironed out.

Pros

This software is excellently priced for what you get, and they are constantly adding new features. The more I use it, the more I replace other platforms and my practice becomes more integrated. Additionally, their customer service professionals have never failed to answer my questions efficiently, professionally, and honestly (in the cases when a requested feature is not available).

Cons

While most of the software is intuitive and simple, as with all software there is a learning curve for some of the more intermediate and advanced features. There are aspects of the software that I wish were more customizable (specifically intake documentation). Their telehealth interface is fairly new and seems to take more bandwidth than other platforms, sometimes resulting in grainy pictures or dropped calls if both parties have a less than strong internet service. Lastly, a practice-wide email function would be helpful, especially in recent times when messaging about safety protocols have been so dynamic.

Overall Experience with TherapyNotes

I have also been impressed with the quality of the customer service with the support staff agent. The agent that assisted me one evening in particular, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was knowledgeable, friendly, and prompt in resolving my issues that had stalled my work previously. Much appreciated and will highly recommend!

Pros

TherapyNotes was relatively easy to use after practicing some changes when crossing over from a different EHR (Theranest). After a month of practice, I found the documentation was relatively easy for daily progress notes and the psychosocial intake components. I particularly liked the intake section where it divides the areas of psychosocial with the specific questioner. Another plus is scheduling...

Cons

The one thing I do find problematic with Therapynotes is the treatment plan section. The document allows the clinical to enter the approximate length of treatment however it does not allow for a clinical to set a review date (of 30, 60, or 90 days). This technically means Therappnotes does not generate a reminder for a clinical to review a treatment plan and resolve, complete, and or change with a selected review date in mind. That has been a rather frustrating experience and can possibly lead to audit issues.

Thank you for the glowing review! Actually, you can set the treatment plan review reminders! Visit The To-Do List Settings page. The default is 90 days, but you can adjust this value for your needs. Enjoy!

Excellent Product, could use some tweaks; Using it over 10 years

I have long enjoyed the TherapyNotes system and often recommend it. It is an ever evolving therapist oriented office support platform and I have always found it to be helpful. I am struggling with it, at this time however, because I am having to (at 53 y.o) learn how to do my own billing and am often lost in these very spooky woods alone. Superivising someone else's organization and simply paying attention to generated reports is a very different experience to running my own practice without a dedicated billing support team.

Pros

Simple, elegant, excellent User Interface; Easily Learned; Excellent ease of record entry, maintenance, and search; Internet accessibility; Marvelous Calendar system; Amazing Customer Support team.

Cons

Benefits and billing system needs to be integrated into the package; I have been unable to write notes and bill according to my own method (free form progress note without DAP/SOAP/etc format); notes are completely reliant upon connection to treatment plan in software which does not allow me to write a note in my best manner and to bill afterwards. I need a billing professional connected with my efforts...

TherapyNotes customer review by a Psychotherapist in Private Practice.

TherapyNotes has become an integral part of running my psychotherapy private practice. Practically, it lets me expedite payment and submission of claims to insurance companies, has allowed me to automate and streamline the more cumbersome accounting, chart keeping, and record keeping tasks of running a business, as well as a therapy practice in particular. Aside from the platform allowing me to keep...

Pros

Ease of use, automation of time-consuming tasks, their frequently updated blog of helpful industry information, Customer Service.

Cons

Integrated Telehealth, which they are currently in the process of implementing.

Thank you David for the 5-star review! Our new telehealth platform has been well received and works great! I encourage you to give it a try. Thanks!

My Love/Hate Relationship with This Software

As a therapist, sometimes I feel like being with TN is akin to staying in a bad relationship. They don't actually promise anything but I keep staying because I keep hoping/believing they're going to come through one day and offer these features (i.e. fillable client intake forms that transfer the data into my intake note, a mobile app, and a two-way calendar). TN is also charging the same amount...

Pros

The good: First, TherapyNotes has outstanding customer service. The staff is friendly, knowledgeable, and able to troubleshoot issues within minutes after I've wrestled for hours trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Secondly, ease of billing. I have been with this service since 2015 and I've tried about four other EHR products, but I keep coming back to TN because of the ease of billing....

Cons

The bad: They consistently refuse to provide the simplest of features requested by their users. I am intentionally using the word "refuse" because it is clearly a choice made by TN. I asked TN in September 2016 if they would EVER implement an electronic intake form. TN told me they were "working on it" and gave me an estimate of December 2016. It actually didn't happen until several months later,...

Thank you for the review, Jennifer. We have a team of full-time developers working on TherapyNotes, and we are adding new features and improvements as quickly as we can, and the portal has been of significant priority. In addition to the Patient Information Form, we recently released the Patient Contact Form, and more forms and portal features are in development now. It is certainly not a matter of us refusing to add features, it's just a matter of getting to everything we want to accomplish.

Therapynotes is true to the promises it makes to customers

Pros

I run a small practice and I do most of my own billing, scheduling and of course documentation of my client's progress. This program is comprehensive and easy to use. What really makes this company better than the others in the field is their customer service. Plainly speaking the other companies I've tried offered little or no useable customer service, which resulted in my getting "stuck" on how to use their systems - and having to wait several hours or even days to get an answer on how to use a particular feature.

Cons

Compared to other programs I have used, Therapynotes just doesn't have things I dislike.

Best EHR for Mental Health Practices

Please see below...

Pros

I love the overall professional presentation of the software. It is clear that Therapy Notes values this and that they work hard to not compromise this. It plays out in the way that they will take their time to carefully design and implement new features and the existing ones are relevant and well thought out. It is evident that they are concerned most with ethics and best practice in the mental healthcare field and not in pleasing everyone because designing a database is not in most clinician's wheelhouse. They have a big job with what they do and this clinician appreciates how they are doing it and the fruits of their labor.

Cons

I do wish the portal could be a little more robust but again, this is something that I know they are working on and there are details that they are considering that are out of my scope.

Thanks for the great review! Yep, we continue to add functionality to the portal. Stay tuned to our blog for updates.

Beyond Outstanding!

A+++++ EXCEPTIONAL, FAST AND ACCOMMODATING CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM A COMPANY I FEEL IS A TRUE TEAM WHO UNDERSTANDS ME AS A PROFESSIONAL (AND HUMAN BEING) AND THEY ARE ALWAYS, ALWAYS WILLING TO HELP ME IF A HARDSHIP ARISES AND WILL HONOR THAT EACH TIME BY HELPING ME OR ANYONE ELSE (as long as it doesn't become a continuous habit). They're truly amazing. I LOVE this company!

Pros

Therapy Notes (as an organization) provides optimal, timely, friendly & solution-focused customer service for any need I've called about. They are EXTREMELY UNDERSTANDING if you experience a Hardship of Financial setback (I was diagnosed with Lupus) and will do ALL it takes to accommodating your needs to help get you back on track. Their software interace is extremey user-friendly (setting up your...

Cons

I'd say the ONE thing that makes it Exceptional::: LOL:::: The program forces providers to complete their clinical documentation within 24-48 hours. Unless you do so, the system blocks your ability to "bill" (and get paid!!) Ugh (but it's a good thing!) I wish they'd develop an APP. I've been asking them for almost 4 years, yet they don't have one? Despite making several other changes to their system...

Thank you Katie for the A+++++ review! Yes we do require notes before you can submit claims, but to be clear there is no "24-48 hour" requirement. You can do your notes whenever you want, as long as you do it before you bill. We haven't prioritized an app because we have so much else we want to accomplish. Plus, you CAN use TherapyNotes on your mobile device in your web browser, and you can push your appointments to your smart phone's mobile calendar. Please check the knowledgebase for instructions on how to do that. Thanks again! :)

TherapyNotes- A revolution in Behavioral Health Billing and EHR

Submitting claims for the entire day of work takes anywhere between 10 seconds to 4 minutes tops depending on if anything needs changed before it is submitted. The scheduling calendar is a breeze with the ability to see multiple locations and multiple providers at the same time, or restrict it to one provider at all locations, all providers at one location, or any configuration of that you can think...

Pros

The price charged, along with what you get is incomparable, this software is head and shoulders above the competition. TherapyNotes has solved 99% of our Billing and EHR issues. When issues do arise, we are able to get a representative on the phone within 1 minute flat, (this is record time, EVERY time.) and they are always extremely helpful, knowledgeable, and can SOLVE any problem. The one and only problem I still have, is already in the works for the next update to solve, and TherapyNotes staff has provided such an easy workaround in the meantime, that it has become nearly a non-issue. It is an extremely user friendly interface, and we have come to find that any mistake made within the system (Billing/health records/you name it) can be reversed, without any issues.

Cons

The Doctors had a hard time, when the office first transitioned to TherapyNotes, getting the notes completed. (All notes regarding a patient's visit on that date of service need to be completed before that DOS claim can be sent out. There is no deadline to complete them, you just can't send the claim until they are completed) Once the clinicians adjusted to writing their notes in a timely fashion, they too have concluded that they much prefer TherapyNotes over our old software (NueMD) which was MUCH more costly, for extensively less features that are beneficial to a behavioral health practice.

Very comprehensive, user friendly, and overall fantastic EHR/Billing software!

Overall a really pleasant experience with TN. Highly recommended!

Pros

- Comprehensive and robust charting system - Pre-populated progress notes from dx and treatment goals from intake / 1st treatment plan making completing half of the note a breeze! - Pre-populated interventions list, or create your own - Fantastic ability to submit claims electronically with ease making the billing process a breeze! ERA’s (EOB’s in electronic format) come straight from the clearinghouse...

Cons

- Sometimes the billing can get confusing due to the complexity of the process of billing with insurance in general. - No telehealth module yet! Once HIPAA complaint video confrerencing comes, TN will truly be an ideal fully comprehensive easy to use platform! Looking forward to it!

Above & Beyond!!

TherapyNotes has the most outstanding customer service of Any company in which I've ever conducted business. Each time I call them they respond within 1-2 hours with a Solution to my inquiry. When I have certain requests pertaining to my practice or TN account, they willingly and generously support my concerns and do whatever it takes to work with me so that my practice succeeds. I could go on and on with this answer but simply put, I'm so grateful I "stumbled" upon this company and EHR softward progam because I've had ZERO issues with them at all and would highly recommend them to any person seeking a new documentation system!

Pros

TherapyNotes EHR is an outstanding software for my private counseling practice. It's ease of use and ample "help" section makes it simple for me to learn anything I have questions about --most of the time without even needing to call them. I've been a customer since 2016 and have only positive feedback to give. Use the free-trial offer. I did and have no regrets.

Cons

Regarding TherapyNotes, there are only 2 things that cross my mind now and then. 1) I'd like for them to develop a mobile app. I mentioned this to them and they were very receptive stating they were in the process of doing so. I'm looking forward to that! 2) I'd LOVE if TN created Intake forms that could be tailored to individual practices (i.e. insert company name here) If demographic, consent, HIPPA, cancellation, etc. forms were incorporated into the program and could be easily send to new clients through the patient portal , it would save me a ton of time and allow me to concentrate on providing therapy rather than on the necessary paperwork that is required.

Excellent Company

Excellent company I have been with Therapy Notes for over three years and have never had a bad experience with the product or the service. They go above and beyond to make sure you as a provider or user have the help and support you need. They are constantly making improvements in the software and they make taking care of the paperwork end of business so easy. I have had pleasant and great experiences...

Pros

I like everything about it. It is user friendly, if you need help the support team is exceptional. Notes are professional and clear, easy to read, treatment plans are wonderfully easy and all you need for notes are available for documentation. Their billing is easy and support is a phone call or email away. I have used the product for 3 years plus and have never had a bad experience with the company. It keeps confidentiality, and ease of keeping client information in a safe place.

Cons

There isn't anything I don't like about this software.

Grateful for this product

TherapyNotes has been a win/win/win move!

Pros

I changed to this software mostly because they had an actual number you could call for tech support. I am a therapist and I have little time between clients, am not a tech savvy person, and have lots to think about, so it was very difficult to ask a question by chat and wait 2 or 3 days for an answer that might or might not apply. Also the software we were using kept upping the cost and this was...

Cons

Payor set up was a little challenging. We needed more explanation.

Thank you for your kind words!

Software effectiveness

I am in the promotional period and so far I am impressed by the delivery of service. The ability to import treatment plan information right into the notes saves time, because they do it for you. They are always available to support you every step of the way.

Pros

What I like most is the ease of use or adding patients, payers, and notes. I am able to set reminders for these features, create my own templates and add them to my library for myself or organizations use. Sending documents though the client portal is amazing, there is no need for print, fax or encrypted emails to get authorizations signed it is done electronically. Telehealth is included free! CUSTOMER SUPPORT IS THE BEST.

Cons

For special cases ie. Minor clients requiring multiple caregiver access to the client portal would need two account for the same client. It is not hard to do, however developing a portal link for such cases would be great! The pricing is reasonable, I don't like the individual charges in addition to the subscription cost. Such as submitting the billing claim to insurance is charged as additional cost per client. This can add up if bulk claims are not authorized by some payors. A portal link for Child welfare cases would be great! accepting credit cards is also an add on feature charge per transaction.

Great product

Overall Therapy Notes is great and my office is sticking with it! I can't wait to see the updates in the future to see how they improve. The price is great as well and they are always helpful!

Pros

This software is super easy to use and has a lot of great features! Their customer service is amazing and they take feedback from their users to make improvements! I love that that it has everything all in one and it makes scheduling, billing, and note taking extremely simple and conveniently fast! There is a client portal included which makes it easy for clients to schedule and submit documents that you have requested. The note templates are helpful and make it easy to make sure you have all the information you are needing in the note. Updates come out all the time with improvements which shows they are using the feedback! They also include a telehealth platform which makes online appointments easy to access and they just added a share screen option!

Cons

Therapy Notes is great but it is missing some features that other programs have. There is no app or client messaging like other popular programs which would make it easier to see scheduling or client messages on the go or when out of the office. Also the telehealth platform is improving but it does not allow multiple participants and the share screen only allows you to share your entire desktop instead of specific windows which can be a little annoying.