Justworks Reviews

4.72/5 (132 reviews)
Pros
  • JustWorks is easy to set up and maintain. It's a great product to help companies become organized in their directory, payroll, and benefits.Jan Michael U.Read the full review
  • It made it super easy to check my pay stubs and benefits and employer information all on a friendly user interface.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
  • Their platform is so easy to use and has saved me countless hours in benefits enrollment and administration.Kristin N.Read the full review
Cons
  • A 0.6% drag on your 401(k) will equate to losing about 16% of your retirement balance due to all the lost compounding effects, and that's before any additional fees are factored in.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
  • Poor communication and a very sloppy transition have left me needing to refund employees for lost benefits. This more than negates any company savings we hoped to reap by switching to this.Benjamin H.Read the full review
  • Integration with the 401K provider (Slavic) is poor. Cross-communication, confusing to set up and hard to get a straight answer from either side.Jim C.Read the full review
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Liam Munley

The New Age of HR Administration (or lack thereof)

Reviewed 2019-07-22

From the educational experience during the sales discovery process to the assistance and round-the-clock availability of our account manager, during onboarding and implementation, I was insanely impressed by the account management capabilities of such a young team. Every JustWorks email is like a small monthly birthday gift where more often than not, they're rolling out a new feature or enhancement, potentially even one you recommended to the Product Team! It's the exact type of engagement you would hope for out of a company focused on propelling the employee experience with a highly adoptable product that will continue to grow into a large presence in this space.

Pros
The ease of implementation and administration and as the title assumes, the lack of need of direct oversight of the process. New hires are able to very quickly and simply understand the navigation of the tool and streamline themselves through 90% of the pre-employment paperwork without need from the admin. Just a simple user interface that allows you to intuitively find anything you need in regard to your daily life as an employee and really person within your organization.

Cons
Just some slight growth areas needed in terms of integrations and partners for them. As a young company, they have a bit to go before they can really offer the capabilities of a company such as ADP but what they offer in replacement of those makes it all worth it.

Chris Cardinal

Justworks does what it says on the tin

Reviewed 2019-11-07

The team there is hyper responsive and knows their stuff. Onboarding was phenomenal, considering how complex an operation it is to onboard. They move you seamlessly from sales rep to onboarding rep to ongoing support rep, and you end up with a dedicated rep that knows your business. They handle compliance really well, and their Slack support is fantastic. It's great to have a resource I can tap for questions on compliance or policy, and the ThinkHR integration offers even more resources. My employees love OneMedical, Health Advocate, and Teledoc. Love love. Having a self-service onboarding process is really great and simplifies our onboarding dramatically. Using a PEO helps with having remote employees across the country. Much less to worry about around taxes and compliance there.

Pros
Justworks is a compelling PEO offering that brings a lot of advantages to helping manage a growing company. I'd run payroll myself for 15 years, so moving to a PEO that has my back is nice. Any consideration of moving to a PEO has to come with factoring cost savings around insurance products. Justworks represented a significant cost savings in my first year, but in the second year, our renewals still jumped 10%, which was frustrating. I was hoping we'd be more insulated to those sort of increases. From a payroll platform perspective, Justworks is really nice. It basically offers fully automated payroll, though there are some things that could be improved with how it integrates with time trackers, how it manages PTO requests, and some other nits to pick. They've done a great job of being responsive and adding functionality over the past year, and they're a tech-first company so I'm confident it'll just continue to improve.

Cons
There are a couple of limitations that are vexing, verging on boneheaded: * PTO requests don't show remaining balance for the PTO plan * Unpaid time off is a manual ordeal * There's no mobile app, and the website isn't responsive. Not a huge dealbreaker, since I'm not doing too much payroll from my phone, but still * No expense management or reimbursement scheduling. It's just a manual process. * QBO integration is weak, but I've been promised it'll improve

Matt Clark

Fantastic

Reviewed 2019-11-07

Justworks i sby far one of the best service providers that I've worked with across any discipline. The software is easy to use, the help is fantastic, and the support options (email, phone, or my favorite: Slack) are top notch. Whenever I have a question, whether about the software or about a specific payroll or benefits question, I hop on Slack and am able to chat with a representative within a couple of minutes. I've found them universally to be knowledgeable and helpful.

Pros
Justworks of course isn't just a software package, but the software itself is top notch. It's easy to use, a complete solution, and makes it easy to adminster our entire workforce quickly. If I had to pick the best attribute, it would be management of payroll. Prior to Justworks we had bounced around between a few different payroll providers, and the experience was subpar. With Justworks it's point and click, and I can walk away with confidence knowing that it will be done correctly.

Cons
I would like to see more training offerings built into the platform, for example a general training course for new managers, but I can't think of any other offerings that are lacking.

GREG DRAKE

unpleasant experience

Reviewed 2019-02-15

Terrible experience. This company is growing to quickly and doesn't have experienced staff. They are not clear in their communication, multiple times telling us one thing and delivering another. We have been onboard Since Jan 1 and will be canceling. No amount of health care discount is worth the hassle.

Pros
solid software. Easy to use. Clearly the only advantage they have one their competitors.

Cons
calendars are not updated enough in advance so you know when non-payroll items are deducted from your account.

Likelihood to recommend: 0/10

Shannon Pershinsky

So Happy I Made the Switch to JustWorks!

Reviewed 2019-11-07

My team and I evaluated several PEO options before ultimately choosing to go with JustWorks. JustWorks was the most cost-effective, with the best benefit offerings for my employees, the most intuitive user interface and allowed me to have the most control of all of my employee's data.

Pros
The tool is extremely user-friendly. I did very limited training for my employees to learn how to use it because of the intuitive user-interface. The Customer Support team is fantastic! I can call up my Account Manager or quickly use the chat feature and I always get a quick and friendly response and a resolution to my question or issue.

Cons
The services may not be as comprehensive as other PEO systems, but my Account Manager is always quick to recommend a tool or service that would be compatible (example: applicant tracking system).

Irina Kogan

Justworks Platform

Reviewed 2019-11-08

The breakdown of all fees and taxes is very transparent in the system which allows me to produce accurate reports for the management with minimal effort. Great customer service allows to solve issues and get my questions answered without any wait time.

Pros
The software is very easy to use, the screens are very intuitive and user-friendly. The information presented in a very clean and efficient form, screens are easy to navigate and understand. The platform offers a variety of services from payroll management, payroll compliance, training, HR tools, and benefit coverage at a very competitive price.

Cons
There are some reporting that has not been fully developed yet. It is definitely not a show stopper but a very nice and convent feature to have. Since I am a system administrator and act as a VP of Finance for the company I work for, collecting data for reporting purposes is not readily available and requires massaging data.

Gini Perri

Justworks is THE BEST!

Reviewed 2019-11-07

Love love love Justworks! Their customer service is superb... every single person I’ve dealt with at their company has been professional, knowledgeable and so helpful!

Pros
We love Justworks! After working with a few other PEO’s, we can confidently say that Justworks is the best around! Their software is user friendly and simple and their customer service is top notch!

Cons
The only improvement I’d love is some sorta of notifications for calendar events- ie. Admins or managers get emails prior to a team members birthday, team anniversary, pto.

Anonymous

Justworks Is Amazing

Reviewed 2019-11-07

Pros
What I truly like is the clarity on what we are being charged. I also enjoy how easy it is to use.

Cons
The only thing I don’t like is it doesn’t have time tracking abilities for hourly employees. We have to use an outside tracking software.

Sirius Monaco

Justworks has been lifesaving

Reviewed 2019-11-07

Overall Experience has been great. Very easy program to use and to teach. We've had two account managers so far and they both have been AMAZING.

Pros
As both and admin and a user, the software's interface and functionality is very easy to use.

Cons
Invoices are not able to be converted to a pdf. That is something I'd like to see them improve.

Luke Frederick

Puts all of my human resources needs onto one site.

Reviewed 2019-12-03

For a smaller company that doesn't necessarily need a full time human resources department this site is a no brainier. It keeps track of everything that an employee needs for their personal use.

Pros
Justworks is a super easy site to navigate. I am able to easily deal with any benefits that I am given by my company and start or cancel them when ever I want to. Having all my pay stubs in one place has also made it easy to keep track of my compensation.

Cons
There aren't many cons for Justworks for what I use it for. Maybe it can be a little bit easier to navigate but that is pretty nit-picky.

Scott Leonard

Justworks is an excellent PEO for small business

Reviewed 2020-02-27

Justworks is a PEO, which stands for Professional Employment Organization. The software is the tool you use to administrate most of your company's activities with the PEO. PEO's come in various business models, but here is the way to think about them: if you are a small business that wants to outsource payroll AND a full set of benefits (health insurance, 401K, dental insurance, workers comp, short term disability, long term disability, paid holidays, paid time off) to your full-time employees), one of your best options is to use a PEO. For payroll, tax and benefit purposes, Justworks becomes the "employer" of your employees. You remain the employer in terms of hire/fire/train/ performance appraisal. You select what benefits you want to offer, and have fairly good flexibility on whether you want the "gold plated" benefits or the "just good enough" benefits or something in between. As the employer, you pay roughly $80 - $99 per month per full time employee for payroll services, plus the cost of the benefits you choose to provide to your employees. As a very small business, using a PEO was by far the best option for me to provide big-company benefits.

Pros
When I shopped about two years ago, Justworks was by far the best AND lowest cost option. Justworks customer support (think of them as your Human Resources department for benefits and payroll) is top notch. We get answers to our questions within a few hours, and have always gotten satisfactory responses to issue. Their payroll service has always been satisfactory, and they allow my company to offer "big company" benefits.

Cons
I really have no complaints about Justworks. When I was shopping for PEOs, I found lots of nightmare reviews of all the other PEOs I found. The large payroll companies also have terrible reviews. I never found a bad review of Justworks, and now I know why. They are a great service provider. The only way I can imagine leaving them is if my company grows so large that it makes sense to have an internal HR and payroll department.

Maggie Campbell

JustWorks saves us time and keeps our HR organized

Reviewed 2020-02-27

We are small and do not need to spend a ton of time/resources on HR right now, but we do have HR needs. JustWorks has been a great way to gently launch into managing payroll and becoming familiar with other benefits we can add in the near future, as we add employees. (Since we only have 2 employees right now and only one is full time, we are not yet eligible for health benefits.) I find the payroll transactions very easy to follow. I do the bookkeeping for the business, as well, but we don't use your automatic Quickbooks feed at this point.

Pros
I love that JustWorks handles all filing and calculations for payroll and also offers benefit options you can add as your company size grows. I find it incredibly easy to use and navigate and, on the few instances where I've had questions, I can often find the info in FAQx. We started using JustWorks last year with 2 employees (one PT, one FT) and can handle payroll very easily + it will be a breeze to add other benefits (health, etc.) as we're eligible. I like that I get notifications about deadlines, as well as updates on relevant state law changes that may affect us. One feature I especially like that I didn't even really consider before we started using the software is that access to templates for creating employee handbooks/policies, etc. Since we're small and growing, these things are important to do, but I don't think we'd tackle them as early in the process if we didn't have solid templates to start with that only required moderate modifications.

Cons
Some of the benefits eligibility is difficult to navigate, but I have a feeling that's more a function of that information being dense, rather than it being unavailable. One thing I've tried to do several times is to download a PDF of our biweekly payroll invoices (our company payroll costs + employer/employee tax breakdown) and that feature is unavailable. I always end up printing it and saving as a PDF, but would much prefer that I could just download a PDF of our broken down bill.

MAria GRAzia Cocchiara-Klein

Justworks review.

Reviewed 2019-11-07

Our reps. have been wonderful., easy tp reach, work hard to get our problems resolved in a short space of time. I have a million questions all the time am they are very patient and helpful. The reporting system needs work, the outside 401k need more integration and Wage works needs to be set up with better integration and more information. IT is impossible getting an answer to a question. Their serve needs to be updated wot link with yours.

Pros
I love the user-friendliness of this software. I love the panels and clarity of the pages, the dashboard and the size of the font and that I can see in the side panels a directory of what I can choose. When I can't find something, I can open these windows and usually find what I am looking for another lead to it. I like the breakdown of all fees and workers comp etc and I love that I can see itemized lists when I check the invoicing, where as ADP had a lump sum, hidden fees and no real list of costs. Justworks seems to be much more transparent

Cons
The 401K reporting is not informative enough to be consistent with my admin needs for our plan outside of Justworks.Generally the 401 Administration is not as user friendly and making changes to payroll and 401 deferrals has proven to be more complex and less user friendly. I was not able to adjust my colleagues 401 after she was placed on Paid Family Leave. ITR was more complicated and assistances was required as there was not a real way to know what was needed in order to set up this alternate payment while PFL was being utilized. Also the Wageworkers benefits system is also not integrated well. IT is a problem on their end. Their service has been really inconsistent, however JW helped us hand their inadequacies.

Evan Ehrenberg

Justworks for a Series A tech startup

Reviewed 2020-02-27

We've used Gusto before, which was also good, but found Justworks to be more affordable and useful at the point that we started adding benefits instead of just payroll.

Pros
24/7 live support via Slack is a game changer that I wish every provider would offer. Software itself is very easy to use and setup, benefits are extensive so you can really customize to your team's needs. So much just happens on its own without my involvement which is great.

Cons
Not much functionality around contractors, and can't handle international contractors at all I believe, so we have to use other solutions here. Also no way to schedule recurring reimbursements for benefits that aren't part of the ones they offer already (like if you want to reimburse for a monthly gym membership that isn't ClassPass).

Allison Gorman

Justworks is a big time saver

Reviewed 2019-09-27

Justworks has been a huge time saver for us. Onboarding and terminations are so much easier, payroll essentially runs itself, but perhaps the biggest perk is the great, affordable benefits we now have access to. In the end, even with the JW annual fees, we've saved a lot of money, and provided really great benefits to our employees.

Pros
The ease of onboarding has saved me countless hours.

Cons
I wish the PTO visibility was a bit easier for employees.

Meri Weber

Easy Transistion

Reviewed 2019-09-27

Overall my experience with Justworks has been very good. I transitioned from a large PEO that offered a lot more services than I needed and I was not really sure what I was paying at times. I have found Justworks offers everything I need to easily process payroll, including bonuses, and the health insurance program is actually better at least for my family than what I was getting in the past. There have been times when I needed help fixing things I did incorrectly or just special circumstances and the Justworks staff was very happy to help me out.

Pros
The Justworks product is pretty intuitive so makes it easy to use. My company is in the technology industry so I need a product that my staff can quickly tap into when needed but that doesn't require babysitting .

Cons
I don't like that the payroll reports download in a spreadsheet that I personally find less readable than I would like. I would prefer a simple report format that lists each person's' details similar to a check stub and then provides a summary. I am not a trained accountant or bookkeeper so I appreciate things being super simple.

Robert Wright

Straightforward Dashboard with Excellent Support

Reviewed 2020-02-27

Overall my experience with JustWorks has been a positive one. Their support team are easy to access and answer questions quickly.

Pros
Employee and contractor management solutions are super easy and straightforward. Benefits solution, including the Time Off options, are also easy to use and administer. Employees love the simple dashboard used for accessing review docs, submitting time off requests, and accessing contractor contacts.

Cons
Wish vendors were treated like contractors, with the ability to store documents associated with vendors and add them to company directory.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

April Loebick

I never thought I'd love a PEO

Reviewed 2020-02-27

I love Justworks. We've used both PayChex and ADP in the past and have had horrible experiences. The switch to Justworks has been amazing. It's made my day-to-day work so much more streamlined and less stressful

Pros
The platform is easy to use and user friendly. The customer service has been absolutely phenomenal!

Cons
Reporting could be improved, but I know that this is something they're constantly working on.

Juliette Dupre

Justworks leads the PEO market

Reviewed 2020-02-27

If you get a good account manager you are all set. But that's key.

Pros
This is The Most User-Friendly software for my employees to experience

Cons
There are still some features that aren't well thought out, such as tracking and paying hourly employee time, problematic birthday features, and details like that.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Coleen Barbiere

Wonderful tool for our small business.

Reviewed 2019-07-01

The set up process was very smooth and the customer support is excellent.

Pros
It is very user friendly. Easy to use, easy to maneuver as an administrator and user.

Cons
Nothing I have found yet......it all works very well.

Christa Kotter

Incredible Admin and Employee Support

Reviewed 2019-09-27

I have found exemplary employees in all aspects of the process (sales, onboarding rep, account rep, HR support, accounting). I feel thankful every day that I have the support and guidance of Justworks to help navigate the complexities of payroll, benefits, and compliance.

Pros
The customer service is unmatched with some of the more well known brands. The website is very intuitive, and easy to use. If you do have a problem, or question, there is no ticket system where it takes forever to get a rep. You have a dedicated, accessible account manager who is your go to, and can also work with the 24/7 support team. Instead of every question going through you as an admin, their support team is very hands on and works with your employees as well.

Cons
There have been a few limitations on the PTO system that I have had to find workarounds to, though I believe this is going to be corrected in the next few months.

Jessica Oliver

I use JustWorks everyday to keep track of all my HR needs. From payroll to 401K and tracking PTO.

Reviewed 2018-05-16

Pros
I love the ease of JustWorks platform. We used another PEO before switching to JustWorks and all reporting and features were third party integrations that never worked. JustWorks is a one stop shop and has updated access to anything and everything you may need. Their on-boarding process is detailed and customer focused and they even answered questions from my team about insurance concerns. They walked me through the transition step by step and were available immediately to answer any questions I had. I could go on for days about how much easier JustWorks has made my job!

Cons
Because JustWorks is so new, there are a few reports that they haven't implemented yet. We have a PTO accrual system that rolls over every year but maxes out at 96 hours (this changes based on goals) and JustWorks has no way to track this. Once a day is used, it can be recouped by working another month, encouraging employees to take time off. It's been difficult for me to try and track this and when asked about it, JustWorks said it's not something they have developed yet.

Kirsten Poole

Great people, great value

Reviewed 2020-02-27

The people - sales, account managers and help desk folks - are all really great. They are patient with multiple questions and are very responsive. I love the Slack channel!

Pros
All of the features are very user friendly, for both admins and end users.

Cons
There isn't an integration with Quickbooks Desktop so I have to enter the transactions manually. Also, I am not able to customize reports as much as I would like.

Hadar Bar-Kat

Best UI, best value for money, can upgrade their customer support

Reviewed 2019-11-08

I'm very happy with their platform, services and prices. Chose to renew our subscription for two years in a row. Others can't compete with their great pricing and their platform.

Pros
The information is very accessible, the look and feel is 21st century compares to others I've tried in the past. I can find anything I need about employees, payroll and more within 2 minutes max.

Cons
The customer support can be better. They are very pleasant but are not always on top of things when it comes to different states or open issues. I've had to follow up with our account manager on different issues and once actually insisted on getting a new rep due to a series problem they created for us.

Jessica Tepfenhardt

Great product, decent customer service

Reviewed 2019-09-27

Sales team was very professional and informative. A few instances where we assumed something that wasn't the case, but they are very open to hearing suggestions and easy to get in touch with. If you need strong HR support, it might not be the best option, it seems that they have very "canned" responses when dealing with HR questions. But the overall system & ease of use is fantastic.

Pros
Very easy to use, great standardized reports

Cons
Nothing. It is very easy to use and great support.