QuickBooks Payroll Logo

Reviews by rating

Suggested alternatives

workforcenow
rippling

Using QBO for my business has been extremely helpful and easy to use. I have been very pleased with QuickBooks Payroll service since I started using the product and the cost is well worth it.
I enjoy the excellent customer service provided each time I have called in. Each representative is patient, kind and you can hear the smile on the other end of the phone.
Wonderful software especially for start-ups to set up payroll and ensure all proper taxes, commission, and more is done accurately and easily. Gives great confidence payroll is accurate.
Some of the updates can be frustrating as well as the importing features (lost files, duplicate files, etc).

EF

Eva F.

bookkeeper

Accounting, self-employed

Great option for all sizes of businesses!

Transcript

Eva: Hi, my name is Eva. I am a bookkeeper. I gave QuickBooks Payroll five stars. For more reviews like...

AW

Alissa W.

operations director

Education Management, 11-50 employees

Reliable and accurate

Transcript

Alissa: Hi, my name is Alissa and I'm operations director for a nonprofit. I give QuickBooks Payroll...

Leilani F.

Quickbooks Review

I love using Quickbooks and will continue to utilize its software.

Pros

what i liked most about Quickbooks is that i can easily track and organize transactions, manage and organize expenses from anywhere, quickly reconcile your accounts and gain control of your cash flow.

Cons

Theres nothing i disliked about the software.

KJ

Kathy J.

QuickBooks review

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was great; however, it took me over 30 minutes to get to him. Once I got to him, he was able to resolve my issue pretty quickly. He was very professional and knowledgeable.

Pros

Entering and sending payroll is very easy, generally.

Cons

It is difficult to access some information and not everything transferred over from our desktop version as it should have.

BE

Bruce E.

Retail, 11-50 employees

They are so large now they make it difficult to speak with someone.

In the beginning the customer service was great, but over the years it has deteriorated. I still have on going issues where the mistaken filed my taxes under the wrong id number (the number was transposed) creating a issue with our Dept of labor unknow to me until years later. After, numerous calls, speaking to someone the issue is still a problem. Hey, mistakes happen lets just get it fixed. Now my employees have not received their pay, and now no one is available to let you know the issue.

Pros

When everything is good, things are great. But, when you have problem, (and you will sometime) they make it so difficult to get answers and issues resolved. When you a problem it will be a big issue and no one is around to help. You try chat, most of the time that doesn't resolve the issue, or question you may have. Have them call you back, that may or may not happen, but it won't happen in the time...

Cons

Software is great, but if you don't have customer service to support the software, the software become worthless. Because you will have issues and will need help.

KR

Kenneth R.

Broadcast Media, 1-10 employees

Quick books have room for improvement like any other software but it is the best for a small busines

In the beginning contacting support was an issue but truthfully everything has been great.

Pros

I Love how I can save time creating and sending invoices from the QuickBooks browser version and mobile app. This is a big deal for me.

Cons

The mobile app could be upgraded. Sometimes it hangs up.

SE

Salvador E.

Events Services, 1-10 employees

Simple solution to running payroll via mobile device

My overall experience with both the software and support have been nothing but the best. I think the best feature of Quickbooks Payroll is the service you receive when talking with a solutions agent.

Pros

I enjoy the use of the mobile app to easily review payroll and pay my employees in a timely manner. I also enjoy the functionality of time sheets compatibility to payroll.

Cons

There is nothing. The call back with support is amazing and is withing a reasonable time period to reach back out when I needed the service.

DC

Debbie C.

Construction, 11-50 employees

Best in house payroll software EVER!

Love Love Love it! I recommend all small businesses use this program. It will also file you taxes for you.

Pros

I love the reminders QB payroll gives me. I get busy and I have different employees on different pay schedules and QB reminds me to pay on time. The amount of lines I can use for commission, Mileage, Bonuses etc... it what makes this such a great program

Cons

It does not track commission to a specific job via the payroll check. Other than that it's awesome.

KR

Kathy R.

QuickBooks is Awesome

Pros

It is user friendly. Makes accounting more efficient. Reports provide all necessary information.

Cons

There isn't anything that I don't like about this software.

TC

TRACY C.

Environmental Services, 11-50 employees

Quickbooks Payroll

Amazing customer service

Pros

The ease of learning the program was enjoyable

Cons

Can't say that there is anything that I don't like

AD

Andrew D.

Construction, 1-10 employees

Very easy Payroll

Very simple product to use. The setup was very easy and guided .

Pros

The ease of just inputting the hours and it calculating everything else makes this a great product.

Cons

I feel that it doesn't calculate the sick mandated sick time correctly

Judi W.

Very expensive!

Customer service is lacking. I'm usually on the phone for at least an hour with a representative trying to fix an issue.

Pros

QB Payroll is fairly easy to use to run payroll and set up employees

Cons

Almost impossible to correct a payroll or run an off-cycle payroll.

Hi there, Judi. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Your feedback doesn't go unheard. We want to make sure you can access support when you need it. You'll find all the options to reach us online at (https://tinyurl.com/4a62hkmy) We wish you continued success. -Kristina, The QuickBooks Team

Anne R.

Automotive, 11-50 employees

#CJM

It's very easy to use and support are easy to contact and are very helpful.

Pros

We use Tsheets as well to integrate with QB payroll and i find the process to be very easy. Processing payroll as well as the cut off times are easy and excellent for our business.

Cons

The reporting on payroll is not sufficient, for instance, being able to run customized reports has not been easy. It would also be great to be able to have a secondary payroll user that doesn't have access to all the accounting as well.

KM

Kim M.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

QuickBooks Payroll

Does not satisfy our business needs however, at this time we have to use it to perform payroll, once we find a suitable product we will be cancelling our Quickbooks Payroll.

Pros

Direct deposit was easily setup. Adding a new employee was also easy to set up.

Cons

Hard to find things needed pertaining to payroll, when completing payroll it does not give an overview of what was inputted until after you submit it with out going back to completed screens.

PC

Peggy C.

Construction, 11-50 employees

If you are using contractors, QB online Premium is not a good solution

Overall good product, but frustrating for the segment that manages contractor payments.

Pros

pretty easy to use set up easily integrated in QuickBooks Online

Cons

Biggest issues are: -Customer service transfers you around many times because no one owns the issues with payroll with contractors. - Time drain - Normal issues have either taken multiple calls to resolve, or have taken hours on the phone because if an agent hangs up, they cannot continue to work on your issue - they have to take the next call - so they waste your time waiting while someone tries...

AW

Agnieszka W.

Insurance, 1-10 employees

QuickBooks Payroll Review

Good but the items above have to be corrected for us to be completely satisfied.

Pros

We use the Intuit Full Service payroll. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was very helpful the other day spending many ous on the phone with me in efforts to correct our issue.

Cons

There are two CONS I want to mention. Both of them do not have to do with the service [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] provided. 1 - it is very difficult to get a hold of a representative on the phone. We have desktop version of Quickbooks. The Intuit Full Service payroll advertises we should use a feature embedded in Quickbooks online to call speak to a representative. We do not have that option as we...

DD

David D.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Works for our relatively straight forward needs

It's been good, and I would recommend it to other companies that have a similar use case to us (not a crazy amount of employees, and no complicated setup for payments)

Pros

I've had many people tell me that QuickBooks Payroll isn't a "true" or "real" payroll system, but I have yet to experience any major problems. Our use case is fairly simple / straight forward, and we have 10's of employees, not 100's. In this context it works very well, handles all the tax reporting almost automatically (there is a bit of manual work, but it's trivial) and basically allows us to manage this fairly simply as a small company with not tons of resources. It handles the direct deposit for our employees nicely as well.

Cons

This is more of an issue with any Quickbooks product, not just Payroll. The UI is not always super clear, and sometimes you have to go to weird places (from a navigation perspective) to find a particular function. Getting our annual forms for employees and the government is always a pain, because it's been a year since it was done last and it takes some time to find where you can do it in the software. The...

LH

Laura H.

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

Quickbooks Payroll Update removes customization abilities

Over the last 4 years of I have enjoyed the way Quickbooks works with my bank transactions and credit card transactions. I like the variety of reports that can be created and the ease with which bank accounts can be reconciled but the latest updates to payroll have made it impossible to make customizations and has made Quickbooks boss of my payroll. I should not have to have permission from my software provided to make changes to my company's business.

Pros

I have enjoyed the simplicity of using Quickbooks payroll for the last 4 years but the most recent update has made it much more difficult to use. I can no longer make any customizations on my own. I can not exempt employees from taxes we as a church are exempt from paying. I have to call customer service to have all customizations made by them.

Cons

No ability to customize payroll exemptions and no ability to override reminder notices. Our accountant files all of our payroll reports but Quickbooks does not allow to make the tasks as completed if you have not completed the task with their system. I have to call and ask them to archive (even they can not mark them complete) the reminders to remove them from my Home Screen. I am not hiring Quickbooks to be my accountant but to be my software provider and I resent them placing requirements on my use of the system.

WD

William D.

Insurance, 1-10 employees

Been with Intuit for 15+ years their service has gone way done

e loved Inuit Payroll for 20 years but the past 2 years they are terrible. They mistakenly filed our 940 forms twice in 2019 for the same quarter, and then when they file the second one they send you a notice that your payroll was rejected because "SOMEONE" (ah it was you.... dumb a...) filed it. We went through hell last year, getting this resolved and their customer service sucks....bad. We were left to solve the problem on our own. My QB consultant warned me that Intuit payroll is screwing everything up and I should switch to ADP. But, no I did not listen and now they did the same mistake this year. Intuit Payroll why don't you just go out of business or better sell to ADP or Paychex.

Pros

It is easy when it works. But if you need help forget it.

Cons

Customer service is bad, you are ditched when there is an issue and you are on your own

BF

Brianna F.

Construction, 1-10 employees

A God-send for Small Businesses

I would recommend Quickbooks Payroll to new businesses that are looking for an easy way to stay organized and pay bills on time.

Pros

As a cost-plus general contractor, we highly utilize the ERP Integrations System from Procore to create vendors in Quickbooks. Within those vendors, it is easy to enter and pay bills to subcontractors. Creating customer jobs allows us to use job-cost codes to bill our clients. The reconciliation tool helps us double check that our charges match up what is on our monthly statement. Also, the ability...

Cons

The reconciliation tool for credit card charges can be challenging to use and takes additional introduction and training from an accountant to ensure it is being done correctly.

DG

Darcie G.

Architecture & Planning, 11-50 employees

Pretty good value but tax and reporting features can be lacking

QuickBook’s Online seemed like a great choice but after 1 year of use, we went back to the fully integrated desktop software. No real issues and certainly no issues with tax payment accruals and the reporting is very detailed. Highly recommend desktop software over online.

Pros

QB’s is user friendly and meets all basic payroll needs without issue. Easy vacation tracking and basic reporting services. Takes about 5 minutes to run payroll for a smaller company.

Cons

A couple of hiccups in the tax payment department using the online version and the reporting was lacking. Customer service was mediocre and took quite a long while to work with for seemingly simple errors that were only correctly handled approximately 50% of the time.

MH

MICHAEL H.

Accounting, 1-10 employees

Possible issue with using existing payroll subscription to add a client EIN# with the 2020 QB progra

Until I started using 2020 program it has been good.

Pros

Tracking income and expenses and simplicity.

Cons

Their sunset policies in general. It appears that with the new 2020 program the option to add a client company to my accountant payroll subscription is not available. I've spent 1.5hr trying to find anything in the web site to indicate this change but there nothing. This company is using deceptive information to add a company, but it only states for 2017, 2018 & 2019. So by not stating 2020 they feel you should infer that it is no longer available. If this is true, then because of this companies sunset policies I will will not be able to provide this service to my clients. Why don't the simply state "This service is no longer available". I will call on the next business day to confirm this poor policy change!

WE

Wissam E.

Retail, 11-50 employees

Horrible Direct Deposit

try it and you will find out.

Pros

It is cheap and integrated with Quickbooks

Cons

Good luck with their new Risk Assessment Department. I have been trying to do Direct Deposit for 3 months in my new company and they cannot get their act together. It is harder than getting a mortgage. My other companies are fine but now they keep asking more and more info to just run $2000 a week in payroll. All because "I am a new company and they front the direct desposit funds". I really do not care. Any other payroll company can do this. They should state that they do not offer direct deposit for new companies.

CB

Christal B.

Accounting, 1-10 employees

Easy Payroll app for Small Businesses

Overall positive experience with QuickBooks payroll. Helpful to get employees and taxes paid fast.

Pros

QuickBooks Payroll is user friendly and easy to use. Setup and onboarding employees can be done quickly and efficiently, Auto feature for running payroll is a time saver. Filing and paying taxes are taken care of in a timely manner.

Cons

I wish QB customer support was easier and faster to access.

YE

Yvette E.

Restaurants, 1-10 employees

I should have switched sooner!

I have used Intuit full payroll for years and have been very pleased with them. It was a no brainer to convert from desktop and integrate full payroll with the online quickbooks. Now I can so everything within one program and have assess to my banking transactions! First thing I must say is if you are moving from desktop/intuit full payroll like me, then be ready to back off and let the teams do their jobs. Then dig in and learn the minor changes that are on the software. The customer service has been the best and very helpful!

Pros

I like that it is so accessible and easy. Having been a long time customer of Intuit payroll with my desktop quickbooks the integration of both together has made my life easier!

Cons

The process was more complicated and took longer than I anticipated. I expected my intuit full payroll service to quickly convert to the QBO full payroll. Clearly there are things I cannot see and did not know that took longer. Over all the transition has been very positive. This isn't really a "con" but I would advise future customers to make sure their desktop is completely up todate before they export, then set the desktop version aside and run with the online version. It will simplify your bookkeeping by hours!!!

LC

Laura C.

Facilities Services, 1-10 employees

Fast, Easy and Simple.

When working with Quickbooks Payroll, it is easy and very straightforward, when it comes to pay roll all you need to do is add your employee's hours and that is it, I had a very tough time with my last payroll company and the set up with Quickbooks was simple and hassle free. Not only that it does not take up much of my time, like as in it is not an all day activity

Pros

The easiest and best thing about Quickbooks Payroll is that when you need to add a new employee, they make it very easy for you and all you need is their information, another Pro with QuickBooks Payroll is that everything is easy and you cannot go wrong because it is so simple.

Cons

A con would be that since everything is so simple people can often mistake it for something else, and mess up, like when you are tyring to take away a employee off of payroll it can get confusing at times.

VR

Vickey R.

1-10 employees

Would Not Recommend

The above issue was not the only issue I have had with this software/service. They have a good product, but they will not listen to users that have been complaining for years about their support and the difficulty of doing any edits without calling that support.

Pros

I like that it integrates with QBO. It is fast and easy to use. Being able to process payroll the day before is great too.

Cons

I do bookkeeping for churches and use classes to track funds/projects. You cannot assign a class to an employee yourself. You have to call support...which is usually a long wait. Which brings me to my biggest complaint. Some of their support is great, but many are NOT. I called to adjust a payroll period and the support Rep was very rude. I hung up thinking that was a waste of time, but WITHOUT my permission and knowledge she deleted the payroll I had already processed and when she processed it she overpaid an employee $10,000...which drained the church's bank account and cause multiple overdrafts. It took 3 months to clean it up and it was a nightmare! Will never use this payroll service again.