eM Client Logo
eM Client

Email, calendar, contacts, tasks, notes and chat in one app

visit website

eM Client Reviews

User ratings

4.1

• Likelihood to recommend7.98/10

See full reviews by rating

Top 3 alternatives

Email client is a very interesting email client, reliable and a excellent alternative to Outlook. Easy integration with Gmail.
No other software that I use causes loss of data except emclient. Even after recovering to a prior backup ,software no longer queued new emails to respective accounts.
Tech support consistently blames the hosting company and vica versa rather work with the hosting company to fix problems.

CM

Chris M.

President

Design, 1-10 employees

Great Outlook Alternative

Transcript

Chris M.: Hi, I'm Chris. I'm the owner of a creative services and web company, and I would give eM Client...

Evan G.

Mental Health Care, 1-10 employees

eM Client - good email client for small office

Our overall experience with eM Client is very positive. I would be happy to recommend it to any one looking for a good, reliable, traditional email client that is cheaper than Outlook. In fact, I like it better than Outlook anyway and though we now have Office 365 inc Outlook I have no intention of moving from eM Client.

Pros

One of our users has a strong aversion to webmail. eM Client is a good option for a traditional email client. Very much cheaper than Outlook but looks and feels familiar so is easy to use. We move to eM Client from Thunderbird and like the integration of eM Client with Google Contacts very helpful.

Cons

No particular issues. It's cheaper than Outlook but competes more with free clients so it would be nice of eM Client were cheaper than it is, but can't really complain as it doesn't cost much, is regularly updated and has given good, reliable service over many years.

SM

Simon M.

Computer Software, self-employed

A modern email, calendar and contact manager

I have a very large mail database which can make it slow, however most things work very well.

Pros

Integration of the different features. GMail and Exchange integration.

Cons

Mail filtering is too simple. Need to be able to create complex rules, using different headers. Calendar should alert conflicts when accepting an invitation or scheduling a new meeting.

SC

Sandra C.

Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees

Mid-Tier Email Client

I would describe my overall experience as mid-level. The support experience was above and beyond I worry that the malfunctions I experienced were isolated incidents or due to some outside factor such as our computers or connection. I just didn't have the time to continue to try and address it -- I needed a solution yesterday. I would advise reading a number of reviews before making a decision. .

Pros

- Affordable fair Price. Lifetime license. - High Security. Updates. - Practical. Implementation in a reasonable amount of time. - Reduce time spent on email. Funnel all accounts and emails. - Support experience went well. - User forum. - Updated look.

Cons

- Purchase needed -- features are comparable to free email clients. - Malfunctions. Performance and reliability were inconsistent. Emails did not synchronize. - Calendar and filter missing features..

MW

Matthew W.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

I was excited, but terrible reliability and horrible support changed that.

The reliability is awful, but the customer service... wow. If they were any quieter over there, we'd have to be in the vacuum of space. If I could buy this company, fire every employee and finish their system I would. I suspect they have very little development capability, or they are outsourcing all of this and that explains why getting fixes done is impossible at best.

Pros

The interface looks great (but has issues), it's fast and has some good features, but mostly they don't work as expected.

Cons

The search function doesn't work. That's right IMAP users... No searching for e-mails. No matter what. If I am looking for an e-mail from my #1 client, I first have to look on my cell phone, find the date and time in eM client and then sort by the Received By name. Sometimes it is there, sometimes it isn't. 99% of the time I am stuck using my cell phone to reply to people because eM client search...

bk

beta k.

Animation, 1-10 employees

The best outlook alternative

Pros

I literary try dozen email clients, and em client is my favorit. It's have everything I need.Have modern and clean interface? yes | support ms exchange? yes | sync with google calender? yes | have a reminder tool? yes | one time payment? yes.Overall em client have a lot of features but yet still easy to use. I strongly you give em client a try, the have free version (with very limited features).

Cons

For their pro version, I have nothing to complain, but their free version basically unusable because only 2 email accounts allowed. Instead of offer free version with such limitation, I think they better offer a full free trial.

Hello beta, thank you for your review! When you first install eM Client, it will run in a 30-day trial mode automatically, and during that time anyone can test all features for free :) The 2-account limit is used only once a Free license is registered and activated - before any license is used, the trial will have all the features for any testing.

PC

Patrick C.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Nice Alternative email app

Pros

Importing my data from MS Outlook was so easy I didn't actually realize that it happened except for the prompts to let me know that it was trying. I like the layout of the program as it just make sense to me to have the emails list on the side and the reading or preview pane beside it.

Cons

The only thing I would add would be a way to delete emails by single click instead of the Right Click option. Otherwise, there is not much to dislike about this app.

Harsh M.

Computer Software, 10,001+ employees

Light weight wonderful mail client to start with for free

A stop shop for your personal mail management. Easy navigation, better features as compared to other mail clients, professional version available for business needs.

Pros

Easy installation, easy sync with your mail providers such as Gmail, Yahoo etc. Light weight, has most required features for a basic user. Good on user interface and user experience

Cons

Preference management or user profile build up could be improved as per user's taste

MH

Mark H.

Construction, self-employed

Great Alternative to Outlook

It has been a reliable and solid product that integrates flawlessly with Google services.

Pros

- Fantastic integration with Google calendar and contacts - Flexible email configuration supporting most email services - Great support - Very stable and reliable

Cons

- Email editor is a little limited when compared to some other options

Online Media, self-employed

Love the features of eM Client. It feels snappy and is much prettier than some others

Pros

I love how fluid the UI is. It makes checking email and understanding it a breeze. The built in calendar in the sidebar is a nice easy to use feature that makes looking at my day at a glance very easy.

Cons

There is a limit of three email accounts for free, which then gets quite expensive. There should be a mid-tier plan.

Barry C.

Management Consulting, 11-50 employees

Best alternative to Microsoft Outlook (for smaller organizations/Individuals) evaluated.

Adopted emClient as my primary PIM application while associates reviewed alternative to Outlook email clients. Compared our experiences and agreement was reached to recommend emClient when appropriate to the client entity.

Pros

In role of a performance/financial improvement interim executive/advisor, I regularly evaluate critical products and services for my clients enterprises. For small to mid-market firms (and NFPs) the cost of Microsoft products can be very significant ongoing budgetary hit. Good alternatives office suites lack robust PIM capabilities and that is always a real consideration. The emClient PIM offers all of the capabilities needed for professional usage.

Cons

The emClient product's export capability is effectively non-existent. If a later decision is made to return-to/go-to Outlook... a major effort will be required.

PW

Paul W.

Computer Software, self-employed

eM Client is one of my most important daily/hourly tools

I've been using it for years because no other email client works as well, at least for what I need. I don't want to have my email stored on the external servers, I want local copies (leaving them on the server as well for remote access) and that means a local client on my desktop computer. I combine it with MailWasherPro and together my email experience is painless.

Pros

Multiple accounts, easy auto-configuration of new accounts. Customizable aliases on accounts.

Cons

Confusion over how many inbox folders there are.

JW

John W.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Good basic email client program (used with MS Outlook Live)

It's super-easy to setup, works well and has a clean interface. The developers keep it updated. It does all the simple things we need an email and calender/scheduling client to do.

Pros

It's simple and the free version is good for our purposes. It is so much easier than having to log into MS Outlook everytime I want to check email. Between my wife and my self we have 4 online freemail Outlook accounts. One of them is for our business which is the most important and highly used. We have a quick and easy view of all for accounts in on window. You can prioritize accounts since uou may want to be notified for some accounts over others when email arrives. Integration is solid with Outlook Live.

Cons

Sometimes the program does not update right away when opening. There are also time you have to click on the folder to see how many emails are in it. It should show this automatically without having to do anyhting. I'm not sure if this is how it operates for everyone or if it's my particular setup. I also wish they had more themes for the free version but this is hardly a big issue.

RS

Ricardo Sandy A.

Translation and Localization, self-employed

The A Team of E-mail Client

I used to spend too much time logging into different e-mail providers just to check e-mail messages and communicate with colleagues and clients. Now I only need to open my eM Client software and see all e-mail accounts in one integrated dashboard. There is no more hassle and productivity has increased manyfold during my use of this software.

Pros

I like its superb functionality and flexibility. You can add accounts for the majority of e-mail providers, create contacts and tasks, subscribe to internet calendars, use Google Hangouts directly from within the software without having to logging into your Gmail account, assign labels to e-mail threads with different colors. The greatest advantage is that you can purchase a lifetime license at a bargain and receive all future updates for free.

Cons

It lacks official themes and seldom releases feature updates.

BW

Ben W.

With a fresh, clean look, this email client is the best I've used in a long time!

eM Client has proved to be much more efficient by eliminating the chaos and stress of an unorganized email collection. It is so much easier to manage emails when they look good!

Pros

The clean and simple user interface makes it easier than ever to maintain an organized email system. When viewing an email, eM Client has a handy Contact Details sidebar with other emails between you and that contact allowing you to refer back to past conversations without flipping back and forth through the inbox and sent folders. It also has the ability to keep conversations stacked in the same...

Cons

Having transferred from Mozilla Thunderbird, there are still a few quirks like how it sorts Junk mail and the fact that I have two inherited junk folders and it's unclear which is being used for what. There also doesn't seem to be an automatic junk filter like other clients have but, on the other hand, this means I never miss anything due to the client marking it as spam and never to be seen again....

TB

Tim B.

Construction, 1-10 employees

Awsome products

I needed a product similar to outlook when we switched providers and emclient fit the bill. I been happy with it for over 5 years.

Pros

It is easy to use and works with several email providers.

Cons

Hard to figure out how to remove names associated with emails that have changed to different people.

Thank you for the feedback! If you have some names connected to specific email, you can remove them either from your contacts or from the Recipients history in Menu>Settings>Compose. If you have trouble removing any specific one, please send me more details to olivia@emclient.com, I will be happy to help.

DW

Desiree W.

Internet, self-employed

Used other for less than 6 months

Great Product, Just One Major Kink

I had to uninstall eM Client and go back to Thunderbird which has a lot more functionality than eM, but I don't need all of that. I liked that eM was a kind of "middle of the road" (just the right amount) of functionality/features AND they have a nicer GUI than Thunderbird (more modern). But, the syncing errors and issues just drove me crazy. So, I'm back with Thunderbird for now. I may try them again...

Pros

I loved the UI of the email client and that they allowed a few emails accounts in their free version. I loved the price on the full/pro version as well and was going to purchase if it weren't for one large kink....But, I will say this: even though the issues wasn't resolved in my case, the customer support and moderators on their forum were all very helpful and responded pretty quickly. I just wish the issue had been able to be fixed because I really did like the software, functionality/features it offered, and the price point to be able to add all my email accounts.

Cons

I kept having sync error problems with my MS emails and my Gmail. I didn't have 2FA initialized so an app password was not needed. Using my email and login (standard setup) should have worked just fine, but i think that there were syncing or connection issues at the time I used it.

DI

David I.

Management Consulting, self-employed

Great e-mail option

My overall experience is very positive and I anticipate that I wil continue to use eM Client for the foreseeable future

Pros

The software is easy to install and generally easy to use. It has a few quirks, but once you get used to those, it is very good.

Cons

The software has a habit of backing up, usually when I need to use it, which can be frustrating. It also has a habit of creating an error when it closes, not only when it is closed because for example the laptop crashes, but also when it is closed down properly. This results in a need to check and validate the database. Whilst I have not yet lost any data, the checking is problematic if I am in a rush and for example only turned on the laptop to do a quick e-mail.

Hi David, Thank you for your review. Did you contact our support regarding the closing problems? Our tech staff answers to every email/ticket they get so if you write to us at support@emclient.com we can help you to resolve the problem. Or you can contact me directly. Thank you, George

MR

Mark R.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

Fantastic email client

I've really enjoyed using eM Client for a number of years now. Like any email client you have to spend some time tweaking it to how exactly you want everything as the default display/settings might not be to your liking. The application is very fast and updates quickly. Updates to the client come through regularly which is reassuring. I'm currently using version 8.2.

Pros

I've used eM Client for about 4 years using a free license which caters for a maximum of 2 email accounts. I recently upgraded to the Pro version with lifetime upgrades as I now use 4 email accounts. It's very easy to setup and add email accounts as you'd expect. There are a lot of features available and far more than I require. I've found that the calendar integration with a gmail account has been seemless. In fact as soon as I add an event to the calendar via eM Client it almost instantaneously updates in gmail. You can access the user forum via their website and there's a lot of useful information available in case you get stuck with anything. I recently set up a signature for my business email and it literally took a couple of minutes.

Cons

Like any email client it does take a little while to tweak the settings to just how you like it. I'd certainly make use of the 30 day free trial so you can iron out any little niggles you may come across. Make use of the forums if you get stuck.

DS

Derek S.

Automotive, 11-50 employees

Great option for a next-level email client

I've used eM Client for the past few years and have been overall happy. That said, there have been frustrating moments with support and I really hope they fix the current print glitch mentioned above.

Pros

The main reason I use eM Client is the speed of the search. My job has me constantly searching a large database of emails and it's imperative that I find them quickly. When put side by side with Thunderbird, it absolutely dominates in search presentation and speed.

Cons

The most recent update has made it so that when I print emails, another daily task, eM Client always opens the system print dialog box despite that box not being checked. This takes a considerable amount of extra time with the number of emails I print. I opened a ticket but wasn't very happy with the reply which suggested that I move to a previous version which carried the risk of losing my fine tuned settings and more. In addition, for most users without search needs, I don't feel it's significantly better than Thunderbird so it may be hard to justify the cost.

Hi Derek, Thank you for your review. We are aware of the print issue and have resolved it internally so we'll release an update fixing the problem soon. Sorry for the inconvenience.

DB

David B.

Writing and Editing, self-employed

eM Client Review by Bosworth

It is my sole email reading program on 2 computers.

Pros

It is comparatively easy to use and has more useful features than more basic programs.

Cons

Searching sometimes doesn't work, or at least seems problematical searching email content area. Email not containing search request yields emails not containing requested terms.

Thank you for the feedback! If you ever encounter search inconsistencies, please consider sending us details (what the searched term was, EML of the message that was found incorrectly or not found via right-click>Save as, and your search settings in the drop-down of the search tab) so we can look into it! Contact either support or info@emclient.com, we'll be happy to resolve any problems.

JS

Jonathan S.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 201-500 employees

Good solution for managing complex, integrated email communications

I have found eM Client to be the perfect solution for my needs. I am able to access my saved messages and folders without having to pull them from the cloud. This is huge. Also I find the email interface to be much more user friendly than any of the cloud-based services. Finally, on the original setup, I migrated from Thunderbird and the entire experience was incredibly smooth and easy. This was a big plus as I was getting started.

Pros

This software allows me to manage 3 or more email identities from a single platform. It allows me to organize my saved messages for easy retrieval and long-term record-keeping. It allows me to search and quickly find past messages.

Cons

When Windows reboots the system automatically following an update, if emClient is running, the software has been vulnerable to corruption, and the process of checking and rebuilding the database can be cumbersome. This problem has improved over time, but the program remains vulnerable to sudden shut-downs.

SO

Sergio O.

International Trade and Development, 1-10 employees

My preferred email client for desktop

I'm very happy with emclient. It's the only desktop platform I found that made me change from browser mail platform to desktop platform again.

Pros

It's the best email client I could find. It's clean, simple, easy to use, full of features included. Feels clean and smooth to use. I can use many email accounts in the same platform as if they were just one.

Cons

Nothing at all. I like all aspects of the browser, I can't tell of something I don't like by now. Maybe an option to send recurrent emails would be great, and even greater: an option to automate follow up emails until a reply is received.

SK

Steven K.

Accounting, 1-10 employees

Great alternative to Outlook

Pros

eM Client is very easy to use, and it allows me to be able to view all of my old emails, without the need to search through archives. It syncs flawlessly with my Google mail and Google calendar.

Cons

I have previously submitted features that I wanted to see, and they were ultimately added to the program

AB

Alison B.

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

Excellent software

Able to keep up to date through email and calendar with clients which makes my life easier.

Pros

The email syncs perfectly and I never miss messages. I love the fact that it offers, email, Calendar and acceto contacts at the click of a button. Also great free version of the software, it has everything Outlook had but free.

Cons

There is no complaints from me. Everything is easy to use.

AM

Amy M.

Real Estate, 11-50 employees

EM Client is amazing

Started using it a few years ago with the free version but loved it so much that I decided to buy the license. I recommend it to everyone over Outlook because it's much faster and easier to use.

Pros

I love that this program is so user friendly. It's essentially the best desktop mail client I've ever used. Easy to navigate, easy to organise and super easy to personalise which is a great feature.

Cons

I'm pretty disappointed that with one of the more recent updates EM Client got rid of Frozen Smart Folders. That was actually one of my favourite features. I use so many folders so that really helped me make the decision to switch from Outlook and when they took that away I considered going back. With the most recent update I am no longer able to save jpg/jpegs from the email which I depend on a lot.