Google Voice Reviews

Google Voice

Call and voicemail management

Google Voice

Review Summary

Pros

I love the free calls for American and Canadian phone numbers. It's great for budget-conscious people in Canada and US since if you have WI-FI you can make free calls with the app.

Teann H.

Amy L.

Nicole S.

Cons

There is a constant threat of it being discontinued and being forced over to Hangouts instead, but you can still sign up on the website.

Daniel M.

One thing i find that is very bothersome is that sometimes when i am typing on the google keyboard, i accidentally click on google voice and it makes that sound even when my phone is on mute.

Ping H.

Jenna B.

4.2

Great, free app for VOIP calls

Pros

I've used this app for years, and even though it's not one they're really doing much with anymore, I'm glad it's still up and running. I did hear they were planning to upgrade it or integrate it in some other platform eventually, but while I know it's part of Google Hangouts, I don't know about future plans. I can't tell you how many times I've lost my cell phone in the house somewhere, and having...

Cons

Not a lot has been done to the basic app in a while by Google, so if they are planning some big roll out of a new and improved version, that would be great. If you use it outside the Hangouts platform, it is pretty simplistic, but serves its purpose. There's really not a lot negative you can say about it. It makes calls and takes calls and the quality of the connection is pretty good. For free.

Comprehensive voice communication and text messaging productivity tool

Pros

I've used this service back when it first launched as GrandCentral (renamed to Google Voice). I still use it today as the primary phone number for my marketing consulting business. Google Voice is a telephony service that provides call forwarding and voicemail services, voice and text messaging, as well as U.S. and international call termination for Google Account customers in the U.S. and Canada. A huge bonus, Google Voice offers one of the lowest international calling charges. Don't pay your mobile service provider high prices for international calling. Use Google's service with the mobile app on your smartphone to call anywhere in the world via clear and consistent high-quality Voice-Over-IP.

Cons

I use the Web and mobile app and have never had any issues. That said, it's user support (online) is somewhat limited, and configuration will require an investment in time to learn and apply all the capabilities.

It is a great online phone App

I have been using Google voice for many years. Beside the issues with my internet at times, I love google voice. It has truly saved me lots of money!

Pros

I like the way I don't have to give out my cell number to my customers, and if I move or visit another state my number will always stay the same or come with me.

Cons

Google voice works through your internet, so if your internet is not reliable or spotty, you can potentially miss calls.

If you are an android user there really is no other choice for VM integration.

Pros

Google Voice does a lot of things. I do not fully utilize it. It is the best voicemail transcription apps that I have found. I rarely have to listen to my voicemail messages and just read them. Being able to have an extra phone number to give out is a godsend. The cost of international calls form Google voice is extremely competitive. If you are in another country and do not have phone access it can send your voicemails to your email, The basics of it are free.

Cons

I recently had a hard time using it while on a trip to Germany. It has always worked well for me in the past as an affordable way to keep in contact with people back home during my international travels. I am now worried that I can no longer depend on the calling aspects of it. Call screening seems to only work if they are calling your google voice number and not your primary.

A Semi-Convenient Home Phone Solution?

Google Voice has been a fairly reliable phone number with Voicemail that is very easy to use and pretty easy to set up if you have a gmail, but it doesn't compare with a cell phone or a landline. I alternate using it with another service called TextNow on my PC, which rings audibly more often but also fails to dial out more often! Also sometimes that number will work in cases where Google Voice is blocked. This is a pretty good way to have a "landline" through your desktop computer, and a nice way to not give everyone your cell number.

Pros

I was mugged and I temporarily have no cell phone and after having tried many wifi calling solutions for my pc, Google Voice has remained my primary go-to phone number. I am grateful there is a free option. Also there is the ability to port your number but you have to pay $20 so I didn't do that. You can also forward calls.

Cons

I'm glad I signed up before my cell was stolen because it is really hard to get a Voice number without already having a number... and I think it has to be a cell number too! The phone doesn't always ring and many people have phone settings that block a Voice number. Also I often have trouble in situations where I need to use the keypad to type in an account number.

Is there a better VOIP Option? The Answer is No Google Voice is the Best

Pros

I have been using Google Voice since they had limited invites and from the beginning until now this is probably one of the best tools created in the last 10 years to be honest. The ability to have a free number that forwards to any number is great you can even use your laptop, tablet, or phone for free as an option as long as you have wifi enabled. My calls have never dropped, sms and mms is efficient and you can literally have as many numbers as you have Google accounts.

Cons

Major con would be somehow you get random calls from people who may have purchased your number somewhere. Also the call screening message lets people know you are using a Google voice number when someone calls you if you dont change it

Google Voice, communication without barriers.

It is very useful and practical to be able to acquire our own telephone number that identifies our company where we can communicate nationally and internationally, and that we can use all our phones or devices. It is a very useful platform, since its new SIP technology makes it easier for us to perform our daily tasks. I like that Google Voice offers us the possibility of keeping our phone number, if we decide to change IP service.

Pros

This platform allows us to relate and store all the content or activity that occurs in our telephone communications, such as messages, recorded conversations, date, etc. GoogleVoice offers us a wide variety of applications and functions that have really changed our company's telephone activity, in a very effective and safe way, we also like the way your system has to redirect calls and unify them or allow them to ring at all phones or devices, very important in cases of an emergency.

Cons

This system that Google offers us is really wonderful, I do not really observe in any deficiency.

Once Google Hangouts launched, this app because pretty pointless

Pros

If you have two phone numbers (ex: one for business, one for personal), get Google Voice so you don't have to carry two phones anymore. I transferred my personal phone number to Google Voice so that I didn't lose it and it allows my calls to that number come through my work from. I paid for the initial phone number transfer but no reoccurring charges to answers calls at all.

Cons

The problem is Google Hangouts basically does the same thing. It becomes redundant when you log in to either account because text messages to your personal number show in both Voice and Hangouts. If Google can find a way to make better distinctions between those two services, they could justify having both. Otherwise, it seems pointless to use both.

Overall Wonderful App

Pros

Google Voice is great for text messaging, calls, and voicemails. I especially like how my voicemails can be changed to transcripts so I can read them at a time when I am unable to listen to the voicemail.

Cons

I have had issues with connectivity, but am unsure if that is an issue with Google Voice or Google Fi (I am still trying to differentiate between the two).

Creepy Connections/Creepy Service

After checking the charges in our account I could not believe how many minutes were charged without connexion, the phone calls start to be charged since the moment you dial, how many phone calls were connected to the wrong phone number (knowing that there were dialed properly)-VERY CREEPY! and the worst of all, how many additional phone calls are been charged without even dialing . Been so disappointed, I called customer service and after placing me on hold several times and transfering many others ones, they finally told me they didn't believe it was happening even when I sent copies of their ridiculous charges. Playing "ping pong" with their customers is their way to brush you off.

Pros

There is no Pros - I thought it was a good value but ....

Cons

when you realize when exactly Google Voice starts counting the minutes and how many wrong connections you get through knowing that it was dialed properly, it is not worthy. They make up their prices by misleading you and expect nobody will check them up. Creepy Service.

Everybody should get a Google Voice number

Pros

It seems like at one point Google Voice was going to be an "important" part of Google's offerings, but it never really took off. Still, it is really handy. It's a great way to have a "second number" for when you don't want to give out your direct cell number. It also has some nice features that my main provider lacks (like call screening).

Cons

It seems like Google has not prioritized work on this product in a long time. It seems like they could eventually just drop support for it entirely, but until then it's great!

The best free VOIP app out there

Pros

Google Voice offers users a free number on sign-up, meaning there is no initial cost whatsoever. You can also setup forwarding on this free number, which has been so useful for us here. Though there are some features behind a pay-wall, the basic and fundamental functionality is totally free. The costs for calling international numbers is also reasonable, particularly useful for us when contacting applicants currently abroad. Like every other Google produce, the user interface is simply excellent. Looking crisp and clean on both mobile and desktop devices.

Cons

I'm really struggling to think of a negative point about Google Voice, there are just so many things it does right! The only real negative is that the initial setup was more time-consuming than other similar products, and required a slight bit more education of our users on how to use it.

It's the best voice/texting app you could get for free

Pros

Not everyone will agree with me, but I think it's true. Google Voice has a the best voice and texting you can get with an anonymous number for free. Most of the other apps require you pay a small fee just to send text messages from a burner number, but Google Voice lets you do that without needing to pay. I can also text on my computer without needing to ever touch my phone. It also provides voicemail transcripts if you're ever in a place where you can't listen to the message (i.e. on public transportation, in a meeting, etc).

Cons

I think Google Voice requires for you to have an actual number to connect to it, which is the annoying part. I wish I could just get a burner number without going through all that hassle.

Manage your phone calls like a boss!

Pros

What I like most is that you can screen your calls very selectively. Unknown caller? Send directly to voicemail. This is a great way to weed out nuisance callers.

Cons

As with all Google services, Google can use your personal information in ways that you may not agree with.

Google Voice is the best free VOIP app

Pros

Google Voice does one thing - mobile VOIP, and does it well. It allows for good transcription, a usable mobile app, and free to start your account

Cons

I have no negatives about google voice. The app isn't particularly aesthetic, but its user friendly.

#1 FREE CALL ACCOUNTING APP

As a Professional Business Technology Consultant for over 15 years, I've created, integrated and supported SWITCH/PBX's in Call Accounting verticals including but not limited to: Hospitality and Law Firms. Throughout my professional tenure I've not only written code but have had the experience of collaborating with EVERY SINGLE professional SWITCH/PBX hardware and application on the market. My conclusion, Google Voice is THE answer to simplifying a basic Hosted SWITCH/PBX solution.

Pros

It's as simple as it gets to trunk calls and It's free!

Cons

After 7 years, it's a very basic setup to get your system started but when u upgrade you'll need to transfer your data but it is not difficult at all.

Cheapest for long distance

Pros

Google voice has been incredibly helpful to make the absolute cheapest calls to international mobiles or landlines. The interface is clean and easy to use and super easy to lookup contacts in your phone directory. It is also easy to manage credit and reload your balance as long as you have a google account.

Cons

Initially the way you dial with Google voice was somewhat foreign to us. It tkes some getting used to but eventually does the exact thing you need at a fraction of the cost.

Simple, Reliable VOIP

Pros

Integration with other Google products is a huge plus for me (Android power user). But Google Voice is also very easy for those who may use other products (cough - Apple users - cough). When traveling I find Google voice to be extremely reliable and able to scale quality of call to match my internet speed.

Cons

Some of the interface is beginning to show it's age, though I am hopeful they will update this alongside the improvements to other G-Suite products such as gmail. Skype and FB seem to be ahead of the curve, feature wise, and Google voice is not as ubiquitous as those services IMO.

Good app for free VOIP Calls

Pros

It's free, easy to setup and you can choose your phone number. It's the best way to mask your real phone number and maintain professionalism if youre on a budget.

Cons

In my experience, it was really hard to remove the service and oftentimes the Google Voice number would appear while I was trying to reach my contacts from my real phone number, which was quite annoying and confusing for a lot of people

It makes sensing texts while my hands are busy pretty easy

Pros

I've used Google Voice mostly for sending texts. I just say out loud what I want to write and the software takes care of the rest. I'm impressed at how accurate or sensitive it is at picking up words. For the most part, it translates most of what I want to say in written form.

Cons

Sometimes it might be tricky to use, especially if you're pronunciation is a bit off or if the word you are trying to use is very similar to another one phonetically.

Very good service

Pros

I love google voice for many reasons, the main one is that it allows me to filter the calls I want to answer, letting me hear the name of the caller before. The function of transferring calls to another number is also very useful.

Cons

I think it could improve its features and add new features. Sometimes false calls come in or it stops working for no apparent reason.

decent voice application

Pros

I find that this application can be used throughout different google accounts (gmail, google calendar...) which is pretty convenient so that I do not need multiple voice apps

Cons

one thing i find that is very bothersome is that sometimes when i am typing on the google keyboard, i accidentally click on google voice and it makes that sound even when my phone is on mute

Best for international calls

Pros

Google Voice enables you to call most of the American businesses for very cheaply or for free from many countries. This is the reason I use Google Voice regularly.

Cons

I use Google Voice on a browser because a mobile application is not working properly. In some countries, you can not even download the application from the Appstore.

Google Enabled Communications

Pros

The easy integration to google mail is a plus, for easy communication between google enabled accounts. This saves time from opening other communication apps.

Cons

Limited in terms of other functionality and integration to all other media platforms.

Google Voice aka Hangouts Dialer

Pros

Cons

Sometimes the call quality is not the greatest. I wish the app would also allow for a 3-way phone conversation or a conference call function.