SendGrid Logo

Suggested alternatives

constant-contact
hubspot-marketing
bitrix24

It has a really good transactional API and the dynamic template is nice and easy to use. Ruby gem for SendGrid is good as well.
What I love the most about, Sendgrid emails is that they are not spammed when they reach their target's mail box and are always marked as important.
The built in tracking is quite nice and they make it very easy to configure. Knowing not only opens/clicks but unique values was great.
I tried for 2 weeks to get in touch with them (trouble tickets, emails, and phone calls) and never got a reply to anything. This is a TERRIBLE company to do business with.
Service is terrible lodged a customer service request replied quickly with useless information then didn't hear from them for 4 days.
When complaining to Sendgrid I spoke with several people who were empathic to my frustrations about the program no longer working as it should.

David A.

Executive Director

Political Organization, 1-10 employees

SendGrid Review: Look for other solutions

Transcript

David: Hi, my name is David. I am a executive director at a political organization with about 10 employees,...

TP

Thomas P.

SEO Executive

Hospitality, 1-10 employees

SendGrid Review: SendGrid Transactional Email for Business Needs

Transcript

Thomas P.: My name is Thomas. I'm the SEO manager for a hospitality company that runs cooking holidays,...

Oscar C.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

The best mail service provider for marketing and transactional emails.

I have been working with Sendgrid for more than 2 years and it really has been very helpful. It's perfect when you need to send transactional mails, for example password recovery or notifications to users from your website. or custom marketing campaigns. You can implement on your App easily with his Full Documented API or via SMTP. The free forever plan is perfect when you're starting a website or application and still do not have enough users. You can also easily upgrade your plan in order to get more emails monthly . Recommended with closed eyes.

Pros

1. Have AB Testing enable. 2. Manage unsubscribe emails. 3. Easy to Integrate via API or SMTP. 4. Email Reputation indicator. 5.Full detailed report. You can see if the email it's blocked, bounced or delivered. 6. Have a Forever Free plan . (40.000 Emails in the trial period, then 100 Emails Daily forever)

Cons

Send grid interface it's a little bit confuse. No more cons to highlight, for me it's a perfect tool.

TP

Thomas P.

Hospitality, 1-10 employees

SendGrid is one of my favorite email platforms.

Sendgrid lives up to its reputation as a market leader for email. Be it marketing, authentication and transactional emails. It provides a plethora of options and functionality that meet most business needs.

Pros

The fact I use sendgrid for transactional emails says a lot. The api intergration is a breeze, as are all of its parameters available. The email monitor tools as well as the disposable email detection have proven particularly useful. Third party intergration is easy with the likes of Firebase, FaunaDB and node cloud functions.

Cons

There isn't any particular thing I have a disliking for in all honesty.

Paul C.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

After 10 years - they banned by account without notice

I used the service for 10 years, sending telephone call receipts and email notifications from clients sites, not had any issues, then this last year clients started complaining about receiving emails at night. I thought that was odd, turns out that Sendgrid IP address was blacklisted, very expensive to upgrade to a dedicated IP address, so put up with the multitude of issues throughout the year - then last time complained about deliverability I then suddenly got an email to say "We have reviewed your account and have determined that Twilio’s services cannot support the content and/or nature of your business. " What an absolute JOKE, never host mission-critical email with these clowns - why suddenly an issue after 10 years! and why so careless suspend my account!

Pros

Basic SMTP - no really a lot to like in fact it's awful

Cons

We have reviewed your account and have determined that Twilio’s services cannot support the content and/or nature of your business. SLOW support

EB

Ewa B.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 51-200 employees

SendGrid: Robusta Tool for Email Marketing

Pros

I give double thumbs up to the fact that it automates email marketing which saves time.

Cons

SendGrid had all the capabilities that enables me to automate marketing strategies even though it lack offline access.

MC

Mohamed C.

Education Management, 501-1,000 employees

The Best Option for Email Marketing

SendGrid is the best option that assembles a host of benefits in one place; its editor, analytics and reports, and particularly, its powerful feature to prioritize campaigns and increase performance let every business excels.

Pros

SendGrid is the best option to boost your business ahead or rather your marketing emails; its detailed reports on clicks, opens, subscribers and even spam lets you revise or edit your campaigns and thus increase conversion. SendGrid is best known for its editor, which lets tailor your emails according your needs, both demographic or geographic.

Cons

Actually, I become slow to recommend SendGrid due to its limited features of contact management; it does not provide many options compared to Mailchimp. I also did not like its pricing, which determines the quality of your SendGrid dashboard.

Management Consulting, 1-10 employees

SendGrid Review

It is fine--we continue to use it and at the end of the day the emails get delivered. It is just not super practical or intuitive. To get the full benefits I had to get a professional guy who knows HTML to help me to design and send the emails (and I am very savvy with technology).

Pros

This software has better features than competitors and email campaigns seem to reach out to more people. the templates provided are useful.

Cons

The Challenge with this app is that every little improvement that you want to make to your process is going to cost you more money. So although it starts being cheaper than competitors, by the time you add the reporting, stats, more emails you end up paying the same or more. Unless you pay extra you will not see the results of your email campaign, that is a big con, and you don't realize this until you have imported thousands of people and have invested a lot of hours creating your lists. Since you get a lot of free features when you first sign-in "as a trial period" by the time they remove them you are all in!

Angelica C.

Internet, self-employed

This is a must-have.

They have been amazing, support is fast and helpfull. I don't remember having any downtime with them ever since I joined the service.

Pros

Sendgrid has an awesome service for email marketing and transactional emails. It works 100% of the time, the support is amazing and it even gives you a free plan that will serve most people.

Cons

The price for email marketing (contacts) is a bit too high for me. It could be packed with way more interesting features. Also the editor sucks and it never sends the mail like it shows on the screen. But I do not use this feature.

Ezekiel R.

Internet, 1-10 employees

SendGrid Review 2021

Sendgrid helped us effectively manage our cold email outreach, supplying data in a very clear way for easy understanding. Sendgrid ensured we had an IP address and got our emails always delivered.

Pros

The most impactful feature of SendGrid for our business is data analysis of using both numbers and graphs to paint a very clear picture of the project performance. It is a very powerful tool we use for sending and managing emails campaigns, especially for cold email for marketing.

Cons

The most challenging part of using Sendgrid for us was the integration and setup process but the customer support and YouTube videos were very helpful.

Jordan R.

Sendgrid is great

Was great for sending transactional, automated emails. API integration with my app was a breeze.

Pros

Love the UI, the simplicity of the setup, the training / onboarding videos, and the ease-of-use. It's a great tool. Also, the visual template builder is great.

Cons

I ended up switching to Mailgun just to test things out - and honestly, they're both pretty amazing, but I stuck with Mailgun because (at least at the time I switched) they had a more generous "free" plan. Sendgrid is great though!

Marketing and Advertising, 201-500 employees

Great solution for sending compliant email campaigns

We wanted to send email blast campaigns and drip campaigns from Clickfunnels this was a great solution to use for our SMTP settings.

Pros

There are a few ways to take advantage of Sendgrid. Having an API to plugin to third-party apps is great or you can create a complete email campaign right in Sendgrid.

Cons

Setup can be a bit daunting if you are not familiar with mail protocols.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Reliable, high-bandwidth, and reasonably priced

Overall, SendGrid has been a very valuable asset for our company. Even when we are not fully using every available feature, it's never failed us at a crucial moment, and continues to be a reliable and reasonably priced solution for us.

Pros

Our help desk/support team skews more to the "client's industry specialist" side and less to the tech savant end. That being said, SendGrid continues to be simple to use tool for those that interact with it daily. Setup and further customizations have been simple, and over the course of 10 years, it has continued to prove its value with minimum service inturruptions.

Cons

Our team's only major complaint during our ensure using SendGrid was mostly when it was a less mature product. There were some shortcomings early on with the email marketing and contact management, but there has been considerable progress and improvements in almost all corners of their service and UI.

JB

JIll B.

Environmental Services, 11-50 employees

Sendgrid Review

I have had many frustrating experiences working with this platform and spent more time using this then I would like to. I would likely not recommend this in comparison to other similar platforms like mailchimp.

Pros

The site is pretty straight forward and easy to navigate.

Cons

There are a lot of technical kinks that need to be worked out. Simple things like copy and paste, moving items around, etc. often do not work and will kick me out of the program. This often does not save my work even though it 'automatically' saves. Also, minor changes to specs often messes up the entire layout, causing me to have to start over. It would also be nice if you had the option to view emails from a browser, as we use this site for a newsletter and having the option to download this/upload a link to a website would be helpful.

MJ

Mckenzie J.

Information Services, 10,001+ employees

Effective Emailing tool

Excellent

Pros

We use sendgrid for our enterprise application for all purpose ranging from notification, verification and transactional information. We switched from a competitor that was burning our pockets and had a lot of issues. the pricing was a balance between our budger and our requirements and send grid just fit into the grid for us

Cons

No complaints. However the suggestion to the manufacturers would be to improvise the documentation for this product to provide more use case specific guidance to help users

Ava T.

Financial Services, 1,001-5,000 employees

Solid option for our email marketing operations.

The most significant benefit my team has gained from Sendgrid is the assurance that our transactional emails and newsletters are delivered directly to our subscribers' inboxes, rather than being filtered out as spam.

Pros

I absolutely love using Sendgrid for our email marketing needs. Its intuitive and user-friendly interface makes creating and sending professional-looking emails a breeze. The email list segmentation feature, which allows us to trigger email engagement based on user behavior within our app, has had a significant impact on our overall sales conversion workflow. Additionally, Sendgrid's reporting and analytics tools have been invaluable in measuring and identifying the strengths and weaknesses of our email campaigns through real-time data metrics. Overall, Sendgrid has been a game-changer for our email marketing efforts.

Cons

Twilio's email builder is restrictive when it comes to available design options and flexibility. One area for improvement is its drag-and-drop editor, which could benefit from more advanced customization options, such as the ability to add custom HTML or CSS for greater design flexibility.

Anatoly G.

Information Services,

SendGrid offers a great transactional email API, but deliverability & support issues hold it back

Easy integration into our platform and deliverability metrics. Dedicated IP, if you pay for it.

Pros

We use SendGrid for transactional emails, such as welcome messages & notifications. Generally, SendGrid offers great tools to integrate emails into a variety of different application platforms and programming languages. We really like its level of detail when checking on the status of emails. Sendgrid is also free for basic transactional emails, which makes it easy to try and ensure it will work with your application. We use a third-party library called Nodemailer with Sendgrid, so switching from a different service to Sendgrid was trivial.

Cons

While the service is easy to use and offers comprehensive email activity metrics, there are a few things about it we didn't like. First, because the free tier uses shared IPs, we consistently had emails that wouldn't get delivered because of IP blocks. There were a handful of IPs that we had that experience with, and it persisted for weeks -- without any support intervention. Sendgrid must have deliverability...

bt

blake t.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Used to be great but new API is both non functional and not supported at all

Currently we are extremely frustrated and disappointed with both the support and the product itself. I would leave tomorrow if we could.

Pros

Originally it gave us full visibility into our emails and helped us get much better tracking on who was receiving what and when. Important to know emails had been delivered as we deal with large numbers of payslips and emails for our clients.

Cons

Recently there's been a change with their new API which has been nothing short of woeful. We've had multiple clients either having emails not sent (where did they go?) or sending emails twice because they are getting incorrect feedback that the email hasn't been sent. (delivery report being wrong). This has been for invoices and payslips which are highly sensitive information to be missing or duplicated. It's...

Automotive, 10,001+ employees

The best mailing solution?

Pros

I think, that SendGrid might be the best solution for e-mail marketing purposes or sending automated e-mails in some sort of user flow. It really speeds up the development. The desktop/mobile formats make it easy to reliably send pre-specified e-mails.

Cons

Some customizations might not be that straight forward for someone.

Mohammad Iqbal K.

Send Grid - Review

I am benefiting by using Send Grid for sending email alerts to the users of our applications via email for their preferred choices of information. The overall experience with Send Grid is great in technicalities and features however seeks improvement in response time by customer services.

Pros

A free plan is the most attractive thing they offer. Their free plan is for life long tenure. It is easy to integrate the Send Grid with almost any software. It offers a choice to integrate using their API or connect through SMTP. Their dashboard and reports are very detailed.

Cons

It seeks improvement in multiple areas like customer services, business intelligence and error messages. There user interface also confuses sometime.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

Suspended Account for no reason

very poor support experience

Pros

it was quite easy to setup to use transactional emails and there was a free tier to start which is great for startups

Cons

the reputation of the shared IP is not really good and we still landed in spam. the biggest problem we had was that from one day to the other my account was supsended because "we were sending spam". No warning upfront, no chance to react upfront - just the information the we are suspended now. The problem: this e-mail came on a Thursday evening (out of office for me) and I reacted on Friday. The support...

DK

Daniel K.

Internet, 1-10 employees

HORRIBLE customer support

I was a happy customer until July 2020, when suddenly my account was locked "for compliance reasons". I am not a spammer, I only used Sendgrid to relay email to my customers (who want all the email I relay to them). When I was locked, and then summarily terminated, I had no recourse. I provided lots of evidence that I was not a spammer, but the compliance team did not speak with me at all. Customer...

Pros

It was easy to set up, and worked perfectly until it didn't; then, customer support was non-existent.

Cons

Customer support does not answer emails. Compliance team does not speak with me, I could not determine what I had done wrong. They simply left me in the lurch, and held my email hostage.

SB

Shuhan B.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Unacceptable random errors for a utility product

Pros

Generally set and forget for the years that we've used them, but reliability has been a major problem recently -- see cons.

Cons

Ever since last September, we've had about a 1% error rate with Sendgrid due to random 406 errors. Based on what we've seen on the internet, we're not the only ones. As a utility integration that the rest of our software depends on, this is wholly unacceptable. Imagine your product, and imagine that 1% of emails your product sends just randomly fail. Sadly, their support has no drive to actually...

RK

Ryan K.

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Long time customer with 15+ active accounts

SendGrid was the first to market and has grown more and more powerful over the years, while keeping pricing low and even free pending your needs. Excited to continue plugging it into my side projects and companies.

Pros

I've used SendGrid for years. They have a 1-click "provision" feature inside the Heroku app store that starts at $0 /month until you hit profit-worthy volume (10k+ emails /month). The API for sending transactional emails is great, however I have not tried their email marketing feature. I'm such a big SendGrid fan, in fact, that I built a free SendGrid analytics tool that generates reports for other customers (+ myself) to send better transactional emails: https://lesstransactional.com.

Cons

While building our free SendGrid analytics tool, it became apparent that the "Email Activity" API has a much lower rate limit (ie 10 requests per 5 minutes) than the regular sending APIs. This required us to make restrictive changes to the app at the last minute, and their support team was unwilling to increase the rate limit for our use case.

Emiliano S.

Events Services, 1-10 employees

One of the best ESP around

Overall SendGrid offers a great service with competitive pricing and great performance. Unfortunately the deliverability for emails hosted on Microsoft servers is not that good and other providers might be needed in those cases.

Pros

SendGrid is a well priced ESP with great delivery performance, near instant webhooks and highly configurable. Their API is quite straightforward to use, minimizing integration costs.

Cons

When using a shared IP, deliverability to Microsoft hosted email addresses is really bad, most emails sent to Outlook or Microsoft 365 organizations end classified as SPAM and the only workaround withing SendGrid is to have a higher cost plan with dedicated IP addresses, having to build the IP reputation from scratch. Also support takes days to reply to most concerns.

AH

Alois H.

E-Learning, 11-50 employees

Terrible Product and much to expensive for what you get!

Pros

If you setup everything and subscribed to one of the most expensive plans you can send mails -_- thats all!

Cons

The price is not the problem but what you get is a half finished product. In the first few months sending mails did not work at all. No error message. Nothing! We realized ofter customer complains. There is no double optin feature at all. The best way is to use custom fields and developer who writes additional scripts to handle the customer fields. The automation is terrible. You can only send emails after an fixed interval of 3 days. No option to change that. No option to send maisl after a click. Not even an option to delete emails in series of mails. You have to start a complete new automation. Adding just a delete button would saves hours!

Alicia A.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

We use and recommend Sendgrid for everything

We develop software and often have to send transactional emails, sendgrid helps us protect our domain for SPAM complaints and also provides great tracking information for the emails we send.

Pros

My favorite feature are the logs, we can always find information about a malformed email, a bounce an unsubscription, etc. I also like the ease of use and the ability to admin several domains under the same account.

Cons

I don't think I have any specific dislikes.