Visio Logo

Visio

Diagramming, process modeling & data visualization

Visio Reviews

4.5

2.7K

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.48/10

Reviews by rating

Suggested alternatives

Overall I'm glad to have spent the time to learn it and enjoy using Visio very much. It's been very helpful and useful for my day-to-day responsibilities at work.
This program is awesome for developing organizational chart. I love it because it makes it super easy for you to do it as well.
It has all the features and functionalities that I need for my job and gives me the ability to get creative with my work. I recommend this software to anyone in the design world and beyond.
More than once I had to make the same changes to a diagram cause I misplaced or lost an updated version. That is my biggest pain with visio, and is ultimately why I switched to Lucid Chart.
Formatting is the biggest challenge, especially when you have large projects it is difficult to view all and you loose track.
Using auto-arrange features can result in errors such as wrong diagram arrangement.

2,790 reviews

Glenn S.

Associate Director of Talent Development & Brand

Telecommunications, 501-1,000 employees

Great To Show Procedures

Transcript

Glenn S.: Hi. My name is Glenn. I'm the talent development manager in the telecommunications industry...

Sawan J.

ciso

Information Services, 1-10 employees

VISO still a great diagram creation tool

Transcript

Sawan: Hi, I'm Sawan, Director of Privacy and Security. I give Visio a four out of five. For more reviews...

Michael K.

Tobacco, 501-1,000 employees

The tool for visual mathematicians

I love it for the purpose it was intended for. I don't think I could find anything better. Most of the time I have nothing but good things to say about this product. Just don't let yourself get in a spot where you need to write your own code to generate your charts automatically because the API and help for it would require another degree just for this product.

Pros

It can connect to a wide range of data sources to present data in your charts. It has a wide range of abilities through the various add-ons and tools. The range of standard drawing objects is huge and you can create your own if you know what you are doing.

Cons

It sucks for trying to program against it. Every drawing object has its own properties, methods and behaviors. It is a real nightmare if you need to integrate it into an automation system. The only one I have found that might be worse is Outlook and that would depend on what you were doing.

Andrew P.

Higher Education, 501-1,000 employees

Process Development Tool with layers

Visio has helped me take conversations and brainstorming sessions and demonstrate how they would actually work. So often there is a good intention on trying something new, but it is important to get everyone on the same page. This tool has helped do that. I have also extensively used Visio as a training tool. I will link the diagrams to other portals and tools that we use, so that the workflow document is something of a link aggregator for all the steps involved. This has made the hand-off from training to implementation much easier.

Pros

I like that I can use Visio to easily demonstrate workflows and process improvement ideas. There is a range of understanding for software like Visio. I do not use it to automate at my place of work, but I use it extensively for visual learners when implementing or discussing new processes, procedures, and ideas. Often I have co-workers take these designs and display them for their team as a physical reminder, others are more intuitive and I work with them to develop interactive workflows (with links, actions, etc.)

Cons

There are some elements to how you design that are not intuitive. I usually spend about 15 minutes with users who download the software to demonstrate how they can make their flows and diagrams. The organization chart is particularly more cumbersome than advertised, but even so, I have users who use it for this purpose. Online resources are sparse as well, and I often am troubleshooting when trying new methods.

Mario L.

Computer Hardware, 11-50 employees

A Comprehensive Review of Microsoft Visio: Pros, Cons, and Use Cases

Improved communication: Visio can be used to create clear and visually appealing diagrams that help to convey complex ideas or processes more effectively. This can be especially useful in meetings or presentations, where visual aids can help to illustrate points more clearly.Increased efficiency: Visio's pre-designed templates and shapes can save time and effort when creating diagrams, and the software's formatting options allow users to customize their diagrams to fit their specific needs.Collaboration: Visio's sharing and collaboration features allow team members to work on diagrams together, even if they are not in the same location. This can help to streamline project workflows and ensure that everyone is on the same page.

Pros

One of the strengths of Visio is its wide range of pre-designed templates and shapes, which make it easy for users to create high-quality diagrams without having to start from scratch. The software also has a range of formatting options, including the ability to customize the appearance of shapes and add text, data, and images to diagrams.Visio also has a number of collaboration features, such as the...

Cons

it does have some limitations and potential drawbacks that users should be aware of:Cost: Visio is a paid software, and the cost can be a barrier for some individuals or small businesses. There are free alternatives available, such as Lucidchart and Diagrams.net, that may offer similar capabilities at a lower cost.Complexity: Visio has a large number of features and options, which can be overwhelming...

NA

Naveed A.

Computer Software, 201-500 employees

It had it's time

I've used Visio heavily in the past and still have a license. But there are modern tools which are far more user-friendly - they are far easier to use and more powerful.

Pros

Not much today. There was a time when it was the only real option. No longer.

Cons

It's primitive and laborious to use. It feels clunky. It has not caught up to more modern tools.

AA

Albert A.

Arts and Crafts, 1-10 employees

The Visualisation Software every Business Needs

The experience has been great for our business. We have saved plenty of time from doing charts and graphs on other applications. The software is also very easy to use and users do not need any extensive usage training.

Pros

We decided to implement Visio as we believe strongly that diagrams and other forms of visualizations can help an organisation convey its message to the users much more effectively, being employees, customers as well as other stakeholders. This software has helped us drastically in marketing as well communication with employees. The software is very user friendly and has a lot of great features.

Cons

The only small issue is that one must make sure to save the templates he is working on as once we lost a template which we had been working on for days. Maybe the software could be improved with some auto-saving function.

Zahidul I.

Food Production, 11-50 employees

Visio for design facroty layout

I used it for veriour purposes like design organisation chart, making work flow. I even designed a fully funtional food factory design using Visio.

Pros

I have designed my faactory layour using visio. It's saved tons of money for me and end up with great output. It also has feature of making organogram very easily.

Cons

I didnt found a lot of thinks negative about it. But if it has feature of saving as EPS the would be great.

Kiran K.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 5,001-10,000 employees

A very efficient tool for flowcharts

The easiest and most enjoyable aspect of Microsoft Visio is its drag in -and-drop builder, which makes creating diagrams quick and straightforward. I can use a variety of pre-built shapes and templates in my diagram, which helps me save a ton of time.

Pros

MS Visio is an excellent tool for illustrating concepts using a flow chart or other customizable diagram. I can simply design flowcharts and diagrams with the amazing pre-built templates that come with Microsoft Visio.

Cons

I had to make the same modifications to a diagram since I had lost the most recent version. Visio does not support automatically arranging diagrams. Also, it does not support collaboration like the Lucid chart does. The pricing of Visio is also on the higher side

KADir T.

Automotive, 10,001+ employees

Visio usage

I 'm a frequent user of visio programme and it's quite ok to manage my daily tasks with the programme functions.

Pros

I like to create all my flows and org charts in visio programme to make visible all our works

Cons

Videos and visual effects are needed to show diagrammes in a different way

Soumaila K.

Computer Networking, 1-10 employees

Discover the full power of visio

By using visio, I have become more pragmatic with my work team.

Pros

The data collected is easily exploitable, visio is simple to operate with a few clicks.

Cons

Having a business or school account to access visio is a handicap for some users.

Abebayehu Bekele S.

Government Administration, 501-1,000 employees

Perfect Software For Daily Use

Draw network diagramsChartsOrg. MApp

Pros

Easy and flexible to use and Integrating

Cons

Performance related issues during starts

CS

Chirag S.

Insurance, 51-200 employees

Process diagram standardization with Visio

We've diagrammed a significant portion of our company's operations using Visio. This has highlighted, visually, where inefficiencies are. There are several touch-points in each process. Visualizing touch points has helped us think critically where staff's time can be saved through automation and reduce pain points for staff.

Pros

Visio appears to be an industry leader and standard for process diagramming. I love the speed with which we can create process diagrams in Visio. We use Visio web interface, which is less-featured than Professional version, but is very functional for small and medium business. Web version is also easiest for users to see the diagrams and edit them.

Cons

I don't like compatibility issues between Visio web version and Professional desktop version. To work around that, we use web version consistently. Web version's limited feature-set is more tolerable than fixing compatibility issues.

Tharindu D.

Civil Engineering, 201-500 employees

There's not competition to Visio

I regret not having used this software before. Just like many, I thought this to be expensive. But an hour with the software proved how much time would've been saved had I chose this earlier. Visio offers one of the cleanest interfaces available, and it's a pleasure to work with this software. The rich template library will help anyone get a quick start in any project.

Pros

Visio provides us with an unbelievably smooth user experience when it comes preparing any kind of flow chart, mind map, hierarchy, process diagram, and anything else you could thing of! Also, you get to export your work in pretty much every usable format available. There's almost zero learning curve with this one if you're familiar with basic MS software packages. I can't ever see myself seeking an alternative to this.

Cons

There's nothing to dislike! Anyone who might think that this is expensive will find that this is worth it after the very first use.

MF

Muhammad F.

Financial Services, 501-1,000 employees

Must Tool to Develop Comprehensive Flowchart

To prepare a practical, flexible, easy to make, easy to understand flowchart or organizational chart the ultimate choice, in most of cases, will be Microsoft Visio, an innovative way to visualize a business process. Visio enables to learn about organizational setup, flow of documentation, and procedures alongwith cause and effect diagrams, the more important is that the diagram is self explanatory for presentation purpose.

Pros

Being member of rich and widely used family of Microsoft applications, it is effectively configured and integrated with excel, word, powerpoint, teams, sharepoint, onedrive, etc. Microsoft Visio enables users to generate a basic to complex diagram or hierarchal modeling. Visio has all necessary features that are required for graphical presentation of a flowchart or organization chart. Apart from built-in features, there are many templates that can be easily modified according to your requirements.

Cons

Visio is not easy for new user particularly using at mobile, if a new user has to provide links by using arrow keys then he/ she will experience it as a tricky task, it not intuitive as well. Visio does not generate link leading recipient of the link to view diagram at any browser. Visio does not allow arrangement of diagram elements automatically, cropping of image is not allowed, usually arrows do not connect properly. To group or ungroup is not easy task, sometimes auto arrange feature returns errors.

Muhammad Daud S.

Financial Services, 11-50 employees

Great Data Visualization and Mapping tool

Overall I found Microsoft Visio a very helpful tool for any management level (IT to Decision Makers) in an organization and it can be worked with according to their own requirement. I was able to achieve our organizational documentation through various tools and stencils and to elaborate them professionaly. Great tool.

Pros

I have found Microsoft Visio to be a great tool for any business to manage their flow diagrams, organizational structure, network diagrams, and document management. It is a vast utility to support various stencils as per the requirement of the organization or structure required. I found Azure Stencils to be great and detailed in order to elaborate on the cloud environment.

Cons

I found it a bit inconvenient that the built-in stencils for Microsoft Visio are limited and it requires extra time and effort to search them manually and apply them in the business model. Visio should be offering their own store to get Stencils and document management utilities.

BK

Bryce K.

Construction, 51-200 employees

Simple, for better or for worse

Overall I love Visio. I use it for every single one of my projects alternating between using it and using AutoCAD. Both programs have their own benefits. But Visio is still useful and helpful to me in its own right.

Pros

Visio's greatest feature is that it is unbelievably easy to pick up and start working ona design with little to no experience. As an engineer I find it incredibly intuitive. The preset stencils that many companies in our industry use is very helpful as well.

Cons

On the flip side of its ease of use, the simplicity of the program takes away from the amount of tools and resources that are embedded in the program. There are features that other designer programs have that Visio is just not able to match because of its ease of use.

Computer Networking, 501-1,000 employees

Visio turned my daily diagraming an enjoyable journey

My overall experience with Visio is great. I can always count on it for different purposes, from a quick diagram for a presentation to high-detailed flow graphs of a project I'm working on.

Pros

Visio interface is clean and very easy to use. I appreciate these features in every piece of software I use. When it comes to diagraming, Visio is by far the best choice.

Cons

Sometimes it is required to turn on developer options to access some features that should be easily accessible in general option menu, such as editing margins.

TL

Timothy L.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

Very capable diagramming tool

Overall a very feature rich diagramming tool. Overall sharing / file management was NOT Good. which was the dealbreaker for me.

Pros

Overall Visio can do everything you need to in regards to diagramming. There are hundreds of shapes icons, tips, tricks etc... I spent 6+ months getting familiar with the program and once you have the hang of it you really can make amazing diagrams and visuals. I really think you should be on the latest visio as there are older versions which default settings make all your diagrams look very old and outdated. But the newer version of Visio does have better visuals/colors etc which make your diagrams look more modern. There are lots of keyboard shortcuts which are amazingly helpful, only downside is you have to learn them, which does take time.

Cons

I found Visio is clunky and hard to learn, and some of the features they tout like 'auto-align' I could never find useful. it always messed up the order / arrangement of the diagram. Also the color themes and fonts tend to make the diagrams look a little outdated. Especially if you are on an older version of Visio. Anything earlier than 2019 I think has default settings which made my diagrams look...

SJ

Sreekumar J.

Information Services, 1-10 employees

Awesome professional diagrams and flow charts

Pros

As a Business Analyst cum Product Manager in Software Engineering, tremendous amount of documentation including business process diagrams, and flowcharts were part of my role in my previous product organization. Before learning Visio, I have tried many free apps, and capabilities with in word and struggled a lot. While we make enterprise solutions by offering customization in our product suite,...

Cons

It is a fantastic tool and no doubt on its capabilities. However pricing is heavy and the solution is subscribing to online version. If the shapes show some meaning or suggest the purpose, Visio can be a bit more intuitive.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 201-500 employees

Visio for better work output

I utilized this software for the first time in my final year of college and indeed it was a life saver. Back then, we had to comply with the requirements of our professor regarding Plant Design. We need to illustrate the process flow diagram of the Butanol Plant we made and one of my colleagues suggested why not try using Visio. I was first hesitant to use it because of the sheer number of features...

Pros

Microsoft Visio is a great tool that I used ever since I was in college. As a quick recap, it is a software that employs several forms of diagrams and is highly beneficial for organizing process flow charts, organizational charts, project timelines, and many other types of diagrams. Visio has much more sophisticated diagramming capabilities than other tools with which we are all familiar, including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. Learning this software as a beginner will require some effort; you must become familiar with all of the features, from the most basic to the most complex controls. Once you become accustomed to using it, the program will improve the quality and organization of your work.

Cons

There is lag time when visuals are imported from Visio to other Microsoft Tools.

MM

Marat M.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Visio review

I started using Visio before Microsoft purchased it so I have quite big experience with this great application. I'm still using it a lot to visualize text information into graphics almost every day.

Pros

In my opinion the Visio is the industry standard and definitely the best tool to build different kinds of drawings (graphs, diagrams, charts, etc). It has many built-in shapes and templates (stencils), lots of options to connect to wide range of data sources. The Visio diagrams are easy to understand for both technical and non-technical audiences.

Cons

Microsoft Visio is not part of Microsoft Office Suite anymore (it must be purchased separately). The Visio license is quite expensive. Microsoft Visio is not available for Apple Mac and Linux platforms. Web (online) version of Visio would be great alternative to standalone application (since it must be cheaper).

Construction, 201-500 employees

Microsoft Visio

I have been using Visio since 2002. This is the only program which I used consistently almost every day. I develop icons, drawings, flow charts and flyers all in Visio. It is not very restrictive but it is quite loose. I have to make my own templates which may also go wrong. But with experience, once gets better with Visio.

Pros

There are a few strong points in MS Visio. First is its ability to work with vectors. It can easily import SVG graphics, edit their individual lines and then being able to export the SVG again. The export can also be done in PDF. This makes the whole experience of working with graphics like icons so easy. There is no need for programs like Illustrator or Inskscape. Another good feature is that Visio contains thousands of symbols from various categories like electrical engineering, mechanics, etc. That is also useful while building the flow charts and diagrams.

Cons

One annoying part in Visio is combining the lines into a single plan so that it can be filled with a color. When you select all of the connected lines and click Join or Combine ( in Operations), the task is done without an error. But then when you try to fill a pattern or color into that area, it does not work, just because it did not really join the lines. I could never find a way to get this resolved. The only way is to keep trying by reconnecting the line again and again.

Thamara P.

Telecommunications, 11-50 employees

Diagrams easily and effectively

Visio has allowed me to create the engineering practice layout. As well as, I have used it for the creation of maps, flow charts, free elements, among others In my area of work it is very helpful because it is process oriented so it is always necessary to elaborate process diagrams

Pros

the simplicity and effectiveness of use, are characteristics that distinguish this powerful office tool. Visio has themes that you can select for the realization of particular diagrams of both form and objects. This office tool can be included from the editable mode in other tools of the office itself. Visio integrates all conventional office options into an ideal tool for diagramming. It has a simple menu like what we are used to with office, also of options that add value to the design. You should not be afraid to insert images or elements because the tool easily allows it. I include a simple edition

Cons

When I try to insert the editable visio in power point, the visualization is difficult to handle elements from there. From visio to include an image the size can get to be very small, it is necessary to be attentive to the size with which you are designing from visio. If you want to open a visio file in tools in the cloud, it is not an easy task, since the particularity of this tool is directly with Microsoft Office.

KC

Kim C.

Visio 2013 still top notch!

Pros

Visio 2013 has raised the bar for the challengers. While I already enjoyed using Visio 2010, I now really enjoy Visio 2013. The addition of the ribbon interface now makes it easier to set up and enter frequently used features along with providing a very workable interface to add drawings, pictures and any other diagrams needed to make business flow. I use this tool almost every day to produce and refine presentations to staff and managers. I particularly like the workflow diagrams which allow me to get my point across as to where the resources are used most heavily in day to day business. Although I've looked at other tools, I still believe this tool is the best value for the money and for interoperability with other systems.

Cons

While there is not much to dislike about this software, there are some features which leave something to be desired. An example is the ease of placing headers and footers on the diagram. Now, it seems that we have to use the title feature which only allows headers and footers as background layers for the Visio diagram. I'm not sure I like this feature. I think there needs to be functionality that allows the user more flexibility in designing and entering headers and footer with ease. The current functionality permitted by Visio 2013 is somewhat clunky. There should be an easier way.

WE

Wayne E.

Computer Software, 1,001-5,000 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

The only Microsoft tool to use for some types of graphic, but finicky and difficult to use

More sophisticated capabilities than other Microsoft graphics tools

Pros

Capabilities to go beyond simple diagramming, including the ability to use macros with layers to switch views within a single diagram. This alone once saved me the effort of producing multiple diagrams for the same workflow process, reflecting how groups of users with different permissions would "see" the same flow.

Cons

1) Shapes only offer one text block. Classic example: database "cans", where I'd like to have a "name" text block within the oval and a "description" text block within the body. After all these years, surely Microsoft could work out a way to have two or more text blocks in a single shape (or on a single connector)! 2) Connectors love to re-route and are hard or impossible to "lock down" in complex...

Jose de Jesus R.

My pleasant experience using Microsoft Visio

Pros

One of the tools that I use with great frequency is the Microsoft Visio, it has helped me to capture or draw different aspects of the projects that I have the responsibility to lead or assign to my team. The tools incorporated within Microsoft Visio allow giving that professional touch that allows to group flow of information and descriptions at the same time and end user is easy to understand. Equally the different stencil that can be incorporated, facilitates and integrates the information, I have had the experience of searching for stencil of proprietary brands to be able to work with the hardware of my professional environment without any kind of problems. And when presenting or exporting it is very easy, the incorporated help is very useful when clarifying a doubt.

Cons

This wonderful tool to graphically capture ideas, projects, information flow and even design of structures, has its sales it is possible that it also has its point against, which is not much in micaso that could be for a person with little knowledge in really what If you want to capture, it could be a problem to know that there are thousands of stencils available that help create a more professional document. Another one of the few points against could be that the tools of left side are hidden and it can be difficult to stop the novice user to obtain them again. Of the rest I recommend 100% the use of Microsoft Visio