Abacus Private Cloud

Purpose-built, private cloud for legal and accounting firms

Abacus Private Cloud Reviews

Pros

The removal of updating software and upgrading hardware has been the best feature of using a cloud-based program. Access from anywhere there is an internet connection has been fantastic.

Steven L.

Integration was easy for our practice. We love the ability to access from anywhere.

Jennifer A.

Cons

We seem to have the same problem when our clients can't login. If too many of our clients logout improperly, the Cloud gets stuck and won't open for anyone.

Lynne W.

Zachary B.

Horrible, cumbersome integration with Microsoft 365 (which was forced upon us - we didn't know that when we contracted).

Kimberly W.

Worst business decision of my career

Transcript

Michael C.: Hello, I am Michael. I am the principal in a small law firm. I give Abacus Cloud a two-star...

ABACUS PRIVATE CLOUD - EXCEPTIONAL QUALITY, RELIABILITY & SERVICE

This platform outsources office computing (in my case, for a law office) to a proven, trusted vendor that provides excellent customer service, reliability and stability. This enables smaller companies (like mine) to take advantage of economies of scale; and achieve levels of quality, security and dependability in their computing network that otherwise would be to costly if done with local servers and IT support. This is a truly game-changing platform; professionally implemented by a company of top notch network and data center experts. I am completely satisified with Abacus Private Cloud.

Pros

I have used Abacus Private Cloud since 06/14. Reliability, connectivity, uptime, and customer support are excellent. I eliminated local server hardware, local IT support, and local backups. My decision to go with with Abacus Private Cloud was the best decision I have made in 20 years of using computers in my law office.

Cons

Seriously, i have not found any downsides to this platform.

Fantastic cloud product

I am very pleased with this product.

Pros

I was worried about transitioning all of our data to the cloud but could not be more pleased with this product. I especially love the ability to work from any computer anywhere. The product is stable and reliable.

Cons

There were some things that did not transfer from our prior legal software but the important things all transferred.

Private cloud for a business

Pros

The critical thing for us was that our consumers could quickly enter into the Cloud and retrieve their program - and that we can log in and see what they're doing if they get stuck. We don't have to go to each client location. The tech support staff is fantastic and delightful!

Cons

When our clients are unable to log in, we appear to be experiencing the same issue. The Cloud becomes frozen and can't even open for anybody if enough of our customer's log out incorrectly. This problem appears to be solvable in some way. In addition, the Cloud seems to be a little pricey.

Happy about the effort and response.

A roller coaster ride. There are good and bad things about this set up and company. I know they went through some growing pains themselves and we road along with them. I fee like they are heading in the right directions and making progress.

Pros

It is cloud based Uses the remote desktop system Creates a remote environment to function in. Security Support response has been getting better each year.

Cons

The overall cost is twice as much as everyone else. The control over the Office 365 account makes it difficult to efficiently function with our growing company. There have been features with the office 365 account that we would like to explore but can't because of the lack of control we have over the account. The constant issues that come up where the issue is tied to server resources or...

Support, Support, Support!

We are not thrilled but I have not found another provider to house all the software that we use. The search will continue and we will be out when our contract is up

Pros

After you get a support person, the support is very good. They can always fix our problem

Cons

Password resets Lacerte updates To be told to complete a support ticket, when my work depends on getting help with a problem, is very frustrating. I just have to shut down and quit working. Other practitioners just laugh at the price that we are paying for Abacus.

Good Product

Pros

I like that it is user-friendly and everything is right there on the cloud.

Cons

I did not like that even after using Abacus and then Abacus Private Cloud for a total of 10 years and they still could not fix a bug when drafting templates. Also, I did not like that I was not the admin of my office account and needed permission to change some settings.

Software=Yes / Service = Could be Better

The software has functioned very well. Very few problems. The service side of the business really needs some improving. Many times calling in to the help line can easily take up to 20 minutes of holding or longer before a tech can assist me. The online portal is getting better with more available actions but still many times the need to talk to a tech is required. Adding users has taken up to 7 days for me. The service problem is my main disappointment with AbacusNext.

Pros

I like the ease of access and security of this program.

Cons

It is very locked down. Not able to easily update QuickBooks or other programs because of security settings.

Great Fast and Easy

Great, Amazing experience

Pros

It's really easy to use simple and fast it has access to so much information

Cons

We cannot have certain software updates on apps we use because they're not compatible

What Happened?

It used to be a responsive tech provider.

Pros

I have used Abacus software for about eight years, and Abacus Private Cloud/Next since it began. Until yesterday, I have received good technical support. I have now called eight times in the last 24 hours, and no one will return my call. I did receive an email from someone - once - who said he had called and left a message, but no call or message was received on my phone. I even used a separate phone on one call, in case they were blocking my number for some reason, but still no call back. I emailed the person who emailed me, and still no response. I cannot have my law practice shut down for a day - or more - just because some sharp MBA manager outsourced their tech support to ... god knows where!

Cons

It is vastly to complicated to use for any law firm smaller than 50 lawyers.

Cloud based services

Overall, I like the remote access capability far more than services like Logmein or PC Anywhere. The screen quality (size and pixels) is so much better, and so much easier on the eyes. Access to scanner, fax and printer all seem to work well, too.

Pros

The advantage to the system for me is the ability to log into my desktop when at a client's location. It allows me real time access to the tax and accounting software, documents in our client management system, email and my calendar.

Cons

When the system is down, you are dead in the water. You loose access to everything!! No client phone numbers, email, your calendar, etc, in addition to the various software programs. The frequency of service interruption - I loose connection at least once a day. During the peak periods in tax season, it happened many times a day. It also happened routinely at the same time every evening. Customer service said they would track to figure out why, but it never happened after repeated requests. Customer service has been very responsive lately, but previously, if you called after about 11 AM EST, you never heard back and would need to recall the next day. Once you get a hold of someone, they are very helpful.

Easy file sharing and information retrieval

Positive. It allows us to keep records on a large number of clients and files and to allow anyone in the office to retrieve the file. We are now able to retrieve 12 years of file information at the click of a mouse. Being able to view the calendar and files when we are cut off from the physical office is a wonderful perk.

Pros

We started with Abacus back in 2008 and switched to the Private Cloud about 4 years ago. Our office is on a barrier island in Florida so the Cloud made sense to us. We are able to work from home after evacuation orders are in place (until we loose power and internet) and don't have to worry about whether our backups are in a safe place -- all our information is safe and available to us through remote access. We love the fact we can open any client's file from any workstation and answer their questions. No more running around looking for a physical file before we can help them.

Cons

Lag times. On a normal in-office day everything usually runs fine. Except when the internet is down. Then all work grinds to a halt. When working offsite there can be a lag or delay that can get irritating. We also have several office staff members who are resistant to training and do not use it to its full ability. The same staff members are highly critical when glitches occur.

Moving to the Abacus cloud was quick and expertly executed. Very Pleased!

I run my entire law practice using Abacus Law and APC.

Pros

Abacus Law is indispensable in my practice. I've used it for many years and have adapted it to the specific areas of my practice. The calendaring system keeps me on track so that I meet all deadlines on time. Using Rules in calendaring allows me to enter many calendar items at once with just a few mouse clicks. Form generation and Outlook integration are wonderful features and easy to use. All...

Cons

I have no real criticism to report. On my wish list would be a more robust word processing capability in the Notes windows, which would automatically check spelling and allow for easy-to-insert macros for boilerplate text entry - similar to quickparts and autocorrect features in Word.

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your experience with Abacus. We are delighted to serve you with technology solutions that help you run your firm efficiently and securely!

Accounting Plus, Inc. Review

We work with the customer service team at Abacus on a regular basis and I can't say enough good things about this group. They are patient, persistent, and easy to work with. We've also worked with staff and managers in other departments at Abacus and have had nothing but great experiences.

Pros

Our company migrated to APC from a set of 3 in-house legacy servers running all of our firm's software programs. We were vulnerable not only to hardware and software issues, but to the potential hacking of the very sensitive data we had collected over 15+ years in business. Our move to APC completely eliminated these concerns. It also made it possible to relocate our entire staff off-site during the COVID crisis in a matter of hours--something that would have been nearly impossible to accomplish securely and without impact to the performance of the system had we been on those old servers.

Cons

Our migration to APC wasn't without some frustration and a bit a of learning curve for our staff. Those initial issues were addressed by Abacus and problems were fixed and we're currently very happy with the state of our APC system. My least favorite things about the cloud environment are the difficulties in using local devices (i.e. USB peripherals such as printers, scanners, signature pads, flash drives, etc.) and the inability to load and update our own software on our cloud computers. But we've learned to live with these limitations and have adopted workarounds when possible.

IT IS BETTER THAN CLONING A LAWYER

I am a solo attorney with a multi-state practice. APC has allowed me to automate my practice, from client intake to document production. I have used the Abacus products for over 13 years now and am very satisfied.

Pros

I have been an Abacus user since 2007 and on the Cloud ever since it was a little puff of smoke. The ability to have all my software managed and updated at one source, on a secure server with almost immediate access to an IT person everyday has turned out to be WAY more cost effective than a piecemeal approach to buying Office 365 here, a case management system and accounting program there, and PDF software at a third place... It not only saves me money, but also tons of time.

Cons

Way way back when Abacus went online with the Cloud, there were speed bumps (and I apologize for all the 4-letter words in those early emails), but the past few years, it has been very smooth sailing. I like the convenience of having my office EVERYWHERE that I am.

Hi Robert, Thank you so much for the kind words! We are always so grateful to hear that our solutions are making a difference for firms! If interested, we'd love to feature your customer story. Just let me know and we will set up a brief interview at your convenience!

Long Time User

Abacus Private Cloud allows me to do what I do best, provide quality service to my clients. I don't have to think about the software. I have my contacts, my notes, my calendar, all at my fingertips without having to tell a client, "please hold on while I get your file". I am organized and know where everything is without having to "fret". I absolutely enjoy using Abacus.

Pros

I have been a customer of Abacus for over twenty years. I first started with the company before the Abacus Private Cloud. One of the things that I loved about Abacus was their support. They could and would resolve any problem immediately. When Abacus began servicing customers with the cloud, things became even better. There is nothing better than to simply turn on your computer, go remote and know that all of your work is backed up, protected and accessible.

Cons

The software has a billing component to it. When it first came out, it was unworkable and I opted out of the billing. I don't know whether it has improved and//or whether the "bugs" have been worked out.

Hi Douglas, Thank you so much for your feedback! We love hearing that firms are finding so much success with our APC environment. Would you be interested in being a featured customer story? Please let me know if you are interested! Natalie Lara The AbacusNext Marketing Team

Abacus Private Cloud Review

I like the product very much. I compared it recently to other legal software programs that have similar functions and I think this one with all the additional features works the best for my office.

Pros

I like the integration of the court forms with the client base. The calendaring is excellent. If one uses the notes it is easy to keep track of the clients' information and keeps them updated. The ease of logging on from off-site is easy. We were able to have everyone work from home within 2 days of implementation. We don't need physical files and can put the clients' entire file on a dvd for storage. Service has always been very good. They walk you through what they are doing so you know how to do in in the future if necessary.

Cons

It is a bit expensive, and I would like them to give us a break on the price when we add users. Some part time users cost the same as full time. I would like it to integrate with an accounting program like QuickBooks.

Great Service - but it’s getting pricier

I think it’s a great product. With great functionality. Overall it’s a must have product. There are some areas that could be improved, but I have always felt like Abacus was always self evaluating and continually improving functionality and features. They listen and problem solve whenever you have problems.

Pros

The front and back office functionality is great. The abacus system and matters combined with the accounting piece is huge.

Cons

When it crashes, it gets frustrating. Sometimes the accounting software boots you out mid billing and that is extremely frustrating. And after hours, it isn’t as easy as it used to be to get assistance, so we find ourselves waiting until normal business hours, which impacts our ability to be in court as we are sometimes dealing with abacus issues instead.

Hi Zachary, Thank you so much for your feedback! We love hearing that firms are finding so much success with our solutions. Would you be interested in being a featured customer story? Please let me know if you are interested! Natalie Lara The AbacusNext Marketing Team

Highly recommend Abacus Private Cloud

Very positive, most importantly the support team is quick to respond and always able to help. I recommend APC highly.

Pros

The most important feature of the Abacus Private Cloud is the safety of the product. No fear of our computer being hacked. Everything thing is on the cloud. The software program keeps us organized, every matter is linked with names, notes, e-mails, documents and billing. It saves time and actually pays for itself in making sure all the work you do gets billed.

Cons

We initially purchased the Abacus software approximately 10 years ago. We switched to APC approximately 6-7 years ago, and have never regretted our decision.

Hi Marla! My name is Natalie and I work in the Marketing Dept for AbacusNext. I wanted to reach out and personally thank you for your feedback on APC. And I wondered if you would at all be interested in standing in as a reference for us with a prospective customer for AbacusLaw in our private cloud? In addition, we are currently looking for customers to feature in a few upcoming campaigns. Please let me know if you are interested in that as well! Thank you again! Sincerely, Natalie

Cloudbased for Times Such as These

Pros

Fully mobile cloud base and exactly the same no matter where you use it. I love the feature that prompts you to bill.

Cons

It can be glitch-y and hard to get a person to understand the issues when you call customer service. It is expensive.

Hi Autumn, Thank you for your feedback. We greatly appreciate it! Would you be interested in being one of our featured customer stories? We are hearing countless testimonials about our APC environment due to the current state and we want to share your experience! Let me know what you think! Natalie Lara The AbacusNext Marketing Team

Very good before Abacus took over

If it hadn't been for the good experience with Cloud9 Realtime, I never would have remained with Abacus.

Pros

Once we got through the MANY problems encountered and the COUNTLESS hours spent troubleshooting issues with various technicians due to the conversion to the new Windows platform, the software ultimately works and our users have no issues accessing their QB files.

Cons

The fact that the technical support is hit or miss. There were numerous issues between June and January that cost us hours and hours of time, starting with our emails being blacklisted by Abacus. We spent quite a bit of time being bounced around by your techs insisting it was our mail exchange creating the problem. Then we moved into the Microsoft server upgrade and data conversion. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and his team made this as time consuming as possible for us. After that, we ran into major glitches getting the upgrades to run-more time spent on our end until we found the tech that knew what he was doing.

Safe and easy

The main benefit is the safety and security of our data. Knowing it won't be lost no matter what happens to my computer, and knowing there are smart tech people a phone call away to fix whatever goes wrong, is invaluable to me.

Pros

We've been using the Abacus Private Cloud for about a year now and it has been an excellent service. Very easy to use and adaptable to the programs we use. What I like most though is that our client data is safe. We share office space with a firm that does not use Abacus Private Cloud and they recently were the victims of a ransomware attack where all of their data was seized. They elected not to pay the ransom and subsequently lost ALL of their data. While no system can ever be totally secure, I sleep much better at night knowing that our data is as secure as it can be. I purchased a new computer two weeks ago and called the Abacus support to get my new computer onto the cloud network. They had me installed and up and running in about 2 minutes. I really couldn't ask for better service.

Cons

I don't have any cons worth mentioning right now. No software is perfect for every application but abacus does everything I need right now.

Customer service is terrible. Rates changed without notice. Charge you to get your data back.

It is hard to identify benefits when our experience turned so sour. We are finding PCLaw is providing a lot more benefits than Abacus.

Pros

The private cloud service worked well even though we regularly ran out of space and had a price increase to add more. Customer service on the private cloud was good.

Cons

We left Abacus Law after years because the new releases had a lot of bugs and using customer service was time consuming and some problems were never fixed. When we went to leave at the end of our contract, they took 2 weeks to send us the cancellation form and by then it was too late to give the 30 days notice. The contact went to month-to-month at nearly double the contract rate. We were given no notice at all of the monthly rate - yet alone notice in time to cancel. Abacus refuses to discuss this issue with us and has taken the position of "we have your money so sue us if you are unhappy."

Still working out problems 4 years later

Technical Support is usually difficult to connect with (1-2 hour wait for a call back). Would like to say they are excellent, but reliable is the best I can say.

Pros

APC is not software, but a cloud server. It has been convenient being able to access our files remotely.

Cons

Implementation did not start for 9 months after signing agreement. Implementation was forced to happen by us.

Hi Mike, Thank you for your feedback. you mention that there are still problems being worked out. Do you have any specific issues you'd like me to escalate to our support leadership team?

AbacusLaw has Grown with my Firm!

Exceptional! Despite some internet connectivity challenges in our small rural state, the Abacus Private Cloud implementation team were exceptionally patient, creative and persistent. They went above and beyond for our firm. We are now into our second year of Abacus Private Cloud, and I am not sure how we survived without it for so long. We love it!

Pros

The shared network allowed my small firm to group from one attorney to three attorneys efficiently. We can all enter our time for billing on the shared accounting platform, which saves me huge time as the firm billing attorney. I know that our firm's work product is in a secure cloud and that it is being backed up continuously.

Cons

I practice in a small rural state. Our internet connectivity has challenged that posed problems in implementation and installation. We still run a little slower than most, I am sure, because of connectivity challenges. Nonetheless, I would not go back to our prior system ever. I am extremely pleased with the software and with Abacus Private cloud.

Abacus Private Cloud and Abacus Law have case management figured out.

Pros

Abacus Law gives me the tools I need to carry out my practice efficiently. Calendaring, Accounting, Contacts, Matters, Form Production, and Conflict Management are in use constantly in my office. The software works great with the original default settings. But, it is very flexible in allowing a practitioner to mold the software to fill specific needs. Furthermore, using Abacus Private Cloud means I have a highly skilled tech team constantly monitoring all aspects of the software, the server, encryption, and off-site back-up of my data.

Cons

I would like to see the program develop a more robust word processing capability. It's very good as it is. But, I use MS Word extensively and would love to see some of the functionality of Word be available when entering data into Abacus.