All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

Mavenlink Reviews

Pros

Our client success manager Jacquie Smith always makes sure the Weejee team have a great experience. The customer service is great and very responsive.

Read the full review
Our team is so happy to have made the switch to Mavenlink. The sales and support team have been outstanding.

Read the full review
My overall impression is that it was a very good tool. My company only used it for timekeeping pretty much at the time, and was just beginning to understand the usefulness of this software.

Kimberly G.

Read the full review

Cons

Mavenlink solves a common workplace problem: too many tools and platforms to worry about.

Read the full review
The main downside we had with Mavenlink was the UI. It can sometimes be crowded and overbearing.

Dennis U.

Read the full review
I attribute this lack of intuition to the robust nature of the service, but it could do with a revamp of the UI/UX. I also dislike the format of the resource management.

Danielle P.

Mavenlink review

A Project Manager's Dream Software

Overall, I've been very happy with Mavenlink. While it might not be the least expensive software out there, it's very robust so you definitely get a great bang with your buck. Their customer service is top notch - I always get a quick response when I reach out whether through support or through my CSR. Mavenlink made me more efficient at my job. Before Mavenlink, I was having to reconcile budgets to know project health by using 3 or 4 different systems (one for time tracking, one for task management, one for schedules/resource allocation, and another for the project information). Mavenlink has saved me so much time, and it's easy for me to look back at projects and learn from them for future projects.

Pros

Mavenlink gives me a real-time view of project burn rates, utilization (billable vs. non-billable), and makes the life of a project manager so much easier. Being able to quickly look over all projects to check the burn rates (if it's green then it's good; if it's red then it's bad) saves me so much time.

Cons

Like any software there is some give and take. The only thing I would like added is the ability to make overall project budgets and resource allocations repeat each month like my tasks do. However, the entire task repeater part that we use was an integration that we negotiated to have built for us when we originally contracted with Mavenlink.

Awesome platform that's only getting better

Overall, using Mavenlink has been great - it has made a very positive impact on day-to-day functions as a business. I would recommend it highly to agencies for its flexibility and extensive functionality to manage resources and projects.

Pros

The reporting functionality Mavenlink offers is extensive and has enabled us to get much better visibility to our project, program, portfolio and resourcing data. Which in turn has allowed us to set/adjust our KPI/KRIs and better inform business decisions with the data we have available. In using Mavenlink how it's meant to be used, not only have we improved our business practices but our PMO has gained valuable insight into important aspects of the business that were previously siloed. The fact that Mavenlink actually continues to improve its platform based on user feedback is a massive plus, as new functionality becomes available to better utilize the platform.

Cons

There are some small (very small in most cases) problems we have with some functionality i.e. the naming/categorization of metrics in the reporting suite could be clearer, when approving/rejecting timesheets, adding a comment to a specific entry would be preferable, rather than the comment being published to all entries.

Big Upgrade compared to our previous PM software

Overall I am very happy with the product, big upgrade compared to our previous PM software. (PM.com)

Pros

It meets all our department's needs, I love the activity feed and the overall view of all our projects. Also great reporting tool!

Cons

The gantt chart, I wish the reporting would be more user friendly.

Good system but some frustrating issues

Useful overall, but the more time I spend with it the more I realize it is missing some key functionality that would save a lot of time. It's much more difficult to update a project in Mavenlink than past systems I've used, and I think there are some beneficial tweaks that could be made

Pros

From an ease of use standpoint, time entry and project creation is fairly straightforward. It's also nice to have access to so many reporting features, although I imagine that's even more valued by the leadership team rather than staff.

Cons

Three major issues stand out to me and my colleagues: 1- the software is very slow at times, and the more time I spend making edits to a project the longer it takes. In some cases, the lag is so bad that a task that should take 10 minutes ends up taking 30 since I wait so long for the system respond. The more tasks and individuals assigned to a project, the worse it is. Customer service suggested...

Outstanding solution for our entire workforce

The overall experience from the get go was very positive, as we started the onboarding process and conducted internal training where I was able to get a lot of great feedback from my coworkers about how they find the ease of use and how they like the online product training catalog that is available.

Pros

I am able to view tasks for current projects, track upcoming projects, add notes and tag team members easily in a very organized way that allows me to save time and resources on a regular basis. My coworkers who I interface with closely have had a similar positive experience and I cannot recommend it enough.

Cons

The ability to customize what is viewable and editable in the main menu ( such as projects, tasks, insights) based on user permissions would make it easier tailor the overall product experience to our teams needs.

Getting better

Nice tool with powerful reporting that needs significant improvement on usability.

Pros

Robust reporting, integration to NetSuite, hierarchical team management, Activity feed

Cons

Ease of use needs significant improvement. Needs user configurable workflows and fields. User roles and security have no flexibility. Interface and reporting designed by someone who never has to use the application to run their day.

One Source of Information

Mavenlink has been great to work with from conversion to ongoing support.

Pros

Mavenlink enables us to know the workload of our teams and Ike projects on schedule and within budget.

Cons

I wish the reporting was easier so that more users could work in it.

A good fit for our unique needs

Although it took a while to get everything configured just right, once in place, Mavenlink has allowed our team to be more efficient, better project managers, and client communicators.

Pros

Our company has some unique business practices that makes most out-of-the-box platforms difficult to use. Mavenlink is customizable without being overly difficult to set up. It also has a powerful reporting engine that allows us to slice and dice our data with custom reporting.

Cons

Getting support on reporting needs will cost money, and the in-house support staff at Mavenlink has limited know-how (or allowance) to help with this. Client (non-paying) users are unable to see project budget and time burned.

OK for the basics, advanced functionality is either missing or not well implemented

Implementation was not very well executed. We basically had to figure it out on our own. THe "integrations" through thier integration tool are very poorly built and the tool is terrible. It gets the basics right but more advanced features like the Insights reporting add on are poorly executed.

Pros

Ease of use, Reporting, Project Financials

Cons

M Bridge integration platform is a complete failure. Its terrible. Training during implementation was not good. We've learned more on our own in a few classes. Time entry is weak and poorly designed. Lacks subprojects. User permissions are all or nothing in most cases.

Kind of a pain, but the software works

Pros

In terms of enterprise software, this is actually speedy. Like, I've used time tracking software that requires a page refresh every single time you make an entry. I don't have to wait a couple seconds after each edit in my time sheet. "Not clunky" is a low bar for enterprise software, yet so many SaaS products don't meet it. Mavenlink does.

Cons

Needs a desktop app. Also the way to put in time off is a MASSIVE discoverability issue. It should be right on the sidebar, or at least in the time and expense tab, not 4 clicks deep from a button without a useful label on the dashboard. Oh, and this is most likely low priority, but dark mode would be nice.

The Ultimate Services & Operations Management Software

The only way to describe this would be "It has been and still is fun to work with". It's a great piece of software, and once you get used to its logic you will be able to do great things - and by great things I mean measure exactly how much you sell your services for and how much resources you are actually using. This, plus see employee performance, project performance, you can create custom fields to cover for any special requirement.

Pros

- Integrations and API - An excellent Salesforce bridge is available and can be fully customised (if you know Java!). You also get other connectors for Jira, Slack, and an API that allows you to do virtually anything. - Integrated GoodData reporting - If you are technical enough you can improve your workflows by adding custom fields and creating custom metrics. I used this solution to monitor the...

Cons

I believe the biggest flaw in Mavenlink is the absence of a "real" administrator. Essentially, you can be an admin but if a project is set to "Invitation only" you cannot join it unless someone invites you. So being a Mavenlink admin is not like being a Jira admin where you can do anything you want, you are more of a "open projects administrator". The workaround is to have an integration user creating the projects and a good integration with your CRM that allows you to update fields that would be otherwise not accessible. Mind that you can still remove the integration user from the project, and at that point the only way to re-enter the project is to ask the project lead to invite you. This should clear any security concerns, if your projects require extreme privacy.

So, yeah, you could call me an evangelist

We implemented Mavenlink specifically to disabuse our organization of several disparate systems we were using for tracking time, task-level project management, and reporting on specific measurements/metrics like utilization, margin and capacity saturation so that we could improve operational efficiencies. We've found that the tool is very flexible, has some great native reporting capabilities that...

Pros

Flexible, provides the ability to set up multiple templates for different types of projects, supports T&M and Fixed Fee contract types, integrates to SalesForce, provides multiple views toward project status, continually adding new features and capabilities

Cons

Gantt charts are still in need of a lot of work and help. Still buggy, no user-defined view preferences can be saved.

Great Project Management Tool

We've been using MavenLink for over a year now and we are constantly learning new and better ways to utilise all the tools it has to offer. We use it as our core method of communication with our clients, it helps to have all the information in one place. The Time tracking tool is easy to use and we are hoping to take full advantage of the Resource Allocation and Gantt chart in the near future

Pros

- So many options and ways to customise each feature - Time tracking tool is very easy to use, our team prefers it over what we have had in the past - Custom reporting, especially weekly project reports, have upped our client communication game. Our Clients appreciate the extra level of transparency and it has helped us prevent a lot of surprises when the invoice is sent out. - Resource Allocation and Gantt chart really help when it comes to Project Planning.

Cons

- It's really difficult to see WHO is responsible for a task if multiple people are assigned to it. This is a problem when you are looking at a project and want to see who is responsible for what from 30,000 feet. Instead, you need to go to that specific task and read through the comments to see where it stands. There are a few workarounds for it, but then all involved extra work and monitoring to make sure everyone using the system is doing so correctly. - There doesn't seem to be a way to edit a comment once you post it - You can't customise the status options for the different tasks, so something is either in progress, not started, needs information, or completed. It doesn't really let you customise it to follow your workflows.

Achieve that 30,000 ft view!

I have been using Mavenlink as the primary account administrator for two different companies over the course of four years. The suite has proven to be an integral tool in my everyday professional life within the Marketing industry. It allows my teams to see only what they need to primarily be involved with for any particular day and clears away other clutter they may not be associated with. However,...

Pros

Depth of data analysis and business intelligence, gantt charts, deep task detail options, resource scheduling tools, built-in expense and budget tracking

Cons

There is an intermediate learning curve and may come across as immediately complex to the uninitiated creative. However, 10-15 minutes of poking around and taking advantage of the learning tools and startup tutorials offered by Mavenlink's stellar customer service program will address this minor concern. Mavenlink is a fantastically powerful information source, and with that power comes some proper approach and learning. It's all intuitive, though!

Software Implementation Process with Mavenlink

Pros

We have only been using Mavenlink for a little over 3 month and have already started to see visibility and transparency across the organisation. Mavenlink Insights and analytics reports provide the company with a holistic view of all projects and accounts. We are now easily able to identity project metrics and figures without all of the manual collation and reconciliation which takes an enormous amount...

Cons

Given we are an Australian based company there are a few things within the software which are set for the US, for example the date is in the wrong sequence and data refreshes happen at awkward times. These are only minor and don't stop us from achieving our main objectives. It would be helpful to have a little more control over these settings. It would be also good for Super Admin users to have a greater level of visibility. At present even admin need to be invited to a project to view the tasks and approve time etc. It would be helpful for Super Admin users to have this level of visibility with having to rely on a project lead to invite them to a project.

Our Next-Generation Project Management Tool

Our overall experience has been wonderful over the past few years. We were able to enable our PM team to become more metrics and data-driven, expanding their capabilities. Change Orders are a big business process that we solved by using Mavenlink. Approval and communication have been GREATLY streamlined! Before, we were managing change orders through written communication and supporting documentation, but now we are able to have the discussion in project meetings, then pass through the Change Order approval as a budget change and there is an affirmative action on their part. It's great!

Pros

The activity dashboard is the best part of Mavenlink. A feed that allows you to keep track of official communications and notes is perfect, plus it keeps clients involved. The API is also very strong and allows us to generate reports FAR beyond what is offered by Mavenlink. Our ability to manage projects and people has greatly increased due to the features that have been implemented since we switched to Mavenlink.

Cons

The Gantt chart needs a lot of work. The interface is slow and clunky, plus it is not a great view for the executives and sponsors, visually speaking. The purpose of this chart is not really to "manage" the project, but instead show a high level overview of everything. There is currently no great way to show this to execs and sponsors. There needs to be a better mobile experience as well. We need a fully functional way to log time, complete tasks, post activity and generally manage projects from Android and iOS.

Mavenlink for small business!

Pros

Coming from a large tech company, we built most of our project applications in house. After starting with a small business back in November, I spent my first couple of weeks finding the right tool to fit the projects that we manage. Most of the tools we found had something we liked and a lot that was overkill for a small company like us. Mavenlink has several product offerings that cater to different-sized...

Cons

The fact that you cannot pay month-to-month and have to commit to a year is a bit disheartening for a small company, but we spent lots of time trying it out to make sure it's what we wanted and it has been great so far. I was also disappointed/ confused on the way their users work. You pay for a set amount of users, however, you can add outside users to individual projects as a part of the company and they have access to track time, etc. When we asked support about this they seemed very confused and told us we'd have to pay for more users so we stopped doing that. However, I don't think we'd actually be charged if we did it that way since those 'users' on individual projects don't show up under the user management section.

A tool that encompasses meany features and functions

It's a work in progress, there's a world in Mavenlink still to discover and we're hoping to get there one day! It's still one of the best tools out there, in comparison

Pros

The product is easy to use, and it provides capabilities that with the right onboarder, can implement the tool strategically into the company, to meet the companies needs.

Cons

With a tool this sophicasticated I think the integration team could provide more support, without a cost attached to it. With the price tag, the team is forced to learn it and integrate it themselves which in turn results in improper use of the tool. Project management function, it's tedious and doesn't provide the support needed. There is room for improvement here.

A steep learning curve

Mavenlink is not a bad service. it does keep everything you need to manage a project in one place, as well as help you track hours spent on various tasks within projects and organize a timeline. It is somewhat difficult to use and difficult to learn how to use - I don't find it very user friendly or intuitive. I'm still getting over this learning curve, since I'm new to using the software, and will likely find that it becomes easier over time. At least I really hope it does.

Pros

Mavenlink is a great way to keep track of everything you need for multiple projects across various areas. Budget burn is clear to see, it's easy enough to add and message people on a project. Easy enough to track time, develop timelines, break projects down into tasks, etc. Good for very type A people who like to extremely organize everything.

Cons

It creates a lot of work for project managers. A lot goes into designing a project and filling it out, which is very time consuming. There is also a steep learning curve, especially if you are adapting to Mavenlink after being used to different systems. The trainings were somewhat helpful, but long, boring and repetitive. While it does keep everything in one place, it is difficult to adapt to using it where you would have used email, Skype messenger, google docs, etc. especially if you're working with colleagues who are not so technologically savvy.

WRIKE to MAVENLINK USER

Used Wrike for ~8 months and moved to Mavenlink over a year ago. In write you can't track time and expenses. The wrike issue tracking isn't great too. Before moving to Mavenlink, I looked at ~12+ project management tools. It's a pain to move platforms. So we didn't want to make the wrong move. There are so many tools out there. For us, a big priority was being able to track time and projects all in one place. Mavenlink does that and more. It's an awesome tool esp. for design teams and if a lot of your team is virtual.

Pros

- Time tracking integration. Don't have to use a third party tool. - Smart project task management. - Easy to track if "to do" is a "task" or an "issue" (very helpful for website projects where you have a TON of issues to deal with). - Easy to move tasks around and see the overall items you're working on. - Google docs integration. - You can track conversations all in one feed-- on more email. - You can respond via email.

Cons

- So many features. I don't use all of them. - They add on cool features... but want you to pay for them. - Expensive -- but worth it when you're managing a team and don't want to login to a ton of applications. - No dropbox integration. - Takes awhile to get used too. - You can't rename the issue or task items. For example, sometimes I want to change the status title from "needs info" to "client review" -- and I can't edit the status (I could do this in Wrike).

Mavenlink feedback

Pros

The reporting and overview of the project is very helpful. .I also like how you can budget towards individual tasks/milestones. It's also good to see an overview of staff's availability and schedule them on specific days for projects.

Cons

It's very frustrating when you need to allocated in the same amount of time per user across a long period. You have to go in individually to each week to add that time. When you have to do this for multiple users across different projects, it takes a lot of time!!! Should be able to do a recurring staffing - define the time period, how many hrs for which user and project. If there are changes to hrs or staffing for a project, you then have to go in and change across the board - should be able to change that recurring staffing to a different number/person

Mavenlink is a useful tool

Good

Pros

Customization of task lists, project fields, etc.

Cons

Gantt Schedule (hard to display), Reporting (albeit powerful, application for creating reports is not user-friendly in the slightest)

Overall good with a few weak areas.

We were able to provide better forecasting and manage budgets against timelines. All time entry is much better managed in a central location. We can also easily track which resources are available or not.

Pros

- Time Entry - Management of individual projects - Integrations w/ Jira - Forecasting/Planning - Happy to have approvals, but they could be more flexible. - Managing budgets against project timelines.

Cons

- Invoicing - Reporting - Happy to have approvals, but they could be more flexible. - Granularity of permissions

Works well for agencies

Overall, does well for project management. We lacked the ability to easily report on utilization rates and time entries in convenient ways. Mavenlink changed that for the better. Team collaboration with public and private posts can be more streamlined than emails, which can become siloed. Scheduling time and resource planner features are really handy, although I often don't get to what I planned...

Pros

Budget tracking is easy and effective, although depending on configuration, it can differ between the finances and budget tabs within a project. Gantt view is super helpful for changing timelines and communicating with client.

Cons

The task tracker sometimes is really slow to load when moving tasks around within a given project. There is often a huge number of notifications, but you can configure those to limit them significantly if necessary.

The Top Reasons We Chose Mavenlink

RESOURCE ALLOCATION Resource allocation is critical in our line of business and it was a major component missing from Active Collab. It is the norm for us to have multiple projects at varying phases of completion and up to 10 team members working on various tasks. As you can imagine, it can become very hard to keep track of workloads and schedule new tasks appropriately. Mavenlink has been a game...

Select your country

10+ YEARS RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE

© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.