Toggl Track

Cloud-based time tracking software for productive teams

Toggl Track Reviews

Pros

Toggl helps me track all my tasks and keeps me focused. I need to report on how I spend my time to my manager and Toggl does an amazing job and it's soooo easy to use.

AC

Anca C.

It's a great product helps me increase productive time and track how efficiently I am using time. I recommend everyone to use it.

pk

pavan k.

While there are several similar products on the market that will do basically the same job, it's the simplicity, clean interface and integrations that keep me loyal to Toggl.

Cons

I have a way to measure how much time I spend on client projects because I hate to track time. For hourly projects, I was always cheating myself.

GG

Gavriela G.

We wanted to become more co-ordinated and understand if we were hitting budgets and estimates, deadlines etc. This made it more disjointed than having no software.

Amy H.

Client Services

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Simple and easy to use

Transcript

Speaker 1: I'm Luke, I'm head of client services. I rate Toggl Track a four out of five. For more reviews...

Great Time Tracker

Transcript

Quiana D: Hi, my name is Quiana. I'm a copywriter, and I give Toggl a five out of five. Before switching...

Couldn't survive in business without Toggl

I've been using the free version for about 3 years I think. It's critical to my business. It doesn't have so many features that it's frustrating - it's just nice and simple. The paid version has WAY more features and tools that would be useful for a business of more than 1 person, or for someone who's a better business person than I am.

Pros

It's very easy to use, and the FREE version is all I need. I have a little app that runs on my computer that even reminds me to track my time if I'm not timing. I get really wrapped up in what I do, so it's easy for me to spend way longer than I anticipated on things. Being a solo entrepreneur, it was critical early on when I was trying to figure out how long things actually took me to do. I don't think I'd have been able to develop a clear enough pricing strategy for projects because I literally had no idea how long it took me.

Cons

The Windows app does undergo changes every now and then, so it gets a little glitchy. Right now, I can't hide the timer away like I used to be able to. I'm sure that'll be fixed by next updated but in the meantime it's only a minor annoyance for the benefit of the program. Which again, is FREE.

Toggl Track

I have been using Toggl for six years. I have implemented it in law firms, with partner agencies and used it as a search engine rater back in the day. Its just easy to use, straight forward and un-inhibited.

Pros

I love the flexibility to organize my time and track time useage without worrying that I missed time I won't be able to capture later or getting stuck in system linguistics that don't match my project or tracking needs.

Cons

I would love to be able to attach more detailed notes to the project that don't need to list with the actual time entry in reports. Also, the integrations are not useful for me. There is no Quickbooks or Microsoft integration.

Streamlined and Simple—Does One Thing Well

Despite the drawbacks mentioned, it's still so easy to just login and get tracking that I use this tool on personal projects and individual freelance clients.

Pros

It does exactly what you'd expect from time tracking software, and the interface is much more simplistic than some alternative tools. That means if you just need to jump into it and start the clock, then you can easily start your tasks and be effective.

Cons

The reporting features are less intuitive than they could be. I find the lack of subtasks for projects a real constraint if you needed this for complex tasks. So when it's time to move my tracked time from Toggl to my invoice, it's just not quite as slick as the tracking aspect. It's still doable, but just a bit more convoluted and less capable of handling complexity than some competing tools.

Great UI, poor UX. Very difficult to use and doesn't integrate well with processes

This really didn't solve any business issues. We wanted to become more co-ordinated and understand if we were hitting budgets and estimates, deadlines etc. This made it more disjointed than having no software

Pros

The interface is very nice. Visually, this software looks great. Other facets of the software such as Toggl Plan work well.

Cons

Our team tried to use this software for about 6 months. The result: No one tracked their time. We moved to Harvest a couple of months ago and since then everyone has tracked all of their time for 40hrs/week. The issue was the UX - tasks don't integrate well with other users. There's no company projects set up that everyone assigns time to. You either track against another team members' task or you...

An incredibly useful tool for freelancers

I love Toggl Track!! As a freelancer, it's indispensable for keeping track of my hours by project or client so I can create invoices (outside of Toggl Track). It makes it easy to collect the data to calculate the time I need for certain types of work, and helps me keep track of my training hours, which I need for my professional organization. All in all, I can't live without it and recommend it highly.

Pros

Its simplicity. Everything is quite intuitive--you can create multiple projects for each client, add descriptions, and add tags, and it's simple to run reports by those parameters. Generating the reports is straightforward and incredibly useful, and the data can be exported as CSV files (also as PDFs). It's handy having a desktop app (there's also a mobile app, which I don't use as much) with the option of running the timer directly in a browser--handy when I'm working away from my usual desktop.

Cons

Occasionally, I switch from one computer with the Toggl Track desktop app to another computer and have some syncing issues. The timer I thought was still running would have stopped or not stopped and I end up with some odd blocks of time. I haven't yet been able to figure out the exact issue so as to prevent this from happening (not enough time to sync with the cloud?). It can also be a pain to find an older project and start that timer again (e.g., a project that I had to set aside for 2 months and then pick up again)--you have to search for the entry you want through the web interface and copy & paste the description into the timer and manually add the same tags to start recording again.

For clients who buy hours, this helps

I use the free version and it's been fabulous for my business. I have clients that buy a few hours of work with me and this helps me make sure that I'm on track and not giving away free time. I really enjoy that it's in the browser too.

Pros

Browser extension that reminds me to actually clock my time. It's nuts. I'll be on a website working on a project and it reminds me to actually push the button and track what I'm doing. Love it. It also lets me group stuff by project.

Cons

Maybe if it had an audible alarm to alert you when closing out of a browser instead of leaving the timer on. I normally have to go back and edit my time because it then says it took 29 hours to do something. An alarm or something that goes off when closing down would really help me avoid that.

Simple, precise timer function

I am a freelance editor who sometimes works hourly and sometimes not. Either way, it is hugely beneficial to see how much time I am spending on various editing projects.

Pros

I love having the app open while I edit, with the tab at the top of my screen showing how much time I've been editing. It's also extremely helpful to be able to revise the time spent, because I sometimes forget to stop the tracker when I stop editing. I very much appreciate the fact that they deleted the "always on" Suggestions for projects, because I was often finished with projects that would keep popping up as Suggestions. Now I can hide those. Big improvement.

Cons

The mobile app sometimes does not sync properly or gets out of whack. I also can't find a way to go back and add a new entry to a past day.

The best of its type

I need a time tracking tool available on Web, Linux and Windows and Android that has offline capabilities and some specific features (notification bar on Android, API, etc), and Toggl Track meets them all.

Pros

Reliable sync and time tracking over different platforms.

Cons

Somewhat expensive paid plans but worth it.

Perfect features!

I use it to track my hours for my freelance services, providing my client with monthly reports of my hours. It's easy to understand and gives my client a sense of security knowing I give him a full report of my hours.

Pros

I love the fact that with the free trial you get a lot of features to get started on freelancing.

Cons

Nothing, it is an absolutely great software for tracking time.

Outstanding!

Pros

There's nothing you wished that was there.

Cons

Too many connected services from other websites. It causes problems in the loading of website in my country.

Awesome for solopreneurs

I have used it on and off for years (I'm not all that good at tracking time consistently), and now that I have figured out the integration with Asana, I am smitten.

Pros

what I most love about the software is how it integreates with Asana. You link the two in Chrome and then you will only need to click a link icon next to a task to start timing. That way, all your work on one task will be tracked together. I have all that I need in the free account, and would certainly keep using it if I need to upgrade when, down the road, my team would grow.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of. I am really happy.

Simple, elegant, reliable

I've been a Toggl Track user for several years, on and off, and have found it to be one of the most pivotal tools for maintaining my productivity. If I have a timer running for a particular task, I'm far less likely to switch tasks until it's done. It's remarkable how such a simple tool can have such an impact on my stress levels, too. Since I'm a solo user, I've only used the free account, but it's...

Pros

The simplicity, clean interface and numerous integrations. I should also highlight the stability and reliability. I can't rate the customer service because I've never needed to contact them!

Cons

There's very little to criticize here. What it sets out to do, it does extremely well. As a fan of the Pomodoro technique, I feel this function could be improved in Toggl. I'd prefer it if it didn't automatically stop the timer, but rather gave me the option to trigger a break after a set time.

Simply the best time tracking solution freely available for self-employed and freelance

Toggl is simply wonderful, very close to perfect to me.

Pros

I was tired of wasting a fortune with paid services just to track the time spent on an handful of tasks when working for my clients. I tried a few solutions out there, but all were paid, loaded with features that I didn't even need, and were a bit of a mess to navigate through just to manage my hours of issue a simple time report. I'm so glad I found Toggl : the basic free tier offers everything I...

Cons

None, really, apart from a few very minor annoyances I found with the browser UI : - Some quirks when editing time entries, but you get used to the way the time editing UI works with experience. - In some specific states, clicking the "start" button has no effect, so you end up not having tracked your time after doing a task. It still happens to me from time to time. This can be annoying, so I have to keep a vigilent eye the status icon (browser tab icon) when I'm working on something.

The best time tracking app!!

Before I used an Excel sheet to record what projects I worked on, from what time to what time... and that needed a lot of maintenance, and I eventually stopped using it. With Toggl Track I can see which days I worked over time, or under time, so that at the end of the week I can compensate, and when it is time for timesheets, I can go to Toggl and see how much time I spent on which projects. It is also useful when you have a time budget for a specific task, I can compare the time spent VS budget, and see how I can improve (work more efficiently). Toggl Track has made tracking time easy and effortless.

Pros

The first thing that I liked when I started using Toggl Track is how the app looks. For something you will use everyday, it must have beautiful design, and in my opinion this app is well designed. Second for me is how practical it is to log the time entries. Some apps are online only (which I am not a big fan), and this app allows time to be tracked on a windows app, android, apple devices, internet...

Cons

One feature I felt was missing is the Google Calendar integration, but I received a notification today to inform me that the feature is now available for beta users, so it is coming (and we do have the option of URL for paid users). In general I don't like monthly subscriptions, and I prefer to avoid those when I can... and I would gladly pay for a once-off fee (reasonable for my corner of the world)... but the free version does all that I need from the software, so I can't really count that as a negative really. I am not a big fan of the pink app color... but don't hate it either... just wish they picked a different color.

Since 2015, Toggl has been my only time-tracking app

The basic time-tracking aspect cannot be understated, it's dead simple to use out of the box. I have used other time-tracking apps that turned out to be bundled together with invoicing and I simply don't need that. I bill fixed retainers and only record hours for internal purposes so that I can course correct if I am ahead or behind on work and fix time-sucks. Other tools like Harvest wanted to integrate it all and it was heavy. I can't remember how I found Toggl but it was perfect. I had a hard time understanding the difference between Clients & Projects, at first. It was easy to pick up but I think I got confused with a UI change years ago. No problems since.

Pros

Out of the box, simple to use. Simple pricing and a free tier. The reporting is really simple but has 4 default views. This makes analysis really easy, knowing that I can see my work for an individual client over the course of a week, month, or year with just a couple clicks.

Cons

I have found the latest UI update has made clicking the Start button in the web UI to be pretty slow, I end up having to click it twice a lot and that is annoying.

Best Time Tracker, hands down!

My time was slipping away and I didn't know where it was all going. Waiting for files to render means 4-10 minutes of time twiddling my thumbs; then picking up on some other task like replying to emails that I would like to do for the ten minutes. That quickly turns into 40 minutes and then the momentum is gone! I don't know how long Ive been working on what and then all of a sudden its 5pm and its...

Pros

Toggl is so easy to use! There is an auto function that gathers info on what you are doing on your computer and you can then review the items in 15 minute chunks; by app, by webpage or by document. Its such an easy way to automatically track your time so you aren't fussing with buttons etc. Really easy and beautiful interface too. The app integrations are great and work with apps like Asana and Trello really well.

Cons

Some small bugs when switching from apps too quickly and the mobile app doesn't have the same amount of functionality as the desktop version (which is to be expected of course) Other than that its pretty solid.

A solid offering in the time-tracking space.

Overall, it does what I need to. I have tried many MANY time tracking softwares over the years, including the time tracker included with FreshBooks - which you would think I'd use as it integrates directly with my billing - but I kept coming back to and using Toggl, despite the few hiccups I encounter.

Pros

The key for me here is its ability to integrate with my project management software: Asana. Beyond that, I think they have a good cross-platform presence with their easy-to-use mobile app and, desktop (Windows) app and web app; I use all 3 regularly but the desktop client the most. Oh yeah, and the Chrome extension.

Cons

Its cross-platform nature also proves to be a challenge (at lest for me). There are 4 places I set it up (see Pros) and sometimes they conflict / send duplicate messages / aren't in sync or don't sync very quickly. If you're on one computer, this isn't an issue but when moving between devices this isn't as seamless as I'd like. Part of this might be attributed to my own connectivity challenges at times...

Toggl is the best time tracking software

We've been using Toggl in our business for over a year. It's key to track the time it takes to do certain tasks. We didn't know that when we started and we weren't tracking anything. When we found that out, we started tracking our times manually (writing the time of start and the time we ended in Evernote) This activity itself took too much time. But when we discovered Toggl it was productivity-changing! It's essential for our daily activities now. We considered many options like RescueTime and others I don't remember but found Toggl to be the most straightforward/easy to use

Pros

How EASY it is to use the features. I love that it remembers past entries so you don't need to retype any frequent activities. Also, the reports are really detailed. And I really appreciate it when I get an email from Toggl because I forgot to stop the timer; really useful!

Cons

The fact that it has not a mobile version of their site. The Toggl app was a total mess since the day I installed even though they tried to fix the issues updating the app several times (and even making a NEW app) but with no results. So when using my phone, I rely on their website to access my Toggl timer and reports but it looks terrible on phones. Also, their reports are not directly accessed via the Toggl desktop program but it opens the website (so when I have no internet access I cannot see it; it would be cool if I could).

Awesome time tracking app!

I am using Toggl since 2017. And everyone at SprintCube is using Toggl for tracking their time. This helps me to focus on important things instead of micromanaging. We use it for all our activities like meetings, development, calls, and what not. Also, this data helps us to negotiate with clients!! We can also have different reports which help us to identify the areas where and how much our time is invested. Overall, this app is awesome and helps us to be more productive!

Pros

Toggl is a full-featured time tracking application. - It is very simple to use. - It provides features like idle time detection, tracking reminder. - The app is available for all the platforms like desktop, mobile, and web. You can even integrate into the Chrome browser to easily track time on any third-party application like BitBucket, GitLab, Jira, etc. - Powerful reports with export option. You...

Cons

In the free version, it provides all the basic features. But still, I miss the following things. - In reports, the time entries are not grouped by date. - The number of users in a team is just 5. It would be great to have at least 10 users for small agencies which can't afford the paid version.

We haven't considered changing tools since the beginning!

We have employees that use the Toggl Chrome extension and others using the desktop version. We also have it on our mobile devices. We run reports for payroll and we run reports to see how much time we spend doing a, b or c, and therefore, we are able to see what profit or loss we accumulated on a specific project, based on our original quote. It's not too complex nor too simple to meet our needs.

Pros

Toggl allows an employer to see all employees' details in one "team" location. The reports are wonderful. Toggl is easy to use. It connects well with other tools like Asana. Very few (if any) glitches/bugs on the important things. Aesthetically clean and easy to navigate. Updates quickly. I receive a weekly report of hours worked, classified by time spent per project. Great tagging system. Allows you to list your clients and projects so that everything stays organized. You can also add a description for any entry. Can easily pick up where you left off without having to re-enter the details of what you're working on. Great searching feature that allows you to see all work done in a time period, by group of employees, with certain key word or with one or multiple tags.

Cons

It would be nice if you could customize the reports more. For example, I would like to print a PDF of a report showing all time entries but not showing who was the user for each entry. There have also been some features that I've struggled to figure out how to navigate or turn off and on. For example, Toggl started creating a new entry every time I paused and resumed instead of resuming the same entry. Once resolved, it has worked great, but it took me a while to figure out what setting was causing the issue.

We have been tracking our time for many years

We started using toggl more than five years ago as task tracking, timesheet generation and reporting. The data has provided insight into how much time is spent on random things and how productive one's team actually is. And helps project managers to plan and achieve realistic timeframes. I haven't made use of the premium features. However the features available include multiple workspace (I have one for my personal projects), manual & live time tracking, calender view, a game-like achievements , coloured clients, projects, tags and export & reporting tools. I have and will recommend Toggl

Pros

The app and most functions are free for teams less than 5 members. This is great as we are a minute company. The desktop app is great to use to track your time, task switching and can setup hour intervals with a notice popping up to remind you to track your time..

Cons

The recent colour change to pink/purple is a bit weird on the user interface. But that's just my subjective opinion

There's no reason to use any other software for your time tracking

I feel like such a freeloader because I've always used the free version of toggl and it has been more than I need for all of my time tracking needs. I started out using it as a freelancer, and it still works at the free level for me even with a couple of team members. I absolutely love Toggl, so the least I can do is leave this review for them.

Pros

I love the simple interface and how it provides the option to discard your inactive time (for those cases where you leave your desk and forget to pause your timer), keep your time as part of your existing time tracking project, or save the time to a new time tracking project.

Cons

I've been using the software for over 5 years. Initially there were some hiccups, but that has all been ironed out now. This is as close as you get to perfect software that does exactly what you want it to do.

Time management has never been so easy!

It is great! After our first week with Toggl, my son was able to decrease the amount of time he spent getting distracted by a full hour each day. When I showed him just how much time he was spending on each class, and how much quicker he finished his assignments when he just focused he was able to see the positives.

Pros

I use Toggl to track both mine and my child's schoolwork on a daily basis. While he is simply navigating third grade compared to my taking classes to receive my bachelor's degree, Toggl helps us both immensely. The ability to track how much time you spend on each class is very helpful and let's you see just how productive you are. You can see how much time you have spent on a specific task/class or...

Cons

It is much better to use Toggl on a desktop VS your phone, in my opinion. The text is very small and hard to read on the phone.

Easy to use, Effective, Efficient and Productive

I have been using Toggl for more than 6 months. It helps me to see where and how much time I am spending.

Pros

1. Available across all major platforms like Android, Apple, Windows and Chrome. 2. Tags. 3. Reports. 4. Suggestions of time entries based on history as we write to enter new time and task entry.

Cons

1. Lags too much. 2. Errors in automatic tag entries. 3. We have to stop timer first to enter manual entry.

Toggl Track - Exceptional!

I wanted a way to track my time usage across several categories, and Toggl does this well. Tracking time usage for these categories will help me estimate time use on future projects. After I have tested Toggl more thoroughly I plan to introduce it to my colleagues.

Pros

It does exactly what I need it to do - keep track of my work time by project, category and task. It was quite easy to learn. It works seamlessly across devices. It doesn't need internet access to work, which is especially important for me as I often work off-grid.

Cons

The only thing -very minor- that I don't like is that when I am using my laptop for other things it keeps giving reminders to turn on my timecard. I'm sure there's a way to turn this off, but I haven't had time to figure it out.