Stripe Reviews

4.69/5 (1,358 reviews)

Sarah Vaughan

Easy Integration for a Variety of Content Management Systems

Reviewed 2019-09-25

Customer service is excellent, the product itself is excellent, and it fulfills all of our needs and the needs of our clients.

Pros
Stripe is by far the most secure, easy to use, and easily integrated service of its type. We work with organizations both large and small, and whether a client has team members who are going to be working in their CMS after their website is designed or not, Stripe is the best option. It is easy to use, even for beginners and even those who are not designers and developers, and the fact that it doesn't allow hackers to add code to the checkout page protects our clients better than any other system we've seen. We recommend a Stripe integration for every single client who has an online store or sells any number of products online.

Cons
It does require some knowledge of front end development to integrate with many CMS platforms, even Wordpress. It's not necessarily the easiest to setup, even if you know your way around Wordpress or drag and drop design platforms. The only other downside is that checkout forms are not customizable. This is actually not a bad downside for us because the reason they are not so is due to the inability to add custom code to the checkout form, making it more secure. Trading customization for security is a no brainer on our end, but if you are an agency with a picky client, or if you just really want a custom checkout form, Stripe won't work for you. Then again, if you're willing to have your customer's credit card information stolen just because you refuse to use a templated checkout form that looks modern and is efficient and easy to use, your opinion sucks anyway.

Nick Thompson

The Best Payment Processor for both Beginners and Experienced Developers

Reviewed 2019-09-04

My experience with Stripe has been fantastic overall. They have done a great job with user experience and documentation. It's a company that truly opens up a world of entrepreneurial possibilities for everyone.

Pros
Stripe is easy to implement and offers a robust API for experienced developers to create highly customized solutions. It's easy to integrate with other platforms, create one-off charges for customers or subscriptions.

Cons
While the fees are competitive, they can get high on high dollar transactions. I try to resort to ACH transactions for larger transactions, but they can take about a week to process. I wish this was faster.

Jon Nugent

Client Payment Option

Reviewed 2019-07-30

I’ve used Stripe from the beginning and have had no issues with it.

Pros
What I like most about Stripe is the level of encryption and security associated with the product. I also like the ease in which Stripe can be implemented / integrated on websites and e-commerce platforms.

Cons
The lack of other apps that can be used with Stripe but that’s an industry wide issue, regardless of payment platform, due to privacy and security.

Becky DeForest

Stripe is my first choice for all merchant processing needs

Reviewed 2019-01-26

I love Stripe. I would use them for all of my merchant processing needs whenever possible. They have a solid platform that just works. Even if you are technically challenged, you can set up a Stripe account and plug it into your business. They do a great job of scrubbing transactions for potential fraud and they are quick to pay out, usually within 1-2 business days. My bank tried to get me to change my merchant processing to them from Stripe, but they wanted me to sign a contact for 2 years and pay monthly fees whether I used it or not. Stripe doesn't do any of that nonsense. They charge you for each transaction and that is it.

Pros
It is extremely easy to set up an account and authorize it for use. Reporting is easy and useful, and I love that I get a snapshot of my income immediately upon logging in. Adding in new business is easy and allows me to keep my revenue streams organized for both me and my customers. Each new business lets me set a new statement descriptor so my customers know what they are paying for when reviewing their credit card statements. They are integrated with many different platforms, including ecommerce and accounting software, so connecting the many pieces of your business is easy.

Cons
They have some extremely technical pieces of their software, including webhooks and API calls. If you are not technically minded, this can get confusing and potentially cause issues with your credit card processing. But as long as you are working with software that is integrated well (think Woocommerce or Xero) then it should be very easy to use Stripe in your business. Also, while it is great that they send emails to my customers that have issues with their recurring transactions, they do not give those customers a way to update their credit card information. This seems like a no brainer considering they are the processor and they are giving notice that they are unable to process the card they have on file. Instead, they continue to email my customer, who then contacts me and I have to try to sort this out for them.

Kamila Gornia

It's what I use to process payments!

Reviewed 2019-01-16

I am pleased with them so far, I have heard from colleagues saying they can easily process millions per year in Stripe and without issues so I am looking forward to continuing to grow with this payment processor by my side.

Pros
I used to use my bank's merchant for 3-4 years, thinking they were giving me a better rate. long story short, they weren't AND they were confusing to use. So I switched to Stripe, which is frequently used in my field of coaching and digital products. I have been very happy so far. - I am able to process payments myself, it integrate with 3rd party shopping carts with ease (I use ThriveCart), it allows to create trials, subscriptions, all the things I wanted. PLUS I get to charge and bill clients on my own too with their cards on file which sometimes we have to do when the clients tell us to do so, instead of having to send constant shopping cart links. I was doing that before with Infusionsoft and my merchant, but now I can do it all within Stripe and it's easy. - I have not had any issues with Stripe holding my funds or anything. Pleased. - I like their simple reporting as well, how much money you've made each day, etc. It's nice to see the comparisons on the monthly basis as well.

Cons
- It's a bit complicated to use for someone who might not be techy. I am pretty techy and I think I've got a handle on it, especially since I mainly use it as the processor with my shopping cart, but if I had to use Stripe on its own, it probably would get complicated. - Sometimes I find it hard to find what I need to in Stripe. Like, a payment would get declined and I'd want to rebill or attempt the rebill - sometimes it's hard to find the option to do that on the declined payment. I always do eventually find it, but I never know EXACTLY how to do it. - I wish the payments landed in my bank sooner but I just switched it so it lands in my bank like a day or so after being collected which is better. My own merchant would be next day so this is now closer. - Obviously always would be nicer if the fees were lower but it is on par with every other option out there so this can't really be a con since it's not HIGHER.

Richard Iddings

Super easy and straight-forward to integrate and use.

Reviewed 2018-06-05

Most of our business transactions are processed through Stripe and we've set Stripe up for clients who require online merchant processing. By far the easiest and most straight-forward merchant processor to setup for online processing.

Pros
Hands down, the easiest merchant processor to integrate into Gravity Forms or WooCommerce - I have to imagine it integrates just as easy with other popular tools, but my experience is limited to Gravity Forms and WooCommerce. Within Stripe itself, navigating is intuitive and easy with very friendly report tools. Looking up transactions is easy and may be search by name, email address, transaction id, and even partial data (like billing address, product, etc). Full and partial refunds are also very easy to manage. The reporting is especially helpful as it goes back in detail for as long as you've been a customer (so, I have data going back 3 years all readily available). I also appreciate the popularity of Stripe and how common third-party integration has become - in my case into AgileCRM and Freshbooks. Lastly, they have an amazing free iPhone app. Very useful for when you're on the road and you can basically do everything from the app that you could do from their desktop dashboard.

Cons
I have never won a dispute - no not one - and the process seems entirely automated. While I have only had four disputes in the past 12 months, all of which were admitted mistakes on the customer's part, I submitted emailed conversations with the client where they admitted error, and I still lost. Since then, I've been told it's best to get the client to contact their credit card company to rescind the dispute but it was frustrating that the process is so automated that it seems not to favor the merchant. So, with that in mind, if you ever have a dispute, work with the customer to get them to rescind it.

Larry Moss

Reliable, easy to use payment processing

Reviewed 2019-08-01

We have used AuthorizeNet, Square, and Stripe for our processing. So far, I'm much happier with Stripe than the others due to the ease of use, both in configuration and reviewing reports. After trying Stripe with one business, we quickly decided to move the others over. I hope they get around to adding a mobile solution similar to Square.

Pros
The best part of Stripe is how easy it is to set up. I'm using it for multiple businesses. Setting up each business was quick, easy, and error free. I'm able to access each business with a single login, but each business is kept independent, so it's clear and always easy to see which account I'm reviewing. In addition, adding others that need to have access (partners, bookkeeper, assistant), and granting them only the privileges they need has been equally straightforward. We have both custom applications that we needed to integrate Stripe with, as well as off the shelf packages/services and have found it very easy to set up for all of our uses. Navigating purchases, receipts, and reports is also easy. We have had no issues at all with service so far.

Cons
The only thing I'm disappointed by is the lack of a mobile solution. For mobile payments, we're using Square.

Binyamin Klempner

Wouldn't Use Any Other Online Payment Processor

Reviewed 2019-02-10

Although not particularly robust, Stripe is simple, easy, and reliable, and when it comes to handling other peoples money that is exactly what I'm looking for. Honest, simlple, easy, reliable!

Pros
Sometimes you just find exactly what you're looking for. When I stumbled upon Stripe it was one of those times. At first I was even skeptical, it sounded way too good to be true, an online payment processor that offered all the features I needed, was easy and intuitive to navigate. I showed it to a friend who told me if its too good to be true its probably a scam. But in this case I've been using Stripe for over five or six years and I couldn't be happier with it. Stripe is easy to use, and efficient. From Stripe, money is deposited directly into my bank account within a matter of a day or two. What's more, the online checkout on my webstore is, thanks to Stripe, very cutting edge looking which adds to costumer trust when purchasing my, not exactly inexpensive, products. I like Stripe. I trust Stripe. And, with the utmost confidence, I highly recommend Stripe.

Cons
When its comes to "Cons," I'm sorry to disappoint but I can really think of very few cons. I suppose my needs are fairly simple, and if my needs were financially more complex I would need a platform with a more robust set of offerings. But that being not the case, I just can't think of many minuses to using Stripe.

Amna Rizvi

One of the easiest payment processor!

Reviewed 2019-09-22

Overall, because of the ease of signup, fast account starting, least lenghty forms, easy refunds etc, I really like it. Just wish they accepted high risk sites (maybe with higher fees etc?)

Pros
Its very easy to sign up. I've tried dozens of payment processors and they all have tons of pages and information they ask first before we can begin our first transaction. The best thing about Stripe is that they can confirm your SSN with your name/address etc and voila, in 5 minutes after you sign up (which also takes at most 5 minutes), you can actually start collecting payments on your website!

Cons
They have no flexibility for high risk accounts. One of my client whose account was closed because of being 'high risk' (even though he didn't have ANY dispute for 6 months) offered them DOUBLE the comission, but STripe simply refused. Didn't budge or counter offer anything. That customer does half a million dollars worth of gross revenue business per annum right now (and growing), yet Stripe ditched him!

Randi Zucker

Simple App for Website eCommerce and Online Payments

Reviewed 2019-07-25

My overall experience has been lovely. I will continue to use Stripe and recommend it to my clients. I have my own ecommerce websites and help others build their own and always use you when I can.

Pros
EASE of install! I've been using Stripe for many years now. I first used it for my e-Commerce website MensAccessoriesBox.com and found your system to be the easiest to install onto my Wordpress website and I needed to setup recurring monthly automatic payments for my customers and I had no issues with Stripe. Ease of Use! I can easily see my sales. I can give refunds, I can charge credit cards and setup users directly on stripe. I use stripe now for all my businesses and when I am building an ecommerce website I encourage my clients to use Stripe. 1099 forms - I like that Stripe provides 1099 forms when I made more than a certain amount each year Easy to give refunds and partial refunds Fraud protection is pretty good on basic version

Cons
Invoicing - for a while I couldn't figure out how I could send invoicing thru Stripe, so I used PayPal for that. But I believe you now make that possible and I need to explore that area further. Customer service-Navigating your support area to get to live chat or phone number can be tricky sometimes, requires a few clicks. I wish it was a little easier or offer a live chat bubble on the dashboard and support area right away.

Dave Warfel

The Gold Standard for Accepting Online Payments

Reviewed 2019-05-03

I can't say anything negative about these guys. For all the areas PayPal fails, and is incredibly frustrating to work with sometimes, Stripe comes in and makes everything simple. They are THE gold standard for accepting online payments.

Pros
Stripe is one of those products that JUST WORKS. They have meticulously thought through every detail of accepting online payments, and they take care of it all in the background so you can run your business. They have automated fraud detection, a beautiful UI, several bank deposit scheduling options, just the right amount of customization options for invoices & receipts, seamlessly allow for recurring subscriptions, and provide great reporting. They also have an Android app with limited features, but it provides a great overview of your daily, weekly and monthly stats.

Cons
Honestly, I can't think of any. I've never had a problem with any part of their software. It's integrated seamlessly with a WordPress plugin I use called Easy Digital Downloads, and I've had no issues in the 12 months since I've been selling with Stripe. If I HAD TO mention one, it would be that they aren't available in all countries yet. They are expanding to add more countries, and have about 10 or so in a pilot program right now, but this could be a potential deal breaker if you do business in one of the countries they don't support.

Teegan Fiedler

Works Seamlessly with our billing software

Reviewed 2019-08-26

This software, because of it's tight integration with Kareo EHR has allowed us to quickly and efficiently take payment from patients from a variety of credit card types. Because it is not an extra system, this has significantly cut down on the amount of training required for employees.

Pros
The reason we choose to use Stripe over another money collection service is that it works seamlessly with our health record billing software. This makes the process of checking patients out quick and efficient. We loved that stripe works with a credit card swiper as well. I also love having access to all of my transaction data in the Stripe mobile app.

Cons
The only problem I've run into is that since we are using Stripe as an integrative system, it doesn't register different patients in our EHR as "Customer" in the Stripe system. So I am unable to see statistics like the number of new customers and average revenue per customer. I would also like to see an option to customize which days are displayed when showing data for a week. For example: the graphs drop all the way to 0 on the weekends and our day off, which makes the income have sharp peaks and valleys.

Jeremy Fulton

Great payment solution for small businesses

Used monthly for 1-2 years
Reviewed 2019-08-21

I am using Stripe to collect client fees directly from my clients. Overall it's been a good experience and I have yet to have a real problem with it (unless it's my error).

Pros
I like that it allows me to build and send invoices directly from it without having to do any coding or sophisticated connecting of accounts. It also links to my online appointment software (Bookafy) should I want to use it when appointments are made. I can do all my billing through the web interface and track it through the iPhone app. Also, for small businesses the fees are some of the lowest for Credit Card transactions.

Cons
There are two things that make it less than perfect for my use case: 1. I sometimes set up a payment plan for clients instead of charging the full fee at one time. There is a built-in subscription feature, but no option to have an end date or end after X payments. I did contact support, and it can be done if I was interfacing via the API. But since that is beyond my skills/needs, I manually send each invoice when it's due. 2. Since it is such a powerful platform that can be scaled for businesses of all sizes, the interface is complicated, esp. since I'm not familiar with all the billing terms/processes a large company may use. But the help feature has helped me learn. If there was a simpler interface for non-power users, it would be appreciated.

Alex Troyer

Stripe has THE best developer API and customer support out of all payment processors available.

Reviewed 2019-05-16

Pros
The API development documents for this payment processor are literally the gold standard in the industry. Stripe provides personalized walk-throughs for almost all development questions addressed in their support documents which makes implementing their API incredibly simple. Their support is also top notch. Where I would have to wait for weeks to get a response from other large payment processors (Massive pain), slack shot me an email response within 24 hours and answered all the questions I had. Cannot recommend their service enough. 5 Stars from me.

Cons
Their dashboard, if you're not experienced in using software, can be quite confusing. I had to walk my business partner through some of the features that are seemingly hidden but a short period, he was able to pick up on most of it.

Raul Fernandez Jimeno

Best alternative to paypal, elegant and easy to set up

Reviewed 2019-02-16

I am using it for selling digital products online. It is easy to set up, and looks like one of the most serious companies in the field. I am also trying to use to integrate with an ecommerce shop, but waiting for their technical team to review the extension since some weeks ago. But I have good feeling that are really a tech company and are very ready. Before I was using the payment system of my bank, that has not improved in the last 5 years, and now is obsolete. I think with stripe I will have a good product, even when commissions are about 1% higher than other options.

Pros
I like that you can set it up very fast. They also offer some free integrations (as the one with Magento). Are a very active company creating new features, and even have 3D verification as an additional security issue. Right now I think it is the most used by online sellers.

Cons
What I like the less are the commissions. They range from 1.5% to 3.5% in my experience. I find that it is too high, but it is the standard in the market. Only few companies like Adyen are charging less, but I think that are more difficult to set up and maybe that much secure. Also, I think you need to configure the security setting specially if you sell digital products where you do not check if the address matches with the data of the card. Otherwise you will not only lose the money, but also have a charge back fee. Second thing that I like the less is that they take too long in my opinion to give the money of the order to the seller. In addition to that, I also do not like that if the customers pays in dollars and you are in Europe, they will transform the money to Euros (with a commission), and if you want them in dollars, you have to pay again again to transform them into dollars. I do not know why I can not have balance in different currencies. But overall, I think it is a very good option for online sellers. Probably the best nowadays.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Arin West

Take The Hassle Out Of Working Internationally!

Reviewed 2019-07-30

Pros
We do quite a lot of work in the US, but we use an online bank which doesn't yet accept international payments. Stripe makes this process a breeze (and the fees are very reasonable) and prevents us from having to route money through multiple accounts to get to us. It's intuitive for the customer, and it's super simple for us to implement it into invoices and online forms.

Cons
There's only one, but it's a pretty big one. When a client has paid and the money has dropped in Stripe, it can take a long time to reach your actual bank account. I've had to wait well over a week for most transactions to appear despite setting up my account to receive funds as soon as possible.

Francoise Jeanes

Stripe gets me paid!

Reviewed 2019-08-01

Pros
I have all my business's recurring billing running through stripe. It's been pretty much set it and forget it unless clients' card info need re-entering if they have a new card, for example. I used to use square but went to stripe because of the recurring payments feature.

Cons
I don't get emails when payments don't go through. I have to log in and then see if any payments have failed by going to the payments page. I'd like to get my deposits the next day, like with square, instead of the second business day. When there's a back holiday weekend that really pushes payments back. I am not a developer so I use Plugnpaid to create simple interfaces to embed on a website for folks to pay me for services.

Chris Casseday

Started off great, but ended up being a payment processor that I would not recommend.

Reviewed 2019-04-30

Overall, I loved Stripe in the beginning, but after seeing the holes in the fraud prevention filter I immediately removed it from my website. It is not worth the risk of dealing with chargebacks for fraudulent payments, so I chose to run all transactions through PayPal, and I've had zero issues since.

Pros
Stripe is extremely easy to use and provides functionality that businesses, both small and large, are looking for when it comes to collecting payments online. From the start, I was able to create an account and add Stripe to my eCommerce website within a matter of minutes. The features (such as Apple Pay) are great with Stripe. Similarly, Stripe integrates perfectly with WordPress and Woocommerce.

Cons
After a few months of using Stripe, I began to see signs that were very concerning. Stripe's "Radar" fraud protection filter began to let several questionable payments process without flagging them. Even when pushed, Stripe's customer service team said that the payments were safe and there were no signs of fraud. However, on more than one occasion I just knew that something was not right when these types of payments would come through. By digging into my site's analytics I was able to see that the payments were being sent from out of the country or from different zip codes, and that was enough to promote me to refund all of the questionable payments.

Likelihood to recommend: 3/10

Khaled Hasoneh

Reviewed 2019-07-20

Pros
Eas of use, and having a mobile app made it much easier to track payments

Cons
there are some features that need technical knowledge to be implemented, like: "Update billing info Form"

Jaron Hall

Great, but expensive.

Reviewed 2018-08-21

Pros
What I like most about it is that it just works and I rarely have to mess with it. It's one of those things that you just need to have if you ever want to accept payments online, so you have to decide who you're going to pick as your payment processor. Stripe is high tech, and integrates with my CRM (full disclosure though, it ONLY integrates with Stripe. Does not support others). I know that Stripe provides a top of the line product, and I have not had any issues with it that I can recall.

Cons
It's quite expensive. The transaction rates are not at all among the lowest. If you want to try and negotiate lower rates, you need to start processing some big numbers. Right now, my CRM only works with Stripe. I couldn't shop around from competitors even if I wanted to. So, I'm kind of stuck with Stripe. Luckily, I'm stuck with a good product. But, it comes at a price. When I do the math, I spend a few thousand dollars a year just in processing fees. If I was able to, I probably would shop for a cheaper transaction rate, because Stripe has a lot of features I simply don't need that I'm still paying for.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Anonymous

Stripe in the Travel Industry

Reviewed 2019-08-05

I think Stripe is a fantastic product, and they have been very reliable, but they need to be more competitive on credit card processing fees.

Pros
Stripe is a very high-quality platform, with a great user interface (when we need to circumvent our API connection) and solid fraud-protection measures (compared to Square).

Cons
Pricing. We send a significant amount of volume via Stripe, but they were unwilling to reduce the per-transaction fee to anywhere close to what we were able to obtain from other credit card processors. We still do use Stripe, but for a limited subset of transactions that hit certain purchase profiles (select currencies, purchase windows, etc).

William Fulton

Online Payment Acceptance Made Easy

Reviewed 2018-08-08

Stripe has been our main online payment processor for the last three years. There have been very few hiccups or issues. We receive our payments within 48 hours most of the time. Integration is easy, account setup is easy, there are no monthly fees. It is a no-brainer.

Pros
Stripe integrates in to nearly any shopping cart or invoicing system that I have used. If an integration is lacking, the documentation is very clear. In most cases, performing the integrations is completely hands-off and literally only requires your username and password. By managing these integrations with auto-config scripts, it takes the hard work out of getting set up for payments.

Cons
Stripe is super careful about certain types of credit card transactions. If you do any sort of volume, you will likely get a transaction or two flagged by their review team. This usually just requires a little more info and then the transaction clears in a few days. One other major issue is the transaction fees tend to be on the higher end of normal. You can get much better rates through an Authorize.net account, but those carry other monthly fees absent in Stripe's offering.

Joe Kelnhofer

Easiest Payment Processing for WooCommerce

Reviewed 2019-08-21

Overall, I haven't had any issues with Stripe.

Pros
Extremely easy to set up with WooCommerce. I've tried a few different payment processing solutions and Stripe was by far the easiest. Also free to set up and connect, unlike others like Authorize.net.

Cons
3.5% for American Express transactions is a little high / annoying. But it's just a minor con from the eyes of the seller.

Anonymous

Used in conjunction with fundraising platform

Reviewed 2019-08-20

Pros
Stripe has simple back-end reporting and enables us the ability to easily refund potentially fraudulent transactions if they slip through the cracks and even make it that far. I appreciate that multiple items we utilize can all process transactions through Stripe so we only have to have one account to process credit cards.

Cons
I wish, similarly to Network for Good, that it was implemented directly into the fundraising platform we are using instead of requiring a separate account and login but I do understand why it is as it is.

Julie Wolfe

Great, easy payment processor for smaller businesses

Reviewed 2019-07-27

Pros
This is a pretty easy to use payment processor, and the rates are good compared to Paypal and others we considered. We have used it for a long time with not terribly many issues. I believe we’ve tested it’s capacity lol. I’ve definitely recommended it to entrepreneurs.

Cons
We found a better rate and more robust functions and features with quickbooks. With our sales platform and Stripe together we’ve had issues not getting alerts when clients recurring payments get declined so that’s become a big enough issue to necessitate a switch.