Hightail

Share Files & Collaborate on Creative Projects with Hightail

Hightail Reviews

Pros

I like the solid reliability of the Hightail service. I also like the option of requesting delivery receipt.

Jim K.

Professional, reliable, stylish, good useful functionality and an affordable price as a freelance Photographer.

William R.

We use it weekly and it is really helpful for confidential files or files where we want to have some receipt they were downloaded by the user. It is especially helpful for legal documents.

Shawn R.

Cons

That I have to pay to send more than one file. I get it but it is annoying at the same time.

Every other paid FTP program that exists out there (We Transfer, for example) seems to immediately trigger the firewall, which is an aggravating issue.

Tom G.

When the format changed, I had a bit of trouble figuring out how to send files.

Jo Ann C.

Hightail - a business tool I can't live without.

Transcript

Marianne L.: Hi, my name is Marianne. I'm an experiential designer and creative director. I love Hightail....

Very Simple to use

Transcript

Joe M.: Hi, my name is Joe. I am a Vice President of New Product Development in the digital signage retail...

Great for large files and folders

At a great price, you can store a TON of files, very useful for anyone who is constantly sending, receiving, and storing all types of files.

Pros

Hightail makes it easy for me to share large files and folders with people inside and outside my company. You can create "spaces" where all types of files can be stores, and links to this space can be shared with anyone.

Cons

Safari does not support folder uploads, but opening chrome and uploading folders to spaces that way made it simple. This was my only hangup with the service.

I'm not too crazy about Hightail

Hightail has some really awesome customer service. Other than that, I feel there are other cloud storage and file sharing applications that are more superior.

Pros

I like that you have a custom link through which your clients or anyone can upload large files to send to you. Likewise, you are able to send professional looking emails with links for your clients to download large files you send to them.

Cons

I was never really able to get the files I stored in the cloud to sync in my local computer drive, so I lost quite a bit of files. I found Hightail more pricier than it needs to be. They used to be great when they were YouSendIt, but once they merged with Hightail, I feel the quality of the product diminished a bit. I didn't like that they do not provide a file preview. So I have to download several photo files to find the picture I'm looking for.

Narrowing of Features and Declining Value

Pros

You can set up a linked folder on your machine that syncs with Hightail. Back in the day (prior to August, 2017) this formed an ideal platform for disseminating content as you could grab download links and include them in your own communications.

Cons

Hightail has recently adopted a typical self-focused millennial mindset of tunnel-visioned genius: focusing on an increasingly narrow range of cool stuff and killing off highly practical features without pausing to think about the spectrum of their users. If the HT people have a favorite way of working, they think that everyone works just like they do. As of the most recent downgrade, it is no longer...

Hightail is the Answer for Finicky Firewalls and Filesharing

Hightail has come to my rescue time and time again, when I'd get that dreaded "This file exceeds your email server's capacity restrictions" message. I highly recommend for any creative or marketer with filesharing needs. *please note-I have only used the filesharing aspect of this software

Pros

Hightail is literally the only software we've been able to use to file share with our very thick fire wall. We have tried countless other software solutions-all have either been blocked, were cost prohibitive or had size restrictions. I deal with our creative agency on a daily basis, sharing large files is a necessity, and Hightail is the best software I've found for it.

Cons

Nothing, I find it easy to use, there are no space restrictions, and my highly finicky firewall (that hates dropbox) is completely fine with it.

Good option for sharing large files

HighTail allows me to send large files efficiently to clients or suppliers. Since I deal with artwork design and production each and every day I really need an safe, fast and effective way to share files whether they be large proofs or final files for print/web production. HighTail generally suits my needs.

Pros

I like that I can share large files with my clients on a piece of software that lives on my computer rather than using an online service where I upload the file via a web browser. I feel it is a more secure process when using an app as opposed to using a service such as WeTransfer. I consider the free version to be a great tool that is less troublesome than dropbox.

Cons

While I consider the free version to be a great tool, I do believe that the paid version is a bit on the expensive side for my level of use. I consistently use HighTail, but not enough to justify a monthly subscription. If I run into limits on what I can upload for free, I will then move to another free alternative that has less restritive file size limits such as WeTransfer.

SO Much Easier than Dropbox

I send and receive audio files all the time and there is never a problem.

Pros

Its ease of use. Whether sending or receiving audio files there's never a problem.

Cons

Well, it would be nice if it were free....

Excellent next level file sharing app

Pros

I really like the control you can have over sharing files. Prior to hightail we would just share dropbox links but they were not secure nor could you tell if someone had downloaded a file. Hightail solves those problems.

Cons

There isn't much to not like. I wish the teams pricing was a little lower but it's more than fair given it's alternatives.

Great For Sharing Lots of Photos

Overall, easy to use, easy to share, and user friendly.

Pros

It was pretty easy to get started and you get a lot of features even with a free account. We used this to share photos from a large event. We could share the link with others and they didn't need an account to access or download.

Cons

The organization is a little weird, I'm still not entirely sure what all the features are on this site.

HighTail - Easiest way to share large files

Pros

I love that there is no restraint on storage capacity with Hightail. I can chose file of any size and share it will any number of recipients keeping a tab on who is doing what with my file. It also allows me to share a file with someone for a specific period of time. It also offer plugins so that it can be integrated within your email service so that one can share large files directly from within an email. Another feature which sets it apart from other cloud storage providers is that it also offers digital signature capability and one can read and sign the shared documents from within Hightail. So documents never leave Hightail servers and remain secure.

Cons

Hightail keeps the individual files encrypted all the time through it's sophisticated encryption technology but it doesn't allow me to generate my own encryption keys which would have made me feel more in control over my data. Customer support is also very delayed and I have faced multiple instances when the service was down.

Good if using paid plan

I use Hightail every week for delivering assets to clients. The storage side of Hightail is less appealing, in comparison to OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Drive. I would prefer to exclusively use Hightail for large file sending.

Pros

I really enjoy the simple and fast upload speeds for sending files, which seems to be much faster than other file sending services.

Cons

The file delivery limits make it challenging for sending video assets, which tend to be more than 25GB. Other services are just fine for sending a final deliverable, which are generally <1GB, but to pay a monthly service for file sending, I'd expect there to be an higher cap than 25GB for the Pro version.

Hightail - a business tool I can't live without.

I think I said this above having all my work in one place is huge for me. I can be tracking 2,3,4,...7 jobs at a time so I need a solution that helps me to keep it all straight and streamline the process. I get this with Hightail. Add in the fact that I can customize each space and there is the opportunity for collaboration right there in the space that's a time saver that I can't say enough about. When approvals need to happen asap this allows me to get the content there as quickly as possible and approved so we can move ahead. Hightail is one of those business tools I can't live without.

Pros

I love the ease of use for me. I'm a freelance Creative Director so it lets me customize content for my different clients per space while keeping in all in one accessible location for me. This helps me to streamline my process so it allows me to jump from job to job effortlessly. Also this allows me to share large files for immediate response and has the capabilities for there to be dialogue right there on the site again keeping all the content bundled in one easily accessible place.

Cons

I have had issues with clients not understanding what they are supposed to do with the invite or link. Also I've heard they are asked to download the software if this is their first visit and from one person I was told he ended up with a reoccurring charge after viewing the link. As I'm not personally encountering these issues but I've also been using Hightail for years I'm concerned about this client side of the equation. I'm mostly hearing this from non-tech savvy clients but they are clients that need to be managed is there a way to make this even simpler for them?

Modern Review & Approval, Finally!

1. Speed to Market – the ability to provide feedback and reviews within the Hightail platform, without downloading content brings final versions to frontline teams sooner and with greater quality than old review methods. 2. Ease of Use – from individual contributors, to SMEs, managers, directors and above, adoption has been easy, even when reviewers were not tech savvy, so approval requests don’t “bottleneck”...

Pros

A mobile-ready solution that makes it easy for peers, partners, stakeholders, and vendors to see work product all in one place. This centralized approach ensures everyone is offering feedback on the correct version of an asset, and seeing peers comments, which reduces redundancy, making the process faster. Assigning feedback to team members as an action item is great, and ensures people can work focus on what matters, in a prioritized manner. Approval flows, both linear and non-linear make it easy to get the feedback needed in a timely manner.

Cons

Adding new team members to a space, based on the formatting of the introductory email is NOT ideal. The level of confusion for new users on 'where to start' or 'how to login' required additional emails and communication to ensure a smooth onboarding process. This level of effort wasn't extreme, but is the opposite of easy and has lead to some initial perception hurdles based caused by the way people feel about the solution, based on the poorly formatted and confusing 'welcome' email.

Customer since 2008

I have been using this tool for 10 years, and have been an early subscriber since the days of yousendit It has changed branding a couple of times but it got better overtime. It is not the only cloud service I use, as I have Dropbox, Skydrive, Box and iCloud accounts. However, the main reason I stick with Hightail is the ability to control access to the files very easily and selectively. In other words,...

Pros

Unlimited Storage 25 GB file transfer Password protection Delivery receipts View activity Collaboration with others Set expiry date. Sync folders to desktop Express app Hightail Spaces Perfect tool for desktop collaboration.

Cons

Not intuitive on mobile devices. The tracking app on iPhone and iPad cannot be used to forward files sent earlier from Tracker app, where it used to be possible to do so in yousendit app (the prior brand/software) but hightail rewrote the API and disabled that functionality. While perfect on desktop, on mobile browsers the site does not format correctly within the window and text stays outside viewing area.

Hightail helps with transcontinental video documentary projects

Excellent, Hightail's an incredibly useful and wonderful video production convenience. I live in west Michigan and I've been privileged to film many concerts in San Jose, California during the past decade. The conductors I work with like to be able to review the editing of their concert videos. The availability of Hightail has proven to be an exceptionally fast and economical way to do that. In...

Pros

Convenience, ease of use, control of content distribution, statistical information about numbers of views and/or downloads.

Cons

On one recent occasion a choral concert music video file was uploaded and recipients found the audio and video were not in sync while using the "view" feature on Hightail. The video file could be downloaded successfully with the audio & video in sync. It was only while using the "view" feature that the audio and video were not in sync. The "sync" issue could have been due to the encoding by the server at Hightail or more likely is a problem that happens with uploading a video file in the Apple H.264 codec. Video files encoded by Apple Final Cut using the "Pro Res" codecs have not had audio-video synchronization problems. So we may have found one area where the Hightail file sharing software might need revision to handle H.264.

Reliable Media Sharing Platrom.

With hightail, we are using their service as a way to effectively deliver large media files to clients. Spaces are used for when we hire contractors, especially for overseas productions shoots. They are able to drop videos in to share with us. Overall our experience with HIghtail has been great!

Pros

We worked with Hightail when they were known as YouSendIt and stuck with them after they rebranded. Their uploading services have always been reliable, and their constant updates and new features have kept our creative studios' workflow current and created more efficiencies. (spaces, video commenting/feedback) The receipt that is sent to our main inbox everytime we send a file is also great in that we are able to track projects and give us the piece of mind that the file actually sent. The expiration option ensures that we don't overload our spaces.

Cons

Viewing videos using mobile via their app is not the greatest experience and could be better optimized. No true full screen and slightly clunky, but nothing that can't be easily worked around.

Stepping Up Provide for Customer Needs

I am teaching classes to students all around the world with Hightail, without ever leaving my desk. No TSA. No hotels. No airport delays. Just high efficiency and productivity.

Pros

When I need to be able to deliver a large file, whether graphic or media, HighTail delivers. Fast. Efficient. Handled. Period.

Cons

When I need to deliver a file to multiple clients, I cannot create a group. I must type in every last email every single time. I have better things to do with my time. There used to be a group option, just like there used to be folder options. I have called. I have written. I have been told "sorry, we can't do that" and "sorry, we don't offer that." Those are not the answers I want. As my clientele grows, Hightail is holding me back. These are simple requests. Either Hightail will prioritize them, or I will be forced to find someone who will. Hope you're listening this time…

Couldn't work globally without Hightail

I produce research-based thought leadership and content (NOT fake news...but content based on actual data from surveys or interviews with experts of groups of experts). Hightail provides an easy mechanism for me to store, distribute, share and catalog my material at all stages of the production journey. I can also get hold of files instantly in a client meeting, or at an aiport or hotel whilst travelling. I find it extremely helpful in maintaining productivity

Pros

Hightail makes it very easy for me to share and send very large files containing high quality graphics, video clips and text to my clients and associates around the world...and getting feedback and updates back quickly as well.

Cons

There are a lot of features and functions I haven't explored yet - so it's too early to criticise

USER FRIENDLY

With Hightail, I do not need to maintain a ftp site. Hightail is my ftp site.

Pros

I enjoy using the Hightail platform to send large files to clients and for clients to send large files to my firm. Art files for printing can be extremely large in size making email incompatible for sending. I can upload to Hightail and send in very short time to a client and they will get an email with a link to download. One of the benefits is the client can just download with out having to populate...

Cons

So far there is nothing that i have encountered that I do not like or interferes with my use.

Excellent Service

I am very happy with it and I have been using it for many years.

Pros

I run a transcription agency and my customers find it very easy to use my uplink, they like that it is a secure service. I like it because lately it has been a very stable platform to use in sending audio files to my colleagues. I also like that it that it shows a record of files having been sent and confirmation of receipt of files.

Cons

I dislike the black background of the website, it is not easy to see, especially on my monitor. It is also a bit muddled. It is difficult to do a search on files having been sent without scrolling down the page. They also used to send out alerts if they had a problem but this has now stopped.

I couldn't work without Hightail.

I have been very happy with Hightail and have used it for years. I also included the Uplink on my website so clients can upload large files to me.

Pros

Hightail is very easy to use and the recipient doesn't need to have permission or the software or anything else to get my files. It is also very easy for them to forward the email to someone else. This is very helpful when I send large files to my client for printing. They can just forward the email on to their printer.

Cons

There are occasional problem when clients upload files to Hightail - Uplink. I've had several clients complain that they aren't able to upload more than 7-8 jpgs at a time. It is very frustrating and they usually give up and use Google or Dropbox.

Hightail is superior

great

Pros

I can send large quantities of documents to my client and they do NOT have to sign up for a paid subscription. Super easy to use. I can also send my clients my link where they can easily upload to my account. I also love the easy of use seeing the history and being able to forward previously uploaded files to another person. I have tried dropbox (do not like much) and box (same...do not like much) and find hightail far superior.

Cons

Recently, I have heard feedback from first time hightail users that are my clients that when I send them a link, they are confused with the popups that make it seem like they have to set up an account. I have not verified this but if this is true, then that is definitely a minus.

The Best Non-High End Transfer Service

I transfer a lot of data per month, and need that data to be very secure. I can't justify the cost of something like Aspera in my small business, and after trying many other transfer services during a time when Hightail was going through some major growing pains realized that this is the best transfer service for what I'm trying to accomplish. There are still things that could be improved, but overall it's an excellent product and one I have recommended to clients many times over the nearly 9 years I've used the service.

Pros

I like that you can easily track files and that it tells you how long it's going to take for the upload to complete.

Cons

I cannot stand that you are not able to create paragraphs in messages that go along with what you're sending. I also slightly prefer the functionality of the old Hightail Express app to the Hightail Spaces app. Another bummer is that when someone comments on a video for feedback (when there are multiple video files in an upload) that you do not keep them all together. It sends a separate email for each one and is enormously time consuming to sift through volume projects if feedback is used in the app.

Hightail -- One of the better FTP Software Packages Available

Most of the FTP (file transfer protocol) programs that exist -- in my book as an industry professional, are an unnecessary expense for the client, because we already have easy-to-access FTP programs in place -- which for some reason, clients resist using, generally claiming difficulty in use. Nothing could be farther from the truth, and most paid FTP software programs strike me as being extraneous...

Pros

In terms of FTP software programs, it generally works effortlessly, and doesn't require getting around RR Donnelley's firewall in order to retrieve files.

Cons

It's not inexpensive to use, and if you're only using the free version to retrieve files, you get constantly bombarded with requests to buy a paid version.

My Review on Hightail

This software has allowed us to securely send large emails.It is easy to use and has a nice user friendly interface.

Pros

One thing that excites me the most about hightail is the security feature it has. With the tool one can protect the file from unwanted third party by having document password that are only accessible by the intended recipient. With the tool one is also able to track email from who, where and when the email was downloaded. Another thing that excites me is the ability to share large files. This is one of the key thing that made us purchase this tool. With it you are able to compress large document and send them easily. The other parties in the receiving end are also able to download it easily and fast.

Cons

I hate that the links shared expires very quickly. The support team is also not interactive.

The best investment I've made!

I am loyal to Hightail which says a lot. When I joined it was called You Send it and then Hightail and I guess there is a new name now. I will always call it Hightail. Its outstanding service. Thank you.

Pros

I love Hightail and have been a customer for a few years. The monthly rate is great and I hope and pray that you don't raise your prices. I have NO complaints. It's easy and its fast. Thank you Hightail!

Cons

Oh only one time the file I sent didn't make it to the recipient. Another time the desktop app didn't work. I got an error message and had to start over typing in the directions inside the text window. I called and I was helped by fantastic customer support and or tech support. Thank you.