Hightail Logo

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.97/10

Reviews by rating

Suggested alternatives

I like the solid reliability of the Hightail service. I also like the option of requesting delivery receipt.
Professional, reliable, stylish, good useful functionality and an affordable price as a freelance Photographer.
We use it weekly and it is really helpful for confidential files or files where we want to have some receipt they were downloaded by the user. It is especially helpful for legal documents.
That I have to pay to send more than one file. I get it but it is annoying at the same time.
Every other paid FTP program that exists out there (We Transfer, for example) seems to immediately trigger the firewall, which is an aggravating issue.
When the format changed, I had a bit of trouble figuring out how to send files.

ML

Marianne L.

Cheif Creative Guru & Experiential Evangelist

Design, self-employed

Hightail - a business tool I can't live without.

Transcript

Marianne L.: Hi, my name is Marianne. I'm an experiential designer and creative director. I love Hightail....

Joe M.

President and Board Member

Entertainment, 1-10 employees

Very Simple to use

Transcript

Joe M.: Hi, my name is Joe. I am a Vice President of New Product Development in the digital signage retail...

MS

Michael S.

Media Production, self-employed

Dependable and fast way to deliver files.

I used Hightail to send video files and various digital assets back and forth for clients and between a creative team.

Pros

Fast. Easy to Use. Dependable. Works well for multiple files or one. Option to archive files.

Cons

Nothing. It is a great tool and one of the best ways to share files.

Telecommunications, 10,001+ employees

Modern Review & Approval, Finally!

1. Speed to Market – the ability to provide feedback and reviews within the Hightail platform, without downloading content brings final versions to frontline teams sooner and with greater quality than old review methods. 2. Ease of Use – from individual contributors, to SMEs, managers, directors and above, adoption has been easy, even when reviewers were not tech savvy, so approval requests don’t “bottleneck”...

Pros

A mobile-ready solution that makes it easy for peers, partners, stakeholders, and vendors to see work product all in one place. This centralized approach ensures everyone is offering feedback on the correct version of an asset, and seeing peers comments, which reduces redundancy, making the process faster. Assigning feedback to team members as an action item is great, and ensures people can work focus on what matters, in a prioritized manner. Approval flows, both linear and non-linear make it easy to get the feedback needed in a timely manner.

Cons

Adding new team members to a space, based on the formatting of the introductory email is NOT ideal. The level of confusion for new users on 'where to start' or 'how to login' required additional emails and communication to ensure a smooth onboarding process. This level of effort wasn't extreme, but is the opposite of easy and has lead to some initial perception hurdles based caused by the way people feel about the solution, based on the poorly formatted and confusing 'welcome' email.

Customer service awful! Many user features no longer in use. Constantly in decline.

Pros

The ability to easily and quickly send files.

Cons

-Customer service and tech help is AWFUL! -Website is black with dark lettering and almost impossible to see. -Ability to stream in addition to download is intermittent. Usually it is download only for the files sent. -Ability to write a message in the message box that appears in the email sent without clicking on the link has disappeared. I have been trying to find out why and have this fixed...

Dairy, 501-1,000 employees

Hightail is the Answer for Finicky Firewalls and Filesharing

Hightail has come to my rescue time and time again, when I'd get that dreaded "This file exceeds your email server's capacity restrictions" message. I highly recommend for any creative or marketer with filesharing needs. *please note-I have only used the filesharing aspect of this software

Pros

Hightail is literally the only software we've been able to use to file share with our very thick fire wall. We have tried countless other software solutions-all have either been blocked, were cost prohibitive or had size restrictions. I deal with our creative agency on a daily basis, sharing large files is a necessity, and Hightail is the best software I've found for it.

Cons

Nothing, I find it easy to use, there are no space restrictions, and my highly finicky firewall (that hates dropbox) is completely fine with it.

Market Research, 51-200 employees

Great look for client access!

Overall Hightail has been a tremendous asset. The ability to share large files easily in a beautiful way has helped me land and serve several leading clients. I highly recommend the service!

Pros

Hightail is perfect if you need to share large files in a visually appealing format to valued clients. I often use Hightail during the sales and project management stages of a relationship and it is very easy for the client to collaborate and share the files internally and externally.

Cons

There are some minor glitches every few months that cause loading issues. The default format for knowledge management is not easily usable by teams.

Graphic Design, 1-10 employees

Sticking with it

I'm a graphic designer and it has helped facilitate getting large files to my clients.

Pros

I love Hightail. It is easy to use and allows me to send large files which are very important. One of the best features, is although it is coming from Hightail, people always know it's from me and I like the flexibility of how long my files are saved. It also is incredibly easy for my staff to use, which is always a plus.

Cons

When the platform first changed, I had a hard time figuring out how to send a file. I constantly got screens that were unfamiliar and couldn't find easily how to create a new email but it's simple and clean now. No strange screens.

Maria R.

Design, self-employed

Review Hightail

I have a small design studio and I like the Spaces feature the most. I like the way I can upload and share with the team. I like they can access it whenever they want after the original invite. It has saved me time since they can access it anytime and download what they need without having to ask me for it. Nice.

Pros

I needed a place to store all of my files. Most desktop external hard drives fail and my information is lost. So, Hightail Folders have been a good place to store my large files and are accessible from anywhere. Spaces has been nice to use and organize my work. I like the ability of sharing these files with my clients to get feedback. I like they can access the files and download them when they need them.

Cons

Moving files from one folder to another isn't perfect. I have had problems with this and have worked around it. But, I wish there was a more user friendly way of just dropping and dragging from folder to folder instead of having to go through a menu of tasks to do it.

Higher Education, 51-200 employees

Quick and Easy

Pros

I use this software at least a few times a week. Large files are sometimes a pain to send through email; Hightail makes this whole process quick, easy, and efficient. I can grab the link after I have sent files over to someone's email, I can request a download receipt, I can make certain files password protected, and I can even have some Hightail files expire if needed. I've never spent more than 5 minutes prepping to send out a Hightail file.

Cons

The download time is sometimes long depending on the file sizes and internet speed you are working with. I have waited a few hours sometimes for downloads. This is the only place I wish could be improved.

Architecture & Planning, 51-200 employees

Simple Online File Storage and Collaboration

Pros

Makes uploading documents simple and efficient. Elegant UI that can be customized to suit the organizations specific use case. Simplifies the downloading process for users in other organizations.

Cons

Limited customization of interface compared to other solutions.

Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees

Everything you need when sharing files

Pros

That you can define expiry dates and access credentials. It allows to transfer a large amount of files. It allows teams to create shared spaces to share files.

Cons

Nothing to comment. Everything is great :)

SS

Steven S.

Media Production, self-employed

Hightail helps with transcontinental video documentary projects

Excellent, Hightail's an incredibly useful and wonderful video production convenience. I live in west Michigan and I've been privileged to film many concerts in San Jose, California during the past decade. The conductors I work with like to be able to review the editing of their concert videos. The availability of Hightail has proven to be an exceptionally fast and economical way to do that. In...

Pros

Convenience, ease of use, control of content distribution, statistical information about numbers of views and/or downloads.

Cons

On one recent occasion a choral concert music video file was uploaded and recipients found the audio and video were not in sync while using the "view" feature on Hightail. The video file could be downloaded successfully with the audio & video in sync. It was only while using the "view" feature that the audio and video were not in sync. The "sync" issue could have been due to the encoding by the server at Hightail or more likely is a problem that happens with uploading a video file in the Apple H.264 codec. Video files encoded by Apple Final Cut using the "Pro Res" codecs have not had audio-video synchronization problems. So we may have found one area where the Hightail file sharing software might need revision to handle H.264.

CB

Craig B.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Couldn't work globally without Hightail

I produce research-based thought leadership and content (NOT fake news...but content based on actual data from surveys or interviews with experts of groups of experts). Hightail provides an easy mechanism for me to store, distribute, share and catalog my material at all stages of the production journey. I can also get hold of files instantly in a client meeting, or at an aiport or hotel whilst travelling. I find it extremely helpful in maintaining productivity

Pros

Hightail makes it very easy for me to share and send very large files containing high quality graphics, video clips and text to my clients and associates around the world...and getting feedback and updates back quickly as well.

Cons

There are a lot of features and functions I haven't explored yet - so it's too early to criticise

RI

Robin I.

Graphic Design, self-employed

I couldn't work without Hightail.

I have been very happy with Hightail and have used it for years. I also included the Uplink on my website so clients can upload large files to me.

Pros

Hightail is very easy to use and the recipient doesn't need to have permission or the software or anything else to get my files. It is also very easy for them to forward the email to someone else. This is very helpful when I send large files to my client for printing. They can just forward the email on to their printer.

Cons

There are occasional problem when clients upload files to Hightail - Uplink. I've had several clients complain that they aren't able to upload more than 7-8 jpgs at a time. It is very frustrating and they usually give up and use Google or Dropbox.

MS

Monnica S.

Religious Institutions, self-employed

The best investment I've made!

I am loyal to Hightail which says a lot. When I joined it was called You Send it and then Hightail and I guess there is a new name now. I will always call it Hightail. Its outstanding service. Thank you.

Pros

I love Hightail and have been a customer for a few years. The monthly rate is great and I hope and pray that you don't raise your prices. I have NO complaints. It's easy and its fast. Thank you Hightail!

Cons

Oh only one time the file I sent didn't make it to the recipient. Another time the desktop app didn't work. I got an error message and had to start over typing in the directions inside the text window. I called and I was helped by fantastic customer support and or tech support. Thank you.

RE

Rita E.

Accounting, self-employed

Hightail Spaces are lost in space

I really liked Hightail before they started messing with a great product that included an Outlook add on tool. So easy to securely share files. Now file sharing requires logging into hightail. My customers complained that they were prompted to set up a Hightail account before they could access shared files.

Pros

Hightail has a very user friendly uplink portal. And it is very reasonably priced software for a small business.

Cons

Started with "yousendit" originally and then the file sharing company reinvented itself with a name change that had no identification related to file sharing. Also, Hightail had a great Outlook add on tool that they abandoned out of the blue.

JG

Jason G.

Photography, 1-10 employees

Great service

I send images daily and j have photographers who work for me send me images. But I'd my customers are not happy I'm not happy. They need to ba able to download the images quickly and easily without signing up for anything.

Pros

Asa professional photographer I rely on sending images to customers your service has been great.

Cons

A significant number if customers have difficulty downloading the images. They dont want to sign up for anything they just want to see their images. Sending large files is still awkward and takes a long time to download.

Nick O.

Broadcast Media, self-employed

Hightail Makes My Life Easier!

I am always sending large files to numerous clients every workday, and Hightail makes it easy to do.

Pros

With but a few (and I do mean very few) instances, Hightail has worked exceptionally well for me and my needs to transfer numerous large files frequently. Reliable, easy to use, and affordable, Hightail is my choice over all the other available services.

Cons

In the 12 plus years I have used Hightail (and it predecessor, yousendit) I really can't think of any, offhand.

JB

Jerry B.

Photography, 1-10 employees

Best at what they do.

I'm a professional photographer and deliver thousands of high resolution photos a month and this would not be possible without this type of quality service.

Pros

Have tried other similar products but none meet the standards set by HighTail. My clients always know they will receive there files online and know they are safely stored. Have been a customer of theirs for over 10 years so I must like the company.

Cons

As a customer for over 10 years I have found no Cons.

CW

Christopher W.

Media Production, 1-10 employees

The Only Way To Transfer Large Files

My clients love Hightail large file transfer, too. They appreciate the manner in which the notifications come to them, and the ease with which they can access and download the large files I send to them. They also love the simple method for sending files to me, utilizing my uplink. I appreciate the Hightail service so much!

Pros

I had been using YouSendIt for years, and have stuck with the company through the re-branding to Hightail, and the acquisition by OpenText. I've tried other collaborative large file transfer services, but have always either found inadequacies of design, reliability issues, and poor support. Hightail is it for me! I will go nowhere else.

Cons

After the most recent redesign of the website, I have had no issues, and can't list any "cons" about the Hightail service, as used by me.

TU

Thad U.

E-Learning, 11-50 employees

Overall great feature set, could do with some functionality tweaking

I manage the content for an educational video publisher, often delivering orders as well as managing videos to be uploaded onto the site. Hightail makes it easy to do everything I need to do in one place, as well as looking professional (more so than a wetransfer link in my opinion) when delivering orders.

Pros

- The ability to send large quantities of content - The ability for people to deliver large amounts of material to me without having to create an account - The ability to collaborate with remoters on creative projects

Cons

- Sometimes deliveries fail with no warning (the upload will stop at a certain 'time remaining') and I'll have to redo it. This means I have to remember exactly what was in the last batch etc. - You can't filter your received files by anything (date, user, type etc.) - You can't filter your sent items by the same. - Sometimes downloading large numbers of files at once doesn't work (maybe that's just an unzipping problem on my end?) - Sometimes people sending content via our uplink get confused and cannot access it, or try and create an account. Perhaps confusing user flow?

VR

Vivian R.

Design, 11-50 employees

Hightail

A great platform to send large files and give access to clients and other team members.

Pros

This product is very user friendly. Easy to access stored data and reference what has been processed for future reference.

Cons

Expired links are not available for reference to the owner / sender causing me to keep things on the active list longer than I would like the client to have access.

PF

Peggy F.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

Hightail Review

I have been using/working with Hightail since it was YouSendIt many years ago. I have enjoyed the ability to send large files (I do graphic design & video creation) to clients. Have not had a need to contact customer support (that I can remember). Affordable tool for my business.

Pros

Ease of use when sending large files to clients Like the email notification when someone downloads a file Like that you can view a file before downloading Drag and drop large files to send quickly

Cons

Not a fan of email component - no formatting to email Clients are sometimes confused on if they need to create a login to download files I send them Does not integrate with my Outlook email program - need to send followup email to clients to notify another email with download links will follow

CC

Chris C.

Design, 1-10 employees

10/10

It is simply a lifesaving tool, in business terms and great for both internal and client collaboration I am proud to have been a user since the early days, and love customizing each portal that I create, and then providing a personalised link to both my team and clients alike

Pros

I have been a user for ten years, and it is so very intuitive

Cons

Trying to change my email address, as a username (not easy)

RT

Ryan T.

Hospitality, 201-500 employees

Hightail all the way

A great tool for our business to share very large artwork files

Pros

Best program for file sharing - easy to upload and share.

Cons

Amending files in spaces - not able to amend one file

DH

Dawn H.

Construction, 1-10 employees

Until today it was all 10s

until today it phenomenal. But now that it's not working and I can't reach anyone I'm really frustrated

Pros

That it worked and I could use it and I trusted the program.

Cons

That today it quit working and I can't get help by phone or email. Only this feedback link. I can't even get anyone to take my money.