Smallpdf Reviews

Smallpdf

PDF document management and conversion suite

4.78/5 (187 reviews)

Pros
  • It was very easy and when I wanted to print the document the people in the Printing facility told me that it was a very good converted PDF file with great black and color recognition.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
  • I cannot say enough good things about this tool. What I love the most is the versatility of formats into which I can convert PDS (excel, word, powerpoint), more than other similar programs.Angela C.Read the full review
  • I often run into the issue of my pdfs being too large because they are graphically heavy. Smallpdf is great because it can shrink them but still keep the same quality in my graphics.Courtney B.Read the full review
Cons
  • The only thing that I am worried about is security. I am not sure if my documents will be stored on the website and can been seen by someone else.Sandra L.Read the full review
  • The batch feature IS cool, but a lot of the time at least one file will fail. But even with the failed files it is still faster than most other methods of converting.karl h.Read the full review
  • In some cases the file compression can be a little overbearing and it can cause photos to look grainy or blurry, but this generally only happens with very high DPI images.Zach P.Read the full review
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Jenny McWilliam

I LOVE smallpdf! What a great tool for pdf users.

Reviewed 2018-02-24

This is a great suite of products that makes document management so easy.

Pros
This software is SO quick and easy to use online. I produce a lot of pdf's for work that need to be emailed out. By compressing the pdf's through smallpdf, they are smaller and faster to send. It uses a simple drag and drop interface and then can be downloaded for distribution. Documents can be uploaded from your pc, but also Dropbox and Google Drive. A graphic designer I know did not believe that the compression tool would keep the quality and he was very pleasantly surprised when he saw that the quality of his document was not affected. The software is not limited to just compressing pdfs, but has the capacity to convert other document formats into pdfs and do other pdf functions like merging pdfs and signing them. As well as compressing, Smallpdf can convert from pdfs into Word, Excel, Powerpoint and jpeg. The converted documents are quite respectable and editable; better than any other software I have used in the past. We use the free version but the price of the pro version is relatively small and worth considering.

Cons
The free version only allows for 2 compression uses per hour. This is the same for other functions. It is workable, though.

Matija Percic

Convert a document to pdf....no problem

Reviewed 2020-01-20

Iam a student and often I need to write and send my documents to my university, but the document should be in PDF format. So Smallpdf is the best solution for it. I recommend it to everybody.

Pros
The Website is really easy to use, it really does its job, I don't want to pay Microsoft Office for the option for converting docx to pdf, and I found this solution, I use the website every week and never had any issue.

Cons
Sometimes it takes too long time to convert a document.

Nesrin Herrmann

Hatte einiges getestet

Reviewed 2020-05-04

Ich war vom Support mega überrascht. Habe selten so ein schnelles feedback bekommen, zudem flexibel und human. TOP. Die Seite funktioniert super praktisch und unkompliziert. Habe wirklich einiges verglichen vorher - auch die teure Konkurrenz von Adobe endgeldlich getestet, fand aber das Preis-Leistungsverhältnis bei small pdf weitaus besser. Viele Anbieter sehe ich als beabsichtigt einschränkend, für jeden pups muss man zusätzlich was buchen. Verstehe dass Geschäfte so funktionieren, dennoch bin ich persönlich ein Freund von nachhaltigem Miteinander. Dieser Eindruck geht nunmal ein niemandem vorbei. Small pdf fand ich im Angebot Allüren-los was ich wirklich sehr erfrischend finde in der heutigen Zeit. Bitte entwickelt euch mit der selben Haltung weiter! Ich komme beim nächsten Projekt sicher wieder auf den Service zurück.

Pros
Super unkompliziert gestaltet. Oberfläche versteht wirklich jeder und es gab keine Funktion, welche ich vermisst hätte.

Cons
Bei mir hat alles gut funktioniert und ich hatte keine Störungen. Die Unterschriftfunktion ist super, die Unterschriften könnten dennoch etwas zierlicher oder feiner sein - gerade bei wichtigen Dokumenten empfehlenswert.

Document converting with small PDF

Reviewed 2019-01-15

Good to convert any kind of document to PDF or PDF to any kind of other document.It takes very little time to convert those documents and It's my choice when i need to convert any kind of document to PDF

Pros
This is very much helpful to convert any type of document in to pdf within seconds. It gives very clear user experience and anyone can do their document converting tasks using this website or chrome extension.

Cons
When I goes to convert PDF to word it convert the font style of the PDF into another type of font styles in some places.

Maciej Nowak

Great for those working with documents

Reviewed 2020-02-15

I work with documents - I scan, merge, split convert and send PDFs. The compression feature was the one Smallpdf started with. It is great when you send many documents byemail. Now you can do so much more in this app.

Pros
There are no other solutions that allow you to fiddle with PDFs in a way Smallpdf does, especially in this price range. First they were web-only, now Smallpdf can integrate with your Windows shell and work with your documents in explorer.

Cons
The features it offers are great for the price, the windows app is constantly under development but it works well.

Michael Albright

Excellent Alternative!

Reviewed 2019-12-05

This is a suitable and viable alternative to Adobe. It offers a range of functionality at a reasonable cost and a high level of efficiency--as long as one can look beyond the primitive interface.

Pros
SmallPDF provides users with exceptional levels of functionality and speed if the Adobe client is not available or purchased. It offers a range of conversions and compression possibilities.

Cons
SmallPDF does have some aesthetic drawbacks, as it appears to be a bit primitive. It also requires quite a bit of dragging, dropping, and clicking to accomplish tasks.

Shirley "Sokes" Yoon

Life and time saver

Reviewed 2019-12-25

An indispensable tool that I use daily to compress and attached PDFs to emails. Other similar PDF compression tools can't even come close to how excellent Smallpdf. Use this tool now!!

Pros
Smallpdf is an incredible easy to use tool that no one should be without. An absolute essential if you work with PDFs. Drag and drop and watch large sized PDFs magically compress to a fraction of its original size. There's no other PDF converting software that's as simple, safe and easy to use at Smallpdf. The Chrome widget is another great feature, though the most useful is the Gmail integration.

Cons
All good things need to come to some type of end, what was once a free tool now requires a subscription, thought it's money well spent.

Kelsey Howard

Great File Editing Software

Reviewed 2020-05-05

Overall my experience with the software has been great - I mostly use it to reduce the file size of my PDFs.

Pros
Smallpdf is a fantastic, easy to use software. Working in design, my files tend to be incredibly large. Smallpdf allows me to do all sorts of manipulations to my files after just dragging and dropping onto their site.

Cons
It used to be free and you just didn't have as many options with the free version. Now you have to pay to use the software at all so I think that's not great - even SketchUp has a free version.

Kristine Torcuator

Awesome Software!!!!

Reviewed 2020-02-05

My overall experience with SmallPDF is definitely positive! It’s such a great tool to use when working with PDFs.

Pros
The thing I like the most about the SmallPDF website/software is that they offer so many features for the customer, such as compressing PDFs, converting PDFs, and so much more.

Cons
The thing I like least about the SmallPDF website/software is that they limit your conversions to a specific amount within a specific timeframe.

Carlos Guzmán Ruiz

Convenient and useful converter

Reviewed 2020-02-12

I got many costumers that send me a PDF instead of the original file, this converter saves me A LOT of time.

Pros
I use small PDF almost on a daily basis, i like its versatility of being an online converter and an app, that way i can access anywhere from any device (that's not mine) where i need it, without the need to download it.

Cons
Nothing to like the least about Small PDF, yes it has a premium version that offers unlimited conversions daily (the free version only gives you 2-3 max daily), so i would encourage anyone to purchase the full version or the free-trial to start and compare.

Eric Eduardo Weichhart

The greatest PDF tool software out there.

Reviewed 2018-09-25

Smallpdf has been a handy tool to convert Microsoft Office files to PDF, as the current export option highly reduces image quality, and to compress files that are quite heavy. My company publish a monthly catalog which is usually two or three heavy files, where I need to not just join these files but also heavily compress them and Smallpdf does it perfecly.

Pros
Smallpdf is a complete solution for PDF files, being the most popular one the possibility to convert these to Microsoft Office files or images (and vice versa). They also offer some editing tools, such as being able to merge or split different files, rotate them and even signing or unlocking files. Also, the compress tool is shockingly effective, reducing some files sizes by 90% with a barely noticeable loss on quality. They also offer a desktop solution that is completely offline, being a lot cheaper than other tools in the market.

Cons
The only negative aspect I can think of is the lack of prepaid options. While it is possible to do two operations each hour for free, I can't justify paying a monthly fee when I may only need to convert no more than ten files weekly.

Shoaib Shabbir

Do what you desire to any document!

Reviewed 2019-06-18

Apart from the arabic text issue, which i find alternative ways to get done. Smallpdf has never disappointed regardless of the task, whether it be converting word to pdf, or vice versa, jpeg to pdf or vice versa, merging pdfs or compressing. It does a great job with just a few clicks.

Pros
Over the years they have made smallpdf more easier to use. With the recent update to the website, the look and feel of the website is great. Everything is well categorized and the best thing is the drag and drop feature. I mostly use the PDF conversion tools and the PDF compression tools. Any document related issue, smallPDF is my go to website

Cons
When converting documents with different language, Arabic in my case, small pdf messes up the whole document. The text doesnt make sense, the alignment is all off.

Zoyree Estefania Lozada Montilla

Definetly one of the best PDF software I have ever used

Reviewed 2018-08-27

Small pdf is significantly cheaper than it's competitors and offers a quality product that is second to none, it is an incredible tool and has been amazing every since we started using it. I truly recommend it.

Pros
Ever since I used the free version in small pdf website I was convinced that this was one of the best pdf softwares available and I was totally right, it has every possible tools and gadgets for pdf editing and it is incredibly easy, its conversions are top notch and most of all it is really fast for pdf reading.

Cons
Something I really don't like about smallpdf is how limited the free version is on its website, you can convert only two files an hour, it almost convinced me not to buy it (but thanks god I did)

Oriana Veruska Garcia Infante

Best PDF software I have ever used

Reviewed 2018-08-27

I can't tell you enough how much I love this software, it has truly been a gamechanger for me, even for someone who doesn't want to pay for the software (even though is really cheap) its free version is amazing for pdf reading.

Pros
SmallPDF is the best pdf software ever, it is extremely easy to use for pdf converting or editing, it comes with every tool you might possibly need for working with pdfs and best of all at a really reasonable price, it is the whole package.

Cons
The only issue I might have with smallpdf (but that I really understand) is the fact that when working with large files the conversion process can take a long time. Also opening the software can take a longer time than with other ones.

Pamela Crenshaw

SmallPDF is one of the best tools we have ever discovered. We use it daily. It is great!

Reviewed 2018-03-26

Pros
There are so many functions. We can convert Word, Excel, Powerpoint and JPG files to PDF and convert a PDF file to those formats. We mostly use SmallPDF to compress files. This is a great help when storage space is limited in some of the apps we use. We can also split, edit, rotate and eSign a PDF file.

Cons
I love everything about this tool, but there is one thing I would like to change. If a file is the smallest size after merging or converting and then compressing the file, we receive a message stating that the file cannot be compressed to a smaller size but we are not given the option to download the merged or converted file.

george wilson

compress your PDF files to the maximum

Reviewed 2018-11-15

smallpdf I met him in a casual way once I was doing postgraduate studies. On that occasion I did a job in pdf which contained images I weigh a lot more than allowed to attach to my mail, and looking in several forums to get to smalpdf and really was an incredible utility as it decreased the weight to half and still it looked very good. Truly one of the best tools to reduce the weight of pdf files.

Pros
smallpdf is practically the same as the other similar programs that exist of this type, performs the same processes and in the same way being very easy to use (and with a very friendly environment), giving the options of cutting and pasting pdf, converting files pdf to other formats (word, excel. ppt jpeg), as well as to transform the files to pdf, number pages and in itself, all the same functions that the other programs have. However, it has a great advantage, and that is that the processing done to reduce the weight of the pdf files is really very good, since not only does this decrease, but it also maintains the resolution of the file as much as possible.

Cons
it does not have anything in particular that needs to improve or that it is a disgrace compared to other similar programs.

Bernardo Silva

The Substitute that shows its better than the main one

Reviewed 2019-07-18

I have a great experience and recommed for anyone searching for a PDF solution.

Pros
Small PDF shows that, even been free, you can have a good quality software. And the best part is: Its online! although the online software have some problems with too much ads, the software compensates by not charging anything for most of the functions. 99% of the things you have to do daily, Small PDF can solve for free. The best part is, for what this software does for free and with high quality, Adobe charges a LOT.

Cons
Too much ads on the online plataform. Sometimes the online processing of the PDF takes too long.

Kristina Bostick

The pdf solution you've been missing plus its web-based and freemium

Reviewed 2018-06-13

Quick , easy, flexible and freemium. If you are dealing with pdfs this is your solution.

Pros
SmalPdf is my secret weapon. No one in my office knows how to change file types - they ask me to do it, I go to Small pdf and in minutes it is done. It is very user-friendly, always faithful conversions. It is especially useful when you get an online pdf form that you are expected to print-fill in by hand-scan-send - nope, no one has time for that. Just turn it into a word doc with smallpdf, type your answers, save it as a pdf and email- done! They take so many file types - xcel,PPT, Word, Jpeg, you can merge, split - it can do anything. I have a good print to pdf program but still prefer to use this one

Cons
I do not have a paid account although if I needed to convert lots of files it would be totally worth it. The 2 doc per hour max works for me but not for others - I say, pay for it if it bugs you.

Chiranjib Saha

Frequent user for homeworks

Reviewed 2019-01-29

Overall, I used to be a regular user of smallpdf. Now, there are other easy-to-use apps to get these jobs done. I am not sure whether they have app of smallpdf.

Pros
The best thing about smallpdf is that the interface is neat and tidy. I have mostly used it for converting jpg images to pdf and merging pdfs. Unlike the other web-based services, their website is pretty clean. I would give some points to the aesthetics of the website too :-) ! Apart from that, it gets the essential jobs done. Few minutes left before the deadline of homework? Just take pictures using phone, send 'em to laptop and drag and drop the images to smallpdf. Saved me many times.

Cons
The paid version does not really make much sense to me after the release of the free mobile apps from adobe like adobe reader DC and adobe sign. Especially after adobe scan was released, it really solved the problems of taking pictures, merging and creating a pdf document in a more integrated way. These apps have recently substituted smallpdf because they are more accessible from my phone and tablet.

Mario Teran Teran

Edit and compress PDF files in three steps

Reviewed 2018-02-28

Compressed and edit PDF files in a very easy way and without download a program or app.

Pros
The capability to edit text, add and modify images and forms, draw and add specific features in a PDF file, all this is done easily, you just select the option, add the files, edit what you need, and download the files, a very easy process. SmallPDF also brings the opportunity to compress files, which is a great feature for huge files like books or file with a lot of images, that you want to save for you or share, the process is the same, and a few seconds you your file compress in your computer.

Cons
I think that they must add more options to edit, the ones that exist are very simple, maybe they can add the option of make personal stickers and more option of figures to add, and also the possibility to add and modify tables.

Converting Document into PDF Made Easy

Reviewed 2019-04-09

Did I mention that the merge PDF has no file limit - this is the best thing to ever happen to me!

Pros
1. That I can upload a document and click convert and before I know it I have a pdf document staring at me. 2. Allows a user to perform more than one task: Convert PDF to word and Word to PDF, compress and merge several documents, and convert JPG to PDF and back

Cons
1. When converting a file from word to PDf the name usually changes, it would be great if they maintained the original name of the document.

marie wilson

the best PDF compressor.

Used occasionally for 6-12 months
Reviewed 2019-03-06

In general, I used smallpdf when I had to create pdf files from scanned images or files, since it was the only easiest and fastest way to do this process. In addition, it used the comprehension function to reduce the weight of the files, since when containing images they were very large for the intranet of the company that worked previously, and when compressing with smallpdf the files turned out to be half the size and with a image quality similar to the original.

Pros
1.- Online application that does not require any type of installation. 2.- Its PDF file compression system is very good, managing to reduce the size of the files without losing quality. 3.- You have multiple options that allow you to work with PDF files, among the options you can; cut and paste files, rotate, add signature and the possibility of converting your pdf files to different format of office (word, ppt, excel). 4.- It also has a tool that allows you to create PDF files from xon files, word, ppt, jpeg and excel extension.

Cons
1.- Perhaps the only problem is that to be able to use smallpdf you must always have access to the internet since it can only be used through a browser, which is somewhat inconvenient when you are traveling and you can not connect to an internet network.

Mukul Chaturvedi

All your PDF needs solved with one interface!

Reviewed 2019-02-28

Pros
1. Ever since i started using small pdf i don't think so i have ever used any other site for any pdf related needs. Also, it has a large number of tools which take cares of all your pdf needs. 2. More than 15+ tools to compress, edit, merge, split and convert pdfs. 3. Integration with google drive and Dropbox makes it easier to find your cloud documents. 4. You can also sign your documents with your esignature.

Cons
1. I dont think so there's any demerits just that in free version you can only do 2 compressions per hour. 2. Annoying is that it doesn't have any prepaid options available for premium functions.

JOEL DE JESUS RAMIREZ LOBO

Transform excel to pdf and vice versa

Reviewed 2018-03-21

Great app to work with Excel and PDF files.

Pros
This app is always my first choice to transform the tables, sheets and graphics that I use in Excel to PDF format, because the process is quick, clean and the result is great, and it does not have any problem with the large files.

Cons
I do not have any complain, for me works great and the process is quick and with high quality, and I had use the app for long time ago and it has been always great.

PDF tool

Reviewed 2019-10-10

During exam periods, converting exam notes to the pdf file, merging presentations together and later on converting them to pdf and compressing is really needed for me, and with the help of that app, I can sort out all these tasks quickly, that's why I love that app.

Pros
The program is so quick and easy to use, and everything is possible with files, for example, people can save their other kind of documents as pdf, also convert, compress, merge, split options are available for the users. And my 2 favorite options in this app, are converting and compressing, during exam periods or applying for the universities that app helped me a lot in the documentation issues.

Cons
I can say only negative side of the program is giving 2 free operations in an hour, it's better to increase that number for not being complex to the users.