athenaOne Reviews - Page 2

athenaOne means success in healthcare delivery

Pros

A trusted partner that helps us both our clinical and business model so we can successfully care for our pediatric patients and keep our doors open. I like the model that they don't make money unless we do so they just don't sell us software and forget about us and the needs of our practice. Having them constantly monitoring the healthcare environment, researching and developing products and tools means we stay on the cutting edge and can survive no matter what is sent our way by insurers, contracts, regulators and government.

Cons

Hard to answer this question because there is very little we don't like. Sure do we wish they would provide us with more developmental scored screens on the portal and help us to become even more paperless. It is not a doc in a box and the user needs to be engaged and collaborate with athenahealth to utilize and optimize the product. I don't see this as a negative. Athenahealth is growing at 30% per year and we need them to keep their pulse on the not losing the service model and support they have built their co-sourcing model on. Healthcare management has gotten more complicated and cumbersome and bridging the gap with what Athena has to offer and what practices need is a must.

I LOVE IT!

We've been using Athenahealth since 10/2010. The first year of transition took some preparation each evening before seeing the next day of patients BUT entering the notes was my pre-visit preparation and I really got to know my patients! We designed our templates, I write and use templated notes for results - my patients get their results within hours after I receive them, and their PCP gets a copy...

Pros

It is designed for me. Information is at my fingertips and I can personalize each visit just as I did with paper. No filing, no searching. Very helpful have Epocrates built into the Rx field. I've never had an issue with support not addressing my issue.

Cons

If you don't type, you won't appreciate any EMR - I take advantage of HPI, notes and Assessment fields to write/type the same note I would write in the past. (Now it's legible.) Miss having Up To Date coordinated with the chart. The system has been "out" only once in our experience - fortunately, Athena was very responsive and we were running again before we found pen/paper.

Amazing ease of use for providers.

EMRs are dinosaurs and no other industry would accept the dysfunction that we do (because CMS forces us to). Athena updated in May 2016 and now it is even more functional. I have a solo practice. I have ADD and scanning up and down the page to add details was exhausting. Now the sections (Review/HPI/ROS/PE/A&P) are at the top and I can go back and forth easily. If the patient gives me more details...

Pros

Ease of completing progress notes. Really really easy referrals. Accessibility of lab and imaging results. Consult notes not lost. Nothing lost. Confirmations by the system. Eligibility checked repeatedly. They have an interface with all the labs already so you don't have to pay to reinvent the wheel.

Cons

I hate the letter format and cannot get it fixed. The financial piece promised much more than it actually does.

EHR for Doctors Office

We really have not had any issues on the EHR side with Athena. I have run into some issues on the billing side and processing of payments, etc.

Pros

The implementation was easy to set-up. Athena was a big help in creating forms and letters. The tempplates are easy to set-up and modify as well. Once the forms have been created you can also make changes to them as well. The order of the check-in through check-out process is set-up in a way that is easy to navigate and goes in order of how you treat your patient. The best part is that Athena takes care of the MIPS, MACRA, etc data that is needed for Medicare without adding additional work for the staff. I like the fact that there are less documents that require scanning, since all of our faxes go directly into the system and are attached directly to the patient's record. The reporting options are also very good with this system.

Cons

I really don't dislike anything about the software, other than it would be nice to track letters that are sent to the patients. So you can print off collection letters or follow-up letters and it would automatically record that a letter went to the patient, without you having to make a notation.

Look at all EMR/EHR options

We have been with Athena now for about 5 years. This is the first and only EMR I or my staff have experience with so we have nothing to compare it to. As with anything, Athena has its pros and cons. When you call customer service, hold times are typically short and you speak to helpful people. When we first started, and up until recently, Athena was very easy to use, intuitive, and everything was at...

Pros

Pleasant customer service reps Athena will submit claims

Cons

Time consuming Posting team makes many errors Not user friendly Charting is very difficult Intake is time consuming

The Best EHR, but can be even better

Pros

- SO easy to use - Has excellent and easily accessible customer support - Has a system to "vote" for new ideas and improvements from users - Maximizes workflow and efficiency - Allows for fair amount of customization for organizational needs

Cons

While Athena as an organization has a platform to vote on and suggest ideas, they seem less interested in improving the product that they have and more interested in moving forward as the EHR of the future. While I appreciate their aspirations, as a user, I think it would behove them to take a pause and a deep listen to what the users are asking for to improve upon what they already have. The product...

truly the easiest EMR/billing system to use

5 years ago, during the quality reporting for reimbursement, Athena made it so simple and easy that i was shocked to learn that it took a fellow friend 2 months to complete her reporting where it took me 30 minutes. providing patients with detailed information on their insurance benefits and the life of claim creates better communication and cohesion for the clinic/patient relationship. as a provider,...

Pros

from the clerical input, insurance checking/info response, patient input, dx order features, sign off and the visual, detail of the LIFEspan of a claim, orders require "circle completion," the ease of quality reporting requirements...i could go on an on with the amazing functionality features of this program.

Cons

it is expensive, but it eliminates the need to hire for areas of administration. what I would pay for 1-3 people to do, Athena provides an entire team of people, thus creating a quicker turn around time for appeals, the need to call insurance companies. the implementation period is overwhelming, and going live will make you question yourself and your desicion. but, so worth it.

EHR

We still have issues with multiple ICD 10 dx being accounted for by the health insurance companies for patient visit billing. The billing information is limited to a certain number of codes per claim. For complicated patients with multiple problems the claims do not transition over to the insurance company. Usually only the top 4 would. Some patients can have as many as 20 codes per annual encounter.

Pros

Relatively easy to use after training and some oversite during implementation

Cons

It has little functionality for the large multi specialty group for customization. It doesn’t allow quick review of the ongoing story and treatment plan for chronic diseases. Medication flow charts are lacking for chronic disease management. The present ones are too cumbersome and time consuming to customize.

Medical practice--My way

AthenaHealth EHR is an affordable way for a small practice to have a quality EHR. I pay a percent of my collections. I like the tie between what I get paid determines what Athena gets paid. That gives Athena a healthy interest in my business' financial performance.

Pros

I love that I have the ability to customize my order sets and templates. I also like that I can draw on the expertise of other medical practice templates so that I didn't have to re-invent the wheel in many instances!

Cons

Sometimes there is a hesitation in changing "pages". It is a cloud based software so my local internet and the internet where the software is located do play into the speed of use.

Athena satisfactions

It has been overall satisfactory

Pros

Ability to obtain raw data to measure outcomes

Cons

Standards to ensure that table building spaces can easily be audited and evaluate outcomes on table spaces Reports and communicator have limited capabilities Uds data reporting and non use of super users to provide support

Athena EMR

Overall, very good EMR. Great price. Poor support and improvements on hospital platform

Pros

Lots of billing intelligence and assistance.

Cons

They focus heavily on the ambulatory side, and not as much on the hospital side. Also- long wait times for customer support.

Comprehensive, reliable

I have been with AthenaHealth for 5 years, and it has been significantly better than my previous system. Very robust system, but takes time to learn the functions. Transition to streamlined version was difficult at first, but actually does save time and makes sense, and is mirrors the actual patient encounter better.

Pros

It has taken away the work of the office for attaining Meaningful Use. Report creation allows you to drill down on clinical information or financial information easily. Patients love the ability to communicate with the office on their time. Much less time calling patients to remind them of their bills or appointments. Athena does your filing for you, or you can barcode documents and they automatically get filed correctly.

Cons

System takes a long time to master. Sometimes have to wait on hold for support (not in India). Billing and follow-up still needs to be done by office, even though the bills go out electronically by athena. Athena does not do very much to follow up on the problem bills, and will not contact patients, other than to send reminders of bills due.

How wonderful it is

Our office has been using Athena since 2007. We first started with the collector ( billing and scheduling) it made the entire process easy with the ability to see if there were any mistakes before the claim was sent out. In 2011 we started in the clinical (EHR) and I can say without reservation that it is by far the most user-friendly system I have ever worked with. From the management point of it there is nothing better than getting a bill and knowing that there are no hidden fees. Also, it was a revelation to finally get an upgrade without having to pay extra for it.

Pros

I wish there was just one thing that I can say sticks out in the pro column however that would not be true. Everything about Athena is a pro. From the way you can depend on the system, and how easy it is to use. To the people who work there. I have never had a bad experience when dealing with the customer service center.

Cons

Sometimes it does take a few minutes to get to the customer service center. There may be times that you may need to be transferred to someone else but for the most part that does not happen often.

I Thank God Every Day for AthenaHealth EHR

I work in an internal medicine office. We deal with any and all kinds of medical issues. We also deal with any and all kinds of insurances. We have an integrated Athena product of scheduling, clinical and billing. I can navigate from billing issues and re submissions, to finding when a patient had his last tetnus shot, to printing out an order for a mammogram. The ease, fluidity and quality of the...

Pros

Easy to learn and easy to work with. Billing is great and the rules based system is so helpful and our errors are less than 1% because of it.

Cons

That my internet is not as fast as the capability of the EHR.

Psychotherapist in Private Practice using Athenahealth

Overall I really like this system. I am not a computer person and I do my own billing. I was able to teach myself how to use the system. It is a little complicated to enter all the patient information and confirm the insurance information. However, once the patient is in the system, I can do weeks billing for 40 patients in one hour.

Pros

Easy to use once the patient is registered into the system. Some of the reports are too complicated for my needs but would be good for a larger practice. The customer support people are great when you are trying to learn the system. You are also assigned a contact person who follows up with you weekly or monthly depending on your needs. My person has been very helpful. The payments come in quickly and the money is directly deposited in your bank account -- this insures a more steady cash flow.

Cons

I was told that there would be more customer support for unpaid claims collection -- when the insurance refuses payment. There has not been as much support as I hoped there would be. Since I have a small practice, there are more parts to the system than I need. I wish there was a way to turn off those functions. For example, clients pay me their co-pay directly, so I don't need the billing function....

Our "Alliance" with Athena

As a smaller local hospital we did not utilize Athena for our hospital ERM however our physicians network did. The system utilized by the hospital and Athena utilized by the physicians network did not communicate therefore information would need to be manually obtained for a patient who had a primary care physician within our own network that had been admitted to our hospital. Confusing for both nursing...

Pros

Fairly easy to navigate, allows for a quick overview of patient demographics, medical history, medications, etc.

Cons

For whatever reason coding allows for a lot of duplication or for information to be incomplete.

Athena makes my job mostly easier.

Pros

The workflow of Athena is excellent and uses common sense. E-prescribing, integrated fax, communication among office employees is a must.

Cons

There are a lot of steps to go through from chart completion to claim submission. Sometimes it feels like there is a lot of double work happening. Athena does not know much medical terminology and often tells me that I am misspelling things when I know them to be correct. I wish that the dictation portion were free.

Billing Specialist

This is by far the best medical software that I have used. It is very user friendly. I have used this software program with another practice over 6yr ago and it was great then and it has improved over the years. I really feel that anyone who tries Athena will not be disappointed.

Pros

It's user friendly. It is easy to tell who has access a pt account when that is necessary. Everything is time stamped. It is easy to do in house billing and follow up. There are many safe guard in place to prevent errors. The technical support personnel are very helpful and willing to find a solution to what ever question you have. I have never felt like a burden when calling for help navigating through the system. They always seem to be eager to assist me. Athena is always updating the software to make it even better.

Cons

The first couple days after an update the system seems to run slow. We are unable to use the same email on different accounts with out linking the family together.

So easy to use

We have used Athena for almost 5 years and it has helped us to run our practice so much more smoothly. The system works so well from scheduling to check out for each patient. When scheduling and entering insurance, a practice can immediately see if the insurance is valid (we barely remember those annoying calls to verify insurance), the medical record allows the patient to move through the office...

Pros

Reminder calls, insurance validation, eligibility and phone daily report, ticklers that remind patient to schedule an appointment if not done at check out, ease of entering/dropping claims, ability to generate useful and custom reports, day end review allows you to see if any claims need corrections immediately

Cons

Streamlined version seems to require more clicks and sometimes the co-pay is not applied to the date it is paid which can be confusing

Idea is cool, but a few glitches..

Athenanet is okay, I was able to learn it quickly but I still get frustrated with some things; it's not my preferred EMR system but it's not the worst either; I like that there's Athena-people that help the business but sometimes I think they're lazy and don't follow-up with a lot; if you're going to help, HELP, don't just leave things undone and be like, "oops I tried but not my problem" basically...

Pros

I like that the flow of my day is pretty well maintained b/c of athenanet, it's pretty easy to follow since the last big update

Cons

There's TOO much info sometimes and is very repetitive; if I could label things myself like we do on our regular computers and not be forced to put things in specific spots. I don't like if I have a case open, you personally have to make sure to check on it otherwise they say basically "if we don't hear from you in 5 days, we assume it's good and close the issue"- why isn't there an alert system when...

functional but time-consuming EMR

Had a previous EMR from 2008-2014 that was much more pediatric-specific and pediatric-friendly. Had to make a switch when Meaningful Use happened, and Athena seemed the best of the options. It is not nearly as peds-friendly, and there is MUCH more clicking every day, every hour, every encounter. Whereas moving from paper to EMR originally sped up my work, moving from our first EMR to Athena did not speed things up and seems overall to slow things down in fact.

Pros

smart lists that know what orders might go with what diagnoses ability to remind patients of next appointments, vaccines, etc. ease of creating reports about anything integration of Portal with EMR

Cons

no "office view". This is the single most frustrating part about Athena. In our old EMR, I could easily see what patients were in what room waiting for one doctor in the office all at once. THat's not possible with Athena, and without that, I will never feel completely happy with the system. I also hate how difficult it is to quickly look at recent visits, because the "Visits" tab includes phone calls, and other "encounters" that aren't the same as visits. The new streamlined version makes taking care of quality parameters impossible because of the time involved to click and wait on each one. (In the previous version, I could click on everything that was satisfied outside of Athena and then save it at once). Now I just ignore that tab due to time.

Athena in Healthcare

AthenaOne takes time to learn, but once you get the hang of it, I feel that it is straightforward. You have to learn it's nuances. From there, it is a simplified tool to help track patients, keep tasks on track & provide patient-centered care.

Pros

I think athena has many great features. It is easy to visualize the patient's demographics and recent notes about them, from your own clinic or others in the network. I love that you are able to keep up-to-date this way. For example, before seeing a patient who you referred last visit to a specialist, being able to see their assessment is quick and user friendly. Overall, I love working with athena's dashboard to keep an eye on multiple providers' buckets.

Cons

I think athena takes time to get use to. There is a lot of 'clicking' involved. For example, it has a new feature with one of it's latest updates that leaves a patient case in 'data entry' until the user selects the option saying 'data entry complete' and saves it. This is an additional step that has caused some issues with providers placing cases in the wrong place or not closing them properly.

Athena review

Pros

Athena was the first EMR I used when converting from paper charts. There was a huge learning curve and only because of the expertise of a well trained hospital employee were we able to survive the transition. It slowed us down but our notes and billing were improved.

Cons

I wish you could open 2 windows at once like other EMRs. The reason I would never recommend this system is because they were unable to help us merge charts from one athena chart to another. We were forced to change our Tin number when our hospital was acquired by another hospital system. They said they couldn't carry information like consults,lab trends,imaging reports and pretty much everything we needed to make a smooth transition. I could understand if we were changing form Epic to Athena. This made no sense and in the ever changing medical environment with acquisitions happening on a frequent basis I would be very wary about using this system. It has been a complete disaster for me and everyone I know in our medical group.

Athena--sometimes feels like war.

Overall, the system is fine. (It's better than what we did have). Calling Athenahelp is usually a struggle that doesn't produce much result and leaves you disappointed. I think that Athena chat could benefit greatly from the ability to enter your extension or location. A lot of our doctors travel to different offices and when you need to reach the staff, it is hard to know where they are. It would be great it Athena chat, you could put a personalized status. Instead of just the drop down of "available, busy for 1 hour, etc". It would be great if we could personalize it to say "ext. 555" or something.

Pros

Printing school/work notes & visit summaries at the end of the visit is convenient. Automated phone calls, portal communication & ease are both very positive assets for Athena. Charge entry and the tools available to process claims are very helpful as well.

Cons

"Tasks/buckets" and their routing leave a lot to be desired. Internal communications are not routed to the originating department & then must be asked back to them by other departments. Labeling documents could also use the ability to attach more than one order to results. When you have multiple lab results coming back on one fax and you can only attach it to one order, that leaves a lot of orders look as if they are unfulfilled.

Athena helps me daily

This would be a better question for my billing cycle manager.

Pros

As EMR systems go, there are many things I love about Athena. I am able to modify my templates for patient encounters VERY quickly and easily. I am able to work with the billing department to modify and adjust CPT and ICD 10 codes which helps the billing department keep up with the ever changing insurance rules and regulations - keeping us in compliance. I love the use of macros and the ability to structure instructions, messages, things I do and say routinely but don't need to be typed or dictated over and over.

Cons

Not an Athena problem, but a global problem. The huge catalog of labs and imaging studies with their particular names and codes, can be hard to find when trying to keep up with charting on a rolling basis. I wish there could be a uniform catalog for labs.