NextGen Office Reviews

1.2K

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend7.6/10

Reviews by rating

I really had an awesome experience using this amazing software. When i started using it, my office communication and timeliness has greatly improved with time and it has been awesome.
The tech support is outstanding. I can call them and they are always helpful and very patient with a physician who may not totally understand every nuance of the program.
I loved how the application was super easy to use. The navigation part of the application, made my daily workflow easier.
All upgrades, additions, or troubleshooting falls back on the customer, because they assume all customers employ a full-time IT staff, and they blame any failures or problems on the customer.
Then they charged my bank account for it. When I emailed to inquire why they charged me they said they were not going to let me out of my contract early.
The lack of new features and the lack of complete integration between the EHR and the EPM, the lack of integration causes issues in development.

1,264 reviews

JACQUE P.

medical assistant

Medical Practice, 1-10 employees

Not the best but not the worse

Transcript

Jacque P.: Hi, I'm Jacque, and I'm a medical billing manager for a private medical practice and I give...

Kiara B.

Individual & Family Services, 501-1,000 employees

Used other for 2+ years

Medical Records/ Information

Overall, I love using this website for medical information and record updates. I love being able to schedule appointments for my kids and I, it makes it really easy. NextGen still needs a little work but overall, its easy, accessible, great way to communication with healthcare providers, shows your medication and so much more great features.

Pros

I love that we are able to schedule our appointments online. I like that we are also able to see our medical records and other information about myself and other family members. I also really like that its easy access anywhere you go. I like a lot of the features on the site.

Cons

The only thing that I least like about the software is the communication on scheduling and communication between a healthcare provider can take long to 2 days or more.

VK

Vipul K.

Hospital & Health Care, 1-10 employees

family physician review

I'm overall happy. Every EHR system has its pros and cons, but I believe Nextgen Office has a very good combination of ease of use and overall cost.

Pros

It is very easy to complete my notes at the time of examination of the patients

Cons

whenever an upgrade or maintenance is completed over a weekend, many times we run into problems coming back to work on that Monday. For examples, slowness, screen freezes up, etc. The latest incident was this past weekend. It was eventually corrected on the Monday, but it slows us down.

DB

Dalton B.

Limited Customization & Difficult Corporate Team

I would not recommend working with this company/software. There are numerous options in the market at comparable price points that offer superior products.

Pros

Provides standard EMR and Practice Management functionality. If all you're looking for is a simple EMR to track your patient encounters, this software is a decent option.

Cons

1. Extremely difficult to transfer from other EMRs to this system. Beware that there will be a lot of manpower needed in order to get you up and running unless you're willing to pay expensive migration rates. 2. Account management and customer support teams are unorganized and inefficient. Often you have difficulty finding somebody who can answer your questions. 3. The pricing is based on a per physician basis. If you have a provider leave your practice/company, you are not allowed to terminate prior to your next renewal date. You could be left with significant fees for unused licenses if your company has any turnover. Their team offered no flexibility with fees during the COVID-19 pandemic.

BW

Barry W.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Get to know it

Took a while to learn the system, but in’s you learn the ins and outs of navigation it a breeze

Pros

Everything thing you need is there. Options are unlimited. Navigation is straight forward once you learn the system. Support is knowlegible and fast.

Cons

Tough to learn. Training team needs a lot to be desired

Education Management, 51-200 employees

Be prepared to train your employees forever!

Pros

I like that there are two distinctive sides to this software: Practice Management and the EHR. This makes everything difficult though when learning it for the first time. It really breaks up what would be a fairly daunting task of switching to this system. I love that patients are able to register their information before their first visit-- this makes entering in new patients so much easier and faster.

Cons

You can only do some things through Practice Management and many others through the EHR. When admitting new patients I have to toggle between the two and often have to have several browser tabs open while entering in patient data. It took seemingly forever to figure out what kind of profile employees should be on-- should we all be administrators or not? We found that some permissions were not granted if everyone was not made to be an administrator and vital abilities were lost to some employees. After learning this system for about a year we are still figuring out ways to work with this system a little better. It is not intuitive and it is difficult to learn. There has to be a better system out there when switching to Electronic Medical Records.

If not for the reports, all would be 5 stars

Customer service was fantastic when this was Healthfusion. Then NextGen came along and decided to cut staff, outsource and shift everyone to a website for service requests and complaints. The "Success Community" is a farce, your requests rot there until you escalate them or call in asking why they haven't been touched. The various departments no longer communicate very effectively. The people that are still employed there are great, but spread entirely too thin.

Pros

Fully intergrated. No uploading, no downloading. You enter a claim and it sends when you save it. ERA's are there daily without having to retrieve them. Everything comes to you.

Cons

The reports module is hopelessly complicated and not written for the laymen. You will either need to pay them to write custom reports for anything you need beyond the pre-made reports, or go through lengthy training and lost of practice to understand their system.

FA

Faizan A.

Claim Processing

We are very happy with this web based software you don’t need to have have internet connection access to use. Even you can use for slow connection or small practice too

Pros

Creating a charge is just a matter of clicks with nextgen office

Cons

submission of charge is very easy and post a refund is also not a tricky job you can do with simple step but nextgen need to little bit improvement for color theme

RG

Ryan G.

Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees

NextGen has been improving in the last few years in terms of functionality

The SQL database is great, easy to get information out of. Reporting is very strong

Pros

Nice suite of features, they are continuing to add new features through aggressive mergers with 3rd party software and starting to focus on value based care.

Cons

The templates can be rather clunky and they look dated. It's also a bit slow compared to other EMRs I've worked on/with.

Aaron R.

Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 employees

The out of the box templates are a good start to utilizing NextGen.

Pros

The ability to customize the system to your workflow and streamline the documentation process. I also like the configuration templates in addition to the quick save and quick note functionality.

Cons

There are too many clicks in the system. My providers regularly discuss how many clicks are required to complete a note. There is also a lot redundancy.

LC

Lisa C.

Higher Education, 11-50 employees

Good office tool

Pros

Tracking appointments, updating patient information and EHR were all easily managed and integrated.

Cons

Scanning in insurance cards and identification cards was a very slow process. I wish it was more efficient in that sense. A patient backup holds up the whole office flow.

JL

Jon L.

Shady ethical practices

In order to get my auto bill pay to stop I had to change my credit card number. NextGen would not stop extracting monthly payment from autopay that I had established years before. This company made a great deal of money from me for the years and the parting thanks was an exit gouge for all the money they could get. I spent many hours in discussion and in correspondence with the company to resolve this issue. Each person with whom I spot expressed understanding but said they didn't have authority to made the decision of turning off the automatic billing, even though I wasn't using the product. They acknowledged that I did notify the company but I notified the "wrong" department.

Pros

It was accessible in the cloud. I was able to free text fairly easily.

Cons

I had to nag my regional representative to get a response. He acted like he just didn't have time to help with issues. I needed to archive my records because I was retiring. My rep and the technical backup team from NextGen did not speak with a different department (billing). The billing department felt that I should given earlier notification in order not to fulfill a yearly billing cycle. It became apparent to me that the various departments don't communicate with each other. The billing department could have honored my telephonic and email communications that I had with two of their other departments and simply closed my account in a month or two. They chose to stiff me for a complete year of billing.

DF

Deidre F.

This reviewer only left a rating

We are a single physician clinic in rural Texas. My physician is also my husband, and he is a board certified Family Practice osteopathic physician practicing in the same clinic for almost 30 years now. Our clinic is busy, and my staff is small. Employees are cross-trained in medical assisting and clerical duties and often cover each other depending on patient needs and/or staff absences. Having MediTouch...

SJ

Saeed J.

Dermatology Office Using MediTouch's HealthFusion for nearly 1 year

In 2015, I spent countless hours reviewing/sampling one EHR after another to find a good fit for what we needed/wanted in an EHR. We were moving from paper and wanted a cloud-based solution. As a dermatology office, we absolutely need the ability to document patient's skin findings on a diagram. HealthFusion was one of the few that gave this ability and even allowed us to upload our own images which...

Pros

Platform-independent (works on ChromeOS, MacOS, iOS, Android, etc.) Browser-independent (works in Chrome, Safari, Edge, Internet Explorer, Opera, etc) Cloud-based with no need for specific hardware/software in-house. Local to our time zone (Pacific) with U.S. based customer service Clearinghouse is in-house with the vendor Speed of operation - there have been moments when the cloud-based

Cons

Lack of specialty-specific Meaningful Use, PQRS, and MACRA measures Need for heavy customization for the purposes of documenting specific scenarios (specialty or otherwise) Extra components within standard documentation unnecessary for most specialties Integration of PM and EHR could be a bit better

KZ

Kevin Z.

Hospital & Health Care, 1-10 employees

Don't waste your hardwork or time trying to use or implement.

Beyond terrible. Do not waste your time

Pros

None. Beyond bad. The other programs are much better even with some frustation. This is easily the worst.

Cons

1. Nextgen customer service for implentation is an absolute joke. I had spoken to so many different employees and none seem to know what they are doing. Common answer to questions and you are placed on hold while they ask someone else or transferred to the next employee. 2. Difficult to set up. Eclinicals, practice fusion, and athena got it right. Next gen is so wrong. If you are going to...

JN

Jennifer N.

NextGen has been easy to learn and has grown with the changes that occur in the medical field.

We transitioned from paper charts to this EHR. The process was challenging but nextgen navigated us through all of the ups and downs it takes to get through scanning paper records and training staff. We have improved all processes since the initial implementation. We have from scheduling on the front end to the billing and statements on the back end we improved those processes. We took our antiquated...

Pros

The ability to track authorizations using tasking and worklog as patient portal and how the messages easily populate into the front desk inbox. Patient portal can easily route the messages appropriately. And last, the ability to customize it to the needs of our specific practices slash specialty!

Cons

The ongoing upgrades although I know that is necessary for any EHR. Also there is no "reschedule" option for appointments. You can cancel then rebook and look at reschedule history but I personally like a reschedule button then follow the sequence needed.

SW

Shirley W.

Financial Services, 11-50 employees

Not what we were hoping for

We have about eight months into this software and are still struggling with very basic issues such as claims not making it to the carrier and reports not functioning to our (or our clients') level of expectation. I cannot report on many fields in the system and despite being told in the beginning that their reporting tool was being enhanced and we could report on individual fields, and spend additional...

Pros

Autoposting is fantastic. We find it does it correctly close to 100% of the time. When the system cannot effectively autopost, it "flags" the RA so that you can address it individually. When we initially converted, we found that importing patient demographics was refreshingly simple and something we could do on our own without additional costs. Patient demographics are easy to enter and maintain.

Cons

Reporting is completely ineffective. Canned reports don't balance against each other, and it's hard to quantify values. Not much assistance from Customer Service, although they do try to be helpful. EDI process has been nothing short of challenging. From enrollment issues in the beginning to claims submission and follow-up issues, we are finding as we work AR several months later we're still having...

CN

Claire N.

This reviewer only left a rating

We are a relatively small 6-provider midwifery practice in Anchorage, Alaska. We used Lytec for years, but wanted to move to something web-based that was highly functional, but also affordable for mid-level providers. HealthFusion stood out as one of the only companies that was willing to differentiate in pricing between a group of MD's, and a group of NP's and midwives, as the difference in the...

AV

Ansh V.

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

NextGen Office: A Cloud-Based Productivity Suite

Pros

NextGen Office is a cloud-based office productivity suite that includes tools for word processing, spreadsheet management, and presentation creation. One pro of NextGen Office is that it is accessible from any device with an internet connection, allowing users to work from anywhere and collaborate with colleagues in real time. Additionally, NextGen Office is typically less expensive than traditional office productivity software, as it is subscription-based rather than requiring a one-time purchase. This can make it a more cost-effective solution for businesses and individuals.

Cons

One potential con of NextGen Office is that it may require an internet connection in order to access and use the tools and features of the platform. This could potentially be an issue for users who need to work offline or do not have reliable internet access. Additionally, some users may prefer the more advanced features and customization options available in other office productivity suites, such as Microsoft Office or Google Workspace. As with any software or platform, it is important for users to carefully evaluate the pros and cons to determine if NextGen Office is the right fit for their needs.

JZ

Jonathan Z.

This reviewer only left a rating

I am a Pulmonologist in a busy private subspecialty practice. I have experience using several diffeent electronic health records. Our practice has been using the NextGen product for more than 7 years--so I can speak as a battle tested user of this product. There are certainly some advantages to using any decent electronic health record including access to outpatient records across campus, handling...

JN

John N.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees

Powerful But Steep Learning Curve

NextGen is a very powerful and highly customizable EHR and practice management suite. It is especially handy and speedy if you have it hosted on premise along with a powerful server for SQL. With the right expertise, NextGen can be customized to exactly how you want it to behave. The interface may look a little dated at this point but functionally it is very good. You may also want fairly beefy...

Pros

NextGen is vastly powerful and has lots of feature that are either built in or can be added. Good SQL performance. Flexible and customizable.

Cons

Steep learning curve, onsite SME highly recommended. Expensive licensing High server and PC requirement to get the best performance

DN

Denise N.

Medical Practice, 11-50 employees

Nextgen pros and cons

Overall the software is very good for daily charge entry, payment posting, and account managing. We use it daily and it is user friendly, even for brand new people just training. The providers are generally happy with the EHR side and its many features including searching patient training items on the spot.

Pros

It is user friendly when processing charges and posting payments. The auto flow works wonderfully and can be customized to your needs based on our processes in our office. It has a lot of features that makes charge entry easier like rearranging your codes right in the charge screen and accepting the copay at the same time.

Cons

My biggest complaint has been and will be the reporting. The process to create a report is fairly simple but all of the options aren't as available as I'd like and tweaking them is next to impossible. There are some reports we just haven't been able to create.

JC

John C.

Medical Practice, 11-50 employees

Not as promised.

Colleagues, keep looking; I did many hours of research on my final 3 choices, with at least 4 different presentations on MediTouch to myself, my office manager, head nurse and two other providers. Just can't foresee all the glitches, roadblocks, and problems until you buy it and are using it...kind of like the ACA, right Ms. Pelosi? "Let's pass (buy) this bill so we can see what's in it,"

Pros

Easy to modify "template" or document on the fly. Scheduling portion is good. Financial reports are good.

Cons

Average customer support, at best. You get passed from person to person, promised call-backs are usually days later than promised, sometimes do not occur at all.. Conversion not as promised. Medications documentation is confusing, redundant, very inefficient. Does NOT autopopulate labs results for tracking over time (cannot look at flowsheets unless you individually enter each result into the flowsheet, which is ridiculously inefficient), yet we were shown examples of lab flowsheets. Lots of problems with their electronic claims submissions. If I could get out of my contract (after 1 year of use now), without paying for the full 3 years I signed up for, I would do it immediately!

PG

Paul G.

Medical Practice,

Clinically Useless. Lost Productivity. Cryptic data entry/retrieval

Pros

The product support was horribly useless. The techs and their supervisors knew very little about the product. The Nextgen system itself is the real problem though. It takes so many clicks to perform the very simplest retrieval of information or data entry. The windows to see information or enter are tiny, 1 cm in height and cannot be adjusted. After a full year, our office of 4 MDs and 3 NPs (all tech competent) were still only able to see 10 patients per 8 hour day, and still spend time after hours to document. Awful. In all honesty, I cannot find one redeeming quality to this EMR, compared to any of the others I've used extensively or on its own.

Cons

The answer to the problems were always: "It's being addressed in the next version roll out". This is a half-baked EMR. It's use is a danger to patient care and a real liability. We abandoned it. The system is intended to have the clinician enter all HPI, IMP and Plan by point and click check-boxes. If these are not used, then it does not collect meaningful use data. However, the clinical utility...

AM

Anne Marie A.

This reviewer only left a rating

I started using the MediTouch EHR system in the latter part of 2011. I changed over to solo practice of Obstetrics and Gynecology from a group practice and was not eager to have an initial high investment cost to begin a new system. MediTouch was affordable, but also, to my immense pleasure, transferring over from a system that was not only cumbersome but also more costly, I found working with the...

JA

Joel A.

Medical Practice,

One year of Meditouch now!

Pros

Started Meditouch EHR in 2015 after using a customized EHR since 1970s. Overall this past year a good product for the complexity of my medical office. Patients do like the interface and it is quite nice when I use my iPad Pro. Buttons are nice, clear. Search function is getting better.

Cons

I'm in a unique situation that Meditouch has never encountered. Because of my high complexity lab I have multiple billing lines for each type of bloodwork and Meditouch did not provide a solution. I have had to pay them for a lab interface but also had to purchase a LIS so our lab can communicate with the EHR just like commercial labs. Billing has been a nightmare for my office manager who did not...