NextGen Office Logo

NextGen Office

Empowering our clients to make healthcare better

NextGen Office Reviews

User ratings

4.0

1.1K
  • Likelihood to recommend7.6/10

See full reviews by rating

Pros

Cons

I really had an awesome experience using this amazing software. When i started using it, my office communication and timeliness has greatly improved with time and it has been awesome.

EO

Ezekiel O.

KB

Kay B.

I loved how the application was super easy to use. The navigation part of the application, made my daily workflow easier.

na

norvie a.

All upgrades, additions, or troubleshooting falls back on the customer, because they assume all customers employ a full-time IT staff, and they blame any failures or problems on the customer.

TA

Tonda A.

Then they charged my bank account for it. When I emailed to inquire why they charged me they said they were not going to let me out of my contract early.

MJ

Michelle J.

The lack of new features and the lack of complete integration between the EHR and the EPM, the lack of integration causes issues in development.

RC

AdvancedMD EHR

Practice Fusion-logocaret

Practice Fusion

Compare both
How would you rate NextGen Office?

1,198 reviews

Not the best but not the worse

Transcript

Jacque P.: Hi, I'm Jacque, and I'm a medical billing manager for a private medical practice and I give...

NextGen Healthcare-Still a leader in Patient/Physician communication

This was a Premiere Patient and Physician portal many years ago and worked so smoothly. I did live in another state, but happily when researching my info for older records, this Portal was still there and had all I needed. I did not pursue moving items to another portal that some of my doctors use today since they seems to be on an ever evolving and ever revolving system of chaos on some of the models being implemented currently. This wasn't broken, so I wish it had stayed for many other people. But a refreshing relief to still find it and get to use it. It may be working in other parts of the world and in those places I hope that the users feels as good as I do about it.

Pros

I needed to find some older records from another place and time. My portal still was available from 2014 and I had many and virtually all options available to me despite being in other Physician based web portals over the years. Beyond Helpful.

Cons

I only dislike that it is phased out in many common places and dominated by more complex systems. I experienced this issue recently at a physicians office.

family physician review

I'm overall happy. Every EHR system has its pros and cons, but I believe Nextgen Office has a very good combination of ease of use and overall cost.

Pros

It is very easy to complete my notes at the time of examination of the patients

Cons

whenever an upgrade or maintenance is completed over a weekend, many times we run into problems coming back to work on that Monday. For examples, slowness, screen freezes up, etc. The latest incident was this past weekend. It was eventually corrected on the Monday, but it slows us down.

Easy to use in a frustrating industry

this is a frustrating industry dealing with insurance companies. NextGen makes it fairly easy to track.

Pros

This product is user friendly and intuitive. There are other programs, but we are happy with this one.

Cons

nothing really. For the most part, NextGen satisfies our billing needs and is fairly easy to train new users.

it's ok

I wouldn't want to use it again

Pros

The product was easy enough to use, but didn't interface with our EMR

Cons

Setting up reports was difficult and required special privileges

Great interface with EHR system

NextGen assists us with meeting Promoting Interoperability measures.

Pros

Ease of use for patients and families. Practice can create/modify as needed

Cons

upgrades can be timely, alot going on with managing the interface. Be sure to have a good IT team for the upgrades when needed.

One of the best EHR Vendors around

I have had a wonderful experience with this software and it's auxiliary products. Even when things don't go as expected their customer support has been on top of it.

Pros

I like the immediate transition of the company since the new [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] has taken over. Their commitment to customer success with new edge technologies has been a great shift and kept me as a customer.

Cons

I dislike the fact that they don't have a bigger stack in the hospital industry of healthcare. I think this needs to change particularly with their api and interoperability stack.

Pros and Cons

The only thing that it really solved is my doctor can dictate his note into the system the way he wanted to. But as far as the PM side, I would not choose this software again. It's not streamlined or user friendly as the demo's show and through training.

Pros

I purchased this software a little over a year ago and I still struggle with it from the PM side. The EHR side I do not work with a lot personally but my staff and doctors seem to like it pretty good. The scheduler is easy to read. Billing has a lot ways to track denials, rejections etc.

Cons

There are a lot of things that could be improved with the billing side. So many steps to make any corrections with payment postings. Constantly have to go from keyboard to clicking with the mouse instead of just clicking the "enter" key. May seem trivial but it does interrupt the stream of things.

NextGen is not user friendly

I was unhappy with the product because it slowed me down and required so much excess minutia in button clicking and scrolling. Overall it is a very inconvenient software to use. Eventually I became accustomed to it, but you realize how bad it is once you switch to a better software

Pros

The layout is fairly readable. Sometimes it is nice to click on a box and have it instantly bring up a table to select different options, but it is generally annoying and difficult to customize.

Cons

Excessive tabs, scrolling, and button-clicking. It is very time-consuming to complete exam charts due to the poor layout design of the system. The layout design does not utilize monitor real estate very well.

9 Years with NextGen

NextGen is a robust EHR that seems to offers solutions for all aspects of medical documentation including Practice Management for patient scheduling and billing. They are excellent with keeping up to date with the Regulatory, Prescribing, and Meaningful Use aspects that are required. There are calls and news letters to keep the clients informed of any upcoming changes or updates. No EHR is perfect. All have pro's and con's. We have had the opportunity to change software in the past but after consideration we decided to stay with NextGen for many reasons including cost and meeting our needs. I would recommend this software to others!

Pros

We have been using this product for several years now. After looking at several other EMR's NextGen seems to be more user friendly than others I have seen. There is a lot of "clicking" and navigation to be done to complete a chart but it seems to be the same with all EHR's. NextGen offers recorded trainings, WebEx and onsite trainings to get the most out of the product. Support is quick to return calls when a ticket is opened for technical assistance or if you just need help with a workflow issue. We have integration/interfaces with several other products and all work really well together.

Cons

Providers would like to see "more intuitive" templates. There are some templates that you cannot print from that would be of help, for instance the Vital Sign Graph.

Not bad but it had to grow on me

We use NextGen to create patient charts to submit and generate claims to send through our clearinghouse. The set up was off to a rocky start but overall we have learned how to use the system and utilize the functions. It is not too difficult to use and for the most part easy to navigate and understand after fully learning the in's and out's of the system.

Pros

The billing chart entry is not terrible. After a while you get used to it. It is fairly simple to use once you have a full understanding of how it works and able to easily operate it. The charge entry is extremely simple giving you step-by-step charge entry points to easily understand.

Cons

The customer service was NOT great. I dont know if perhaps my experience was unique but especially when it came to deployment it had a very difficult time. I do not like how they restrict you on what you are allowed to do within your own database. I wish the user had more capabilities especially when initially setting it up for the office. I feel like every time I have an issue no one knows how to answer it and just passes me off to the next person.

IT Program/Project Manager

In 2006, a 3rd party integrator (no longer in business) sold NextGen to our organization and since this was their first time installing it, the installation and configuration was barely implemented. To mitigate, in 2011, additional Practice Management training from NextGen and EHR Training/template development resources from Ciscon were engaged to review billing processes and create clinical workflows. Thanks to NextGen/Ciscon, we were able to launch the EHR in 2013. Since then, they have helped us make significant improvements to the clinical workflow (customizing templates) and billing processing. In 2016, the NextGen reports allowed us to start receiving CMS Meaningful Use/ACI incentive funds.

Pros

1. Highly configurable...an organization can develop/program/configure any template or drop-down list box to tailor it to their clinical staff! 2. Software includes everything a clinic/hospital needs...and with NextGen's MirthConnect product, any interface or integration to another system is possible and easy! Besides the EHR and Practice Management, NextGen provides a Patient Portal, ePrescribe capability,...

Cons

Like any EHR (vs a paper chart), there are lots of clicks for the clinical staff members. In addition, the graphical user interface was so new to staff, this caused delays in the encounters. (To mitigate, we spent time, money, and effort on training users as well as building customized templates...This was worth every penny!)

Dermatology Office Using MediTouch's HealthFusion for nearly 1 year

In 2015, I spent countless hours reviewing/sampling one EHR after another to find a good fit for what we needed/wanted in an EHR. We were moving from paper and wanted a cloud-based solution. As a dermatology office, we absolutely need the ability to document patient's skin findings on a diagram. HealthFusion was one of the few that gave this ability and even allowed us to upload our own images which...

Pros

Platform-independent (works on ChromeOS, MacOS, iOS, Android, etc.) Browser-independent (works in Chrome, Safari, Edge, Internet Explorer, Opera, etc) Cloud-based with no need for specific hardware/software in-house. Local to our time zone (Pacific) with U.S. based customer service Clearinghouse is in-house with the vendor Speed of operation - there have been moments when the cloud-based

Cons

Lack of specialty-specific Meaningful Use, PQRS, and MACRA measures Need for heavy customization for the purposes of documenting specific scenarios (specialty or otherwise) Extra components within standard documentation unnecessary for most specialties Integration of PM and EHR could be a bit better

Great potential, but needs some improvement!

Pros

They are improving the product consistently. There have been two product updates since we started with them in March. Customer service has improved greatly as well. 99% of the time someone who picks up the phone and helps you with your problems. They have daily webinars that are free of a particular topic, so you can log in, ask questions, get help, and then log off. The product has a lot of great things such as ease of sending the charges from the docs to the billing department, seeing the exact statement that a patient received so you can talk to them more intelligently, getting lots of detail on the claims, rescheduling a patient from one day to the next, and blocking a portion of the schedule or opening a portion of the schedule.

Cons

You can submit issues via email, but once they respond back, they close the case. Even if they didn't give you the answer you were looking for, you then have to email again and reference the case requiring you to print everything to keep track, because there is no way to follow the status of your case. If you submit feature requests, there is no way to know if they are working on it, aren't considering...

This reviewer only left a rating

We are a single physician clinic in rural Texas. My physician is also my husband, and he is a board certified Family Practice osteopathic physician practicing in the same clinic for almost 30 years now. Our clinic is busy, and my staff is small. Employees are cross-trained in medical assisting and clerical duties and often cover each other depending on patient needs and/or staff absences. Having MediTouch...

I love MediTouch PM Software

Pros

I love the A/R features. I love how fast I get paid by commercial vendors. I love how intuitive it is on helping avoid claim issues. I did not have any issues with implementation. I have had nothing but good experience with support. We have had this EMR for over a year (and I have dealt with a few) and this is by far the best I've used. We have not had any issues with it going down. We have...

Cons

I would like a better way to weed out the non paid lines with auto post instead of dumping them all to the appeal bucket. I would like to be able to attach a claim to the billing comments and be able to send them to another employee to review. I wish that I could upload our own forms to save in the system- I do not like the forms library at all, pretty well worthless to us, I would like it if I could upload, name our files and use it that way.

We have been on Nextgen since 2009. We are a pain specialty. We had MAPS templates for paincare we

Pros

The customizations that are possible. WE are a specialty so it is important to capture the data, that is not always PCP. We have needs for rx report to be integrated which is coming in the new upgrade. We need to interface labs so doctors have quick and easy access to results. We have a responsibility to the community to keep them safe from people misusing or selling their medications. The templates...

Cons

I wish the upgrades were easier. oTHERWISE i AM VERY HAPPY WITH THE SYSTEM.

NextGen has been easy to learn and has grown with the changes that occur in the medical field.

We transitioned from paper charts to this EHR. The process was challenging but nextgen navigated us through all of the ups and downs it takes to get through scanning paper records and training staff. We have improved all processes since the initial implementation. We have from scheduling on the front end to the billing and statements on the back end we improved those processes. We took our antiquated...

Pros

The ability to track authorizations using tasking and worklog as patient portal and how the messages easily populate into the front desk inbox. Patient portal can easily route the messages appropriately. And last, the ability to customize it to the needs of our specific practices slash specialty!

Cons

The ongoing upgrades although I know that is necessary for any EHR. Also there is no "reschedule" option for appointments. You can cancel then rebook and look at reschedule history but I personally like a reschedule button then follow the sequence needed.

Great experience

This software is excellent in general, it has freed a lot of my time since I have customized it.

Pros

Once you customize documents, questionnaires, custom forms, physical exam information - it simplifies your work and you can be more efficient. Easy to customize once you learn how - my previous software took me long hours for several months to fix and even then it was not so easy, I had to keep typing additional data for my office notes. Saves time creating paper super-bills ( with my previous software...

Cons

Unable to see several tabs or pages at once, you need to save and close what you are doing to go some other part of the chart or if you need to open other patient's chart at the same time you are with one patient in the room - same applies for the PM portion and it is time consuming because you can not multitask.

How I spent my summer vacation OR Why I like my Nextgen Software program

I am satisfied with this program. I would prefer something that I could just speak to but that version of dragon is much more expensive.

Pros

I chose this software because it was designed by physicians, specifically osteopathic family physicians. It is organized in the traditional SOAP format so it is intuitive to most of us. It took me a little while to get comfortable with moving around in it but it is second nature now. I like to freelance my subjective paragraph and it's easy to do. Pull down's appear as if you didn't actually listen to the patient. The tech support is outstanding. I can call them and they are always helpful and very patient with a physician who may not totally understand every nuance of the program.

Cons

In the Rx number of days section, there needs to be a 5 day option, z-packs are 5 days and a 3 day option. Yes, I can type it in but I'm lazy. And if I type in an inhaler for 90 days, it has a problem allowing me to just send three inhalers. Same with BCP's.

Get to know it

Took a while to learn the system, but in’s you learn the ins and outs of navigation it a breeze

Pros

Everything thing you need is there. Options are unlimited. Navigation is straight forward once you learn the system. Support is knowlegible and fast.

Cons

Tough to learn. Training team needs a lot to be desired

This reviewer only left a rating

We are a relatively small 6-provider midwifery practice in Anchorage, Alaska. We used Lytec for years, but wanted to move to something web-based that was highly functional, but also affordable for mid-level providers. HealthFusion stood out as one of the only companies that was willing to differentiate in pricing between a group of MD's, and a group of NP's and midwives, as the difference in the...

This reviewer only left a rating

I've always been intrigued with the idea of automating as much as possible in the doctor's office. In addition, I am very compulsive about the quality of clinical note that I write. Over the years this has created circumstances where I would get behind on my documentation simply because I didn't have the time to write a quality note until the weekend. I have spent a very large amount of time off work...

About to go live

In my heart I know, after the growing pains, it will be a good product. They have a lot of videos to watch and webinars available. Call back is never as quick as when you need help.

Pros

2015 certified APMA partnered to work with them. NextGen uses APMA registry. Health Fusion was already purchased by NextGen so they aren't going anywhere. Customizable

Cons

1. It looks great when sales people show you but out of the box requires A LOT of customization. Of course, the good is that it is able to be customized - but YOU do it. 2. YOU do all work. They show you but you DO it 3. Many of the verbage they use looks good until you READ it. Then you realize how many changes YOU need to make.

User since 2011

Pros

The EMR portion of the program is very easy to use. You can access it from anywhere to work. I did my billing from the Bahamas one year. It makes meeting the meaningful use criteria very simple, and does most of the work for you, where other programs are much more difficult and too time consuming. The monthly price includes all updates and support, which is very reasonable. They have a great learning site and you can access the information on updates at anytime.

Cons

The billing portion of the system is not up to par if you live in New York State. It does not have a compatible NYS medicaid form, but will charge you if you want them to create one. It's secondary billing posting is awful if it is not able to be auto-posted, which is mostly because of New York State insurances. You have to manually look up in each account a secondary claim number you need to post...

Powerful But Steep Learning Curve

NextGen is a very powerful and highly customizable EHR and practice management suite. It is especially handy and speedy if you have it hosted on premise along with a powerful server for SQL. With the right expertise, NextGen can be customized to exactly how you want it to behave. The interface may look a little dated at this point but functionally it is very good. You may also want fairly beefy...

Pros

NextGen is vastly powerful and has lots of feature that are either built in or can be added. Good SQL performance. Flexible and customizable.

Cons

Steep learning curve, onsite SME highly recommended. Expensive licensing High server and PC requirement to get the best performance