NextGen Office Logo

Empowering our clients to make healthcare better

NextGen Office Reviews - Page 2

1,264 reviews

TS

Tracy S.

Disappointed

Overall I'm disappointed and it seems overpriced. I like the custom forms, knowledge database, and templates. I am comfortable with technology and know with a little work the software could be better but I don't think anyone cares. Tech support is slow and you must log into a web site to post issues so you need to log back in to find a response. If it weren't so difficult to change, I would but don't want to go through it again.

Pros

Support/Training Access. Almost anything you might have questions about is available in the knowledge database. The interactive training videos are very helpful.Custom Forms. Adding custom forms is easy.Visit Templates. It allows one to save common visit notes.

Cons

Inaccurate error messages. For example, if a patient's address is not entered and you try to send a prescription, it gives an error message about the sig. It took forever for me to realize why this happened. Reported but support did not correct or seem to care.Tech support. To request a new feature/additional service, you must contact the sales rep. I wanted 4 months for a response to adding a second...

DN

Debbie N.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, self-employed

Next Gen Office from a Person who is not techie

The system provides a centralised and organized repository for patient data and medical records, making it easier to access and manage patient information. The appointment scheduling feature helps reduce wait times and improve patient satisfaction by streamlining the scheduling process. The billing and invoicing features of NextGen Office help automate the process of submitting insurance claims, tracking...

Pros

There are several benefits to using NextGen Office, including its user-friendly interface, robust functionality, and strong customer support. The system is well-suited for small and mid-sized healthcare organizations and can be customized to meet the specific needs of each organization. It also integrates with other healthcare technologies, allowing for seamless workflow and improved patient care.

Cons

Some users have reported that NextGen Office can be slow or unreliable at times, and that certain features may require additional technical support. Some users have also reported that the software may not have all the features and functionality required by larger healthcare organizations. Additionally, the cost of implementing NextGen Office and maintaining it over time can be a significant investment for some organizations.

DB

Dalton B.

Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees

Limited Customization & Difficult Corporate Team

I would not recommend working with this company/software. There are numerous options in the market at comparable price points that offer superior products.

Pros

Provides standard EMR and Practice Management functionality. If all you're looking for is a simple EMR to track your patient encounters, this software is a decent option.

Cons

1. Extremely difficult to transfer from other EMRs to this system. Beware that there will be a lot of manpower needed in order to get you up and running unless you're willing to pay expensive migration rates. 2. Account management and customer support teams are unorganized and inefficient. Often you have difficulty finding somebody who can answer your questions. 3. The pricing is based on a per physician basis. If you have a provider leave your practice/company, you are not allowed to terminate prior to your next renewal date. You could be left with significant fees for unused licenses if your company has any turnover. Their team offered no flexibility with fees during the COVID-19 pandemic.

JL

Jon L.

Shady ethical practices

In order to get my auto bill pay to stop I had to change my credit card number. NextGen would not stop extracting monthly payment from autopay that I had established years before. This company made a great deal of money from me for the years and the parting thanks was an exit gouge for all the money they could get. I spent many hours in discussion and in correspondence with the company to resolve this issue. Each person with whom I spot expressed understanding but said they didn't have authority to made the decision of turning off the automatic billing, even though I wasn't using the product. They acknowledged that I did notify the company but I notified the "wrong" department.

Pros

It was accessible in the cloud. I was able to free text fairly easily.

Cons

I had to nag my regional representative to get a response. He acted like he just didn't have time to help with issues. I needed to archive my records because I was retiring. My rep and the technical backup team from NextGen did not speak with a different department (billing). The billing department felt that I should given earlier notification in order not to fulfill a yearly billing cycle. It became apparent to me that the various departments don't communicate with each other. The billing department could have honored my telephonic and email communications that I had with two of their other departments and simply closed my account in a month or two. They chose to stiff me for a complete year of billing.

MK

Michelle K.

Medical Practice, 201-500 employees

IT Program/Project Manager

In 2006, a 3rd party integrator (no longer in business) sold NextGen to our organization and since this was their first time installing it, the installation and configuration was barely implemented. To mitigate, in 2011, additional Practice Management training from NextGen and EHR Training/template development resources from Ciscon were engaged to review billing processes and create clinical workflows. Thanks to NextGen/Ciscon, we were able to launch the EHR in 2013. Since then, they have helped us make significant improvements to the clinical workflow (customizing templates) and billing processing. In 2016, the NextGen reports allowed us to start receiving CMS Meaningful Use/ACI incentive funds.

Pros

1. Highly configurable...an organization can develop/program/configure any template or drop-down list box to tailor it to their clinical staff! 2. Software includes everything a clinic/hospital needs...and with NextGen's MirthConnect product, any interface or integration to another system is possible and easy! Besides the EHR and Practice Management, NextGen provides a Patient Portal, ePrescribe capability,...

Cons

Like any EHR (vs a paper chart), there are lots of clicks for the clinical staff members. In addition, the graphical user interface was so new to staff, this caused delays in the encounters. (To mitigate, we spent time, money, and effort on training users as well as building customized templates...This was worth every penny!)

CC

Cheryl C.

Medical Practice,

Great potential, but needs some improvement!

Pros

They are improving the product consistently. There have been two product updates since we started with them in March. Customer service has improved greatly as well. 99% of the time someone who picks up the phone and helps you with your problems. They have daily webinars that are free of a particular topic, so you can log in, ask questions, get help, and then log off. The product has a lot of great things such as ease of sending the charges from the docs to the billing department, seeing the exact statement that a patient received so you can talk to them more intelligently, getting lots of detail on the claims, rescheduling a patient from one day to the next, and blocking a portion of the schedule or opening a portion of the schedule.

Cons

You can submit issues via email, but once they respond back, they close the case. Even if they didn't give you the answer you were looking for, you then have to email again and reference the case requiring you to print everything to keep track, because there is no way to follow the status of your case. If you submit feature requests, there is no way to know if they are working on it, aren't considering...

DF

Deidre F.

This reviewer only left a rating

We are a single physician clinic in rural Texas. My physician is also my husband, and he is a board certified Family Practice osteopathic physician practicing in the same clinic for almost 30 years now. Our clinic is busy, and my staff is small. Employees are cross-trained in medical assisting and clerical duties and often cover each other depending on patient needs and/or staff absences. Having MediTouch...

LK

Lauren K.

Medical Practice, 501-1,000 employees

A medical records system you can trust!

My overall experience has been very positive. It was an easy system to learn, with reliable customer service and support.

Pros

Nextgen is an ideal platform when operating across multiple office locations or affiliate offices under one corporation. Medical records are viewable in one platform without having to log in and out for each location. Patients are easily searchable with alerts to prevent accidental adding of duplicate charts. You can add a feature to check insurance eligibility on both medical record and practice...

Cons

There are so many features it can feel a little overwhelming at first. It is highly recommended to take advantage of any training offered on this platform on order to best take advantage of everything it has to offer.

SJ

Saeed J.

Dermatology Office Using MediTouch's HealthFusion for nearly 1 year

In 2015, I spent countless hours reviewing/sampling one EHR after another to find a good fit for what we needed/wanted in an EHR. We were moving from paper and wanted a cloud-based solution. As a dermatology office, we absolutely need the ability to document patient's skin findings on a diagram. HealthFusion was one of the few that gave this ability and even allowed us to upload our own images which...

Pros

Platform-independent (works on ChromeOS, MacOS, iOS, Android, etc.) Browser-independent (works in Chrome, Safari, Edge, Internet Explorer, Opera, etc) Cloud-based with no need for specific hardware/software in-house. Local to our time zone (Pacific) with U.S. based customer service Clearinghouse is in-house with the vendor Speed of operation - there have been moments when the cloud-based

Cons

Lack of specialty-specific Meaningful Use, PQRS, and MACRA measures Need for heavy customization for the purposes of documenting specific scenarios (specialty or otherwise) Extra components within standard documentation unnecessary for most specialties Integration of PM and EHR could be a bit better

DH

Dawn H.

We have been on Nextgen since 2009. We are a pain specialty. We had MAPS templates for paincare we

Pros

The customizations that are possible. WE are a specialty so it is important to capture the data, that is not always PCP. We have needs for rx report to be integrated which is coming in the new upgrade. We need to interface labs so doctors have quick and easy access to results. We have a responsibility to the community to keep them safe from people misusing or selling their medications. The templates...

Cons

I wish the upgrades were easier. oTHERWISE i AM VERY HAPPY WITH THE SYSTEM.

KZ

Kevin Z.

Hospital & Health Care, 1-10 employees

Don't waste your hardwork or time trying to use or implement.

Beyond terrible. Do not waste your time

Pros

None. Beyond bad. The other programs are much better even with some frustation. This is easily the worst.

Cons

1. Nextgen customer service for implentation is an absolute joke. I had spoken to so many different employees and none seem to know what they are doing. Common answer to questions and you are placed on hold while they ask someone else or transferred to the next employee. 2. Difficult to set up. Eclinicals, practice fusion, and athena got it right. Next gen is so wrong. If you are going to...

DN

Diana N.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Worst RCM and Customer Service

Horrible experience.

Pros

Did not like. We switched from server based NexGen to MediTouch/Healthfusion in 2013. Unfortunately, NextGen bought out the company.

Cons

Overall, the software works. However, the company forces you into auto renew yearly contracts. Even when we tried to cancel the RCM company a month before the service was set to renew (which technically the Go Live date was two months after notification), they made excuses not to cancel. First it was that we did not cancel. Then it was that we did not cancel with Clinic Anywhere. Then it was that the...

JN

Jennifer N.

NextGen has been easy to learn and has grown with the changes that occur in the medical field.

We transitioned from paper charts to this EHR. The process was challenging but nextgen navigated us through all of the ups and downs it takes to get through scanning paper records and training staff. We have improved all processes since the initial implementation. We have from scheduling on the front end to the billing and statements on the back end we improved those processes. We took our antiquated...

Pros

The ability to track authorizations using tasking and worklog as patient portal and how the messages easily populate into the front desk inbox. Patient portal can easily route the messages appropriately. And last, the ability to customize it to the needs of our specific practices slash specialty!

Cons

The ongoing upgrades although I know that is necessary for any EHR. Also there is no "reschedule" option for appointments. You can cancel then rebook and look at reschedule history but I personally like a reschedule button then follow the sequence needed.

AS

Ashley S.

Medical Practice, 11-50 employees

NextGen

Pros

The system is pretty easy to use. There are multiple ways to do pretty much everything in the system. Very rarely does the system go down.

Cons

Easy to delete some things. The system seems slow frequently but it is fixed fairly quickly.

Tina C.

Pros and Cons

The only thing that it really solved is my doctor can dictate his note into the system the way he wanted to. But as far as the PM side, I would not choose this software again. It's not streamlined or user friendly as the demo's show and through training.

Pros

I purchased this software a little over a year ago and I still struggle with it from the PM side. The EHR side I do not work with a lot personally but my staff and doctors seem to like it pretty good. The scheduler is easy to read. Billing has a lot ways to track denials, rejections etc.

Cons

There are a lot of things that could be improved with the billing side. So many steps to make any corrections with payment postings. Constantly have to go from keyboard to clicking with the mouse instead of just clicking the "enter" key. May seem trivial but it does interrupt the stream of things.

SW

Shirley W.

Financial Services, 11-50 employees

Not what we were hoping for

We have about eight months into this software and are still struggling with very basic issues such as claims not making it to the carrier and reports not functioning to our (or our clients') level of expectation. I cannot report on many fields in the system and despite being told in the beginning that their reporting tool was being enhanced and we could report on individual fields, and spend additional...

Pros

Autoposting is fantastic. We find it does it correctly close to 100% of the time. When the system cannot effectively autopost, it "flags" the RA so that you can address it individually. When we initially converted, we found that importing patient demographics was refreshingly simple and something we could do on our own without additional costs. Patient demographics are easy to enter and maintain.

Cons

Reporting is completely ineffective. Canned reports don't balance against each other, and it's hard to quantify values. Not much assistance from Customer Service, although they do try to be helpful. EDI process has been nothing short of challenging. From enrollment issues in the beginning to claims submission and follow-up issues, we are finding as we work AR several months later we're still having...

NH

Nathan H.

Hospital & Health Care, 1-10 employees

NextGen is not user friendly

I was unhappy with the product because it slowed me down and required so much excess minutia in button clicking and scrolling. Overall it is a very inconvenient software to use. Eventually I became accustomed to it, but you realize how bad it is once you switch to a better software

Pros

The layout is fairly readable. Sometimes it is nice to click on a box and have it instantly bring up a table to select different options, but it is generally annoying and difficult to customize.

Cons

Excessive tabs, scrolling, and button-clicking. It is very time-consuming to complete exam charts due to the poor layout design of the system. The layout design does not utilize monitor real estate very well.

VK

Vipul K.

family physician review

I'm overall happy. Every EHR system has its pros and cons, but I believe Nextgen Office has a very good combination of ease of use and overall cost.

Pros

It is very easy to complete my notes at the time of examination of the patients

Cons

whenever an upgrade or maintenance is completed over a weekend, many times we run into problems coming back to work on that Monday. For examples, slowness, screen freezes up, etc. The latest incident was this past weekend. It was eventually corrected on the Monday, but it slows us down.

BW

Barry W.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Get to know it

Took a while to learn the system, but in’s you learn the ins and outs of navigation it a breeze

Pros

Everything thing you need is there. Options are unlimited. Navigation is straight forward once you learn the system. Support is knowlegible and fast.

Cons

Tough to learn. Training team needs a lot to be desired

CN

Claire N.

This reviewer only left a rating

We are a relatively small 6-provider midwifery practice in Anchorage, Alaska. We used Lytec for years, but wanted to move to something web-based that was highly functional, but also affordable for mid-level providers. HealthFusion stood out as one of the only companies that was willing to differentiate in pricing between a group of MD's, and a group of NP's and midwives, as the difference in the...

PI

Phillip I.

This reviewer only left a rating

I've always been intrigued with the idea of automating as much as possible in the doctor's office. In addition, I am very compulsive about the quality of clinical note that I write. Over the years this has created circumstances where I would get behind on my documentation simply because I didn't have the time to write a quality note until the weekend. I have spent a very large amount of time off work...

AV

Ansh V.

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

NextGen Office: A Cloud-Based Productivity Suite

Pros

NextGen Office is a cloud-based office productivity suite that includes tools for word processing, spreadsheet management, and presentation creation. One pro of NextGen Office is that it is accessible from any device with an internet connection, allowing users to work from anywhere and collaborate with colleagues in real time. Additionally, NextGen Office is typically less expensive than traditional office productivity software, as it is subscription-based rather than requiring a one-time purchase. This can make it a more cost-effective solution for businesses and individuals.

Cons

One potential con of NextGen Office is that it may require an internet connection in order to access and use the tools and features of the platform. This could potentially be an issue for users who need to work offline or do not have reliable internet access. Additionally, some users may prefer the more advanced features and customization options available in other office productivity suites, such as Microsoft Office or Google Workspace. As with any software or platform, it is important for users to carefully evaluate the pros and cons to determine if NextGen Office is the right fit for their needs.

JM

Jay M.

About to go live

In my heart I know, after the growing pains, it will be a good product. They have a lot of videos to watch and webinars available. Call back is never as quick as when you need help.

Pros

2015 certified APMA partnered to work with them. NextGen uses APMA registry. Health Fusion was already purchased by NextGen so they aren't going anywhere. Customizable

Cons

1. It looks great when sales people show you but out of the box requires A LOT of customization. Of course, the good is that it is able to be customized - but YOU do it. 2. YOU do all work. They show you but you DO it 3. Many of the verbage they use looks good until you READ it. Then you realize how many changes YOU need to make.

Isaiah N.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

One of the best EHR Vendors around

I have had a wonderful experience with this software and it's auxiliary products. Even when things don't go as expected their customer support has been on top of it.

Pros

I like the immediate transition of the company since the new [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] has taken over. Their commitment to customer success with new edge technologies has been a great shift and kept me as a customer.

Cons

I dislike the fact that they don't have a bigger stack in the hospital industry of healthcare. I think this needs to change particularly with their api and interoperability stack.

MD

Monica D.

Very user friendly

I think NextGen is more user friendly than patient friendly so depending on your needs, it may not be the best system for you. The overall system is extremely clean and easy to navigate. There is a lot of customization and features that you can add in and take out as needed.

Pros

NextGen is by far one of the easiest EHR providers to use. It is extremely user friendly and straightforward. One of my favorite features is how you can set access and abilities for each user and their specific role/responsibilities.

Cons

While I love the clipboard to easily drag and drop appointments, I wish the system showed the original appointment in the patient chart and that it was moved. It happens sometimes but not usually and it would be helpful to note that the appointment was moved. The patient portal and documents definitely need work as they don't always work to their complete functionality.