JobBOSS² Logo
JobBOSS²

Shop management for shops & made-to-order manufacturers

visit website

JobBOSS² Reviews

User ratings

4.2

• Likelihood to recommend8.38/10

See full reviews by rating

It does help create meaningful process instructions that helps the manufacturing process flow more smoothly. It helps track shipments and OTD which is beneficial to our organization.
I like the integration with QuickBooks for small businesses, I recommend this option instead of using the accounting in JobBoss. I am extremley happy with the way this works.
Support staff are nice and helpful and they always walk me through anything I've mucked up. The program is easy to use, it's not real complicated, more user friendly then some packages out there.
This often led to data entry errors, information not available when needed, and frustration throughout the organization.
Use the parts you have correctly, and fully. Get buy in from everyone or you will end up with bad data.
Most of their updates are just "bug fixes. They have an idea portal for users to submit feedback, but I seriously doubt they even consider any of these.

JobBOSS² users...

JobBOSS²-logocaret

JobBOSS²

Kinetic-logocaret

Kinetic

How would you rate JobBOSS²?

E2 Shoptech revolutionized our shop

Pros

1. No IT guy cost to maintain server. 2. Can use inexpensive workstations. We use Chromebooks for data collection. I also use a chromebook for trips. 3. Android/Apple app for tablets that can be used for data collection 4. Also just released an app for employees to check in and out from their phone. You can post stock from this app. 5. Work from anywhere. I was in Minnesota 2 weeks ago during a blizzard. I was at starbucks, posted up next to the window, working on my chromebook with no hick ups. 6. New updated features over the old system. Better reports. More capable Hot Spots. 7. Works the same as the old system, just things are in different spots. 8. Better, more efficient user interface 9. Easier to customize reports 10. Just introduced Dashboards

Cons

1. The subscription price. 2. Cert control in general can be better. 3. Employee Clock in Module is a pain. You cannot edit someone time until they are clocked out.

Excellent Product

We are happy with the software and look forward to the future. The consistent upgrades are promising and encourage users to stay, but we hope that the price does not go up exponentially with the merger with ECI.

Pros

The software is powerful and easy to use a majority of the time. Support is helpful and readily available. We use E2/Jobboss2 for all of our estimating, order management, quoting, purchasing, scheduling, and more. After 6 years with the software it is definitely sustainable and a needed tool in our shop.

Cons

The homepage user interface is difficult to look at. There is a lack of customization options concerning fonts, text size, etc. Right now we have to use third party extensions to try and adjust fonts so some of our users can read the text properly. These extensions tend to cause problems with the logos so navigating becomes a little more difficult if you aren't familiar with where the buttons are. Implementing higher contrast homescreens would be beneficial and/or having an ingrained option for text size customization.

Small Business Looking for Shop Control

Pros

Experience: We are a small family owned business that needed to get ISO certified as a requirement by our customer. We did our research and E2 was the best company to offer shop control and offer ISO certification. We have been using E2 since 2012, we have been ISO certified since 2012. We were eager and became ISO certified within 6 months (take a lot of work and dedication to get it done quickly)....

Cons

Software does not allow you to do multiple things at once, it is very simplistic which might be best. Difficult to customize it to you specific needs, it can be done but there is a cost for that. If you are a start up company this software would be great to get you going with all aspects, if you are an established company you might need to adjust how you do things. We still do all of our accounting and customer quoting from QuickBooks as that works best for our company. We do not use E2 for scheduling as we are a fast pace job shop and things change on the fly and difficult to schedule within the software.

Steve Cate

We can quote jobs so fast with E2 it has become the way we control the pace of our business. If we want to be busier we submit a quote within hours of the RFQ. If we are too busy we take longer to submit quotes. It also helps a lot with scheduling but scheduling is the most difficult function to use.

Pros

Ease of use and good tech support. Very similar to quickbooks

Cons

When allocating stock to jobs, unless it was purchased specifically for that job, it is a bit cumbersome so we had a custom report written to allow the tag number of the inventory to be scanned.

Exact JobBOSS review

Good Service generally and helpful on custom apps. We have done a bunch of them!

Pros

Good first level entry product. Lots of options for expansion. Priced well. works well for most of what we do

Cons

Could be easier to use. Search in fields could search the whole field instead of just in order. Need ability to reschedule batches of jobs or ops. Looking in the future to need better paperless abilities for the floor. This would be drawings, capacity dashboards. Also as things become more connected we are going to need ability to integrate to nesting

Good software

Overall this is the best application for what we need. The customer service is top notch. The custom development team is good.

Pros

I like the fact the you can route, have job costing, accounting, etc all in one area. For this type of application, this is the best software to choose from. Shoptech continues to make improvements and listens to the customers on where to improve.

Cons

The quality module needs improved as well as the scheduling. The repository in unusable.

Would recommend!

I'm very happy with this system and would recommend.

Pros

I think what drew us to this ERP system from the start is the aesthetics. It's got a great color scheme and easy to find your way around the system with the color coded sections and icons. A close second is the flexibility you have with E2. You can pretty easily undo mistakes and recreate packing slips, invoices, etc.

Cons

I want to be able to customize the reports more easily. I don't know how to use their Report Designer and it's not easily self-taught.

Used to use E2

Customer support and product was good. We aren’t a machine shop and are a travel service company. E2 wasn’t offering a Mobil App at the time we needed it. That is why we moved to another software to track all employees time and expenses.

Pros

It was great at linking in-house employee hours jobs.

Cons

It was not easy for employees to change their time during the day/week. Managers had to edit it.

E2 Shop System for Manufacturing

The E2 Shop system has improved our quoting capabilities, which in turn, increases our bottom line. Our company uses Quickbooks and the interface has been consistent and reliable. And again, on the few times where there has been connectivity issues with Quickbooks, E2's technical support was able to resolve the problem very quickly.

Pros

This software is very consistent throughout all modules which makes it very user friendly. Also, the customer service is excellent. Each time I have encountered any issues, I can get a technician on the phone immediately who can remote in and resolve my issue instantly. They are knowledgeable, communicate clearly, and very efficient.

Cons

There is a bit of a lag time in using the online version, but the data is secure and the updates are frequent. Also, it does not retain historical pricing information for cost of materials, which would be useful when analyzing particular material costs.

overall performance of jobboss

Pros

I liked easy to use very accessible and navigate

Cons

some performance issues it freezes up and not want to move to next screen

We think this is the perfect software!

We can't say enough about the outstanding support and customer service from the folks at Shoptech. They have always been an absolute pleasure to work with - extremely responsive and knowledgeable!

Pros

We are a 20 person precision machining and sheet metal fabrication shop. We do everything from prototype to large quantity production runs, and E2 Shop System does everything we need it to! This software follows a part from cradle to grave; from establishing raw material part numbers all the way thru to cash receipts, it ties every aspect of a job together, and is extremely user friendly! I love...

Cons

I can honestly say that I don't feel like there's anything "missing" with this software. Of course, there are the occasional "glitches", but Shoptech is very responsive and quick to come up with a fix! If I HAD to find something to complain about, it would be that the "maintenance fees" are a bit high for the web based version. However, not needing to maintain a server and the expense associated therewith, it's probably close to a wash!

E2 Has Brought Amazing Efficiency to our Company

Efficiency, time saving, and error reduction are the main contributions this system has brought to our business. The error reduction is found in only having to enter information one time, and having that follow through in all of the processes, even on our Open Order Summary. If an initial error is made, it can be corrected at the source and the other paperwork corrected or re-generated. The efficiency and time-savings are self evident in what I've already said.

Pros

E2 has really helped us streamline all of our processes: from initially purchasing, through receiving, invoicing, check writing on the AP side; to processing POs from customers, generating orders, travelers, packing lists, and invoicing on the AR side. I can't imagine going back to what we did before! In the E2 system, once a part number/PO is entered, all of that information travels through all of...

Cons

Honestly, I can't think of any significant cons. We have had the occasional glitch or problem with usage, and there are some areas where I wish we could use the system even more, but for the massive amount of work we do use it for, it is excellent!

Everything you ever NEEDED to know

E2 manages ALL your data from your shop floor through your bookkeeping. The reports have always been the best selling point. Even sorting data becomes easy with the various export methods. You can quickly transfer the report dat to say excell and then again manipulate and massage as need for even more insight. I have always (and will continue to) recommend this sofware to other owners.

Pros

This software has the ability to organize your business workings into manageable reports. Reports that you can tailor to you specific needs. The more you follow the simple rules of E2, the more benefits it can deliver. In my own business no two jobs are alike and no procedures for the jobs are identical yet E2 understands this principle and manages to sort data in such a clear manner as to help you with decisions going forward on all future work. I cannot give a higher recommendation on any other similar system.

Cons

1.) I wish I could control the "Markup Pct." column in the General Tab when entering parts. I feel this item should have strict control - administrator only! Any of my people entering a part has the ability to change this percentage at will. Many an argument has resulted from my becoming aware of someone making an adjustment to this column, I wish I could lock it! 2.) When processing a return, it...

I no longer wanted my shop to run me....

E2 has been great to work with from the very beginning. We do not have an IT department but they helped walk me through the steps of setting up our system. They are always very nice and polite on the phone whenever I have to call. The system is great, with only a few bugs.

Pros

The way that E2 links all the different aspects together with various search functions. I can easily find ANYTHING i'm looking for and run so many reports to find out whatever information I want.

Cons

We still use the Access database version and it's only for PC. Two of us are dedicated Apple users, so that took some figuring out how to continue using Apple products with E2. There are only two reasons I haven't switched to the online hosted version - document type linking, and stable internet service.

Best Software Value

Bottomline, the E2 Shop System is affordable, easy to use, expandable, versatile and worth the price we paid. The support is top notch and the sales process and our data transition was effortless. We purchased our software on February 23, 2005 and have been a customer for over 14 years!! The service and support has remained consistent over that time period and the company seems to be extremely customer focused. I would highly recommend the E2 Shop System.

Pros

What we like most about the E2 Shop System Software is the ability to expand and customize our databases. We purchased the SQL version which allowed us to put the E2 OEM program on steroids. We added custom fields and tables of things that were very specific to our manufacturing business. We also added a custom front end for our customers to access things like detailed part specifications, testing...

Cons

We started off with the Access database version which is limited in scope, but soon realized that the SQL version was much more powerful and allowed unlimited growth.

Finally moving away from E2

Pros

The user interface is easy to understand and navigate. The routing and BOM functions work well. Outgoing paperwork (packing slips, vendor returns, RMAs...etc) are generated easily. The quality module works well for us. Ultimately its a great software for smaller job shops; ie, less than 25 employees.

Cons

The scheduling system doesn't work. The system consistently puts out a schedule that doesn't make sense. We are a quick turn, CNC machining job shop, and need a software that enables us to understand our capacity. Often times, jobs that are due tomorrow are on the second page of the report, and jobs that aren't due for 6 weeks are at the top of the list. We worked with tech support and cannot get a...

New E2 User - Happy So far.

So far - we have been very happy with it. The simplicity of the product is a great. As it matures, perhaps some of the features will grow too. We will continue to support that endeavor by providing as much feedback as we can, and offering new product ideas that can be rolled out into the system.

Pros

Value is great, and the Cloud Based version is easy to step into. E2 appears to be ahead of the curve with getting their platform onto a cloud system for their customers, and it was one of the deciding factors why we went with E2 instead of other ERP system out there. Because of the cloud-based nature of the system, we have enjoyed the frequent updates to the product, it feels like we should never...

Cons

There are not many broad system cons that we have found. We find the system to be simple and that it does what it is supposed to do well. Mostly, we have noticed over the past 10 months features we wish were included making E2 a more feature rich system. For example, inventory management could be more feature rich, including categories for non-inventory items (e.g. tooling, etc.) as a default option...

The Perfect Manufacturing Software

We have been using E2 for well over 16 years and so far we love it. We have used other systems and this one just seed to get it right. In that time we have only had a handful of issues of which most were fixed in minutes and all we had to do was call Tech Support and explain what was not working. The customer and technical support staff are extremely knowledgeable in what their software can do and how they can customize it to fit your every need. They have even extra fields set aside for all most every function to carry different data types just in case you have found a data point that they haven't thought of.

Pros

E2 creates a clutter free work space with a simple layout and design. Shop Tech has broken down the manufacturing process to get a true understanding of how our company really operates. The bolt on modules allow for greater control of specific functions in particular departments. We specifically use the Scheduling and Custom Order Import Automation functions. Scheduling give us a top level view,...

Cons

The extra modules do have a cost but they are well worth it. On the plus side of that, E2 will demo the modules with full functionality and if it doesn't incorporate everything that you need you don't have to purchase it.

JobBoss - Simple enough but still lots of horsepower for a smaller job shop

I came on board with my employer in October 2014. They had been using JobBoss for over 10 years. With my ERP background, I quickly discovered that my employer wasn't taking advantage of many of the available utilities, including the Scheduling module. Within 3 months I had all 30 of our machining centers, plus all of the secondary resources and operations, set up and testing completed. Routings...

Pros

Simple navigation, use of Favourites shortcuts, level of complexity is perfect for smaller organizations.

Cons

Would like to be able to access more information directly from the Job (ie from an outside process, be able to access the Purchase Order that is linked to it).

Solid Product with good flexability

Our company has now used JobBOSS for around 4 years. We have found that the user interface is quite intuitive and straightforward to use. This is a plus when training new people on the system. Functionally, it has met most of the needs that we purchased it for. We loved the idea behind the scheduling module, but have found it to not be a good fit with our shop. We are primarily a custom high...

Pros

As someone who does look behind the scenes and works to dig data out of the system, I am impressed with the amount of information that JobBOSS does capture. Additionally, it is quite well organized in its structure. On the front end, the user interface is intuitive and lends itself to easy training.

Cons

Reporting. The stock reports are reasonable for a company that does not need to dig into its data very deeply. But the analysis at deeper levels would either require purchasing many custom reports or have someone on staff that can dig into the data and create custom reports. The scheduling module works best in an environment with minimal chance of perturbation. Systems that have a high degree of variation become hard to model accurately.

One of the best

I have used JobBoss for the last 6 years and it's great for a shop like ours with custom products. It handles everything from the initial customer quote to turning it into a sales order, defining specific jobs and component jobs all the way through shipping and invoicing. The various processes you might need are logically organized into modules which make performing specific tasks easy. The downside...

Pros

The level of detail available about any project, material requirements for the project, routing steps, and tracking of progress. A complete system available to manage every aspect of the shop from scheduling of employees and jobs, payroll, materials, and more. XML support to allow you to use external programs to exchange data with JobBoss.

Cons

Inability to really drill down from a broad overview of projects in the shop down to specific details of a single job. Customer support for using XML extremely limited. Poor documentation on using it. Does not allow you to require completion of a routing step before beginning the next. Ability to track progress is 100% dependent upon employees logging into a job and recording their progress without any enforcement policy within the program.

E2 Shop System for a Job Shop

This software has all of the features necessary to quote a project, purchase for a project, and move the project successfully through the shop from one work station to another, accurately accumulating time as it goes. It will give you insight into your jobs as to estimated performance versus actual performance, it will give you control over your purchasing and a 30,000ft level view of your work center loading. Overall, it has the capabilities to meet a wide variety of manufacturing requirements with good reporting, and useful tools

Pros

The software is pretty easy to use. We can usually get new employees up and running fully on the software with only a couple of days of training. If you implement the time keeping module it allows for excellent review of jobs and verification of timing for your work. By far the best part of E-2 is the support. They have a wide range of support tools including Webex training's, customer support, and even analysts who can help implement, and improve your software usage.

Cons

Like most software it is built around a model that may not exactly match your business model. In this case the issue is Parts vs. Jobs. Our shop tracks jobs through the shop that are composed of multiple parts. E-2 works best if one part is one job. While it is possible to run multi-part jobs you lose some of the functionality of the software when you do. The other limitation is eliminating duplicate data. If you have customers, materials or parts that were duplicated, or just plain created incorrectly, it is cumbersome to remove them from the E-2 system.

9 Year User of E2 Shoptech

Pros

The product is a comprehensive job tracking system. When using the individual "modules" in the correct order in creating parts, quotes, jobs, purchases, shipments, etc. you will be able to trace, track, run reports and get great information. Shoptech as a vendor has always been extremely helpful when you contact them. You will not sit on hold for hours like with some other vendors. You will find both basic information and more extensive information on their website either through webinars, help papers, virtual training classes and also User Discussion Boards. Should you not find the information which you are seeking, their staff is very informative and will not leave you in a bind.

Cons

The vendor is very upfront about what their system will and will not accomplish. I miss my accounting bells and whistles with having real time reporting at my finger tips (however, they do provide a "Quick-view" area in which to get real time data for various areas in the system such as job status, parts/customer/vendor inquiries and information, PO status, etc. The worst issue that I can state is...

E2 is the ERP that gives the big name ERP's a Run for there money!!

Pros

I have used multiple ERP systems some of them rather expensive with a large learning curve, when I went looking for a ERP system for our machine shop, one of the leading criteria was that the ERP would have, or support the AS9100 standard. E2 was the only one that offered a QA module to help create our AS9100 documentation, then as a bonus E2 had a consultant come out and help set up our AS9100 Quality...

Cons

The only Area I have had a challenge with would be the timeclock buzzer, the timeclock portion is provided by one of E2's partners and we recently had the buzzer stop working well, the e2 sofware is pinging the correct signal however the buzzer is not working correctly. So really this doesnt seem to be a E2 issue it is a computerwise issue (computerwise is the timeclock system)

We have used JobBOSS in our Mixmode Jobshop for 5 years.

Pros

The biggest advantage that we see in JobBOSS is that it is well-suited to the small manufacturer and job shop. The modules are functional for our day-to-day operations, which allowed us to standardize and increase our workload and throughput by at least 20%. The interface is user-friendly. We were able to implement the software very quickly compared to the software we were using. The workstations in...

Cons

As good as the program is, there is room for improvement. We think it is just a few enhancements away from greatness. The software has several glitches that have not been fixed in the five years we have been using it. For example, you lose the information you are entering into a job or purchase order if another user is updating a related job or material. Sometimes, the software locks up and has to...