Looker Reviews

4.6

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.61/10

Reviews by rating

This software has the best support chat ever. They are very knowledgeable and helpful in trying to help in whatever situation you find yourself in.
The best thing about looker is that it is user friendly and it is easy to understand and operate.
Overall the experience with Looker has been good and the data analyst who use it are happy.
Small errors are hard to troubleshoot and result in not using the dashboard much. No SQL CLI makes it disappointing for power users.
I tried this product out a while back and was very dissatisfied.
Sometimes it lags when using big data sets, so it takes some time to render the complete report. When building a report dimensions search also get some lag.

Teena B.

Looker allows everyone in your company, even the less tech-savvy, to make data-driven decisions.

We get to force-multiply our impact by making it easy for users in all departments to make data-driven decisions and help allow that to drive their day-to-day.

Pros

I love the customization of Looker, and that you can put large amounts of data into the hands of anyone -- in a way that makes sense [to them]! While their product is great, it speaks volumes to the team. It's an amazing group of people that continue to receive feedback from their customers and iterate time and time again on their product. They truly care about data and their customers, and they want to empower them the best they can.

Cons

When modeling views, I wish you could define better filters for measures but it's limited. There are workarounds, meaning modeling out several additional dimensions to arrive at the measure you need to pull regularly, but it'd be much more efficient to allow for measures to be more nuanced. Large dashboards (with 25+ tiles) can take awhile to load, which is understandable. Once their "merge results" feature is fully rolled out and we're able to save them as new tiles or looks, it should help resolve the need for so many tiles. Neither of these two things are a big deal, and I wouldn't let this deter you from considering this software.

Catherine S.

Information Technology and Services, 501-1,000 employees

Data Models, Security, and Amazing Customer Support

Looker is quickly becoming our go-to for reporting and dashboarding for anything requiring more than one data source (and some that are based on just one). Paired with a kick-ass centralized data warehouse (we use Snowflake), Looker lets us roll things out very quickly (provided our data infrastructure is in good shape). It did take a while to get going with Looker because it lays on top of the existing data infrastructure. Now that we have quite a bit of strong infrastructure in place in our centralized data warehouse, we are able to produce data products in Looker quite quickly.

Pros

Provisioning security allows us to control the user experience (and only show users things they would actually care about). This makes a dashboard or data product rollout far smoother. Additionally, the customer support (especially through the chat interface) is absolutely fantastic. Because Looker creates a custom URL for each explore you're working on, you can share with Customer Support your exact problem and work together to find a solution.

Cons

Looker Sales told us beforehand that it "writes the most performant SQL possible." I have not found this to be the case, as it often casts and does a few other things (I suspect to make it runnable no matter how you've set up your data). There are some limitations on the visualizations, etc., but Looker Customer Service has been super responsive when those come up.

JR

Jo R.

Financial Services, 5,001-10,000 employees

Looker Review

Displeased and frustrated.

Pros

The option to pull a lot of data in an organized fashion.

Cons

This software RARELY works, it's completely glitchy. I use it, well, I attempt to use it, daily. But I continuously receive the No Date to Report message. It completely hinders my job as I need the data from the reporting. Seriously, it is glitchy every single day.

ZW

Zyad W.

Construction, 51-200 employees

Google Looker for your business intelligence

We are using Google Looker to integrate with NetSuite so that we can create some complex reports.

Pros

Google Looker is the best business intelligence tool for your business it can be integrated with many software and tools to collect data and information and reshape them into table, charts, KPIs, and workbooks. I like that it can deal with many data types and can be integrated with many types of servers and systems.

Cons

Google Looker is one of the best tools I have ever used and there is nothing to dislike about it.

WS

Waheed S.

Design your dashboards with Looker

Pros

Google Looker is one of the best data-visualizing tools, it is easy to use, cheap, and flexible. I like the ready-to-use templates that Looker provides. Also, Looker can deal with complex reports and can show KPIs on multiple dimensions.

Cons

Google Looker is a great tool and beneficial for any business type, it is all about its advantages, and in my opinion it does not have any single problem or a disadvantage.

Aleksey D.

Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees

Great tool for for real-time online dashboards

I am able to access monthly and daily reports via Looker dashboards, which are linked directly to our backend database. This allows me to monitor our team's performance in real-time and share valuable insights with my colleagues whenever necessary.

Pros

It brings me great joy to be able to generate and adjust my own dashboards with ease, thanks to the user-friendly self-service approach.

Cons

When you blend data speed seems to go down significantly

MA

Mohammad A.

Most Trust Dashboard.

Looker is good for off-Google data sources, but I think it will be great for users who have their data in Google

Pros

The ability of Looker to integrate with most of the data resources. that what allowed us to combine smoothly and benefit from Dashboard.

Cons

Looker is a cloud-based version only which is what made some challenges for us to guarantee the quality of the internet and stability for accessing the local databases.

AS

Adam S.

One of the best Dashboards

Looker is the best when looker retrieves data from one source.

Pros

Looker is the best data source retriever I have ever used. high level of compatibility with the data sources.

Cons

When linked to using more than one source of information, it results in a slowdown Dashboard.

IC

Ivo C.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 501-1,000 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Looker is The Tool for Data!!!

Pros

Looker is your tool if you're looking for a tool that allows you to create detailed dashboards while being user-friendly, visually attractive, and easy to use. Everything you need when it comes to data, Looker has a solution that will allow you to build great databases and dashboards that will help all business units plan, strategize, and operationalize. There's no better tool in the market.

Cons

Looker is still growing and that means he still doesn’t have the capacity to sync with every tool on the market. So, my only least-liked topic about it will be that.

Henri H.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

Business intelligence data analyzer

Pros

Even non-technical users can analyze data with this software. Very easy to use.

Cons

Impossible to access data without an Internet connection which may hinder remote work.

Retail, 10,001+ employees

Looker converts your data into concrete digital marketing actions

As a digital marketing manager at a specialty fashion retail corporation, I have had the opportunity to use Looker daily. This analytics platform has become an indispensable tool for assessing the effectiveness of our strategies and campaigns.It enables us to make better decisions based on more accurate and personalized data. Its ability to integrate with Tableau expands our analytical capabilities, while its digital marketing-specific features allow us to optimize our SEO and keyword strategies.Although it is important to consider potential delays when solving technical problems, Looker's value to our daily work is undeniable. This platform is highly recommended for all digital marketers looking to maximize their performance and gain actionable insights to improve their strategies.

Pros

Looker allows marketers to create and track custom metrics and specific KPIs, which is extremely useful for evaluating and measuring the success of our initiatives. I can get a detailed view of the performance of our strategies in real-time thanks to its advanced analytical capabilities.Looker's capabilities extend beyond general analysis to include specific functionality for digital marketing. I can analyze SEO and keyword data, identify relevant trends, and evaluate the performance of specific keywords. This data enables me to fine-tune our optimization strategies and increase our visibility in search engines.

Cons

When technical issues, such as reporting issues or data visualization issues, arise, our ability to make informed decisions and respond quickly is jeopardized. Instead of addressing problems and finding solutions directly, we must pause our activities and wait for IT or technical support to intervene and resolve the issues.These delays can have a significant impact on our daily operations' agility. Decisions based on quick, up-to-date analysis are critical in digital marketing, where trends change quickly, and adaptability is critical to success. Delays in resolving technical issues may impair our ability to capitalize on opportunities, adjust strategies, or fix bugs in real-time.

Dheeraj U.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Data analysis is simple using this application

The most cutting-edge method for creating data experiences and products is called Looker. From a user perspective, Looker is incredibly simple to use. Clear filters let you access data that I need to execute my job on a daily basis, especially when I'm retrieving client health scores.

Pros

It is a great delight to strengthen my data analysis system. Scheduling reports is another great way to avoid acting as a middleman between various clients in my opinion. Flexibility, durability, the LookML Semantic layer, dependability, scalability, and the set of tools for modifying data experiences. Very versatile when it comes to writing code and showing tiles; the greatest aspect is the dynamic nature of the results presentation, which makes it easier to examine results while on the go.

Cons

There are fewer things that can be done at the tile level, which limits functionality. Such dynamicness is required for a more thorough dashboarding experience. Less restrictions on things, in my opinion, would allow me to dream a little greater. Additionally, the forecasting function may be improved. Just a bit more conviction in this amazing product would do.

Internet,

We've been using Looker since about an year. Our leadership loves it!

Our business users love the self-serv options that this provides. It drastically cut down the effort our analysts have to spend answering routine questions and allow them to focus more on the value added activities.

Pros

Things I like about this product: 1. Ease of use by our users - very intutive 2. Integration with our big data platform and databases. We use ours with Redshift and Aurora and they take most advantage of both systems. 3. Their super awesome customer support - always available chat who are really good at what they are doing. 4. Custom install options along with their hosted solutions. 5. Their whole team is involved with the product and customers top down. Really appreciate their responsiveness and customer-centric approach.

Cons

We really don't care about visualizations, but that can use some improvement to those who care. The LDAP integration setup is a pain. It works well once it's all setup. There is no roll-back once a version is installed. Work around is to restore from a backup. Would love to be able to do that as sometimes things don't always work the way we are used to and might require a rollback.

MA

Mary A.

Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees

Great product!

Looker has allowed us to make clean, consistent data for all of our campaigns available across our agency and externally to clients. This has significantly sped up the reporting process and increased the amount of time that we've been able to put into actual analysis. Also appreciate that Looker is constantly adding new functionality, and looking forward to see more chart types and integrations with other sources in the future.

Pros

Looker has been a game changer for us. It connects easily to our database and allows internal users to dig into our data and optimize media campaigns without having to write SQL code. The dashboards are easy to create and customize, and the fact that it can be embedded into a website allows us to share with clients without having to mess around with permissions.

Cons

Not exactly a con, but we tend to join most of our tables and clean our data in snowflake rather than Looker, so I can't speak to the advanced develop/derived table features.

rb

ryan b.

Automotive, 501-1,000 employees

Looker review

After months of using it you slowly get more confident in the tool which has a tonne of insights if you can filter down to it.

Pros

The ability to really deep dive into data and match multiple data sets together to find trend lines.Also the platform being compatible with so many datasets!

Cons

It's not the easiest tool to grasp when you first start using it. The ability to view and filter reports from the highest level down to deep niche data should be simplified.

BB

Ben B.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

All your data, visualized

Great data visualization platform that opens up so many options and possibilities.

Pros

Looker's customizable dashboards are the heart and soul of the platform, and the most valuable part in my opinion. I can (and do) create dashboards for almost everything, from customer engagement, to content performance, and even technical metrics of a web application. This freedom to track and visualize almost any data source within a business is just incredible, and well worth the steep learning curve. Looker can aid in team productivity as well. We use quarterly dashboards to track key metrics, so that everyone can see (in real-time!) how our organization is doing. It's very encouraging for the team to actually see progress over time in a chart, rather than just hearing/reading numbers.

Cons

Looker can feel clunky. This is not just because you need to know SQL to really use it well, but because the UI is slow, on occasion. Granted, if your data warehouse is slow/enormous, Looker can only do so much. But even for regular data analytics tasks, it can be sluggish. Also, I do not like some of the predefined formatting for graphs/charts/visuals. The size-to-information ratio seems way off at times, but perhaps this is customizable and I have not discovered the settings yet.

Terence K.

51-200 employees

I work as the lead BI developer and Administrator of Looker at my company.

Pros

For your developers, the customer service is superior. They also do a great job reaching out to your primary users. With respect to frontend users, those using it for simpler data retrieval/review, their interface is rather easy to use and logical to work through. They do a lot to make the system as simple as possible. Only your BI developers and/or data engineering team can clutter the space.

Cons

If you decide to purchase the non-customized version, the color palette Looker uses is rather bland (More noticeable to executives and heavy users-most users will be fine with it though). The company's integrations are rather limited, but supposed to improve with Looker 5 (via the Action Hub). However, it seems that most integrations will require purchasing from third parties, instead of being a Looker hosted and "controlled" solution you purchase through them. That complicates the process.

Internet, 1,001-5,000 employees

A great tool for exploring data

I user Looker every day​ to create dashboards that I share within the company. At the same time I use Looker to analyze​ data on ad hoc requests

Pros

It's really easy to create dashboards and reports. Even though we need to code some things it allows to be really flexible in the way you create and display data.

Cons

I had to learn more technical information, the code, and how to work with development and live versions of the models.

Michael H.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Great Business Intelligence Tool that Makes Business Intelligent

From using Looker along with Looker Studio and other integrations, I believe Looker is one of the great BI tools to use for business-related tasks.

Pros

Some that I like the most about Looker include:1) Data visualization features that provide better accessibility and features for creators to set up their dashboards2) Very ease of use; features are not too complex to learn3) Multiple integrations that help creators connect their work with Looker in a short period of time4) Simplified displays for better visibility and appeal of data display

Cons

Some things that I like least about Looker include:1) Lack of functionality due to product lags2) Limited statistical features3) Integrations sometimes do not work well with Looker because of their limitations i.e. duplicate columns

BW

Balbina W.

Sports, 1,001-5,000 employees

Looker is a very powerful and userfriendly tool

Pros

The models, explores and looks are very easy to navigate once all set up. The SQL runner is a great feature that helps with querying the datasets that are available before diving in and creating explores. Dashboarding and sharing reports are also very easy with Looker. It makes increasing data visibility in the organisation very easy.

Cons

The visualisation features have come a long way over the years but sometimes it is still hard to customise visualisations.

Daniel B.

Great Customer Service

Pros

The looker team has great customer service. They are flexible and easy to reach. The chat feature in the product is awesome, as it quickly connects you to a Customer Success rep who can help you with pretty much anything!

Cons

The cost for this product is quite high compared to other BI tools. Also, this product requires a full time data engineer to keep the backend of the product to build new data models.

Apparel & Fashion, 501-1,000 employees

Empowers entire companies with data with an intuitive software and incredible customer service

Pros

Even non technical people, get excited to use this product once they know how! Customization ability Incredible data visualizations Allows me to automate and optimize processes The friendliest and most helpful customer service

Cons

Loading dashboards can be very slow Validating code can sometimes take forever Occasional bugs make it temporarily go down for the entire company

ER

Eric R.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 501-1,000 employees

Looker is a decent data visualization tool

Looker was an attempt to deliver a single source of truth dashboard to senior leaders. Because much of our data lives in different warehouses, there wasn't one link to click for these people to find this information. Because of the rapidly changing business we were engaged in, Looker became stale quite quickly and we failed to resource it's in-house support, so it didn't end up being very useful.

Pros

Logging in the first time is simple and straightforward. I also had good experiences with chat support to solve small access and navigation issues.

Cons

Looker tables are not easy to dive into. I found them more helpful for high level information and trend identification. Without a team of Data Engineers or Analysts, Looker is a fairly static tool with some canned reports.

Ayesha K.

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Build all your Dashboards with Looker

Great tool for building reports from scratch and creating dashboards to visualize data.

Pros

We have used Google Data studio in the past and now using Looker for creating dashboards and building reports. This has been very useful tool for us to compare data and infer insights out of it. The best part of this tool is the data gets refreshed automatically and the reports can be checked realtime.

Cons

No issues using Looker. It works great and loads data pretty quickly.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

I use Looker every day, all day to make the data actionable.

Being able to distribute limited customized data reports to over 2,000 people!

Pros

They are always improving the product and taking my requests seriously. I have been using it for 2 years, and all of my requests have been met.

Cons

Sometimes the requests take time, and with all the software updates, sometimes the documentation is a little lacking, but support is always there to help.