Alma Reviews

4.15/5 (148 reviews)

Lauren Butterfield

Used for an elementary, has great services, could be improved.

Reviewed 2018-06-24

I LOVE the customer service. They are always willing to work with us and help us adapt the program to what we need. I love the many different reporting features and how they each have a unique description that helps me find exactly what I need. I also like that I can star the reports I frequently use. I like that I am able to easily fill in grades in the "gradebook" tab, as well as having the opportunity to quickly report final grades at the end of the term. I am also happy with the ease in resetting a password for a user who has forgotten theirs as well as the quick ability to change a username. I appreciate that many users can have access to the same information (meaning a student and both of their parents can have their own accounts but access the same information on their child). I think overall I am mostly impressed with Alma's support team, how quickly and professionally they respond, how they will not let me leave the conversation until they are satisfied that all of my questions have been answered and my concerns resolved, and I love that they are constantly updating, making the website better, and then sending out an email with all of the updates and detailed instructions on how to utilize them.

John Martin

Shifting to Alma has positioned us well as we transition our district to competency based learning.

Reviewed 2018-02-27

Alma has a modern interface that is intuitive for our users with all of the information they need right at their fingertips, or one screen away. The student/parent portal is informative and is enabling us to move toward a more paperless registration process. Our teachers love the communication tools built into their grade book that enable them to immediately reach out to a student and their parents without having to jump out of the work they are doing. The report card and grading systems are flexible enough to support both traditional and proficiency-based philosophies. Alma is also proactive in cultivating relationships with third party vendors to add additional functionality to the environment. Alma has also been proactive in monitoring our state reporting requirements and updating our state report templates which is no small task. And Alma's support team is nothing short of amazing. My teachers have the freedom to reach out and get the support they require and that is priceless.

Kathryn Smith

Alma is not providing teachers with and easy to use platform for grading, attendance, etc.

Reviewed 2018-02-23

I like that I can look up any student in our school and see that student's schedule and current information.

Anonymous

It took a little getting used to at first, but I really ended up liking it.

Reviewed 2018-07-12

First of all, I liked how often improvements were made throughout the year. It seemed that ALMA was always looking for ways to continue to improve the software in order to make it more user friendly. As a PE teacher, my grading system is quite different from the classroom teacher. I have 19 different classes (K-6) with about 30 students in each class. Each class would attend PE 2x each week. At first, it was very arduous to submit all the grades, one student at a time, at the end of each term. One of the improvements that occurred during this past school year, was to be able to submit an entire class's grades at the same time! That one change lightened my work load tremendously! And made it so I looked forward to doing grades instead of dreading it!

Katy Buda

The absolute worst year I've had as a professional school counselor.

Reviewed 2018-02-23

none.You can log in quickly. The people who have come in to assist with how horrific this year has been have been mostly humble and at least tried to help.

Ricky D

Love this tool. Love the customer service even more.

Reviewed 2016-03-16

We moved from a very expensive and ridiculously difficult system to this one and it has made things so much easier. So far we use Alma mainly for the Grade Book and Attendance and it works really well. Attendance has gone through some changes since we signed up in September 2015 and this has caused a little confusion but once you understand what's happening (contact support) it's quite simple to use. Don't let this deter you though because I've already been assured that changes are coming. Speaking of which you won't get empty promises from these folks. I've requested a couple of updates since we signed up and some were even implemented within a couple of weeks. Everyone is nice to you when they're trying to get your money. The true test of a company's motives is the way they treat their customers after the sale. Well Alma have passed this test with flying colors. Every user (teacher and admin) has direct access to support so queries are usually dealt with pretty quickly since there is no need for support requests to go through me :) One of the best things you can do when you get started is to go through the online documentation in the support area. Many of my questions were answered right there. Be warned though - you may need to actually read :O As far as I can tell there is no perfect system out there (and I tried a ton of them before I found Alma) but with the constant improvements, beautiful interface and top notch customer support you'd be hard pressed to find a better solution. Creating reports cards was actually enjoyable and teachers were very pleasantly surprised by the simplicity of the process on their end. We also haven't been compelled to adopt all the modules at once. Adopting one small section at a time has made transitioning from our old, very outdated processes quite smooth and I for one can't wait to dive into the other features like parent portals and school fees. You guys have a fan for life here :)

Jenny Hoedeman-Eiteljorg

I have enjoyed the switch to Alma. For the most part, it is user-friendly and intuitive.

Reviewed 2018-03-06

It does not require extensive training to learn how to use; the parent portal gives parents all the info they need at their fingertips; it has centralized all of our student info and made it accessible to all staff who need it; the report card design process is great--you can really customize it to suit your needs; they are constantly releasing updated and improved features based on customer feedback and requests; customer support is always available and very friendly/responsive.

Nikki Myers

Using Alma

Reviewed 2016-03-10

We began using the Alma gradebook last year, and then the Learning Report feature this year. Initial set up of the files and transfers was a little bumpy with customer service at the beginning of the year, so this accounts for 4 instead of 5 stars. From there, the team has really worked to adjust files to our needs, particularly when we come up to report card time. The program still seems relatively new, as the team is building and embedding resources as it goes, and customer service is responsive to requests for new types of reports. I really appreciate the chat feature in the program, to see which customer service members have seen a message in the queue, and that I get an email if I'm not online to see it. One difficulty that has taken some time is the process of loading our state standards. Only national Common Core standards for math and ELA, and the National Science Standards are available for the gradebook side. This meant hours, hours and hours of work on our part to code and format our state standards to send to Alma so that, hopefully soon, they can be uploaded and our teachers can use them. In the meantime, no scores on the gradebook side can be loaded for any subject other than math, ELA, and science, given that we want to use Common Core and NSS standards for those assignments. The process of loading specialized learning targets for report cards was very easy the first term. Since we were learning the process, teachers wanted to create some adjustments to those for the second term, and that required a huge effort on Alma's end, so we've been nervous and eager to see that working and get reports done in time for parents. Likely, now that we've gone through that with them, it would be easier for other schools if needed from this point forward.

Kieran Conrad

I greatly enjoyed the user-friendly interface as compared with Plus Portals: Alma had all I need.

Reviewed 2018-06-25

This was the most user-friendly, aesthetically pleasing learning management platform I have used. The staff seemed friendly and in consistent dialogue for improvement, which puts it ahead of the others I have used.Aside from the user-friendly interface (for faculty, parents, and students), I liked, essentially, how accommodating the site was for my needs. I liked that posting assignments was easy and that eventually the option to duplicate assignments was added. I also like being able to upload files, links, and write (and see clearly!) instructions in the assignment narrative box. Speaking of which, the option to comment thoughtfully on assignments was great.

Nicole Hansen

So easy to use! Great for quick grade updating.

Reviewed 2018-06-21

It is easy to use and it makes it so easy to communicate student performance with parents and administrators. I love how easy it is to use. I can have my students call out scores for homework assignments and be updating them during class time. I also love it as a parent communication tool. With the simple categories and live updates, I can quickly show my parents where their students are struggling simply by updating my gradebook.

Dominick Josso-Martin

Great for standards based grading, but would be much better if they had an app

Reviewed 2018-02-23

-Very easy to grade an assessment on multiple standards -Constantly updating software to make it easier for teachers -Easy to put anecdotal notes on students accounts that parents and teachers can see -It seems that the team at Alma works hard to make any individual changes you might want for your school

April Bentley

Easy to use and provides an enjoyable experience.

Reviewed 2018-05-04

I am able to quickly get in touch with my students at any time regarding any matter that needs to be addressed. I like the fact that this software is simple to use with no prior instructions needed to start. I was able to accurately use the software the same day that I bought it meaning that I was able to really get a grasp on how it works. I also am a fact that I can create a file report for each student and write notes daily to track their progress. This is not something that seems to be common with software, but I appreciate the added touch.

Lindsey Mutscshler

Alma has been great as responding to our requests for improvements and additional features.

Reviewed 2018-03-02

I love the visual simplicity of the grade book and the compatibility with Standards Based Grading. Not many grading softwares have the finesse for options and sophistication within SB. I've also had great response from folks on the team to help fix issues quickly and respond to inquiries.

April Hathaway

People are unhappy thru out the school system, very disappointing.

Reviewed 2018-02-28

Face page has all in one, everything needed for information of a student.Common sense functions, easy to move about. I like the look of the program and is easy to teach to other users. I like how the reports card area is set up, altho we can not print them easily without a pdf converter!

Marsha Knott

New growing company willing to create a highly competitive program for all educational venues.

Reviewed 2018-02-27

Clean and easy to navigate whether on the parent side or on the administrative side. Customer service is also quick to respond when we are in need.

Tyler Proffitt

I've been using alma daily for 3.5 as a teacher and find it to be incredibly user friendly.

Reviewed 2018-02-27

As a teacher, alma makes it very easy for me to keep students and families up to date on student progress.Alma's user interface is easy to navigate every step of the way - from taking attendance to posting and grading assignments to creating and publishing report cards. Features are easy to use and customizable by class. Their customer support team is consistently responsive to requests and does an effective job communicating and offering support for new features.

Yoselin Woffinden

Super simple to Handel and navigate. Makes my life as a teacher easy.

Reviewed 2018-06-27

Able to learn a universal program that could potentially be used at a different school. I LOVE the new and easy way to submit grades. Easy few step process. Before there was a more complex way and now it's a simple three-step process to submit y'all my grades. I have group grades and I LOVE that it separates them by grade.

Karyn Tarver

Awesome Program!

Reviewed 2015-06-11

Pros: Price can't be beat; extremely user friendly; best customer service ever experienced - they listen to your needs and try to give you exactly what you want and they respond immediately; personal training for your school; help available by email and phone; product still being developed so as a customer you have a lot of input; live demo when deciding to use or not Cons: No accounting or student discipline record keeping options; admin privileges are all or nothing - you cannot give someone admin privileges for just one task without giving them access to all admin privileges; product still being developed so had to wait for certain features My experience with Alma has been great! We're a new school, so have an extremely limited budget. We had expected to have to settle for a grading program and Excel or Access for the admin. Alma was the perfect choice for us! They have been so helpful and fast with their customer service. They are new, so are still working out the kinks, but each time they change something, it just makes our use of the program easier. Alma is so user friendly, I could have learned the program by just exploring on my own, but the live tutorial for our school saved me the time. Alma only charges for certain features and even those costs are nominal. There are only a couple more features I'd like to see in Alma, the financial and discipline record keeping. Other than that, it's got everything we have needed this year.

Rima Nasr

using ALMA has been convenient.

Reviewed 2018-06-26

Finding all the information related to students all in one place. The student and parent portals are very useful aspects of ALMA. The ability to communicate, in bulk, with different groups. School announcements is a good feature. Alma Start is a potentially great service.

Cheri Stockinger

Alma Review

Reviewed 2016-10-03

I'm happy with the improvements are have been made. I'd like to see a seating chart for each class. The system could create it by abc's, age, boy/girl or randomly.Can access on-line at home or work.

Christina Walker-Clark

Excited for the future

Reviewed 2016-04-06

Pros-Customer service is great. They work on updates almost every week as their product continues to grow and expand to meet the needs of school districts. Cons-They are developing the transcript and the scheduler component. That is why I rated overall as 4 star instead of 5.(I am a high school counselor). Ease of use is continuing to get better and better with each update they make. It's not that the program is hard to use it is just that occasionally there are a few more clicks you have to make in order to get to where you want to be. However, they have added a few things just in the last week that are making it easier and more efficient to use.(gradebook updates, search bar, etc) Making the jump to Alma was a big leap at the high school because when we started they did not have a scheduler component or a transcript. This made me very nervous as a high school counselor who uses both of these items. However, I was tired of having to track students using a credit worksheet. I know that with a year or two Alma will be were the high school needs them to be. The parents and students have made many comments about how easy it is for them to use their side of Alma. The communication tools within Alma are easy to use and something I use to reach parents/students about different opportunities, scholarships, testing dates, etc. I am excited to be on this journey with Alma and feel like we are headed in the right direction!

Anonymous

Very easy to use an constantly improving

Reviewed 2017-11-10

Much much easier to manage student data than power schoolAlma has a great and beautiful interface and its very easy to use. The support is excellent, easy to access, and very responsive. We wanted to replace Power School because it was difficult to use and felt like it was designed for larger institutions, requiring more resources than we have.

Maria Elisa Vetencourt Pantin

Alma was useful for me as a teacher. It helped me stay organized in my plannings and assessments

Reviewed 2018-06-21

What I liked the most about this Software is that it helps teachers to stay organized in their daily plannings, but also in the evaluation process. This was my first year as a teacher, and I loved using ALMA because I got the chance to put all the information that I needed in that Software. Just by clicking on ALMA I could take attendance, find information about my students, update my plannings, follow the CCSS Standards and upload the grades.

Martha (Sandy) Cassio

Customer support is immediately available-this is a reliable aspect of Alma and the reason I recomme

Reviewed 2018-06-29

Excellent management of student information - excellence in parent communication through Alma.Wide variety of features and uses - also, the immediacy of customer support - when we have suggested the need for new features, these options have been added

Bob Waedekin

A very easy program to set up and use.

Reviewed 2018-06-22

The program is easy to use and has many features to it. I especially like the remote access feature, which makes grading from home possible.