Alma Reviews

Alma

Empower progress. Spark potential.

4.19/5 (182 reviews)

Pros
  • I like the ease of keeping attendance and being able to email the parents. The parents like the ease of checking their children's grades and assignments.Linda K.Read the full review
  • Our school was first drawn to Alma because it combined a good software to meet student, parent, and teacher needs with great value. Customer service is fantastic.Lynette V.Read the full review
  • I am also happy with the ease in resetting a password for a user who has forgotten theirs as well as the quick ability to change a username.Lauren B.Read the full review
Cons
  • It is difficult to adjust the settings of a class once assignments have been entered, and if an assignment is accidentally entered under a wrong category it alters the entire grade.Zach W.Read the full review
  • Hate the reports, most secretaries do not have time to mess with formats and a lot of us do not have the software to even do so, corporations do not want to provide that due to budgeting.April H.Read the full review
  • I am having trouble learning the report card program. I am still receiving training for this but it seems very difficult to have to switch back and forth from one program to another.Linda K.Read the full review
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Theresa Schneiderheinze

Alma Software - The Superstar of Student Information Systems!

Reviewed 2019-03-13

Pros
Alma's ease of use for all stakeholder is top notch. Teachers, parents, students and office personnel can easily navigate through this platform with minimal clicks, all the tools and information you need as a user are right there in front of you. You no longer have to click 4 layers deep to find what you are looking for. Alma also provides an easy way to communicate with all stakeholders. While in the gradebook you can email students and parents, eliminating the need to use a secondary software program. Along with a traditional grading program, Alma provides a true standards/competency based platform. This SIS has grown alongside the change in educational trends, meeting the needs of schools, transitioning their assessment/evaluation practices. Support services for Alma are outstanding. The customer support team is available in the matter of minutes, assisting and answering all questions one might have. The team is extremely knowledgeable, friendly and willing to take an idea you might suggest and make it happen! This support team makes transition/roll over periods stress free!

Cons
Alma's reporting section for state reports and other school information reports still needs to develop. As time goes on I believe Alma will continue to make improvements in this area. Reports are currently available in a a basic excel or csv files. These files work for what we need, but I feel this area could develop more in the future.

James Watson

Glad we're using Alma

Reviewed 2019-06-15

Pros
Unlike other SIS's, Alma actually looks and feels like it was made in the 2010's. The system is solid, and has essentially every feature a smaller school like ours would want (and many more that we don't need to use). The gradebook is excellent, and it's easy to transfer classes and students from year-to-year. Their customer service has been great (we accidentally deleted multiple report cards in different places the other day and they quickly and helpfully solved our issue by restoring to a backup), and they are continually adding features and improving the platform. And the cost has been at least 50% less than quotes we were getting from major competitors. Many reasons to switch to Alma.

Cons
The latest transcripts update was helpful - there are still a couple of features we'd like on the transcripts front, but that's mostly because our school has a unique curriculum. This is totally just a personal preference, but I'd also like to be able to search for classes in the search feature in addition to contacts.

Response from Alma

What incredible feedback, James! Thank you so much and we look forward building on all of your school's successes!

Jenny Hoedeman-Eiteljorg

I have enjoyed the switch to Alma. For the most part, it is user-friendly and intuitive.

Reviewed 2018-03-06

Pros
It does not require extensive training to learn how to use; the parent portal gives parents all the info they need at their fingertips; it has centralized all of our student info and made it accessible to all staff who need it; the report card design process is great--you can really customize it to suit your needs; they are constantly releasing updated and improved features based on customer feedback and requests; customer support is always available and very friendly/responsive.

Cons
The reporting functions are limited--it is frustrating at times not being able to design customized reports or to tweak the built-in reports for your exact needs; teachers have some complaints about gradebook's functionality (although many aspects of the gradebook are much better than our former system--it's tough to find everything you need in one program--there are always going to be tradeoffs); scheduling was a bit of a nightmare (on the other hand, our school's programming is very non-standard and often breaks software); there is no app yet--or even a mobile-friendly view--which is really needed for our population, where a large % of parents use their phones exclusively for internet access.

Lauren Butterfield

Used for an elementary, has great services, could be improved.

Reviewed 2018-06-24

Pros
I LOVE the customer service. They are always willing to work with us and help us adapt the program to what we need. I love the many different reporting features and how they each have a unique description that helps me find exactly what I need. I also like that I can star the reports I frequently use. I like that I am able to easily fill in grades in the "gradebook" tab, as well as having the opportunity to quickly report final grades at the end of the term. I am also happy with the ease in resetting a password for a user who has forgotten theirs as well as the quick ability to change a username. I appreciate that many users can have access to the same information (meaning a student and both of their parents can have their own accounts but access the same information on their child). I think overall I am mostly impressed with Alma's support team, how quickly and professionally they respond, how they will not let me leave the conversation until they are satisfied that all of my questions have been answered and my concerns resolved, and I love that they are constantly updating, making the website better, and then sending out an email with all of the updates and detailed instructions on how to utilize them.

Cons
I feel the website could be slightly more user friendly. There are often times it takes longer than I would like to access the information that I need (a lot of clicking through redundant tabs and not a lot of short cuts). I also wish it was easier for parents to understand the website. I don't like that there is no easy way for a parent to access a student's missing work, instead having to look through each class and assignment to see what has and has not been turned in. I also wish there was a way for us, as administrators and teachers, to see exactly what the parents see. It is hard to give advice and support to a parent when their screen looks different from mine; and I often don't know if they can see everything that I can, like all of the notes and assignment descriptions and what not. Otherwise, I am mostly happy with Alma.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Kay Abbitt

Grading Software

Reviewed 2019-08-28

Pros
ALMA allowed us to do standards based grading in a very efficient and seamless manner. ALMA had Florida standards uploaded for us, so it made it very easy to choose standards for grading. It was very easy to design the template that we wanted to use for our report cards. Responses to questions were almost immediate. ALMA is very intuitive to use - especially for someone like me who is technologically challenged.

Cons
Nothing stands out as a negative. I would be searching to find something that dissatisfied us.

Anonymous

I want to love Alma but...

Reviewed 2020-01-15

I really want to love Alma. There's so much potential but the problems we are running into keep building up and fixes are few and far between. Luckily we only have about 1000 students and a few schools. I don't know how we would manage if we were a larger organization.

Pros
It's the only SIS that looks like it was designed in the past decade. The site itself is easy to use. The basics (scheduling, attendance, calendar, student bios, medical) are all well done, user-friendly, and look great. Gradebook is excellent. Frontline support is helpful.

Cons
Reporting is a nightmare. Reports come in random formats. The descriptions are confusing. The filtering is confusing or doesn't work right. The screen where you choose reports is just a long confusing list. There's no preview of what the report is or looks like. Some information that you'd expect to be readily available (like a student's current grades) require running one of those confusing reports to find. The district portal is useless. New features that have been added (fees, report builder) feel unfinished and lack basic functionality that one would expect. While the front-line support is good, anything that has to go beyond them gets lost in a black hole when sent to "engineering". There are some quirks to the program that just make no sense. Little things here and there.

Response from Alma

Sorry to hear you aren't sharing the common elation of switching to Alma that nearly all of our customers experience.
It sounds as if you may have actually missed out on some introductory training, and we'd love to set that up for you.
As you have chosen to keep your identity anonymous, I cannot flag your concerns to your account manager.
Looking forward to hearing from you soon via Capterra so we can remedy this.

Update: Hello again! It's been almost a month, and we haven't heard back from you yet. We really would like to address your issues. Our customer service staff is ready and waiting!

Likelihood to recommend: 2/10

Maria Elisa Vetencourt Pantin

Alma was useful for me as a teacher. It helped me stay organized in my plannings and assessments

Reviewed 2018-06-21

Pros
What I liked the most about this Software is that it helps teachers to stay organized in their daily plannings, but also in the evaluation process. This was my first year as a teacher, and I loved using ALMA because I got the chance to put all the information that I needed in that Software. Just by clicking on ALMA I could take attendance, find information about my students, update my plannings, follow the CCSS Standards and upload the grades.

Cons
At the beginning of the school year, it was a little complicated for me to understand how ALMA worked. I had to ask many times to the Principal of my school about how to upload my daily plannings and align the assessments to the Standards. However, after a few weeks of practicing, it became easier for me.

Ryan Silverthorne

Principal's opinion (who has used multiple SIS systems)

Reviewed 2019-04-06

I have had the most postive experience dealing with the Alma staff. I work at an International school in Southeast Asia and they will regularly make time to chat online.

Pros
- I love the integration with google classroom. In this way it essentialy forms an SIS and LMS into one. - I love that the staff is so progressive and open to feedback. Really kind people with a passion for education are the type of people I want to work with - I love that they are constantly updating to make the product better based on the feedback of their customers - I love that it is so well laid out and easy to use. People who have used other SIS systems can certainly appreciate this.

Cons
- I would like to see the integration of performance rubrics that can be tied to the gradebook

Randy Wormald, Ed.D.

An SIS to grow with

Reviewed 2019-05-14

The move to Alma has been a great step for our school district. It is simpler and more comprehensive than our old SIS.

Pros
The customer service at Alma is unmatched. They are attentive to the growing needs of school districts and work to try to accommodate feature requests. From the parent side, the interface is simple and clean and has the pertinent information front and center.

Cons
The emergency alerting by phone is an area in need of improvement.

Josh Espinosa

All About That Alma

Used monthly for 1-2 years
Reviewed 2019-10-06

Pros
Alma has been a tremendous upgrade from our previous software. As a faculty and parent, I appreciate the ease of use which Alma brings to our staff and as a parent.

Cons
I am sure there are limitations to this software and at this time, it has been small things which our previous system did and our current system does not do. I am sure they will provide a way to get this updated.

Likelihood to recommend: 9/10

John Martin

Shifting to Alma has positioned us well as we transition our district to competency based learning.

Reviewed 2018-02-27

Pros
Alma has a modern interface that is intuitive for our users with all of the information they need right at their fingertips, or one screen away. The student/parent portal is informative and is enabling us to move toward a more paperless registration process. Our teachers love the communication tools built into their grade book that enable them to immediately reach out to a student and their parents without having to jump out of the work they are doing. The report card and grading systems are flexible enough to support both traditional and proficiency-based philosophies. Alma is also proactive in cultivating relationships with third party vendors to add additional functionality to the environment. Alma has also been proactive in monitoring our state reporting requirements and updating our state report templates which is no small task. And Alma's support team is nothing short of amazing. My teachers have the freedom to reach out and get the support they require and that is priceless.

Cons
There were a few features I would have like that did not come "out of the box" such as robust reporting tools, and built-in scheduling tools. That said, Alma has worked to integrate those into the system and future users will not have that problem. The one other piece that I believe is in process is updating the transcript system so that it employs the same interface as the report card generator.

Anonymous

It took a little getting used to at first, but I really ended up liking it.

Reviewed 2018-07-12

Pros
First of all, I liked how often improvements were made throughout the year. It seemed that ALMA was always looking for ways to continue to improve the software in order to make it more user friendly. As a PE teacher, my grading system is quite different from the classroom teacher. I have 19 different classes (K-6) with about 30 students in each class. Each class would attend PE 2x each week. At first, it was very arduous to submit all the grades, one student at a time, at the end of each term. One of the improvements that occurred during this past school year, was to be able to submit an entire class's grades at the same time! That one change lightened my work load tremendously! And made it so I looked forward to doing grades instead of dreading it!

Cons
As I became more familiar with the features of the software, I became more comfortable using it, but I regret that it took me into my 2nd year using it, to become the most comfortable. Even so, the thing I liked the least about using this software was when I needed to make changes to the lesson details and maneuvering around the different tabs was a but cumbersome to have. Too many steps to have to make the changes I needed to. Hope that makes sense. Thanks!

Lynette VandeKieft

Alma: A Teacher's Point of View

Reviewed 2019-05-15

Our overall experience has been satisfactory. We rarely have the "drama" we dealt with when using our previous software. Keeping up to date more quickly and making changes to make the teacher use more efficient and faster would be of big help.

Pros
Our school was first drawn to Alma because it combined a good software to meet student, parent, and teacher needs with great value. Customer service is fantastic. If any of us ask an online question, help is quick.

Cons
Alma takes a long time to keep up with the times. For example, we have used it several years, but they just added the ability to enter a score on one student's grade book for a given assignment, and then hit enter, and then an automatic opening to the next student's grade to enter. In effect, it now performs well with a number key pad. Entry was singularly entered one a time which was so slow. In addition, there should be a quicker way to approve report cards. Finally, because we want students to monitory their grades, it would be helpful for them to have their own password access for limited viewing, keeping the parent password private for fuller access.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Ricky D

Love this tool. Love the customer service even more.

Reviewed 2016-03-16

We moved from a very expensive and ridiculously difficult system to this one and it has made things so much easier. So far we use Alma mainly for the Grade Book and Attendance and it works really well. Attendance has gone through some changes since we signed up in September 2015 and this has caused a little confusion but once you understand what's happening (contact support) it's quite simple to use. Don't let this deter you though because I've already been assured that changes are coming. Speaking of which you won't get empty promises from these folks. I've requested a couple of updates since we signed up and some were even implemented within a couple of weeks. Everyone is nice to you when they're trying to get your money. The true test of a company's motives is the way they treat their customers after the sale. Well Alma have passed this test with flying colors. Every user (teacher and admin) has direct access to support so queries are usually dealt with pretty quickly since there is no need for support requests to go through me :) One of the best things you can do when you get started is to go through the online documentation in the support area. Many of my questions were answered right there. Be warned though - you may need to actually read :O As far as I can tell there is no perfect system out there (and I tried a ton of them before I found Alma) but with the constant improvements, beautiful interface and top notch customer support you'd be hard pressed to find a better solution. Creating reports cards was actually enjoyable and teachers were very pleasantly surprised by the simplicity of the process on their end. We also haven't been compelled to adopt all the modules at once. Adopting one small section at a time has made transitioning from our old, very outdated processes quite smooth and I for one can't wait to dive into the other features like parent portals and school fees. You guys have a fan for life here :)

Response from Alma

Hi Ricky,

We have LOVED working First Baptist Christian School and we look forward to many more years together! Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. As you said, we are constantly improving the platform and we will keep you updated with any changes.

Thanks!
Elizabeth

Nikki Myers

Using Alma

Reviewed 2016-03-10

We began using the Alma gradebook last year, and then the Learning Report feature this year. Initial set up of the files and transfers was a little bumpy with customer service at the beginning of the year, so this accounts for 4 instead of 5 stars. From there, the team has really worked to adjust files to our needs, particularly when we come up to report card time. The program still seems relatively new, as the team is building and embedding resources as it goes, and customer service is responsive to requests for new types of reports. I really appreciate the chat feature in the program, to see which customer service members have seen a message in the queue, and that I get an email if I'm not online to see it. One difficulty that has taken some time is the process of loading our state standards. Only national Common Core standards for math and ELA, and the National Science Standards are available for the gradebook side. This meant hours, hours and hours of work on our part to code and format our state standards to send to Alma so that, hopefully soon, they can be uploaded and our teachers can use them. In the meantime, no scores on the gradebook side can be loaded for any subject other than math, ELA, and science, given that we want to use Common Core and NSS standards for those assignments. The process of loading specialized learning targets for report cards was very easy the first term. Since we were learning the process, teachers wanted to create some adjustments to those for the second term, and that required a huge effort on Alma's end, so we've been nervous and eager to see that working and get reports done in time for parents. Likely, now that we've gone through that with them, it would be easier for other schools if needed from this point forward.

Response from Alma

We are working all of the time to improve our custom and state standards import process. We appreciate not only your patience with the process but your feedback. We also hope to make updating academic targets smoother - as we know these are constantly evolving at schools. We will keep you updated on any progress we make. Thanks again for the feedback!

Kieran Conrad

I greatly enjoyed the user-friendly interface as compared with Plus Portals: Alma had all I need.

Reviewed 2018-06-25

This was the most user-friendly, aesthetically pleasing learning management platform I have used. The staff seemed friendly and in consistent dialogue for improvement, which puts it ahead of the others I have used.

Pros
Aside from the user-friendly interface (for faculty, parents, and students), I liked, essentially, how accommodating the site was for my needs. I liked that posting assignments was easy and that eventually the option to duplicate assignments was added. I also like being able to upload files, links, and write (and see clearly!) instructions in the assignment narrative box. Speaking of which, the option to comment thoughtfully on assignments was great.

Cons
I remember wishing that I wanted the duplicate feature to duplicate everything as it only copied some of the information, not all of it. I also wish teachers could set preferences, like a memory or default setting, so that I wouldn't have to click between tabs if that was not a frequently used tab (for instance, clicking "details" instead of seeing the student roster when checking assignments).

Nicole Hansen

So easy to use! Great for quick grade updating.

Reviewed 2018-06-21

It is easy to use and it makes it so easy to communicate student performance with parents and administrators.

Pros
I love how easy it is to use. I can have my students call out scores for homework assignments and be updating them during class time. I also love it as a parent communication tool. With the simple categories and live updates, I can quickly show my parents where their students are struggling simply by updating my gradebook.

Cons
I wish the assignments in each subject were sorted with the most recent assignments right next to the students names. I also wish there was a feature that would allow you to email a particular group or class right from the main screen instead of having to open that class.

Dominick Josso-Martin

Great for standards based grading, but would be much better if they had an app

Reviewed 2018-02-23

Pros
-Very easy to grade an assessment on multiple standards -Constantly updating software to make it easier for teachers -Easy to put anecdotal notes on students accounts that parents and teachers can see -It seems that the team at Alma works hard to make any individual changes you might want for your school

Cons
-There is no app for teachers, this is a major downside for schools where teachers do a lot on their phone. I miss the days when I used to be able to easily take attendance or access student information from my phone -The grading portal still has some technological kinks that need to be worked out. Sometimes you will click on one student's name and you end up accidentally entering grades for another because the screen jumps. Once you do this it is difficult to delete the grade unless you mark the assignment N/A.

Katy Buda

The absolute worst year I've had as a professional school counselor.

none.

Pros
You can log in quickly. The people who have come in to assist with how horrific this year has been have been mostly humble and at least tried to help.

Cons
Absolutely impossible to have what we need at our hands as high school counselors. Everything is laborious or actually impossible to do. It has taken MONTHS to get even tiny bits of advances to make this usable. Transcripts, which are an essential piece for our kids, took 6 months to have functioning, and they're still inaccurate. Scheduling is months behind because the programming is inept for a school this size. It lacks confidentiality and privacy that's important for our students. Household units are not available, access to other buildings makes it impossible to know who has siblings and other people living in their home, which poses a safety issue when filing reports to CPS, report cards are still completely wrong and inaccurate. I could truly go on for an awfully long time, but I digress. At the end of the day, I think I can vouch for every person in my building when I say that this program was rolled out in a deplorable way, changes and improvements are slow and sometimes non-existent, and it's made me reconsider even working in this corporation due to how terrible this system is. A program in its infancy has been detrimental to every single stakeholder in this corporation, and I've been disappointed since the first day of training in August.

Response from Alma

We truly appreciate you taking the time to help us improve the Alma experience. Change can be difficult, and while most Alma users have had positive experiences, we are continuously improving because our mission of serving educators like you is our life work. Along those lines, we have the industry's leading response time to customer inquiries by a factor of 10.
We love working with your corporation because of the positive impact it is having on its students -- and we know its an organization you can be proud to be a part of.
Other similarly-sized districts in the Alma family currently enjoy the flexibility, security and power our platform provides - and we'd love to explore how we can bring you to that same opinion.
Your account manager will reach out to set up a time to go over (and fix) any issues needing attention.

Likelihood to recommend: 0/10

Kathryn Smith

Alma is not providing teachers with and easy to use platform for grading, attendance, etc.

Reviewed 2018-02-23

Pros
I like that I can look up any student in our school and see that student's schedule and current information.

Cons
1. Our students (Seniors especially) cannot get their current transcripts. This is troubling for many reasons. Perhaps the most important being their choices for scholarships and higher education will be affected by this. Students cannot apply for financial assistance through scholarships without current transcripts. I have personally spoken with at least three students who have missed out on scholarship opportunities, simply because they cannot access current transcripts. 2. Can't see overall student GPA 3. Can't see student class rank 4. Student Mobile usage is very confusing. Can't see grades the way they should. 5. Ease of access is horrible 6. No mobile app, and mobile website is very difficult to read 7. Not organized well 8. When emailing "all students" I cannot exclude certain classes; I can't email multiple classes at once without including EVERYONE 9. For attendance, it is very confusing. If a student is marked present first class, they are marked present for the entire day. This was clearly set up for use in an Elementary School. High School is different. We need to be able to see where our students are throughout the day. 10. Inputting grades takes many more steps than our previous system. There is no way to toggle between students with the keyboard. 11. There should be a way to block certain people from seeing certain information. At the beginning of the school year, student Social Security Numbers were viewable by any teacher or staff in our building.

Response from Alma

Below we briefly address each of your concerns. But, because your satisfaction is our starting point, we will also follow-up for a deeper conversation about this. We want you to be elated with Alma!
#1, 2, 3, 9, 10, 11) We do provide the functionality you're describing and would love to review each item with you. Based on the information you provided, these concerns may indicate further training is needed. Your Account Manager will be in touch soon or you can always contact us through our in-app support.
#5 and 7) Most of Alma¿s users love our ease-of-use, navigation, and access, but as with all things, we can/will keep getting better. Let¿s discuss further.
#4 and 6) Depending on the phone size and the gradebook in use, the experience for viewing student grades on a phone can be less than ideal. We are actively exploring more options.
#8) Great idea! This is the first time we have heard this, so thank you for bringing it to our attention. Your suggestion has been logged

Likelihood to recommend: 1/10

April Bentley

Easy to use and provides an enjoyable experience.

Reviewed 2018-05-04

I am able to quickly get in touch with my students at any time regarding any matter that needs to be addressed.

Pros
I like the fact that this software is simple to use with no prior instructions needed to start. I was able to accurately use the software the same day that I bought it meaning that I was able to really get a grasp on how it works. I also am a fact that I can create a file report for each student and write notes daily to track their progress. This is not something that seems to be common with software, but I appreciate the added touch.

Cons
I wish that the software gave me the ability to see absences as well as when students have been tardy. Having this information handy would allow me to file my reports more accurately. I also am not a fan of the price tag, I feel as though it could be cheaper.

Likelihood to recommend: 6/10

Lindsey Mutscshler

Alma has been great as responding to our requests for improvements and additional features.

Reviewed 2018-03-02

Pros
I love the visual simplicity of the grade book and the compatibility with Standards Based Grading. Not many grading softwares have the finesse for options and sophistication within SB. I've also had great response from folks on the team to help fix issues quickly and respond to inquiries.

Cons
We are still figuring out how to set up out report card to best reflect SBG. Since our school writes narrative reports in addition to assigning standards, the option for narrative reports still needs some work. Our teachers write extensive narrative reports, and currently, the text options are pretty minimal, including text edit features when copying and pasting from an outside document. Additionally, we'd LOVE to see compatibility with Google Classroom for assignments and the grade book.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Anonymous

Very easy to use an constantly improving

Reviewed 2017-11-10

Much much easier to manage student data than power school

Pros
Alma has a great and beautiful interface and its very easy to use. The support is excellent, easy to access, and very responsive. We wanted to replace Power School because it was difficult to use and felt like it was designed for larger institutions, requiring more resources than we have.

Cons
When the product was new it wasn't as robust as other similar software but they take user feedback and constantly add new features.

Response from Alma

Thank you so much for taking the time to send us a review! It's great to hear how user friendly you find Alma to be, and yes, we are constantly improving. New updates each week!

Thanks again!

Marsha Knott

New growing company willing to create a highly competitive program for all educational venues.

Reviewed 2018-02-27

Pros
Clean and easy to navigate whether on the parent side or on the administrative side. Customer service is also quick to respond when we are in need.

Cons
Queries of information cannot be easily accessible unless requested. School families are unable to access their own personal information to edit. Families would also like to be able to see contact information for families within their child's class. It would be beneficial if families could email their student's parents just as teachers can so that they may plan for upcoming parties, field trips, etc. without contacting the school for names, emails, etc.

Tyler Proffitt

I've been using alma daily for 3.5 as a teacher and find it to be incredibly user friendly.

Reviewed 2018-02-27

As a teacher, alma makes it very easy for me to keep students and families up to date on student progress.

Pros
Alma's user interface is easy to navigate every step of the way - from taking attendance to posting and grading assignments to creating and publishing report cards. Features are easy to use and customizable by class. Their customer support team is consistently responsive to requests and does an effective job communicating and offering support for new features.

Cons
In the future, I'd love to see alma develop an app for mobile devices or a more user-friendly mobile version of the website.