Sonix  Logo

Automatically convert audio & video to text in minutes

Sonix Reviews

Suggested alternatives

happy-scribe
gong-io
calljourneyci

Easy to use and web site offers good help. Customer service is responsive and helpful.
The great thing about SONIX is the interface and transcription are easy and quick. Several of us in different cities needed access to the transcription and it was easy to share.
I loved the option to upload videos that are in other languages and Sonix was able to transcribe it. Much better than other softwares out there today.
Occasionally, but not often, it seems to crash, but no data is lost and all I have to do to fix the system is to return to home page and re-click on the recording.
I would still try to simplify it because it's confusing. You get charged a membership fee which then gives you access to transcription services which are billed based on usage.

Diane H.

President

Ideal for podcast transcription

Transcript

Diane: Hi, I'm Diane. I'm a business advisor. I give Sonix a rating of four. And for more reviews like...

TG

TOM G.

Founder

E-Learning, self-employed

Great tool, saved me a lot of time and money

Transcript

Tom G.: Hi, I'm Tom. I'm a small business owner, and I give a rating of Sonix five out of five. And if...

Elina L.

Smart, Practical, Efficient!

Pros

Wow. I'm so impressed with this product! Since using Sonix.ai I've been able to edit audio transcriptions (for user research interviews) at lightning speed compared to traditional software. I especially love how intuitive the controls are to pick up - there was literally 0 time spent to learn it! I also really enjoy the ability to dive into the anatomy of the transcript - being able to visualize and break down the files...like automatically detect the software's confidence levels in picking up a word. Makes this an even more powerful tool. Highly recommended - this is one of my favorite arsenal of tools online!

Computer Games, 1-10 employees

Sonix is a full-preview of Future Technology, it becomes really amazing to transcribe audios

I am a youtuber and I upload short movies based on Video Games and it generally becomes compulsory for me to give subtitles to the videos manually and Sonix works for me very well. Also, I am a part-time writer and Blogger and most of the times, it becomes boring to write those long lines and pages, here again Sonix works for me to transcribe my own recorded audio files.

Pros

I am a Game Developer and film-maker, I generally upload my game videos on YouTube and it is really very much important for me to provide subtitles on my videos but it becomes way boring to write all the subtitles when the Video is really lengthy and sometimes it also becomes impossible to write everything in time, So in this case Sonix is the best software for me to use and transcribe all my Audio...

Cons

Though, there's nothing bad about Sonix but there could be some instances when transcribing an audio becomes hard as it becomes laggy when using a heavy audio file. Also, they should provide a longer trial duration so that newbies can learn if they should use it or not.

Adrian H.

Accounting, 1-10 employees

2 hours of interview now typed rubbish

Living in the UK I used this to transcribe a 2 hour discussion about local history. Lapel mics meant it was a good quality recording. When selecting the language of the audio I chose English. The only option had a USA flag. I wonder if results might be better with an American voice? After paying $20 - a price I was happy to pay - I have a long transcript of rubbish. It bears little resemblance to...

Pros

Easy to set up account and upload audio file. Good range of pricing options including for occasional user. Speed of results. A two hour interview (lapel mics for the 2 speakers) was back to me inside the hour.

Cons

The most important bit - very inaccurate typed record. Correcting it would take me much longer than starting and finishing the job myself.

CL

Chris L.

Research, 5,001-10,000 employees

Used other for 1-2 years

The people from Sonix are life savers

I used Sonix for transcription of interviews and it exceeded my expectations. I love it.

Pros

The user interface works intuitively and smooth. Over the time that I used Sonix that introduced new features and everytime it was an improvement. One improvement that I loved was that the audio would stop playing when you edit the text and start playing immediately after. This really sped up the process of finalizing the transcripts. Customer service (just for questions, I never had any complaints) was super responsive and friendly. The quality of the transcriptions is really good. I cannot recommend Sonix enough.

Cons

In my experience, there were 2 types of situations where the quality of the transcriptions suffered. The first is when there are more than 2 speakers, especially when some interviewees were sitting around a large table and therefore sat physically too far from my recorder. In those cases, the first couple of words or a sentence from a new speaker would often not be picked up. The second is when there...

MC

Mauro C.

Design, 501-1,000 employees

It was amazing how quickly and accurately the audio file was completed!

Saves so much time and effort. I will have to work manually to edit but that's so much better than having to start from scratch.

Pros

The speaker on the uploaded 15 minutes audio file sometimes garbled or slurred his words, and yet Sonix was able to complete a transcription that was 90 % accurate in only 3 min. The audio editor is remarkable - I've never seen anything like it. Each word in the transcription is highlighted perfectly in sync as the audio is played. You can click the mouse in between a few words before the current word...

Cons

Just a little more time and I will get completely used to the editor interface. It's already very intuitive, but I just have to increase my "muscle memory" to hit tab to start and stop, click here to start somewhere new, etc. Really, no cons at all to speak of. Can't wait to think of new features for Sonix to add. I'm sure they will be very responsivee to customer requests

Media Production, 1-10 employees

Sonix is our go-to transcription service

Sonix has been a huge help for our small media production team to create and edit transcripts for documentary film projects. The pricing is great compared to other services, especially if you're working with larger volumes, and the editing interface is simply a pleasure to use.

Pros

Sonix has the best online editor of any transcription service we've tried. I love all the export format options and organizational abilities. Sonix makes the task of creating interview transcripts simple and fun.

Cons

I wish there was a little more control over how SRT subtitles are exported, especially the ability to automatically split subtitles at the end of sentences. Also, it would be nice if Sonix could better identify speakers automatically.

Writing and Editing, self-employed

The best transcription software I've used to date

Excellent!

Pros

All the languages that it can recognise and the speed and accuracy of the speech recognition and time stamps

Cons

I've only used the automatic translation once and, besides I was told that the translation is robotic and required a little bit of editing) the timing of the subtitles was affected to the point they were appearing at the wrong times

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Easy to use for quick transcripts

Very positive! I'm certainly keeping my account and will probably resubscribe to a monthly service if another project presents itself to need a lot of audio transcription in a short period of time.

Pros

Quick upload, transcription, and access for fast turnaround and ability to share with other users. Having both a subscription and per/hour pricing model fits my needs. When a project requires a lot of transcription in a short period of time, I switch to the subscription model, and then just use per/hour model for other odds and ends.

Cons

Accuracy wasn't great and it took a while to understand the editing features. Overall, though, it met my needs to find and locate specific aspects of the transcription and just focus on those elements. For a full, accurate transcription, another service might be more accurate (but also more expensive)

RH

Ray H.

Higher Education, 5,001-10,000 employees

Used other for less than 6 months

Transcription made so much easier in a fraction of the time

The support from the Sonix team has been excellent with solving both technical questions related to the product as well as providing advice and payment options to suit my situation as an educator. Very impressive!

Pros

The software is very intuitive to use and contains really helpful features like being able to review and correct details in the transcript while listening to the audio. This is the first software I have used that recognises and differentiates between multiple voices with a functional level of accuracy.

Cons

This hardly seems like a disadvantage however, there is an investment of time required in reviewing and correcting 'misinterpretations' of words and phrases in the produced transcript. You also need to manually give an identity to the speaker of each transcribed passage of text though this takes a fraction of the time and cost expended on manual transcription.

María Magdalena Z.

Not the best, but worth a try!

Pros

It's an really good web editor. Innovative with SEO friendly media embeds, and provides good automated service with a nice group of editing tools.

Cons

Prices are high prices and its performance could be iffy, unreliable if you work with complex files.

Sonix works best with high quality audio. If you audio has background noise, people talking over each other, or strong accents, the resulting transcript will be affected. We published this page to help users capture clear audio: https://sonix.ai/greataudio

BO

Blake O.

Accounting, self-employed

Super fast transcriptions with easy editing and a great embedded player

Overall, Sonix is the best way I know of to get my podcast out there for a wider audience. For the latest episode twice as many people read/listened to the episode using the Sonix player as downloaded and listened in a podcast app like Apple Podcasts. So we tripled our listeners to that episode thanks to Sonix.

Pros

I love the embedded transcript / audio player. I use Sonix to transcribe podcast episodes and embed the transcript on my website. It's way better than a traditional transcription service because visitors to my site can click anywhere in the transcript to hear the audio at exactly that moment. I also get the benefit of the transcript being indexed by Google.

Cons

Currently they don't have an integrated human review/editing process. I use a contractor to clean up the transcripts because the AI isn't 100% perfect yet — no AI is at this point that I know of. So it takes a little more effort than a service such as Rev to get the transcript perfect. But the price ends up being the same or less, and the interactive transcript is something you just don't get with other services and makes it worth it.

DK

Dip K.

Financial Services, 11-50 employees

Fast, automated and highly secure.

I was looking for a cheap and effective audio-to-text converter and I found Sonix. It is simple to use, affordable, and generates transcription within a few minutes.

Pros

It is easy to use and we can use it to create accurate transcription in multiple languages from any audio we have but only the requirement is the audio must be noise free. I found that it is very user-friendly and we can generate transcription very quickly.

Cons

It helps us to improve the user experience with highly accurate subtitles for our every video.

DH

Diane H.

Ideal for podcast transcription

Pros

This software integrates with Zoom so seamlessly. Shortly after I finish a recording I get an email telling me that the transcription is complete. And there are time stamps with audio clips that make it so easy to repurpose for marketing.

Cons

The only thing I can think of is an integration I tried to do that didn't work. It's stuck and I can't figure out how to cancel it.

OF

Olivier F.

Media Production, self-employed

Used other for less than 6 months

A godsend service boosting my productivity and alleviating a major source of stress in my life.

A transcription that normally takes me a whole day or sometimes two in my first language is over in 1 or 2 hours (depending on the length of the clip). I have used audio clips and video clips and have yet to see any major issues there. Granted most of the sound in these clips is taken with directional microphones, I am still impressed at how much it is able to pick up.

Pros

I am very impressed at the quality of the transcriptions. I have so far used it in three languages (English, Japanese and French) and they have been the most accurate I have seen around. As a freelancer here in Tokyo I also like the option of buying time by the hour as I don’t always need to transcribe on a regular basis. Also love the time code option

Cons

There were a few weird linguistic glitches which needed to be cleaned up later (such as foreign loan words in Japanese - such as diversity and inclusion which came out as totally different words) but that is sort of to expected for automatic transcriptions. (I presume this will improve over time?).

mr

michal r.

Research, self-employed

Time Saver!

I conduct research at the University.

Pros

Sonix saved me so much time! I used to have to hire and train students to transcribe my lengthy interviews. Now I just upload to Sonix and within minutes get a full transcript. I love that it recognizes when the speakers switch and even edits a lot of the stutters of language right out.

Cons

It would be great if I could use my transcription pedal with this. I think there is a way but it was not easy to figure out (I spent hours and never got it working). I wish there was a better integration with nvivo.

NS

Nicholas S.

Civic & Social Organization, 1-10 employees

Gamechanger technology at affordable prices

Superb.

Pros

Intuitive functionality and ease of use. Excellent accuracy overall.

Cons

Some audio transcription was off, though in each case Sonix could do little about it due to signal to noise issues (too much background noise or poor microphones present).

ma

mpako a.

Translation and Localization, 1-10 employees

Transcription

Awesome

Pros

The product is easy to use, and I recommend it. Easy to use software

DV

David V.

Internet, self-employed

Used other for less than 6 months

Huge time-saver for transcribing videos

A very straightforward and smooth process: create (trial) account -> upload video(s) -> choose the source language -> get notified by email when the transcription is ready -> easily edit while quickly navigating in the video / or script -> download.

Pros

Upload a video. Wait a tiny bit for the magic to happen. And there it is: a rough transcript of the video which you can easily adapt in user friendly interface. The level of transcription is highly accurate, but of course depends on the quality of the sound. And let's not forget, about the pronunciation of the persons talking. The option to download as doc, srt and other formats makes the rest of the editing flow even faster. Transcribing video to text could not be more convenient.

Cons

Nor remarks, I did not encounter any disadvantage or flaw.

BD

Barret D.

Used other for 1-2 years

Very good accuracy. Quick turnover. Easily edited. Saves hours.

Pros

I love how this saves me so much time. That is the biggest benefit for me. In thirty minutes, I can do what would take me 8 hours otherwise.

Cons

The only thing that there is not to like is when some words don't get recognized. Understandably, it's going to miss some here and there.

CL

Conor L.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, self-employed

Great experience using this product so far. Sonix has been reliable and accurate every time.

I've been using it for recording interviews. The recording, transcribing, and editing functions are really great.

Pros

I love the editing function. Being able to click on a word and have the audio automatically sync with where you've clicked is a very useful feature. I also just really like the user-interface. I've been using this for journalism interviews, and it's been really reliable.

Cons

There were some problems with downloading the audio using a firefox browser. I couldn't get it to work. But actually this ended up being a "pro" after all, because it made me realize how awesome the support is at sonix: I emailed them about it and they got back to me with helpful feedback and worked it out right away. Great stuff.

GE

George E.

E-Learning, 11-50 employees

One of the best transcription + caption software out there. Can improve on value for money

Overall experience was good.They need to however improve their value for money credentials if they want repeat customers/annual membership customers.

Pros

95% accurate transcription + ease of inserting/burning in captions

Cons

A bit pricey for what it does vs. competition.

CD

Charles D.

Public Safety, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for less than 6 months

Phenomenally accurate AI transcription

Great. I will use it again, for webinar translations. I am sure

Pros

Totally phenomenal AI transcription. Close to 100% accurate for our 2 hour meetings.

Cons

The summaries on Sonix Pro were not as complete as Zoom Pros. I am sure that Sonix could make better summaries, because their AI transcription was the best by far. They should have two levels of summaries, the longer one to gather more elaborative details and really separate its level of content more distinctly from bullet points. So there would be Levels I and II in summarizations and also have bullet points available. I could be wrong as I did not have the opportunity to see if that is actually possible to modify in Sonix. Our agency's secretary needed the summary, only for meeting notes.

CD

Cathy D.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Great product

Pros

We started created more internal videos and needed a way to transcribe draft videos in order to finalize and approve wording for final videos. We also use it to create a transcript of final videos for proof of compliance in topics covered.

Cons

I like the ease of correcting the script in the tool but we did have issues with company specific terminology not being recognized. I haven't tried the dictionary feature to see if it would help. Also, if the speaker is not talking clearly, there are a lot more grammatical errors and misunderstood words.

PV

Pat V.

Translation and Localization, 1-10 employees

Used other for 6-12 months

Perfect help

Better than I expected. Saved me days of laborious work.

Pros

It helped me subscribe hours of non-native speeches and focus groups, where x people were talking at the same time... amazing!

Cons

All perfect. There was nothing to complain about.

PM

Paul M.

Banking, 5,001-10,000 employees

Gobsmackingly Wonderful Product

It was just so damn simple. Upload a file, select language, let it translate, download results. Everything was simple and seamless. Even the web-site for Sonix is well laid out and easy to navigate.

Pros

Ease of use, accuracy, speed, pricing, support, basically everything is fantastic. Really like the way the text is split into logical breaks with timestamp. Mega useful for when recording a Teams conference as the logical breaks allow to synchronize text with individual speakers.

Cons

Nothing, everything was perfect with nothing to whinge about at all.