DATABASICS Expense Reviews

4.35/5 (31 reviews)

Pros
  • Easy for employees to access remotely. Good customer service.
  • I love that they have an app for smartphones. It makes things so much easier.
  • The software is easy to use on the admin side. The user interface is straightforward.
  • We are very please with it. It is very straight-forward and easy to use and meets our company needs.
Cons
  • Sometimes difficult to understand how to make changes in the system.
  • There have been times it locked up, but it's rare. And less frequent lately.
  • 1. Cant hit the back button 2. I would like to be able to match a cc charge to an existing entry.
  • I think the report writing can be a little challenging and output not always pretty but it does work
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Renee Kennedy

Great software, easy to administer and support staff are amazing, always willing to help.

Used occasionally for 2+ years
Reviewed 2017-06-21

Staff are responsible for inputting their own reports and the automation of the approval process.

Pros
The product is easy to use and administer and the functionality has come a long way since we started using DATABASICS. They are constantly improving their software and their procedure documentation. They are always willing to help us deal with situations or new configuration requests, coming up with solutions or adding them as a future enhancements. I love working with their employees, they are always willing to listing and meet with me to discuss items. DATABASICS started to provide webinars so that you can learn new things about the software as well as using them as a refresher.

Cons
My least favorite thing about the software is the reporting, within DATABASICS admin and Jasper. Jasper reporting is something that I don't use all the time so I have to familiarize myself with it when I do go in and use it. However they have had some webinars on Jasper reporting which has been helpful as well as documenting what's included in the domains. Within the admin console there are some admin audit data that is hard to understand but they are working on improving these.

Response from DATABASICS

Thank you Renee for your honest review of DATABASICS. We appreciate the opportunity to hear your thoughts on the Expense product and we love having the chance to support you and your team with answers to questions and solutions to problems. Hearing about how the Support team has helped you in the past has made our day!

Traci Gibbons

2019 DataBasics Review

Reviewed 2019-07-23

My accounts payable group had to manually process approx. 60 expense reports each week. This software not only saves them a considerable amount of processing time but it makes the entire approval routing and payment process more efficient.

Pros
The software is very user friendly. The general ledger extract, automated notifications and the availability to customize reports is extremely helpful. The security behind the rules and validation process, is ideal in helping my staff approve and make payment process efficient. The amazing DB staff from the our implementation team to our current support staff is the absolute BEST part of the entire process.

Cons
It would be great if the supervisors or managers that approve the expense reports, could do that simply by replying to the email notification

Response from DATABASICS

Thanks, Traci, for your thoughtful review of DATABASICS!

We love to hear that you're saving time and making your processes more efficient. We're also thrilled to hear that the DATABASICS team has been so helpful throughout the whole process. We're also super thrilled to have you as a customer.

Thank you for the time you took to tell others about us.
-The DB Team

Christina Donawa

Databasics is a good product.

Reviewed 2020-01-28

Databasics was user friendly for our employees.

Pros
Easy for employees to access remotely. Good customer service.

Cons
Sometimes difficult to understand how to make changes in the system.

Response from DATABASICS

Dear Christina,
Thanks for leaving us a review. We are thrilled that you loved how easy the software is to use for employees; our team will definitely be happy to read what you wrote. We put customer experience and satisfaction as our priority, and your review reaffirms the hard work we put in every day. We also appreciate the feedback on making changes in the system. So, thanks for your sharing your thoughts and we look forward to continuing to provide above-and-beyond customer service for your organization.

Preshana Simmons

DATABASICS Suite Review

Reviewed 2019-10-28

My overall experience has been good thus far. It was a bumpy start, which is expected for any program. However, the overall day to day use has been great.

Pros

Cons
The jasper reports, this is not a dislike, but more of a growth area for me. The problems that I do have with the system the support team is extremely helpful at assisting with these task. Specially, CSRs.

Response from DATABASICS

Dear Preshana,
Thanks for leaving us a review. We are thrilled that you loved how easy the software is to use for admins; our staff will definitely be happy to read what you wrote. We put customer experience and satisfaction as our priority, and your review reaffirms the hard work we put in every day. We also appreciate the feedback on the Jasper reporting. So, thanks for your thoughtful words and we look forward to continuing to provide above-and-beyond customer service for your organization.

Anne-France Curty

Quite good overall. This software could be more intuitive to use

Reviewed 2017-08-24

Harmonized way to do expense reports

Pros
What I like most is the fact that it is possible to use it anywhere, on multiple devices. I also like the receipt express.

Cons
As an admin, I don't like the fact that the different tables are not linked together (example: it is not possible to have WBS in the same file as the employees, when exporting Employee file in Data Piping). And VAT treatment is still very poor.

Sherri Rudowsky

Overall good product

Reviewed 2019-09-12

DataBasics works well for us, our employees do both out of pocket and company PCard expenses. We recently upgraded our ERP system and DataBasics' support team was excellent at helping us work out the bugs.

Pros
The versatility for us was key, we have very specific requirements and DataBasics was able to accommodate most of them. The support team is great to work with, very responsive and helpful. DataBasics is very open to and supportive of new requests for features and has implemented several of them for us.

Cons
Creating new reports can be cumbersome, they're not very intuitive. However the support team is great and has helped me navigate and created what I couldn't. We have a final review process where the number of expense to review can get pretty high, when the numbers are high the system is slow to load them.

Response from DATABASICS

Hi Sherry,
Thanks so much for your review. We're happy to hear that the support team has been such an asset to you. They're very proud of their commitment to our customers and we're happy that you're also experiencing the result of that commitment.
We've noted your concern with the load time and we'll continue to strive to make it faster to load.
All our best,
The DATABASICS Team

Rohit Sengupta

I use DATABASICS for my weekly time cards.

Reviewed 2017-10-11

Pros
I like how I can save the time code and activity, so I don't have to locate the same codes every pay period. I also like how I can easily the time sheets from the last few pay periods right after logging in, without any additional work on my side.

Cons
I think it is hard to see the dates/times for the entire pay period in one screen. Meaning I have to scroll right and left to view all the times i have entered, when I am still in draft mode. It would be nice if the entire pay period displayed on the screen without having to do this.

Response from DATABASICS

Thank you for your review! We're happy to hear that logging your time is easy.

Concerning the Con you noted:
It is possible to change your view. Here's how:

Click on your name in the top right corner.
Click on My Preferences.
Look for a section titled Time Preferences.
In that area, you can adjust the percentage of your screen taken up by your timesheet. If you enter "30%," for example, then the timesheet will adjust to fit into one screen in draft mode.
Then, click "Apply Changes" at the bottom of the screen.
Try entering different percentages to see what you prefer.

We hope that this fixes the concern you noted. If we can help, just reach out at support@data-basics.com.

Thank you for the opportunity to work with you!

Suraj Dubey

The app (desktop and mobile) is quick, easy to use and the promptness of the support team is crazy.

Reviewed 2017-06-06

I can easily submit my reports.

Pros
I have been using the app since almost a year now, and I still don't find it tedious to submit my time every day. The reason being -- how quick and simple it is to use the app. I have added the clients and time codes I frequently use to my favorites, and in literally 4 clicks I can submit the time. If I need any assistance, an email or call to the support team has always been helpful. The promptness and the flexibility of the team is applauding. If you like traveling, then the cover pictures will make you wonder what are you doing in front of that screen. The app that my previous employer used for time tracking would make me wait until Friday to do my time-sheets or until the deadline was approaching, but with Databasics I can do it every day with so much ease.

Cons
In the last one year I have never come across anything major. The only problems I had to deal with were few glitches, which would stop after restarting the app.

Response from DATABASICS

Thanks for your review, Suraj! We're happy that you've found the app so helpful. We appreciate the feedback.

Sean Hellman

I work with this product everyday and incorporate new employees into its use.

Reviewed 2017-06-09

We are now able to keep up with reports and receipts per manager in one secure location.

Pros
The software is user friendly. We are able to train managers within an hour on how to use DB. Being able to adjust a report before reimbursing is a breeze and the validation makes it much easier to keep up with per diem for our managers.

Cons
The reporting. I would like easier was to extract information from the system as well as receipts. If there were ways to mark them so I could pull all of them up when I generate a report to provide support for the charge.

Response from DATABASICS

Thank you for your review and your feedback. Please reach out to us in the future if we can help with reporting and extracting information! We're here to help at any time.

Tom Ricci

Databasics is the most user friendly T&E application we have used in the past 15 years!

Reviewed 2017-05-25

Pros
User friendly! The admin functionality is very easy to navigate. The application flags policy exceptions for offshore audit team as well as approvers in the 4 level approval flow. Split screen capabilities allows audit team and approvers to view receipt attachments at the line item level. The application handles ALL interfaces/feeds from Amex, HR, PRS system and SAP. The Jasper reporting tool used for budgeting, T&E Spend and exception reporting. Helpdesk is actually VERY HELPFUL!!

Cons
Nothing really bad to say about the application it self, the help portal at times is a bit cumbersome.

Response from DATABASICS

Thank you for your review!

jon ng

The product works and functions as needed for this organization. Customer support is top drawer.

Reviewed 2017-06-13

1. Automated time and expense tracking with solid interfaces to/from various other applications. 2. Improved (over the course of many years) end user time and expense interface. 3. Hosted environment with the database custody proviso. 4. Top drawer customer support

Pros
I like most: 1. Customer Support through the Databasics support website/portal 2. Application stability - little to no downtime 3. Application functionality 4. Ease of administration 5. End user experience We have a 360+ employee user pool who all use the time sheets with a good portion of that total also using the expense reporting. We have used Databasics since version 4x, through the years upgrading to version 5x and now version 6x in the hosted environment. The application is generally easy to use, in most cases, requiring only a brief initial orientation and from there, minimal end user support for the application. Many employees have taken advantage of the mobile application to enter either time or expenses while traveling and this was a welcome functional addition received with version 6x. Receipt imaging and organization was another welcome addition. We extract and interface expense data (weekly) and time sheet data (semi-monthly) from Databasics to our accounting application. We also import and interface organizational data (employee information, accounting structural data, etc...) into Databasics from both our accounting and HRIS applications. While managing these interfaces requires some training, assistance is always available if needed.

Cons
User feedback indicates that the time sheet form could be improved. The one recurring complaint/suggestion sine version 4x is that time sheet lines cannot be drag-n-drop managed for user sorting preferences. As an administrator, I dislike the fact that I no longer have physical custody of the database for other analysis or reporting needs. All ad hoc reporting must be done through the embedded Jasper reporting application. This generally meets the needs but is sometimes inconvenient to use.

Response from DATABASICS

We very much appreciate your thorough review of DATABASICS. Hearing about how it benefits you makes our day!

Thank you, also, for your suggestions and feedback concerning reporting and the time sheet.

Please continue to reach out if you have questions or concerns. We're thrilled for the opportunity to help!

Mark Susenbach

An easy to use expense tracking system that provides approval levels needed to manage your expenses

Reviewed 2017-06-09

Moving from a paper tracking system to an electronic system has saved us money, allowed for better expense approval processes and increased the reimbursement turn around for our users. Using the mobile app and website allows approvals to happen from anywhere as long as an internet connection is available.

Pros
The software is easy to manage and setup. It is easy for the users to use. Mostly the Customer Support team is excellent in assisting when you have a problem. Individuals goes out of his way to get you a quick response to any problem or question you may have. It is great to have that kind of support behind you.

Cons
There are only a couple of cons I find about the program. When you want to delete a user you have to go to many different areas and delete the person before you actually delete the user profile. It would be nice from the employee record to click delete and the system asks if you want to delete all correlating records. The system is more designed to just make the user inactive versus actually deleting the individual completely. The other area is AD Hoc reporting. I feel the Jaspersoft report creation is not as easy as the rest of the program. You really need separate in-depth training on how to get the full benefits from the AD Hoc reporting portion.

Response from DATABASICS

Thank you for your review and your feedback. We also appreciate your suggestion about deleting users and ad hoc reporting. We're also thrilled to learn about the benefits you've experienced in using DATABASICS.

Sharon Devine

Complete information

Reviewed 2018-09-27

Databasics has been a project that was implemented slowly and cautiously as most of our contractors are not up to date with technology. Unfortunately it cause a huge problem when trying to get the correct information from them. Databasics has solved most of this issue. The support I have recieved (even witn stupid errors) is extremely fast. The phone app is the greatest! Our employees using the phone app are up to date with their information and as a company we can now see where our strengths and weaknesses are in regards to the cost of goods sold as well as expenses.

Pros
Prior to this software our company expense informaiton was all over the place and difficult at best to pull together when invoicing a customer for a completed project. now that all of our employees submit their time and expenses through Data basics I can acces all the expenses for a job within a few minutes by running simple report. The Databasics team was very helpful in

Cons

Response from DATABASICS

Thank you for your thoughtful review of DATABASICS!
We love to hear that you're now empowered with data about your organization. We're also thrilled to hear that our support service has been beneficial in solving unforeseen or unexpected problems.
We are very appreciative of the time you took to tell others about us.
Thank you bunches and bunches!
-The DB Team

Linda Fallucca

10 Excellent years of service.

Reviewed 2019-10-20

From the implementation team to the technical support team, they have always, gone above and beyond to satisfy our needs and provide excellent service and support.

Pros
DATABASICS has been our T&E Expense reporting service for over10 years, they have been very attentive to our needs and requirements, have made many customizations to fit our culture and needs. They also, have a great implementation and support team.

Cons
Soo many upgrades! I know they are required, but with a company like ours who has so many customized fields, every time there is an upgrade we need to test and retest our transactions to ensure everything is still functioning properly. However, they are included in the package price.

Response from DATABASICS

Dear Linda,
Thanks for leaving us such a kind review. We are thrilled that you loved your 10-year experience with DATABASICS Expense and our team; our staff will definitely be happy to read what you wrote. We put customer experience and satisfaction as our priority, and your review reaffirms the hard work we put in every day. We also appreciate the feedback on the upgrades. So, thanks for your thoughtful words and we look forward to continuing to provide above-and-beyond customer service for your organization.

Hardeep Basati

System that was provided is Travel Expense system. We were looking for Purchase Card Program.

Reviewed 2017-08-15

we were able to implement this software as Purchase Card reconciliation system for CACI. This system will allow users to reconcile transaction and attach back up documents, those will be stored in the system up to 7 years. The need to be able to store documents online for 7 years is what lead to the implementation of this system.

Pros
It's an advance system and accommodated what were looking for even though it was not Purchase Card system.Customer rep helped us made this system function as we expected it to work. From the start, he took the time to sit down with the team to understand our project needs. We understand this is common for implementations but what stood out what his willingness to understand the intricacies of our program and mutually work to develop solutions that work for us (and not just implement solutions that other companies have used).

Cons
System can be improved with minor tweaks those will have huge impact for users. Most of our users are used to simple and non-complex system. this system has many features those confuse users. specially the non-tech users.

Response from DATABASICS

Thank you for your thoughtful and thorough review! We pride ourselves on the functionality of our product and on our customer service team, so we're thrilled to read that you are satisfied with both. We look forward to many more years of a productive relationship and we hope that you'll continue to reach out to us if you need us.
Thank you again!

Dyanna Herrera

Time saver, easy to use

Reviewed 2017-06-12

Information at your finger tips, easy to use.

Pros
Leave Management has been such a great add for our company. It allows each employee to see how much PTO they accumulate per pay period, how much they used and when they would max out. It makes each employee responsible for managing their own PTO. We can customize it to our needs. We have different accrual rates for length of service, as well as exceptions to the rule. Set them up once, assign them to the employee and it all works! Customer support is amazing and responds very quickly when you need assistance.

Response from DATABASICS

Thank you so much for your kind review. We are thrilled to hear about how leave management is working for you and solving problems. Please continue to reach out with questions or problems. We're always happy to help!

Cynthia Tsuchimoto

DB has solved our issues with managing utilization, labor billing and expense reports

Reviewed 2017-06-13

HR compliance for hourly employees, time off management, electronic expense reports that seamlessly upload to our financial software, labor utilization by employees, departments and projects

Pros
Integration with Microsoft Dynamics/Solomon Project Controller and Financial Accounting is seamless and easy to manage

Cons

Response from DATABASICS

Thank you for your review and your feedback concerning report writing. We're happy to help with any problem or provide an answer to any question. We're also thrilled to hear about how useful DATABASICS has been for you.

Sue Voorhies

From the time we chose DATABASICS , I have always had excellent customer support from the team.

Reviewed 2017-06-27

Pros
The ease in the creation, approval(s) of the TA (Travel Authorization) including the travel advance option. Along with ease in the creation, approval, and payment of Expense Reports. It is extremely helpful that American Express provides a daily data feed with the employee's AMEX charges along with the currency exchanges for the International expenses.

Cons
I miss being able to have go between two functions in the application. For example, the ease in going from the Expense Screen and the Admin screen. Perhaps this has changed since my last upgrade.

Response from DATABASICS

Thanks for your review, Sue! We're thrilled to hear about how our customer support team has always been helpful for you. We look forward to continuing to resolve problems and answer questions. We're also glad to hear about how easy you've found it to create, approve, and reimburse expense reports. Thanks for the feedback on the admin view

Nancy Cavanaugh

Our company has been using Databasics for over 9 years. We have been very happy with this software.

Reviewed 2017-06-16

Expenses are posted into our accounting system which saves the company so much time compared to the manual process prior.

Pros
I like that the credit card transactions feed into the system. The government per diems calculate automatically.

Response from DATABASICS

Thanks for your review, Nancy! We appreciate that you have found credit card transactions to be helpful, saving you time over manual processes. We're happy for the chance to hear your thoughts about the product and we're here for you in the future to answer questions.

Dave Jetton

DataBasics Mgmt and Staff have been wonderful to work with. They really are very customer focused.

Reviewed 2017-05-31

Value, Reliability, Good support and customer service. Management that works hard to develop what you need.

Pros
Reliable, Intuitive, and well supported. This product is always up and running. The service team is in front of all issues and communicates well with the user base. The product is intuitive after the first introductory training. May online help tools.

Cons
Back End Reporting. There is an Ad-Hoc tool for creating back end reporting but it is not the best reporting tool. Have had issues getting what I needed and having it run without help from their DB team. They usual come up with a solution and do the work for you or help you get something to fit the need.

Response from DATABASICS

Thank you for your review and your feedback. Please continue to reach out to us for any problem or question!

Claudia Evans

great

Reviewed 2017-08-23

Pros

Response from DATABASICS

Thank you for your review, Claudia. We're very appreciative that you took the time to write about DATABASICS and we're thrilled to hear that we're meeting the needs of your company. Please reach out if we can do anything to help in the future!

Missy Lanning

I have had only good since we moved to solely Databasics- the service is wonderful!

Reviewed 2017-05-25

The ability to pull our payment to our drivers at any time. This will and has helped in rare instances that we missed a holiday deadline or someone was unable to submit expenses on time. We have enjoyed a better support system with troubleshooting.

Pros
The ease of use and training for our users. Most all of our drivers transitioned easily to the new system and have had very minimal issues since. Any time we have had any trouble Support is always ready and willing to help out at a moments notice.

Cons
the fact that I haven't been able to learn every aspect of its capabilities yet. Not due to any fault of Databasics but of my own - just taking the time to learn/attend a webinar.

Response from DATABASICS

Thank you so much for your review!

Roxanne Henkel

Excellent Customer Service

Reviewed 2017-05-25

Pros
Ease of use Very intuitive Easy for the Administrator to us and update/make changes quickly New User Training is short or not even required in some cases.

Cons
Reporting through Jasper some reports are available through DataBasics Creating reports through Jasper is more difficult

Response from DATABASICS

Thank you for your review!

Anonymous

I use Databasics on a weekly basis, it serves my needs well.

Reviewed 2017-10-13

Pros
I like that you can email receipts directly to your expense report. It is easy to navigate and reconcile.

Cons
It would be great if it was easier to see a past expense report - currently I have to export a file to review the line items.

Response from DATABASICS

Thank you for your review! We're happy to hear that emailing receipts is easy and quick.

Concerning your note about the ability to see all past expense report line items, it is currently possible to search all past expense report transactions in one screen without having to export. However, this is a feature that must be turned on for your specific site. This is called the "admin read only module," which we can enable, but we will need to confirm it with your administrator.

To initiate this process, please email us at support@data-basics.com. We can then provide next steps and communicate with your administrator.

Thanks again for the review and the opportunity to work with you!
--DATABASICS Support

Anonymous

It's very handy

Reviewed 2019-08-29

Pros
I love that they have an app for smartphones. It makes things so much easier.

Cons
There have been times it locked up, but it's rare. And less frequent lately.

Response from DATABASICS

Hello there!
Thanks for leaving us a review. We are thrilled that you have had a positive experience with DATABASICS Time and the DATABASICS app; our staff will be happy to read what you wrote. We put customer experience and satisfaction as our priority, and your review reaffirms the hard work we put in every day. So thanks for your time and we look forward to continuing to work with you.