OnPay  Logo
OnPay

Award-winning payroll and HR that move businesses forward

visit website

OnPay Reviews

User ratings

4.8

• Likelihood to recommend9.7/10

See full reviews by rating

Pros

Cons

As a foreign company moving into the US market I'm glad we chose OnPay. They have been great at making everything smooth from helping us get set up with payroll to benefits for our employees.
User-friendly, excellent customer support, super easy on a small budget and I am 100% comfortable in leaving everything in their capable hands. Simply click a button on payday and it's done.
Alway friendly staff that is eager to help answer any questions and get us to a resolution. Software is simple and packed with features.
Also, there was a problem with payroll being processed twice within two minutes from each other. There should have been a pop up stating you already processed a payroll.
I hate paperwork and don't have a big enough operation to justify hiring a book keeper.

OnPay users...

RUN Powered by ADP

Quickbooks Online-logocaret
+ 2

Quickbooks Online

How would you rate OnPay ?

David I.

Founder

Accounting, 1-10 employees

Our go-to payroll software!

Transcript

Speaker 1: Hi, my name is David. I'm the founder of a bookkeeping business. I give OnPay five out of...

Poor Customer Service

Transcript

Marsha: Hi, my name is Marsha. I'm an executive director, and I give OnPay four stars. For more reviews,...

Great Payroll System

Great tool that is affordable and easy to use!

Pros

What I like most about OnPay is how easy it is to use the tool. I do not have a payroll background and I was able to figure out how to process payroll with getting frustrated. It's very intuitive and easy to use. I also like that chat functionality. They respond instantly and are incredibly knowledgeable/helpful.

Cons

I wish we could integrate it with our HRIS platform so I wouldn't have to switch between 2 different systems to process payroll (401k contributions and approve non-exempt time cards, etc.)

The best payroll service available!

We've had state tax issues that OnPay has navigated us through, and every issue we've had, they've quickly replied and resolved the matter.

Pros

OnPay is easy to use, and our employees love how easy they can manage their profiles.

Cons

The only thing we wish that OnPay did was automatically deduct payroll. Other than that, it's an excellent product, with outstanding customer service.

Direct deposit disaster

Terrible experience with the platform and the customer service. [SENSITIVE CONTENT] [SENSITIVE CONTENT] and [SENSITIVE CONTENT] are not helpful.

Pros

Nothing about this platform is intelligent.

Cons

The help chat is useless, the notifications are confusing, the customer service is awful. An employee logged into their app and it had another employees name.

Beats all the other platforms for Accountants

Overall it has been amazing compared to where we have come from. Patriot, Accountants World, Intuit are nightmares. Even Gusto doesn’t care about their partners like this company. Thank you OnPay. We will be sticking with you as we grow.

Pros

They actually care about doing what they say they will do and professionalism. This is a strong contender for Accounting professionals. In fact, the best experience we have had. There are many out there that will make you pull your hair out. This company has incredible support staff and they really care about their partnerships.

Cons

Wish they would integrate co-branding more into their service for their partners. Wish they would integrate with more time keeping platforms.

Great payroll company

Everything has been great with Onpay. Service is wonderful and quick communication back for questions

Pros

I love how easy it is to onboard new employees and move around the site

Cons

Learning the integration and mapping of quick books and Onpay.

OnPay works the way an online payroll system should

My overall experience has been excellent, and its consistently accurate and smooth functioning has given me a very high level of confidence that I have no worries about payroll issues.

Pros

Processing varied payrolls has been a breeze, including special payments and withholdings. Ease and speed of use is key, matched by the simple fact that it works the way you hope it would work.

Cons

Occasionally, follow-up on a customer service issue has been slow. E.g., follow up on tax deposit notices.

OnPay’s customer service is what sets them apart.

Overall experience has been a very positive one. I find the service to be excellent for the cost.

Pros

Software is easy to use. Very straight forward and you always have help a phone call away.

Cons

Hours entered for payroll week to week no long remain on the following weeks payroll. I found this convenient as most employees work the same hours every week.

Online Payroll Service for Small Business

Simple, compliant online payroll, tax reporting, and direct deposit. Efficient and reasonably priced.

Pros

Ease of use. Reasonable price. Good phone support when needed.

Cons

Nothing negative to report. Easy to use.

Excellent service

Awesome !

Pros

Easy to learn all the systems in onpay.

Cons

Would like to be able integrate more items

Functional and easy to use

Pros

Ease of use, comprehensiveness of reports.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind. It does all that I need it to do.

Our go-to payroll software!

Pros

The best part about Onpay for us, is not only the ease of use, but the ability to set up Onpay so it maps to Quickbooks Online, so we don't have to make any adjustments later. Also, we are super thankful for Onpay's support as they are always super friendly and make sure any payroll challenges we have are resolved. Also, we really like the liabilities always balance. We struggled with other software, mainly quickbooks, where there are always odd amounts of payroll liabilities hanging in the account all the time.

Cons

We have an accountant dashboard, and we can't see our invoices directly, we have them sent to us each month. Billing isn't wonky or anything, we just don't have open access to the billing from our side. If it was the client's billing account, their billing activity shows up for them.

Spectacular-quality software

We also implemented a Worker's Comp system that integrates seamlessly with OnPay. We simply calculate the payroll amount and the fee for Worker's Comp is charged to our company each week so there's no annual deposit or reconciliation at the end of the year because it's all handled week by week.

Pros

OnPay is extremely easy to use, extremely fast, and flexible. We use it weekly to handle our payroll needs. It is so simple and intuitive, and whenever I've contacted OnPay with a question, their consultants were very helpful. I really can't say enough about how pleased I am with OnPay. Our payroll used to be a nightmare and OnPay made that into a nothing burger. We literally handle our payroll in...

Cons

When we first implemented their Worker's Comp system into our Payroll, the first year the Worker's Comp people tried to charge us extra because they were counting my wife and myself (owners) as being covered by Worker's Comp in addition to our employees. This was not what we wanted and never requested to have that, so it seemed like a bit of a sketchy effort maybe, but was easy to fix. We simply contacted...

Used For a Company of Contractors

Over the years we have very much appreciated the way OnPay listens to us and impliments our suggestions and features that work for our company.

Pros

We like being able to add new contractors and allowing an invitation to go out to the employee to log in and finish their own set up by adding their banking information. We like being able to see a payment history made to the employee. We like the ease of making direct deposit to employees.

Cons

We would rather enter contractors as contractors rather than employees which is easier to set up. Right now we have to add the 1099 Misc payment addon.

Great Payroll Software

I have really enjoyed using this software. It is our companies third payroll software vendor and as long as they continue to operate the way they do it will be our last.

Pros

The fact that you can modify employee information, add/subtract new employees, and make changes all while right in the middle of running a payroll. It is also very valuable that they allow you to run as many payroll instances as you need. For instance if you have an employee that forgot to add to their time sheet you can go back and generate another payroll for that one employee with no additional charges.

Cons

Some of the elements of the software are not intuitive and it is very difficult at times to deal with tax related issues through the software. Customer service is usually really helpful and most questions can be answered through chat.

Easy to use and great value

We have had a good experience with OnPay. There are very few issues or errors and, when there are issues, the OnPay team has solved them in an expedient manner. Over the years we have realized significant cost savings due to the ease of use of OnPay. General business or managerial staff can easily run the system instead of paying a service or hiring a payroll professional to manage payroll for larger groups.

Pros

OnPay is easy to use with an intuitive interface. It was a good product for a small company of just a couple people and it has continued to work for us as we approach 20 people. It is also reasonably priced and does not overwhelm users and administrators with too much complexity.

Cons

The thing we like least about OnPay is the way paid time off (PTO) accrual growth is calculated. We grow PTO accrual every year of employment up to 20 years and that requires employees to be moved into new PTO growth categories every three years. We could just choose to do our PTO differently, but we wish OnPay had the PTO growth flexibility to accommodate our preferred methods.

Full function, clear UX, low cost

Overall, it's been very positive. They have what our organization needs at a good price, and are easy to use.

Pros

I chose OnPay because they offered an easy-to-use QSEHRA designation, which our previous provider SurePayroll did not. I am tremendously pleased with OnPay. The page layouts are clear, reasonably intuitive and very easy to set up, and they keep introducing smart upgrades which make tools even easier to find. They also have excellent customer service, by chat, phone, or email.

Cons

It could be clearer to set up PTO/vacation/sick policies. I also don't know why I can't delete double notifications when employees get paid.

Great (probably the best) online payroll service

I really love this online payroll service. After a lot of research of a variety of payroll options, we moved from Paychex to OnPay a couple of years ago and it was absolutely the right move. I can't speak for large companies, but for small and medium sized companies I do believe this is the best, most reliable and most economical service available.

Pros

I run a small business and onpay is perfect for processing our payroll. Some of the features we love: 1) Easy to use interface 2) Employees enter all their own bank information, withholdings, etc. 2) Employees can log in to download their own tax forms, details of previous pay runs, etc. (I don't need to print or distribute these forms or information.) 3) Onpay takes care of all the appropriate taxes,...

Cons

When I am out of the country, I have a hard time running payroll. I know this has to do with internet security, but I wish there was a straight-forward way to accommodate this issue.

Time-saver!

Doing payroll now takes minutes instead of hours! The program pays for itself, not only in time saved, but due to less expense from the accounting firm.

Pros

All I have to do is enter the hours, overtime, and any bonuses- - -all the calculations are done automatically. It is a relief not to have to calculate the withholdings, write the checks, figure out how much to pay the state and federal government, then pay it. As our staff grew, I didn't have time to spend on payroll, then had to pay my accountant to double-check everything. OnPay takes care of everything! I am not very computer-savvy, so it was nice to be able to get assistance from their friendly service people. Now I can figure out most things on my own!

Cons

Sometimes new employees miss the part about setting up direct payment into their accounts. It must not be obvious, because about 1 out of 3 will miss it. Getting set up was fairly easy. They took the information from my old system (which was mostly "by hand" and converted it easily. When I didn't understand something, their customer service was able to talk me through it.

OnPay Review

This is a great service. It has helped reduce our payroll costs by a ton, and is way easier to use than other systems. The reporting is great too. I love this service. i wouldn't use anything else.

Pros

Very easy to use and I love that it is NOT Expensive.

Cons

Voiding Checks/Direct Deposits is a pain. Also, I wish each employee had a default that it would change back to for each payroll run. For example, I might pay someone a bonus one week, I don't need that bonus to be paid next week, however it shows up again and I have to remember to remove it. Same with any deductions, so If I need to deduct and advance one week, I don't need it to be deducted again. Anyway, does that make sense? I also wish I could make 2 or 3 checks for one person on the same payroll run, instead of doing multiple payroll runs. I feel a few changes in these areas would make it so much better than it already is.

Wish all software was this easy

Onpay has streamlined the payroll process for me. I run my clients payroll in a fraction of the time and for a fraction of the cost.

Pros

The ease of setup, integration, and running payroll. They have simplified the process. Also the price is a fraction of other payroll companies.

Cons

There are a few features i would like to see added, such as automatic payroll.

New User, happy so far

Excellent.

Pros

The OnPay customer service has been excellent since the first call I had with them. The help transferring our information from a big, clunky payroll platform to getting it to the streamlined & easy to use OnPay platform was seamless. The communication, information, help & kindness shown throughout the process has been a real change from our last experience. The response time is super quick too!

Cons

So far it is not as robust as the last platform so I am missing some features (specifically benefits enrollment). I'm still a new user and am just diving into the reports now.

Great Product, Great Support!

Direct Deposit for our employees is fantastic (I do not give anyone options, ever), the reporting and paying of the taxes is huge. And if I mess up, OnPay is there for me!

Pros

The interface is simple, and the updates that occur have never caused any problems, but have added functionality that was missing in the very beginning (for example, scheduling a pay rate change). I also like the ability to import into QuickBooks. I like that On Pay pays the taxes for us! Prior to moving to OnPay, I was constantly getting adjustments on on payroll taxes from the state of the feds - that never happens anymore. Support staff is amazing. The reports are good and getting better.

Cons

The reports are getting better - and recently new options have been added, so that is great. I

OnPay makes payroll easy

Overall, I'm satisfied with OnPay. I'm still fairly new to the program, so I'm still discovering features and benefits. I'm sure with time, it will become even easier to use.

Pros

OnPay makes is fast and easy to run every payroll. A few clicks and you're done. OnPay took care of all the on-boarding and saved me lots of time.

Cons

The Tax Liability Report doesn't have a total amount for each payroll, so I have to use the Payroll Summary Report to get the tax total, which isn't a big deal anyway. I'd also like to see a screen that indicates what liabilities have been paid and with a confirmation number.

OnPay

They have been great at helping me with IRS issues.

Pros

Reports section is a great resource. I like being able to get a year to date tally on hours, income, retirement contributions, etc.

Cons

The new employee set up is a bit tedious.

OnPay is the one and only outstanding payroll software

OnPay is a great payroll software that offers great support to its users. With the help of this tool, you can easily call, chat, and even email. Moving on to the usability of this software, I think that there is a slight learning curve when it comes to payroll functionality but still thanks to my team because they helped me efficiently walk through the process.

Pros

Onpay is really easy to use plus printing reports and even deriving employee information is quite easy. It is one of the most efficient and effective payroll software that we have been using all across our organization. This software has easily enabled us to categorize different departments of our organization in an easy and hassle-free way. The tool is really quick in terms of responsiveness which I really admire. Onpay has always been really helpful throughout we have been a customer. All our payroll-related queries are resolved with OnPay. All in all, this is one of my essential products for our company.

Cons

OnPay is providing excellent services. I have not faced any big issues while using this payroll program.