athenaOne Reviews

User ratings

3.7

• Likelihood to recommend7.45/10

See full reviews by rating

Pros

Cons

The billing side of the service is fantastic and best in class as far as I can tell. They could not do a better job of making sure I get all of my money - payments as well as incentives.
Ease of use good but especially like the ability to customize to make this “ mine.
The monthly cost is outrageous given all of the errors they make on posting and the terrible customer support.
By that time, you will have invested a ridiculous amount of time viewing training videos and probably don't want to start with a new company. Implementation was terrible and disorganized.
If Athena continues to ignore this gaping lack of service, they will lose clients to other programs (i.e. Epic) which have integrated this process more fully.

athenaOne users...

Allscripts Professional EHR-logocaret

Allscripts Professional EHR

Practice Fusion-logocaret

Practice Fusion

How would you rate athenaOne?

AB

Amy B.

President

Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees

We love all things Athena EMR!

Transcript

Erin T.: My name is Erin, and I am the office manager and a nurse. We would rate athenaOne a four out...

Electronic Order Ease

Transcript

Ashley: Hi, I'm Ashley. I'm an x-ray tech. I give athenaOne a four out of five. And for more reviews...

Very easy to pick up and get going.

Pros

The user interface is very friendly and everything is set up to guide you through easily while entering patient information.

Cons

Sometimes the add on software like the label printer and document printer would stop working, but that is rare.

Good working system for claims management

Pros

I like the ease of navigating the system. It also has a lot of how to videos to help you with the system

Cons

The manual part of hub g to create your own rules in order for it to work correctly

Tread Carefully and do not believe the sales rep

The EMR is ok to work with. I think combining with the RCM has really made the experience terrible. Please do not use their RCM or their billing service, you will lose money, miss deadlines for timely filing. They don't notify the practice if there is a large patient balance so you can't collect on time. They are so slow in updating patient and insurance payments so you don't know on time if your claims...

Pros

The EMR has good templates, the patient portal is pretty good. Implementation was the worst, they use these people who live in other countries who have the most minimum knowledge so implementing this was as stressful as using their RCUM. I had to ask for someone else because my go-live date was due and this guy could not answer my questions.

Cons

The RCM and billing service is the worst. Don't even attempt it.

Sea change

When we selected athenaOne, we requested an (unreasonable) implementation within one month. They (appropriately) warned that this was not recommended but went along with us and WE DID IT. There were definitely issues that had to be addressed going forward but it was accomplished fairly quickly and smoothly and we were moving onto process improvement within the two months of implementation. We did...

Pros

The most important features of athenaOne which have produced a SEA CHANGE for our practices are 1) easy access to demographic, clinical, scheduling and billing information regardless of your role, 2) remarkable and rigorous data collection and report functions that allow optimal decision-making and tracking of business functions, and 3) an optimal platform for developing and implementing PROCESSES which improve efficiency, reduce human work and reduce human error.

Cons

The only thing I don't like is that I don't optimally use all of the features because I haven't learned what they are yet! We have been using athenaOne for a little over three years and there are still a large number of features and processes that I could implement or use in our small practices. There is always a better way!

Review of Athena One

I have used two other systems, Athena One is good, anc continues to improve based on requests from providers which I appreciate

Pros

Templates, macros, ability to use others macros, templates

Cons

too many clicks for everything, too many update videos

Some good features, but bad layout

It served its purpose while I was in school and I think it was chosen because it worked with multiple disciplines, but I never considered it for my own practice after graduation. It was too slow and not customizable enough.

Pros

The templates and text shortcuts were probably the best part of this software. The ability to add drop down menus and text boxes to your text shortcuts was extremely helpful for creating templates. The ability to share those shortcuts was also very useful for providing the same template to multiple people. Epocrates, which is the prescription side of Athena was also very nice for looking up drug interactions.

Cons

The layout of this software is terrible. Very confusing and it takes a lot of clicking to access any part of the patient’s chart. Not to mention switching between different sections of the chart requires the doctor who click and wait for the new page to load. This would have been much better if Athena used a more standard SOAP format all on one page.

Good product but could be better

Pros

I like the ease of fixing claims that were rejected and insurance verification

Cons

That you could only print a certain amount of medical records at a time. Which is very time consuming

TERRIBLE revenue cycle management

Pros

Everything except RCM. It is an easy software to use.

Cons

There is so much about RCM that is bad. I am currently doing the majority of the work because it is taking 2 to 3 months for payments or correspondence to be posted. They are taking a percentage of our revenue and I am the one doing all of the work. It is completely unfair. They blame it on the pandemic but that makes no sense since this is a new problem.

TelezecareMD is better option.

It was good experience but could have been better.

Pros

Easy to deploy and configure but takes time for ROI.

Cons

There are many softwares giving more feature out there for better capabilities and money.

Beware of the RCM services and support...they are non existent.

Pros

The software is user friendly and intuitive.

Cons

Customer service, support, RCM. There is an overall lack of accountability with this company.

Nickels and Dimes!

Some good, but everything is too automated and what's important easily falls through the digital cracks.

Pros

Admittedly, the software is easy to use and offers meaningful use suggestions. The five step patient visit is simple to understand. The patient portal is nice, however, the patient facing portion could look more modern. Billing is easy from a practitioner standpoint. It also is starting to integrate with other EMRs so occasionally we can pull labs and imaging from other participating systems.

Cons

Setup was arduous to say the least. Also, once claims are submitted, that's another story. I was sold that this software was all-in-one. They LIED. This is NOT the software for a small practice. They act as if I have an army of billing people when they told me that Athena was all I needed! For example, there was functionality that we needed to be aware of to find an important document from medicare....

Athena review

For the most part excellent. Upgrades and updates seem to have slowed down and I think Athena has leaned more on the Market Place Vendors and less on enhancing included offers. I have made suggestions over the years and have given up as I do not feel the suggestions postings are something that Athena has been able to keep up with.

Pros

Claims scrubbing software. Our claims go out clean and are paid quickly. Support with MIPS. Reporting capability. Athena Text messaging. Versatility, software runs on any device. Athena text messaging. Monthly account manager calls and metrics. Partnership. Ease of creating order sets and working in clinicals. Market place partnerships are great and enhance the software and functions. Not afraid to be disruptive and things up looking for best and innovative practices.

Cons

Collector and Communicator insurance card copy do not communicate. Hoping one day soon you will be able to interface with EPIC. The reporting is so good that sometimes I need more support to ensure I am selecting the correct criteria.

Bells and whistles

We are a Family Medicine Residency which makes managing the clinic more complex for us than most clinics because our providers are all part-time, there's Faculty over site of the Residents, and they are learning. We went live 2 1/2 years ago with 75 end-users and have been very successful with Athena. Implementation took about 2 1/2 months and was up to full schedules within 5 weeks of go-live. We've added on Dulcian CCM software which has helped us earn a lot of income doing CCM just documenting time we were missing in our old EHR. We've also implemented electronic check in which has helped get more historical information in our charts and more screeners completed on our patients. We realized a 1 FTE decrease in Medical Records and have realized savings in other areas.

Pros

There are lots of bells and whistles built into the software and they are moving towards releasing more and improving all the time. Free interfaces make life so much easier for us! Athena listens to users when developing the software, they are visionary with future software needs in order to meet MIPS requirements. Implementation was big but there were people helping us through each step. We have an amazing Account Manager and meet with him once a month to go over open issues and discuss financials. Athena is overall a very forward-thinking company. Athena Marketplace has lots of add-on features to help make your staff's lives easier. We've acclimated well.

Cons

The tickler system for follow up visits are subject to user errors and need constant review. However, honestly, most recall appointment tools usually do because patients just don't return on time or try to get as much time in between visits as possible. Task assignment over rides (TAO) take some getting used to and are hard to filter for some incoming document situations. I wish there were more filters...

AthenaHealth meets our needs

My previous experience is with a large health organization with a home grown EHR. As I was involved in the design of that system, I was initially worried about moving to a vendor product. Thankfully that design experience helped me in the transition over to Athena and allowed my organization to anticipate and mitigate issues with data conversion and implementation that many organizations struggle with when changing systems. Overall our transition was smooth and resulted in minimal loss of productivity.

Pros

Easy to use with an intuitive interface that works well for ambulatory providers Company is responsive to issues and "flow-busters" Near zero downtime Revenue stream up significantly

Cons

Athena may not be tailor made to my specialty, but that is a small trade off for up time and interoperability

Modular Flexibility and 24/7 Access with Value

Great experience for over 8 years now; many of my peers wish they had switched to Athena once they see the capabilities of the product.

Pros

I have seen this software grow over the years and now have friends using it within multiple different services lines in the healthcare industry. Some of the key pros I can think of quickly include: - Flexibility, (features and design allow of different service locations, and different physicians within the same practice to see/edit EMR information to fit the individual) - Transparency, (live EMR,...

Cons

Advancement requests,or recommendations for improvements, from clients are rated and scored by clients across the system, which is a great design! Recommendations from the User Community require time to develop, grade, prioritize and implement. Eventually, the highest costumer rated recommendations get attention and are implemented with accuracy; just takes time.

Athena creates EHR efficiency for medical practices

As stated above, since our Athena "Go Live" 2 1/2 years ago I have been able to reduced our medical practice overhead, reduce staff, all while increasing revenue, and providing to our providers and staff a manageable clinic day. At the end of each day, all messages and calls are returned to patients and the days charts completed.

Pros

I have worked with and launched four other EHR's. When people ask me what I like most about AthenaNet, I tell them that "Athena just makes sense." We have a very busy medical practice seeing over 35 patients each day in our clinic along with answering over 60 triage messages on the phone or through the patient portal daily. Since our Athena "Go Live" 2 1/2 years ago I have been able to reduced...

Cons

The CSC process needs to get better. With the new CSC Create a Case process issues and problems are difficult to get resolved with one phone call. Many times my issue needs to be escalated, not able to be solved by the person on the phone.

Small to medium business EHR Solutions

Overall, this is a decent solution. We have grown exponentially as a non-profit and it's quite possible that we could have gotten a bigger product like Epic or Allscripts, but Athena fit what we needed at the time and changing it would be... intense. It has ushered our care into the digital age, and I think if you are a small or medium sized business Athena would fit the bill nicely for all of its features and usability.

Pros

We use AthenaHealth every day. The portal is easy to use and implement (users simply configure a browser, login). Their help desk is pretty decent. For a small to medium business looking for an Electronic Medical Portal for their staff to use, Athena would make a great alternative to larger options like Epic or Allscripts. It supports proprietary devices (payment processing, or card and check scanning...

Cons

Most changes are up-voted, which means that they are voted on by other agencies trying to get their changes implemented as most valuable. Things like Billing and Patient Care do not streamline well enough yet together--they work in two separate constructs, so our billing is constantly having to rework the way that they bill to fit the way Athena works with Patient Care. Troubleshooting with our medical assistants can sometimes be complex with Athena, so for more complex issues, the help desk might take you to two or three different folks to solve an issue. The Help Desk has become more complex making it harder to navigate ticketing. It was simpler to put in a ticket prior to the changes.

5 Star Review

Our office went live with Athena Communicator and Collector in September of 2013. We had previously used 2 other billers and schedulers/management systems at that point and I have to say we are all glad that we chose Athena. The customer service department and our implementation team were beyond helpful. We appreciate that Athena is ever changing, and always looking to improve the ease of business...

Pros

Ease of Use, Rarely any system downtimes or system issues, Receptive customer service and account managers, Transparency you can see everything that has happened and who did it

Cons

This product is the most costly that we have used, however, we have definitely made more in revenue by using Athena than not.

Consultant with AthenaNet in different practices

My business partner and I have had extensive experience with AthenaNet and EMRs, in general within a spread of different medical practices. AthenaNet is similar to any other EMR in that it works really well for some practices and not as well in others.

Pros

The billing component is extremely beneficial though, I have found that some of my offices have thought that is does ALL billing. (Again, I think it's a lack of understanding and initial training.) The access to helpline is great. Having a live person to talk to has been helpful. (It's sometimes can take longer periods of time to come to a solution but they normally stay patient until there is...

Cons

Common complaints we hear from physicians, staff and admin - there is a lot of scrolling within a patient chart. Yes, you can jump using links but it takes a lot of retraining old habits. Quality Reports can't be adjusted - such as running reports for quality measures for different time periods for in-office comparison. Dates within reports don't show up in the header when printed. Defaults are practice wide and can't be adjusted.

Works well...

Hi. Quite surprised to read other reviews actually. Im a pod... starting in private practice with emr "Cerner"... hated it. always have, always will...although it has been at least 2 yrs since I've seen Cerner in action. My wife, another doctor, actually uses practice fusion...one of the many free online web based servers. I started with athena bc to me, starting out on my own (literally),...

Pros

ease of use, it really is good. work on multiple charts at one time rarely glitches or down time Athena is certainly closer to a "practice fusion"... very user-friendly..set up more like navigating to/through a web browser/site then "medical-based program" can use your own templates, but they claim to have many (i ONLY use my own- never even once tried athena's) CS is NOT like most reviews are stating... I have used the Athena CS/help/claims helpline many, many, many times, and 90% of the time, issues gets resolved quickly.

Cons

the cost of course. the larger you are/more pts/billing, perhaps better the rate you will get. that is the only thing for me really.... do I want a free based software that I may or may not like, and then pay for a biller? or pay for my own cloud-based billing software....? and then, of course, you have to check up on everything.... hmm. Its less worry and less need for staff if you ask me. ...

Great reports, poor customer service

Athena has a great and robust reporting module especially helpful for practices attesting for meaningful use and PCMH, the problem with this is that it is difficult to do on your own and requires a Customer service ticket which takes a long time to get answered. The charting is easy once you get your templates setup. If you do not do this on the front end (during implementation) getting help...

Better than the rest

Our practice has been using Athena for our practice management software for over 10 years and we implemented the Athenaclinicals EMR in 09/2012.

Pros

Athenaclinicals has made Meaningful Use a manageable task by providing us with resources such as a checklist, status list and recommendations to meet Meaningful Use. Also they stay informed about the latest regulations and changes so that we can focus more on treating our patients and managing our practice. The billing functionality has definitely helped improve our A/R as well as assist us in tracking encounters to ensure we bill everything our providers do. Their credentialing functionality has also been helpful in assisting with enrollment and credentialing verification. The EMR and charting functionality is very comparable to other available software.

Cons

The biggest issue we have run into in the past year is with regards to customer service. Athena has changed the way they handle issues that cannot be resolved by your initial CSC call. The only way to "speak to" or contact the people working on your issue is via Athena email. Unfortunately, this leads to miscommunication, confusion, frustration and delays in resolution. Completing certain tasks...

Doing very well with athenahealth as our EMR

Pros

I like that athenahealth is always getting ahead of new changes in the medical community so that we are easily transitioned into, say, ICD 10. I like that athenahealth is really pro-active in helping the medical practices to streamline their office to meet these changes head-on without fear of being left hanging out to dry on, say, getting paid on time. I like that athenahealth provides you with a...

Cons

Lately, when using the message board for asking questions that aren't too urgent, I find that the response takes more than a couple of weeks. It used to be that the turnaround time was a week at the most. When the response is so late, I forget what my questions were and I have to go back to re-investigate so I can resolve the issue. I've read a lot of other posts about calling in and being put on hold for a long time. When we first started with athenahealth, I did not have that trouble and I was calling upwards of 10x a day on a daily basis for a while. Lately, I rarely call but thankfully, I haven't been put on hold for more than 5 minutes. And I still do like having the ability to call when my question is urgent and I can get the help I need right away.

athenaOne means success in healthcare delivery

Pros

A trusted partner that helps us both our clinical and business model so we can successfully care for our pediatric patients and keep our doors open. I like the model that they don't make money unless we do so they just don't sell us software and forget about us and the needs of our practice. Having them constantly monitoring the healthcare environment, researching and developing products and tools means we stay on the cutting edge and can survive no matter what is sent our way by insurers, contracts, regulators and government.

Cons

Hard to answer this question because there is very little we don't like. Sure do we wish they would provide us with more developmental scored screens on the portal and help us to become even more paperless. It is not a doc in a box and the user needs to be engaged and collaborate with athenahealth to utilize and optimize the product. I don't see this as a negative. Athenahealth is growing at 30% per year and we need them to keep their pulse on the not losing the service model and support they have built their co-sourcing model on. Healthcare management has gotten more complicated and cumbersome and bridging the gap with what Athena has to offer and what practices need is a must.

I LOVE IT!

We've been using Athenahealth since 10/2010. The first year of transition took some preparation each evening before seeing the next day of patients BUT entering the notes was my pre-visit preparation and I really got to know my patients! We designed our templates, I write and use templated notes for results - my patients get their results within hours after I receive them, and their PCP gets a copy...

Pros

It is designed for me. Information is at my fingertips and I can personalize each visit just as I did with paper. No filing, no searching. Very helpful have Epocrates built into the Rx field. I've never had an issue with support not addressing my issue.

Cons

If you don't type, you won't appreciate any EMR - I take advantage of HPI, notes and Assessment fields to write/type the same note I would write in the past. (Now it's legible.) Miss having Up To Date coordinated with the chart. The system has been "out" only once in our experience - fortunately, Athena was very responsive and we were running again before we found pen/paper.