Actionstep Reviews

4.3

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.1/10

Reviews by rating

The system is a great concept. Great robust software that, if working properly, would allow practitioners to set up what they want by way of workflows and templates for each practice area.
The great strength of Actionstep is its flexibility and the ability to be quickly adapted as the business requirements change.
The search feature is fantastic, I like the website design, I like the customer service.
There are no workable precedents in my field (conveyancing – I also pay $49 for the add on). I found errors in the documents and some documents are out of date (by a number of years - and versions).

PM

Peter M.

Peter Mericka - Long-term Actionstep User

After trying no less than 5 different software packages over the years I met [SENSITIVE CONTENT] at a Legal IT conference and saw the potential of Actionstep. Over the years since I first signed up with Actionstep it has moved with the times, constantly improving but also constantly delivering the tools, staff satisfaction and safety that regulators, staff and most importantly clients have come to expect.

Pros

The ability to build my practice management system my way, using tools available within Actionstep and also through the integration of other applications.

Cons

The need to manually link incoming emails to matter files. I mention this because I came to love the ability to create a unique email address for each and every matter, but I do acknowledge that the need for higher levels of security is the reason that this feature had to be retired.

Hi Peter, Thank you for your fantastic review. Its great to hear after all these years Actionstep continues to grow with your firm. As always, please do not hesitate to contact our customer success or support teams should you have any questions. Thanks

MJ

Malinda J.

Law Practice, 11-50 employees

Lots to love about this program

Overall I recommend ActionStep to other law firms. It has vastly improved our office workflow, and the various customizable features enable our employees to address clients' needs more efficiently. The ActionStep support staff are accessible and responsive to any challenges we face, whether they involve addressing problems or learning how to implement new features. What we love: - Workflows that...

Pros

- Workflows that are customized for different types of cases - Customized tasks that are automatically assigned to particular employees - Case dashboard: the "one stop shop" for all basic info related to a case (employees involved, clients, other important players in the case, calendar appointments, notes, etc.) - Contact records that exist independently of cases but may be linked to cases -- so...

Cons

- Challenging initial setup (customization of features) - Cumbersome process to unlock encrypted zip files after backup request - Previous difficulty with calendar integration caused problems with client scheduling and has made us skittish about returning to use of the calendar, even though we see this as a high-value feature of ActionStep

PH

Peter H.

Legal Services, 1-10 employees

Upsides: File Management Downsides: Software Bugs, Customer Service, Integrations, and Set-up Costs

Unfortunately, the customer service is not up to par of that of our previous software, expect to receive a response from their support team 24-48 hours after you have contacted them. They have never answered the phone when I've called for immediate support, so I've stop trying this and just email even though i feel like for the amount we are paying we should be receiving quicker support.

Pros

We like the matter dashboard a lot and it's probably the firms favorite feature since all the most important information is readily available.

Cons

INTEGRATIONS: If you're looking to switch to AS because of the integrations they offer make sure they actually work exactly how you intend them to. Lawpay: If you use lawpay their integration is useless since it only grabs new charges and does not include any past due amounts. I brought this up because we really wanted this to function, but we were told they would not fix the issue. InfoTrack -...

Hi Peter, Thank you for your feedback. I have passed this on to our product team. I have also passed on your details to our Customer Success Manager who will reach out to you to find solutions for these pain points. Thanks, Matt

CD

Carolyn D.

Legal Services, 11-50 employees

An all round good system and makes legal practice easier and more efficient

Overall an excellent experience

Pros

The fact that the product integrates both legal case management and business management in a single platform

Cons

The plugin with Office products can be problematic sometimes. The plug in drops off when the user logs into a different device

Hi Carolyn, Thank you so much for such a positive review! Great to hear you and your firm are seeing the benefits of our all-in-one solution! Thanks

AL

Arthur L.

Legal Services, 1-10 employees

Need big improvement in billing system!!!

I used Actionstep in my previous company and it seems pretty good. However, after increasing the price, actionstep has not improved a lot and the billing system is still not work very good. At the beginning I have asked for Actionstep partner for help. But they did not come back - so I set up the actionstep by myself. It seems some of the function cannot be fully utilised.

Pros

the display of the program is good and some of the support team is quite responsive

Cons

The invoice system is terrible as it is not able to add it back to the matter. Further, the invoice system does not accept other currency billing method - this must be changed asap. Other CRM can amend the invoice on the matter file - not like actionstep need to download and upload the documents manually - that's ridiculous

Hi Arthur Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, and we very sorry you haven't had a great experience. We have made significant upgrades to our billing since this review and hope you have had the opportunity to try them. Additionally, we have recently released our Lawpay add-on which should help amend some of the issues raised here. Addressing your questions around implementation, our support team is available to answer any queries you may have to make the most of our software - support@actionstep.com Thanks

LB

Leslie B.

Law Practice, self-employed

It works!

Pros

It has a bit of a learning curve to get started, more so than some others, but it's not terrible (and I am not a techie); then it just *works*. I've been very happy with it, get great customer service when I have a question, and do not know why everyone isn't using it.

Cons

I wish it did automatic contingency fee billing and that the contacts in a company were more integrated with the company (but that may be my problem and not the software).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Actionstep! It's awesome to hear that despite the learning curve, you've had a great experience with the software and have received top-notch customer service. It's also great to hear that you appreciate the customization and human aspect of Actionstep. Your feedback on the automatic contingency fee billing and contact integration is noted too & will be passed on to the product team. Thanks again

BM

Briana M.

Legal Services, 11-50 employees

Awesome Product!

Overall, our experience with Actionstep has been great and has made the office much more efficient so that our clients receive top quality work.

Pros

We like how we can use our workflows to track each client thru the process. The reporting we receive is great and helps us stay on top of our business.

Cons

The accounting reports cannot be changed and at times the accounting functions don't work the way we would want them to.

Briana - thank you for such a positive review. Delighted your experience with Actionstep has been great. Just wanted to mention that we continually make updates to our product, including to the accounting function, so if you do have specific requests or suggestions, do funnel them through support@actionstep.com so our product team can review them in light of upcoming development. Thanks again!

Jamie M.

Legal Services, 1-10 employees

Poor customer service and communication

Very fussy product which is very hard to customise.

Pros

After hacking through the very long set up process (years) and very steep learning curve (we're lucky we're strong with IT) it does most of what we need it to do.

Cons

It's started jumping matter numbers. The last normal matter number was 620. The next number it generated was 653 and today the new number is 686. We've sent multiple emails to support and they have been generic fob off responses for critical, time sensitive issues which affect our trust accounting. We couldn't be more disappointed. After four years of using this product, I've finally been annoyed enough to write this review. Hopelessly inadequate response.

Legal Services, 1-10 employees

Great if you have time to customize

The ease of keeping track of the lifecycle of our matters makes this well worth it. I spent hours following the tutorials on how to customize it to tailor it to my specific practice. But I think they purposely make them a little vague so you'll have to resort to hiring a consultant to tailor the program. Overall it's totally worth it, but I wish it was more user friendly to customize myself.

Pros

This software is an elegant solution for volume practices that categorizes matters in useful and dynamic ways, and is interactive so you can keep track of the progress of each individual matter.

Cons

It's expensive to customize because you have to pay for a consultant to work with you on it.

Thanks for your review, and I'm happy to hear your likelihood to recommend Actionstep is 8/10. I did want to clarify that we definitely don't try to make our tutorials vague. Our customers vary from IT Managers within larger firms, to solos, so it's a fine balance between making our guides too technical, and making them user friendly for all our customers.

Richard S.

Law Practice, 11-50 employees

Actionstep evaluation

We've been able to somewhat streamline our practice administration, and we like how all case information can be contained in one place

Pros

e-mail integration is easy and seamless highly customizable excellent document management

Cons

steep learning curve weak online training materials requires a consultant to truly make it work our version does not yet sync with Quickbooks

Richard - thanks for taking the time to review Actionstep - it's great to hear such positive comments about email and document management. I just wanted to acknowledge your comments on training. We are working on improvements to our on-boarding materials will most certainly use your feedback to improve training. I will ask someone in our our support team to get in touch with you about your Quickbooks Sync. Thanks again and do get in touch with our support team anytime you need help: support@actionstep.com

AG

Andrew G.

Legal Services, 1-10 employees

Hopeless Customer Service - Technical Staff not technical - Accounts do not work

Poor experience. The salespeople were nice and I believe genuine. The techo people are not trained in real technical problems and use the excuse of putting something to the 'development' team. I am not sure the development team exists. Am on hold now for 25 minutes while I wait for someone with a small understanding to talk to me.

Pros

Cons

My accounts simply do not work. I cannot bill clients. I cannot receipt monies. I do not have an 'accounts' menu. The software has bugs and Actionstep are incapable of fixing them.

Hi Andrew, Thank you for your feedback. I have spoken with our support team to get some better understanding of your issue & apologise for the difficulty & time it took to diagnose & resolve. It is my understanding that some complex issues in how billing within your firm's system was set up had lead to you not being able to experience Actionstep in the way others have. As you have said we aim to be the most comprehensive practice management system available and these issues have limited your experience. As you are still active in Actionstep, Jae, our head of global support will personally be in touch to ensure you get the most from our software. Should you have any other questions please do not hesitate to contact our team at support@actionstep.com Thanks Matt

AS

Ashley S.

Decent legal software

We keep track of our time better, and thus bill more.

Pros

The best feature is the ability for everyone to enter their time contemporaneously. The customizable workflows are nice, though there is a bit of a learning curve to implement them. Also,it's nice to have practice management and accounting all rolled into one software.

Cons

Some of the reports aren't very good. The basic accounting reports, like the income statement and balance sheet, are fine. But some of the others, like the ones that look at time entries or payments by clients, are difficult to understand. They have some very fine nuances that aren't explained anywhere, and that makes it hard to make apples to apples comparisons if you have to use two different reports.

Hi Ashley, Thank you for such a positive review. Great to hear you have utilized Actionstep to make your firm more efficient and thus more billable time. We understand our product is comprehensive and it sounds like you have started to customize it to your needs. In regards to your custom reporting - I have put in a request to our Customer Success Manager who can help you create the reporting you require. Thanks

BC

Benard C.

Worst support

Pros

Easy to use, intuitive, and in many ways better than Leap

Cons

It has the worst customer service. No one responds and when they do, they don't get the problem and you have to explain yourself again and again. I hate their service. I hate their support. There's no phones number anywhere to contact them. I have an urgent issue and they don't care.

mm

maricatherine m.

Why I love ActionStep

We have realized many benefits from ActionStep with respect to not only just organizing the firm's information but the fact that it offers so much more regarding document saving (cloud), billing, and portal capabilities. This, in turn, will save the firm a lot of money.

Pros

The product is easy to use. It provides many opportunities for making the running of a law firm a seamless process. The support is excellent. In our firm, we are able to keep tract of Matters, Clients, Calendars, and we are just starting to use ActionStep more in-depth with respect to storing documents, creating correspondence, and billing. I cant say enough about how this software helps to organize our small firm and keeps us on track with respect to keeping track of revenue goals, etc.

Cons

Integration in our firm was somewhat difficult only due to time constraints; nothing to do with the product itself.

Hi Maricatherine, Thank you for such a positive review. Great to hear you have had an excellent experience with our support team. We are delighted your experience with Actionstep has been great. If you do have specific requests or suggestions, please do not hesitate to email support@actionstep.com so our product team can assess them in light of upcoming development. Thanks

SM

Scott M.

Law Practice,

Effective and Efficient Law Practice Management

Pros

I now have an almost complete solution to practice management. Before, I had no system, no way of keeping things straight. But then I started to become too busy to keep track of things in my mind, and it started getting chaotic. That's where Actionstep has saved my practice from disorganization. I track all of my time and do all of my billing from Actionstep. I keep my entire database of contacts on Actionstep. Trust ledger accounting is great. Tasks, calendar reminders, document storage, file notes. It's all great. When a client calls, I quickly pull up their file and *bam*, there's everything. There are many other useful features that I know I just haven't even tapped into yet.

Cons

- There is a pretty steep learning curve, and the user guides aren't always that helpful. Sometimes I find myself spending 20 minutes trying to figure out a very simple thing, like how to reopen a matter that I accidentally closed. - Before using Actionstep, I kept everything on Google Drive. Great, Actionstep integrates Google Drive. But not as well as I would like it to be integrated. I had to...

JS

Jinny S.

This product does everything that we were hoping for!

Pros

I think I trialed almost all of the major case management software companies out there and this company blew all of the others out of the water for me. The product is reliable and does exactly what we need. Before we purchased this product I had to do most of my work manually and things would slip through the cracks. This product has resolved that issue. I also love the document generation feature...

JS

Jennifer S.

Love this Legal Practice Management Software

Everyone in our uses Actionstep daily - from saving emails to a matter to organizing documents in folders, to linking appointments in the calendar, to emailing bills and tracking unbilled or unpaid items.

Pros

This software is intuitive and easy to use. It is logical, very organized and user friendly - similar to using an app on your phone. The calendar is great too! This is miles above any other legal software I have used.

Cons

I wish the developers would figure out a way to import contact addresses to correspondence. Also, the accounting software can be a little cumbersome and has a learning curve.

Hi Jennifer, Thank you for such a positive review. We are delighted your experience with Actionstep has been great. I have passed your feedback on to the product team. If you do have specific requests or suggestions, please do not hesitate to email support@actionstep.com so our product team can assess them in light of upcoming development. Thanks

JP

John P.

Insurance, 1-10 employees

Florida Hurricane Adjusters

We are very please with the results and organization this program gives us!!!!

Pros

Very customizable!!!! This gives us everything we need to sort through as many files as we give it! We can sort via very specific criteria!

Cons

Although we are the kind of people that put a lot of time into things we want exactly the way we want them, we don't believe too many others are willing to put in the time to learn this program to customize it to their liking. The people that do put in the time will be greatly rewarded. This is the best program for Law Firms and Public Adjusters.

John - thank you for your really positive comments about Actionstep. We are delighted you have customized the system to the way you want it to work for Florida Hurricane Adjusters. One of the things we believe in at Actionstep is supporting unique and valuable ways of working!

Legal Services, self-employed

So close!

Main features looked good enough, but without the ability to charge 2 sales taxes this was a non-starter for me.

Pros

The automation is fantastic. Once you learn how to use the triggers and actions effectively you can run a much smoother operation.

Cons

No option for 2 sales taxes, which is essential in my jurisdiction.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We're happy to hear that you found the automation in our platform to be fantastic, and that it's helped you run a smoother operation. We're sorry to hear that we did not have the specified options for taxes that you require. We understand that this is an important feature for your jurisdiction, and we'll take your feedback into account as we continue to improve and update our platform. We appreciate you considering Actionstep as a potential solution and apologize that we weren't able to meet all of your needs at this time. If you have any further feedback or questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to our support team. Thank you again for your time and consideration.

MD

Mark D.

Best Practice Management Software for running your practice as a checklist/process

If you want a practice management system that actually will ensure you do not miss a step when undertaking a certain piece of legal work, then ActionStep is your best solution. I have tried other practice management solutions, but none of them take the unique approach of allowing you to drive each of your client matters in a series of logical steps/actions so you do not miss any essential task when...

Cons

Thank you for the feedback Mark.

MG

Max G.

Legal Services, 1-10 employees

Finicky platform - arbitratry and unpredictable pricing

Terrible. Would not recommend. Looking for alternative providers now.

Pros

Decent practice management software, but terrible pricing structure. Have changed pricing drastically in the last couple of years and just introduced new access fee component which drastically increased cost of subscription

Cons

See above notes on costs. Do not recommend.

af

anne f.

Legal Services, self-employed

NO buyers remorse here

Pros

its ability to intergrate calendar/ email / documents into one plac.e

Cons

adding things can be difficult, it can be very slow and freeze. It is difficult to load letter heads etc if they are not the selected size More compatibility with MAC would be better

Hi Anne - thanks for your great review. I just wanted to follow up to let you know that we have recently released an update to our system to allow Mac users to more easily edit and manage documents. See an overview and further resources here: https://blog.actionstep.com/making-document-management-easier-for-actionsteps-mac-users

JB

Joe B.

Actionstep is a powerful practice management solution, but that power comes with its own challenges.

Pros

Actionstep is nearly infinitely customizable, and its orientation around workflows offers great promise for automating certain routine tasks. The user interface is logical, and each screen is packed with the information you would expect to see. The layout minimizes unnecessary keystrokes and scrolling to find the most important information related to a case or a contact. Document automation works very well. Likewise, time keeping is straightforward and easy. Recent upgrades have improved the billing process significantly.

Cons

Power comes at a price, in this case in the form of time. Actionstep is not an application for the faint of heart or those unwilling to devote significant time to onboarding and setup. Many users may find a consultant necessary to complete that process.

Legal Services, 1-10 employees

works well but needs improvement

Pros

helpful that it is cloud based, can access anywhere

Cons

no advanced search function to search for all possible results

Thanks for your positive feedback. Just a quick tip on Advanced Search. If you go to the "More.." menu in the top navigation bar you will find an "Advanced Search" option (if you don't see this menu it might be a permission setting. Our support team can help you with that support@actionstep.com). You can also use our Conflict Check report as an advanced search with many filters. Hope that helps

JW

Jason W.

Atrocious Customer Support

Our business remains potentially exposed by Actionstep's limitations and their failure to acknowledge or fix them.

Pros

Generally pretty good system to use, but don't believe all the features they offer are actually implemented properly.

Cons

Emails "stored" in their system are lost and/or corrupted and are irretrievable. Once a ticket is raised with their support you will be ignored.