Microsoft OneNote Reviews

Microsoft OneNote

Collaboration and file management

4.47/5 (613 reviews)

Pros
  • Following are the things i love about the application. Love the support in the application for multimedia.Ishan S.Read the full review
  • I found this one of the best ways to organize history for complex issues. I am sure there are more uses but if you have a lot of long term issues that you want to document this is a good way to do it.Scotty S.Read the full review
  • My notes are very organized with OneNote and that is thanks to their easy to use and intuitive user interface. I am very happy with OneNote being a note taking app for me.Stephen C.Read the full review
Cons
  • Ve lost entire pages due to syncing issues and the worst part is they have completely removed the functionality to back up your notes locally. Avoid this until/if this issue is fixed.Steve D.Read the full review
  • Working within a page is not always intuitive. Text blocks get merged into each other and in order to avoid it you have to create a text block further down the page which can quickly get disorganized.Veejay M.Read the full review
  • I have now worked at two jobs where we were forced to delete the Notebooks and start over due to an error or a corrupted OneNote Tab within Teams. Its a bit cumbersome in the mobile format on the app.Bridgette S.Read the full review
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Jessa Dance

Office Product with the fewest syncing issues.

Reviewed 2019-01-14

Pros
I'm completely dependent on OneNote. It's so easy to use and flexible, it holds every project in my life now, from planning out and organizing 60 slide competitor analysis presentations, to scheduling recipes for meal plans. It plays well with the other products, and unlike Word, I've never had a problem with syncing conflicts and generating unnecessary backup local copies, and I have yet to lose a single word of work. In fact, for one of my books, I didn't use Word at all and ended up doing all the chapters in the same planning pages I kept in OneNote. It's my secret weapon when it comes to brainstorming and organization and I can't believe more people don't use it, but then again, I am a more visual/creative person, so the ability to quickly throw notes or record a message and be able to arrange, sort or search and actually find it later is vital. Years ago, I used to use Springpad, and since then, I've tried Trello, Evernote, and all kinds of apps, but nothing has stuck.

Cons
Very few, it's so flexible it fills in a lot of gaps. I'd like it to be more visually customizable, like if you could add a backdrop of a chart or table similar to the Stormboard templates. Right now it just has a few pastel colors and lined and gridded paper types.

Phil Blake

OneNote for every note!

Reviewed 2020-02-27
Review Source: Software Advice

I use onenote for business meetings for note taking, tracking takeaways and sharing them with the whole team. We all have access to the same notes, same takeaways and can all add to the meeting notes. I also like to use it for keeping track of information I might come across that I want to follow up on at some point, putting my ideas down so I don't forget them. Clipping articles/webpages so I can refer back to it. Create to-do lists.

Pros
If you are working in the Microsoft eco system OneNote is a must. Taking notes and keeping track of information is simple since it is tied into every Office/O365 application; Sharepoint, Word, Outlook even when browsing the web. Can be used for note taking during business meetings, training/school, planning vacations, shopping list. Uses are limit less. Best of all you can do it from what ever device you have with you and your notes will be available to you everywhere.

Cons
Onenote is such a powerful tool that it can be overwhelming to get a grasp on all that it can do and how to best use it for your situation.

Francesco Fidecaro

Replacement for blackboard

Reviewed 2020-07-09
Review Source: Software Advice

I use OneNote to lecture, using hand writing to match note taking pace of students. We think that for physics note taking and home reviewing them is an essential step in learning as it stimulates immediate questioning if something is not understood. Projecting the screen affords for large class rooms. Changing colors, moving sketches around works well, notes can then be turned into pdf or edited to produce better hand out. I use finite size sheets to distribute notes, during the lecture I use a continuous sheet. The notebook is on OneDrive and is available in different devices, which is sometimes useful. Overall this made a change from blackboard and chalk, and when remote lecturing came due to pandemics I did not change lecture habits. These habits might look old fashioned but for some subjects that require reasoning, sketches, math, numerical computations, comparison with graphs, I feel these are necessary and OneNote gives a good support

Pros
Handwriting with a Microsoft Surface and its pen is easy, erasing is natural, select and move also. You can color your handwriting afterwards. For lecturing you can enlarge what you wrote, or pick up a detail of a sketch. I use it with small squares, which help writing in an orderly way. Printing can be of a single sheet, a section or more. The vey few times I went into a crash, recovery was fast and essentially no data was lost, all essential in a lecture.

Cons
Sometimes, quite rarely, the whole sheet moves, it probably depends on how you approach your hand before positioning for writing, this might be something inherent to pen tablets. In older versions the management of the sheet format (finite size vs infinite) was easier.

Anonymous

Many problems for a renowned product

Reviewed 2020-05-10

I would give this a 3/5 star but considering how well-known and popular it is, then I can't give it more than a 2 star. It's ok. Note this is the windows Microsoft Windows 10 version which is not the same as the Office 365 Onenote 2016 ... let alone others. MS Whiteboard has issues but is much better overall.

Pros
Pros: Wide range of functionality. You can convert to different file types and insert files into it rather easily. It has great cloud support and is overall easy to access.

Cons
Cons: There is great support for onenote on the web, but at least 90% of the searches I've done to troubleshoot an issue or functionality apply to one type of Onenote and not another... for some reason. I've spent many hours troubleshooting options that don't exist for one type or another. Example: The ink-to-math is not present in this version. The ink-to-draw is not present in the office 365 version. Why? There is a view option of fitting what's been drawn to the page width which will also show up if printed to a .pdf. What's bad is that there is no option for displaying where the pages end. I saw a comment from a developer about this saying that it would be too difficult. But I know they could figure out a way to do that. There are so many option. Just have the length of each page increase if a user increases the width to the right. That could cause issues if the user wants the content displayed on certain pages. So, have the page separators actually splice the content shown and add whitespace if page width/length grows ... or shrink/grow content of pages accordingly like a picture. Or, when in "page view mode" like this, warm the user if they are trying to grow pages sizes ... or just have a fixed page size in this mode! My main issue: Why it is so glitchy with an epen. If I tap the screen it wants me to type - this happens a lot when I'm scrolling and not tapping also. The developers didn't input an option to make the pen the default and disable tap to keyboard.

Likelihood to recommend: 4/10

Daniela Easter

Keeps my Lesson Plans Organized!

Reviewed 2020-04-09
Review Source: Software Advice

OneNote has organized me, kept me organized and improved the efficiency of using my lesson planning system. As all of my lesson are divided by program, it has allowed me to standardize all the files.

Pros
What I love the most about this program is that all my files are visible at a glance. The easy tab system allows for quick flipping from one file to another. I also use the screen clipping feature a lot for images, articles or keeping track of bill payments.

Cons
As I was used to the 2016 version, I did find it difficult to adjust to the new layout of the latest update. After so many years of daily use, my eyes automatically searched in the same way.

Sophia Glikman

Great program to organize, search and store your notes

Reviewed 2020-04-24
Review Source: Software Advice

Even though using OneNote requires you to be signed up for OneDrive, it still is a lot cheaper than buying a premium version of its competitors. To get similar functionality as OneNOte, you woud need to buy a premium version if you are going with a competitors.

Pros
Save and organize digital notes, typed or handwritten. You can tag your notes and search for it at a later time. There are many preset tags such as remind tag, to do tag, etc. When it comes to organizing abiities, OneNote beats its competitors. You can place these tags on any section, notebooks, pages. It also allows you to save different type of information on the same page, such as pictures, to-do lists and notes. Cost wise it is also better than its competition.

Cons
OneNote storage comes from OneDrive. If you want to use OneNote, you will need to sign up for OneDrive.

Great way to take notes

Reviewed 2020-05-05

I have been using this software for about 2 years now for school. I like it because my classes use PDFs instead of powerpoints so I can download the PDFs and insert them into one note and type under the PDF slides. It is also nice to have the pictures and my own notes all in one place.

Pros
I love that I can download class PowerPoints/PDF files and then type into them with one note. It makes note taking so much easier because everything is in one place. I love that you can also draw and add pictures if needed. It is great for all kinds of learners.

Cons
I think it can be a little intimidating at first. I think a tutorial on how to use it would have made it less intimidating.

Joseph J. K. Workman

powerful note taking application with advances knowledge base capabilities

Reviewed 2020-02-05

Very useful pieces of software that integrates well into SharePoint services for all sized business.

Pros
One Note gives many of its competitors a real run for their value! It is an easy to use application that is expansive. It integrates well with SharePoint and other Microsoft 365 products for a complete solution for your small, medium or large complex business.

Cons
There isn't much to dislike about the software. While I wish they would better support mark down files and maybe improve the import and export function the rest of the package is top notch.

The best note taker

Reviewed 2020-06-23

Pros
I love the fact that as I type in my notes the application automatically saves what I have typed. I do not need to worry about tapping a save button and this save me lots of time. Also, if you link your Microsoft account, content is automatically backed up to the cloud and this is a huge plus.

Cons
I think an export feature should be added to the app to allow greater flexibility

Jeremy Hancock

Perfect for Note Taking

Reviewed 2020-04-22

Love this product! It is quick and easy for note taking.

Pros
This is a great tool for note taking. Very easy to organize notes into sections and pages. I especially enjoy making lists using the checklist feature.

Cons
When I update a page, I would like for OneNote to record when the note was made. I would like to see an audit trail of the notes that I have made within each page.

Miguel Gonzalez

All your notes in one place

Reviewed 2018-11-19
Review Source: Software Advice

OneNotres has been a part of my arsenal of tools for the enterprise environment. I have used it on a personal level as well. I have used both the loal and cloud version, choosing the cloud due to my ability to access from any device. You can also add a local copy, depending on your subscription level, and sync your online content to your local machine. This helps in keeping your data in 2 places at once.

Pros
Microsoft OneNotes offer a single place to enter, manage and access all your notes. It provides flexibility in how you organize your content. From simple note taking to more complex graphics and images, OneNotes lets you organize in efficient ways. The use of tags helps you find what you need across multiple notebooks, section and pages. No more having to navigate through complex and cumbersome folder hierarchies. OneNotes is a massive repository tool that takes the place of many other tools. Using OneNotes rids you of separate Tasks or To Do lists, file repositories, and even digital media. OneNotes lets you combine all your electronic files into a single place and manage it in a way that works for you. This level of flexibility is what gives OneNotes the power it has and its popularity.

Cons
OneNotes tend to have a different layout between the online version and the downloaded version. This might bring some confusion to some users. Microsoft is moving more towards the cloud, and until this becomes the norm and their downloadable applications can mimic the cloud experience, there might be a bit of a learning curve.

Likelihood to recommend: 9/10

Mohd Nouman

A centralized location for all your notes

Reviewed 2019-03-06
Review Source: Software Advice

Currently, I used OneNote to organized my meeting's notes and to attach them into an email so it's easy for me to send it to my colleagues. This is sometimes very useful when you are in hurry and wanted to inform what are the points were discussed in the meeting. Secondly, it is also very convenient to use it on all the platforms whether I wanna use it on my phone or my computer. I am exploring more ways as this is a powerful tool and has very few limitations which make it value for money.

Pros
it gives you the ability to create your notes as you create on a physical notebook, moreover, this notebook can be accessed from anywhere as long as you have access to the internet. The most unique part of OneNote is you can add multimedia and create your documents as much presentable as want. These documents can also be shared with others like your friends or colleagues, it would make this software as a one-stop solution for most of the writing and editing of your notes. I used many older versions of OneNote and then after upgrading to new versions of OneNote I came to know that your older note will not get erased. you can also use OneNote app for your smartphones which makes easier to modify your changes or to view any documents on the go.

Cons
One thing I would ever want in OneNote is the integration between various platforms, Currently, Onenote allows you to create notes or documents to share it with only OneNote users, whereas if I want to share it with Evernote users it will not give me an option for that. Moreover, I can not even import Evernote's documents notes into OneNote or vice versa. There are other ways through which you can do it but for that one has to download a migration tool. The security is also one of the issues which I always take into consideration when creating any personal note where I wanted it to be encrypted with a password. There should be some ways into OneNote where you can have a personal space which can be used for those secure documents.

Nithya Gopalakrishnan

One of the ideal choice for people who like to be organised!

Reviewed 2019-02-17
Review Source: Software Advice

Pros
I’ve always struggled to find an app that streamlined all the notes that I have to save. When I first started using one note in 2017, it was a great way to gather all my thoughts in one place. I can continue where I left off and choose how I want to divide them into different sections and headings! I’ve also been able to advise a lot of small companies where I coach managers to start using this as a tool to share ideas amongst team members who can then grow the ideas further by brainstorming! I’ve been hearing positive feedback from other users to whom I have recommended this great software to.

Cons
If it is being used in team situations, if all the members of the team don’t get to use the product in the same way or understand the use of the note and it’s purpose, then it can be hard to collaborate using software. However the help guides can always be handy to solve such issues! So I don’t really have much negatives other than team environments where too many different heads thinking differently might complicate the notes sharing process.

Loralee Hutton

Easier than Evernote

Reviewed 2017-10-26

Pros
I started using Onenote in 2007, and used it for everything. Then, everyone began recommending Evernote and I jumped on the bandwagon, but years later I realized that I was only saving things in Evernote - not accessing the information, using my checklists, etc. This year I've switched back to using Onenote and haven't looked back. It's at my fingertips with all of my devices, loads quickly, and everything is sorted in a way that makes logical sense to me. I can capture things I've found from around the web with the webclipper tool (very similar to the way the webclipper works with Evernote) I can even use the bookmarks tool to add personal notes, recommendations and then share with other entrepreneurs.

Cons
- sharing sections of a onenote doc with others often requires them to log in, even if it's just set to "view only" - Moving items between Folders is difficult (moving to other sections inside a folder is easy) - it doesn't integrate with as many other apps as Evernote

Richard Ponsonby

Worth mastering to organise and find notes

Reviewed 2019-01-06
Review Source: Software Advice

It is worth planning how to use OneNote. As a basic principle, I have all my filing structured the same across my apps and devices. My folders, bookmarks, emails and OneNote notes all share the same structure. This formed a good starting point when I decided to use OneNote seriously. the best thing is to get going, reflect and improve.

Pros
Excellent search across all books. Highly flexible note taking: Type written, sketch, shapes, links to urls (useful for research) as well as to files and other notebooks Tags that work across different notebooks. Section and page groupings Ability to move sections and pages to other locations. Text formatting with headings Extract to MS Word - useful for grouping notes from interviews or enquiries Integrates seamlessly to OneNote on Android

Cons
No native vba engine to add functionality such as date sorting. This can be overcome by buying Onetastic add ins which are also modifiable. Two versions of OneNote if you install MS Office. At least the pen button can now be configured to open the desired version of OneNote.

Forrest Pugh

Great Product for all the odd notes and document snippets you have

Reviewed 2019-08-14
Review Source: Software Advice

This tool is great for getting all topically related content into one place for organization, sharing, and even simple presentations (no, everything doesn't need to be a PowerPoint).

Pros
This is very intuitive, easy to use, and flexible. No you don't want to replace Word or Excel with it, but you DO want to paste documents and spreadsheets into it that belong together - in fact anything that belongs "together" can pretty much be pasted in and formatted so that you can find and present it fast and easily.

Cons
Not much to dislike - it could use a bit beefier spell checking (which I think is actually in a newer version than I use), and some tools to layout the pages a bit better would be nice - please Microsoft DON'T use the one in Visual Studio as a starting point!

Victor Arana

OneNote for all! Long Live Microsoft OneNote

Reviewed 2018-05-09

Pros
The TCO is very attractive since this handy app comes with MS Office 365 or 2016, older versions has it too. The App allows you to freely add notes handwriting and store images within the content, and the most exciting thing is that you can use in your computer, on the web, on your phone, tablet or wherever you go you can sync your notes. Sharing notebooks grants a plus to this app for fast and easy collaboration in real time with others. Even if they do not have the app themselves.

Cons
I'd like that the app could have the option to save files of greater than 100MB in OneNote. This would allow the use of embdedded video for instance. Rather than the File storage limit I didn't found any other negative aspect. Improve first-use sync/download time and experience, sometimes gets lagged on the first sync or under LTE bad connections using smartphones. On Android can crash sometimes if the app is not up to date with the latest releases.

Sandy Morgan

OneNote helps me keep track of business and life

Reviewed 2018-06-12
Review Source: Software Advice

I use OneNote every day, all day. It has my daily tasks and I journal it in at night. I have been able to go mostly paperless as a result of using OneNote in my life.

Pros
The best thing about OneNote is the search feature. I have 140 notebooks and without the robust search feature, it would be difficult to find things so quickly. OneNote is easy to use and helps me organize and track everything from medical information to client data. It also integrates with Outlook, Word and Excel, making workflow very streamlined. I use all the versions including desktop, online and the mobile app - allowing me to have all my information readily available all the time. I create checklists, templates, and forms in addition to free style writing.

Cons
It's difficult to find anything negative about this software. If anything, the limited functionality of the online version (onenote.com) compared to the desktop version would be my only complaint.

Justin Harbin

Microsoft OneNote

Reviewed 2017-11-21
Review Source: Software Advice

I love onenote! It has revolutionized my ability to collaborate with others and take personal notes for meetings or other work functions.

Pros
Incredibly easy collaboration for use across teams. A key feature here is the default setting that bolds all text added by other users, making it very easy to identify comments or additions made since your lost log in. Additionally, the hierarchy of notebook-sections-pages allows for categorization of large amounts of information. The ability to type or hand-write (if you have a touch device) really provides flexibility and a true alternative to written notebooks. You can also convert comments or ideas to to-do action items with check boxes. Finally, the ability to drag and drop files takes this notebook to the next level compared to similar products.

Cons
The primary con is consistency in syncing up notebooks between users. When I collaborate with others, i encounter sync issues occasionally. Any breakdowns typically occur the first time the onenote is opened, but once both users are able to access the notebook this issue seems to not be a problem.

Bridgette Sauve

Simple and Efficient

Reviewed 2019-01-31
Review Source: Software Advice

Great product, useful for both personal and business needs! Would highly recommend to the public.

Pros
1) All your meeting minutes, engagement notes and general notes are located in 1 easy to reach location 2) Pages can easily be sub-divided and color coded, making it effortless to organize your notes, and stay that way 3) The platform's color scheme is fantastic lets be honest!

Cons
1) I am not a huge fan of the lack of connectivity to Microsoft Teams. I have now worked at two jobs where we were forced to delete the Notebooks and start over due to an error or a corrupted OneNote Tab within Teams 2) Its a bit cumbersome in the mobile format on the app. Still gets the job done but it could be improved 3) I would appriciate the ability to add more "tabs" before the section tab. I know it sounds odd, but in One Note you can only add a section tab and a pages tab after, I would like a 3rd level of differentation.

Anonymous

As a writer, OneNote is indispensable.

Reviewed 2018-12-08

Pros
For a writer, OneNote is indispensable. When writing, you want to have an outline fleshed out so that once you start writing, it's easy to connect the dots since you've already done the pre-work. OneNote enables this easily. I can create separate sections for Characters, Outlines, Plotting, and Settings. Within those sections, I have pages such as Character 1, 2, 3 etc. Arc 1, 2, 3, Cities, Shops, Homes. Once I start writing, I keep the outlines section open, where I break it into 5 10,000 word pages. If I need any information from the other sections or pages, it's as easy as clicking over to them. Since I started doing this, plotting and outlining is a breeze.

Cons
Exporting as a PDF isn't available online, you have to have the local for that. Sometimes it doesn't sync well, so I have to manually re-sync the two to get things back in order. My biggest con though is that my sort order doesn't stay put. Whenever I log out, the next day, my sections aren't in the order I put them in, so I have to go back and re-organize them. It's definitely a pain that, while it's a small issue, when you do it every single day it adds up to a rather large annoyance.

Andy Kerperien

Great organization tool for any type of project

Reviewed 2017-09-15
Review Source: Software Advice

Pros
I love the fact that no matter what type of project, from buying a new accounting software to filling positions within our company, OneNote allows me to organize all of my documents (pdfs, word docs, excel spreadsheets, etc) all in one place. OneNote also allows me to create bullet points, check lists, and even collaborate my work with others on the project. Best of all is the access I have from a variety of devices including my Apple Watch, MacBook, Windows based laptop, etc.

Cons
Within a tab it is often hard to make individual pages easy to understand that they are beneath/ under another page. Very rarely I have to step back and reevaluate my organizational strategy and have to reformat my "books" or tabs. By no means is that the end of the world. Just rarely can break my workflow and cost me an extra minute or two.

Daniel Godard

Better than Evernote

Reviewed 2018-12-11
Review Source: Software Advice

Pros
I used to use Evernote, but there’s a limit when using it for free on how many devices you can have their app installed and syncing with the service. OneNote does everything I need with a phone, tablet, and computer. It also has more formatting features for formatting your notes and texts than other services have. Organizing notes and tabs are incredibly easy and helpful. I love the ability to use a surface pen to write the notes or to use checkboxes to make to-do items in the same note instead of needing to use something else.

Cons
Most of the time, I don’t have any issues with syncing between devices using OneNote. Every once in a while, there are conflicts with it not saving to the cloud properly. When OneNote loads the differing notes, it’s not always easy to consolidate the differences.

Alex Thermenos

Robust, Quick, Multi-Functional

Reviewed 2018-07-03
Review Source: Software Advice

By far, the most robust note-taking app I've yet encountered. More than you need if all you want to do is take notes, but excellent if you want to do much, much more.

Pros
Best search feature I've encountered in a note-taking app. Lightning-fast search functionality. The search functionality is so good, two of our teams use this as an information repository. Handwriting feature set is exceptional. Upload from mobile to desktop is speedy. Love the ability to drop entire spreadsheets or emails, etc., into a note and include a screenshot or even some of the source app's functionality.

Cons
Notebook>Tab>Note structure is a little unwieldy, but you get the hang of it. Because you can fit so much data into a single note, downloads to mobile devices can be slow. Cloud-based usage is frustratingly laggy, but this is true of all MS products.

Likelihood to recommend: 9/10

Anonymous

One Note - You got everything You need to note.

Reviewed 2019-01-13

Pros
A clear and simple tool for anyone to organize notes, perform some structure and never lose his\her brilliant ideas, thoughts or product list for shopping. One Note gives an opportunity to save various notes, edit them, add links, pictures, etc. One of the brightest things are - several notebooks in one place, handwriting (you can write down or draw any idea without typing or taking pictures), sharing. While sharing some of your notes you can start a collaboration or share your insights with your team.

Cons
I can't mention something really serious. Up to me, it's a good tool, one of the MS still working well nothing to say about Skype and others. In addition, it would be great to have a browser plugin, as far as I know, there is none right now.