Microsoft OneDrive Reviews

4.42/5 (6,809 reviews)

Stacy R. Ginn

Document sharing and offline storage all in one

Reviewed 2019-11-19

We had too many files sharing programs and were spending a lot of money. One Drive allowed us to cut our costs and use other options less often at a lower cost of ownership.

Pros
What I like most about One Drive is the integration with Microsoft Office and Exchange. It also works very well with Windows file manager.

Cons
It used to be harder to share with outsiders unless they had a Microsoft account, but now seems to be fixed. Don't like how it can get crossed with Sharepoint.

Radoslav Batinov

OneDrive - your data everywhere with you

Used monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed 2019-11-17

I have been using it firstly for personal purposes. I have been using it as a student when I needed to store my projects and files on a place where I can easily access. I saved energy for carrying my personal PC all to the University with me. With OneDrive I just uploaded my files and access them on the University PCs which was one big utility for me. And secondly, I have been using it in work with Office 365. It was very powerful to store our projects and documents which had the need to be shared with the team. This eased us with sending e-mails with attachments which is slower and not enough secure. So I pretty recommend using this Cloud Service because in 2019 we all need a secure, Cloud place, where we can store and access files from everywhere.

Pros
I think OneDrive is a cool app because of: 1. It is a Cloud-based app where you can store all your personal or business information - from photos, videos, to documents, charts, projects and much more. 2. The coolest thing is that you can access your files from everywhere. You do not need to carry your PC with personal files everywhere. You can go to a trip wide away and you can access your files from your phone, or even some other PC or laptop - no flash drives, no CDs or DVDs - only Internet connection. 3. In 2019 I think security is also one very important thing - and OneDrive supports this. I think everything should be encrypted for security purposes and everyone who also searches this - should take a look at OneDrive. 4. You can share your projects or files with your friends, family or teamwork with just a few clicks and via one link - no more attachments through e-mails or skype or any kind of chatting program. Just with sending the link everyone with the right permissions can access the files and read, download or edit them. 5. Furthermore, you can set an expiration for the shareable links which is a cool feature to limit access to the link. 6. It has free storage - you can try the app or you can just use it for small purposes. Of course, if you like it you can pay for much more space and the prices are quite good. 7. And for me, one final feature is that it is supported by Office 365 which is very useful for business purposes.

Cons
Till now I have not any inconvenience with the app. For my purposes, it is very easy to use, no extra redundant menus and intuitive app.

Imi Chitterman

OneDrive by itself is lonely, but with Office 365 it is your Knight in Armour

Reviewed 2019-11-07

Collobration and team sharing is not just solved but it allows the team to be flexible in their collaboration. I can create an excel chart and link it in real time into a Word document, without any consideration for future changes made in the excel, all will automatically be updated in the Word document. This is really useful when teams are working on important topics, but done need to be concerned about tools and technologies. It work!

Pros
OneDrive with integration with apps such as Word, Excel, etc. creates the full eco system for the modern, mobile and collaborative office. Online and Offline sync tools allows me to walk with my files, on any device . I love the fact that you can share a file with a friend, open it within the browse, but allow the Word or Excel file to be edited directly on your PC without worrying about "where the files is saved". OneDrive make you work with your files in multiple location but ensure that it is one file that were are all working on. Security controls over sharing is also good.

Cons
If you are in a low bandwidth environment, then prepare yourself to have time where OneDrive desktop tool will fully consume all the bandwidth...… However, everything from 1MB to 10GB seem to sync very fast. I do think the constant changes forced by the owners of this product acts as a demerit. One day you know the system and its settings, next day you are just lost, because they decided to push a new release.

Brad Crumb

Like Google Drive/Dropbox but with better Office Integration

Reviewed 2019-11-06

Great for working in teams - especially when using MS Office like word, PowerPoint, and Excel for company documents. Ideally paired with Office 365

Pros
Works really well for company work where you can access it anywhere but also have it synced to your computer. performance when synced is the same as if working on your local machine - no additional lag or delays. You can choose what is kept locally synced vs. what appears in the folder but stored in the cloud. Great for workstations with SSD's with limited storage. Integration with Windows Explorer is very good as well with easy to understand icons. Working from OneDrive directories allows you to use "autosave" which is nice.

Cons
Can be confusing to some coworkers when it comes to explaining whether a file is actually contained in a folder or simply listed and available to download. Have had issues with coworkers thinking they have files on OneDrive but are actually working in a directory that is not synced. This is not a OneDrive issue but I can see how the less tech-savvy might have a hard time with this. The autosave can be annoying when I am used to making changes and then "Save As" for the cases where I'm worried an Excel macro might screw up my data

One of the best Cloud storage for Business users

Reviewed 2019-11-05

We started using One Drive to share larger files with internal users then we realize it is the best way to share or store data for the users who are always on the move. The advantage of having mobile apps and can access from anywhere in the world helped us to give access to users who are on the move so they can use mobiles, IPads or devices to access the files they want. Then we enabled auto-sync and create which folder will sync with user computer and OneDrive. Easiness of how we can share files or folder with other users makes Business users and IT life easy. One drive is like you are having personal Sharepoint which enables you to sync with your computer's folders with all the Sharepoint access on a Cloud.

Pros
User-friendly GUI Able to access from anywhere in the world no need specific LAN access. It even can access from the mobile app which helps users who are on the go. Automatic sync option with your laptop/desktop folders with One Drive. Able to share folder access or file access with any other user easily. A great method to share larger files with another party without any issue.

Cons
In our case we cannot share with the third party only within our domain ( Our organization users ) can share. Not sure this is an internal setting.

Jonathan Commanday

Microsoft One Drive

Reviewed 2019-10-23

Works very well as a standard personal cloud file management tool for both personal use and business use. Lacking many advanced options found in Google/Box for public file sharing. Works well with eDiscovery and other legal and compliance tools Has improved greatly over time with real-time collaboration and automatic saving Simple to implement and rollout as it is native with MS Office Continue to grow its footprint in my current company as an alternative to File Shares

Pros
Industry standard software works natively with MS Office Allows sharing and collaboration of files with anyone and anywhere Simple to use and and administer Compliant for regulations and easily searchable/discoverable

Cons
Sharing options are very limited for outside users and difficult to control once in the wild Administration is not robust, still old style Security is lacking especially for the uninitiated Plays well with MS not so well with other tools

Jason Roe

Simple backup for when your pc dies

Reviewed 2019-10-15

Very good. It's reliable and I've never lost a file.

Pros
Even though I have a great pc, a surface pro 5, it will die every once in awhile. I'll then head to the microsoft store and I'll be handed a new one. Within a few minutes, all my files are restored. How? OneDrive.

Cons
Limited storage. 1 TB sounds like a lot... not enough for heavy users who have old video files that aren't organized yet.

peter VALTERS

Very Good Collaboration Tool

Reviewed 2019-10-04
Review Source: Software Advice

We tend to share files with Volunteers who are working with staff, this provided an easy way to share the files and also ensure that the most current is the one everyone is working from. Very easy for non technical people to learn and get up to speed on.

Pros
Gives us the ability to share files across the organization both internally and externally. Since we are an Microsoft shop, it also integrates well into our other tools. We also use SharePoint but this is a easier file sharing tool that is easier for all to pick up.

Cons
Ownership of the file remains with the individual as opposed to anyone. Access tends to be restricted until invites or links are sent.

Eric Garneau

OneDrive for Business : great sharing tool, but still needs some features to become #1

Reviewed 2019-09-30

OneDrive for Business use has been a trial and error or work-in-progress product for our internal usage. Some iOS apps like Dictate+Connect and GoodReader do not offer built-in OneDrive for Business support to import or export some content, even though the OneDrive consumer version was possible. Having two versions of same product created confusion and frustration that led us put on hold the widespread use of OneDrive on our mobile iOS clients. Sharing files with external partners was brought back to Dropbox Business for larger commitees that couldn't easily handle the added steps for authentication.

Pros
What we like about OneDrive for Business is obviously its tight integration with the Microsoft ecosystem. Sharing Microsoft Word and Excel documents with colleagues is now seamless and best of all, is the automatic saving and versioning! Makes backups less a necessity. Also the quality of the iOS OneDrive application is a great value for our mobile users. Integration with other key apps that our users have on their iPhone or iPad is a real advantage for efficiently transferring files.

Cons
Some of the features that are added might be less refined with our French-Canadian language localised Windows workstations. For example, the Folder redirection of Desktop function puts a "Desktop" folder in the OneDrive account instead of the "Bureau" that is usually found on the local Windows computer. Therefore using the Desktop button in the standard save/open file dialog is a bit confusing. Also, the fact that Guests cannot have a OneDrive account to access shared files and folders like Dropbox brings some added steps (security codes) to give access to shared folders.

David Yurkovich

So far...so great!

Reviewed 2019-09-19

Overall, my experience with OneDrive has been overwhelmingly positive. It's simple to map OneDrive to your local desktop (simply clicking "Sync" from the OneDrive dashboard is all it takes). This enables you to work on files directly from your desktop rather than going out to the OneDrive site. It's super-convenient and saves us tons of time.

Pros
We decided to try OneDrive by Microsoft for our file management needs after using SharePoint for over a decade. One of the main reasons we did not want to change is, frankly, change is hard. Or can be. It's easy to stick with what you are used to, and there is always the concern of placing additional stress on staff by having them learn something new. However, it has been a smooth transition and so far is going great. OneDrive, in my estimation, is far superior to SharePoint for file management. Here's why: When you store files on OneDrive, you can easily open and edit them. You can edit them in the cloud or open and work on them from your desktop software if you feel more comfortable working this way. Regardless of how you choose to do it, your work is instantly saved as you go. There is no document check-out process. Multiple users can update the same file simultaneously. It's quite remarkable how easy it is to use OneDrive and just how powerful it is. As you become more familiar with it, you'll no doubt want to set up various sites within your account to manage specific content. For example, we have a Content site, a Marketing site, and a Finance site. It's easy to assign access to employees as needed. This helps ensure that only those who should be working in a particular site have access to that site. As stated, we are still learning all of the bells and whistles, but so far it has been a fantastic transition.

Cons
So far, there is nothing to dislike about OneDrive. The interface is easy to use and follow. Compared to SharePoint for file management, it's a breeze. Simple to open a file and start working. Easy to review changes that have been made. Real-time saving means no need to worry if your browser crashes or you lose internet access.

Alicia Burns

Best Investment

Reviewed 2019-08-23

Pros
The best thing about OneDrive is the ability to save files on one computer and have access to them on another by signing into my account. I handle numerous documents and work in and out of the office. OneDrive provides me with the best way to track and maintain my files no matter where I am at.

Cons
The only downside is that OneDrive requires internet connection to automatically save files. With no internet connection I have to remember to save my work to my laptop.

Bobby Stevens

Bobby's OneDrive Review

Reviewed 2019-08-21
Review Source: Software Advice

We were worried about switching from Google to OneDrive at first, but glad we did. The whole Microsoft package turned out to be an amazing decision on switching over.

Pros
The simplicity of use. OneDrive wasn't hard to setup at all.

Cons
I can't really think of anything I don't like, except maybe how when I setup my OneDrive this last time, it has a business and personal drive. I don't use the personal drive and can't seem to get rid of it. I'm sure if I contacted customer support, they could help. But it's not that big of a deal.

Nithya Gopalakrishnan

A great shared drive which provides a shared space for document storage among teams!

Reviewed 2019-08-10
Review Source: Software Advice

We have to work as a team that’s located remotely and consists of freelancers who work for the training company. So based on each persons role, we select the level of access and which folders are permitted to be shared for collaboration. It has always been useful to find the right files at the right time and use the shared folders if one drive to collaborate more seamlessly!

Pros
I suggested Microsoft 365 to my team at Applied Business Academy which is a training provider. We have been able to use one drive extensively for sharing files securely and granting access to groups of people who should be provided the access. Specially with the GDPR regulations in Europe, we have been blessed to have purchased the licence to use this wonderful software!

Cons
I’m some of the laptops, if the setting are not right, it will not sync the files and the staff forget to turn sync on. This leads to confusion as the teams start working on the older version of the file. This has been a hassle on certain occasions. However it is not the fault of the software, but I wish it had a way to update all files automatically :)

Caitlin Rivers

OneDrive simplifies Microsoft file sharing and storage

Reviewed 2019-06-14

I must admit I was reluctant at first because I am a Type A control freak and someone else doing the driving made me nervous about the mistakes and headaches. That hasn't happened. When I say it hasn't happened, I mean it hasn't happened one time. I use Office as my everyday life and it is incredible that with the amount of data for research for journal articles, my protocols and information regarding training, all of the outside work I do with volunteer groups, etc. that things don't mix themselves up, get lost, or have files get lost. In the past I have had external hard drives have sector failures. This eliminates that and I now rely on it. I am waiting for the day where all of our computer interactions can merge formatting for one seamless interaction but for now, of all of the cloud products I use, this by far is the best.

Pros
When you are working with a Microsoft product, OneDrive takes on the process of doing the work for you once you tell it to. It will back up your information to the cloud, auto save your edits, allow you to give other people access to any particular files and then allow you to allow or deny them edit access. Much of this is capable of being done through Mark-up, etc. but with OneDrive it is occurring in real time and you do not have to send, wait for the response, edit, and then send again. You are able to create a portfolio of a folder that contains multiple files so coworkers or coauthors can locate the various areas and make edits as needed while you work on a different aspect. Plus, when the inevitable screen of death occurs, those last second back-ups that never made it to your external hard drive are saved in the cloud as OneDrive truly is backing up every single thing you do.

Cons
There is a little difficulty for some less computer oriented coworkers to understand seeing duplicate files listed- one set on OneDrive and then also on desktop. I try to explain to them to think about their computer being attached to a box outside the computer that is also storing the same info in case it gets lost. That typically helps a lot. The other thing that is challenging is when you toggle it on, you have it writing the memory of the file in real time, so if you want to play around with edits and not have them saved, you have to remember to toggle it off, or create a separate file.

Anonymous

If you want Microsoft OneNote then you MUST have OneDrive and have it installed RIGHT!

Reviewed 2019-06-09

One of the worst application experiences I have ever had the displeasure of living thru regarding getting it to "work", all-encompassing, pertaining to all I did previously say.

Pros
The best overall thing that I like most about OneDrive is that it literally has become my ONLY app that I use for cloud storage that syncs between my local machine and the cloud. I use 3 other apps, but ONLy OneDrive do I allow to sync bi-directionally with my local machine. I depend solely on OneDrive to make sure my ENTIRE LIFE (business and personal) is ALWAYS in sync---in real-time-----ALL THE TIME 24/7. The ability to use the Android Mobile App to access easily all my OneDrive Files is exceptional. I could not live without my OneDrive as it literally DRIVES my "ONE-LIFE", all-encompassing!

Cons
The absolute WORST and I really mean THE WORST thing about OneDrive is that it RUNS Microsoft OneNote! You can't have ONE without the other ONE. The TWO are BOTH actually ONE when all technicalities are taken into consideration. Additionally, in order to get BOTH of them to work properly after a "clean-install" of Windows 10 is a total nightmare (unless you have done it so many times like I have, and now I know how to "do it" without a dozen hours of MS Office 365 Tech Support Calls. They branded it correctly with "OneDrive" as it truly is your ONEDRIVE on your computer if you choose to use this cloud storage application. The fact is, OneNote is the the most often used application I have, and therefore, I had no choice but to utilize OneDrive, by default! Now that I have, I have grown to actually like it a lot, though! Lastly, I wish there was a choice to NOT sync to my local machine, but there isn't....and when configuring a system to have the OneDrive Folder NOT be in its default location is beyond a total nightmare to get done correctly!

Shane Keith

Excellent storage ,when used wisely!

Reviewed 2019-06-08

As stated though, If you do make sure all the settings are right before things get slowed down, its an amazing experience having the cloud at your finger tips on mobile, and laptop, Desktop, and both my Xbox and Xbox1 working together. As well as the ability to load my games from Xbox1 onto it, and go to a fiends house who has the system, but not the game, and be able to play it there, with MY profile in all its glory, and when i return home, all my progress returns with me for more solo gaming.

Pros
Well i love that i linked all my Microsoft stuff together, At the time i first used it i was using an Xbox 360, the Xbox1 , desktop , and laptop for school and not to mention mobile phone as well. when i would make game clips from call of duty and upload them i could move seamlessly from Console to PC for editing my clips, Then for school when i would be at lunch in between class, i could still access any video clips on the go, and upload homework assignments, to then return home and work on my desktop once again.

Cons
Not a fan of when it will automatically grab everything, and i mean EVERY random silly thing you have off your PC and max out your storage, then it was just a hassle to turn off the auto upload, and would always end up getting tired of it slowing my startup to a crawl, then the left click delay would be...Just unbearable, to finally be able to hit settings, sometimes overshooting it and closing it again... having to right click once again, carefully work my way there again, and click it, for a slow load to finally FINALLY unchecked that box, and apply my settings. And thank goodness every windows installation i do i always forget to turn it off and then do the song and dance once again .

Edward Moss

Cloud computing made easy

Reviewed 2019-05-27

So easy to use and great for not only being able to access your working files from anywhere, but is also acts as a backup, something we humans are notoriously lax at. And in the couple of years of use, I've never witnessed lack of access or downtime. A good, reliable product.

Pros
Say what you like about Microsoft, but their OneDrive offer IS good! A trusted name, a reliable product you can access anywhere (obviously needing an internet connection), and safety in the knowledge that unlike SOME other cloud storage providers, your photographs (in particular) are not being accessed, permission granted or not! The free offer, with 5 gigabytes, is certainly very suitable for those wanting a cloud storage solution for documents or spreadsheets to eliminate using memory sticks, especially if using Office 365 products which all storage options include. However, where OneDrive really ups the game is for their Premium OneDrive offer. This provides 1TB for each of people, including Office 365 and a host of security features and productivity tools. And as I mentioned, Microsoft do not ask to access your photographs. In use, it is naturally very easy. There is nothing that should trip anyone up, unless you close your browser down while uploading or downloading! And secure sharing options are there, whether you want to allow users a link, access via email, editor status or not. And it makes no difference whether access is via Windows, iOS or Android. And having your working documents not only accessible from anywhere but also backed up, is a boon. And importantly, it doesn't cost a fortune.

Cons
I think the only con is the rather obvious one, and that applies to ANY cloud host. If you haven't an internet connection, you can't get to your storage! There really is nothing to dislike about it.

Anonymous

Storing Files in the Cloud has Never Been Easier!

Reviewed 2019-05-07

OneDrive has allowed us as a company to move away from traditional file shares stored on-premises to a hybrid cloud-based file storage setup, with personal user storage stored in OneDrive and company files on-premises. This way users are always able to access their files even when not connected to the company network. We have been able to decommission several file servers as a result of moving to OneDrive, and hope to eventually store all company files in OneDrive/SharePoint in the future.

Pros
The OneDrive client itself is very responsive, detecting and syncing any modifications to files to the cloud almost instantaneously. A sizeable 1 terabyte of storage space is provided with an E1 licence, which is more than enough to store a user's personal files in most cases. GPOs can be used in an enterprise setting to control aspects of the OneDrive client, including default OneDrive folder locations, enabling Files on Demand to save disk space, and sync bandwidth limits. OneDrive integrates very well with the rest of the Microsoft product eco-system, becoming the default save location for Word, PowerPoint, and Excel files once set up. A recent update has added the ability to automatically sync your Documents, Pictures, and Desktop folders to OneDrive without needing to manually configure additional options (this is an incredibly useful feature for an enterprise setting). Microsoft's support is quick to respond to support tickets and is very helpful. The application also auto-updates on startup, which means there is less administration needed to maintain current releases on all devices. The OneDrive mobile app is available for mobile working.

Cons
Some users have trouble with the concept of OneDrive and cloud storage, so a good amount of training should be provided when rolling out the application. The application itself installs in the user's 'AppData Roaming' folder rather than the 'Program Files' folder which means if multiple users are logged into the computer there will be multiple OneDrive installations, one for each user (however this is rectified in the newest insider releases of OneDrive where the application installs to the 'Program Files' folder, but this will take time to reach general release). If the application has issues syncing a file, it is not immediately apparent to the user as the only notification is a small red error icon shown over the OneDrive taskbar icon.

Max Printz

You probably already are paying for Office 365, so might as well take advantage of OneDrive

Reviewed 2019-05-07

Our business, like most businesses I image, relay on MS Office products for day to day work. This OneDrive product comes with those products that are already being used in Office365. There really is no downside to not using this product if you already have Office365. It is easy to use like Dropbox and easy to share files with others in your organization.

Pros
This product comes free with a large 1TB of storage with Office 365 that every business uses anyways. Even if you have GSuite, chances are that you are also paying for MS Office. GSuite's Google Drive has a unique and frustrating (for new users or long time Windows users) method for syncing files. OneDrive's storage method is more inline with the user friendly DropBox. You can also edit Office files and OneNote inside OneDrive.

Cons
The client for Mac needs a special type of drive format. You need to have the drive formatted in a case sensitive format for the client to work. This can sometimes require IT to setup a separate partition on user's mac just for OneDrive to sync.

Anonymous

OneDrive is a good storage solution, but not the best.

Reviewed 2019-03-09

Good cloud storage for Windows and Office users. Not a smooth experience for Mac users.

Pros
It's probably the best cloud storage for Windows users, because of its integration with the operating system and the Office 365 suite. For a Mac user the road is not that smooth. See the cons mentioned below. Most of the time it works well, with occasional mess-ups. With a paid account you get 1 TB of storage which is more than enough for the average user. You can access your files from anywhere, be it a laptop, a desktop machine, a tablet or your phone (even for iOS users) which makes it very versatile. It's also very good for backups in case of hard drive failure because your files are always in the cloud and you have local copy on your device in a folder named "OneDrive".

Cons
As a Mac only user, I've had some issues with using OneDrive that made it difficult to work with, without putting an effort: 1. Being a Microsoft product, it's made for Windows files and file systems rather than a more universal approach like Dropbox has. The first time I've added files to OneDrive, I had 150+ errors that needed to be fixed. They were all file naming errors that OneDrive wouldn't support (because of the different character support between Windows files and Mac files). 2. After having 150+ errors, I tried to fix each one manually by going into Finder and renaming the files. The only problem with this is that I could only see a limited number of individual issues from the total number. The OneDrive widget doesn't allow you to see all errors, just the last 20 or so. While I was fixing some of them, the error dialog wouldn't refresh immediately, making it hard to confirm that I was doing the right thing. Eventually I deleted everything and started moving small chunks of files to have less errors to handle at one time. This worked out well in the end and everything is good now. 3. There is also a file limit of 10GB which, depending on your work might be an issue.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

dishant sharma

A lifesaver when wiping your PC

Reviewed 2019-03-07

OneDrive is an excellent tool for personal as well as business needs. I have been able to store my important files and folders successfully on a cloud platform without worrying about their security and of getting them deleted. I can easily backup my data in case of any hardware or any mishap. I want to recommend this product to any business to arrange their files and folders effectively.

Pros
OneDrive is a great cloud storage solution from Microsoft, the creator of the famous operating system. In the OneDrive itself, Microsoft has been successful enough to maintain the trust of the people on its products. I find it very helpful when I have to wipe out my PC. I stored all my important office files and documents on the OneDrive and successfully wiped it out without any headache. OneDrive comes from the Microsoft house and provides complete security to your files. I loved the feature of Document Sharing in the OneDrive. It provides you the ability to share the documents with your clients quickly. OneDrive also has a fantastic feature which lets its users by synchronizing the files from different machines. The calendar in it helps in managing different schedules like meetings, etc. very efficiently. The documentation support and customer support provided by the Microsoft team is undoubtedly incredible.

Cons
Some incidents evolved when I was syncing the files from the OneDrive, and my local machine gets failed, and those were quite difficult and time-consuming to troubleshoot. When downloading files and folders, it's competitors allow to download it quickly and automatically converts it into a zip file. But, I have not found any similar functionality in the OneDrive. There were issues related to the naming convention when backing up the files. These were difficult to detect and fix. It does not support the complete backup of your system. Although you can take a backup of multiple files, to make a full backup, you have to use third-party software, and then you can copy it in the OneDrive.

Ruston Raybon

A Great Cloud Storage Solution

Reviewed 2019-02-27

I'm not in a good position to compare to Google Cloud. I just happened to have jumped in the One Drive boat first. I'm certainly not against trying out their solution, I just already have something that works well enough.

Pros
Microsoft put a lot of effort into making One Drive user friendly and seamless across multiple computers and it shows. I'm to the point now where all of my files live in one drive. When I have to wipe my laptop or move to a new computer I have to do two things 1) install chrome and import my bookmarks/passwords and 2) install one drive and sync my files. I'm now 80% functional in less than 10 minutes. I'm not sure what setting I ticked but when I spun up my most recent laptop last month my desktop, my documents, downloads, etc all mapped themselves to my one drive auto-magically I also have a folder with all of my business documents in it. I was easily able to share a link with my business partner and give him full access to all of the business files so that we can both work off the same file set. Very convenient especially for something like a Quick Books Desktop save file. Also 1 TB of data is a ton. If your a normal person that's more than you'll ever need. at least for the next 20 years or so. A less than normal person would be someone with a digital movie collection of 1000+ movies. To help put this in perspective 1TB =1000GB and 1GB = 1000MB 10 average Word Docs would equal about 1 MB. a full length movie at normal quality would be 100-300MB. So again, unless you want to store 1000s of movies 1 TB will be more than enough.

Cons
It messes up occasionally. Over the past few years and a half-dozen or so computers I've had One Drive go a bit crazy on me. All of a sudden it will stop syncing properly or at all. Twice I've spent considerable amounts of time working through various solutions and with tech support to no avail. Basically a fresh wipe of the computer was the best route. (which is a terrible solution). I've also found that it's ... either screwy or not at all intuitive (or a bit of both) with One Note save files. All of my One note notebooks are saved in One drive but trying to make a redundant copy of one of them or restoring a backup is a huge hassle. All in all it's a worthwhile program.

Jhonnathan Magallanes Barrios

Keep your lost files safe with OneDrive!

Reviewed 2018-12-21

I sincerely owe all my files from many years ago to OneDrive. I work in the area of digital creation and it is very useful to have all our important documents such as fonts and backup images and portfolios within reach. The trade sometimes causes us to be exposed to viruses, but OneDrive is a very useful and versatile tool to protect us and optimize our work at the same time.

Pros
OneDrive offers an easy and convenient way to keep your files safe. It's important to know its functionality. The program creates a folder on your computer and everything inside this folder and will copy to your cloud, staying safe from any system failure. In the past, I had several computers that I lost due to hardware failure, but thanks to the fact that I always kept my folder updated and with the important files included in it I was able to quickly recover everything by simply installing OneDrive again and waiting for a quick update. Another thing that I found very useful is that you can access your folder from anywhere. Being on the road and with an internet connection you can connect and download and upload files to your secure folder, this is very useful in some cases! Because it doesn't require your computer to be turned on.

Cons
As I work with many files, and in spite of being organized, due to human error some documents can be left out of OneDrive, perhaps in everyday folders. This causes any file not included in the folder created by OneDrive to be forgotten if a system crash or virus attack occurs. Files in the cloud are sectioned to prevent hidden viruses from spreading and damaging others, but if one file is attacked inside the OneDrive folder it will send this to the cloud which means we will lose the file. So containing documents, files or anything inside this folder does not guarantee its security. It only guarantees that we will be able to recover them anytime, anywhere.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Anonymous

The most straight-forward cloud storage solution for regular users (even on Mac)

Reviewed 2018-11-02

Pros
- For Microsoft Office users, the collaboration features make it a no-brainer pick to use. - It is the best cloud storage value for Office 365 subscribers, with 1TB space included. - Additional features are consistently added, and stability is always improving. - Straightforward backup settings (unlike competitive cloud options) so you know which files/folders are being backed up and what happens when files/folders are removed locally so you aren't constantly worrying if you're deleting all copies. - iPhone iOS app is very well integrated and full featured and works consistently. Features are consistently added to take advantage of new iPhone capabilities. - iPhone camera roll backup has been superior to the built-in iCloud Photos since you are able to delete photos from your phone after they are backed up without the backup also being deleted. - OneDrive file management from website is relatively fast and easy to use for viewing your entire library of files if you don't store them all on your local device too.

Cons
- On the Mac OneDrive app, you may get frequent backup errors due to disallowed characters or spaces in file names. Tracking them down and fixing can be frustrating and time consuming. - Confusing differences/similarities when using OneDrive and OneDrive for Business accounts on the same device. They do not function the same in how they treat and backup files. - Adding a user to shared folders can be a little confusing on the iOS app as it seems to prefer creating a public link rather than just authorizing a login. - The iPhone app and Mac OS app only support a single personal OneDrive account being used (an additional OneDrive Business account can be added, however)

MS OneDrive

Reviewed 2018-10-27

OneDrive allows substantive, real-time collaboration on work using the near universal MS office suite. It's allowed me to create both quick and effective tools for myself in Excel that I can even use on my Android phone, and allowed me to manage long-term research content.

Pros
The automatic integration with Windows 10 and it's bundling with MS Office subscriptions makes this a fantastic service. Additionally, it's Android App allows for easy cross-platform use. As a Windows user, OneDrive makes collaboration incredibly easy from the generation of content on a local PC to the sharing work/files/information with others.

Cons
The automatic settings of OneDrive as a built in Windows feature might be annoying for people not used to saving via the cloud. In Windows 10 it is set as the default save-to location and requires a bit of settings work to change. Additionally, I've noticed some minor issues with the responsiveness concerning sorting or renaming files within OneDrive via Windows File Explorer. File previews in OneDrive often don't display the thumbnail preview image and the file (if an image or PDF) does not display in the preview pane of File Explorer. Additionally, when renaming files, OneDrive tends to have strange timing to it's highlighting, deleting and saving of file name often times saving a rename with only one letter typed in or otherwise making renaming files from within OneDrive difficult/annoying. You can get around this by using the OneDrive App in Windows, but if you don't have administrative rights/installation abilities then you'll have to use File Explorer.