Rocket.Chat

The Leading Enterprise Communication Hub

Rocket.Chat Reviews

Pros

So we're very happy that we can collaborate directly with Rocket. Chat developers and hopefully having good relationship in the long term.

Hendy I.

It has some great features and it's great that you have so much control over the software as administrator.

It's really good to use and good to create a public and private channel to do conversation in group. I also love the future of rocket chat API, so you can do a message programmatically.

Cons

And about usability: first of all, it does lack some nice-to-haves here and there. It cannot be integrated with SharePoint, so there are no status updates when going in a meeting.

Gabriel C.

It is difficult to locate old texts. There is no sending of audios.

Bob A.

Lots of features as open-source & enterprise group chat software

Rocket.Chat has been very useful and relatively low-maintenance. Especially since we deployed it in MongoDB Atlas (another commercial product as DBaaS), so our MongoDB cluster is also low-maintenance. There are many features that can be enabled and configured, it's quite overwhelming at first. (to be honest, it still is now) But it makes me feel good too because if there's a use case, I feel that maybe 60-70% of the time, Rocket.Chat already provides that as an option.

Pros

The core software is open-source, so the cost is low to get started. You have the option, but not forced to, to purchase business/enterprise support and upgrade for additional features, and Rocket.Chat company also provides hosting services. In case you want to modify the code (likely you won't need it), but you can, so it's a big plus for feeling in control. Rocket.Chat supports OpenID Connect for...

Cons

I still see stability issues, sometimes chats not refreshing, and random minor issues. It's quite hard to debug/diagnose the issue, and on GitHub some issues have been waiting for weeks or months. I understand this is complex code without various platforms connected together, and to be fair Rocket.Chat tried to provide several debugging options inside it, so they do put effort in this. Configuring to use own Firebase Cloud Messaging (FCM) push notification is tricky, and requires deploying customized Android and iOS app... but this is to be expected and I'm not sure how it can be made easier. It still feels that they're pushing for new features more than to fix bugs. Which can be both a good thing or bad thing, depending on which side you're getting.

Hello Hendy, we're incredibly happy to see you've been having a positive experience with our product! Your feedback is very important for us - it's the only way we can improve our product. Thank you so much for your review :)

My 6 months with Rocket Chat

Very satisfied . I have used Slack, Teamwork Chat before, but Rocket Chat is very economical to me ( free- minus the VPS cost). ANd it has everything we need.

Pros

1. Installation is a breeze. I was able to install Rocket Chat, get SSL configured, and had a running server set up in an hour without having to wave through endless linux commands. 2. Inbuilt support, for Video call using Jitsi, and inbuilt notifications. 3. Slack like user interface , which my team can instantly connect to.

Cons

1. The Quote a message, can be improved, it is visually not very clear. 2. The Video call doesn't ring inside the application, only gives a button to join which makes people skip it some times. 3. On Windows, if the app is running in background, you need to go to the notification panel to bring it to front, if you start from the Start Menu, it doesn't come to front. Overall, the shortcomings are very less and trivial. The software is very stable and a breeze to use.

Hi Aditya, our team is constantly improving the platform to offer our users an amazing team chat platform for internal and external communication. We would love to understand better the problems you are facing, would you be able to detail them and send us on support@rocket.chat? thanks for your feedback!

Not a bad product

I’m not disappointed. I use this daily and have no Issues

Pros

The features of the app is the fact that you can voice note. This made communication more effective and faster

Cons

I wish you had the option to video call. That’s the only thing lacking

Good & free corporate chat alternative

Rocket.Chat is an overall-nice & free alternative to other enterprise messaging tools. A few words about setting it up: - The server runs on-premises, so all chat data currently resides in our own infrastructure - this was also one of the reasons we chose this. - Secondly it supports LDAP, so this played well with our Active Directory accounts. - Voice calling requires additional setup, which we...

Pros

- Supports LDAP authentication - On-premises server - Platform availability (both web, mobile and Desktop) - Good & clean usability

Cons

- Some things are still not working in the mobile native app (e.g.: voting on polls) - No support for threaded chat - No straightforward integration with SharePoint - Electron client app only, so notifications are a bit lacking

Hi Gabriel, Thanks for the feedback on your experience with our platform. We sincerely appreciate your insight because it helps us build a better customer experience!

Excellent Open Source Chat Solution with Many Integrations

Overall, Rocket.Chat provides all of the chat solutions I am looking for. Public channels, private channels, private messaging, Webhooks and integrations, including SMS and a website chat widget. Setup is incredibly easy using Docker or Ubuntu Snap.

Pros

It's open source, easy to deploy and customize. It allows for easy integrations using Webhooks, with Twilio's API, and has a live chat widget for your website.

Cons

There are still a couple of quirks in the iOS app, but overall it runs smoothly. Accessing and registering for the Rocket.Chat cloud marketplace is not as intuitive as it could be. The marketplace also requires a paid plan.

Dear Nick, Thanks for the feedback on your experience with our platform. We sincerely appreciate your insight because it helps us build a better customer experience!

Blast off with Rocket.Chat

Pros

+ Cloud-hosted option + Sleek UI + extensive access controls/user permissions + Auditing panel + REST API + can be accessed on a web browser/desktop client

Cons

- NO native Office365/Azure AD SSO - Can be pricey compared to Microsoft Teams in 2020

Hello Ernie, we're glad that you chose Rocket.Chat and that you've been having an overall positive experience with us so far. In order to receive the latest updates, feel free to subscribe to our monthly newsletter: https://bit.ly/3jQ6jo3 Once more, thanks for your helpful feedback, it will help us to continually improve our platform. Sincerely, Rocket.Chat Team

We switched back to Slack

From a hosting perspective it has been running good, but our users do not like the experience comparing it to Slack.

Pros

Rocket.chat is a great alternative to Slack with the possibility to run it without license costs on-premise. Documentation is good and a lot of Slack integrations also works with rocket.chat.

Cons

Push notifications has been bugging and recently limits has been introduced for the push gateway. Our users does not like it because it is not Slack.

Dear Rocketeer, we're very sorry to see you go. You can check if the push notification limit applies to you here: https://forums.rocket.chat/t/push-notification-gateway-pricing/3044. We're glad you found us when looking for ways to be the owner of your data. Thank you for your feedback - we're always improving our UX and design to make Rocket.Chat as user-friendly as possible. Hope to see you again in our rocket anytime soon!

An open source scalable chat platform

Pros

Rocket Chat is a completely open source and scalable platform. I love all the options that are offered from: message history, public & private channels, video, admin options, and more. The options are unlimited and I don't think I would ever use them all; but I'm glad they are there.

Cons

Support & Sales are diffcult to contact. I like talking to an actually person over the phone when making larger scale changes to my organization.

Hi Rocketeer, Thanks for the feedback on your experience with our platform. We sincerely appreciate your insight because it helps us build a better customer experience!

Great product, user friendly, feature rich, ldap connectivity and doesn't require lots of ram, hd.

I like it, will need to see how my users experiences are. This was easy to deploy but customizing it was a learning curve but with a little research, figured out how to do it. Half my org uses MS TEAMS and comparting it to Rocket.Chat has me pretty amazed how feature rich rocket chat really is. Make sure if you want video chat capability to enable JITSI in the server admin console. One but I found was embedded video chat window doesn't display users webcam but if I detach that, webcam is displayed.

Pros

Relatively easy to install considering its a snap included in the Ubuntu 20 server bundle. Free to install, easy to use. Great for document collaboration, video calling and basic chat and integrates well with Microsoft AD.

Cons

Found several bugs in newest version. The software overall is stable but I personally have seen half a dozen bugs while testing this including LDAP integration and listing users names; some of which are included but not displayed in the client. I wish this had a capability to see all activated users and the presence status of each user in the admin console.

Hi Charles, Thank you very much for your review and feedback. I have to add that we came a long way in terms of user experience and bug fixing in the last updates we released. We hope that you and your end users are still enjoying Rocket.Chat. If you would like more details, please feel free to visit our Docs (docs.rocket.chat) or reach out our Sales Team directly at sales@rocket.chat. Cheers!

Great free tool for communication

Easy to set up, easy to configure and easy to use.

Pros

I like that RocketChat can be deployed as self-hosted, this makes our work communication safe and highly-secure. All the necessary features are available: audio and video conferencing, screen sharing, chatting, file sharing, APIs etc.

Cons

RocketChat video conferencing was under development, so for these purposes we integrated Jitsi Meet into this software.

Hello Rocketeer, thank you so much for your valuable feedback. We're always looking for ways to improve our product, and messages like yours help us do it. We're glad to have you with us and that you're having a positive experience with Rocket.Chat.

An easy to deploy organisational chat solution

When we were forced into lockdown in 2020 and everyone went to work from home, I immediately needed a group chat solution. I evaluated many options, but Rocket.Chat was by far the quickest one to implement. Everyone worked out how to use it very quickly. We setup multiple channels for different business sections and major projects. Everything is very logical for posting of pictures, emoji's and everything required for a business chat solution. It just worked and everyone was very happy with the results.

Pros

I found Rocket.Chat very easy to install and deploy into my organisation. I simply built a Ubuntu server and followed the easy instructions to install the required packages. I then setup a reverse proxy using NginX so I could allow access for external staff and so that the mobile app was functional.

Cons

The only challenge I encountered was with the mobile app notifications. Because the push notification contains the internal port number used by Rocket.Chat, i have to manually launch the app to read the new messages. This is just a configuration issue.

Hello David, thank you for your review - we appreciate it. We're glad you're having a positive experience with Rocket.Chat! Feel free to reach out to us anytime :)

Love for in company communication

To summarize, makes communicating within company very easy. Love ability to create groups, send a variety of message formats, and chat history logging.

Pros

Number one thing -> love the fact that it keeps all logs of chats saved. Very easy to message code snippets or images or any sort of file to coworkers.

Cons

Haven't found anything I disliked about rocketchat yet. It is quite a big upgrade over our last messaging tool (skype).

Dear Faraan, Thanks for the feedback on your experience with our platform. We sincerely appreciate your insight because it helps us build a better customer experience!

A great, free Slack replacement

Cross-country communications have been simplified and we've been able to move from Slack to Rocket.chat with very little learning curve for our users. While gaining an unlimited amount of messages being saved, nearly unlimited storage space, and still keeping a familiar appearance, we've been able to implement SSO and created a number of custom data integrations with our ticketing system.

Pros

OpenSource, free, and self hosted, gives us the freedom to manage and maintain a nationwide communications platform while keeping the costs very low.

Cons

The biggest issue we have with Rocket.chat is somewhat inconsistent notifications being received to some mobile phones.

Hi Gavin, Your helpful comments are much appreciated,and your feedback will help us to continually improve our platform. Thank you very much!

Rocket.Chat Open Source Messaging Platform

We're using it just within the Systems department, and I like that it's installed locally and is completely controlled by us. We use it daily for quick messages between systems techs that don't need to be on our cloud messaging platform.

Pros

I love the simplicity and functionality of Rocket.Chat, especially for an open source app. Integration with Active Directory was quick and easy, and the mobile, desktop, and Web apps work great!

Cons

My one niggle with RC is with the way notifications work when you're logged in on multiple devices and apps. When I read a message on my desktop app, it's not marked as read on my mobile apps. I've searched high and low in the admin settings and can't find anything that I can turn on to fix that.

Hello Charlie, thank you so much for your feedback. We're glad that you're enjoying Rocket.Chat and your usage insights are very important for the continuous improvement of our platform. If you're still facing any issues regarding push notifications, please reach out at support@rocket.chat. We're happy to have you onboard! Rocket.Chat Team

Great internal team chat and slack alternative for european companies

Overall positive. I would recommend it to any company or team who wants to keep control over their own data and need a reliable chat messenger.

Pros

It's easy to use, didn't cost anything (if self-hosted) and helps us meet EU-GDPR requirements. Further it provides a nice app and a community, that constantly improves the chat and features.

Cons

Overall look could be nicer, when compared to Slack or similiar. So when changing from another system, it may not look as nice as you are used too, but the differences are really mininal, so that's not crucial. A few times I had the feeling that it has issues to reliably mark already read messages.

Dear Rocketeer, thank you for your message. Your feedback is very important so we can continuously improve our product. Thank you for choosing Rocket.Chat!

Rocket Chat Messanger in Customer Service.

Effectieve business communication among clients/internal and customers. happy to use i.

Pros

easy to use, configure, can be installed on many forum like ubuntu,ocean,docker etc. Android/IOS application supported. text formatting is value aded feature. file can be sent or recieved. hence at server level restriction can be made to avoid data sharing. channel/grouping can be made. 2 step security is good option.

Cons

User cant made group, does not work with windows server active user directory, if you paste large data, it will convert it to text file, editor do not support for medium large data.

Hello Mudssar, we're glad your happy with the overall performance of our product. :) About the problems you're facing, you can always contact support@rocket.chat and we'll be happy to help you! Kind regards, Rocket.Chat Team

As close as you can get to Slack without being Slack

Overall I have been using Rocket Chat for over a year now and it's been a great tool for collaboration and communication internally.

Pros

Rocket Chat is, in my opinion, the best alternative to Slack that is available today. The best part about Rocket Chat is that you can install it on your own local servers so you're no reliant on someone else storing your data on their servers on the Internet. This can be particularly valuable for those who may distrust the Internet a good deal. Rocket Chat offers a wide variety of features that make it, again in my opinion, the best contender to face off against the Slack platform.

Cons

Rocket Chat can sometimes be tricky or actually impossible to update and the features and settings can sometimes be a little difficult to understand what exactly they do.

Hello Jesse, we're happy to read that you've been having such a positive experience with Rocket.Chat. Whatever problems you face, you can always take it to our community on Github or to our support team on support@rocket.chat :) Thank you and keep rock(et)ing! Rocket.Chat Team

Remarkably Good!

Rocket Chat allows our widely distributed development and management teams to work almost as if we were in the same location. The ability to add third-parties to meetings ad-hoc gives us a completely integrated solution. We are very satisfied!

Pros

The feature set is very strong. It allows our distributed teams to work much more tightly together. For our developers, the voice and screen-sharing allow widely separated coders to pair-program as if they were in the same room. The messaging is robust, and the voice quality is good. Overall, Rocket Chat is extremely solid, plenty strong enough to be used in a mission-critical capacity.

Cons

Most complaints center around the various quirks of the Jitsi subsystem, and related usability issues. For example, the only calling choice offered is "Video Chat". All we want is a voice call. Most of our machines intentionally do not have webcams, yet we have no choice but to select "Video Chat" and then dismiss the dialogs warning us that no camera was found. Every time, with every call. It gets tedious. This is a great example of a very small thing gradually becoming a significant usability issue. Also, for those of us who do have cameras, the default initial setting for a call should be camera OFF for heavens sake. There have already been a couple of embarrassing accidents.

Hi Bob, Thanks for the feedback on your experience with our platform. We sincerely appreciate your insight because it helps us build a better customer experience!

Better to keep history

Its the best choice.

Pros

It is open source, easy to implement, has several applications in its marketplace.

Cons

I have no relevant criticism since the whole tool meets the company's demand.

Hello Rocketeer, thank you for choosing us! We appreciate your feedback. Feel free to reach us anytime :) Sincerely, Rocket.Chat Team

Rocket.Chat is an open-source discord or slack. A chat program you can host on your own server.

I used this product as a secure chat interface to get away from facebook.

Pros

Well, amazingly it's free for personal and commercial use. On top of that it works very well, and you can even deploy in a docker, which means you can get it up fast. It has tons of functions that you can integrate to compete with the discord and slack. Tons. Also, you can integrate bots, which seems like the latest thing.

Cons

I can't really think of any Cons, except maybe not great for the technologically challenged. This software is robust, so you can get lost in settings pages if you don't know where to go. Still, I think anyone who can follow directions can get this working.

Dear Adam, Thanks for the feedback on your experience with our platform. We sincerely appreciate your insight because it helps us build a better customer experience!

Review on Rocket Chat.

As working in an organization, we generally communicate with our colleagues in the form of some short text messages in case of any requirements. Rocket chat is very fast and it supports file sharing. When I send some data which is confidential, I can send it through rocket chat cause it provides message-level security along with private chat option. I can create separate group channels for group conversations and can communicate with clients in much faster and in an easy way. We can have video calls with the clients. My overall experience of using this software is highly satisfiable.

Pros

1) It is a free and open source chat application. 2) Privacy chat feature is available and it is more secure. 3) The incoming message is translated to English if another user is communicating in some other language. 4) We can integrate our rocket chat with chatbots. 5) Can install plugins like Drupal for theme customization. 6) Supports different types of authentications like facebook, LinkedIn 7) Rocket chat community support is very good. 8) We can subscribe to different global channels for gaining knowledge.

Cons

I did not find any flaws with this software.

Thanks for your feedback!

Great Slack Alternative

Great for business-related chats to keep your teams and groups organized and separated.

Pros

I learned about this software when my previous employer asked us to transition to this software from Slack. And I liked it so much better! The user interface feels like Slack's and is intuitive as well. And best of all? All previous chat history is there for you to see...not blocked at all! It is also great for keeping your personal and business-related chats separate. No more emailing back and forth!

Cons

No other cons to mention here. If I had to pick Slack or this software, I would go with Rocket.chat.

Hi Sheila, Your helpful comment are much appreciated and your feedback will help us to continually improve our platform. Thank you very much!

Rocket.Chat the easy way of communicating

a company may use rocket chart as its own patform or channel of communication and collaboration and it will be useful since its fast and friendly to use and work with

Pros

rocket chat allows multiple users to join and collaborate in channels that allows for free flow of communication on a regular basis, it is a very interactive tool for project managers to communicate to large number of people and to allow them to share information freely. one can also use rocket chat to send direct messages to users who have access to the rocket chat platformone can download rocket chat on the mobile platform both Android and iOS and on desktop both for Windows, macOS and Linux

Cons

sometimes if the app fails you have to use the browser to log in

Dear Joram, Thanks for the feedback on your experience with our platform. We sincerely appreciate your insight because it helps us build a better customer experience!

One of the best free chats

It works nicely (desktop and mobile), very intuitive.

Pros

We use rocket chat in our company. It was the most convenient switch after (sad) years using Skype. Rocket is a rich tool for collaboration: group chats, file sharing, privileges, chat customization, etc. All at a cost of zero! It's open source meaning there is a lot of eyes at this product code and quality. Updates are available often too.

Cons

It is not possible to quote a message originated in a different chat room, so if you have an important message to share for others, most likely you end up copying it and then pasting.

Dear Jose, Your helpful comment are much appreciated and your feedback will help us to continually improve our platform. Thank you very much! About quoting from different channels, if you use the "Permalink" option on the message pop up menu, a link will be copied to your clipboard, if you paste that link in another channel, a message preview will appear (similar to the reply one). This enables you to quote other messages in different channels

User Friendly

I have been using Rocket.Chat web application since 11 months and still going god with it. Best responsive design and live push notifications and will intimate us through Mail if we needed. Can also display overall information about our colleagues in their profile section and can also avail 2-factor authentication if needed. Also have chat bot integration and third party integration

Pros

Best User Interface Easy Installation and Easy to use Chat Bot Support Third Party Integration Public/Privates Rooms Can create ultimate number of groups Can also Display overall profile information Web Push/ Push Notifications (Automatic) Light Speed and fast responsive messenger Themes available

Cons

Can add more themes and GIF images to it It'll be good if you share your recent updates on it like about your software updates or about your new versions

Dear Giridhar, Thanks for the feedback on your experience with our platform. We sincerely appreciate your insight because it helps us build a better customer experience!