Slack Reviews

Slack

A single place for team communication and workflows

4.64/5 (18,395 reviews)

Pros
  • The tool is super easy to use, it opens up the lines of communications across teams and the org, and you can have so much fun while doing. It's great for boosting team moral and spirit.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
  • Love it, is super easy to use, they always bringing updates, I will definitely recommend it.Gabriela A.Read the full review
  • I love that Slack is continuously updating and rolling out new features and functionality. The recent integration with Outlook, so it can update your status based on meeting invites is amazing.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
Cons
  • As of today, the only downside that I've been experiencing is missing notifications. Even though I've updated the notification settings I've found that I missed some of the messages.Wilmary T.Read the full review
  • It feels disorganized, repetitive, and obsolete. I do not think that this is going to be something we use in the longterm.Amanda A.Read the full review
  • Slack is a tool, and if a company fails to identify the ground rules, it can be useless. The organizations that dislike using slack often have not defined rules around using it.Rocky K.Read the full review
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Eileen Moran Cosenza

Slack is our go-to quick communication tool for our remote team

Reviewed 2019-08-28

Before using Slack, we had to wait for people to answer emails or use text messages or chat apps. None of it was organized into a company-wide system where you can have multiple conversations with different people. Slack is the perfect solution for quick communication that doesn't need to be saved forever.

Pros
Slack is very simple to set up and use and allows us to quickly message our team members who all work remotely. It's a great tool for sharing links, getting answers to simple questions, and also sharing fun things in the Random and General Channels. We've got a few different Channels we use with our 21 users who are a combination of employees and contractors. We also use Google Drive, so that is integrated into Slack.

Cons
We've got the free plan, so we have messages that are now archived that we can't access. Considering it's free, it's not much of a con.

Jeff McKinney

Great product that has become more important than ever

Reviewed 2020-04-23

Prior to implementing Slack we tended to have a mix of emails, chats, and some intranet announcement board setups. Now, we put all of that in Slack which makes it much easier to keep up with what is going on as well as to search for anything that you need. It has been a huge plus for us in all ways and we have a lot of other integration options we are looking at implementing.

Pros
Communication with my entire team is easily available within Slack as well as subsets of my team. Slack has played a key role for several years but that role has become critical as we have shifted operations entirely online. We have channels for different topics and the ability to easily customize alert settings for channels has been a huge plus. The ability to integrate with outside systems has allowed us to automate many tasks such as letting the service desk know when issues occur.

Cons
Traffic can get busy so I need to be particular about how my notifications are set up. I then check in periodically on the channels that I don't receive notifications for to keep up with what is going on.

Slack : A very quick review

Reviewed 2019-05-15

Slack improves correspondence among colleagues. In spite of the fact that it doesnot supplant the need of email yet yes it clearly reduces unnecessary inside messages Slack stays a standout amongst the best group informing applications since it offers more than some other application in this classification. For a variety of devices and platforms, Slack is available: mobile Mac, Windows, Linux, Web, Android, iOS, and Windows. It is a cloud-based tool in real time, so you need an Internet connection to use it regardless of which app you have.

Pros
What I truly like is to discover individuals and ping them and begin a transformation. Most significant, you can share records, photographs, URL, gifs (Very significant), in a solitary spot. Making joint effort simple and something to appreciate. at the point when significant data is imparted to other application it gets lost and there is no record of it. With the slack channel, the data is put away and can be utilized as references Slack makes it workable for its clients to have numerous alternatives of getting informed. The best component, as I would see it, is the place somebody can "@" you in a message or a post.

Cons
Below are some points which I least like in Slack: Video calls are just bolstered in the work area applications and Slack for web in the Chrome program. In the event that you join a call from a cell phone, you get sound as it were. So also, screen sharing just works from the work area applications, what's more, sharing control of screen sharing just works in the Mac and Window work area applications (not Linux). From the web application in Chrome, you can watch on the off chance that another person utilizes screen sharing, yet you can't start it. There is also no option for downloading conversations to create a hard copy record (for minutes of meeting, etc.). No File Preview: If you could preview a document without downloading it first, it would be nice. But Slack does'nt have this feature.

Aaron Pinsker

Great for communicating with coworkers and friends!

Reviewed 2020-02-21

I actually do not use Slack much in a business environment, but in a personal setting for a book club. We transitioned to primarily using Facebook for communication to Slack, as not all members of the book club are on Facebook. Slack has made communication a lot easier and fully centralized.

Pros
Slack is really easy to setup and provides a great solution for secure communication b/w coworkers and even friends. The interface, while slightly confusing at first, is easy to learn. In addition, it is easy to create different channels - as to have multiple conversations on multiple topics without those conversations overlapping. There are both mobile and desktop clients, and they are cross platform. There is even a web interface so you don't have to install a local client. Finally, you can't argue with the price as it starts with free version that is suitable for many use-cases.

Cons
Slack utilizes various shortcuts and tags to implement features (such as adding a poll to a conversation), but these tags are not obvious and usually need to be looked up.

Lauren Hazen

Never Slacks

Reviewed 2020-04-27

I was first introduced to the product when I was working at a photographic agency. It's a very fast-paced environment that requires incredibly efficient communication and swift project management. I was doing my research and experimented with Slack for a brief time. I felt inspired by the benefits and presented it to the workplace. They immediately downloaded the solution and I set up the software for them from my side. Within minutes, we had a newly impressive communication tool that eased our stresses at a colossal level. Very great build and I look forward to its growth.

Pros
I love this application for a majority of reasons. Slack is very minimalistic but also beautifully done. It presents your desired information in a very organized manner and makes it easy for the receiver to understand. It balances colors well and provides brief templates for you to use. Another aspect I like about Slack is the multiple formats of data you can send into a single chatroom space. It's extremely convenient and essential for your company's needs.

Cons
I don't have any negative thoughts for Slack because it fulfills our company's needs to a great extent.

Todor Tsekov

Almost perfect

Reviewed 2020-02-25

Marvelous. Easy to use and navigate. Best chat since we switched from Google Hangouts. Does sometime do funny things with the notifications from missed messages, but it is not what I would deem as unpleasant or unsatisfactory.

Pros
It is easy to navigate and customize it.. For example, I was happy that I could disable notifications on my phone in separate channels, while my computer at home did receive them. Also, the dark theme is a big bonus for us night-shifters. Before that opening the application during the night would cause some eye pain.

Cons
The startup. I get that it wants to show missed messages while not online and what not, but taking me back pages and pages and load even more messages while doing so is frustrating. I don`t think it has an option to not do that. Also, on the Windows workstation at home, it does slow down a boot up with at least half of a second. Gladly we use Linux at the job, so it`s not a real issue.

Arthur Henrique Dell'Antonia

The best app for team communication

Reviewed 2020-05-08

Once you understand how it works, and what you can do with it, the sky is the limit for Slack. I really recommend people to try it, and to master it. It's a really fun and satisfactory experience.

Pros
Once you trully learn how to use it, you can pratically do anthing you want in the scope of communication. I really enjoy the ease of talking with someone (or more teamworkers), both via message and calls. Slack its super fast responding for that. Besides, its great for sharing both files and code, and I have a lot of fun with the custom emojis!

Cons
The learning curve. When I started using Slack, I wasn't familiar with other professional communication tools. Because Slack have so much funcionalities, it really took me some time to use the platform the way I wanted. I also wish the text could be formatted as a Header (like Header 1, Header 2, etc), because for me it would make some messages easier to understand.

Daniella Blanton

Inter-Company Communications Made Easy!

Reviewed 2020-04-08

I love using Slack and so do my employees. Communication is key within a company and this software makes its easy!

Pros
Keeping in contact with employees and management is easy with Slack. With a wide range of features and even emojis, this is a solid investment.

Cons
With a vast array of features the software can seem a little overwhelming at first.

Paul Tournemaine

Easy to use and easy to link collaborators

Reviewed 2020-04-29

It helped and it helps keep everybody in touch. A thing that is very important in this moment we're living. It also helped us to get closer to our customer thanks to a customer chat system based on slask.

Pros
Easy set-up, free to use if you do not need history, a lots of plugin available , allow you to make private/public channel

Cons
A little bit to restrictive for not paid users ( it would be great to be able to have free user for 2 or 3 channel but not just 1 )

Max Sudyin

Great collaboration tool for IT companies

Reviewed 2020-02-29

We're a distributed company, operating from three continents and Slack helps us to communicate effortlessly. Ability to invite external people helped us to provide fast escalation channel to our customers. Lots of integrations help to bring the necessary information from monitoring systems (Victor Ops, Zabbix, Salesforce CRM) to the sight of responsible people and act faster.

Pros
- Lots of integrations with other popular tools - Integrated video calls - Powerful API/Bot customization

Cons
- Quality of video calls sometimes could be better - Sometimes desktop application looses camera/mic

Anonymous

Slack is the backbone of what we do

Reviewed 2020-05-19

Slack is used by everyone in the business on a daily basis, it allows us to work efficiently and makes working remotely a breeze.

Pros
There are other products out there that provide a similar service, but for me nothing compares to slack's flexibility to integrate with the other online services we use and automate workflows and reporting.

Cons
The video call feature could do with some slight improvements, a grid view would be great for group calls for instance.

Dulce Lafarga

The best, hands down!

Reviewed 2020-04-24

Overall I love this app. It has helped my team transition from full time in-office to full time work from home during the pandemic. It keeps our whole team connected for both business matters or just chatting for fun. I’ve used so many chats in the past for work. Jabber, Hangouts, etc. ..this is so much better by a landslide! I recommend you try it. You won’t go back.

Pros
What I love most is how safe and secure it is. Slack is perfect for business because it is 100% internal messaging. No one outside of your company will access to your workspace.! It is very user friendly and fun to use. You can respond to posts in threads so that the channels don’t get cluttered with responses. You can also create channels (basically chat rooms) that are private and your coworkers cannot find without having been personally invited. You can also create public ones that our coworkers can find and join on their own. I love the emoji reactions and that you can create custom emojis. Let’s not forget that you can post gifs without having to search, copy, paste, etc. By typing in “/giphy” you can generate a gif and post it without having to leave the app. So fast, fun and easy! It’s mobile app is amazing and allows me to communicate with my team the go. It’s an essential! You can also custom your theme colors so I’ve adjusted it to my combination of turquoise with mint green. It’s so pleasing to the eyes! Customize it to your liking! Love this app.

Cons
There’s nothing I hate about this software in all honesty. It surpasses my expectations and constantly is being updated.

Heather Boyce

Best Communication Software for Internal Communications

Reviewed 2020-04-23

I think it's genuinely improved communication and increased connectivity especially during the COVID pandemic and the new working from home life. I greatly appreciate the video integration feature as well as it makes it super easy to do one-on-one or small group check-in's without tying up video conferencing software. I've actually changed most of the executive's check-in's with others to Slack calls right now! While there's definitely some business-level restrictions that can help things flow more smoothly, such as having a limit to how many channels people create, etc., Slack has almost everything I could ask for and I'm slightly sad none of my other organizations I've worked for have utilized this service! It would have saved us a lot of time and trying to contact others.

Pros
I'll rant slight because I love Slack so much. 1) Reminiscent of AOL Instant Messenger, Slack makes communicating internally fun, easy, and instant (depending on the response time). 2) It's encrypted! Not only can I send and receive confidential information from someone, I don't have to worry about it getting into the wrong hands. Since I often book travel on a number of different executive's credit cards, I can get all of their personal information via this chat and it's made it extremely easy to not have to concern myself with the security. 3) You can create channels for your team or organization that are fun as well as for informational and business purposes. 4) You can invite others from outside of the organization to join your Slack and can join other's as well. We have many brands each with their own Slack and can invite each other to those. 5) We love Slack so much, that at the corporate level, we're getting the Slack Enterprise Grid so that all brands and employees can communicate with each other no matter where we are in the world. 6) Super easy to drag and drop files for upload to a person or channel. 7) Tagging abilities makes sure the person you're tagging sees the post. 8) You can link to channels with pertinent information to outside sources. For example, if I want to say, "Check the #announcements channel for more info!" I can right click on the #announcements channel and copy the URL to create a link to that channel on SharePoint. 9) I love the Slack bot!

Cons
A few things I would like them to change: 1) Font formatting in a post can be difficult. 2) When using bullet points, I haven't found a good way to format sub-bullet points. 3) Copying and pasting can be difficult due to formatting. These are all things easily worked around, however.

Elijah Bouma-Sims

Best Team Coordination App I Have Used

Reviewed 2020-04-21

Slack is a great complement to email for quick messages and coordinating with others. I still send research results and other files through email, where I can be more long form, but it makes it extremely easy to ask quick questions or notify others. On a recent project, my team used Slack to "lock" parts of a paper we working on. Overall, Slack has been an excellent coordination tool. It's simple and perfect for my usage

Pros
Slack is an excellent chat tool which is a step above a simple group chat, but not as complex as something like Microsoft Teams. I love that you can divide discussions into different channels. For my organization, we use different channels for different projects and research groups. This prevents main discussions from getting too cluttered and provides privacy for projects which everyone does not need to know about. At the same time, it is not overly cumbersome as I found Microsoft Teams to be. It does not have social networking features, but we don't need that. We have the choice between using Slack or Teams, and I prefer slack for this reason.

Cons
Slack always seems to be logging out of my workspaces. I find that I constantly need to log back in at least once a week. This is a minor annoyance, hence why my rating is still very high, but this problem can delay my work a few minutes each time it happens.

Leon Werneck

Slack solves most issues, but not all

Reviewed 2020-04-16

Slack felt very familiar for me since I already used Discord for social and gaming needs. I liked the ability to customise my interface with literally any colour I chose and the apps and addons I could add (namely, ClickUp) were extremely helpful. However, the pricing model proved a bit too aggressive for my company. I have a small design company in Brasil (which means North American dollars are about five times as expensive for me from the get go), and our biggest selling point is the fact that we keep very close contact with our clients, bringing them into most design discussions. In that light, my intention was to seamlessly transition all my clients from their WhatsApp groups to their own Slack channel. The issue was that *even paying*, the amount of "free guests" I could invite was very limited. I was not able to add all clients, and that ultimately meant I couldn't fully transition to Slack. A small issue I also had was inviting via e-mail instead of (again, like in Discord or even WhatsApp itself) just generating a link my clients would click and be dropped into the channel created a small learning curve. Unfortunately, we ended up having to migrate to Discord itself in order to get out of WhatsApp.

Pros
It essentially makes e-mailing obsolete and has several neat utilities that help streamline the thought, decision, discussion and feedback processes.

Cons
I had less control than I expected (and needed) in regards to overall look and feel, as well as the users' level of interaction in an attempt to soften the learning curve and address some of the app-switching angst. On top of that, the imposing pricing limitations effectively made it impossible for my company to fully transition to Slack.

Likelihood to recommend: 4/10

Mimi McCormick

Best Team Communication Software Out There

Reviewed 2020-04-14

Very positive. Few complaints. A super fun, dynamic, effective platform for work, projects, etc. alike.

Pros
I don't think anything can compete with Slack. It's quick, efficient, fun to use, social, playful (GIF's! /giphy), unclogged and dynamic. The calling and group chat features have been especially handy lately with remote working. I also love that you can add such a diverse range of content (code, movies, images, gifs, lists, quizzes, link previews, etc.). The polls + GIF randomizers also keeps things 'fun' and light, useful for all types of people in all types of roles. The UX is very straightforward, the interface design is beautiful and FUN, which is important for a communication platform. People enjoy being on Slack. I don't mind opening it up - and that means a lot, considering it means I'm working. The search and archive functions are also great.

Cons
Don't have many complaints, honestly. I think it might be better if you had a way of storing 'updates' for projects, the way Basecamp does. Pinning messages, or files? To prioritize them, so they don't get lost in the conversation flow. Also could maybe benefit from a 'presentation mode' for Slack video, unless it exists already, to compete more with its competitors like Zoom? But overall, I have few/no complaints.

Jason Taylor Fitzgerald

Necessary for any Team that wants to Communicate

Reviewed 2020-04-05

It's a very powerful tool that is the backbone of non-face-to-face communications. It's easier and less formal than emails so folks are more apt to just jump in and communicate (which is great). But with loose structure around it, folks are more apt to just spout nonsense in there. The chatroom style of organizing the communication can make it difficult to get past noise since it only takes a GIF or two to push the real communication out of visibility. It's like any communication tool there needs to be etiquette, organization, etc. Slack just happens to be one of those tools that is so powerful and flexible that it can make things very productive or very distracting. In the end, with folks being remote, it is an incredibly handy tool (desktop app, browser, or mobile app) to keep folks in touch with each other.

Pros
I love that almost any service can send notification through Slack either directly or with an integration tool. Jira ticket creations get alerted in specific channels based on project/issue type for example. And Slack can be used to create polls, set reminders, etc. The sidebar organizes your channels (which can be public or private) as well as your DMs (which can be with 1 person or a group of people). The search function is neat, and channels/DMs can be searched/saved/archived/etc.

Cons
Ok, the downside can be astronomical- but it can be controlled with good administration. Slack can easily get out hand with multiple channels that confuse standard-authoritative messaging, and if the channels get too numerous then Slack monitoring can become a very distracting activity (so make rules on channel creation). Similarly, the flexibility of Slack can lead to a wide range of input from folks (GIFs, emoji-reactions, etc.).

Arpine Aghjoyan

Well-designed organizer for remotely working teams

Reviewed 2020-04-02

I have started to use Slack with a small team, where we were doing a two-month long translation project. It was very easy to get integrated to the platform, everything was very intuitive. But the real amazement happened, when I started a programming course. There is a way to share your code the way it appears on your regular code editor, and this is what helps Slack to stand out from the similar products.

Pros
I like that there is no possibility to share the messages from private conversations and private groups with people outside of the group. As in the case of other messenger-type software, you can mention your colleagues in the conversation, and they will be notified. You can create as many channels as you wish, name them and also keep them private, so no one else can enter to the channel without permit. Besides all of this a lot of personalization can be done thru status updates, photo, change the appearance, theme and many more. It is also worth mentioning that besides website, there is also app, where you can get notifications, reply to messages and keep working while being far from your desk.

Cons
The main inconvenience or I would say discomfort, I have faced using Slack, is that you cannot see whether your colleague already seen the message or not. Well, this is not crucial, but as the interface gives an impression of a messenger, this would be nice feature to have. Another discomfort was when I tried to enable desktop notifications, but they never showed up. After couple of days I understood, that I have blocked pop-ups from my Chrome, but Slack did not say me a word on that.

Danique Tersmette

Best Software for Small Teams

Reviewed 2020-04-02

I love Slack. I wouldn’t change Slack for any other chat app at work. For other situations other software such as WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger work just fine, but nothing beats Slack in the workplace. The customizability, the search options, the file sharing, the starring of messages, the pinning of messages, it all just works so well for the workplace.

Pros
What I like the most about Slack and what differentiates it from other chat apps in my opinion is the customizability. About two years ago my team decided to adopt a chat app just for work, and a colleague suggested Slack. He set it up for us where our Google calendar is connected, our Asana, and our Servicedesk. We have three different channels, one for communication, one for calendar notifications, and one for Servicedesk notifications. This reduces so much clutter and we can easily find what we are looking for. Every time anyone adds or removes anything from our shared Google calendar Slack notifies us. We also get a notification at 8am every morning with what’s on our calendar for that day, and we get a notification two hours before a calendar event. Whenever any other departments adds anything requests for our department through Servicedesk we get a notification with request description in Slack as well. Also, if anyone in our own team adds anything to our to-do list in Asana we get a notification in Slack, and if we’ve added something to someone else’s to-do list in Asana and that person finishes it, same story. The customization options are endless.

Cons
What I like the least is that in the free version there is a limit with how many messages you can send. So far we’ve been able to continue communicating with each other but I think that old messages get deleted, so if I use the search option to find a file that was shared or a message, and it was too long ago, I will simply have lost it. But I guess I would just have to pay for it. They have to make their money somehow.

Cole Rocca

Slack is Much More Than Just Messaging

Reviewed 2020-04-01

Simply put, Slack solved the issue of under communicating within our business. The software added a new medium that allows employees to solve problems faster and complete tasks sooner by eliminating unnecessary in-person discussions and remain connected even when remote. Working from home continues to become more and more popular and Slack has now become absolutely vital in allowing that to be done. We're able to chat, phone and video call, screen share, file upload and more! We are very pleased with how useful the software has proven to be.

Pros
Slack's list of pros far outweigh the software's cons. Most importantly, Slack is extremely simple to install and learn! Everything about the user-face is intuitive and looks very similar to tradition messaging applications. Certainly, the messaging functionality of Slack is the greatest pro. The software is available for all computer devices and smartphone devices which allows everyone to stay connected whenever and wherever they need to. Another tremendously impactful pro is the screen sharing function; this is critical to successfully working from numerous offices or from home. It allows us to walk through problems as they arise and creatively collaborative on visuals. Lastly, Slack has the ability to integrate with a users Google Drive which makes file uploading and sharing seamless!!! I could go on but there are ultimately some of the greatest takeaways.

Cons
One of the greatest cons many employees have identified is the software's nagging "unread" notification. A new/unread message badge will appear on both the smartphone and computer applications for a message that has often times already been read. This occurs when the incoming message is received while the application is already open on a device. For instance, like many of us do, I keep the my application open in one of my dual monitors (meaning it is open at all times) and if I have the chat open to Sally's chat and Sally messages me, I will have a new message notification until I click "Mark as read" within our already visible chat. It's a rather small con but it sometimes creates confusion.

Elyse Jurutka

Easy, nerd-friendly and productive

Reviewed 2020-03-30

Slack seems to be the best received by my team. Microsoft Teams, Skype for business - my developers detest and very infrequently utilize. Slack is the best solution I have found and the most universally and easily adopted platform to date.

Pros
Slack is one of those open it and go type of applications. Their desktop, mobile and web based applications are all high performing, relatively bug free applications. Integrating other apps is literally a few button clicks, and the integrations seem endless. File sharing is a breeze, and size limitations are few. Their search functionality is super helpful for digging through old conversations Silent/DND mode is easy to set, and the app notifications in general are subtle yet effective

Cons
Limitations to the free/paid versions, specifically chat archives, are literally my only complaint. They do what they do super well and I have yet to find a competitor that behaves as well with my system, CPU usage and overall ease-of-adoption for my developers.

Anonymous

Working from home? Slack is a game changer.

Reviewed 2020-03-27

I did not really pay attention to the quality of Slack before being forced to work from home in this highly distributed, asynchronous mode. When you have to cope with working from home (and kids schooling from home), this is a very nice upgrade to emails and other forms of online collaborative tools. It's a one-stop shop where you can also see the notification from Google Doc edits, and even respond from Slack. It saves me a lot of time.

Pros
I've been using Slack for over 5 years now, I liked it. But for the past 3 weeks, with the pandemic outburst, my organization switch to a full work-from-home environment, and Slack has been a game changer for our company. The thing I love with Slack is the integration of your whole work ecosystem within the app: you can attach your G-suite credentials, and Slack will send you reminders for your next meeting, with a direct link to the Google Hangout URL if your organization uses it. Now that we need to have all our standups and daily meeting in an on-line form, this feature has turned to be a real boost in my productivity. You can also see the status of your co-workers, if they're available or already in a meeting. And if they are, you can leave a message on Slack, they will respond when they can in an asynchronous way.

Cons
The learning curve is a bit steep as many shortcuts and integrations are not necessarily very intuitive to learn. Also, there is a risk of being overwhelmed with a multiplication of Slack channels you can subscribe to, and getting too many notifications that can become a distraction. But that's the flip side of having a central tool for all your online collaborative work.

AMAR MANRO

Helped keep our team across the world be on the same page

Reviewed 2020-03-22

We have a large team spanned across the globe and with slack its easy to keep everyone on the same page.

Pros
How easy it was to use. There has been other software that does the same thing and recently Microsoft has been pushing teams. However in my opinion Slack was the first one on the block. We used skype but it seemed "clunky". The group functionality and the ability to integrate with API is awesome. We have it linked both to snow and outlook calendar.

Cons
The only thing I dislike is that you can not see if a user has read your message (somewhat like whatsapp or imessage)

Anonymous

A must for professional communication

Reviewed 2020-03-22

The deployment and set up was easy and after about a couple of days, you will get used to it. Slack is our primary application for professional communication with clients and offshore teammates. Having multiple channels for various purposes is a good feature. Sometimes the loading time is high, and even when you search for messages, but this can be overlooked when considering slack as a package.

Pros
Slack is very easy to use with its simple and highly professional UI making things easily available, like the search, using emojis and reactions, etc. Unlike Microsoft Teams, here in Slack you can search for a message using a keyword, and trust me this is a lifesaver. You can have multiple channels set up for a variety of communication purposes. The mobile version is also good and reliable. The app is easy to use but at the same time has very professional UI and all the necessary features.

Cons
Slack is expensive when compared to its competitors. It should have a feature to search for gifs online like MS teams. You may miss out on some important emails as most messages are conveyed on the chat. So you have to be clear about it, emails are still a priority when it comes to professional communication.

Jon Druker

Really helpful especially when working remotely

Reviewed 2020-03-17

Slack has helped our teams working remotely by allowing us to share, speak, video all with the one app. We do use other apps fro other apps for collaboration, but Slack has proven to be easy to work with, and requires virtually no training. It's simple to use and for projects with a lot of people giving input it works well. Has definitely been a help for us across the company.

Pros
I was never in love with messaging software, but I am starting to like this one a lot given that I am working remotely, and it complements the other communications and sharing tools we have. It's really good for group discussions and sharing documents and info to smaller groups or specific individuals. it's linked with our G Suite and the integration for sharing works really well. That might be it's biggest plus. The integration with other apps I like Jira or Gmail or SalesForce is useful. If you don't integrate with those apps, it's still pretty good for collaboration. It's also pretty easy to follow a conversation thread, way easier than email or any other collaboration tool I have used, and that is really helpful when tracing the development of an idea or an issue. Being able to add people to a conversation is also useful.

Cons
Not my favorite interface, you do need to hunt around for functions. Also if you open a thread in the sidebar, the UI gets a little crowded and confusing. It's also not a replacement for email. Think of Slack as the more informal collaboration tool, and your email and the more official one. They complement each other. If you have a lot of channels in your organization, it gets to be total information overload if you need to stay on top of them. Depends on your role, but it's easy to get sucked in to too many channels and lose focus on work.