All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

Slack Reviews

Pros

Super easy set up, effortless onboarding, and great pricing plan for small groups. It has strong search functionality and intuitive threading.

Read the full review
I love that this has reminder features, I use slack to message myself for anything i need to have at hand. I also love that it helps keep everyone on the same page.

Read the full review
I like that this can be used community-wide as a "water cooler. It is also awesome because you can have private conversations.

Katie A.

Read the full review

Cons

Only thing which I struggle with is that I get lost in my channels sometimes. You can only go into one channel at a time.

Bharat B.

Read the full review
Slack is a tool, and if a company fails to identify the ground rules, it can be useless. The organizations that dislike using slack often have not defined rules around using it.

Rocky K.

Read the full review
It feels disorganized, repetitive, and obsolete. I do not think that this is going to be something we use in the longterm.

Amanda A.

14,449

4,966

20,386 reviews

Love Slack

Best Office Messaging

The communication tool you can't do without

Slack has improved our communication workflow with our team and improved the way we interact with clients. It allows for multiple language to be spoken by using some translation tools, thus including more staff and especially non-english speaking staff.

Pros

Slack is a great collaborative software that helps users to collaborate across cities, countries, and timezones. It is a crucial part of our project workflow and helps to let developers, project managers, and clients speak to each other in a collaborative enviroment. It has numerous integrations that allow for third-party apps to interact, create, and receive messages and alerts. These integrations allow us to have one place in which all communications can flow and makes it easier for a worldwide team to be up on the latest updates and critical alerts that may happen.

Cons

The slack tool can be a little battery intensive, especially as you add more slack channels. It also gets quite expensive as you add additional paid members to the group. If you are not aware of all your paid members, or you add guests as paid it can get very expensive quickly. Because this is a discussion, it is also possible that critical conversations can get lost in the stream of texts coming through.

Mostly perfect

Slack has been fantastic for keeping our remote workforce connected, fostering a sense of community within our organization, and freeing up our inbox for more important items. There have been a few quirks over the years, but the UI changes have been mostly positive. It seems like the platform is constantly improving with features that are actually useful instead of features for the sake of adding new features.

Pros

Slack Connect is great for facilitating efficient communication with partner businesses, vendors, and clients. Slack was already a vital part of our business and the ability to connect with other organizations on Slack cuts down on email significantly.

Cons

My only complaint with Slack at the moment is that Slack Connect conversations are placed at the top of the conversation list, even above starred conversations. Internal communication is more important to me and not having an option to place conversations with outside organizations below the ones I've determined are most important is an annoyance.

Slack – Managing projects optimally

Slack is a tool which can be used as a project management tool for managing projects and also it can be used for internal communication inside a project group or a company. Each project group can have its own channels inside the company workspace. Communication through private and public channels has made Slack more popular among the users.

Pros

Slack can be considered as a project management tool. Slack provides both mobile version and desktop version applications where the mobile version is installed in the mobile phone so that whatever may be the situation user may not miss any important information about the project instantly. While the desktop version helps to transfer files of the working project easily while working on the project....

Cons

In order to use Slack users need to have a proper network connection. Without proper network coverage, Slack won’t work. Sometimes messages won’t be delivered to the other side after a selected time(10 PM). Unless the user sets his or her state into active user won’t receive notifications after 10 pm. If the state is away then the messages sent after 10 pm won’t be delivered till the next morning. Because of this sometimes users may miss some important messages. It is both an advantage and a disadvantage too. There is no mechanism to know whether the receiver read the message or not once a message is sent. The sender has to wait until other messages come from the receiver acknowledging that the receiver read the message.

Slack is the solution for internal communication and collaboration

Slack helps our team stay coordinated, interact in a timely manner, and track information in channels that provide context.

Pros

Slack's ease of use and understanding it paramount. While I find Teams to be over-extending itself into the Office world, Slack is just about making sure you can keep communication clear, timely and open. The ability to shift between private DMs, open channels, and private channels nicely delineates the way you can manage communication across a team. We use Slack for all internal communication, relegating email to external comms, which works really well.

Cons

The channels can overwhelm casual users at times. While the system tries to clean things up with suggestions, I think Slack should do more intentional hiding of under-used channels to keep it clean.

The Best Instant/Group Messaging Platform on the Market

Slack is great at keeping people connected across companies and geographies. I use it both personally and professionally, and I it would be difficult to imagine not using it.

Pros

At least from my perspective, Slack pioneered the modern chat/channel communication platform and it offers the best and fastest experience. I love the seamlessness of switching from chats to channels and finding the thread I need at the moment I need it.

Cons

Unfortunately for me, I work in a Microsoft dominated company that will only pay for MS Teams. If Slack were a clear bargain, I might have a case to get them to switch. However, the paid versions of Slack are a decent chunk of change. That has meant that those of us who like to use Slack must do so on a free account.

Slack - still great

Particularly great during pandemic - we can run all our internal comms via Slack, with external still primarily on email.

Pros

Really easy to use, threads, all the stuff I need in 1 place and a great search function as well. Its particularly excellent for having multiple companies going in there which I need

Cons

The primary gripe is that we'd have to upgrade to save messages beyond a certain date, which is annoying and a hard decision cause you mostly dont need those messages either, just sometimes. That and the limit on file sharing and storing unless you upgrade as well. Lastly, files aren't as easy to manage in 1 place, split by type. Teams is a bit better at that specifically

Easy and versatile communication software

Overall it's been very convenient to share files, tasks, separate conversations into different channels as not to dilute the conversation.

Pros

I just started using this as I grew my team overseas and needed a central place for organized conversations to occur. I moved from Google Chat to Slack because it was alot more powerful as far as file sharing, organization of topics and integrations.

Cons

I wish it has a way to record and send voice messages (like what's app and other chat software). Sometimes there is a concept that is better and easier explained through voice than typing and for that I often WhatsApp message my employees, which takes that conversation to a different platform.

Reliable communication Software

I love Slack and I recommend it to everyone as long as you have great and stable internet you are good to go. It's super organized and fun.

Pros

What I like most about slack is that it is very sure and any data shared on this platform is very safe. Slack allows one to communicate to a bunch of people and at the same time, it helps you organize your conversations through the channel feature. I also like how easily slack integrates with other software.

Cons

what I least like about slack is that the free version comes with a lot less storage space but depending on your organization and the channels you are in. space can be manageable.

Very good team collaboration tool

I use it now as a team collaboration tool. I like its bots and reminders most of all.

Pros

I love its mention functionality as well as channel customization and bots. It is easy to use in terms of interface

Cons

The limit of data storage and messages that disappear during some time. It is easy to lost important info.

Best multi-platform Collaboration tool

Great for small team or larger organisations groups communications. Increases productivity of the team.

Pros

The user experience for collaboration is great. Modern chatting and communication options. Ease of use. Easy to learn.

Cons

Not the best when it comes to voice and video collaboration options.

A great free product with a high cost of entry

Slack is a great free platform for team collaboration and communication, that really helps simplify our communication process. While it has some issues, overall the free tier offers a great option for any team looking to improve their communications.

Pros

Slack creates a simple & powerful interface for inter-team communication, allowing for simplified communications that move beyond emails & facebook messages by creating a secure platform for teams. Slacks best features are perhaps the ability to setup channels (which allows for very focussed spaces dealing with a particular topic), and the ability to reply to individual messages in a thread. Channels...

Cons

Slack is a great platform, but can be a bit confusing to administrate on the back-end, or confusing to new users. Setting people up for success on Slack can take a bit of time; as there is a learning curve for tech illiterate people. Perhaps the most difficult issue with Slack however is in managing team members who do not check Slack frequently. Simple notifications (via email, text etc) for @channel, @everyone or @specific_user would be beneficial, as it would help eliminate some of these issues. Supposedly, Slack offers email notifications, however in all my testing I've never been able to get it to work properly, and it is something that team members need to setup on their own - it is not something that can be set across the workspace & then opted out of by team members.

Simple and easy to use with intuitive designs

I'm very happy with my overall experience with Slack and it has all the features you wish you had in communication software. After we started using Slack, the number of emails exchanged had decreased because we can always refer back to the old message within slack by using search. It has a customizable notification setting so that you can pay most attention to what's most important to you, which is a great feature when you have dozens of channels that you belong to.

Pros

It is very intuitively designed and you can start using this software from day one without much of a learning curve. You don't have to be a tech person to get it started. I like the feature like being able to send codes/commands in a differentiated text (framed with red color etc) and directing message in a large chat group by using "@", or copy and pasting older message, etc.. those are all very practical features that I use often. I also like the mobile app version which allows me to be connected even when I'm away from my computer. I also like the reminder feature which I set up for recurring meetings or just as my personal reminder.

Cons

It seems like they do have a service interruption a couple of times a year. When the entire company is relying on slack for internal communication, the service outage stops our operation (although we use google chat for a backup during those outages). Also, image loading via mobile app seems to take quite a long time even with a stable network.

Slack Recomendation

- Slack has definitely improved my productivity and made communication much more effective. This applies to the whole organization at scale to. - Since we migrated to Slack as an organization, majority if not all the user's in our company have adapted well to Slack. Overall it is a success as Slack is a really powerful communication & collaboration software package. - It provides functionality and can replace email, text & instant messaging. It syncs all data on it's web, desktop & mobile apps. This allows for communication/collaboration on the go - literally anywhere - anytime!

Pros

- Allows superb enterprise-level communication. - Integrates with other software seamlessly and allows productivity to be maximized. - Allows simple tasks/interactions to be automated - which ultimately saves time per user & organization. - Great user interface on desktop, web & mobile app. - Lots of functionality available - in terms of user groups/channels.

Cons

- Initially, it takes some time to get used to fully. Although eventually its worth getting used to! - It doesn't work perfectly on slow wi-fi but that's understandable and area dependant. - Doesn't show user/contact last seen as it time specific. - If you have alot of groups/channels you can possibly miss priority messages if your settings are not adjusted to bring messages to the top. Although this can be customised to your liking and only is a problem initially.

Best app for messaging!

Slack is very fun to use and easy to get used to. I think every company should use it. It’s also very private so only people within the company have access to message you. External users cannot find you or message you. Great software overall!

Pros

This app is very easy to get used to and it’s very customizable. You can choose a color theme or create your own and manage which channels you want muted or you got want to receive notifications. I also love that they have an mobile app, a desktop app or you can use the web browser to login. It’s a great way to communicate with colleagues 1:1 or by group chats (channels). You can also generate polls or gifs in the chat bar, respond to messages in a thread to not overflow the chat with responses and react to messages with emojis. I love it. I’ve used it for years!

Cons

Every so often the software does have issues. It’s happened maybe once or twice a year where it crashes for a couple of hours and messages cannot be sent. I think it has to do with the server or something but it usually resolves pretty quickly.

Best Task Management

Overall I am content with Slack. Comparing to the previous ones we have tried using, Slack definitely kept all of us on the same page when it comes to the progress of a project. There's no confusion or misunderstanding. Slack makes everything transparent for me and my team. Before we use Basecamp, Asana, just to name a few. After years of trials and error, Slack works the best for me and my organization.

Pros

Personally for myself, as a manager who is too busy to follow-up and check on my staff's progress. Slack has been very helpful in allowing my staff to update the board without me having to reach out. I just log on daily to see the progress of my team on an easy to view dashboard.

Cons

Sorting & Filtering old projects - Perhaps maybe achieve old projects I no longer need to view. It can be quite a clutter to see a project that was discuss 2 years ago. Its not a big deal since the project are able to have old ones at the bottom.

Mostly reponses what a company needs but some improvement need in product

Overall it is fine. I enjoy the product. I would be happier with the features I mentioned above.

Pros

Useful, have a lot of features, making video calls, file sharing, adding bots etc. Product supported in variety of platforms, which is nice! Macos, Windows, Linux, IOS, Android, and Web.

Cons

First of all, the product uses a lot of computer resources, which makes computer really slow. Especially having GIF emoji's in chat, even if the product in the background, uses a lot of CPU resource. Second problem is about the video chatting. I started my job with an old Macbook, which is fine for most of the time. However, if I would want to make a video call/meeting with someone over slack, it...

The perfect Team Collaboration Tool

I really like Slack, and it saved me a lot of money and time because I have an online business and now I really don't need to have a real-life office to run my business and stay organized with the team I just use Slack with other tools Slack support and that's it, It's perfect for everyone especially small businesses like mine. I use Slack daily and I will keep using it because I think it's the best tool for me and for my team and I really don't need to use another one because I can do everything I want with Slack and I know the team behind it is trying to do their best to improve it and add more useful and powerful features to help us stay organized.

Pros

It's a very cheap and easy to use tool with a friendly user interface and I can change it to a dark theme which I like a lot. I like the chat option because I can send and receive real-time messages and chat with my team directly and the Slack messaging app is very powerful and amazing. I also like the emojis and gifs in the chat because it brings a lot of fun to the workspace. I feel very safe using...

Cons

They can improve the mobile app and add more cool features in the future. They can Improve the search feature because sometimes It's really hard to find something especially if the workspace is big and there are many channels. They can add a video chat feature to this tool because a lot of companies now are using the video option in other tools for better communication.

Great team tool

Easier communication, daily reports are put on Slack for all jobs. Using Slack has meant administrative folks having access to files more quickly and field personnel having to make fewer trips to the office with paper forms.

Pros

Slack enables our team to submit reports quickly and easily. They can also take pictures of potential issues at jobsites and send those to individuals or to a group with ease. Slack Bot can help with reminders, tasks and scheduling and is a great resource. Part of our setup process for any new project is to set up a slack channel for the project and assign users to that channel. It is a great messaging software that can be used for so much more. It is so much better than sending a group text and causing everyone's phone to blow up. Highly recommend Slack.

Cons

I have never seen a way to search within channels for an item I may be trying to find. Having a way to search would help. I have a pretty good memory for a time frame of when something occurred so as it is now, I look for something by when I think it was put in Slack.

Great communication tool

We have loved it. It has become the primary (almost exclusive) means of intra-department communication for our IT team.

Pros

I love pretty much everything about Slack. I love the ability to easily create new private and public channels; the ability to create conversation threads; the ability to pin comments; the huge selection of app integrations; the customizable Slackbot responses (we have had a lot of fun with this one); dark mode; the ability to quickly and easily share files with other members of the Slack workspace; the awesome Slack call feature; the ability to quickly access multiple Slack workspaces by adding them to the left sidebar; the native rich-text editor for enriching comments (including the code block option, which has been hugely useful for us); and the ease of management. We have found Slack to be a tremendously useful communication and collaboration tool for our organization.

Cons

I don't have a lot of complaints about Slack. One small annoyance is the truncated "Direct messages" list on the left side. This list displays team members to whom you have recently sent a direct message. However, it would be more useful if it was just a scrolling list of ALL team members (alphabetized), maybe even with a quick search box at the top, so you could quickly send a direct message to anyone on the team, and not just those with whom you have had a recent direct message conversation. That's really it in terms of cons. It is a great tool that has become indispensable for us.

Slack is the answer to Email's poor usability

In one word, Slack is excellent. It makes work fun, lively, dynamic, transparent and much more real-time. Even though our team is fully remote, we can feel connected because of the communications and collaborations tools that Slack provides.

Pros

Our team adopted Slack in preparation of becoming a fully virtual, distributed company, and also as an alternative to email, which creates blind spots of knowledge within the organization. Our work has been completely transformed by adopting Slack! First, we had 100% adoption of the platform as our primary internal communications medium. Second, the transparency of information and project cycles have allowed us to be far more efficient and effective for our clients (response times, clarity of recommendations, deliverables), and finally, it has eliminated about 50% - 75% of our daily emails. A massive win!

Cons

While Slack has several tools for tagging information and prioritizing information, it provides limited tools for prioritization. While it's primarily a communications/collaborations platform and not a project management tool, adding ability to better prioritize certain tasks would help make this tool even more effective for a professional services company.

Slack keeps us together

Over the past 2 years of using Slack I have come to really like it. I like that it is customizable. I can choose to only alert me during my chosen work hours and I can extend or shorten those times as needed. I can express who I am and let my coworkers know a little about me (or not) by having a picture for my profile.

Pros

Working from home can make training a new employee difficult, but with Slack we have been able to be successful. Slack provides us the ability to share screens and use the the draw feature to point out important items. We are also able to get the team all on the same call for collaboration and even to socialize. Slack lessens the feeling of isolation from everyone having to be in a different location instead of all being in the office together.

Cons

The only feature that I would like changed is that when looking at an attachment and I choose to enlarge it, I have to maximize Slack's window in order to see it full size. I would like the attachment to enlarge outside of Slack's window size.

Slack is not Slacking for your Business

We believe Slack deserves a 9/10. There is more interaction on this platform than any other platform I am apart of! Wish they had fixed the group call features better! Maybe an investment in cloud?

Pros

Slack gives users and business the ability to communicate on a platform that doesn't feel to formal like Microsoft teams and it great for the Gen Z/ Mellinial generation of workers. This is importanat because I believe flow of work is also correlated to work habbits. The user experience is flawless for chat and it also create the ability to easily make channels with persmissions like flipping light switch.

Cons

I think one of the cringiest problems with slack is the inability of having a lightweight screenshare and the ability to not have dropped calls. There are many scenarios where we had clients or even our own team meetings struggling to have everyone on the call in sync. It has been a pain so we ended up using Zoom for group calls. We wish Slack didn't have this problem in the first place.

I sometimes wonder how collaboration worked before Slack

I find it hard to remember life before Slack. We all worked in a single open plan office but, like most offices, still communicated predominantly from our desks. Our go to IM tool was Skype and it was an easy way for conversations to get siloed. Slack brought those conversations out into the open, made them discoverable and brought in automations to make them richer. If you're debating whether to use Skype or Slack there really is no contest. I'd also suggest it outperforms Teams and other competing collaboration and instant messaging tools for it's deep integrations.

Pros

Real-time instant messaging, file sharing and integrations with key apps that automate important proceses mean a high percentage of tasks can be managed all in one place.

Cons

Threads are often difficult to keep track of. Slack has done its best to elevate Threads but I still find myself missing things when people don't @ mention me.

There's Everything Else, Then There's SLACK

We were having to find a way of maintaining connectivity as the company went into a fully remote work environment. Prior to COVID 19 we were heavily dependent on in person communication to get tasks completed and communication organized. Post COVID we've actually increase our productivity in task completion and maintained or increased out teams communication and morale through the features of Slack. Without it out company would certainly have had a bigger negative impact from COVID, now we're not just surviving, we're thriving!

Pros

Mobile and desktop notifications, specific channels to tailor communication based on the audience, having a log history to lock back on, easily sharing files, integrations that make workflows easy, increasing productivity and connectivity with remote teams, creating a culture that cares

Cons

Nothing overly stands out as something that isn't to like. There's so many customizations and personalized controls that give the users the level of interaction that they want and need. Slack continues to set the bar.

Great for DevOps Teams, Project Teams, and School Users

I have used Slack as both a student and worker. As a student, Slack was incredibly important for our classes to stay on top of assignments, changes, team work, and basic communication. The university's email server constantly had issues. Slacks mobile app, local device app, and availability via web made schoolwork and school projects so easy to stay on top of. As a systems administrator, Slack's...

Pros

-Ability to integrate chatbots with API calls for reporting -Ability to collaborate with team members -Ability to use from beginner level and on -Ability to review old messages from departed users -Great for students to collaborate and learn with -Customer Service

Cons

-SSO is only offered at lower paying tiers and it has to be with Google -SAML Auth/SSO using other vendors is only available with higher paying tiers

Select your country

10+ YEARS RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE

© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.