BuilderTREND Reviews

User ratings

4.5

1.5K
  • Likelihood to recommend8.8/10

See full reviews by rating

Pros

Cons

Great array of tools to use in making the building process methodical, tools like the documents folder for all project drawings and specification are great. The integration with Xero was a big plus.

RM

Robert M.

It has many great features that streamline communication with trades and help them to get paid on time. It’s a great way to organize multiple projects at a time.

JH

Joshua H.

As mentioned above, job costing is such a great thing that can be accomplished. Sending bills out of BT is also a great aspect of the software.

SN

Susan N.

Unable to autosave to-do's or the daily log is obnoxious. If you accidentally close out the program you lose all data.

CH

Chris H.

This isnt to blame on buildertrend its just we struggle to get our sub contractors to cooperate using our online services.

GM

Greg M.

Our trades hate it because it is hard to use on their phones.

JP

Zoho Projects

Sage Estimating-logocaret

Sage Estimating

Compare both
How would you rate BuilderTREND?

1,564 reviews

Gregg C.

President/CEO

Construction, 11-50 employees

Important Contractor Tool

Transcript

Gregg C.: I'm Gregg, President, and CEO of a construction company, and I give Buildertrend a four. Buildertrend...

Great software!

Transcript

Alita D.: Hi, I'm Alita. I'm an office manager. I give BuilderTREND five out of five stars. For more...

Revolutionized my sales follow up

I used other CRMs in the past, but love using BuilderTrend. Its simple setup has allowed me to keep track of my customers as well as provide better follow up to my clients. I just utilize the Sales section of BuilderTrend, but it has improved my client relationships and increased my overall sales.

Pros

Buildertrend is great--I love using the Activity Calendar and Lead Report to keep track of my follow up with my customers. I can use activity notes to remember what I discussed with customers when we last spoke, and this helps me engage in better dialogue when I follow up with customers. Our installation team loves using the project management feature to keep track of our installs and provide an easy transition from sales to installation.

Cons

The user interface is kind of clunky, especially on the app. Sometimes it is difficult to find stuff and the filters can get annoying.

Brian, thank you for your review and honest feedback! We love hearing how Buildertrend has helped your company.

Arthur's BT experience at TCON Homes

It is helping in changing the culture at TCON Homes. It is a bit hard to explain for construction people that planning is more cost effective than starting smashing walls because you are aggregating value doing physical labour.

Pros

Communication of job progress with subcontractors, client portal, upload photos, variatin and owner invoices.

Cons

There is no taxes *yet. No milestones schedule items, but maybe not needed. Hope one day I can see To-dos on Gantt chart (not as a extra line, but a floating point).

BuilderTREND to work good

I really like this software

Pros

I really like that you can learn how to use it in a easy way, you can use the functions and the tools really good and you can use the templates that helps you too much.

Cons

I don't like that some templates didn't work properly and you can't use the functions and tools correctly and it may cause that the experience using this software can be bad.

Concept is there

The concept is there, some features are really tricky to implement and train

Pros

It does have a lot of features you can learn to use and create a process for

Cons

Too many unknown features and the tutorials weren't too helpful

A necessary tool to achieve the best follow-up of work programs and accurately document all project

Buildertrend has worked to keep the work schedule always updated, as well as facilitated access to documents and other related items related to any task or activity, and provided us with many reports and summaries that show the progress of the project, as well as explain and show us many facts about a specific topic or about the project As a whole.

Pros

Buildertrend simplifies the way to access project information data or the projects you're working on so you can view it, share it with colleagues, update it and save it, using your PC or mobile app. It has increased the organizational capabilities of the institution and enabled us to work on more than one job at the same time.

Cons

I did not find any technical problems during use, and all the information I needed was easily obtained, and they have an excellent and quick response support team that answers your inquiries politely and helps you solve your problem within a short time.

Thank you for this review, Obada! We greatly appreciate it.

Easy to use and not just for building homes

I would recommend this to other companies. My friend is using it perfectly for her real estate sales and marketing company. They're not even building but I'm finding that this platform is flexible and adaptable like that.

Pros

My favourite bit about this software is that I can add as many users as I like and not incur extra charges like we do for other software. At one point we had over 40 users. It's extremely helpful to us to have this feature because as a small business, we want to grow and it's difficult to do that if we can't include all the people we need in a system due to cost.

Cons

We had issues with the cost codes. There were issues that could only be dealt with through the backend. I wish we had the ability to fix things like that ourselves including uploading a csv into the system.

Diana, thank you so much for your review! It's awesome to hear the way you are using it for your business, along with your friend in her business too!

Amazing Software

Pros

It is so easy to use and extremely great for organizing selections. The calendar/schedule is also easy to follow.

Cons

It can be a bit pricey but in the end, it's worth it.

Buildertrend streamlines projects from start to finish

Buildertrend makes each project flow much smoother by easily allowing those in the field to communicate with the office and then with the client!

Pros

The ability to easily input data and retrieve data is amazing! This allows us to always see where we stand on projects and to run project-specific reports.

Cons

I did find that the app was slightly harder to upload pictures to a job or daily log. On a desktop, it was easy though.

Same page

This software has helped with things like if I miss a day I know what happened on that day that I missed. It keeps everybody on the same page we report our time through this it's like everything that we do got simplified and we know more about what is going on

Pros

The thing I like most about this software is it keeps everybody on the same page.

Cons

There is nothing that I just like about the software everything is As should be and simple.

Review of Product Software

Our experience with BuilderTREND has been excellent and is allowing us to manage more projects than ever! Our clients love the professionalism of this software!

Pros

BuilderTrend is an essential software for busy construction professionals who need an easy to use platform for managing construction projects, generating proposals and tracking costs.

Cons

Connectivity is sometimes a problem, though it could be related to the location of some jobsites.

Streamlines so many parts of our business

Very good. If youre going to integrate BT make sure you take it on a section at a time. Dont try and open up too many sections to your team These guys have given a lot of thought to the software and it forms an amazing backbone for any client facing construction business. We couldnt last the day without it.

Pros

This software is outstanding in many different areas We initially purchased it initially to manage our clients selections for new homes and it quickly got integrated elsewhere to the point its the backbone of many of our processes We use this now to manage client change order (it pays for itself on this alone every month) selections, materials ordering from site, daily logs, H&S management, RFI's for the design team and photo storage and programming to name but a few We couldn't go back to the old ways of doing many of these There are a lot of different features and you'll certainly find many that'll make it worth your while to use Oh and the customer support is ace

Cons

Overall roll out is great and intuitive but you do need to comit to integrating BT to your business and this takes time and effort. THis is a software that gives back 10 fold what you put in, but it does need your comittment.

Richard, thank you so much for your honest review and feedback! We appreciate you sharing how Buildertrend works for Appletree Estates, and we feel so lucky to have you as customers.

Now that our company has grown, this program meets our needs better

Last year when we first were shown the program we decided not to go forward. Now our that our company has grown, we see that BuilderTrend will be crucial for keeping ourselves and our crews organized. The rocky portions of the software do not outway the usefulness to our company. There is a learning curve and a lot of things to iron out as we implement it, but I can see it being a huge asset compared to other programs once we nail it down. On top of that, I know their team will keep improving the features and adding more features to a program that is already rich with features.

Pros

The best feature in this program is communication and scheduling. Also, where other programs have to borrow from many 3rd party programs to achieve their functions, this program is able to incorporate all in one. We are using it for every step of the construction process, from sales to estimates, to job management and scheduling and invoicing. Other neat features include requesting bids to subs and...

Cons

This software is a little more difficult to learn than other competing programs, due to it's complexity and depth of features. At times it's a bit overwhelming, though that is to be expected with the level of depth. Also some other programs have a general appearance which makes the program more inviting and user friendly. That being said, we still moved forward with this program because of the need...

Jesse, thank you so much for your honest review! We appreciate you taking the time to give us such detailed feedback and I will be sure to pass it on to our Product team. Thank you again!

G.C. point of view

Overall my experience has been outstanding with this product. It has freed me up to better RUN my company (instead of it running me) and finally be able to have some decent structure to it all in a few pieces of software to include BT.

Pros

organization, everything in one place...even if you want your QB to link to it, which we don't...I kinda like the two separate. We don't really use the PO portion of the software but have tried it and it's nice to know that its there...wish there were more video's on the entire program from set up through project completion. Techniques and more demonstrations on product capabilities and link-able aspects...

Cons

For what I use it for I don't really have a dislike but I don't use but maybe half of the program. Wish there were more video's on the entire program from set up through project completion. Techniques and more demonstrations on product capabilities and link-able aspects of the program.

Well worth the money

The software, like all I've tried to implement over the years, can be a little frustrating at first. You're going to get pushback from trade contractors and field people. However, I think it is well worth it. More importantly, the trades and field people have come to rely on the software and usually appreciate it after 3 to 4 jobs.

Pros

The customer service is surprisingly amazing. Anytime I have a question, I am able to reach someone by phone or email very quickly. The integration with Quickbooks Desktop is almost flawless. We use the daily logs quite regularly. These logs allow the entire team to remain up to date on the jobs and their progress. We've also found that the homeowners are reassured by these daily logs. The bids section has saved us tremendous time and increased our estimating accuracy. The ability to be able to template jobs, bid packages, and so many other items saves us a ton of time.

Cons

The software seems to be most suited for a cost-plus project. As we bid jobs on a fixed price, we have found a few of the features less useful. We are only using about half of the features. I can't fairly say that these unused features are not good, but we do want to use some of these features, and the fact that we have been unable to implement them causes me some frustration. These features include the selections and the warranty sections.

BuilderTrend - Simming Pool Remodeling Company

We have had a great experience overall. The software works great, there is little to no downtime, and the customer service team has always been prompt and nice.

Pros

It is cloud based, so you can access it from any computer or phone. The software is semi-customizable, which has allowed us to label and schedule things how we need them. We absolutely love the scheduling portion and the ability to upload daily logs/pictures from the job site for every job. There are a ton of other features that are really useful, such as the owner payment, job costing, and change order sections. Your overall experience will depend on how well you set up the program initially. If you set it up right, it is a great tool.

Cons

While the program is semi-customizable, it is not completely customizable. There is not much they can do to help if you want a feature more customized other than submit a ticket and hope other people are complaining about the same thing. But, that is to be expected with any mass sold cloud based software.

I didn't know what I was missing...

I am finding myself being more accurate and detailed with estimates and labor costs. The time clock feature takes a lot of calculating off my shoulders. The scheduling, estimating, change orders, to-do's, daily logs, and PO's/bills features cut my logging time in half and the fact that everything is stored on Buildertrend and that I can make this information visible to clients prevents me from going...

Pros

The live updates in communication with subs and clients makes this software very desirable for my clients. Simplifies the process of communication and keeping people up to date.

Cons

For a single person that handles all day to day operations for a company and trying to learn a new software is a challenge. Not necessarily a con but to integrate the software makes for a bigger workload for a couple weeks.

Thoughts on BuilderTrend from a Remodeling company perspective

Solved the time that it took to email out the schedule to all trades and team now it flows alot better and I answer the phone alot less. Since most of the answers trades and the team are looking for are on BT they can find most of what they need there as long as we input the info they have what they need. BuilderTrend gives me more time and freedom to do what owners of a business should be doing. It was one of the best choices I have made to start using it.

Pros

The scheduling feature is what we use most. Its nice to have all the info to our trades and managers so they are fully aware of the project, can see pictures, and have a full scope of work prior to start date. We use the estimating part of the software as well I do wish the contract section had more detail in it which I think it could if we took some extra time to develop that.

Cons

Very happy now I can have as many job starts as I would like instead of being limited. Little unhappy that I can have only 3 users and have to pay for more than 3. As the owner who does estimates I want access as a user. I also have a designer who does estimates and she needs access. I also have 2 project managers/carpenters that need access to it as well so I will be looking at having to pay for additional users on top of the price increase I have already incurred but making it unlimited job starts. Haven't fully used BT to its full potential but we will at some point. The software is top notch I don't have really any complaints that I can think of at this time.

Custom Homes experience with Buildertrend

Pros

Scheduling, Logging, Time clocks, to do's ETC are very easy to use and extremely handy/ useful for use as a construction company for various reasons such as keeping a constant flow of action happening on our building sites and in theory there should be no gaps of time on the building site where nobody is working or unable to work, we believe keeping a consistent flow of action on a building site is possible through buildertrend and with nobody having to go out to site to check whats happening on site 90% of the time

Cons

sub contractors don't generally enjoy singing into our computer system every time they want paid or to confirm theyre gonna take action on a job ETC, this isnt to blame on buildertrend its just we struggle to get our sub contractors to cooperate using our online services,

Great software for job organization!

Overall Buildertrend has transformed our company for the better and brought us successfully into the future. We were able to go from all paperwork to virtually all digital. Files drawers full of paperwork sorted by each job are a thing of the past. Now all the information anyone needs is all packaged nicely, per job, at our fingertips!

Pros

I love the all encompassing information housing Buildertrend provides for each of our jobs. All of our team members can access this info with ease. No more information hiding in private emails or documents hiding on company drives...all of which cause major problems when team members are on holiday or out sick.

Cons

There are a few quirks and drawbacks I have found on Buildertrend. The most common qiurk seems to be the inconsistency of the same functions across different sections in Buildertrend. For instance uploading a file is done one way in one section of Buildertrend and a different way in another. Same with deleting items. In one section things just delete, in other sections you have to verify deletion...

Builder trend User

Its been really good and really helpful in professionalising what we do more and more which is really important to our company ethos.

Pros

The software is so clever it is almost too clever. There is so much covered for the construction projects that we don't actually use everything (yet). We have integrated a lot into our day to day working practices and we love instant access to vast quantities of information in one place. It helps track and record so much which is really important. One of the biggest gains for us is that we track changes better and upgrades more and more meaning we are getting paid for what we are doing and we are more accountable but so are our customers and their changing demands. This also helps avoid disputes as often its all in writing clear and concise. we have adapted a lot to our own taste and needs which i another great benefit of the software

Cons

Some of the accounting package link-up can be frustrating and we lost a function recently which was not particularly helpful for us and was driven by other contractors needs who use the software. Generally, it is adaptable and you can feedback these types of things but we felt like bigger contractors have more clout and we are also not in the USA so feel a little isolated and translation sometimes a small issue. There is also a lot of functions and some we have not quite worked out if they fit or even how they fit but again this may be translation and what we do use is more than enough. Training across contractors is also quite a mission and still ongoing but we keep going and it pays off.

Great way to track projects

Buildertrend has made us look much more organized than we are, since the customer can see the project progress if they’re tech savvy. We are also able to see cost of project and markups as we do proposals.

Pros

The best aspect of Buildertrend, would have to be the daily logs and customer ability to follow their daily project progress. Time tracking for employees, lead tracking, customer tracking, ability to sign projects electronically, receive payment online with minimal fees, and communicate with everyone involved with each project.

Cons

Buildertrend is a bit convoluted and cumbersome for the small company like myself. Being out on the job physically working to make ends meet due to employee shortages, leaves me with little time for office work. When I do have time for office work, I struggle to find the time needed to enter enough information in BT, to get back what we are paying for it. The more we enter the more we benefit. BT was difficult to learn in some areas of the program, and upgrades sometimes require even more training. We struggle with scheduling, and getting project information to show up on quickbooks.

Dave, we appreciate you taking the time to give us a review and feedback! Continue to lean on your Buildertrend Coach and our Customer Success team for any help they can provide you.

Robust program-needs refined

The schedule keeps jobs on track. The PO process keeps costs in check. The time card keeps man hours job costed.

Pros

It provides a solution for managing a construction company

Cons

although the program performs many tasks, and even more than we need, it is glitchy and does not provide a smooth experience. When we click on windows to update budgets for instance, the windows flash and reload and resize multiple times. I have tried different browsers and different devices. This is not a user problem, but a problem with the way the data is served up. To perform some routine tasks,...

I have used Buildertrend for almost 3 years now and I have appreciated having it.

Pros

I like how easy BuilderTrend is to navigate and use. The system is definitely more user friendly than any other platforms I have used in the past. I also like how visually appealing it is, rather than only focusing on functionality, creators also focused on it being nice to look at every day, which truly does make a difference when working in the same program for hours every day.

Cons

The quickbooks connection to desktop is very very clunky and can can and has caused major issues for us in the past. In terms of accounting, there are somethings that could be better. I would like to be able to see what has been sent over vs. what has actually been paid out to a sub, so the builder can tell without having to ask the accounting department whether or not someone has actually been paid,...

There are a lot of kinks that need worked out

Job costing has been more accurate than using spreadsheets (As long as people bring me receipts and clock in to the correct job, which has been a challenge). Customer communication has improved, and thus, customer satisfaction has improved.

Pros

I like the sense of security it provides to our customers since they can log in and see how their job is doing.

Cons

It does everything, but it doesn't do everything WELL. For instance, it does time tracking and GPS tracking.... but it only tells us where our guys are when they clock in and out. It doesn't give us a map of where they went the whole time like T-sheets did, so we have no way of knowing if someone went to the job site, clocked in and then left. It sync's to Quickbooks for payroll, but not correctly....

Great Organizational tool !

I love being able to track all purchases and labor against the original proposal. It allows you to learn where you are making money, and where you are losing, so you can adjust from one project to the next. In this way, you can fine tune pricing to be as competitive as possible in the marketplace.

Pros

I like the level of customization available in the software, it allows me to detail my proposals, and make them look the way I want, so they stand out from the competition. Also love the financials feature, and the schedule, so the client always knows what the project balance is, and what is happening next.

Cons

To fully utilize the software, there is a lot of data to be entered and updated regularly on a large project, which can take a fair bit of time.