Higher Logic Reviews

Higher Logic

Review Summary

Kelly F.

Bryan T.

There are a lot of great features available with the online community depending on what package you have. You are able to use it for forum style discussions as well as share and save documents.

Michelle L.

Cons

Prior we used listservs which was very annoying to most. We have enhance the conversations within our movement, they can search previous questions, and provided a platform to do so.

Nicole W.

Brandon C.

Kendall J.

4.4

HL Community Platform engages members and aids committee work

HL community allows our members to engage each other across the country - and across generations (we've actually had posts from members in their 80s and 90s - so you know the ease of use is there!) HL community also allows us better communications and project organization. (the competing product we use in this is Board BookIt.)

Pros

Ease of use for Open Forum communications is great We have used extensively in our governance and it really organized and standardized our committee work. Ability to integrate with Abila product Abiilty to aid our chapters

Cons

I wish the libraries were easier to use - like Windows Explorer (does that show I'm old and not yet used to Sharepoint?) Wish you could duplicate "events" in the calendar like committee meetings. Wish the libraries were like google docs/share point and could be worked on collaboratively.

Rethinking our entire structure

I learned I have no unique questions! But the great news is that the community really comes together to share their experiences and answers. Every question I've had I found answers on HUG.

Pros

I love how easily configurable this platform is and how extensively I am able to customize our brand through customization. We chose to integrate directly using activity sync and I am excited to see how these two products are able to work in tandem to drive behaviors and engagement.

Cons

Lack of localization. As a global organization of 1.2 million members in over 180 countries, we support multiple languages (including English, Italian, Spanish, Korean, French, Portuguese, Japanese, Swedish). No being able to provide the platform in multiple languages gates off members that we would otherwise like to engage.

Growing Pains to the Max

Frustrating and time-consuming. It's already a lot of work to strategize, evangelize, build these programs from scratch, and recruit members; the last stress one needs is the hurdle of getting the platform to work the way it should and getting the resources one needs to fix issues.

Pros

The fact that it is a tool that can help me run an advocacy program.

Cons

There have been lots of bugs that I have caught and have had to escalate to the Higher Logic support team. I just keep finding them and I can't launch my program because of it. Bugs have also negatively impacted my customers' experience in the 2nd program I launched. Also, the support team is not one person who knows my platform, goals, and agenda when I need assistance/have a problem, but it's multiple...

#1 for a reason

The addition of the HL community has been a great service and value to our members. Pros definitely outweigh the cons.

Pros

It shows that they use their longevity and experience to improve their products based on user and client feedback.

Cons

As a single product user, it sometimes feels as if our needs are not as urgent (bug fixes, improvements).

Gets the right information to the right people at the right time.

It's been good since going live with our users. The implementation was shaky, but we got through it together with the Higher Logic team. Now that we're live, I can't imagine using our old system, or anything else. It does what we need to keep our customers engaged, connected and knowledgeable.

Pros

We've been live about a year and our staff and customers love the Qualifacts Community powered by Higher Logic. The system is head and shoulders above our previous system. We have created communities by user persona and state. It's our central documentation and resource site. Customers are engaged, and have started doing a lot of self-support.

Cons

The CMS is capable, but quirky. I still get confused trying to arrange content blocks and creating content. The email/automation rule process isn't well designed for sending one-off messages, or even recurring, but unscheduled messages like system status updats.

Great Member Engagement

Our members and staff both love our new community. We went from a listserv type of system that didn't have great archive capabilities to Higher logic and now we have awesome archives, tagging and increased member engagement. The automation have also made staff's job a lot easier. It isn't quite set it and forget it but its close. We don't have to specifically go back and add members, this is just done through automations.

Pros

The ability to have a history of the topics members have discussed that is easily searchable and organizable with tags.

Cons

We had a few hic ups when we switched integrations to a new AMS system but we contacted our customer service manager and she worked it out and got things running again.

Higher Logic is a great tool for reaching out to our members

My overall experience with higher logic online community has been fantastic and I'm looking forward to the new "face-lift" that is coming for admins of the community.

Pros

I like the ease of being able to use the community as both an admin and user. It is very user-friendly and integrates well with our customer management software.

Cons

Although it integrates well with our CMS, I'll give this product 5 stars once the document features integrate.

Higher Logic community is great for professional associations

It's been great. No major complaints -- just the note about upgrades not being obvious.

Pros

It is adult social media for professionals! Great place for members to share their expertise and ask questions privately, exclusive to an audience of colleagues who understand their issues and concerns.

Cons

The upgrades and how to take advantage of them isn't always obvious.

My Higher Logic ExperienceI

we are engaging members who I think we otherwise would not have engage. so it's mostly all good!

Pros

I like the fact that HL takes care of all the set up/details/ tech and we have a product that we can customize to match our look and feel

Cons

some limitations in the implementation/set up that we worked around.

Informz

Overall, the product is fantastic and I know Higher Logic will continue to enhance the products in the future.

Pros

Ease of use, many features, ability to create personas and enhance engagement with members through analyitics

Cons

Prefer more creation options for email marketing.

Excellent tool for member retention

Pros

We've been using Higher Logic's online community software for a few years now and have been very happy with our results so far. Our members took to the forum pretty quickly and we now have a fairly active community. We've also created additional forums for our monthly journal and have allowed members to create specialty groups as well. This increased engagement with our members has definitely helped out with our member retention.

Cons

There's a bit of a learning curve when you first start using the software, especially when setting up the automation. Their support is pretty good though so don't be afraid to reach out when you get confused.

Online Community User

Overall, my experience has been good. Our sales rep has been very attentive to our needs and patient while we make our decision.

Pros

This software is so easy to use. It is feature rich and offers multiple modules that suit our association needs. So far, the customer service has been extremely good. Our website partner vetted other online communities for us and felt Higher Logic is the best solution for our membership. As I said, they are feature rich and the reporting is excellent.

Cons

The implantation time is longer than I expected. However, I understand the need to take time to get it implemented to suit our needs and so we don't have to redo the install again.

Easy platform to adapt to for staff and members

It has been a really great experience and the Higher Logic team is awesome!

Pros

I prefer this software because members need something that is convenient and enables them to talk to each other without the hassle. This gives them a place to talk, share documents, have private conversations, etc. As a community manager, I can maintain the back-end without interruption to their natural dialogue.

Cons

I customized the design because I needed it to be "pretty." I think if it were easier to make it a bit more natural to websites within the tool, that would be the only change I would make at the moment.

Amazing tool for member engagement

Pros

Our organization uses higher logic for many things. The fact that you can manage an online forum and see so many members engage with each other is amazing. We also use higher logic to manage our volunteer application process. It keeps it very organized with all the deadlines and applications and sending out emails approving/declining members. There are so many different functions you can utilize with Higher Logic and there is still so much more for us to learn. Their customer service is great and the ticket process is very simple and you typically hear back within an hour or so from customer service.

Cons

You really have to learn the back end of higher logic to make changes which can be very confusing. That is really my only complaint which I can't even complain about- you just have to adjust and learn how the system works because their are so many options.

Best Support in the Software World

We came to Higher Logic 8 years ago and have been a loyal customer ever since. We have recently added the Informz product to our services for our members and the integration with our community site and AMS was seamless mostly due to Higher Logic's support team.

Pros

Set up and ease of use are amazing. Higher Logic Support stays with you from integration through your entire life cycle of the software. You never feel like you have been left on your own.

Cons

Need a few more levels on the admin side. there are community admins but they should have the ability to impersonate members in order to assist them.

Higher Logic Community Management

I enjoy HUG quite a lot. I think it leads by example and is easy to use.

Pros

The Higher Logic platform allows for members to communicate with each other in a safe place, removing the middle man. My company, prior, had been tasked with being the middle man. Our members would contact us with queries, we would have to make the appropriate questions. HL helps to remove us as an extra step in THAT process, allowing us to focus on other matters.

Cons

There are times when I wish HL had some more plug/play style technology. The ability to drag and drop entries, personalize a homepage, etc. I have been in my current position for only 6 months so a lack of familiarity with the product is part of the issue; but is seems that some of these features arein the works as we speak (per the opening sessions).

Online Community Product

Pros

I have worked with three organization that used the Online Community platform and the major benefit in recent years is how HL supports the organization from start to finish and continues support ongoingly. My first organization did not have that level of support during launch, but HL recognized organizations needed that support and they responded to that need. Now I feel between the HL staff and HUG, you can really conquer any problem you encounter as an admin.

Cons

More recently we're experienced some problems with regard to the volunteer opportunities module and sending opportunities. I know changes are coming down the pike that may improve this activity.

Great product, but could use more guidance and project management during implementation

I have not utilized HUG as much as I should because on my team, I am the person who does importing of spreadsheets, and have not had enough time to engage with our members on the platform as much as i would like. But once I am able, I think I will definitely start to utilize HUG

Pros

I like how user-friendly the HL Community is, and all of the features that can be used.

Cons

The implementation process was very rocky, but I believe our project manager was new. I found that we had to do our internal project management and really had to ask the right questions to the HL representative to understand the process. We are a non-profit that is not very good with technology, but our PM operated with us as if we were. She was responsive when we told her we need further explanation or things didn't make sense. Also, does not work so well in any browser except for Google Chrome

Online Communities Was A Win

Pros

Launching online communities through Higher Logic has been a great decision for our organization. It has allowed our members big and small to engage with their peers. It has been well received.

Cons

Our least favorite thing about Higher Logic is the customer support process. When we signed on it was a very personal experience. It has since become a bit sterile.

Everything we need in one place

We moved to Higher Logic to host our website as well as our online community for an education association. The transition to the new website and community was seamless from our members' perspective! They found using Higher Logic's community functionality to be very user friendly and we have a very active online community. Integrating the community tools into the CMS also gives us some great ways to highlight the community on our website.

Pros

The ability to integrate the CMS, email automation and online community.

Cons

Resource library tool has an outdated look and feel and has limited functionality.

More Learning

Overall, I learn more daily. i am still trying to get buy-in from my association, but I am fighting for HL because I believe it is capable of so much more.

Pros

I like how easy it is to learn how to use the product. I love how information is easy to find.

Cons

I think training for community managers should be longer. After 2.5 years of being on the platform, I am just learning things I need to know. However, since being CM, there is so much I need to know and I wish i would have gotten all of this information prior to be becoming the CM.

The best out there

I've had an overall great experience with Higher Logic. The on-boarding process was great and very personalized. Recent customer support has been a bit rough, but the product is definitely the best out there.

Pros

I love the integrations with our AMS and LMS. Unlimited flexibility with design.

Cons

The library is a bit outdated, but apparently there are plans to improve it.

Higher Logic is a misnomer

The main problem I have is the lack of intent to update the platform to be more competitive with others on the market, this product is marketed as an enterprise solution but misses the mark by a long shot with out of date UI, lack of features and unwillingness to change. The only redeeming factor is its simplicity and gentle learning curve, not ideal for an Enterprise solution, but would work fine for small business.

Pros

On the plus side of things, the software is fairly intuitive and only takes a little time to figure out the basics of. It really isn't too difficult to get started with it or show someone how to use it. We mainly use Informz from Higher Logic, and use to send our retail oriented emails. It's easy to set up test groups, and do some basic targeted emails.

Cons

The software is extremely unreliable, half of the time you get server errors or the whole platform is down. There is also very little customization built into the platform. There is no way to modify your CSS or integrate other features into creating emails such as branded fonts and visually interactive elements. As someone who builds the emails I want to be able to have my emails be on brand with other marketing and promotional materials, this is hard to achieve without sacrificing legibility and flexibility on this platform.

Constantly Improving - So much more coming

After I attending conference, I will make sure to be more involved in the HUG communities. I realized that I am missing out on so much content.

Pros

I love the ability the system gives us to connect members, provide them with resources and actually reach all of the members using the system all at once.

Cons

It is difficult to make changes and its not very intuitive. I am excited for the changes being made to the admin section, I hope these updates make it easier to changes and access different features.

Would appreciate more features without add on costs.

LOVE HUG!!!! Great members who always help each other out.

Pros

Love the ease for the end user (or members) If the pages/platform are designed correctly by admin/staff they love this connection to their peers.

Cons

admin interface...its clunky and somewhat confusing. The reports are hard to come out with a final combined report