Clio Reviews

User ratings

4.7

1.1K
  • Likelihood to recommend9.3/10

See full reviews by rating

Pros

Cons

Overall, the best time and billing software out there. I have demo'd several and Clio was the clear winner.

ED

Edward D.

Great support and excellent cloud-based option at a very reasonable price. Glad to see regular improvements and updates, taking user feedback into account.

WS

Will S.

Great experience, great customer service, easy navigation and the best thing is that Clio keeps working to improve the platform and make it more helpful for us.

DY

Desislava Y.

LH

Lindsay H.

This is especially clear in light of its competition, Abacus or AbacusNext or AbacusLaw or whatever other evil derivative product they put out there which is all horrible in my experience.

JT

Joseph T.

My client started having trouble uploading her documents to me. Assignments went missing, and so deadlines were missed.

JM

Director

Legal Services, 1-10 employees

Found the Software I’ve always wanted

Transcript

Frank: My name is Frank. I'm a paralegal and a law student looking to upgrade my license to a lawyer....

The best option for our firm

Transcript

Josh: My name is Josh, I'm a Founder of a Law Firm in the Legal Industry, and we rate Clio five stars...

Fantastic Practice Management Solution

Pros

Clio's intuitive design is easy to use for anyone from the tech savy to the "how do I turn this thing on" person. They are constantly adding features and functionality to the software solution making the administrative side of practicing law much easier and less time consuming. Clio's support team is always quick to respond and is always friendly and helpful. The growing list of integrations is definite plus and gives us the ability to extend the already great functionality to the next level. And if you are into coding, you can always create a custom integration to suit your needs.

Cons

Really the only complaint I have about Clio is the reporting capabilities. While it has some great canned reports within the interface, there is no ability to customize reports to massage out information that would be useful to my practice. We make do, of course, but this has been my complaint for some time now. Last time I checked there was a pay integration that allowed for more robust reporting but adding yet another subscription isn't appealing when it would be relatively easy for Clio to add this capability to their platform.

A great billing software for my increasingly virtual legal practice

Good software! I find it an indispensable part of my practice these days.

Pros

Our firm had used Timeslips for timekeeping and billing in the past before switching to Clio a few years ago. Timeslips was simply outdated and cumbersome, not to mention that we had no tech support. After having switched to using Clio, I was able to use the software to email clients directly and have the emails come from our firm email account via Clio without always having to involve the office manager for billing my invoices. If the clients have questions, they will know to direct their questions to the office manager, who is otherwise in charge of general accounting matters. Additionally, I love that I can always reach out to Clio's tech support for answers as to user issues or questions, and the services have always been pretty prompt and spot-on.

Cons

I remember there were some data migration issues when we transitioned from Timeslips to Clio. It has been a while, but I recall that at least some of the client data like their addresses didn't look quite right when it was pulled over, and I basically had to start over with entering the information in Clio.

Dear [SENSITIVE CONTENT]....where are the basic reporting functions necessary to invoice clients?

Pros

Cloud based technology. Ease of use to input slips. But if you cant get the data put in out to clients timely it defeats the purpose of attempting to collect revenue.

Cons

Reporting functions lack crucial data located in system. No aged work in progress report available. No representative available to support individual firm business inquiries. Firms submitting Ledes files should consider alternative software.

Excellent Tool for a Solo/Small Law Office

Clio has allowed me to manage my practice, meet deadlines, and track and grow my billing. It's been a very positive addition to my practice.

Pros

Monthly client billing is fast and easy - one or two hours and I'm done, even when billing . I love being able to email a pdf bill right from the program. Task scheduling has moved my to-do list out of my email and onto Clio; the task reminders are a big help.

Cons

There are opportunities for improvement in all software, and that is the case with Clio as well. The available reports don't always meet my specific needs but I have found workarounds to get the information I need.

Get Paid Faster

We are so much more organized and we get paid way quicker. We have developed systems and processes with Clio for a good work flow."

Pros

Cons

There are a lot of features, it's not always intuitive to know how to do certain things.

Excellent Tech Support

I recently had a tech support need. After the issue couldn’t be quickly resolved over chat, I was in the phone with a tech support person who stayed on the phone with me until all functionalities were syncing and working.

Pros

Clio Grow (my CRM) and Clio Manage (through which I track my time and invoice clients and receive payments) are highly integrated making it easy for customers to schedule initial consultations, send proposals, and electronically sign engagement letters. So onboarding is a breeze. Once a client, Clio Manage helps me track and bill. It also easily integrates with QuickBooks. I’m very satisfied with this product.

Cons

Wish Clio Grow and Manage were integrated into one unified platform.

Transformation of the Century

Clio has extremely helped our firm with various ways. The Clio Manage portion we use every single day, it helps keep our firm in order by the activities, tasks, notes, and being able to share the file with the clients through the portal. I truly can not express enough positive words about Clio, and how it has transformed our firm.

Pros

Our favorite features and what we love the most of Clio is the bills, notes, integrations, and calendaring features. Truthfully, there is not a feature that Clio Manage offers that our office does not use on a daily basis. Additionally, the option to integrate other apps with clio have been extremely helpful. Case management, billing, and tasks are easy to manage, keep track of, and be aware of upcoming deadlines that are approaching. Lastly, the support staff with Clio is always friendly, proactive, and responsive. If we are ever experiencing a problem with Clio, their support team helps immediately to resolve the issue.

Cons

There truly is not a feature in clio that I like the least. Thank you!

Great tool for law firms

Pros

Great tool to manage a law firm, docketing, and invoices

Cons

A little expensive and have to upgrade to get all the needed functionality

Clio Support is Fantastic

Pros

Clio integrates with QBO and has few issues once set up. As I only use Clio as a contract bookkeeper and am not familiar with the everyday use of it I appreciate the Clio Customer Service team. They are patient and help me resolve my questions and issues as they relate to the connection to the accounting software.

Cons

The errors that come from synching issues with the accounting software are not always straight forward to fix and a call is needed to customer service for assistance.

My goal tracker.

Pros

Mostly use it to keep track of big goals. Able to see milestones.

Cons

The integration and the learning curve took a little bit.

Cleo will solve all your law firm problems

My overall experience with Cleo has been fantastic and has changed how I do my daily job for the better. It has made life at work much easier and less stressful. It has allowed me to free up time that's better spent on creating documents forming businesses etc.

Pros

I loved Cleo from the moment a representative gave us an overview of the software and what it had to offer. After that demonstration I couldn't wait to try the software. I love that Cleo allows you to customize the program to your specific law firms needs. There is an enormous amount of ability to customize clients billing and matters. I've never found a software like this one before nor one that allows...

Cons

The only thing I found so far that I'm not fond of with the software is the flat rate billing. Our Law Firm wants to keep track of the time spent on a case even if it's for flat fee. I'm still trying to find a way to best show this on an invoice and after researching Cleo help section they don't seem to have a real clear method of doing it.

Satisfied Clio user for 5+ years, recently purchased for additional firm

I am very satisfied with Clio as an online time management option. If you want/need to be 100% in-the-cloud, I would choose and recommend this program most highly to other firms. I prefer it to Bill4Time, CosmoLex, TimeSlips (not online). It also has things I like better than Prolaw (which also is not online). I don't use many of the advanced features Clio offers like integrations, Clio payments or even calendar, tasks because of the way may firms are set up. So, I can't speak to those features.

Pros

I like Clio's simplicity and intuitiveness best. It really is the easiest time management program I have used. If you want to get up and running, like, literally, now, you can purchase Clio online with a push of a button and have open matters and clients/contact in minutes. I originally chose this product 5+ years ago for a small firm I manage, after looking at most of the online time management products...

Cons

Only 1. I haven't mastered LEDES ebililng on Clio yet. At one of my firms, we do only LEDES98 ebilling. If you don't know what this is, stop reading, you will not experience this minor Con. I am having trouble perfecting the LEDES98 txt files and uploading them. Granted, this is my first month of e-billing on Clio at this firm, so I'm sure customer service will correct it for me. It's just that a few other time management programs I have used had no LEDES glitches and uploaded perfectly the first time. The price is also high for small firms. But all online billing programs are.

Great software and user friendly!

My overall experience has been great! They are always making sure to take the next step in integrations and constantly keep their software up to date and secure.

Pros

I liked how the IT team literally walked me through the entire set-up/integration. To be 100% honest, they recovered & transferred my crashed billing entries from Timeslips into their system. There are so many positives re: Clio software that I cannot pick what I like most; however, the Quick Bill & Payment Plan features are very convenient. Oh, I can't write a review and not mention the LawPay integration. That is also a great feature!

Cons

I hate when I am asked for instructions on setting up their client portal because I have no instructions to give them. I wish Clio had a .pdf that I could hand to every new client. I also wish there were more options re: billing history printouts for the Court. This is VERY important when asking for ATTY fees.

Split personality software - two steps for the function of one

Clio allow you to generate bills - take payments online - and has a rudimentary accounting system.

Pros

Clio is quite robust with many functions geared for law offices. Much of the thrust is for multiple lawyer offices ( which makes sense) and some also work for solo firms (my office is a solo office). There is a forms component which is poorly integrated with Clio. It does allow you to create an online fillable form - but the steps to have that information fed into your database for the practice is cumbersome and not intuitive. Yo are using two independent programs - which is unlike both Practicve Panther and My Case. In the other two the feed into the database is direct - no two programs - no multiple steps to move rom one database to another.

Cons

As mentioned, the multiple step s needed to use the forms - and the cost for that portion of the platform - make this a terrible choice. If you want to use forms as questionares and to populate your database - and update the database - by client input - this is definitely NOT the platform to use.

clio law DATA management

Support easy super good. Clio fixed problems with non english characters in days, Timemattes did not fix it in 20 years we have been complaining. Clio has extremely good search features and all sorts of filtering. For instance universal search that goes through matters, contacts, events, notes, tasks, time/expenses logs, documents content, doc, names, and communications (emails, sec. mess,...

Pros

For us the program has changed everything in the workflow to the better. In our opinion Clio’s forte is how flexible it is. Every law firm has its own different way of organizing workflow and Clio can accommodate for that, at least our whims and quirks which we have abundant of. The program is like potty in your hand. You mold and sculp the program according to your own special needs in the workflow. The only barrier is your own imagination. You decide how information is inserted, in what order and form and how it is presented. You make your own work procedures. You can organize and make chains of tasks beforehand and set the relevant type of chain of tasks to fit the case you are working on. Then, there and now, the future workflow is decided and set for that case.

Cons

You can not copy matters/cases and clients. It is not easy to move data fram TM to clio. We decided not to to it. Integration between outlook calander and clio calander does not work, it is so slow it is not usable. But the integration between google cal and clio cal is excellent.

Clio, the best all purpose attorney software, bar none...

Outstanding experience with something for everyone just depending on one's level of interest and need.

Pros

Functionality is nearly universal while specially and jusisdiction costomization is great. Easy law firm branding and pre sale marketing is brilliant. Support is outstanding and the Premium Support even better for speedy, live agent help. Cost is reasonable and many available plans on their menu of options. Clio grows nicely with solid feature burstsoften free to it's users. Excellent and often updated/enlarged mobile App across all usual platforms: Appke, Android, Windows... Superior online instant pay clientbinvoucing, and client trust account requests The wide assortment of excellent and Rock solid 3rd party software affiliations is very impresdive.

Cons

I was fortunate to have free help migrating my existing, Timeslips database compiled over many years but it ain't quite so free today...Also, I'm still not a fan of the communications tools for clients and othes not subscribed to Clio.

Security is lacking for the accounting side. Otherwise it's a very good software.

We have been with Clio since about the middle of October 2019 (today is April 3, 2020) and we are mostly pleased. I think that most case management software works on the same theory: a contact (person or enterprise) can have several different matters (cases). Like most users, we just want it to work and it does (with the exception of the accounting problem described above). Clio has so many helpful features and integrations that it could take a year or two just to get a small to medium-size office up to speed with using all the features. However, UNTIL CLIO FIXES THE ACCOUNTING SECURITY PROBLEM, DO NOT SWITCH FROM YOUR CURRENT PROGRAM.

Pros

-It has very robust features and integrations. - I love that the document repository is built-in and built into the price. - Tech support is good via chat, so I can resolve issues quickly. -Because it's the leading player in cloud-based case management, it seems like integrations are more numerous. -Only on rare occasions have I seen the software go off-line or slow down. -The outlook and word integrations are robust. -It's easy to find experts who work with Clio because it's such a significant player. We are now setting up operations with a Clio expert bookkeeper. We could not do that when we used a competitor program called PracticePanther.

Cons

1. EMBEZZLERS PARADISE. Clio's accounting security settings allow anyone who can make a receipt for receiving a payment also to be able to EDIT that payment afterward. So, a dishonest employee could make a receipt for $500 cash, pocket $300, and then go back and edit that receipt to be only $200. Right now are using carbon copy receipts as a workaround, but that's not very professional or 21st century....

Great functionality and awesome customer service

Clio has allowed us all to access information we need from one place and pull customized reports that allow for better business planning. Honestly, it's one of the most user friendly client database software that I've ever used.

Pros

What I like most about Clio and it's developers is that when there is a feature you believe would be a great enhancement and you suggest it to them, it seems like not long thereafter you have that enhancement.

Cons

I cannot think of anything I don't like, honestly.

Clio has changed my life!

My CFO's timed has been freed up tremendously because we now bill with Clio and she does not have to enter time from all users into a similar computer software. We all can work from anywhere and capture our time with the Clio app! Love it!

Pros

I love the functionality of Clio, and how we can manage time for each user on multiple devices. I not longer have to keep up with my start time for a task, my completion time, the calculation with what portion of an hour was teh time, or completing timesheets for a billing professional to then enter into a software to generate client invoices. Additionally, the billing process has been simplied and can be run from any computer. Further, the ability to keep up with each staff member's productivity is AWESOME! Clio has definitely changed my legal life!

Cons

Getting acclimated was sort of difficult because my rep was new at the time. The regular support team helped us with the remaining onboarding.

Why I find a Clio essential

Terrific.

Pros

Why I find a Clio essential Is as a sole proprietor of a small business, Clio operates as my check and balance. The small law firm I was at prior to going on my own used Clio and while I do not use all the features because I do mostly appointed work, the features I do use are essential on assuring me I am on top of my game 99.44% of the time.

Cons

As a very busy person, what I like least about Clio is it operates as a reminder to me that I could probably do a lot more if I ever took the day or two to get all the educated on how to do some of the things I do in a rather long handled manner. I am 60 years old and have been a lawyer for 33 years. I recommend Clio to many of the young lawyers I know just starting out or only a few years in the...

Best Decision I made was to make the switch

Easier to manage all aspects of a case with CLIO

Pros

Easy to use, customer support is awesome, helpful tutorial videos and great client experience. I have received multiple compliments on the style and ease of paying on-line.

Cons

It was not syncing with QuickBooks when posting to CLIO but that may have been addressed recently. I need to check with my bookkeeper.

The Future of Cloud Computing in the Legal Industry

Clio has been really helpful organizing a small solo practice and getting that attorney up and running, and then expanding their practice accordingly. It's a great, central location for file management, and being able to use Quickbooks and Clio for billing is spectacular. Clio's client support is stellar, and that is worth a LOT when it comes to case management. Overall, Clio is an excellent choice, and even with my complaints, I do believe it is the standard for the future.

Pros

I really do believe that Clio is the future of legal cloud computing and practice/file management. It's a functional piece of software that allows attorneys and legal staff to manage cases with ease. There are a few things that I find to be useful with Clio: 1. Clio integrates with tons of other software options, including Grow (a CRM management tool). Keeping things "in the family" is really useful...

Cons

I do have a few gripes about Clio. If these were addressed, it would get a 5-star rating from me: 1. Mouseclicks. Clio requires so. many. mouseclicks. It is infuriating at times. I realize this sounds stupid, but over time, they add up. I am a huge fan of efficiency, and Clio is one of the most inefficient programs I've used. 2. Workflows. I really enjoy using workflows to track various projects....

A good product, getting better all the time

My overall experience with CLIO has been very positive. Having a system that tracks my cases, especially my time management, has been essential. While I don't love the algorithm used in the metrics, as opposed to just showing me what I have done and earned in whole minutes and dollars, having those metrics lets me see how close I am to meeting my goals. And the billing software is incredible and...

Pros

CLIO does all of the basic things that a lawyer needs a case management software system to do - keeps track of clients, cases, related persons, keeps a calendar of events, even does billing in all the ways a lawyer bills a client. I especially like the document generation software, which allows our firm to efficiently create a large number of similar documents, motions, and other pleadings for our cases. Finally, I appreciate CLIO's ability to customize fields for contacts and matters.

Cons

CLIO is missing some things that I took for granted in other software, the biggest being warning the user when a scheduling conflict occurs on the calendar. For a busy litigation practice that spans several counties in my state, having a automatic conflict warning when I am scheduling would be extremely helpful in ensuring I am never double-booked. One of the things I hope CLIO will consider improving...

Best feature set available

Very positive; I love the software.

Pros

Clio integrates with so much other software to make your life easier that is just can't be beat. Saving emails via Outlook, generating document templates, collecting e-signatures on engagement agreements—whatever you need, Clio has it. I can also run billing, monitor bill payments, and overall run the entire law firm with minimal effort, minimal time commitment, and with confidence that everything is running smoothly.

Cons

There are some smaller points that can drive you insane. For example, you cannot customize the look of the emails that go out when you share matters, bill, etc. with your clients. If you—like me—transition from a solo practitioner to running a small law firm, you will eventually need to open new bank accounts. Clio will not let you eliminate the old bank accounts and start from scratch. You can't even force the old bank accounts to be otherwise "invisible" to the system so that you cannot accidentally record money moving into a defunct account. This is a minor complaint, but man does it drive me insane. I also still want to see a task assignment that allows me to set a supervisor for each assigned task.

Clio's billing system

Overall, our experience with Clio's billing system has been positive - everyone likes the time entry. We are glad we went to Clio, its so much better than that other program we had been using.

Pros

We got Clio specifically for its billing program. Its great that everyone can enter their own time into Clio. I like how Clio does “macros” [they call them “text snippets”]. They work without having to use a code key. The software is easy to use – for someone like me who is not a bookkeeper and hasn’t done a lot of billing before, it takes a little while to learn how to use it correctly, but once...

Cons

Spell checking in the billing software is not what it could be – it does have the little red underlines if it thinks something is misspelled [like Word], which apparently is easy for some people to ignore. It would be better if Clio had its own dictionary and didn’t depend on the one in the browser. In order to do spell checks, we have to: export the time to a CSV file, spread out the column for...