SimplePractice Reviews

4.61/5 (1,622 reviews)

Nadirah Muhammad

Now that I experineced it for myself-Telehealth (Therapy) Not as scary and awakard it sounded!

Reviewed 2018-11-28

First, I am still learning the software, yet from my experience, I believe I will keep it. I am not shopping around for another one. The support is helpful, daily update and reminders that help keep me organized. At some time, I will add the calendar to my website. For now, the software lives up to it name in that it is a simple practice. When I rented office space, I had to be there to meet my client and some would cancel at the last moment. Now, I set the reminders, phone, email, text... and if I client doesn't show, after I have braved the traffic and rushed across town to get to the office, sitting and waiting and wondering if the client will show, I don't feel that I wasted time, gas and frustrated because the client did not call to cancel hours or days before. I really like my online office. I thought it would feel distant and cold...so far, the online face-to-face still feel personal. I also like that the system meet HIPPA and my state requirements. I like the ease of scheduling appointments without having to complete lots of training of how to do so. I appreciate the stripe credit card system that is built into the software as this was one concern I had of accepting payments from client. I like the video conferencing and the fact that live training is offered and I actually get to see the people behind the scene as opposed to email. My inquiry to customer support turn around time was a reasonable and issue resolved. I love the fact the I can send a client a paid invoice immediately, after accepting credit card payment over the phone...thank goodness less paperwork. I really love all of the forms clients need to complete are available...ease of writing progress notes, etc...

Anonymous

Still learning, but loving it!

Reviewed 2018-09-17

It is obvious that a great deal of thoughtful consideration has gone into the development of this software. While there elements that I would like to see incorporated as a matter of convenience, there are absolutely no deal breakers here! I do have much to learn, but I feel confident that I made the choice for my private practice. Try the free month ~ be impressed! It's only fair to say that I still have many things to learn! I've not experienced the insurance side of things yet, and that's a beast all its own. That said... I find the online "How To" articles helpful and easy to follow. The videos are also helpful most of the time. I have not attempted to reach a person by phone, however, mostly b/c I've not needed to (yet). Being cloud based was an absolute must. Love the intuitive and attractive visual interface! The Client Portal has been easy to incorporate into the company website, and clients find it easy to use. I like being able to initiate the intake process immediately with a client who requests an appointment. Super like the reminders that help me keep up with what needs to be completed. It has also been helpful to receive an email of my agenda for the day. Having the flexibility to modify forms or create my own is awesome! It took me some time to understand how, but I got it.

Lisa Valentine

Overall, a well-designed and easy-to-use EMR

Reviewed 2018-07-24

This software keeps me organized, allows me to keep my patient information secure, integrates scheduling/billing/documentation in one place, and offers an app that is well coordinated with the full desktop experience.The design of the software is clean and intuitive, not just the portion experienced by clinicians but also the patient/client portal. I found it easy to create my own templates and appreciate the ability to import the prior note to edit it for each session rather than having to start anew each time I meet with someone. Scheduling both by desktop and by app are very easy to use, allowing to set up repeat appointments. I appreciate the ease of generating superbills and invoices, changing charges and correcting them, and the option of manual inputs of payment if you choose not to use the integrated credit card payment system (Stripe). I really appreciate the option of "privacy mode" so that patient's full names are not displayed on my calendar. The 30-day trial was very helpful for ensuring that I was getting what I hoped I was and it was nice to be able to try both the essential and the professional features to figure out which plan made more sense for my practice.

Ariel Witt

Satisfied Chiropractor & Acupuncturist

Reviewed 2018-02-28

Lots of important pros. 1) Online scheduling and intake, 2) integrated payment processing and auto-pay, 3) cloud based, 4) competitive pricing, 5) very easy to learn, 6) the team is getting faster (slightly) with updates/improvements, 7) works for chiropractic billing now, 8) free online help articles, and 9) free month trial. We looked into so many options, and Simple Practice was clearly the best in our opinion. We're still happy with our choice; the pros outweigh the cons!

Jill Bromley

I have had on-going insurance enrollment and payer reports since I started with Simple Practice.

Reviewed 2017-11-12

It is simple with respect to face validity. You can navigate around pretty easily without making serious or irreversible mistakes that many of us fear with the technical aspects of EHRs.It works relatively well if you have mostly direct pay clients or accept only a couple of insurances. It also works well if you have very few tech problems, your are pretty "techy" and industry knowledgeable to begin with, and you are ok with short answer email responses to any questions you might have.

William Schroeder

Simple Practice - there is truth in the name

Reviewed 2017-04-14

I have tested out Simple Practice for our group practice and we plan on transitioning to it. It's rare to find a company so well balanced in its direction. The user interface design is well thought out and makes doing otherwise complex procedures simple and straightforward. The documentation and user support is something you would expect from a much larger and more resourced entity. The product development has been very focused and well planned as features are thoughtfully implemented. Some of their competitors seem to decide which features to develop at random. Simple Practice first popped on my radar in 2012 and they had a beautiful interface, a simple iphone app, but they couldn't do much other than notes and calendaring. Oh, how things have changed. They now take payment, and even do autopay on weekly clients. They simply and beautifully execute therapy notes, have a client portal, process insurance claims, have appointment reminders, treatment plans, calendar sync, and you can have clients signup and schedule directly through simple practice. You can even push them assessments to fill out to add to their records. I didn't like how their product shows client credit's and debit's. I will say that it seems like there is a more intuitive way to do this for reconciling accounts. When you first look at it, it will confuse you and I am sure it is something they spend time on with each new customer. This surprises me that they have kept it this way since everything else is so intuitive. The only area I can't speak to is what their reporting looks like. Theranest has a feature I like in their reporting as it shows you by clinician and referral source, who has sent you the most business the stick rate, and things like this. Personally, I would love to be able to see more granular data to know what each clinician is best with matching intakes with treatment outcomes and being able to see each clinician's number of clients who are active and their insurance to private pay ratios. If I were to extend my wishlist, I would like some limited CRM features as well to help with new client inquiries. All of that said, Simple Practice is the Tesla of therapist EMR's. They are pioneering the field and they know it. I recommend them to all clinicians.Features, product speed of development, user interface design, ease of implementation.

Susan Li

Great EHR after set-up and consistently EXCEPTIONAL customer support

Reviewed 2018-10-14

I found SimplePractice somewhat frustrating in the beginning as I familiarized myself with their software and set up connections with insurance payers. I so desperately wanted SimplePractice to have a customer support phone number I could call at my convenience to answer a variety of questions. However, I have gotten use to their support system via email and love that I have been able to work with the same person with most of my questions. I eventually found value in the email support system as the conversations were tracked and included so I did not have to re-explain the issues. Overall, I'd say that SimplePractice has worked very well for me after the set-up process and I find their customer support department to be very professional and courteous and extremely patient. I like the patient portal that allowed me to easily send patients paperwork to complete before their initial sessions, saving me time and money. I also find great value in the patient appointment reminders to cut down on no shows. The EHR is great for customizing my practice from how appointments can be scheduled to designing forms and progress note templates. The program also keeps track of sessions that needs to be billed and which claims were paid. Great features!

Heather Lussier

Efficient, intuitive, and oh-so-supportive.

Reviewed 2016-07-13

I will be the first to admit that the administrative side of running a psychtherapy office isn't what nourishes me most - it's the relationships with my clients and colleagues that sustain and inspire me. That said, I realize that the administrative aspect of my business is central to building a successful practice so that I can continue to do the work that I love. Finding a practice management system that is effective and intuitive, and built for mental health therapists, has been a game changer. I knew I would find the right system, eventually. SimplePractice fit the bill. What came as a surprise is the quality of the relationships that I'd build with the customer support professionals at SimplePractice. When getting started, I reached out to customer support about various aspects related to enrollment and billing of Medicare. I had a unique-ish circumstance with my enrollment due to address changes. I had spent a significant amount of time on the phone with Medicare and got as far as I could with them. I reached out to SimplePractice support by email (there's no phone number!) and admittedly, I thought I'd never hear back - that feeling of sending an email out into the universe to float around forever. I had not even registered for SP, yet. Well, I had a response within 1 day. The responder was encouraging, informed, concise and kind (remember I'm all about the relationship). In some ways, I couldn't believe how simple he made it for me, so I clarified with him 2 times! In each rresponse, he remained professional, encouraging, and helpful. It was a dream come true. A technology for therapists that thrive in relationships. A responder that spoke a technology language that I understood. Someone that wanted me to be successful in building my management system. In this age of nameless, faceless interactions, I really felt like "Will" was there to not just answer a question, but to help me be successful in my business. Responsive customer support. Appointment reminders . Client portal for intake paperwork and billing. Nice visual interface. Intuitive. Built in credit card processing. Intake paperwork forms that are built for therapy offices.

Cathy Lynch

Tried a few, decided to keep SimplePractice

Reviewed 2018-03-03

I can now easily log my notes without taking up space in my office (I converted from paper files to SP); I can input my notes much quicker; text reminders for clients!! No more no-call-no-shows!!SP is easy to use and quite intuitive. The customer service agents are simply amazing - always very kind and unlike many from other companies, they actually take the time to read and write personalized replies instead of sending out a cookie-cutter template. I've asked more questions than I care to remember and every single time, I have received a precise answer with clear, detailed explanations. That, in my opinion, makes it all worth it. It has pretty much all the features I need without going over-the-top with bells and whistles, adding unnecessary bloat like another major service provider.

Katie Ziskind MFT

AWESOME investment for my private practice!

Reviewed 2018-04-14

I like the Ehr features, how everything is available on my phone or computer. When I worked at an agency, I used Greenway, another electronic system, so this is simply so perfect for my private practice needs - organization, client info, convenience, customizable email templates/forms, all electronic paperwork. I appreciate the Simple Practice team behind the software! When I had an issue, we scheduled screen sharing to work through it and the team is very prompt with email replies. I love that everything is EASY and convenient, so I don't need any paperwork. I also like how stripe is connected and recurrent auto pay is an option. I am private pay, so it's easy to edit the cost of a client's session depending if they are on a sliding scale. Also, there is a "book online" feature, so I have added this to my website and clients are using it! One of my client's mom's loves booking sessions at 11pm and planning for the week ahead, so the feedback is super positive. Love it!

Will Logan

Overall Helpful Software), as well as

Reviewed 2018-09-28

I'm surprised to love SimplePractice so much! It's been a really great way to take control of and streamline multiple facets of my practice. I switched from paper files to SimplePractice, and as someone who doesn't always enjoy the tech version of things, I'm a surprised fan of SimplePractice. I enjoy the ease of scheduling and the 2-way sync with my Google Calendar, the paperless intake process (which I finally started using a few months in and wish I had been using it from the beginning), and being able to track my income and completed notes. Customer service has also been very friendly thus far.

Melissa Kelly

Life changing, no exaggeration!

Reviewed 2014-12-04

There are many programs out there designed to help keep therapists organized, but this is hands down the best one. For years I have actually avoided buying any of the similar products, because after doing a trial, I found it just easier to use my own system. Other products to me have seemed clunky, confusing, or outdated. As my practice grows, however, keeping track of things on my own had really become too cumbersome. So thank goodness for Simple Practice, it came into my life at just the right moment! It is streamlined, intuitive, and user-friendly. Whenever I have encountered a question, there are quick and easy ways to get the question answered. The site includes a whole blog that has thoughtful answers, written in plain-language. Or if you have a question you can easily email and a person will get right back to you with an answer. I imagine you can also call, though I haven't needed to do that since everything has gone really smoothly! Here are the things I really like: -Clients like it. They like the text or email reminder messages and they like the fact that I can store their credit card info, so no more forgetting co-pays of having to fumble with the wallet or the credit card reader. I just bill all my co-pays at the end of the day, and I'm all set. It's also saved time and money by not having to chase people for missed co-pays. -Easy to enter new patient info, or use the client portal so the patient's can self-enter basic data, and sign forms ahead of time -Helps me remember which notes are done or not -Keeps track of my schedule with the calendar feature that is synced up with the also super user-friendly Simple Practice app -I can scan in hand-written notes right into the patient's chart so everything is paperless I honestly can't think of any negatives or ways they could improve this product. I haven't started billing insurance companies via Simple Practice yet, so I can't speak to that process. It unfortunately takes awhile for Simple Practice to link with insurance, so if they could speed that up, it would be great, I'm just not sure there is much they can do about that since it's partially up to the insurance company. Other than that, I would summarize by saying that Simple Practice is saving me time, money and I feel much less stressed because I know everything is organized.

Dani Myers

Simple Practice Simplified My Practice

Reviewed 2014-10-15

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein I have used and tested a variety of EHRs and appreciate the simplicity of Simple Practice. There are no unnecessary frills and it serves its documentation and practice management purposes well. The user interface is clean, visually appealing, and easy to navigate. Features such as automated client appointment reminders, daily schedule emails, and reminders about incomplete documents and client balances are incredibly helpful...especially for a solo practitioner without costly administrative staff. The company appears to be highly responsive to user suggestions and regularly adds new features. The dashboard reports give me real time access to key business intelligence such as monthly income comparisons and projected income for the next month based on scheduled appointments. It's rare to find an EHR that offers all of these features at an affordable price. Clinicians and organizations usually end up cobbling together non-integrated solutions that just don't play well together in the end. Simple Practice simply works. Perhaps most importantly, the price is fair. There are no exorbitant setup fees. By purchasing a software as a service (SaaS) subscription, you're not paying for servers or clunky software that's outdated by the time you install it. You don't need an IT person to install, maintain, debug, or upgrade anything. If you change your mind, you're free to cancel your monthly subscription without incurring contract penalties. It is highly intuitive so you can skip the usual wordy product documentation, confusing webinars, or expensive onsite trainings. The trial period is more than adequate to become familiar and determine if it's right for you. If you are looking for a highly customizable system, this is not likely the best solution for you. With ongoing development, this might become less of an issue. You are currently limited to pre-defined templates and forms. In our heavily litigious landscape, we tend to go overboard on documentation or end up collecting data because we can. In some ways, I think Simple Practice is saving us from ourselves by keeping it "as simple as possible, but not simpler." If you're in the market for a web-based EHR that's accessible from anywhere, affordable, and easy to use, I recommend exploring Simple Practice.

Brandon Santan

There's a bit of a learning curve, but if you dedicate the time it's worth it.

Reviewed 2018-07-16

EHR for private practiceEverything you need to run a practice is available and very well done. Once you learn your way around it becomes easier to navigate. There are many different options and lots of information in the help section if you need help. It's streamlined for complete (100%) EHR functionality. Smooth integrations for payment. I love the HIPAA compliant messaging in the patient portal and the calendar scheduling options for patients to see your schedule and choose a time without needing to call the office for an appointment. The awesome feature of video sessions without the need to use another company or software.

Ellen Geoffrion, M.A., LPC, R-DMT

New to SimplePractice; Very pleased and would highly recommend

Reviewed 2018-08-31

My experience has been exceptional and I will recommend this software hands-down to anyone who is starting their own practice!SimplePractice has named its business well. I truly feel that it has made my journey as a new private practice owner so simple. I have appreciated the ease of sending clients my paperwork through the client portal feature. I also love the integration of Stripe for credit card processing; with AutoPay I don't have to lift a finger to get paid each evening. Superbills, invoices, and statements are very easy to generate on the spot for clients. The scheduling component also has a clean look. I also really like the automated text reminders to clients. In my first month of business, I've zero no-shows or late cancels. In what could have been a very stressful transition to becoming a new private practice owner, SimplePractice truly eased my mind.

Jenna Fleming

Fantastic! Totally worth every penny

Reviewed 2016-07-07

My experience has been very positive as this software is catered to meet the needs of my private practice as a counselor. It addresses many of the components of running a practice that therapists find daunting. Just for the sheer support in these areas, this software system is worth it. The customer support / help support is a clear stand out. No need to feel intimidated about learning because they offer layers of support- classes, video webinars, articles, daily q & a and I suppose I could call- haven't had the need. Another stand out for me is how it is designed with a private practice therapist in mind, which is fantastic not to have a lot of 'guess work' or having to adjust something else to work for me. Their professionalism in upholding our ethical and legal standards puts me at ease and would be reason alone to give simple practice a look. Also...NO PAPER! That's just fantastic.

Brooke Ibanez

Simple Practice is simple to use, a wonderful way to go paperless from the beginning

Reviewed 2018-10-16

See aboveI recently opened my private practice, and decided that right from the beginning, I would like to have a paperless system for record keeping. Simple Practice came highly recommended from several trusted sources, so I decided to give it a try. I really appreciate that they offer a 30 day free trial, which I just completed (and upgraded to a paid subscription). I am not an organized paperwork person by nature, and I appreciate that Simple Practice keeps all my clients records safely stored in a secure location, where I can access it anytime from anywhere. The client portal is amazing, and helps legitimize my business to clients, as they are able to complete paperwork easily through the portal before our intake appointment. This also saves valuable time during that first appointment, so we don't have to waste time filling out forms and doing busy work, and we are able to jump right in to the issues that have brought them into therapy. I know my clients appreciate this, especially as they are self paid. I love that my calendar is emailed to me each day, I get reminders when progress notes need to be entered, invoicing sessions is a breeze, and sending clients invoices is as easy as the click of a button. Being able to store credit card information, and process payments through Stripe is a great feature that has helped me spend my time doing less paperwork and billing and be able to focus more on my clients and the clinical interventions needed when they come to see me.

Joeleen Wilkinson

I wish I didnt wait so long before giving simple practice a try.

Reviewed 2018-07-24

Making my private practice streamline and saving me time and energy so I can use that energy elsewhere. Simple practice makes form creation so user-friendly, even myself who isn't very tech savvy figured it out. The more I use simple practice the more I uncover quick easy ways to get my needs met. When I am unable to figure something out the help team is so quick and responsive and points me in the right direction so I don't have to spend all of my time searching for the answers. The support I receive from simple practice has been the best experience and I am so thankful to have them. When you are first learning the process they have numerous videos and scheduled classes to get you started which are incredibly helpful. I have taken a look at other EHR systems and they were confusing and were not geared towards therapists, simple practice gave me all the forms necessary for my practice and then i tailored them to fit my individual practice needs.

Pamela Hopkins

Simple Practice is aptly named!

Reviewed 2018-08-23

Overall, I am impressed and very satisfied with our Simple Practice subscription!We have moved from an accounting software, Google Calendar and a person to do the medical billing with Simple Practice. I love the relative ease of the software and the fact that I can have everything in one place. There is great support and documentation for self-help. We are a practice with only one practitioner but we are growing in leaps and bounds! Simple Practice is making our growth so much easier!

Lauren Settle, Christian Counselor

Simple Practice

Reviewed 2018-09-24

I am happy I made the switch to Simple Practice!I really like that it's all-inclusive. Once you get the hang of how the system works it seems as if it really does have all you need in one place. I also like that you can send automatic reminders, run credit cards automatically, etc. I believe this will continue to save me lots of time in the long-run. Which is what I love the most about it! That allows me to spend more time with my kiddo once I am home instead of worrying about doing admin stuff.

brent bradley

I am moving my group practice over from TherapyAppointment.

Reviewed 2018-02-27

It is somewhat intuitive and it looks good, welcoming. I also like having the app for my phone. We like that you can schedule clients for repeating sessions two and three weeks between sessions regularly. The client portal is needed. We really like being able to do our intake packets online, and that we can change them up so easily. Love how when clients fill these out they are seamlessly put into cleint files and this shows in the client info.

M W

Can't believe I didn't do this sooner...

Reviewed 2015-03-30

I am going full-time in my private practice right now, and in this transition process I did a LOT of research about practice management software programs. I narrowed my search down from 9 to a final 4 (Simple Practice, Therapy Notes, Theranest, and Therasoft). What really sold me on Simple Practice were two things: the client intake portal and flexible pricing. The client intake portal is simply incredible! You can use their ready-made forms or customize them to your own individual needs. With only a few clicks you register a client, which sends them a link to fill out the forms online. Then you get an email when they've completed the forms and the information is automatically placed into the client's chart. This includes office policies, HIPPA, agreement for services, full intake questionnaire, and payment/insurance information as well. Amazing! No more printing paper forms, copying insurance cards, or scanning things to upload to the file later. This seriously makes my life so much easier. The flexible pricing is nice because I can have full functionality now, at the basic level, but I can upgrade to process insurance claims once I have more clients coming in through their insurance plans. And now there's also the possibility to upgrade for online scheduling and secure emailing once my practice fills up! I think the online scheduling in particular is going to save me from all the time spent back-and-forth emailing or calling with clients trying to reschedule their appointments. More things I love about Simple Practice: - Easy credit card payment processing. Just a few clicks and the money is deposited directly into my account. No more invoicing or spending session time swiping a card. - Sync with Google Calendar. - Easy scheduling and rescheduling appointments. - Automatic appointment reminders sent to clients, however they wish to receive them (text, email, voicemail) - Auto-populating insurance forms and tracking of claim reimbursement (Admittedly I haven't been able to test this yet, but I'm sure it works just as well as everything else does with this software.) - Great customer service. I emailed about an issue syncing my calendar and I heard back very quickly with a resolution. I really do wish that I had been using this software even when I was only part-time in my practice. It definitely would've been worth the money for the amount of time it saves doing the mundane business tasks of running a therapy practice.

Anyaliese Hancock-Smith, PhD

Simple Practice has been great in helping me to start up my private practice!

Used daily for free trial
Reviewed 2018-07-22

Everything I need to jump start my private practice! I am able to communicate with my patients via the patient portal without difficulty. All documents can be sent and received via the portal, which is amazing! The software is so easy to use and the updates with the software, teaching videos, etc. are excellent tools!It has everything that I need to start my practice. I love it's simple use quality and the fact that I am able to have potential new patients to schedule from my website with booking widget and have existing patients receive all necessary documents via the patient portal. I also love that I can securely communicate with patients via the secure messaging system!

Jonah Lakin

Good product

Reviewed 2018-10-15

Overall, I find Simple Practice to be a time saving, professional and secure option to run a small private practice. I was happy to discover that you could get your consent forms signed through the client portal as this helped transition my practice to a completely paperless operation. It's also really cool how I can upload documents and share them securely with clients. These were additional benefits, I didn't realize when I signed up. Simple Practice has a nice system for getting your consent forms signed, writing notes, writing treatment plans and sending client reminders. It also offers a secure online portal for clients to communicate with you between sessions. I find that it takes a bit of practice to understand how to do what you want to do, but once you've figured it out, everything works really well. One thing I really love about Simple Practice is how well it works on my phone. I've had alternative products in the past that had limited app compatibility so you always have to use a computer to modify anything. It's really nice that I can schedule people with just my phone.

Melissa Thompson

So glad I have Simple Practice!

Reviewed 2016-08-04

I've been in private practice for 3 years now and Simple Practice is the third EMR that I have tried. I am so happy I did! I had heard of Simple Practice for awhile and for some reason thought it was too expensive so I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered it was about the same as I had been paying with the others. The cost structure is very reasonable and I appreciate the different levels offered depending on need. I can't say enough about how user friendly this software is which makes all the difference! As most clinicians can attest to documentation is the least favorite part our jobs and Simple Practice has made that process much easier for me. Previous software seemed to involved multiple steps to enter a client's info or write a progress note. I've found Simple Practice to be as easy as using my iphone or ipad. Everything I need is all right there in a way that makes sense to the user. I don't have to search for the every day actions I use such as progress notes, scheduling, billing, etc. It's all right there in a format and presentation that's easy to find and even easier to use. I also love the flexibility of the app which has been a great addition. I'm able to access client's contact information whenever I need without jeopardizing HIPAA and confidentiality. Overall, this is the best software I've found out there and it has made the paperwork and bookkeeping end of my practice as easy as ever. I couldn't be more grateful!The ease in using the software. Everything is simple to enter and simple to keep on top of. I especially love the to do list it creates so I know exactly who needs to be billed, what progress notes need to be written, etc.