Homebase Logo

Free employee scheduling, time tracking, and more.

Homebase Reviews

Suggested alternatives

bamboohr
workforcenow
rippling

The ability for them to request days off on the app is amazing because I do not have to remember all the days, it comes up while I'm making the schedule.
We are using the free features of home base and couldn’t not be happier. It is reliable, accessible, and just plain awesome.
I love the ease of making schedules and tracking of hours. I also love the fact of when hiring someone I can send them the invite and send them a schedule right away.
With applicant messages, there's no way to end the communications/block disqualified applicants so I've had former applicants continually message and harass with no solution from Homebase.
I don’t like surprises and that happens. That feature alone is my only complaint.
The only problem I have is once my drivers download the app it can be difficult logging on the first time.

1,014 reviews

AG

Amy G.

Director

Education Management, 11-50 employees

Homebase Review: Homebase is the Best for the Price!

Transcript

Amy: I'm Amy. I'm the director of a child care center. We have about 30 employees and I rate Homebase...

SL

Susan L.

President

Retail, 1-10 employees

Review for Homebase

Transcript

Susan: My name is Susan. I own a gem and mineral store. I give Homebase a five out of five rating. I...

Marcus P.

Excellent Scheduling Software for Restaurants/Bars

This is great way to track hospitality staff for clocking in and out, as well as recording some key data for payroll processing even if you do payroll outside of Homebase.

Pros

This makes scheduling our bar staff extremely easy and helps to track other payroll accounting data like start dates, hours, etc. It also helps to communicate with staff and provides a good source of applicants from a tailored database of hospitality industry applicants.

Cons

It could have more features for team communication and collaboration. The dashboard navigation is pretty straightforward but could be improved.

CC

Claire C.

Food & Beverages, 1-10 employees

Helpful and Easy Communication

We switched from Slack because homebase puts scheduling/time-off requests/shift trades all in one place and allows employees to do some of that work on their own. Hooray!

Pros

I love the ease of communication Homebase allows with employees. No need to exchange personal numbers and all of the communication is one place. Also allows employees to clock in and out from their devices which is awesome when your the point of sale is also the clock and out spot. This way, we don't have to interupt the workflow to clock in and out. Also really like how Homebase shows your earnings per shift. No guess work at what your hourly paycheck will be!

Cons

My biggest complaint is just that there seems be a lag between the time you check a notification and the time it takes to refresh. So the app will show that I have a new notification when it's actually something I have already checked on. Not a huge deal, but makes me feel like I'm missing something when I'm really not. I could also live without a notification asking if I have clocked out of my shift any time I work past by specified hours. For Example, shift ends at 11:30 but I don't clock out until 11:45 - I get at least one if not 2 text asking if I forgot to clock out.

DC

David C.

Financial Services, 11-50 employees

I've never seen so many bugs....

Bad,bad,bad. Customer service is responsive but there are just soooo many bugs with this software.

Pros

Very easy to use. The user interface is very simple and easy to navigate.

Cons

I feel like this is a beta software that should not have been rolled out yet. We have been using it for a week and have had issues every day since we started using it. Basic things that you think should just work doesn't work. Example: All my employees have a 1 hour, unpaid lunch everyday. They clock in and clock out on this required one hour lunch but Homebase is still counting it in their total...

Hi David - We are so sorry to hear you've been having issues your Homebase account. This is not the experience we want our customers to have. Our head of technical support has just emailed you to see if we can remedy these issues for you. If you have any further issues, please reach out to me directly at reviews@joinhomebase.com. Looking forward to getting these issues resolved for you, and so sorry again for all the challenges here. - Ryan

BH

Bryan H.

Education Management, 11-50 employees

Good options but struggles at times

Pros

We have used Homebase for our needs for the last 7 years. There are many features that are nice that we use. The timeclock is the main feature that we use as it allows our team members to clock in and out right from their phones. It also give them how many hours they have worked and how much pay they have made.

Cons

The message and schedule feature is hard. The Message feature constantly stops working so our team members dont get the notifications. Also trying to schedule for a month at a time is very hard and it could be easier. I have asked that they make it easier but nothing has changed.

DD

Doh D.

10 years and still my favorite

Pros

i've been using homebase for at least 10 years, and it is the very best. it's so very user-friendly, and the features are top-notch. i'm a huge fan.

Cons

there's nothing i dislike about homebase, and if i did, they listen to their clients and add/improve features regularly.

BL

Brooke L.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees

Very satisfied healthcare manager

Switching to homebase has made our staff much more efficient.

Pros

Homebase employee scheduling is very user friendly and adaptable to meet our individual needs.

Cons

I wish the PTO tracking was more adaptable.

AH

Andrea H.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Great Payroll Software

Pros

Homebase is very user-freindly and allows you to make corrections or changes easily. The cost is reasonable compared to other payroll software and Homebase pays and files your payroll forms and taxes so it saves you time! It's cloud based so you can be anywhere and do payroll or check employees hours, scheduling, etc. Homebase staff was very helpful when I was setting up.

Cons

I have been using Homebase for one month and there are no cons as of yet.

LB

Laura B.

Retail, 11-50 employees

Intuitive Software

Pros

This program is well-designed, intuitive, visually appealing, and easy to use. The support staff are very helpful and friendly. It has also been incredibly beneficial to be able to use our choice of platform (PC, tablet, etc.) for clocking in/out and also using the software on the administrative side.

Cons

So far, there is nothing that I dislike about Homebase!

AC

Amanda C.

Food & Beverages, 11-50 employees

Homebase is the way to go!

Pros

I love homebase! I can keep track of my schedule, hours,paycheck and all kinds of other things through the app! It's perfect!

Cons

The only thing I don't really like is the cash out feature. It uses plaid to link banks and cards but all of the cards I use are not supported.

IW

Isaac W.

Restaurants, 11-50 employees

Homebase excels in what it does!

Pros

The ease of use for HR Administrators and Managers.

Cons

Menu on side doesn't allow to show all available options

MK

Matt K.

Medical Practice, 1-10 employees

Homebase

When we first launched we had a programming issue where the time clock would crash once a day. The team at Homebase was quick to address the issue and put us in contact with the development team who got us on a beta version of the next release. This fixed our issue and the team at Homebase was responsive and open to feedback as we previewed the upcoming release. I have had representatives from Homebase reach out to my multiple times for feedback on their products. It is refreshing to see a company openly solicit feedback from their user base in an effort to improve their product. Every interaction I have had with their staff has been positive.

Pros

Homebase has been the perfect time clock system for our business. It was easy to configure and with the entire system web based I can monitor our staffing when I am off site. We use a wall mounted iPad to clock in and out which was less expensive than many physical time clocks. My staff has enjoyed having access to their Homebase dashboard where they can easily review their punches/total hours....

Cons

I don't have any cons. It is a quality product and the team at Homebase has been quick to respond to any issues we have had.

MG

Michael G.

Construction, 11-50 employees

Best virtual timeclock for your money

Overall, my experience has been great with Homebase. Coming from manual punch clock, I've cut down my payroll process by at least 80%. It is easy to use (original software version is easy, new version is a little too messy so I haven't switched to the new view.) I still enter hours manually into QBO, because Homebase doesn't split regular and overtime hours. Not a big deal. *A couple wishes* 1....

Pros

What I like most about Homebase is that it doesn't break the bank to put in a virtual timeclock system. It integrates with Quickbooks online and it is easy to use.

Cons

1. It does allow for a little customization, but not advanced enough for the way I run payroll. 2. It does not send separate regular hours and overtime hours to QBO.

AW

Allison W.

Food & Beverages, 11-50 employees

Fairly good for scheduling, could use some work

We are utilizing the HR function. It is nice to be able to send in questions and get responses from HR professionals. The help desk is responsive and usually helpful

Pros

Being able to create a base schedule of open shifts as a template is nice. You apply the template to the week, and then you can drag and drop the shifts onto employees. You must use a computer for this to work. The auto-scheduling feature can give you a good starting point but has flaws that make it impossible to publish a schedule using only auto-scheduling.

Cons

I would like more categories than owner, manager, employee. With more options of who can see what information. Auto schedule feature needs improvement to not schedule people on doubles and multiple locations at the same time. They've made a number of improvements over the years, but I sometimes think they are trying to add too many new features when they need to perfect the features already available first.

GC

Grace C.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees

Easy to manage staff

instead of emailing we started using this app to manage schedules (which were done on paper before!) and to send messages to staff, like hey team i'm going to be late this morning, or on Friday we can wear jeans to work! It has made our team much more cohesive and together. now we all know what is going on!

Pros

Most of our staff is young and are on their phones all the time anyways. This app made scheduling a breeze with requests to switch shifts and time off easy to fill and move around hours. Plus there was no more second guessing what time you were scheduled for or who is off. Also you have the ability to message staff through the app which has made interoffice communication much better!

Cons

The free version only allows 1 manager- I recommend upgrading and letting a manager from every department be able to manage their employees coverage. otherwise it gets a bit overwhelming for 1 manager. Occasionally the app will not let me in asking me to enter a verification code, that is a bit annoying.

KR

Kaitlynn R.

Restaurants, 1-10 employees

The Features I Need for Free

Pros

I get to schedule employees and they get to see it on their phones, check schedules, ask for time off, trade shifts, and get reminded to come to work an hour before their shift starts! I can change timecards on the back end if I need to, see how many hours I have scheduled, and estimate what payroll will be. It's easy to clock in and out in the app and Homebase keeps up with the times for pertinent questions to ask when they clock in.

Cons

Trying to shedule a shift from the app will make the schedule go off. You put in one time and then it changes it 2 hours for some reason, not a big deal, it usually schedule from my laptop anyway.

DM

Danielle M.

E-Learning, 11-50 employees

We Love Homebase

Overall. we love Homebase. It has made so many of our processes easier and streamlined. With a few tweaks, it could be even more amazing. The great thing is the company is open to feedback and often test and release new product features.

Pros

My team was using spreadsheets to schedule and to complete payroll before Homebase. What a manual nightmare. There were always so many mistakes and issues. Once we moved to Homebase, it instantly made things better. My contractors were able to see their schedules instantly and at any time they needed it. The reminders an hour before their schedule help them to be on time for their shift. So we have...

Cons

There are sometimes glitches, especially with the app. They are overall minor but can be a pain. For example, sometimes when there is a swap made on the app, it will show a notification, but when you go into the app it doesn't show the swap. Good thing we keep up with them in a chat or we would have no idea who was trying to swap. Also, it is mostly geared towards companies with employees, this could be great if there could be modifications for people who have contractors and do not have to abide by the same restrictions, such as 8-hour shifts, working days consecutively, etc.

EW

Earl W.

Entertainment, 51-200 employees

Great Scheduling Software for businesses of all sizes

Overall we love homebase. We started out using it as a test with just 1 location now we use it for 9 different businesses. Some of them have office staff, some remote/traveling staff that use GPS on app clock in/clock out and some have staff that clock in when they get to work using on location computers. It couldn't be quicker to set up and get started and the fact that you have a forever schedule history is an awesome feature. Plus depending on the features you need - you can try it out for free (as in free free - their starting price point is zero)

Pros

Simple interface, quick timesheet edits and complete edit/history tracking for all changes made to anything in their system.

Cons

The applicant tracking and job posting system is terrible. No app integration, mixed up listings if you have multiple businesses with different names, only one landing page listing jobs for all your locations combined...the list goes on. Skip this unless you are only one location or all of your businesses share the same brand/name.

BM

Bobbie M.

Medical Practice, 1-10 employees

FREE Scheduling / Messaging

Have been blessed with the ability to utilize a free app that allows me to schedule crew members & allows them to message each other if schedules need to change. Our volunteer ambulance agency also frequently holds training for other departments, meaning that I can add crew members/roles while I have students & then can remove them once classes are completed. Other apps that I have used had caps on the number of persons allowed to be added & even after deleting a person they still counted on the total number, meaning I couldn't add anybody else.

Pros

Allows volunteer ambulance team members to communicate & monitor schedule on the go. If an emergency happens we can communicate with each other remotely.

Cons

Messages are at times delayed. I don't "blame" Homebase due to the quality of our cell service in our area has been poor the past few months.

Kevin T.

Internet, 1,001-5,000 employees

Great system for employee time tracking.

Great experience! US-based representative whom were very kind, understanding and WILLING AND READY to resolve any and all issues when I needed to call to resolve the only issue I’ve ever had.

Pros

Homebase is extremely easy to set up employee time clock which happens to be free if your business has a single location and with a single location you may set it up for unlimited employees. For a small business owner where every dollar and cent matters, it’s a no brainer. A business owner may assign or allow the employee to set up their clock in and out code. Also, it may be set to take a photo of...

Cons

Not a lot a negative things to say. This software is best if you have multiple employees who may have a staggered schedule. Example: an employee opens, then you have a mid day shift, then a closer. You also have many employees that may be out in the field. geo-tag is not the best choice for a single entrepreneur who’s trying to track their time, set up easier ways to do so.

DF

Dawn F.

Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees

Great for Critial Access Hospital

It was really easy to set up, and its really easy to customize. I am still fine tuning things, but I can't believe how much time I save by using Homebase. We use it for a small rural hospital, and the nurses always have access to their schedules, can switch shifts and the touch of a button. I can't say enough about the support staff, they are always easy to deal with and follow up to make sure the issue was settled. The software is always being upgraded, and I love the new feature where I can see when they requested the shift and when it was approved. I can show the staff the information, and they can't argue that they didn't know they had that shift. So many great features.

Pros

The software is very easy to use, very easy to customize. I always have our schedule in my hand because it's on my phone. I'm able to most everything on my phone that I can do on my laptop. New staff have no difficulty navigating through the functions. Has made my life so much better

Cons

In the beginning there were some little kinks that I had to figure out, like some functions I can't see on the monthly view that I can see on the weekly view, but any questions I had were found on the help tab or my chatting with Homebase staff.

JJ

Jordan J.

Good

Easy to use. A bit slow when loading some pages, such as the applications page. Some parts don’t work as well as they should.

Pros

I like that I can easily see and adjust people’s schedules. I like that they get notifications that their shift is coming up. The push to my calendar is also a plus. Onboarding is simple. It’s well thought out.

Cons

I’d like to be able to write mock schedules. I know Homebase integrates with some POS, but it doesn’t with mine. It would also be great if there was discount for multiple stores under the same account. Adding photos to a message sometimes does not work. Could we get the ability to have a separate message stream even if it’s to the same group of people?

AV

Angela V.

Automotive, 1-10 employees

One of the best software tools out there for small businesses

Scheduling, Clock in and outs, communication with employees, hiring - I use Homebase for all these features. I've made a couple of suggestions along the way and their customer support is superior. I feel heart or they find a solution for me that I didn't think of. Hands down, this is one of the best software decisions I've made for my company.

Pros

The scheduling feature and time clock were the two most important features in implementing this software. But since then, the Hiring feature has become so valuable. Honestly every feature they offer is superb and what a great value.

Cons

Honestly, I can't think of anything I don't like about it.

PW

Paden W.

Hospitality, 1-10 employees

Love the APP! Wish you had cheaper monthly subscription options

Great! Just wish I could afford pro.

Pros

We love the software. It allows us to schedule, save info, talk to employees, and hire! I would love to have the pro feature but we simply cannot afford over $300 a month just to schedule and speak to employees. I’m a VERY small business and that takes about all the left over money I have at the end of the month.

Cons

The price, it also has been glitching ALOT. Most days I can’t see the schedule I created. The app will appear blank as if nothing has been created. I have deleted and redownloaded the app and still experience issues. The fact you can’t have multiple managers to adjust the schedule SUCKS. I am always signed in under my husbands profile to adjust the schedule. Please fix this. So many company’s would love this new permission set.

AS

Anthony S.

Great Scheduler and Time tracker

Pros

I use the free version and the functions and customer support are excellent. I have called them several times and they always answer and always solve the problem. For free you cannot get much better.

Cons

The free version lacks a few features I would like to use, such as time card saving and managing how far before the shift an employee can log in. The problem I have is the paid plans are too expensive. The pricing goes from zero to expensive to very expensive. There is no mid tier pricing for someone like me that wants a few extra features.

DC

Daniel C.

Food & Beverages, 1-10 employees

Multitool for time and attendance

I am an early adopter and have watched the software development from version 1. It has grown quite a bit and I have referred 15-20 other businesses. Though they never mention me for a referral bonus.

Pros

I love the scheduling and time and attendance features. I like the flexibility and the abilities of my team to control their own schedule and time off.

Cons

I dislike that the only feature I require from the next tier (+$20 per month) is different job codes so I just don't use it. I renegotiate payrate and time to achieve payrate differential for alternate job descriptions. It it was a weekly issue, I would switch products... that's how serious of a flaw it it. Also, Shift Ratings are a good idea but the functionality to retrieve their comments is clunky and I only remember to search it out once a month. It just makes it a throw away feature.