Ninox Reviews

User ratings

4.8

• Likelihood to recommend9.42/10

See full reviews by rating

Pros

Cons

It's an amazing software. It's simple, easy to set up, and for its price, they have a great customer service support which is one of the most important things when buying new software.

FS

Flavio S.

As I announced in my title of this short review I would point out the excellent support of users/customers: Short response time, friendly, useful and really giving help.

Ed

Ea d.

Absolutely the best of its kind - it's improved our workflow overnight. Customization is perfect.

PS

Pete S.

It annoys me the most that I can not program. That I do not speak any programming language and thus can not exploit the full potential of NInox.

FS

Florian S.

DF

Daniel F.

The inability to send invoices with a template message.

SW

Claris FileMaker

Freshdesk-logocaret

Freshdesk

Compare both
How would you rate Ninox?

Full featured and friendly

I was searching to replace my mobile -- but very much showing it's age -- HanDBase. I was also long time proponent of the Helix database on the Mac which was becoming less friendly and not easily mobile. I needed to put a structure in place for my new business. My requirements were: Mac friendly, multi-platform, and mobile. I found Ninox on v1 and worked through the learning curve. Today, Ninox v2.4 gives me a central point to coordinate the activities, common data of all my cloud based processes including: QuickBooks Online, G-Suites for Business, MailChimp, RingCentral, and Asana. I can hardly wait till v2.5 to see what else I can do to make my business easier.

Pros

Flexibility is a huge part of the Ninox platform. Ninox has the power of a multi-relation, multi-platform, mobile, scriptable database. And it can also be an easy no-scripting data gathering tool. As a small business owner, my needs develop on a daily basis. Ninox is my secret weapon to managing them in-house. When I need an ad-hoc tool to evaluate , template, and organize lists or piles of data... Ninox. When I want to take that ad-hoc tool and turn it into a multi-user process...Ninox.

Cons

Steep structural learning curve. My experience with database systems began with D-Base4 on DOS. All of my previous databases were predicated on the idea that the record is not created until it is "entered". A Ninox record is entered when it is created. Adding data to it is an update. Here me know and believe me later... there is massive power in this approach. I was also concerned that my users would have problems understanding this, none of them have ever noticed. In this age of instant entry and not-saving, they think it is normal.

Simple and intuitive

Much better operational overview. Simple process illustration. Since the introduction of Ninox, all I really need to manage the company is my iPad. All work can be done in the Ninox

Pros

We were looking for an alternative to Excel and are very satisfied. We have been using Ninox in our nursing service for 5 years now. In the meantime there is no longer any area that is operated without Ninox. The software is easy to use without having to learn a lot about a programming language. New ideas can be implemented very quickly.

Cons

I can think of fewer functions, but rather the lack of opportunity to simply look up solutions quickly. The manual is rather general and the software is so flexible that it can be adapted to almost all needs.

Cat’s Pajamas!

This is copied directly from my reply to tech support for one of their assists with one of my DB’s. “ I’m at work right now but can’t wait to get home to check this out. And I want to say that Ninox is like candy to a baby for me. I’m not the brightest bulb on the tree but I like puzzles and usually can poke the code long enough to get it to do what I want. In this case it was apparent that the best solution was going beyond my skill set. That said, I’ve dozens of DBs that go everywhere from standardizing my PM procedures at work, to helping with my finances, to running a handicapped pool tournament, to monitoring my meds. This app is in 1950’s slang, “the cat’s pajamas”. I appreciate your assistance with this and love your app!! Keep up the great work! ”

Pros

At personal level, it is unsurpassed in it’s feature set and ability to grow with the user’s experience. I’ve found that it’s scalability is vast and would lend itself to anything from personal use, to family shared use, to small business. I only hesitate to recommend for large business as I have no experience with how a large multi-user environment would work (speed, reliability, etc).

Cons

The grid system used to position fields in the forms you create can get really clumsy when a DB designed on an ipad or mac is viewed on an iphone. The fields shift around and do not retain the positioning that they have on ipad or mac. Unfortunately, this is necessary as creating a miniaturized version of the ipad or mac form would result in fields too small to be easily used, so this is a trade off. I haven’t designed any of my DBs specifically for an iphone display so they all get a bit wonky when I use my iphone to view them.

Amazingly easy to get into but hasn't evolved much

Pros

So easy to pickup and use. Really quick to develop a business app which feels very empowering. However that's pretty much where it ends

Cons

Too Mac centric, icloud as the sync option is ridiculous. Struggles on server edition with medium sized data sets, filtering becomes very slow. You cannot actually do much with your data, no real integration outside of Ninox. Poor implementation of report design and printing which exposes too much to the end user. Not enough separation between design and client use

good software, and now more and more stable

Can you please try

Pros

I look after 4 companies, accounting with Ninox. Now I have created an accounting with student administration and cash register for three companies. and it's different every time. Individually the customer.

Cons

The language is not yet stored as an all-encompassing guide. A search query database with typical errors linked to your solutions would anticipate many a consultation. slept and so on.... Structure and design, as well as calendar integration are limited on Mac - Why are links hidden in the title/description and not stored as a link field in Apple # Prices, in iCloud, totally okay. even very cheap. But for a company that wants to work on it with several users, 13 - 15 euros per user and month is too much. Look at the prices from Miro/microsoft. these prices are really interesting.

Great Product, Outstanding Support

I have completed many different database solutions at present, my latest one is a quote engine, previously it would take about 3.5 minutes to produce one quote if I was lucky, I can now deliver quotes in about 20 seconds, start to finish. Someone asked for 6 quotes the other day, he asked how long it would take the get the quotes, I said they will be with you within 15 minutes, he was well impressed, exceeded my own target and his expectations.

Pros

The ease of use, you can start building a database from scratch with very little experience. There are many templates to choose from and the support you get from the Ninox team is beyond 1st class. Ninox has saved me so much time and provided me with opportunities to develop more sales by using it.

Cons

The English manual needs development, (I believe this is in hand) there is so much information in the head of the support team that needs to get into the manual. Layout needs improving, I don't like having to messing about with 'spaces' and line breaks, I would prefer that we can place an object in position and it sticks in place.

Private use

I used to work a lot with Excel and I think it's very good that some commands can be created like Excel. The support is absolutely excellent.

Pros

Easy to handle. Even professionals cannot work with it.

Cons

I would like a page boundary in the print area to make it easier for A4 pages.

This review was translated from German. Read original review

An inuitive possibility to approach the world of databases

It has everything for becoming a Perfect Tool for many purposes. I hope to impress my Sponsors with my Oeuvre Catalogue

Pros

The friendly Support and easy way to make contact via Webinar and email. The way the customer‘s needs and Ideas are integrated, and That Templates can be Chosen and modified without Restrictions

Cons

Don‘t have any objections yet. I only Need it for a work catalogue, but I think the Design should be easier to Individualize, using fonts and colours, shapes and a wider Range of icons to choose from.

Could be easier to use

Just think it could be easier to use, more intuitive, less 'programmery'. I realise this is easy to say and hard to do, especially when speaking of a database, but there you go.

Pros

One off purchase rather than a subscription Powerful Does the job that I need it to - create and track invoices and expenses Quick

Cons

There are certain simple things - for example, auto-increments for invoice numbers that require 'programming-style' statements to set up.

Great database software for any level of code knowlege

I'm currently running my entire business management, warehouse and accounting with Ninox database. As someone who doesn't have any knowledge in database programming and coding, I was able to create and start using database in just 3 months.

Pros

Easy to use, and fast to implement in any aspect of Business Management and Workflow Management. Easy to follow instructions, ang great forum for novices.

Cons

I would like to see the ability for better reports customization, and more video tutorials.

for us exactly the right tool

Pros

At the beginning, it was a bit difficult to grasp the added value. But over time, you learn more and more and suddenly understand what the possibilities are. I've already clicked together quite a few things, from small apps to calculation tools. So far, everything was possible and could be implemented in a few hours. Importing data from existing documents is straightforward. The table view makes it easy for long-time Excel users to find their way around.

Cons

First of all: there are many new features all the time. So I hope that the following points are already being worked on. 1) The export of PDFs leaves a lot to be desired. Currently no sub-tables can be listed in tables, font and cell formatting via HTML only works within tables, but not in freely set text fields. Multi-page documents are difficult to create. For example, it is not possible to specify...

Stand-alone, Multi-User, iCloud, Cloud, Private / On prem .. offline sync... It has it ALL

Overall, I am very satisfied with Ninox. I have built workflow style applications to manage SOWS / Contracts, Customer Relations, "Getting Things Done (GTD)" style Task Management (I believe the phrase is TradeMarked by David Allan), IT Product Standards Mangement with REST/API interface to Technopedia, Bakery Orders, and yes.. my "first" application was a Bingo Game with random number generator to simulate the "Bingo Ball" drops.

Pros

The platform is very easy to use. While never say never, I do not see using spreadsheets to maintain various pockets of information any longer. While I am a thirty (30) plus year IT professional, within minutes I was up and running.. and within hours to days, I built a rather complex application to manage my Statements of Work (SOWs) with links to company resources, rate card, et all. A quick...

Cons

Pretty much in order of discomfort.. 1. As you can see from other reviews, the user documentation is lacking. At some points it is missing... and at other points it is just plain wrong. To mitigate this, the user forum is a great resource and several Ninox partners have published use case driven guides. 2. As a 30+ year IT professional, I had to adapt to the file based Ninox approach. While...

I am quite satisfied with Ninox, with its ready-to-go interface, sync ability, and its web access.

Pros

I simply like that the databases are essentially ready to use. As a longtime user of FileMaker Pro, I did tire of the too-simplistic interface of a new database (I avoided modifying templates--often more work) that required building up of numerous forms to get going (I still have a lot of raw looking FMP databases meaning ugly as I was not willing to put the time into making it look good. With Ninox,...

Cons

I wish there were constant or global fields allowed. As a college teacher, I import test results, and the first page is usually the answers, which I have to enter each result for the 25 questions and then "Update Multiple Records", and then "Assign Constant Value", but that is just a workaround fix, as the results are simply added to each record. If I have a student taking a late test (a regular...

Best money I ever spent

Overall i am so glad i spent the (small amount of) money to purchase this database when i did; it has paid off far more than it cost.

Pros

If this product went away, my business would suffer greatly. It is so flexible, and i can set it up to do exactly what i need it to do. I rely on the data in Ninox for most of my basic business functions, and it performs with speed and accuracy. I like that the software is resident and not fully cloud-based. I use it without a subscription since i am the only user, so it only costs me the time to set up or adjust a table.

Cons

Having customer support in Germany is a bit of a pain and can make for long turnaround times and translation issues for problem resolution. But fortunately the manual is fairly well laid out & explains most things in enough detail where some trial and error can get me to a workable solution.

Best Database Software and very easy to learn

Ninox made it possible for me to integrate my 4 programs into one program.

Pros

With Ninox, anyone can build their database in a very short time. I quickly understood how Ninox works. Even the Ninox scripting language is very easy to learn. I think this is the biggest plus that anyone can learn Ninox. Another advantage is that it works on all platforms and I don't have to adjust the input masks for the Ipad. The community is very helpful and also the support of Ninox helps everyone quickly with his problems. I have never before experienced such excellent support with any other software.

Cons

The documentation could still be improved especially for beginners. There should be more example videos what can be realized with Ninox because often the new users are surprised what can be realized with Ninox.

Ninox is an absolute boost for everyone with a small business and even more than a simple database.

Pros

It is an absolutely easy to use software for every kind of business, company, club or private use. With the powerful possibility given by the easy formula building blocks you can do almost everything with ninox. It rightly has customers like medical companies, industrial facilities, football clubs, photographers and a lot more. For my own business (wedding photographer) ninox do everything what I need....

Cons

I really needed a long time to find something about ninox that is worth to criticize. The start screen is not a beauty at all, but that's the smallest amount you work with. The most work to do is done in the single charts. So, what can I say what do I not like...phew...the printing layout is a little bit elaborately to copy to other printing forms. But ninox works already on this case.

Fantastic experience - Great software and amazing customer service

Pros

The software itself is great, it's very easy to get going with your own database and set it up suited to your needs. However the real value for me has been the customer service and support. Ninox seem aware that to get the most out of their software, users may have to delve into the more technical aspects of databasing which can be pretty obscure if you're not familiar with it. Fortunately their staff was amazing at helping me implement exactly what I needed through online one on one support and webcasts, not only that my correspondence was mainly with one member of their team so it wasn't a different or random person each time - this is very much appreciated, and helps when you have to go over the specifics of your needs and business.

Cons

There aren't really any "Cons" as such, as to be honest, I've had a near perfect experience. The only thing I would possible recommend is expanding the online documentation and reference to include useful or commonly used bits of code and formulas. It's worth noting that they already do this, as well as provide a number of templates for different kinds of databases, but it would be cool if there was...

Since I found the software, my way of thinking has changed, I think it's great, it has given me the

I was able to organize my activities much more easily and logically. I have turned this application into my favorite application, I use it every day to develop my company's processes and generate data from my conventional practice. Since I started using it, there have been many changes that I consider very useful. I hope you continue to develop successfully this great tool that changed my life.

Pros

Its ease of use, its simplicity, versatility, processing speed, is really friendly. I liked the new capabilities with the new version of IOS 11.0. They are always improving it, it is also very stable. I am very happy with the product.

Cons

I would like to have more capacity to display information in the columns in the impressions area Better integration with the calendar and that you could see more information from the calendar and incorporate alerts such as icons and colors for example. To be able to establish a timeline Improve document printing features

From file-list to allround business solution

I started with a simple file-list. Now it has task-management, time-registration and accounting implemented. I even set up a team with 2 different companies to make them benefit from my work on Ninox. So now I'm getting paid for creating a solution for my own company !

Pros

Ninox is very modular. You can start simple and add more features later. It is very flexible for changing and adding possibilities.

Cons

For me there are no cons. Everything I tried so far I was able to do.

Life changing :-)

We are not techies. The platform has been customised for us by a Ninox partner. He has done a fantastic job creating something that tracks multiple factors and is usable by staff with minimal training and IT skills. For instance the system will ring alarm bells if a child is not meeting basic world health organisation minimums across a whole range of factors. Working with Ninox we have moved from using Dickensian ledgers to a state-of-the-art system with almost no pain. This is remarkable, we still can't believe it.

Pros

The functionality. Using the Ninox platform we have developed a database as part of our orphan care programme in Malawi. One of the key challenges in Malawi is flaky, often non-existent internet access. The Ninox software stands alone on multiple iPads so our nurses, with minimal training, can input data in rural villages. Back at the hospital when we get a good Wi-Fi signal the database synchronises automatically. This is pretty neat, we don't get data corruption or issues common with other products when duplicate data is input from different sources.

Cons

Just sorry we didn't find it years ago. Also sorry we wasted time looking at alternatives.

A good product for a first time user

Ultimately I really like the end results that were finally achieved, but it took some tme on my part to learn to use it. I have little to no background in building a database, so the learning curve for me was longer than for most, but we now have an excellent database, and all of the necessary information on the entire customer base is now at our fingertips instead of in boxes of files and file cabinets. Definitely worth the effort.

Pros

Used it to create my first ever database for our company. Took a bit time, and some trial and error...but it works well. Once you grasp the understanding of the various prorocols to create a data base, it is easily applied to additional database tables and very easy to use. I love the way that you can create an account and then attach various files, photos, etc. to the main account file.

Cons

For a first time user or someone that is not 100% computer literate, it can be a bit difficult to grasp at first. Some of the terms used are odd, but all-in-all it's decent software.

I use Ninox to manage a house concert series that we host.

Time and peace of mind. By using Ninox to manage my house concert series, I eliminate two spreadsheets and the worries about messing up the format in either of them. I spend less time doing more -- great value for a small spend.

Pros

It's a quick and simple tool to learn. It synchs (almost) seamlessly across two Mac computers, my iphone and my ipad. And when I get stuck on how to do something, Ninox' customer support team (though 7 time zones away) are really responsive and helpful.

Cons

The documentation leaves alot to be desired, particularly their scripting language. The tool is very simple to use and intuitive, but when you get to a point where you're creating custom fields, filters and rules, you have to know the Ninox scripting language, and that's where the documentation could use a little improvement. I'm not a programmer by trade, and the documentation seems to assume that users are.

Ninox: Outstanding Support

I started to work out solutions for my existing registers and catologues with mixed data. Data import was very easy but adding structure looked like a never ending task. The very short descriptions in the basic manual do not show the broad variety of programming individual solutions nor enough information to apply functions and procedures... but my feedback to the support was rewarded - very quickly - with practical examples and further descriptions so I could start my work on a sufficient base of information.

Pros

Cons

At the first glance Ninox is very easy to handle but doesn't give you a good impression of the possibilities to customizing and working out individual solutions by its programming language "NX".

EASY AND EFFECTIVE

VERY GOOD EXPERIENCE, I TAKE A FEW HOURS OF TUTORIAL TO LEARN TO MANAGE IT AND NOW WHEN I NEED TO MAKE SOME CHANGES, I DO IT QUICKLY AND SIMPLELY

Pros

EASY AND INTUITIVE TO MAKE MY APPLICATION FOR MY NEED

Cons

IT HAS FEW DESIGNS AND FIGURES ALTHOUGH LASTLY IT ALREADY HAS SOME COLORS THAT MAKE MORE NICE IN VIEW

This review was translated from Spanish. Read original review

Once you understand the design concept behind Ninox, you will be amazed at what you can do.

(1) Able to quickly prototype enterprise-wide solutions. (2) Able to build production-quality data management and executive information systems quickly. (3) Able to manage enormous amounts of data with very quick processing and query turn-around.

Pros

Incredibly powerful. Amazing tech support. The feature set and functional capabilities of Ninox are the industry standard. Have used this platform to build entire ERP, CRM and HR Management systems for multi-billion dollar companies at a fraction of cost and time required by other solutions.

Cons

There is a bit of a learning curve. Ninox is not a "traditional" relational database management system... It is, in fact, much more. Was the best when I started using it two years ago and nothing even comes close today.