Ninox Reviews

Ninox

Create custom business apps for your team!

4.77/5 (115 reviews)

Pros
  • When I was looking for an asset tracking database, none of the pre-baked solutions tracked all of the data the way I wanted it. So I decided to roll my own solution with Ninox, and am glad I did.John R.Read the full review
  • Great, easy to setup and use database, at an excellent price. Customer support is outstanding.John B.Read the full review
  • The software itself is great, it's very easy to get going with your own database and set it up suited to your needs. However the real value for me has been the customer service and support.Julian B.Read the full review
Cons
  • It annoys me the most that I can not program. That I do not speak any programming language and thus can not exploit the full potential of NInox.Florian S.Read the full review
  • So far the only cons I experience is missing the functionality to import images in a "batch" set up to match with records in the database where a field is reserved for an image.Hans A.Read the full review
  • Still needs some features but developers are working hard and there are frequent updates.J A.Read the full review
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
James Schell

Full featured and friendly

Reviewed 2018-09-16

I was searching to replace my mobile -- but very much showing it's age -- HanDBase. I was also long time proponent of the Helix database on the Mac which was becoming less friendly and not easily mobile. I needed to put a structure in place for my new business. My requirements were: Mac friendly, multi-platform, and mobile. I found Ninox on v1 and worked through the learning curve. Today, Ninox v2.4 gives me a central point to coordinate the activities, common data of all my cloud based processes including: QuickBooks Online, G-Suites for Business, MailChimp, RingCentral, and Asana. I can hardly wait till v2.5 to see what else I can do to make my business easier.

Pros
Flexibility is a huge part of the Ninox platform. Ninox has the power of a multi-relation, multi-platform, mobile, scriptable database. And it can also be an easy no-scripting data gathering tool. As a small business owner, my needs develop on a daily basis. Ninox is my secret weapon to managing them in-house. When I need an ad-hoc tool to evaluate , template, and organize lists or piles of data... Ninox. When I want to take that ad-hoc tool and turn it into a multi-user process...Ninox.

Cons
Steep structural learning curve. My experience with database systems began with D-Base4 on DOS. All of my previous databases were predicated on the idea that the record is not created until it is "entered". A Ninox record is entered when it is created. Adding data to it is an update. Here me know and believe me later... there is massive power in this approach. I was also concerned that my users would have problems understanding this, none of them have ever noticed. In this age of instant entry and not-saving, they think it is normal.

Mike Conneen

Stand-alone, Multi-User, iCloud, Cloud, Private / On prem .. offline sync... It has it ALL

Reviewed 2019-08-07

Overall, I am very satisfied with Ninox. I have built workflow style applications to manage SOWS / Contracts, Customer Relations, "Getting Things Done (GTD)" style Task Management (I believe the phrase is TradeMarked by David Allan), IT Product Standards Mangement with REST/API interface to Technopedia, Bakery Orders, and yes.. my "first" application was a Bingo Game with random number generator to simulate the "Bingo Ball" drops.

Pros
The platform is very easy to use. While never say never, I do not see using spreadsheets to maintain various pockets of information any longer. While I am a thirty (30) plus year IT professional, within minutes I was up and running.. and within hours to days, I built a rather complex application to manage my Statements of Work (SOWs) with links to company resources, rate card, et all. A quick "create view", and I had a kanban view of SOWs expiring in 30, 60, 90 days. The platform is very flexible and the REST/API is a huge plus for me. Ninox Technical support is over the top. Free webinars, email support with response usually within 24 hours.. and a user forum with helpful and active participants (DISCLAIMER.. I am a participant).. Having used other desktop relational database applications on both Windows and Mac OS.. Ninox was the platform I have been searching for!

Cons
Pretty much in order of discomfort.. 1. As you can see from other reviews, the user documentation is lacking. At some points it is missing... and at other points it is just plain wrong. To mitigate this, the user forum is a great resource and several Ninox partners have published use case driven guides. 2. As a 30+ year IT professional, I had to adapt to the file based Ninox approach. While you do create "relations" between table objects, you have to rethink a bit of what you learned. Once you get the hang of it.. You are off to the races. 3. Even the local Mac App acts like "the web". Rows are committed on create.. then updated for each field update. This just takes some getting used to. On most of my applications, I add "buttons" to save/close the record so I can add data consistency logic (in global functions as must as possible). That logic is also repeated in "data verification" views so the user can scan for anomalies.

Ea de With

Ninox: Outstanding Support

Used weekly for free trial
Reviewed 2020-02-20

I started to work out solutions for my existing registers and catologues with mixed data. Data import was very easy but adding structure looked like a never ending task. The very short descriptions in the basic manual do not show the broad variety of programming individual solutions nor enough information to apply functions and procedures... but my feedback to the support was rewarded - very quickly - with practical examples and further descriptions so I could start my work on a sufficient base of information.

Pros
As I announced in my title of this short review I would point out the excellent support of users/customers: Short response time, friendly, useful and really giving help.

Cons
At the first glance Ninox is very easy to handle but doesn't give you a good impression of the possibilities to customizing and working out individual solutions by its programming language "NX".

Cristóbal Vila

The best experience with a database for only 35 bucks

Reviewed 2020-02-19

After lot of years using FileMaker I decided to change to Ninox. Because I'm not really an administrator person. I'm just a freelance designer. I have MORE than enough with Ninox to create my invoice, to archive my expenses, clients, taxes database… I'm not using Ninox on a daily basis. Just when a new client appear, or when a new invoice is needed (sometimes with weeks in between). Cheap, easy, powerful enough, robust. Perfect for something like me.

Pros
I love the easy of use. All is simple, direct and robust

Cons
It would be great if Ninox could provide with a good collection of predefined scripts

Daniel Fascia

Amazingly easy to get into but hasn't evolved much

Reviewed 2017-11-28

Pros
So easy to pickup and use. Really quick to develop a business app which feels very empowering. However that's pretty much where it ends

Cons
Too Mac centric, icloud as the sync option is ridiculous. Struggles on server edition with medium sized data sets, filtering becomes very slow. You cannot actually do much with your data, no real integration outside of Ninox. Poor implementation of report design and printing which exposes too much to the end user. Not enough separation between design and client use

Bastian Vorholt

Best Database Software and very easy to learn

Reviewed 2019-08-15

Ninox made it possible for me to integrate my 4 programs into one program.

Pros
With Ninox, anyone can build their database in a very short time. I quickly understood how Ninox works. Even the Ninox scripting language is very easy to learn. I think this is the biggest plus that anyone can learn Ninox. Another advantage is that it works on all platforms and I don't have to adjust the input masks for the Ipad. The community is very helpful and also the support of Ninox helps everyone quickly with his problems. I have never before experienced such excellent support with any other software.

Cons
The documentation could still be improved especially for beginners. There should be more example videos what can be realized with Ninox because often the new users are surprised what can be realized with Ninox.

John Heaslip

Life changing :-)

Reviewed 2019-08-16

We are not techies. The platform has been customised for us by a Ninox partner. He has done a fantastic job creating something that tracks multiple factors and is usable by staff with minimal training and IT skills. For instance the system will ring alarm bells if a child is not meeting basic world health organisation minimums across a whole range of factors. Working with Ninox we have moved from using Dickensian ledgers to a state-of-the-art system with almost no pain. This is remarkable, we still can't believe it.

Pros
The functionality. Using the Ninox platform we have developed a database as part of our orphan care programme in Malawi. One of the key challenges in Malawi is flaky, often non-existent internet access. The Ninox software stands alone on multiple iPads so our nurses, with minimal training, can input data in rural villages. Back at the hospital when we get a good Wi-Fi signal the database synchronises automatically. This is pretty neat, we don't get data corruption or issues common with other products when duplicate data is input from different sources.

Cons
Just sorry we didn't find it years ago. Also sorry we wasted time looking at alternatives.

Hans Appel

The advantages of using the cloud in practice

Reviewed 2019-09-23

Ninox is used in the knowledge center to archive books, objects and pictures. Traditional databases in this area are rigid and not based on modern functionality, they tend to stick to history. Ninox breaks through this attitude. Old software vendors make users hesitate by horror stories. So the fight is fierce but Ninox will win at the end.

Pros
The software has a lot of functionality which is not present in other products I did review. Ninox is easy to set up and has a lot of features you only find in much more expensive products. It is easy to use and as a Macintosh user since '84 that is an important feature what counts for me. Developing and using on iPhone, iPad, MacBook Air and desktop Mac is one thing but without fuzz using it on other platforms is great!

Likelihood to recommend: 9/10

Hans Lübken

High Flexibility

Reviewed 2019-07-09

We develop ERPs, CRMs and applications as required.

Pros
I appreciate the high flexibility, the good support and the possibilities to implement requirements quickly. Great connectivity to other systems.

Cons
There is nothing to complain about. If you want to be impatient: The development is never fast enough!

Andreas Römer

Best software for my daily workflow

Reviewed 2019-07-12

I have created my hole CRM by myself with the help of this great support

Pros
easy to handle, best support ever, low costs compared to similar databases

Cons
nothing to mention, everything is fine, really!

Bill Angelbeck

I am quite satisfied with Ninox, with its ready-to-go interface, sync ability, and its web access.

Reviewed 2018-05-03

Pros
I simply like that the databases are essentially ready to use. As a longtime user of FileMaker Pro, I did tire of the too-simplistic interface of a new database (I avoided modifying templates--often more work) that required building up of numerous forms to get going (I still have a lot of raw looking FMP databases meaning ugly as I was not willing to put the time into making it look good. With Ninox, the standard database looks good, and the other forms also are all ready and easy to build, which I appreciate. The focus is on the data, as the bulk of interface work is complete. Also, FMP has a cost for the web interface and syncing across devices, and Ninox makes it all so easy--this is greatly appreciated. I have nearly completed an FMP to Ninox switch for my databases; the clincher for me was yet another FMP update requiring great cost, and my old version was no longer cleanly workable with the new OSX update (constant crashing and loss of data entry or import), and Ninox seemed as has been a more efficient use of my dollars for a database.

Cons
I wish there were constant or global fields allowed. As a college teacher, I import test results, and the first page is usually the answers, which I have to enter each result for the 25 questions and then "Update Multiple Records", and then "Assign Constant Value", but that is just a workaround fix, as the results are simply added to each record. If I have a student taking a late test (a regular occurrence), I have to then re-enter the answers and assign constant value again because it's not a global or constant field. If I am missing something, let me know. Building calculations can be cumbersome with the many clicks across tabs to access the part you need; once I figure it out the pattern though I do switch to the text interface, and I'm glad that that's there. Wishful thinking: I would love there to be a map interface (I use this for data from archaeological sites and location-specific data from interviews with indigenous elders and community members). Currently, I log UTM coordinates (Northing, Easting, Elevation) or Lat/Long, but I have to export those to see the distributions. A throw to a Google Maps screen or other interfaces would be quite neat and time-saving and useful for data analysis. I imagine others would like to see something similar for mapping locations using customer address fields or showing all customers throughout the country or something.

Bastian Lenhard

Ninox is an absolute boost for everyone with a small business and even more than a simple database.

Reviewed 2018-01-11

Pros
It is an absolutely easy to use software for every kind of business, company, club or private use. With the powerful possibility given by the easy formula building blocks you can do almost everything with ninox. It rightly has customers like medical companies, industrial facilities, football clubs, photographers and a lot more. For my own business (wedding photographer) ninox do everything what I need. It saves all my customers, reminds me of important appointments, creates forms for all my correspondence, for my contracts, for the return of tax for the finance office, let me do my financial statement, gives me information about my year-end closing, scan barcodes, print labels, calculate the amount of customer orders, saves scans like model releases and bills and much more. Almost everything beneath the photography and image processing work is done with ninox. With a really small amount of knowledge of "if then else" and general formula functionality you can find your own way to do whatever you like to. And if you get stuck, the ninox support is really fast, friendly and helpful. That makes ninox the perfect software for my whole small business.

Cons
I really needed a long time to find something about ninox that is worth to criticize. The start screen is not a beauty at all, but that's the smallest amount you work with. The most work to do is done in the single charts. So, what can I say what do I not like...phew...the printing layout is a little bit elaborately to copy to other printing forms. But ninox works already on this case.

Julian Brown

Fantastic experience - Great software and amazing customer service

Reviewed 2018-09-25

Pros
The software itself is great, it's very easy to get going with your own database and set it up suited to your needs. However the real value for me has been the customer service and support. Ninox seem aware that to get the most out of their software, users may have to delve into the more technical aspects of databasing which can be pretty obscure if you're not familiar with it. Fortunately their staff was amazing at helping me implement exactly what I needed through online one on one support and webcasts, not only that my correspondence was mainly with one member of their team so it wasn't a different or random person each time - this is very much appreciated, and helps when you have to go over the specifics of your needs and business.

Cons
There aren't really any "Cons" as such, as to be honest, I've had a near perfect experience. The only thing I would possible recommend is expanding the online documentation and reference to include useful or commonly used bits of code and formulas. It's worth noting that they already do this, as well as provide a number of templates for different kinds of databases, but it would be cool if there was a bit more in the way of examples and snippets. I use the program Max/MSP by Cycling74 and their documentation of their code come as actual working patches which you can copy into your own patch, as well as there being a vibrant online community with people sharing their own patches etc. This way it's quite easy to get something working by piecing bits and pieces together before learning the entire syntax. I'd love to see some sort of central repository for commonly used formulas and ideas such as this for Ninox.

Guido Esquivel

Since I found the software, my way of thinking has changed, I think it's great, it has given me the

Reviewed 2017-11-02

I was able to organize my activities much more easily and logically. I have turned this application into my favorite application, I use it every day to develop my company's processes and generate data from my conventional practice. Since I started using it, there have been many changes that I consider very useful. I hope you continue to develop successfully this great tool that changed my life.

Pros
Its ease of use, its simplicity, versatility, processing speed, is really friendly. I liked the new capabilities with the new version of IOS 11.0. They are always improving it, it is also very stable. I am very happy with the product.

Cons
I would like to have more capacity to display information in the columns in the impressions area Better integration with the calendar and that you could see more information from the calendar and incorporate alerts such as icons and colors for example. To be able to establish a timeline Improve document printing features

Dave Airel

I use Ninox to manage a house concert series that we host.

Reviewed 2018-07-20

Time and peace of mind. By using Ninox to manage my house concert series, I eliminate two spreadsheets and the worries about messing up the format in either of them. I spend less time doing more -- great value for a small spend.

Pros
It's a quick and simple tool to learn. It synchs (almost) seamlessly across two Mac computers, my iphone and my ipad. And when I get stuck on how to do something, Ninox' customer support team (though 7 time zones away) are really responsive and helpful.

Cons
The documentation leaves alot to be desired, particularly their scripting language. The tool is very simple to use and intuitive, but when you get to a point where you're creating custom fields, filters and rules, you have to know the Ninox scripting language, and that's where the documentation could use a little improvement. I'm not a programmer by trade, and the documentation seems to assume that users are.

Anonymous

Once you understand the design concept behind Ninox, you will be amazed at what you can do.

Reviewed 2017-11-02

(1) Able to quickly prototype enterprise-wide solutions. (2) Able to build production-quality data management and executive information systems quickly. (3) Able to manage enormous amounts of data with very quick processing and query turn-around.

Pros
Incredibly powerful. Amazing tech support. The feature set and functional capabilities of Ninox are the industry standard. Have used this platform to build entire ERP, CRM and HR Management systems for multi-billion dollar companies at a fraction of cost and time required by other solutions.

Cons
There is a bit of a learning curve. Ninox is not a "traditional" relational database management system... It is, in fact, much more. Was the best when I started using it two years ago and nothing even comes close today.

Gabi Alonso

Worth the price, customizable and excellent support

Reviewed 2018-08-31

Allowed me to grown my business without spending a lot of money. Customize all the proceed at your own will never pay the price. Frankly recommended !

Pros
Continuous improvements. Easy to program and user friendly Not expensive in front other softs. iCloud Team work is amazing and reliability is on top. great bunch of field types Incredible support

Cons
Bulk data relationship between tables Formulary view needs to improve. User friendly programing by drag and drop needs more options actually only accesible by code typing Printing layout can be more sophisticated

Martin Sanderson

As an inexperienced database user, I find it quite easy setup. Just wish there were more tutorials

Reviewed 2017-11-02

Team integration and updating of data. Also being able to access remotely the latest information held in the database. It also enables us to maintain an overview of all the latest projects that we have going.

Pros
Relative ease of use, but most of all the cloud integration and having several people able to access and update it at the same time. I also like the fact its on a secure platform, removing a data protection issue from our office.

Cons
Trying to get to grips on how to integrate formulas, I also wish there was more flexibility with the Calendar, we have 90 odd consultants and when we put all of their project dates in its more or less unusable as a graphical representation of their busy and free periods.

Joelle Clermont

Ninox is an awesome app making app for business

Reviewed 2018-04-11

Pros
I have been using this product for more than a month every day for my dog care business. The Ninox app looks simple but is, in fact, a very powerful tool to create a complete database. For business, the cloud-based storage gives you seamless cooperation between users. In addition to that, update in coding and field modification is done live, affecting all user instantly, a great thing for small business growing fast and needing to adjust without making heavy updates. Client support is awesome. They answered all my question the next day (considering the time zone!) I work with multiple tables from client information to reservation then invoices. All of that is linked together in a way I can save time and find the information very fast! If you knew Bento from Apple, you'll love Ninox! If you didn't know Bento, then you'll love Ninox too!

Cons
Some features are missing, but are in plans to be on the next version. Those are quite cased specific features, so you may not need them depending on your needs. But seeing how they take care of their product and clients I'm sure their next version will amazing!!

Luis Porras Wadley

Great to manage your business

Reviewed 2017-10-27

I can manage my language school easily with this product. I manage students, monthly payments, invoices, book sales, receipts, taxes, debts, etc.

Pros
I love how easy it is to create a database which is customised to your own needs. Also, it is great to be able to modify, add or remove any feature you want in just a few clicks. It's really easy to do so without being IT savvy.

Cons
The only thing I could mention is that there are still functions which I'd like it to have. For example, it would be great to be able to send attached pdf documents over email (as in click a button and have the document attached to an email which is ready to be sent). Hope they add this in the future.

Martin Lange

Jumped to Ninox from Filemaker Pro - Best Move EVER!

Reviewed 2018-01-11

Pros
Excellent, friendly customer support is my favorite feature of Ninox. These guys love their product and listen to their customers. They are very quick to respond to questions and have helped me add features to my database that I couldn't figure out. With the templates they offer and the tutorial videos they have posted on YouTube, anyone can understand the basics of how Ninox works.

Cons
The interface is not the prettiest and can only be modified to a certain point. I can't wait to see v.3, because that is when software hits it's stride.

Alejandro Jakobowicz Debats

NINOX, Fantastic application you need NINOX!!!

Reviewed 2018-07-05

You can manage all your information and Team from Ninox in real time, no need use Excell.

Pros
You can organize your data and maintain actualized and all your team have the info. The system its very stable you can trust in NINOX and your team. The Support is excellent.

Cons
Nothing!!! You only need think in your needs and make your database. Its fantastic NO CONS you can trust.

Anonymous

Easily made a database tailored to my needs

Reviewed 2018-02-09

Pros
The program was very easy to use and flexible. I searched several programs that did not give me the flexibility that Ninox did. I combined several databases into one, easy to use database and am able to run reports that are meaningful to my practice. It is also cloud based, so I can access it on my phone and on the iPad.

Cons
The update took away the easy edit tool, so I can't figure out how to change my database anymore. Luckily, I don't think I need to make any major changes anymore. Initially, it took a while to get used to, but some of the updates have made it easier to navigate and get the information that I want in a report format that is easy to read.

Scott Padden

Easy to use no programing required fast support

Reviewed 2017-11-10

Helps me run my business and to keep records all in one place and access anywhere

Pros
I have no background in databases but this program is easy to use no technical programing needed product is easy to set up and use daily i keep track of all of my online students using this database and the cloud feature is super fast try it out you will not be disapointed

Cons
None so far wish the reports were easier to use wish they could be broken down by week months or days not easy to customize on the PDF side however downloading the CSV is ok

Brian L

Great product that keeps getting better

Used occasionally for 6-12 months
Reviewed 2019-08-19

Created a database for an orphanage in Africa, so that data could be input via iPads.

Pros
It is very easy to create a database, and it's easy for end-users also. The screens and navigation are all user-friendly. Its cross-platform and offline capabilities on iOS make is a standout product, and the support from the Developers is excellent. Great online community too.

Cons
Some of the coding behind the scenes isn't as straightforward as VBA, and some of the functions aren't entirely intuitive, but after ready some tutorials, it becomes apparent.