All categories
Bloomerang

Donor management software and database for nonprofits

visit website

Bloomerang Reviews

Pros

The product is easy to use, does what we need it to do efficiently and the chat function for questions is AMAZING and so helpful.

Angela B.

Jane W.

They help me weed through the data I don't need to get to what really matters. The support team is awesome, friendly, knowledgeable and willing.

Paula R.

Cons

After pleading with them for weeks for having missed the window by a couple of days they have not returned dozens of calls and just say "it's policy" even during a global pandemic and recession.

Erin N.

They have predatory contracts and very shady renewal schemes that lock you in and give you no way to cancel.

Erin N.

Households are confusing and cause me trouble with letters especially if a spouse is deceased.

Jessie H.

Bloomerang gets me

Transcript

Mollie S.: Hi, I'm Mollie, and I'm a development director in the human services industry, and I give...

A well-thought out product

Transcript

Ellie B.: My name's Ellie. I am the director of development and operations, my industry is nonprofit....

I love Bloomerang

Most fundraising vendors I've worked with feel very "salesy". Not Bloomerang. The company is made up of genuinely good people who honestly care about improving nonprofits' relationships with donors and helping them reach fundraising goals. I've been a customer for over 10 years and their culture continues to be this way. I also love how much time I save - other CRMs require a lot of time to clean up and input data; with Bloomerang I am able to spend more time actually raising money.

Pros

The reporting meets all our needs, data is easy to import and read, customer service and tutorial videos and articles are on point, and the company offers continuing education courses on fundraising strategies.

Cons

I've converted to Bloomerang from other CRMs at three different organizations now. Whatever cons they are, they are very minimal, and Bloomerang is constantly improving its system. Any major cons I could think of in the past have been resolved through upgrades they've done over the years. If I ever do have an issue, they are extremely open to feedback and will add my concerns to their list of features to improve.

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

Bloomerang in a heart beat!

We are having no problems with Bloomerange and simply continue to learn. Coming from Blackbaud eTapestry is a dream! I recommend Bloomerang to all local and national leadership groups.

Pros

Bloomerang has great customer service, easy tutorials, tons of webinars, and educational offerings that are very informative. It was an easy transition to Bloomerang and we continue to learn all the features to best serve our needs. We are enjoying the email feature (no more 3rd party services needed) and the ease of getting mass mailings out. Our tracking of donor history and reporting is constantly getting better. I like the customer service and user-friendly program the most.

Cons

We are still learning the many options before us. We started with a larger package and have not scaled that back. If we need to bring it back, we will. I'm learning new payment features which we may embark but the public feels very secure with PayPal.

Thank you Lee Ann for the thorough feedback! Happy to hear you are utilizing all of our free content too.

• Likelihood to recommend1.00/10

Limited Options and Poor Customer Support

Pros

We sought this vendor because of its simple platform and reduced cost.

Cons

There are so many negative experiences, it's hard to identify what I liked least. 1. Revolving door customer support. Sales was very attentive, but after we purchased, we had difficulty getting ahold of our customer support. At one point she said she only worked 2 days a week, and then she called from a noisy street. Customer support didn't know about integrations with other products or setting...

Hello, Software Advice community! I'd like to address you, the reader of this review, directly rather than the author, whose review is largely punitive rather than constructive. Bloomerang absolutely stands by its product, which is why we did not allow this customer to break their signed agreement. We did, however, offer to pay for their third year in full. You can see from the feedback on this...

Bloomerang is the best!

We don't need a big semi, we just need a pickup truck. Bloomerang has been our happily affordable, fully loaded pickup, with little extra surprises like a cool sunroof, and leather seats. We are now driving our development program with dependability, accuracy, and style.

Pros

Bloomerang is extremely user friendly and has the best customer service I've ever experienced. Having it as a tool has allowed us to move from a barely functioning CRM to a more professional development office. We can now manage our moves management and have accurate reporting.

Cons

There are really small things that I'm hoping change, for instance I would like to have more options for customization in the newsletter generation. And, I miss my shortcut of putting in a zip code and having the city populate automatically. Small things that do not affect much.

Great Value... Always Evolving

Overall this is my favorite donor and volunteer management software for a small to midsize nonprofit. The pricing is scalable and it really does a great job of integrating everything you know about a donor into one place.

Pros

I love how easy it is to use and understand Bloomerang out of the box. The customer service and training offered are first rate. Additionally, I love that wealth screening and NCOA scans are part of the package and not something I have to purchase and integrate separately.

Cons

There's very little I dislike. I want to be able to create custom titles and suffixes for people, but there's very little in Bloomerang that I can't do that I want to do.

Wild Connections is very satisfied with our CRM

After a learnign period of several months, we've found that our small team has become very effective in sending regular mass emails and print mail lists for newsletters, events announcements, action alerts and funding appeals. One person does the majority of donations entry, acknowledgements, and general data base management. Another person does most of the mass emails. A third person does grant tracking. In the absence of a paid administrator, we are covering all the roles as well as providing several people trained in most aspects of the CRM.

Pros

Bloomerang CRM has immensely improved Wild Connections' relationships with our constituents and donors. We rely on individual contributions for a large portion of our income, and the ability to send our newsletters, action alerts and funding appeals is critical to our funding efforts. We also track participation in events and use that information to segment our mailing lists. The webinars and on line videos and instructions are invaluable.

Cons

The reporting features are excellent once the right filters are applied. Sometimes it has taken tech support to help us with that, but tech support is very responsive and helpful.

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

One of the best Developement Products on the market!

Ever since switching to Bloomerang, I have actually enjoyed entering donor information, running reports, creating emails, etc. With our other software, I dreaded having to login each day because it was just a clunky system, but not with Bloomerang. It is easy to find donor information, create forms, send emails, etc. And after 2 years, I have yet to run into any issues with the software, which is a win in my book.

Pros

From day one, everything with Bloomerang has been great. I was incredibly nervous about switching over to Bloomerang from our current software and they made the process so seamless and so simple. Once all of our data was converted, I jumped right in and could quickly run reports, create new donation forms, add images to all of my donors, and even link up social media accounts. Something that I could not do with our old software. Bloomerang's interface is also 'clean' and it is fairly easy to find anything you need. But what I have been most impressed with is its help features, free webinars, and customer service people. They are top-notch and you can't beat the free webinars that they offer weekly! I've learned so much since switching to Bloomerang.

Cons

We've only been using the software for about 2 years and right now, I really haven't run into any thing that I don't like. It is so easy to use and is really great software.

WOW Kelly! What wonderful feedback. I will certainly pass this along to the "powers that be" thank you!

Bloomerang for the win!

I love Bloomerang and use it on a regular basis. I no longer hesitate to look up information or turn to Bloomerang for help. Because I had so many issues with our previous database, I found myself dreading having to use it and/or figuring out a different way to gather the information I needed.

Pros

My company used Raiser's Edge for many years before switching over to Bloomerang and that was one of the best days in my working career. I love that we can immediately get a sense of a donor as their page comes up with the Giving Summary and Level of Engagement. I also appreciate being able to quickly see what the latest, largest, first, and lifetime giving is at a glance. Pulling reports, mailing lists, and financials is very user-friendly, too. Having trainings available to return to for refreshers and references is very handy. Using Bloomerang has been a game-changer for me in keeping track of donor information and then having the ability to compile that information in almost endless ways.

Cons

The most time consuming part of Bloomerang that feels a bit clunky is the creation of households. It requires data entry for one of its members, a new constituent record for the other member of the household, and then going back to create a household and link the two donors. It feels like there could be an easier way to get that information and create those relationships without so much back and forth.

Thank you for your feedback regarding households Hannah. I will pass that along to our product teams!

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

Customer Support is HANDS DOWN the best.

Wonderful. That is all.

Pros

I am a sole user of our agency's donor/constituent software. I'm stubborn and like to try to figure things out before asking for help, BUT Bloomerang's customer service team is outstanding. I've never been on hold or had to wait long at all for support. Plus, you get a real person that also helps you implement things that come about during your conversation. There are also many avenues you can contact them. AND, their webinars with other community partners are always so insightful, and fun!

Cons

I'm hoping that we can, down the line, make online donation forms--for general donations and events--a little more visually inviting (easier to read). Also, more like a menu with a shopping cart for check out, instead of working with an outside vendor that integrates with Bloomerang.

Thanks so much Kristine! I'll be sure to pass along your kind words to Support.

• Likelihood to recommend7.00/10

Important of Data collection

The great thing about Bloomerang is that you can look at the profile page and see what interactions you have with a person/organization on one page.

Pros

It is very important that we capture data on our customers/users/donors/supporters and Bloomerang allows us to do that.

Cons

Inability to modify the survey templates provided Inability to make changes to our own templates we have created. Not getting newer/different email templates on a regular basis (annual)

• Likelihood to recommend9.00/10

Bloomerang is easy to use for all staff at small nonprofit

We are very pleased with the chat feature for help; it has surpassed all of our expectations (it makes it easy to recommend the software because of this). We did not jump into using Bloomerang as a tool to increase donations right away, we first focused on building our system. We had a new development person who, after a year, is finally digging deeper into report analysis, which has been our goal....

Pros

The interface is very user-friendly. I am the tech support person at the agency, but other staff has been comfortable enough to build reports on their own and manage the e-newsletter (mostly admin asst and development director). That takes a lot off of my plate; I only swing in for questions if staff ask, which isn't much. Staff likes generating the thank you letters right from the Bloomerang platform....

Cons

We still struggle with the report feature. We have no problem with simple reports, but some can get very complicated and we are not sure if we are doing them right. We always reach out to Bloomerang support to make sure that our info is drawing accurately on the more complicated reports. Usually these reports are staples, so once they are created, the user is good to go for all future use, except...

Bloomerang Software Review

I think Bloomerang is the best mid-tear CRM there is. If you are looking for a data management software that doesn't break the bank and does things you need it to do, then Bloomerang is it. I have actually recommended Bloomerang to other colleges.

Pros

It does everything you need it too, for a fraction of what Gift Works cost. I keep all our donor information in the system, run monthly reports using that information, and everything in between. The new feature that we just started using is the "Automatic Acknowledgment Letter" function. We have our standard thank you letter that we inputted in the system, and it will come up when you enter in a donor gift with that donor's information already added to the sections you need it. Then you can choose to edit the letter to make it more personal for the donor. Then we print it right off and it is ready to go. Super simple, and saves us so much time!

Cons

At times, you may feel overwhelmed at all the things Bloomerang can do for your non-profit. When I first started working within Bloomerang, it seem a little complicated, but that is where their customer service steps in. If you have ANY question about the program, they give you a number that you can call any time and they will walk you though what you need step by step. I have called the number multiple times, and every time they were able to help me verbally and give me the written directions as well so I can have them if I ever have the problem again. Honestly, I have a "Bloomerang Binder" full of these helpful directions.

• Likelihood to recommend7.00/10

Bloomerang CRM

Bloomerang is a quick and fast resource for donor retention, average gift and reports that tell me who I need to connect with and who loves our work. It helps to identify major donor prospects and who are biggest fans are. We use it to monitor email open and click through rates and to help us evaluate our fundraising goals. It's useful for donor engagement as well.

Pros

Bloomerang is a simple to use CRM system for donor management and communication. I love that I can do donor emails and donation management all in one system. The customer service/help desk is great, always very patient with a non-techy person. Loads of training resources. So many features that a one person shop can find it hard to learn or use them all.

Cons

I wish there was a peer to peer fundraising option or integration with more peer to peer platforms, would love to see a text to give option, would love more automated messaging options, would like donors to be able to log in to change their giving options, would like to be able to go into a recurring donation and change it based on the donor's request instead of having to cancel it and have the donor...

Thank you Kerrie! Have you had a chance to take a peek at GiveButter? More details here! https://bloomerang.co/blog/new-feature-givebutter-integration/

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

Best CRM for mid-sized non profit

Our overall experience with Bloomerang has been terrific. We have much better reporting functionality, we track interactions more effectively. We create make use of all the features, and chose event software that integrates directly into BLoomerang this year, which has saved us a world of duplicate entry. We're very happy users.

Pros

I've been in fundraising for over 25 years and have used a lot of different CRM systems for fundraising. Bloomerang is my favorite because it is intuitive, well-designed, and because the company is continually updating and improving functionality. The ease of creating reports and pulling the information we need is my favorite thing about Bloomerang, followed by how easy it is to get technical support when we need it.

Cons

It is never fun to transition CRM software, and we had been with our previous provider for 15 years. We had a lot of data, and much of it was not maintained as well as I would have liked. But, Bloomerang met a rushed time line and we had what we needed to move forward as an organization. While we're very happy with Bloomerang, I would like to have a less clunkly way to track tribute gifts, and to produce letters to notificants in Bloomerang.

Wow Jane! Thank you for the jam packed insightful feedback. We have the best customers, thank you much.

Good Value and Ease of Use Make it Exceptional

I often recommend Bloomerang to my peers. For me, it is the best fundraising decision we have made. As Finance Director, I am also tasked with fundraising efforts. I have fundraising experience as an employee with a variety of non-profit organizations including Junior Achievement, a county hospital, United Way, a community foundation, a community mental health center, and now at a community action agency. While each organization has had their own nuances, the systems I have helped purchase at each pale in comparison to Bloomerang. It is by far the best software I have used based merely on its effectiveness, ease of use, and ability to guide the fundraising growth of our organization.

Pros

As a non-profit organization we are constantly having to have multiple employees help with the fundraising initiatives. We have found this software to be very user friendly. I am able to train staff to use it in a very short amount of time. Having an effective tracking database has been critical to good donor communications. The integration of the email functionality has definitely added value not only to our fundraising efforts but also our communication efforts in the communities we serve. Bloomerang is the very foundation we use grow our donor base. It also easily lets us see how we are doing with our efforts year over year. I also easily created reports to help guide our board of directors and our Executive Director for meetings with particular donors.

Cons

It would be nice if there were a few more 'stock' reports that generated.

Thank you Susan for recommending us! I'm curious what additional stock reports you'd like to see?

• Likelihood to recommend9.00/10

Some limitations, but ultimately we are quite satisfied with Bloomerang, Live Chat Help is stellar

While building reports in Bloom is somewhat tricky (which I know is the same for all donor database programs), it is a remarkably helpful tool. The fast, friendly, and knowledgeable help from the "Live Chat" folks makes navigating these reports INFINITELY easier.

Pros

Initially, what I liked most about Bloomerang was the simple, attractive, and somewhat intuitive user interface. After a few years of using Bloom, however, I have to say that their online chat support is outstanding. Truly it is the absolute best online support team that I have ever experienced for any website or webservice.

Cons

We are a membership based institution which is slightly different niche of non-profit. Bloom isn't set up for that, but we've made some workarounds. A serious drawback is their lack of ability to handle class and event registration without setting up a new appeal for each program. They also cannot offer program registration with both paid AND free admission, depending on membership status. Sadly, I haven't discovered any program or plug -in that's able to do this. It's either all-paid or all-free registrations, not both.

Thanks Melissa for the honest feedback. I'll make sure to get in touch if things change on our end. Happy to hear you've been able to lean on Support!

Donor Management Can Be Functional ... and Fun

The reporting and tracking features make forecasting and budgeting process so much easier. I also love the extras like generosity level and True Givers. These bonuses have helped me track down some great new donors.

Pros

I came for using another donor management software that was dull and reports were impossible to obtain. My first view of Bloomerang had me falling in love with it's interface. It doesn't just work right, it functions the way I think. And it's so pretty. I don't know about you but I need something that I stare into for hours to be easy on the eyes and Bloomerang's color scheme and playfulness makes...

Cons

Not much I don't like about it but if I had to pick out one thing: I wish there was Social Media integration with more than just Twitter - IG and FB would seal the deal. Being able to produce an e-blast that translated to a FB or IG post would be ideal.

What a delightful review, thank you Paula!

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

Bloomerang is the affordable and easy-to-use software you've been waiting for!

Pros

The dashboard! I live there most of my days. It's so customizable. How you track your constituents, whether they are a business or individual/household, is completely open-ended. It's scalable. The reporting feature is essential to any software. Bloomerang has nailed it. They even have scheduled reports as a function. MailChimp integration = a life saver. Bloomerang's email feature is tremendous, but I use MailChimp regularly. Send an email through MailChimp and track the interaction in Bloomerang, all automatically. So efficient!

Cons

I wish there was a way to sync Bloomerang with our ticketing software. That was my biggest question to the developers of ticketing and Bloomerang. More options for merchant solutions. It's limited to some of the most expensive in the market. I would be able to use even more Bloomerang features if they integrated with CardPointe.

• Likelihood to recommend9.00/10

A great product, a great addition to our organization.

Overall a great experience, I am very pleased with the software and am glad we made the decision to use Bloomerang.

Pros

I love how much data Bloomerang tracks and how easy it is to extract. The product is very intuitive and it makes thanking donors and tracking emails/interactions very easy. Several updates have been made and features added since our organization started using it, and I appreciate them listening to their customers to make the changes requested.

Cons

The list of people under "Tributes" cannot be searched or sorted by alpha order. Makes it difficult to determine whether someone has already been listed so not to make a duplicate entry. Cannot change a person's Tribute listing from "In Honor" to "In Memory", must create a new Tribute individual.

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

Very solid CRM for mid-sized nonprofits

My favorite thing about Bloomerang is that it makes pulling reports accessible to a much wider group of people than our previous systems did. We used to need dedicated analysts to pull reports for the fundraising team, but with Bloomerang, even our most technologically challenged team members are willing to try running a report on their own.

Pros

My organization has been using Bloomerang for almost 5 years now. We choose it because we wanted a software that could help us manage a major donor cultivation strategy and a mass-marketing/email strategy at the same time. This software was the only one that we found that could do both of those things well. In the years that we've used Bloomerang, we've grown substantially (from a small-mid nonprofit to a fairly large one). It's been exciting to watch Bloomerang grow with us over those same years. They keep adding new features that address our growing needs. We originally thought Bloomerang might be the best fit software for a couple years, but we're still very satisfied and have realized that it can meet our growing needs for many more years.

Cons

There are some things that we have struggled with over the years, but most have been addressed with recent upgrades to the Bloomerang system. Our current biggest annoyance is that it's hard to filter out mass emails when looking at a donor timeline. We have a workaround for that, so it's not been a major challenge to date.

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

Fantastic Software for Nonprofits!

Again, this software has been extremely beneficial to our organization!

Pros

Bloomerang has been a game changer for our organization. Our old software was essentially a slightly fancier version of excel with very limited options for tracking donor information and a time-consuming process for pulling reports of any kind. Also, we were limited to only the reports they provided and could not customize our reports in any way. Our favorite thing about Bloomerang is the fact that...

Cons

We pay extra for the wealth screening tool but haven't always found it to be the most accurate. I'm not sure this is worth what we pay for it - or, we just need to take the time for someone to learn more about how to use it properly! Also, while we do use Bloomerang to send all of our receipts/letters, we haven't quite made the leap to sending emails through Bloomerang. There doesn't seem to be quite as many design choices as we would like, but again it's most likely just something we need to take the time to learn.

Bloomerang for a small 2 person office

We use Bloomerang as CRM and Donor Database, we use the enewsletter functions, online forms.

Pros

User friendly for non database experts, easy reporting, easy production of thank you letters etc.

Cons

I am pleased. I am sure I don't use it to full capacity. I need to learn more about if there is any easy way to do ticketing. I have used Eventbrite for ticketing as their process is easier. I have used Give Lively for Peer to Peer fundraising. So there is room to add additional features to Bloomerang.

Great Software for Non-Profits

Bloomerang is very much intuitive and easy to use. I love the fact that creating and also reporting with custom field is so simple and it truly allows you to customize it to fit whatever your needs might be rather than only having a few standard fields that something else decided was best. We are big on sending out emailers and having integrated email capabilities has save me and my coworkers a ton of time and headaches from having to purchase another solution. Another benefit that you didnt realize you needed until you tried it is the interactions with your members are automatically recorded in the donor database.

Pros

I really like the reporting function. The reports are easy to create and even easier to download as an Excel spreadsheet. I also really like the dashboard function. This software is very easy to use and even easier to teach others how to us it. The customer service is great as well. They are very responsive and always ensure that you get an answer and not only that but make sure you understand how...

Cons

I don't like that you cant sort the letters in alphabetical order when creating them. This is a BIG pain when printing off 100s of them because you have to sort them by hand after you print. For some of our big letter runs like annual appeal and membership reminders, we use a program to create our address labels. Sorting over 5,000 letters in alphabetical order is very time consuming. Other than that there isnt really much I dont like about Bloomerang. I have used countless different applications in my career and this one definiteyl ranks high on that list.

Bloomerang Review

In one word- easy.

Pros

My favorite feature of Blooomerang is their customer service. It's fast and so so helpful. This software is capable of a lot, but sometimes its hard to recognize of understand what you can make it do. Most things have obvious buttons or functions, but sometimes you can edit or twist those functions to best serve your organization, and it sometimes is not obvious how to do that. But if you contact customer support, they can solve any problem quickly, and if they can't, they go and figure it out and get back to you. It's amazing! I've never had such consistently positive interactions with tech support services, and I really appreciate that most about this software.

Cons

It's a very specific fault, but the fact that we can't add interactions or notes to a household so it shows up on all connected accounts. It has to be however many separate accounts that show up under one feed. An example of when this can be frustrating is when an entire household of four attends an event, and we want that to show up on their timeline, we have to go in and add that interaction to each individual account. It would save a lot of time if we could make one interaction in the household that shows up in each account- adding one interaction over creating four separate ones.

Game Changer

It was a game changer for our organization. It's probably the only software we use that the entire team (a 9 person staff) agrees on and enjoys using. The Bloomerang team did a wonderful job of onboarding our organization and we really felt like we could access the full power of the software from day one.

Pros

Bloomerang is easy to use and keeps our development efforts on track. I especially like the engagement level meter and the integration with Donor Search. Reports have never been easier and are wonderfully dynamic. The integration with our website is seamless, so donors who give online go right into the database and we're immediately notified of every gift. Donors have been surprised when I sometimes email them a personal thank you before they've even logged off of their computer - in addition to the automated thank you they receive right from Bloomerang. It's the one software I actually look forward to logging into each day.

Cons

Very few cons. We are a school and I wish it integrated with our registration software. Other than that, love it!