Bloomerang Logo

Bloomerang

Donor management software and database for nonprofits.

Bloomerang Reviews

4.7

1.2K

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend9.15/10

Reviews by rating

I appreciate having such a comprehensive database of my constituents. The reports are so useful for gathering data for comparison or building reports for the Board and fairly easy to figure out.
I love how user-friendly this CRM is, and have really been enjoying its reporting and analytical abilities. Getting the information I need from the constituent data we have has never been easier.
We migrated our records seamlessly into Bloomerang and have hit the floor running. The customer service is top notch, super responsive and helpful.
After pleading with them for weeks for having missed the window by a couple of days they have not returned dozens of calls and just say "it's policy" even during a global pandemic and recession.
They have predatory contracts and very shady renewal schemes that lock you in and give you no way to cancel.
Working with Bloomerang has been the most frustrating experience. Every week there is a new excuse for why they are behind.

1,277 reviews

Patrick B.

Principal

Donor relations decoded

Transcript

Patrick B.: Hi. I'm Patrick, a nonprofit consultant and strategist. I get Bloomerang five stars. For...

MS

Mollie S.

Development Director

Individual & Family Services, 11-50 employees

Bloomerang gets me

Transcript

Mollie S.: Hi, I'm Mollie, and I'm a development director in the human services industry, and I give...

Nic M.

Education Management, 201-500 employees

For organizations small and large, Bloomerang is good fit.

Our organization moved from Raiser's Edge to Bloomerang just over a year ago. If you are familiar with Raiser's Edge, you likely understand that this is a massive transition to undertake both technologically and fundamentally--but I'm glad we did. We moved away from Raiser's Edge because we needed software that was powerful yet highly intuitive and didn't ship with a price tag that is difficult to...

Pros

Greater than the Bloomerang CRM itself is the company's incredible support team that is not only quick to respond and meaningfully engage, but does so humanely. Too many vendors staff their support teams with specialists who are technically proficient, but lack the ability to translate their knowledge into kind and understanding support. Without this type of support, clients like me would be left frustrated,...

Cons

There are a lot of strategic opportunities for the Bloomerang team to take advantage of as they continue to grow as a company, and an area where I'd like to see growth is with third-party integrations. There is currently a MailChimp integration in the pipeline, but I'd also love to see the door open to platform access through API integration services such as Zapier, which would allow customers like me to easily and securely connect Bloomerang to other key software in use within our department and organization.

Nic, you rock! Good news: we now have a Zapier and Mailchimp integration! https://bloomerang.co/features/integrations/

JM

Jennifer M.

Education Management, 501-1,000 employees

Ease of use and excellent support

CEC was brand new to fundraising when I arrived and having a true CRM with donate page and payment processing functionality was the primary objective. Tracking gifts has been easy as has reporting. The moves management structure and tools ie notes, interactions , task reminders are excellent. Working on an import currently to begin engaging with alumni. Have had excellent support throughout. I also like your many webinars.

Pros

Intuitive and easy to deploy, like the interface with its plain language and clean, clear graphics and look/feel of the site. Easy data entry. Easy to schedule reports. Customer support is excellent. Donate pages easy to set up once workarounds were developed for our environment.

Cons

CEC is unique in that it is like 9 separate orgs under one umbrella. Being forced into one name on our donate pages was a challenge but we were able to find a workaround, although it was clunky and time consuming to do. The donate form isn't the most attractive and I don't like being forced into those impact statements. Understand why they are there but as a public charter school it's harder to devise such one to one menu options. In fact it encourages/trains people into transactional fundraising mentalities away from the importance of relationships and story.

RC

Reena C.

Philanthropy, 1-10 employees

STAY AWAY!! One of the worst companies I have ever worked with.

Pros

There are not a lot of pros to this extremely simple and basic software. As a small nonprofit just starting out, we thought kind of database would be useful, but it has such limited capability and is not user-friendly at all. There are much better products out there with much more capability and donation and social media integration.

Cons

Our experience with this company has been extremely negative and has caused a lot of stress and problem where it was not needed. While they provide adequate online support, as a 20-year advancement professional who has used many CRMs, this software and its capability is very limited. Our account manager and the CEO have also proven to be inflexible and unkind.   We received our renewal invoice 26...

If you're reading this, know that we hate to see outcomes such as this - and as you can see from the other reviews on our profile, this situation is extremely rare. For what it's worth, the BBB reviewed this complaint and afterwards conferred upon us an A+ rating.

LB

Lisa B.

Education Management, 51-200 employees

Very Pleased with this Product

Bloomerang is simple, intuitive, playful, and inviting. The few problems I have had have been solved very easily through Online Chat. Online Chat is SUCH a wonderful feature - as a brand new development officer, it gave me confidence to explore the software and try solutions first, because even thought the Help & Videos is a great feature, sometimes you just need to chat live with an expert. Especially when time is of the essence. I really am so thrilled with the responsiveness of the chat team!

Pros

I was brand new to fundraising/development when I started at my organization. My predecessor had used a different CRM and I found it very clunky and complicated. I immediately started looking around for a replacement. I found Bloomerang through their online webinars, did more research and vetting, and ending up switching as soon as I could.

Cons

As I've gotten used to the software, I'm so in love with it I can't think of anything I would improve!

HR

Hamsa R.

Individual & Family Services, 201-500 employees

User-Friendly Software

Other than the one con mentioned above, I have loved using Bloomerang. I have been working as a non-profit database person for almost ten years now and I cannot see wanting to change software programs anytime soon.

Pros

As someone who works at a non-profit, the biggest pro of Bloomerang is how user-friendly it is. Anyone, at any level of software experience, can look at the database and learn information about our donors. They can also learn how to use the software quickly and efficiently. Bloomerang's customer service is also amazing. They always get back to us right away and since I'm in the software all day, it takes a weight off knowing they are there to assist.

Cons

As my organization's admin, the biggest con right now is the Relationships Tab, specifically when it comes to organizations. Not being able to assign multiple contacts and categories of contacts makes things difficult. We are a small organization so I'm able to work around it as best as I can, but we usually have one contact for grants who we need to contact via email and another contact for acknowledgement letters. Sometimes we even have a third contact at an organization who is our employee giving and volunteer contact. There is currently no way to differentiate who we want to send a communication to without adjusting it manually. This is the biggest downside and the biggest complaint I get from Development Officers.

IA

Ian A.

Mental Health Care, 1-10 employees

Very satisfied customer! I would recommend 100% to any nonprofit!

Transitioning to new donor management software is always a bit scary because of how valuable donor information is to any nonprofit, but the customer service/transition team was excellent and communicated incredibly well throughout the whole process. Everything from pricing to the timeline was laid out and explained very well. Overall the process could not have gone any better, now two + years in we are still very happy.

Pros

This software is very user friendly. I have used three other donor management platforms in my career and all were more complicated than they needed to be concerning donor management and reporting - Bloomerang has been great on these fronts. Training new staff and interns on the software has been super easy as well.

Cons

There really is not a feature that we do not like or anything that has caused us any real concern in using.

ES

Erika S.

Museums and Institutions, 1-10 employees

Bloomerang is Wonderful

My overall experience with Bloomerang has been wonderful. The functionality has been smooth, a time saver, and a wiz as helping my team and I interact with donors. I was thrilled that the software is so easy to use that I did not have to invest a bunch of time into teaching our new head of development when they were hired--they easily figured everything out on their own with very minimal coaching. Not only that, when a problem was encountered, the support staff has been some of the best support staff I have called--they have fixed our issues every time.

Pros

The features that have been most impactful to our small organization has been the seamless functionality of the Bloomerang Software. Drop down menus and easy to navigate dashboard has made the donor interactions easy and shorter on time than other software we have used.

Cons

Of the great things I have encountered using this software, one downside has been the amount of customization included in giving forms. I have mild experience with CSS and coding--so I don't feel confident creating my own, but it would be nice to at least manage the font or bolding of event sponsorships so they stand out. As they are now, every level of sponsorship for my event is a paragraph of text with the amount smushed into the description of that they get at that sponsorship level.

JG

Jim G.

Bloomerang review

Easy to use and generate meaningful results. Easy to see progress and where we stand.

Pros

Really love the UI. The timeline is clear and intuitive. Donor summary is also very well laid out. It would be good if it could be configured by the user. The same comment applies to the organization dashboard, user configurability is needed. Very much appreciate the donor stewarding suggestions on the dashboard. Report generation is about the most intuitive I've seen and allows you to download into Excel with two clicks. Also the forms make out website a real resources for staff, volunteers, and donors. Also, once you get the hang of it importing is really easy too.

Cons

Not a good software for tracking volunteer activities. Apart from logging hours, the tracking, scheduling are really awkward work-arounds. Really want to configure the organization dashboard as well.

JB

Jacquie B.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

So glad we switched to Bloomerang!

We are a better Community Engagement team because of Bloomerang. We are growing our individual fundraising and using the tool to help us plan and track and raise more money. The auto surveys, email tracking, grant management, notes and reports are all huge improvements over other systems we have used. We frequently express our happiness with Bloomerang and gratitude for having found the system.

Pros

Our team is using Bloom (as we call it) to track our activity and our fundraising. We have set up Major Gift and Grant Management. We use the surveys. We track emails. We are frequent attendees at webinars. I call it another member of the team, a very valuable one at that. The support is excellent too. We have depended on it often in our first year. And , the Bloom team is open to user ideas on how the product might be better.

Cons

Any glitches along the way were solved thanks to the excellent support - by call or live chat.

KG

Keith G.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

Best product I've used out of the box!

I am absolutely thrilled with Bloomerang! Not only does everything work out of the box with this software, but the technical support is AMAZING!!! I've never worked with a better technical support team for any product. Ever. There are not many people familiar with fundraising in the rural area we operate out of, so I wanted to find a product that would guide you along the way in case I ever left and...

Pros

This platform is super easy to use, and will meet all of your basic needs right out of the box. So many other platforms require days of setup and customization, not Bloomerang. Everything works the way it is supposed to without needing to know how to do backend coding or extensive customizations. But perhaps the thing I like the best is that it prompts the Development Team on actions to take, who to reach out to, and areas to keep an eye on. It's like putting on the bumper guards at the bowling alley so you'll always be successful if you actually use the software.

Cons

My least favorite thing about the software is when you have to search out other products to do simple tasks. Really it only impacts one place - online forms, which includes online giving. The forms built into Bloomerang are fully functional but very basic. I'd like to have the option to be able to customize the forms without having to find another product to use.

SF

Stephanie F.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 501-1,000 employees

Best Database for no-profit cultivation

Top notch from software, to pricing, to customer service. I've never seen a company so in tune to what their user wants and needs.

Pros

EVERYTHING!! I cannot say enough good about this product. The customer service is out of this world and I can ask a question via chat and have an answer immediately. THey are constantly gathering ideas for upgrades from users and rolling them out. It's extremely easy to use, compared to our old Raiser's Edge Software. The price is less than any other product we researched and they are always following up to ensure our happiness. The software caters to prospect cultivation and offers tons of preloaded reports or that. The ease of creating a report will leave you speechless.

Cons

I miss my batch feature, but they are working on creating that and should release it in the future. Otherwise, I haven't had any issues. I'm constantly referring and recommending this product and they reward you with each referral.

LJ

Lindsey J.

Education Management, 11-50 employees

Best Bang for Your Buck

Bloomerang handles not only our team's contact management but is also the financial hub for all of our donations. It is now a tool essential for our department's analytics and fundraising team. We can't live without it!

Pros

I like that this software is extremely user-friendly. There is a multitude of tutorials, articles, and narratives of explanation of functions of this product. You will never question how to use this product!

Cons

I do wish this product had more add-on features such as texting, social media tracking, and a mobile app.

AC

Angie C.

Love it!!!

I switched to Bloomerang after being with another database system for a little more than a year. I have never looked back and have recommended Bloomerang to so many other nonprofits in my area. I have never had a problem that couldn't be figured out or worked around.

Pros

The clean look, ease of use and ever-updating features are wonderful. The additional trainings on many topics related to non-profits are a bonus. I love that I never have to encounter the word "query" when running reports! I also appreciate that many features are automatically included so I don't feel "nickel and dimed" every time I need to integrate new features.

Cons

I wish there was an easy "shopping cart" feature that would integrate with my website so I could easily sell tickets to events without having to manually each purchase.

SS

Summer S.

We love Bloomerang!

Overall, we are extremely happy with Bloomerang! Switching to this product has made our daily processes much smoother.

Pros

We greatly appreciate the ease of this product. It is simple to learn, simple to use every day. We integrated from a very outdated and very messy product. Bloomerang's team was very thorough in cleaning up our data and helping us along this entire process. Bloomerang's support is also excellent!

Cons

Occasionally, our team struggles with the reporting element in Bloomerang. For the most part, we are able to get everything we need from reports. However, there are times where the reporting feature is a bit complex and difficult to use. We are thankful that support is available to assist when issues occur.

CR

Christi R.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 201-500 employees

Very solid CRM for mid-sized nonprofits

My favorite thing about Bloomerang is that it makes pulling reports accessible to a much wider group of people than our previous systems did. We used to need dedicated analysts to pull reports for the fundraising team, but with Bloomerang, even our most technologically challenged team members are willing to try running a report on their own.

Pros

My organization has been using Bloomerang for almost 5 years now. We choose it because we wanted a software that could help us manage a major donor cultivation strategy and a mass-marketing/email strategy at the same time. This software was the only one that we found that could do both of those things well. In the years that we've used Bloomerang, we've grown substantially (from a small-mid nonprofit to a fairly large one). It's been exciting to watch Bloomerang grow with us over those same years. They keep adding new features that address our growing needs. We originally thought Bloomerang might be the best fit software for a couple years, but we're still very satisfied and have realized that it can meet our growing needs for many more years.

Cons

There are some things that we have struggled with over the years, but most have been addressed with recent upgrades to the Bloomerang system. Our current biggest annoyance is that it's hard to filter out mass emails when looking at a donor timeline. We have a workaround for that, so it's not been a major challenge to date.

JW

Jane W.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Best CRM for mid-sized non profit

Our overall experience with Bloomerang has been terrific. We have much better reporting functionality, we track interactions more effectively. We create make use of all the features, and chose event software that integrates directly into BLoomerang this year, which has saved us a world of duplicate entry. We're very happy users.

Pros

I've been in fundraising for over 25 years and have used a lot of different CRM systems for fundraising. Bloomerang is my favorite because it is intuitive, well-designed, and because the company is continually updating and improving functionality. The ease of creating reports and pulling the information we need is my favorite thing about Bloomerang, followed by how easy it is to get technical support when we need it.

Cons

It is never fun to transition CRM software, and we had been with our previous provider for 15 years. We had a lot of data, and much of it was not maintained as well as I would have liked. But, Bloomerang met a rushed time line and we had what we needed to move forward as an organization. While we're very happy with Bloomerang, I would like to have a less clunkly way to track tribute gifts, and to produce letters to notificants in Bloomerang.

Wow Jane! Thank you for the jam packed insightful feedback. We have the best customers, thank you much.

JB

Jennifer B.

Fund-Raising, 11-50 employees

Bloomerang makes my job easier and more fun!

As a one-person development department, I have to manage multiple tasks and Bloomerang has been the best way to streamline, track, report our inputs and, most importantly, make sure we are implementing adequate donor cultivation and stewardship.

Pros

I love the ease of use, the extensive training opportunities, reporting features, interaction tracking, email that connects to donor records, and the dashboard where I can look at our progress and tasks every day.

Cons

I wish the donation page was easier to customize. I'd like to add more imagery and thank you messaging. It would also be nice if there were more email templates.

Wow Jennifer! What a well rounded review. Thank you so much for the kind words. We have the best customers!

LM

Liz M.

An Important Investment

I love Bloomerang. I've used it as a one person Development Team for a couple years and for the first time in our organization's 45 year history we are able to track gifts without a messy spreadsheet. We now have added a team member who is finding it easy to dive in with all the great on-demand trainings they offer. I look forward to using more of Bloomerang's tools now that we have a little more capacity.

Pros

Bloomerang makes it super easy to track donor info and run reports to manage your fundraising data. The team is great--warm, wonderful people who understand nonprofit fundraising needs. Their frequent webinars are excellent to keep you up on new trends, ideas, and sharing best practices and their on-demand classes on how to use the database are extremely helpful.

Cons

Importing interactions from our custom program software can get tricky and often results in duplicate accounts that we later have to try to clean up. And I wish there could be prompt for monthly recurring gifts that made it easier to enter them, rather than having to look them up and add each payment--there's got to be an easier way for this once a recurring gift is set up.

I love this Liz! Thank you so much for the thoughtful feedback.

MM

Maranne McDade M.

Philanthropy, 1-10 employees

Bloomerang 2 years later

We have been very satisfied.

Pros

The web-based interface is fantastic. The evolution of flexibility and email marketing agility is not growing as fast as our organization's ability to maximize it. But, at this price point, Bloomerang has proven to be a very useful mechanism for volunteer engagement, donor development and stewardship, and for developing reports to enable us to better steward our donors and increase the number of donors overall..

Cons

Bloomerang is a little clunky. As we have gotten better at using it, our end-user satisfaction has lowered. We know more and want to be able to do more. For example, navigating in and out of email templates and copying and searching for past templates used is slow and multi-step, requiring back to the beginning navigation. Online forms development and email creation are somewhat "clunky".

JG

James G.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

Fantastic simple donor mgt solution for small nonprofits

We have loved Bloomerang since our conversion 18 months ago. The fact that they continue to add features and request input from customers is great. Highly recommend the solution for other small organizations.

Pros

The ease of use and cloud-based platform make this solution the perfect donor management system for our small nonprofit ministry. We love the key features and the team is terrific.

Cons

Since it is a "newer" solution, it isn't as feature-rich as some long-time industry players, but that also means it isn't overly complex, which is a plus for us.

BC

Bryan C.

Civic & Social Organization, 11-50 employees

Fantastic support, easy to set up, easy to teach

Pros

Bloomerang is a breeze to navigate and search, with a detailed (but not overwhelming) summary view of each constituent, organization, and household in the database. When someone asks, "Who is this person?" I can tell them their top-line donation history, how we met, their capacity to give more, and who they're connected to, in less than a minute and with no effort at all. I can't overstate how intuitive...

Cons

Bloomerang is easy to use -- at the cost of being fully customizable. I am not a programmer, so this exchange works out mostly great for me and my team, but I can imagine a programmer growing frustrated by the constraints in place to keep the platform easy to use. Take one example: you can add multiple addresses (email or physical) for each constituent, but there is no "note" field for each address....

LL

Linda L.

Bloomerang Shines In My Toolkit

The transition was very smooth and I was immediately able to use the features to do my work. Training guides were easy to understand; there was very little ramp-up time required. I was updating and adding constituent records in no time. Creating and printing acknowledgement letters, and sharing reports with my team was accomplished in short time with professional and informative results. I am a one-person shop and Bloomerang allows me to manage my time well and to deliver results.

Pros

Ease of adding and updating constituent records - very little time required to master these skills. Report writing simplified Email templates easy to use Retention report updates daily and I see it as soon as I sign on Flexibility for me to use anywhere

Cons

As a new user, edit options were not available for acknowledgment letters with out re-running letters. I am having a hard time identifying what I did not like as I really enjoy using Bloomerang. Input was given to tech support and software changes were made based on user expectations.

SQ

Sara Q.

Individual & Family Services, 11-50 employees

Bloomerang helps my organization with our fundraising program - which accounts for 60% of our annual revenue. It has been extremely valuable and we are very happy with it.

Pros

Bloomerang has been a great product from the beginning. It was easy to convert to (just a few minor hiccups) and it's been easy to learn to use. Over the four years my organization has had Bloomerang as our donor database, we have had multiple staff changes affecting users of this program. In all cases, new staff members were able to learn and utilize Bloomerang's many features. The Chat feature is particularly helpful as it can walk us through complicated donor reports and mail merges.

Cons

It would be helpful to have more integrated event software that incorporates all aspects of managing an event, including auction item procurement, bidding and acknowledgment. We asked Bloomerang to provide us with details on their event add-on and never received a response. At this time we use Give Smart to support our events.

WS

Whitney S.

Bloomerang Software Review

I think Bloomerang is the best mid-tear CRM there is. If you are looking for a data management software that doesn't break the bank and does things you need it to do, then Bloomerang is it. I have actually recommended Bloomerang to other colleges.

Pros

It does everything you need it too, for a fraction of what Gift Works cost. I keep all our donor information in the system, run monthly reports using that information, and everything in between. The new feature that we just started using is the "Automatic Acknowledgment Letter" function. We have our standard thank you letter that we inputted in the system, and it will come up when you enter in a donor gift with that donor's information already added to the sections you need it. Then you can choose to edit the letter to make it more personal for the donor. Then we print it right off and it is ready to go. Super simple, and saves us so much time!

Cons

At times, you may feel overwhelmed at all the things Bloomerang can do for your non-profit. When I first started working within Bloomerang, it seem a little complicated, but that is where their customer service steps in. If you have ANY question about the program, they give you a number that you can call any time and they will walk you though what you need step by step. I have called the number multiple times, and every time they were able to help me verbally and give me the written directions as well so I can have them if I ever have the problem again. Honestly, I have a "Bloomerang Binder" full of these helpful directions.

Lisa N.

Great CRM

Bloomerang is ideal for agencies that are looking for a straightforward interface with the ability to customize fields and reports to your needs. Their social media integration, relationship tracking, and interaction fields takes our ability to get to know donors to another level. The import function, once you get the hang of it, is an incredible time saver. The ability to embed online donations via a custom Bloomerang form into our website has increased our online donations significantly. The program is continually improving and the customer service is excellent.

Pros

-User-friendly interface -Pretty easy for beginners to pick up -I love how you can make relationships between people (very nice to pull up a church and find out what volunteers and donors attend that church or go to that book club) and put people into households -The giving summary on the donor profile and dashboard is a nice visual. -I like the ability to create tasks (but it would be nice if...

Cons

-Report formatting: All reports export to excel, but it only exports the table and information. It would be nice if it at least included a title (so you remember what you’re looking at), and maybe a time and date it was run. -Reporting: The new reporting function is very powerful and you can pull great information from it. I do have trouble with how Bloomerang collapses each query. With more complex...

Hey Lisa, good news: you now have the ability to edit individual letters and manage duplicates! https://bloomerang.co/blog/design-segment-and-personalize-thank-you-letters-in-bloomerang/ https://bloomerang.co/blog/new-feature-real-time-duplicate-constituent-management/