JIRA Reviews

JIRA

Project & Issue Tracking Software - See why we're #1!

4.36/5 (8,833 reviews)

Pros
  • I like the ease of viewing all the issues on one dashboard that eased delegating tasks to lower management and proved to be a wonderful tool for project management.Shahzad M.Read the full review
  • I love the workflow templates if offers out of the box. Jira also supports Kanban boards and has an awesome mobile app which can keep you up to date anywhere.Davit K.Read the full review
  • It’s simple and it’s great if you want to monitor something. The best thing about JIRA is that it allows people to use their tools and templates which most of the software companies don’t allow.Binujaya P.Read the full review
Cons
  • For a non developer user there is too many things and options you get lost in the middle of it. So much complexity in terms of customization that me, personally end up being a little bit lost.Jorge C.Read the full review
  • The worst thing (which may be a shortcoming of our admin team rather than the software itself) is the inability to customize the name of each workflow step.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
  • There are also strange bugs or missing features that we have come across that are widely requested by a large number of users that seem to be stuck in the pipeline for years.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Julian Xhokaxhiu

Go Agile with JIRA!

Reviewed 2019-12-08

Jira is very easy to use from the user perspective, as well as operating it from the Admin perspective. Overall I personally suggest this product, although its price not being very welcoming, it's definitely worth the money! If you're a very large organization you definitely will want to try Jira.

Pros
Jira is a very good platform for organizing your team and projects using Agile/Scrum or Agile/Kanban. Whichever option you will choose you are covered! With its extensible platform through plugins you will never get tired of Jira. The installation is pretty much straightforward and with latest versions you can also make it HA, for instance on AWS, quite easily.

Cons
Although the product is very mature, feels also like a big giant monolith although its plugin architecture. Also, plugins are too much expensive for just simple features. There should be much control from the Atlassian Marketplace, which should follow more an App Store logic like Apple's or Google's one.

Glenn Beierle

Great Collaboration Tool For Teams

Reviewed 2020-04-16

Great way to collaborate with team members and outside vendors on ticketing and projects, with a lot of integration opportunities. Would highly recommend to users not currently using JIRA.

Pros
It is a feature packed program that helps teams collaborate using a ticketing system. Much easier way to work with team members to fix issues, deploy updates and collaborate. Using this system between employees, departments, consultants and others we have been able to streamline collaboration on projects. It also has a lot of integration, including with Slack, to expedite notifications.

Cons
There is definitely a learning curve with this project and it can be a little hard to get the hang of, but once you do, the UI of the program will make sense.

Anonymous

Jira Atlassian software online is the best but could easily be so much better!

Reviewed 2019-12-11

Pros
I like how I can organize my team, so we're rowing in the right direction when it comes to software development. With Jira, it is easy to check the board for what the team is currently doing, what is not started yet, and what needs to be pushed across the finish line. It is honestly the best software out there for what it does. Backlog grooming is done well using this software as well. I like being able to customize swim lanes.

Cons
If you want to do anything more than just customize how many swimlanes you have on your active jira board, it gets complex really quick with ticket statuses. I often times cannot do what I want to do without going into a million screens to figure it out. And even then, I end up not having enough permission to do what I want to customize what is displayed when you drag a ticket from one column to another, etc. Nightmare. Also, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Jira, get with the program and follow standard linking convention. If I link to a web site that is NOT on the same domain, open it in a new tab or window. DO NOT open it in the same browser tab. This is just wrong. Local links (same domain) can open in the same tab, but foreign links should open in a new tab. Period. It drives me crazy when I click on a link in a comment and I get busy and then wonder where my backlog went! This happens way more than I'd like to admit. Also, one more simple game-changing request that the software currently doesn't do: When I'm backlog grooming, I'd like to group select a bulk set of tasks and figure out how much time estimate in aggregate they all are. Nowhere can I do this easily unless I literally make a fake sprint and shove them all in it. PLEASE add a summation at the bottom of the screen for when multiple tasks are highlighted, like how spreadsheets sum selected cells automatically! I should NOT have to go to great lengths just to see what several task estimates/story points sum to.

Likelihood to recommend: 6/10

Tigran Hambardzumyan

The most Advanced Managment Software

Reviewed 2020-03-05

Overall this is the great software for Product-process management and for issue tracking.

Pros
Firstly Jira is the most advanced task management software in my opinion. It has tons of valuable features for issue tracking, has interfaces like scrum, kanban and etc. It has simple mode for an starting projects and very advanced for more complex projects. One of the great things it is the editable everything e.x statuses which helps to my my team to do process more likly.

Cons
Using the Jira API it has little drawbacks for example complex documentation. It does not have major language libraries and sometimes the the API is not stabile.

Richy Orozco

Best Bang For Your Buck

Reviewed 2020-03-25

It's the best software out there to manage a team so overall I am very happy and so are all of my developers.

Pros
Jira makes it super easy to manage a team and helps each developer stay on top of their tasks, keep track of everything they are doing, and easily communicate with other team members.

Cons
Maybe a bit of help with integration would be amazing for anyone that has no idea what they are doing but otherwise it is AMAZING.

Marty Shultz

Very Customizable

Reviewed 2020-02-06

Over all its good and easy to use. Takes a bit of work to tailor it to a process and work out ways to enforce people to enter all the data. It's nice and gets the job done.

Pros
The Price is great and its easy to use. Another great thing is that it all works in a browser and we can set every field up in a way to work with our company practices and policies. Its also good with integrating into other solutions that we have set up.

Cons
The way it attaches files to the reports. It's just a jumbled mess of files with no dates and history with out looking into the case and doing some research on the issue. Also the file limit is so small that we can't even attach the files we want half the time and have to point to some other data storage location.

Nicholas Petri

Overfeatured for our purpose

Reviewed 2020-02-06

I am a big believer in product management software like Jira and strongly recommend using something like it, but I think there are other, simpler products that accomplish the same thing with better usability.

Pros
Jira has a ton of advanced functionality around custom fields, linking different objects, analyzing historical trends that has occasionally been useful. It also integrates pretty seamlessly with other Atlassian products.

Cons
I think the product is over-featured for our purposes which can get in the way of its core functionality. We are a small team and use it very simply, and it's not the most intuitive or straightforward UX for that. I have used other tools that I think are a better fit.

Likelihood to recommend: 6/10

Rijo J Patric

Good Test Management Tool

Reviewed 2020-04-13

Pros
Capability to store Epic, User Story, Task, Sub Task, Test Cases, Defects

Cons
Navigation and UI is little confusing, Administration is little confused

Likelihood to recommend: 5/10

Lucian Morariu

The Task management application

Reviewed 2020-05-07

I loved using JIRA to do my daily task management and communicate with my colleagues.

Pros
I love the Time Tracker add-on, the customizable dashboard and the ability to link projects to BitBucket repositories

Cons
I think they need to work out some restrictions when linking JIRA to BitBucket

Marcel Kattner

Great big project management tool

Reviewed 2020-02-19

At start we had Problems with stories and epics because sometimes you dont know when you will use it

Pros
- Very much features - for small AND big teams - very good control about the tasks because it is very transparent for every user

Cons
- if someone never worked with project management tool, maybe it is too big for the start if nobody show it and describe it -

Ding Lee

Review on Atlassian JIRA

Reviewed 2020-05-31

Overall, JIRA does the job for our team and even though I am on the Systems Team, we ourselves are mostly users as well. That keeps the headaches in check (as things could be very frustrating when trying to administer the applications. See above for the reasons).

Pros
A team needs a ticket/issue tracking system and JIRA Atlassian seems to be used widely in the industry. As a user, it's easy to use for the most part. Besides having the option of hosting the application in-house, it also has the Cloud edition so from the Systems Team perspective, there's no need for servers, backups, security, keeping the service up (with fault tolerance), etc.

Cons
From the administration aspect of the software, JIRA still has a long way to go: 1) As an administrator, as far as I can see, one can *not* even do such a simple thing as change the Display Name for a user (I suppose it's a "feature" but I can't see why that's a good feature). Instead, an invite is sent out to the user, who can then set the Display Name after signing up. 2) As an administrator, one can login as another user to test permissions. That's normally a nice functionality for administrators. However, for some functionalities, while you are still logged in as another user, you suddenly go back to your normal identity. That's very confusing and thwarts the purpose. One potential good use is being able to login as another user to set/update the Display Name (see #1). 3) Setting permissions is not that easy. I tried to set permissions for an account that's used for scripting (using the REST API) but it seems very difficult (really, it should be easy) to get the permissions done correctly -- sufficient but minimal privileges. 4) The REST API is not great. The online documentation is often outdated and sometimes things don't work (with errors). Even when things run without errors, it might not actually do the thing that it's supposed to do (so you write the code for nothing when you expect it to work).

Adam Fairbanks

Jira software gives structure to our teams' progress

Reviewed 2020-05-13

I've been using Jira for around 10 years. It has the most robust Item profile, item searching with saved searches, workflows with form field dialogs, alerts, charts, etc.

Pros
We use Jira to manage our teams' agile sprints. It makes it very easy to track and document stories and tasks that need to be done. Whenever a new task comes in, it is easy to put it in the backlog to make sure we don't forget about it. Then in sprint planning Jira helps us organize and prioritize our outstanding items into our next sprint. As any changes happen (new items, progress through the workflow, etc.) we are alerted and can easily follow the progress. It's easy to see what other people on the team and on other teams are working on.

Cons
It's still relatively clunky to quickly add a task, either on the website or on the mobile app. It would be nice if most of the common settings could default so 5-6 fields that are almost always the same don't have to be filled out with every new item. Default to the project, current sprint, story or task, assignee, etc.

Jack Estes

First class service desk offering

Reviewed 2020-03-16

We have used this product from the very day we christened our service desk. It has evolved into an enterprise-class, feature-rich ticketing system that we have integrated with several external directories for our customers. So far, we haven't found a requested feature that we couldn't implement easily in Jira and the value proposition is strong. We recently migrated from an on-prem solution to one of their cloud offerings, mostly for ease of customer access, and have been thoroughly pleased.

Pros
Of course there's a little confirmational bias in any review of a product already acquired, but implementing it really was a thoughtful decision. Over the last few years, this product has really matured. When we started with it as an immature FOSS offering, it wasn't really enterprise-class. We were motivated by cost initially, but Atlassian has really grown it. Now with external directory integration, tiered hosting offerings, MSP-level features, and significant customization available, I can't think of another product that beats the value proposition. My most favorite feature? The return on investment. We use this to manage service desk interactions with more than 25 MSP clients, and have never been let down. It costs us less than weekly staff meeting pizza to operate and integration with other Atlassian products is superb.

Cons
Much of the branding customizations fall flat. Inability to resize or edit logos, the prominently featured plugs for Atlassian throughout the UI, and clunky DNS-tricks requires to redirect customer portal URLs to MSP's domain.

Derek Fetsch

Using Jira Software and Service Desk

Reviewed 2020-02-24

We have been using Jira (and Confluence) for over 10 years. We currently have over 500 projects in Jira with a user base around 2000. We do agile web and app software development and run a support desk with kanban. Each team has their own projects with their own specific needs, from workflows, custom fields, permissions, and notifications. We do not use the cloud product, but a 3rd party, hosted, server version.

Pros
Extensibility. Jira really can be all things to all users. There are so many business workflow processes that we have implemented and all in Jira: advanced software development, workflows for processing contracts and invoices, and support work with incidents and service requests with approvals. Lastly, with the large dev community and a large pool of app add-ons, we are confident we could extend Jira to be what we need it to be.

Cons
If you don't understand the principles of Agile software development, there will be parts of using Jira that will be foreign to you and will likely go unused. There is a steep learning curve on the administration-side. With so many functions and features, it can be difficult to know all of your options. The "schemes" that power the project administration can also make it difficult to troubleshoot your setup.

Ryan Roper

Extremely capable project management platform, but almost too flexible

Reviewed 2020-02-11

Overall, it's been a great experience - but that was largely because we understood our own limitations, and kept our customization of the platform to a minimum.

Pros
Jira offers great flexibility: it can be adapted to any custom workflow, and readily supports custom fields/attributes. Also has fantastic API support for external integrations.

Cons
Jira's flexibility is also its achilles' heal. It's relatively easy to create workflows that aren't intuitive, or worse, leave users in "dead end" states that require admin assistance. Further, their implementation of Agile tools is still a bit awkward (probably because they acquired a 3rd-party set of plugins, and didn't really make the corresponding fields native). Finally, Jira's pricing represents a slippery slope - you can get started relatively inexpensively, but adding on options here and there rapidly adds up, and can make alternatives more price-effective.

Likelihood to recommend: 5/10

Usman Khan

Useful to track software project progress

Reviewed 2020-01-23

Overall, I have had a good experience with JIRA. It makes software development easier certainly. But it is by no means a perfect tool. Every team I have worked with that does software development has used this tool, so it is a popular choice for software projects.

Pros
This tool lets you create projects, and subdivide them into smaller projects. This allows for separation of development tasks from product and project management. It has messaging/comments in each ticket that is created, where people can be tagged and notified when their input is required. This makes for collaborative solutions. Informational data objects such as documents, images, zip files, videos can be attached to each ticket to add to the task description. JIRA also has Bitbucket integration, so any software development such as code branches or pull requests are automatically attached to the corresponding ticket if the ticket number is mentioned in the commit message. Pull requests are also automatically linked to the ticket so it is very easy to find corresponding code for a task/ticket.

Cons
JIRA does it's job. The cloud version of the tool can be slow sometimes. The tool does not put dates on every change or addition to a ticket. For example, if you keep making changes to an issue description over time, it does not tag each change with a timestamp or which user made the change . This makes it difficult to track when an addition to the issue description was made, or who made it. Also, in some cases of very large features, the description box can get very convoluted and hard to read. Same goes for message/comment sections where too many people are commenting and asking questions, it gets very difficult to sift through all the noise.

Nitin Singare

Test Management Tool

Reviewed 2020-01-20

Overall one of the best Free products in industries. Many companies are moving from ALM to JIRA due to cost and effective wider coverage.

Pros
1. It’s freeware 2. Easy to customizable 3. Perfect replacement of HP-ALM 4. Easy to MAnage Defects, requirements/User Stories and TestCases

Cons
1. We can search test execution based on Date=today , we need to use > or < operators (it’s defect in JIRA) 2. Defects can’t link to multiple EPIC. 3. No direct RTM report 4. Person must know queries to use the JIRA 5. Performance Issue

Senthilkumar Neelamegam Janarthanan

Effective Agile business project board

Reviewed 2020-01-17

We used JIRA for agile development and testing projects for tracking status. Multiple scrum and agile masters used JIRA, resulted effective outcomes, tracking in a easy way and watch out without a delivery miss. Creating sub tasks within task lead to deep level of monitoring work items, given confident to manage the task items. We have used user stories, back logs, mini sprints, daily hour stand up calls which given target throughput accurately. Used JIRA in the form of test cases, defects, change request types, requirement analysis - all forms of software test and development life cycle along with multiple development tools like dotnet, GitHub, etc.,

Pros
Couple of features below that I really admired the most-Mobile version of Jira board, colorful status tracking with accurate percentage, effective customized workflow modal, quick peek view of tasks in dashboard, search option for any filter, quick catch for getting user by using '@', easy query handling and filters, easier mode of cloning tasks, linking items and referencing, multiple built in report types like bar chart, pie charts, etc., Kanban & Agile flexi boards, vast of plugin support like git-hub, git bucket, zendesk, etc., From the admin point - easy configuration of development tools dotnet, configuring mailing options, deep level view of audit logs, watch list for issues.Couple of features below that I really admired the most-Mobile version of Jira board, colorful status tracking with accurate percentage, effective customized workflow modal, quick peek view of tasks in dashboard, search option for any filter, quick catch for getting user by using '@', easy query handling and filters, easier mode of cloning tasks, linking items and referencing, multiple built in report types like bar chart, pie charts, etc., Kanban & Agile flexi boards, vast of plugin support like git-hub, git bucket, zendesk, etc., From the admin point - easy configuration of development tools dotnet, configuring mailing options, deep level view of audit logs, watch list for issues.

Cons
Sometimes I feel, the JIRA GUI is clumsy to have many things in dashboard, other than that I do not see any specific negative factors to hate JIRA, and it depends on how we use the features for projects.

Jonathan Edwards

Jira for IT Project Management and Integrated Project Teams

Reviewed 2019-12-26

I still love Jira for the flexibility, I use Jira Software to manage integrated project teams and internal IT projects and helpdesk. It is great to have basically a one stop shop for managing tasks and tickets across a variety of projects and departments. The biggest thing truly is entering in your information and that comes down to managing your teams and setting expectations on ticket information quality.

Pros
Flexibility in workflows and tracking separate projects and sub-projects in the same system. Ease of creating multiple tickets as well as placing them into different projects without having to be in the projects portal. Creating reports to review metrics is relatively easy, it was useful in an integrated project to review estimated times reported in previous sprints to project development times for other projects. The flexibility of how tickets look and editable fields as well as workflows to tailor to the team and/or project being worked on.

Cons
The bad part of Jira's flexibility is that settings are all over the place and you typically need to refer to Jira's knowledge base on how to configure custom settings whether it is for fields inside of tickets, workflow settings and automations, and many other settings. The standard Jira end user interface is not exactly user friendly and some things may not make sense depending on the team using it such as a ticket being in a closed state however the resolution state has separate "states" such as do, don't do which is more used by software development teams. Jira typically requires a lot of customization when setting up new projects either for project managers, agile software development teams, or integrated project teams. As an administrator this can be difficult to convey to my end users who want to track their projects in Jira. This is where you need to have great communication with your end users to be able to setup and tailor the Jira project to their needs and improve the overall Jira experience.

bennar zaineb

Jira for test management

Reviewed 2019-12-11

As a QA in the team, our project is fully customised for tests, and Jira with Xray so far provides the best test management tool in the market. It makes life way easier, it is better than Zephyr and of course much better than excel sheets, which saves time, energy and money for us as testers and for the project.

Pros
The organisation of tests and the variety of the issue types for testing (Features ,Test cases, Test sets, Test executions, Test plan, bug...) The ability to track the executions of tests and bugs Great adaptability with Gherkin and Cucumber It goes perfectly with ISTQB standards for testing Perfect for both Scrum and Kanban users The great boards and views provided by Jira (followup dashboards, sprint board, ..) The ability to add Xray or Zephir or whatever test plugin that suits you

Cons
Jira users must receive a training before starting to use the software since it can be a little complex to use the software for the first time For testers you cannot execute the same test case more than once in the same test execution It gets more and more difficult when end to end testing multiple applications at the same time

Anonymous

Makes most sense for software projects and products.

Reviewed 2019-12-10

JIRA is our source of truth for what is inside, coming out and ready to go next in, in our engineering pipeline is. There isn't a better tool out there even for miles and once you are cosy with JIRA, you can't really make do with another tool.

Pros
1) Releases/Versions: Releases allow us to work in parallel on multiple efforts with the same team. 2) Parallel Sprints: Same as releases, we are a lean team and we have to work on Product features and polish/bug fixes simultaneously. 3) Custom Filters: I like these the most!

Cons
They have taken out small pieces of functionality and made them separate products. These products are now paid and for those small pieces of functionality, you have to make extra purchases. e.g. Pages

Clemens Arnold

Can't imagine a better way to manage agile projects

Reviewed 2019-12-09

The amount of parameters can take some getting used to, especially if you interact with different squads who track differently: but therein lies its power. Jira is always "just" as good as the people who create the processes there.

Pros
The fact that tasks can be organized and prioritized in every structure you can think of. I have used Jira in three companies and it was perfectly tailorable to all their processes. Also, it interacts beautifully with the other Atlassian-tools. Lock-In is no argument because you just don't go with Atlassian if you dislike the way their stuff works.

Cons
Jira really has to stay ahead of its way less expensive competitors (FLOSS-guys, think Redmine). Also, it's weird how I saw some of our partners manage processes with Trello without having too much restrictions: that kind of made me think. You can probably go with a cheaper solution, but for us being a 250+ software-company, Jira was worth the price.

David Rhoderick

JIRA is necessary to my everyday organization

Reviewed 2019-12-06

I use it every day to organize my workflow. Without it, I would be pretty lost.

Pros
Agile development on Jira is great. The ecosystem allows me to track my time, organize my issues into tasks and sub-tasks, track when things get done, create estimates, and organize complex projects into smaller and simpler pieces.

Cons
The support is pretty ignorant of their user-base on several issues and refuse to add new features that would benefit hundreds, if not thousands. It can be very tricky to migrate, update, or set up. Plugins can cost money and it can add up, though I haven't spent too much at all for the value I received.

Anonymous

Indispensable application...but setup is not for the non-tech savvy

Reviewed 2019-12-05

When our internal IT Help Desk went down, we were in a bind. We needed something that we could get up and running with very little trouble and start getting help tickets going again. Despite there being a negative view of JIRA due to previous setup by non-technical users (who deemed it too complex); when the Help Desk was designed and implemented by the IT Team, there was very little talk of complication and more talk of how much better things were than the previous Help Desk. We did integrations with third-party collaboration tools and generated workflows and custom forms that made JIRA one of the best additions to our IT toolkit!

Pros
I love the quick and easy setup of JIRA spaces and it's integration with other Atlassian products. There are also a lot of third-party integrations to help fill-in the gaps.

Cons
JIRA is a beast. Plain and simple. Actually that's just it...it's not plain and simple. You have to have a good grasp of what you want from it to make sure you get what you really need. It is not friendly for the non-technical user looking to create a workspace.

Prathamesh Muzumdar

Sophisticated and efficient project management tool

Reviewed 2019-11-28

Overall, Jira is a highly agile and effective for multi tasking and multi team project management. For large scale Agile Scrum, Kanban, and Hybrid Agile, Jira is the perfect fit for efficient project management. Training and good support can lead to better understnding for Jira users. A project can be managed efficiently using Jira.

Pros
Jira is an excellent project management tool. It is the best option for bug tracking and agile project management. Multiple teams can use Jira at the same time leading to a lot of integrations. Teams including product strategy, product design, and product development can collaborate together leading to improvement in project. Each team can track their individual milestones, deliverables, and tasks using the filter and search functionality. If you are using an Agile Scrum framework, your daily standup meetings are well supported by using custom views. You can create your own custom views to discuss only the relevant issues of the tasks. This feature is time saving and efficient for a daily ten minutes standup. The other new features that make Jira a must buy are due dates notification, assignment allocation, labels, assigning priority levels to tasks, and developing epic links which displays the user story and the project progress. For Kanban framework users, Jira provides Kanban boards where you can turn on and off features that you want to display or hide from other members. Jira provides high flexibility with features that maintain the tasks and deliverable backlogs and these features are applicable to different frameworks. Sprint planning, releasing sprint, and organizing history is very organized in Jira. It can be used for any type of project management. Customer support is available for Jira, which is very helpful.

Cons
Jira has deficiencies on micro level. For a particular task, if you are maintaining the workflow, it is hard to customize the columns. Jira always displays all columns on a single view, more like a static view without scrolling. This leads to columns being smaller in width with smaller font size text, which sometimes become hard to read. Unavailability of scrolling leads to column being fit in a single screen browser. Pricing is also an issue. Jira is expensive and fits very well in the budget of big enterprises, but many for small sized firms it is a hard pass. Also, limited user excess to Jira makes it challenging to most small size companies. There is a trade off between ease of use and efficiencies. User has to have good knowledge of Jira navigation and customization before he can make the project management efficient. Customer support is helpful, but comes at an added price. Overall, customization, ease of use, and price are the biggest drawback for Jira right now.