Gymdesk Logo
Gymdesk

The best rated software for gyms and martial arts schools

visit website

Gymdesk Reviews

4.8

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend9.53/10

Reviews by rating

Definitely would recommend giving it a try. Great customer service, great website and amazing tool to keep ranks, dates, payments, attendance and schedules organized.
Like the family account feature, belt ranks are easy to create, add, and modify. Customer Service is fantastic, quick answers and always willing to help.
Super easy to use, it works, and if you have a question they are very responsive.
Overall there wasn't anything that I can say was bad.
The attendance check-in is a bit confusing when you have multiple classes running.
Prior to using Martial Arts On Rails we operated a manual system and as a consequence we were losing track of payments, grading, etc.

Luke B.

Director

Fantastic Software

Transcript

Luke: Hi, my name's Luke. I'm the Owner Director. I'd give Martial Arts on Rails a five out of five stars....

Estefan J.

Academy Owner

Sports, 1-10 employees

Our go to for a martial arts facility management system

Transcript

Estefan J.: My name is Estefan. I'm actually the owner of my academy and I give Martial Arts on Rails...

Kris M.

Sports, 1-10 employees

The Best Martial Arts Software out there!

I had started with a competing product and while it kind of did what I needed it was just... meh. I switched to GymDesk and could not be any happier - it does exactly what I was looking for in a school management software at a very reasonable price!

Pros

- Easy to use - One stop shop - the creators have thought of everything - Simple for members - Website is connected directly to the back end which is connected to the online shop and Point of Sale which keeps everything simple

Cons

- Would like a little more flexibility on the Design templates for the website - Sometimes the help can be a little tricky to navigate but jumping on the Live Chat solves things in minutes!

JT

Jordan T.

Martial Arts In rails

It’s cuts down tons on paperwork and allows the use of a card for recurring monthly payments. Those are huge. We also keep attendance and rank in this and it helps tons as well. I was skeptical at first but will say that we highly enjoy its function.

Pros

Best customer support around! Very streamline and easy to use Ever evolving with input from customers Less paperwork, mass emailing, just great in all areas. Fair priced

Cons

- sometimes can be a little glitchy but Customer support always is right on it.

SC

Sharla C.

Not bad for the price.

It’s ok. Easy enough to use but I’m used to using Spark and I feel like some of the features are lacking. For the price, I’ll stick around for now.

Pros

Mostly easy to use once you figure it out.

Cons

1) You can’t send out waivers to multiple people at once. Would be nice if you could have them fill out the waivers without having to individually assign them to each person. 2)Wish there was a more detailed way to sort through leads, students etc. for example using tags for things like events, or to separate different types of leads etc. We have only used this for a month and haven’t even quite started using the full functioning yet so there may be more later.

Thanks for reviewing us Sharla! We're sorry to hear you did not have the best experience with our software. There is an option to assign documents to members in bulk, using our bulk member operations, and there's plenty of filters you can use for the leads, including custom fields you can add. We'd be happy to help you utilize the software to the fullest extent - please reach out to our support and we'd help you get set up!

RB

Richard B.

Straight Blast Gym Niagara Loves MAO

Just a few days into getting the system operational for my gym I had many students message me saying they loved it, and how slick it looked. MAO is going to help me be even more personal with my students, and little details will no longer slip between the cracks.

Pros

I like how easy it is for my students to pre-book their classes, the dashboard is awesome showing me who is attending for the day's sessions, and the emailing system is one of my most liked features.

Cons

Any problem I thought I had with the program was actually with me. When I needed help, I messaged [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and every time he answered me back immediately. I have nothing but positives with MAO.

SG

Steven G.

Martial Arts on Rails Review

We were looking for a product to manage a small wrestling club and strength training business. We do not have a full-time manager and most of the products were overly complicated. Martial Arts on Rails has turned out to be the perfect solution.

Pros

The software is extremely easy to set-up and use, yet it has sufficient flexibility to manage our club in the way we want to operate. Interface is excellent and intuitive. The ability to create a website and easily integrate with a payment gateway was also excellent. Finally, customer support is to notch.

Cons

At first I was concerned that it did not have a corresponding App but the website works great on a cell phone and this has not been an issue. The product team continues to add features and improve functionality. No concerns.

LS

Lindsay S.

Consumer Services, 1-10 employees

Great option for beginners

Very happy overall. Service is key for me, makes me want to stay bc I have help when I need it.

Pros

The ease of use, and the customer response time, initially and ongoing as needed. I like the customization options specifically for Martial Arts.

Cons

It takes some time to learn the settings and it’s still something that I’m learning even after a year. Sometimes there are glitches. But with the immediate response (and tech help from the back-end) from the company, it makes it easier to handle.

YY

Yen Y.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Great Choice for Managing Your Martial Arts Business!

Pros

- Super responsive and helpful customer service. Our questions/problems are usually resolved within a few hours of submitting a request. - Clean UI: easy for both us and our members to navigate the software. - Provides all the features you'd need to run your school: billing, belt/skills tracking, attendance tracking, etc. - Integrates with a variety of payment processors

Cons

There are a few random bugs here and there, but the support team is always on the ball fixing them once you bring it to their attention.

BD

Brandon D.

Company Director Review

I have had no issues with MAOR and am very happy with the software!

Pros

Very easy to use integrated with the Australian direct debit company (stripe), nothing is over complicated and hard to find and the (help) tap is actually very useful and I have personally used it multiple times!

Cons

The only con I would say is that all communication is dealt with over email the replies are always prompt what is good! But that is the only communication that is offered between client and MAOR it would be very beneficial if there were other points of communication e.g skype, phone call etc, especially at the beginning stages of looking to sign up other than that I think it is a really good software for martial arts schools and I am very happy with it!

KM

Kyle M.

Law Practice, 11-50 employees

Great software for managing a martial arts gym.

Pros

I like the customer service the most. [SENSITIVE CONTENT] has been most helpful and promptly responded to any questions or concern that I have had. Beyond that, the breadth of capabilities of the software is really great and I discover new functionality of the software almost weekly.

Cons

There are very few cons with this software. There are little things that have come up here and there, but [SENSITIVE CONTENT] has resolved them quickly or helped us find a workaround.

SS

Seiji S.

New gym owner

Overall our experience has been extremely positive and have not once considered seeking out other software.

Pros

Gymdesk is a powerful tool that has so far met most of our needs as a new gym. Customer service is extremely fast and helpful. We have on multiple occasions inquired about features not present in the software and these have been rapidly implemented.

Cons

The gym scheduling can be a little confusing to manage and this can also affect the attendance tracking.

BL

Ben L.

Public Safety, 1-10 employees

Excellent choice for member management

Pros

The team is quick to respond and open to suggestions for features. The setup is pretty simple and easily integrates with payment software. The FrontDesk option is a nice feature for allowing students to check in. Great set of features for the price.

Cons

Updating members isn't always easy. Some of the links and buttons don't work as expected. Ability to customize memberships, especially for 'no cost' memberships, is limited. No feature to allow for more than one version of a waiver to be used at the same time or to include a waiver and a membership agreement during the sign up process.

H&

Hollis & Joel L.

New MAOR user

Extremely positive

Pros

Ease of use and presentation. The simple, yet data heavy presentation allows the user to have important information at the fingertips without unnecessary navigation.

Cons

Report customization. Probably not so much for the M.A. facility, but gym operators with a wide range of customers need to be able to generate custom data reports, especially those facilities who rely in part on dues reimbursement from member insurance programs. A growing segment of business as the aging population increases.

KH

Kim H.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Excellent software to keep dojo running smoothly

Great customer service. Quick replies. Really enjoying the software.

Pros

Easy to keep track of visitors/potential new members. Great dashboard overview to see quickly any overdue fees and information

Cons

We run a lot of kids classes where a day(s) needs to be selected for them to enrol. Currently we need to create a lot of day combinations to accommodate this

MB

Matt B.

Gymdesk Software for BJJ Gyms

I really dont understand how I get so much spam (up to 20/day). If there could be a block to enable them not to resend emails. I would like it a whole lot more.

Pros

It like that it comes with its own webpage that can later be integrated with your own. It suits my gym perfectly accounting for all of my needs. I would recommend this for anyone setting up a BJJ Academy. It also has an easy to view, "how to" that helped me out. My emails initially to the Gymdesk Team, were answered quite quickly and after a while of using it, it became so much easier.

Cons

Being in Australia, it was annoying that only Square can be used for the POS. But Square isnt too bad with its low fees.

Thanks for reviewing us, Matt! We're glad to hear you've enjoyed your experience overall. We thought you might like to know we also work with Stripe and GoCardless in Australia in case you're not happy with Square. If you'd like to know more, please reach out and we'll be happy to assist!

Ad

Andre de Wit K.

Professional Training & Coaching, self-employed

A must have for gyms and studios training students.

Overall this really help boost your dreams. Getting this software management application is a must have, even when starting up!

Pros

Effortless and easy for management of your school as a manager. Easy process for your students to sign up .

Cons

I would like to have an application (App) on my mobile via Google Play, or AppStore. No complaints.

HS

Heidi S.

Love this software!

Our clientele doubled within the first four months of using this software. It’s has been absolutely amazing.

Pros

Easy to set up new students. Easy to find history of payments. It’s very organized and easy to navigate. I love that our members have access to their own profiles.

Cons

Setting up family memberships is the hardest thing but it’s not that bad.

RP

Rachael P.

Prompt Responses and Excellent Customer Service

Using Martial Arts on Rails has allowed us to combine three different platforms into one accessible and easy to use program. We are now able to navigate through any membership requirement within the same system and it has really helped our day to day business run smoothly.

Pros

This system is extremely user friendly and it has been a smooth transition from our previous software. Very easy to navigate through all our memberships and features.

Cons

We have not had any issues with this software that wasn't promptly addressed by customer service. We needed an option of entering multiple payment methods in membership accounts and the option was provided the next day.

KB

Kendra B.

Cosmetics, 11-50 employees

most useful tool for me

Pros

I was in the market for a new gym membership and was looking at a bunch of different options. After researching a bunch of different options, I came across Gymdesk. The product is a mobile app that lets you book gym sessions, track your workouts and even bill your members. It also gives you a full reporting dashboard to keep an eye on your members' progress and progress.

Cons

I didn't observe any negative sides. I'm satisfying.

JJ

Joey J.

Sports, self-employed

Slick looking and easy to use

My experience was great. I ended up choosing another product, but it wasn't because of any defect in the product. MAOR is both advanced and simple at the same time. It has all the basic functionality you need to get started right away. I had my site basics set up in about 10 minutes, and within an hour I had my contracts all set up and ready to merge. If you're after a highly tweakable product,...

Pros

The interface is sharp, and simple to navigate and find what you're looking for. Able to set up a trial account and poke around without first having to sit through a lengthy pitch. Developer responsiveness and support.

Cons

The interface isn't very customizable (the color scheme and icons). Also the options for layout are pretty static.

Thanks for the review and feedback, Joey, it's very much appreciated!

KL

Kam L.

Martial arts software

So far after using it for a month, I found it useful and easy to transfer all my other members from another platform which I was using. It is clear and easily re-do if you make a mistake. It takes some time on knowing how to use it but once knowing it, it is easy and simple to use. I am a slow learner but I can still learn it in a couple weeks.

Pros

What I like best is that you can access all different areas from one page and it is convenient to use. The Dashboard is also great as it tells you what is going on with the member's payment, birthdays and who has been absent from class lately.

Cons

The least thing that is confusing is that when you login as a manager, it takes you to a page where the login is still showing on the page and not straight into the admin page. So, if you are not aware, you will try to login again and again whereas you can just click the admin button.

WL

Wagner L.

Great software

It helps me to manage my business

Pros

The online registration and online invoices

Cons

I suggest an automatic check-in. In other words, it would be enough for the students to type their personal code and the system would automatically check-in without the student having to make a second click to confirm.

Thanks for reviewing our product Wagner! We do have an automatic check-in options, which you can enable in your account. We'll follow up via Email shortly. -E

MJ

Michael J.

Self-employed

Switching from Kicksite to Martial Arts On Rails

So far very impressed would recommend people giving this software a chance.

Pros

Website integration is awesome, I use square for my business and as far as I know this is the only software that integrates square into there system. The cost compared to kicksite is better as compared per student.

Cons

The only invoicing available is reoccurring would like to see one time invoicing for products or tests. Also would like to see more done with the ranking, maybe being able to put in requirements so to be able to track students progress also maybe a way to advance a testing group with a single click.

Thank you for the review Michael! I'm glad you found our software useful. Worth noting that we definitely offer one-time charges and product sales, if you need help with using those features please get in touch and we'd be happy to help you out!

BR

Benedikt R.

Best BJJ Gym Tool on the market

Best customer support ever

Pros

Very well made web application with obviously years of experience

Cons

Nothing comes to mind currently. If something is missing, they try to help or even implement the feature

FR

Franck R.

Great support

We are a university club, with 30-40 members. Just enough members to justify a membership system but not enough to afford the big names. We are a martial art club, so I look at 50+ different options and try ~10 that were affordable. MAOnRails was in the top 3, I was sold by the support that was absolutely, and still is, great. Very fast response to explain, correct or enhance. I can only recommend this software. It is not the cheapest but far from the more expensive. Definitely worth the money!

Pros

- Best support ever - Quick bug & features turnaround, even when paying the lowest plan - All features requests are considered and thought through - Payment integration with square and stripe - kiosk mode for in gym/dojo check-in - manager and members interface to allow members to see own membership, pay invoices, etc - integrated document management for waiver and T&Cs Many other features, I suggest you to do the free trial

Cons

It is really a great software, any cons I came across was swiftly corrected/updated by the great team behind the software. There hasn't been any request/features that where dismissed by the team so I want to say no cons!

JT

James T.

It works!

Love it!

Pros

Cons

Would like to add feature of being able to put in emergency contact photos. Also be able to click on members photos to enlarge an adjust. Some members add photos that are poor quality or too small to see their face clearly.