All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

CAKE POS Reviews

Pros

It kept track of everything and generated pretty much any report that you could have wanted. I also liked the rate for CC purchases and customer support was outstanding.

bryan g.

Read the full review
I like that it is very user friendly, employees catch on quick, and I like the reports where you can see what are your best sellers etc. I think it looks nice at the counter.

Toni C.

Read the full review
The support is wonderful and I can not say enough how nice it is to use CAKE payments for credit card processing and have everything under one system with easy to use reports.

Bridget B.

Read the full review

Cons

No one is perfect, they all have issue some times but having you losing money is the worst thing a POS system can do and cake is the worst for that.

Mikel L.

Read the full review
Now while many restaurants use Sysco for delivery, they will all tell you that the company itself can drop the ball a lot, and be very costly to your business.

Eric F.

Kristin R.

Review of CAKE

I enjoy that there is 24/7 customer support with any issues. (love the new text feature)

Pros

I like that I can access it anywhere remotely to make changes, add menu items, and view sales.

Cons

I don't like the new update. I feel the original version is easier to use.

Who Doesn't LOVE CAKE?

The data that CAKE provides me is incredibly valuable to our business. We love it!

Pros

We don't spend any time on training new team members to use our POS System (CAKE). Seriously, it's so easy we show them a few features and they are running it like a pro on day one. That in it's self has saved us a ton of payroll we use to spend on training. From a ownership perspective, we have four locations and I'm able to track them from my central office, Wonderful!

Cons

Negatives only fall on one piece of the equipment. The cash drawer and the insert in it are not built for the type of abuse they can take in some operations. I wish there was an option to purchase extra drawer inserts. There are no other negatives about CAKE.

Not ready for Prime Time. Crashes when you need it most.

I can't think of anything this POS does better than the one we replaced. If it wouldn't crash all the time, we could benefit from not having the servers leave the floor to put orders in and run credit cards, but since they are constantly crashing, we don't have that benefit.

Pros

Easy to use interface. Order Pads should allow servers to spend more time on the floor Inexpensive POS System.

Cons

It doesn't work when we need it to. We've been trying to get the issues resolved via Cake Support and Sysco Management for more than 8 months. It isn't getting any better. As soon as the dining room gets busy the Order Pad Apps crashes. All of our servers need to have paper and pencil ready at all times to complete their orders and stand in line at the terminal to enter them every rush. It seldom...

Your CAKE hardware is definitely not performing as designed. Our Customer Success Team has reached out to resolve your issue. Thank you for the honest feedback, we'll use it to create better products and support in the future.

POS

Overall, we love this product, especially the support we get from the friendly staff. Anytime we have an issues, we call and it gets fixed. We have also been able to troubleshoot and fix items ourselves numerous times. It's an easy system and we recommend it.

Pros

Our customers love their screen. They like that they can see their order. It's easy to read and understand. We love that we can use the system from home on the laptop and not just in the shop. I make changes to the menu mostly from home. I love having the itemized close cash receipt every day. I love all the reports that I get for tracking my business.

Cons

I don't like that all the buttons are the same color. It makes it very difficult to find buttons in a hurry when you have 40 different syrup flavors and 34 different teas. We need colored buttons that we can use as groups, for example, I could make all our sugar free syrups green and all the syrups that start with an A, blue, etc... It helps your eyes to find things quicker. It is really stressful...

CAKE, WOW!!!!!!

24/7 Friendly, Supportive and Caring CAKE team member answer the phone ready to help! As a brand new business owner this is what we needed from day one of choosing CAKE to even now 18 months of being in business. I am never made to feel like my question is dumb or my confusion is stupid. The team member works with me until my issue is resolved or they offer to get additional clarification or help for me if needed. If you ever want to call me I will be happy to go into further detail as to how we could not have made a better decision for THE COFFEE SHOP, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]

Pros

When starting our coffee shop we knew we needed a POS. We did not know where to start. Once CAKE came to our attention is was hard to look anywhere else. The help from understand our need as newbie's to walking us through every step of set up was fantastic. What I like most about the software would take too many words.

Cons

There is not much I do not like about the CAKE software. If I had to choose a "least" favorite issue it would be that I wish the "Busy Hour" report was available on Universal Admin with a date range option. Also I wish Dashboard had a changeable date range option.

Value, Function, and Top Notch Customer Service

We were so thankful at how easy it was to activate online ordering. Our customers feel confident providing their credit card information through a secure system, and we love that we can remove items from the online system from our POS when we run out of a certain special. We appreciate the way the user dashboard online is simple to navigate and provides a clean pie-chart or graph style analysis of our sales, popular items, labor vs. income, etc. Those graphic visuals are invaluable when we are quickly checking in during a busy shift to see where our numbers are. We have a wide range of literacy comfort levels at our restaurant and we feel like our employees are all able to navigate the system easily and effectively. We think that is important from an accessibility standpoint.

Pros

We switched to CAKE from another POS system in 2016, after being in operation for 1.5 years. We have been impressed with the way CAKE constantly tries to provide new features. As a farm-to-table quick-service restaurant, our menu changes weekly and we find it simple and straightforward to make updates each week. Due to COVID-19, we recently activated the online ordering and we believe it has saved...

Cons

We first purchased in Spring 2016. The software felt a little sluggish and honestly, we were not sure if it would easily keep up with our pace. But we have been very impressed with CAKE's constant evaluation and roll-out of new features and integrations--they haven't missed a beat! We don't use all the features yet, but because of the recent success with our online activation, we are now considering...

Thank you Kristin for the detailed review about your experience with CAKE Point of Sale and being a customer since 2016! We're excited to hear that you've had such a great experience so far and we'll definitely forward your suggestions to our product team.

Very user-friendly on the front end, somewhat clunky on the back end

Overall, our experience has been great. Before switching to CAKE we were using Square, which worked well when we were just a small cafe, but now that we've gown into a full service restaurant it's made a huge difference having a system built specifically for the industry.

Pros

The POS is very intuitive - very little training is needed before staff have it figured out. It's also very customizable so we've been able to get tickets and receipts to print exactly how we want them to.

Cons

Editing the menu is pretty arduous. There are a lot of steps involved in changing just one item and there still seem to be a few bugs to sort out. The reports are also more limited than we would like and present the data as lists of numbers rather than charts, which would be easier to digest.

Hi Anna, thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad to hear that you were able to grow to a full-service restaurant and decided to partner with us. We pride ourselves on being simple and intuitive and we are happy to hear that little training was required for your staff. Thank you for your candor, we are always looking to make improvements to our Point of Sale.

Must have “POS”

Overall Cake is head and shoulders above the rest! If you are thinking of going with Harb.rt.uch think again!!! Cake will put all other systems to bed!!

Pros

The system is extremely easy to operate and customize

Cons

Everything seems to be exactly how it should be

Best System Yet!

The rep, our contact person at Cake, is AWESOME!!! :)

Pros

User-friendly, love that we can make changes off-site, looking forward to using their Guest Manager program and online ordering!

Cons

We wish the pizza part of their system was easier to use. Half & Half pizzas are almost 50% of our orders, and it is not the easiest to enter on this current version. The only think we liked better with one of our former systems, is that it showed an actual picture of a pizza and we could click and drag toppings from one side to the other. Much easier and better visually. We are hoping Cake implements this in the future. :) (Hope that helps).

Best System Yet? Thank you for your kind words Jodine! Glad to see that you are using Guest Manager and Online Ordering.

questions answered

i liked it

Pros

it has alot of features and is quick to learn. user friendly and good customer support

Cons

little expensive compared to other POS software

A promising work in progress

Cake is a perfectly adequate system that has served our needs but as we grow we feel like we need to search for a more robust system with all of the features that we need. Customer service has always been responsive, even if to tell us that the features we requested aren't available.

Pros

This system is user friendly and has all of the BASIC features you need to get going. The customer facing hardware is attractive and functional. Back end programming is fairly easy to use once you are familiar with it. Online ordering has been fairly easy to implement and has all of the BASIC functions you need.

Cons

After working with this system in multiple locations for a few years, we have come to learn of some shortcomings - reporting with the system in difficult to navigate and hard to generate more detailed sales reports. It is not an intuitive reporting system. The basic snapshot functions are great, but digging deeper to get more detailed reports is cumbersome. Also some basic functionality on the restaurant...

Cake Review

This is my first POS system. I think its expensive but I think the system has help me recover at least part of the cost and now I know a lot more about my restaurant. The tech support team is very good. I have had the system for about 4 months now and I am still learning. I know the software people are in this to make money but for small companies you can't afford the add ons because the cost is too high. They don't explain about the add on pricing up front. I thought time tracking, scheduling and inventory would be standard. Overall I do like the system but I will know what ask and look for when my contract is up.

Pros

- Easy to use - Easy to change the menu - Online ordering is available - Keeps track of items left if I put in the quantity left - Tracks all kinds of things such as discounts, comps, etc. - System was fairly easy to set up - Tech support is very good

Cons

- Online ordering will not let you track the number of items left. If I put on the POS I have 3 special left that won't reflect to my online ordering so I have to manually turn it off. This has been my biggest beef because I have limited items on some things and I can't sell them online because the system can't track how many are left. - Credit Card money is slow to go in, we have not tried paying...

Bowen's Tavern

We are very happy with CAKE, it saves me time bookkeeping, helps with inventory and is easy for our employees. The support is wonderful and I can not say enough how nice it is to use CAKE payments for credit card processing and have everything under one system with easy to use reports!

Pros

The thing that I like the most is being able to connect to the POS with my computer or phone. It makes life as an owner easier, I can make buttons for items or change prices even if I am not at the tavern. Also being able to pull reports up on my computer is much better than working only with the close cash slip. The support is wonderful, I always get an answer to my question or the help I need. It is just so easy to use that even employees who have never used a POS can learn to use it easily and fairly quickly.

Cons

There are only a few features that we would change such as, if you set hours for happy hour, after it is over, items cannot be cashed out if they are already on an open order so you would have to have everyone pay as you go or cash out before a certain time. The other feature that doesn't really work for our tavern is that if a refund is performed, the whole amount doesn't show as a refund, part does and the other part is refunded on the employee's tips. We would love to see the ability to close cash and assign drawers from the website as well. Other than that, we are totally happy with this system!

Cake promises undelivered

While it functions fine for the ordering and set up. The back end portion for controls of labor are not in place. You also do not have a choice on who processes your credit cards. Twice in a month we were delayed credit card processing deposits into our account. While I do believe that it was probably the 3rd parties processing fault we have 7 other locations that have not experienced this problem at all. Maybe its time for Cake to change processors! When you have pending checks to clear and you don't get your planned deposit for your credit card processing it can be stressful day with banking.

Pros

The product was recommended by Sysco. The cost and the features explained was the selling point.

Cons

There is no partnered labor control ap that works with clock in of your employees on the Cake system . With Labor control being one of the largest cost factors and with all the new features that others offer. Cakes only partner is with 7 Shifts and for that you pay a hefty price even to be able to schedule on it. If you have one location maybe you can get by with the old paper schedule but with...

Hi John, thank you for taking some time to leave a candid review. First off, thank you for acknowledging our ease of use by giving us a 5-star on it. With that said, we would like to apologize for the inconvenience that the delayed deposit caused. We understand that running multiple restaurants can be stressful enough. Our intention is to make life easier for our operators. As for your concerns in regard to labor control, we have and are making concerted efforts to push features that would be beneficial to our operators. In our 6.28.1 release, we added the feature to prevent early clock-ins from breaks. university.cake.net/s/article/What-s-New-in-6-28-1-0 Although we do not have overtime alerts, we are able to allow automatic clock-out times.

Cake support and management assistance

Overall the system has assisted in staffing better, seeing trends with sales, reports are continuously being improved. Easy to update menu pricing and item changes. Great system for table waits, using text to notify guest table is ready is easier. Monitoring table times allowing us to see where weaknesses are. Up to date information regarding the sales, labor and comp, refunds, voids, staff errors. Everything is in one easy report.

Pros

Easy to use, 24 hour support, customer services is exceptional, constantly working on improving the system and uses the customers feedback in assisting to redesign and implement changes

Cons

With the support team so far away it is sometimes difficult to pin point the base of the system problem. Especially through phone conversations. Recently we had a Pos terminal go and it would enter things units own. It was extremely difficult to capture the incidents while it happened. Sometimes you can't capture the problem through a video or it just would stop when on the phone with support team. The problem went on for a month. Cake was outstanding and replaced the terminal free of charge for a one time customer courtesy.

Hey Kristin, thank you for your review. We pride ourselves on our ease of use and we continuously look to improve our Point of Sale, so thanks for noticing! Also, glad to hear that you are putting our Point of Sale and Guest Manager to great use.

Great Software! Great Support!! Great System!!!

The efficiency for the staff, which is HUGE!! We are a Family Restaurant, that worked with Carbon Guest checks. We would take an order at the table and run it back to the kitchen, and then move on to the next table. Now, because we use the IPads to take the order, we can go from table to table to take the order, while we are doing that we can have the coffee pot with us, and on the way back to...

Pros

This system has Easy to add & Change Menu Items, which works awesome for our daily specials. It is VERY user friendly & Easy to train any age group. This system works great for reports, menu items such as what you are or are not selling, payroll, ect. I am so glad we chose this System!!

Cons

Cannot adjust the pricing after the order has been sent back to the Kitchen. I also wish there were some things you could have print in a different color that goes back to the kitchen. Our ribbons are red and black, but the printer only prints black. I also wish, there was a different way to have the orders print to the kitchen, but we are working through some of those issues. The cooks have to remember that they have to learn a different way to read the tickets as well. There are a couple of other things, but actually they are being implemented in the near future.

Thank you Carmelle for taking the time to give CAKE such a thorough and glowing review! CAKE Point of Sale does not allow for pricing modification after an order has been placed. We did this to keep cash totals consistent in your inventory - so everything adds up at the end of the day. We hear your requests for different colored ink on your tickets and early this summer we have an update coming out that will allow you to print modifiers in red. Thank you for trusting the Copper Penny Family Restaurant to CAKE Point of Sale, working together just makes cents!

I love CAKE!

Too many to list here but software that is easy to understand and follow and make corrections too. It runs our kitchen and food orders as well as serving as an employee time keeping system.

Pros

We purchased our Cake system two years ago after looking at many different systems for our diner after making the decision to update our entire process. The Cake system had everything that we wanted. Over the past two years we've had some issues with our system that very easily have been corrected and some that took a little time to fix. We are just too busy for me to spend countless hours trying...

Cons

I wish the ipad minis that we use for mobile table service were a little more efficient and didn't drop the Cake network connection so easily. My staff has trouble always understanding how to reconnect or update as needed and I have to jump in and try to fix whatever they've done.

Thank you Kim for your great and thorough review of CAKE. We¿re honored to be among the best customer service you¿ve experienced in more than 25 years of being an industry veteran. We¿re launching a new and improved OrderPad this year, and we¿re confident it will solve issues like yours. We¿re happy you¿re using support to walk you through any issues, and we hope you¿ll keep reaching out if you should ever need help getting the most out of your CAKE Point of Sale. We can only say you¿re welcome for your praise and enthusiasm, and we¿ll continue working to be the best restaurant technology company for independent restaurants like yours!

Cake has been such a positive experience.

Cake saves us time with customers and employee training. It is very user friendly and the support team is very friendly and helpful.

Pros

We switched to CAKE because we were launching a bigger location and with an expanded menu, this was the better option for us. We were previously using Square which didn't have a lot of the functions we needed as a bigger business. It's much easier for employees to work now because CAKE allows them to do clocking in and out in one convenient location, all the menu options can be put in the system which...

Cons

The screen will freeze from time to time but it is easily fixed by restarting the machine. I also wish we could find receipts by card holders last name, it would be easier to go back if we need to find a receipt for different purposes.

Your CAKE Point of Sale shouldn't be freezing, please reach out to support@trycake.com if you'd like some technical assistance troubleshooting this issue. CAKE is happy to hear Mishmash Eats is saving so much time by switching to CAKE POS. We hope you and your customers continue to have great things to say about CAKE's support, please get in touch if we can help you get more out of your CAKE Point of Sale.

Gives greater control over your point of sale and tracking!

Order accuracy and data tracking

Pros

Conversation Summary/Sample Review: Before we started with CAKE, everything was done by hand so we had to write stuff down which posed a challenge because now you had to know what went on everything and how much things were to charge for extra. There was also no way for us to track anything, really. Now we can track sales of items in general as well as hourly, and there is even an option to track by...

Cons

It would be great if customers could order online and pay with PayPal. An app for remote access to the system would be amazing.

Thank you Shaun for a great review! We do offer online ordering, and an app for remote access to the system. We've contacted your Customer Success representative to ensure that CC Diner and Ice Cream gets your just desserts! We're happy to hear CAKE Point of Sale saves time for team and adds more money to your bottom line.

We have been very pleased with our experience with Cake, from the employer and employee standpoint.

Pros

Before CAKE we were a small mom and pop shop handwriting tickets with no POS system. Having everything handwritten caused issues for cooks and if we were looking for specific item sales, we had to go through every single hand-written ticket to track that kind of data. What attracted me to CAKE was that it was a rental program, so there was not a lot of out of pocket upfront cost, which is really important...

Cons

The updates on the system sometimes catch us by surprise and cause a little bit of confusion for the staff. Most of the updates are very helpful, but a times, they will make a change that does not work for us. Perhaps a little more warning on the changes would help.

CAKE makes technology for independent businesses like yours to get more done with less money, time, and overhead. We're glad to hear that it's invaluable to your pizzeria. The next time you have an item on your wish list, please do reach out, and thank you for choosing CAKE!

Great experience, amazing support and the right way to buy software

Pros

We were using an older text driven system before that ran on an older OS on XP and we needed something that was Windows-oriented, vendor supported, and took support off of management's hands and handed it over to the people who are actually on the floor doing the work. Frankly the old system also broke a lot, and we needed something more technologically advanced. CAKE has been fantastic. Developing...

Cons

An ad-hoc reporting capability would be nice. The existing reports are substantial and you can download them into excel, but I would like to be able to create my own.

Thank you Mike for your great review of CAKE! CAKE Point of Sale makes it easy for you to work faster, more efficiently, and with less overhead. We¿re glad to hear your staff is loving it as much as you are!

Very happy overall with the Cake System.

decreased ticket times, no more pocketed tickets, better overall customer satisfaction.

Pros

Our main problem before CAKE was time. It was taking too much time for servers to get something written on paper and get back to the POS to put everything in. If the internet was down everything was down so we wanted something cloud based so we could continue with transactions even if the internet had problems. CAKE meets all the needs we were looking for. We've got a much faster turnover rate on being...

Cons

Touch screen interaction is not instant. There is a half second lag in some of the menu screens. It may not sound like much, but anyone in the restaurant industry knows that every single second counts during the lunch rush. This lag also includes certain unnecessary animations between certain screens. Certain features such as an on the fly print button from the table layout screen would decrease our table times. The Split screen is very counter-productive compared to other systems.

We're so happy to hear Cafe at the Gardens is running efficiently and profitably since switching to CAKE! But we are sorry to hear that you're experiencing a touch screen lag. If you haven't already done so, we advise contacting support@trycake.com for further investigation. We have brought this to the attention of our Product team in the meantime. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences!

They Give You Choices....Who Doesn't Like Choices?

The highest grade i will ever give a POS system is a 9/10 because there is always something new and innovative that you will be chasing, no matter which system you have. Therefore there is no '10' system. These guys got the 9. They have a nice system, but what i like best, is that they survey their CURRENT customers to find out what they can do better, then make it better. And they give you choices.....who doesn't like choices?!

Pros

Look: Unlike many of the Micros and Aloha-type companies out there, the machine looks modern and even futuristic with the customer touch screen. We demo'd with Revel and their multi-screen set up looks out of place and almost alien-like. What is that? Ease of Use: It has many features that make training a breeze. Training mode, quick search bar for menu items, global modifiers, etc. The screen...

Cons

i must say, the name sounds a bit silly, but does Apple sell Apples? The Support was a bit shaky for a minute but i was told they just added an additional Support department in Texas. Since then, it has been great! I would like to see more from their loyalty program. Support told me this is being upgraded and will be included in an upcoming software update!

Thank you Zick for your thorough and clear enthusiasm for CAKE! We're thrilled to have stood out among so many great options in the POS marketplace, and we'll continue to improve our POS based on what our customers want.

Drastically improved our order efficiency. Responsive Customer Service.

Pros

We had a system before CAKE for several years that we couldnt upgrade, which was our biggest issue. It was becoming slower and slower and features werent very robust, even though it was very expensive. CAKE is very responsive from a customer service perspective, and theyre always very helpful. We feel very comfortable calling when we have issues, which dont often come up, whereas before we incurred...

Cons

You have the ability to choose your owner credit card processor, but you have to purchase separate processing hardware. Running cards this way ads a layer of inefficiency to the transaction process, increasing service time.

Thank you for choosing CAKE, Chris! We're excited that you can see increases in tips, and we're thrilled that you're getting the most out of CAKE by using all the features we offer

Streamline and solid POS employee facing screen

Remote reports I can download or pdf a copy. Menu changes that is remote along with daily emails on sales summary. Easy to setup menu also.

Pros

I liked the system because it had a customer facing screen. I also didn't want to buy my own POS system so I could get updates from the software holder instead of getting stuck with outdated software. I like how they do send us updates and try to improve the system, constantly trying to make it better. I do everything remotely so there are a lot of new features that help with that too. I can pull reports quarterly and sales reports, look at tips and do all the payroll without a different system. Everything can be forwarded directly to my CPA. Even though there are things to improve on, I do recommend the system and like it a lot. I was very careful to pick the right one for the flow of the business, it feels right and after 2 years using it, it still feels great.

Cons

More frequent updates to remote manage since I usually work off site. Already does a good job, but lets keep the updates coming. I want to able to edit employee incorrect login times since I am always getting a text from an employee to help them fix it and be able to make discount changes remotely as well.

CAKE appreciates your thorough and thoughtful review, We're glad more than two years later you are still getting great value from CAKE Point of Sale. We keep innovating our products so that tips and payroll are a snap. We hear your needs about more robust remote management, and we'll send your thoughts to our product development team.

Select your country

10+ YEARS RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE

© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.