Lightspeed Retail Reviews

User ratings

4.2

• Likelihood to recommend8.65/10

See full reviews by rating

Pros

Cons

When I have spoken to a tech they have been excellent in understanding my question and providing a solution. At times working outside the box to create the best result with the conditions present.

TD

Todd D.

CR

Chrysie R.

We love how easy this was to set up. It does not require buying $20,000 worth of equipment like our first POS system did back in 2008.

MH

Marie H.

This POS system is terrible for retail shops doing anything more than a standard sale. It's unintuitive, confusing, easy to make errors and very frustrating.

JN

Jenny N.

Limited options for payment processing, having to go with a non integrated payment was frustrating, and we were also limited with payment processing options for our eCommerce site.

AL

Annie L.

It’s extremely frustrating and not user friendly at all. In fact, I think the whole system is deeply flawed and unworkable.

JN

Quickbooks Online-logocaret
+ 1

Quickbooks Online

Compare both
How would you rate Lightspeed Retail?

LI

Linda I.

Owner

Retail, 1-10 employees

Above and Beyond

Transcript

Linda: Hi, I'm Linda. I am the owner and I work for a pet food retail store, and I give Lightspeed a...

This is my 3rd POS

Transcript

Ephraim: Hi, my name is [Ephraim 00:01:08]. I'm the general sales manager, and I would like to give a...

Great integrated system

Lightspeed has been great. We have been using it for over a year and it has met my expectations. Whenever I request help, which isn't that often anymore they are quick to respond.

Pros

The best feature of LIghtspeed is the analytics package. As a senior manager you can spend a lot of time calculating your performance manually in excel. But the Analytics package takes care of all of that. It's easy to see the performance of your inventory, employees and marketing at any time. There are also a lot of apps that work with Lightspeed that make it the most functional POS system I've used. The fact that the ecommerce is integrated as well makes it a great fully integrated system. You could pay a lot more to piece together all the of the systems you need. Or you could spend a huge amount of money creating a custom system.

Cons

There are some small idiosyncrasies like not adjusting sync times for your local time zone. So, yesterday is never accurate you have to wait for the next days sync to get have accurate information. I would also like to be able to have our time management app sync employee time to Lightspeed so we don't have to enter it manually. I've given up on tracking employee hourly performance for this reason. Or if they offered a better time clock management natively that would help. I'd also like them to include the previous year comparisons in their dashboard. And, I'd like to look at seasonal performance rather than just month to month and week to week.

The Point of Sale solution

Overall, the software does a great job in helping Accountants, managers and front liners in the Retail industry. What's great is that it integrates with ECommerce to be more efficient in selling your products out there, not just from the brick and mortar setup, but in the online as well.

Pros

I tinkered with this software and got ot know this from the inside and out. I like the functionalities as it allows you to break free from the spreadsheet and manual entry. Gone are the days of tallying and doing adjustments on a piece of paper. It has filter functions for reporting, it auto calculates taxes by assigning it in the initial setup, browser printing integration, you can conveniently import inventory from a csv file to your POS system and export those reports in a csv format. The hardware associated to it works seamlessly like the tablets, scanners, and printers. Although , it endorses Apple products, it works perfectly fine with Windows operating systems. It also has a companion product which is called Lightspeed Accounting that is comparable to Quickbooks

Cons

A few bugs are slowly being fixed as each maintenance and update is released, just like any other software. Although workarounds can be done to remedy it, but you'd have to seek assistance from Tech Support.

Access to information at your fingertips

Helped with better tracking of margin and inventory. We have really done a better job of inventory tracking and inventory management. Allows us to look at real time margin and make adjustments as needed.

Pros

Easy to access information from sales to margins to reports that really help us optimize our business

Cons

Some of the upload of inventory and how it is titled. Not having a trade in function.

If you want seamless eCom and Retail DO NOT USE LIGHTSPEED

I would not recommend anyone, in any situation, use these features or services provided by Lightspeed. They are money hungry and nothing else.

Pros

I liked the sales pitch. He promised a ton of stuff that I wanted to hear. Unfortunately none of that stuff ever panned out. Just like a politician.

Cons

Here is a list of my complaints about Lightspeed Omnichannel (eCom + Retail PoS) - No E-mail Automation what-so-ever, you'll pay $10/month just for Abandoned Cart Recovery E-mails - Are you a franchise with individually owned locations? No support for that. - You can only add one merchant gateway on your entire account, but you can have up to 100 locations. But if each locations needs a separate...

Hi Mason, We would like to apologize for your recent experience with Lightspeed. We see that you are currently working with a member of our Customer Success Team who are best suited to get you the assistance you need. We value our customers feedback, and would be grateful to have the opportunity to address your needs and concerns. Thank you, Lightspeed Commerce

Great User friendly

Great easy to use manage and maintain. Works on almost any tablet phone or cpu.

Pros

Love its ease of use. Cloud based makes taking it on the road to do mobile events a breeze for payment processing and inventory management.

Cons

Could have used a little more help importing our inventory but after I figured it out it was easy to do.

Does what it says it does.

Lightspeed has been an overall great experience.

Pros

We use this to manage cross channel inventory with our warehouse and ecommerce site.

Cons

It does not have a direct integration with WooCommerce leading to the purchase of more software for the integration and another third party system. Also you can not send direct invoices with a link for payment processing.

Lightspeed set you up for growth

Lightspeed is a great tool and fairly priced for all the time it will make you save. Having an ACCURATE system inventory management is really important nowadays especially if you are selling online. The uptime of the tool is probably 98/99 % I wish the product would have a bit less upsell because the monthly bill can go up relatively fast

Pros

Really easy to get your hands on the product, tech savvy or not Lightspeed will help you organize and monitor your business. Products creation is quite fast

Cons

Lack of quality apps but once Lightspeed grow big enough I think their will be a good selection

Jessica Harmon's (ATTU) review of Lightspeed Retail

I generally love the service.

Pros

I love how easy to use it is. It connects my store inventory to my website really easily.

Cons

I wish there was an app where I could easily see what sold for the day and what we did in terms of total sales.

Perfect for all types of retail.

Allows to manage multi units from one computer quite easily. Customer service attentive and quick in getting back.

Pros

Very easy to set up and customize the way your business need.

Cons

Some important features are still missing but the development team is quite efficient and open for customer's feedback.

Highly Recommend for Most Applications

Pros

Pos side is very user friendly! Everything is simple.

Cons

E-commerce is really lacking. It’s really hard to edit websites.

Have been using CDK for many years for Maintience & Repair set opp DMS system.

Over all, I have always liked to way the system has operated, The functions and the data inputting controls are easier than most other DMS systems that i have tried.

Pros

I have always like the way the system is produced from the Service personnel's prospective & The way CDK tries to customize the product for each of the specific user's or Locations.

Cons

I think this system could be improved by having the ability to communicate with & Be programed with available patches to adapt the system to communicate and share info with all other outside vendor's and the coinciding systems that they use. Every company will have separate systems all that are needed for what type of Service it provides. - IE. *( Scheduling a Boat's launch for Valet Service or...

Good Product

The overall experience has been excellent. I am most impressed with the support I have received from Lightspeed. Phone in wait times have been very reasonable at this point. When I have spoken to a tech they have been excellent in understanding my question and providing a solution.... at times working outside the box to create the best result with the conditions present.

Pros

The start up process was easy to follow along. Great tutorial videos and resources to answer the basic questions. Was easy to set up the codes, pricing and inventory organization.

Cons

There was some frustration using matrix's and understanding assemblies. Each business is different obviously... the use of matrix was great at the start but becomes limiting later on for integration to the webstore. Assemblies are cumbersome for automatic ordering.

Think beyond initial implementation

We are aware that every system has something to complain about. Overall we are happy with performance and support from LightSpeed. It's reliable and with the small amount of problems we have we are pleased.

Pros

It's a relatively easy system to navigate. Permission settings are acceptable. Reporting is decent but all very basic unless you purchase Analytics. We use the software for multiple locations but keep separate inventories at each location. We can easily see inventory at other locations, transfer inventory from store to store effortlessly. Creating inventory items is easy as well as setting up pricing rules. Able to customize receipts, labels, and transfer paperwork with some HTML knowledge. Sales are smooth as well. Split payments are pretty easy and relatively intuitive.

Cons

No really good way to do rentals. We are a tennis shop and rent/demo racquets. We had to come up with our own solution. B2C eCom is great - and can use the existing inventory; we have it set up as a separate location so we can see all inventory across eCom and retail - until you want to add B2B. It's difficult and expensive to add B2B and have it work the same as eCom. We learned, much later,...

A great all-inclusive system

Our industry was using a server-based software which was cumbersome and VERY outdated. Switching to Lightspeed has allowed me to more easily fulfil online orders, process transactions remotely, and communicate with our customer base more effectively.

Pros

Integration across POS, eCommerce, Accounting, Data Analytics is excellent. We have been able to increase both sales and efficiency with this system. The accounting feature and its daily export to QuickBooks allows me to spend only a few minutes each day keeping books up to date. It certainly makes year-end a breeze. Lightspeed Analytics is an invaluable resource for forecasting and identifying areas of opportunity. Customer support is available 24/7 and if they aren't able to answer my question immediately, I have received a timely follow-up within a day or two.

Cons

There are some work-arounds that I have implemented. It would be nice to have the option for recurring billing and serial number tracking (not just adding a serial number to an item) as well as a better protocol for backordered items on Purchase Orders.

Great Product with Great Customer Service

Lightspeed is very responsive, not just in sales but in the IT service. They are quick to respond and have always worked patiently with us to resolve any problems, which usually are down to user error. I believe the cost/benefit ratio is optimal and have no plans to seek another POS/ECommerce at this time.

Pros

I really appreciate the seamless integration between the POS and the eCommerce. I also really like that this is all web-based, so that a computer can be used for the interface rather than a cash register that will only serve one function. When there is a problem, Lightspeed is usually ahead of me in giving notice that there is one and gives the approximate timing for the fix. Also, if you have both components and the payment processor is down (like at Christmas), you can easily set up the purchase online and your customer can process their goods and walk out of the shop a happy customer.

Cons

It feels like the frameworks for the eCommerce should be a little easier to use, but I've had much less robust platforms. Also, I'm still trying to find a better solution for shipping for the kind of shop that I have, but don't actually blame Lightspeed. It would be great if there were a more integrated and less expensive phone app add-on for shopping.

A great system overall

Pros

The ease of use for my staff is great. We also love the ability to add purchase orders and receive them with ease. Our old system did not have this. I also like that it has great inventory management. We just did a recent inventory count and that went so much easier than in years past. Also, the reporting is overall very good. It gives you a good insight into your data.

Cons

The Ecom side could use a lot of work. I would love to see a better way to do discounts and markdowns. The way it is set up now is very complicated and makes it a lot harder for us retailers to use. For the retail side, I would love to see a green light button on both the email receipt and email purchase order side. Sometimes I click send email but I can't remember if I actually hit send. A Green/red light would be helpful. Lastly, I would love to see a feature that incorporates a discount on items when receiving a purchase order. Currently, there is a box to input the % discount of $ off but it does not get incorporated into the product cost.

Packs some punch among the punchless

We are a 40 year Brick and Mortar AND E-commerce company that carries 1000s of unique skus. Needing a software that is heavier than just the POS is essential. Inventory management and the ability to integrate with E-commerce was a non-negotiable for my next POS. Lightspeed does have some frequent, mostly minor bugs, it is nice that they constantly update and enhance their program. There often seems...

Pros

Customer Support is included and accessible Intuitive Useful for heavy amounts of inventory Cloud Based Accessible via multiple operating systems Integrated with Cayan for seamless transition from my previous POS Has extensions that enable enhanced reporting, loyalty and ecommerce integration Updates are included

Cons

Frequently Buggy UX issues at times E-commerce integration is through third party Advanced Reporting is an additional cost and is still poorly designed and buggy Long waits for Customer Support Widespread Outages do Occur

Best decision we ever made

The experience has been fantastic. The support staff and sales team have been great. The ease of use is something very special compared to their competition. It has allowed our business to prosper in these uncertain times.

Pros

Being able to always be connected to our point of sale via my phone or computer, no matter where I am has been crucial. With Lightspeed being cloud based, I can work from anywhere I want. I am able to ring up customers on my phone if needed, create purchase orders from trade shows, and stay connected to customers at all times.

Cons

There aren't any real issues that we have had with Lightspeed. They are continuing to improve the workflow with Lightspeed eCom which will only make the overall package even better.

Why I Chose Lightspeed

I especially love the 24 hour help desk.

Pros

Customer service is available 24 hours. During the pandemic obviously the wait time for help took longer but most of the time it was efficient and easy to implement. I am a technological dinosaur and the learning curve was an uphill battle but customer service always came through for me. So happy that the payment options finally were added.

Cons

It has taken me longer than I had expected to integrate my existing business with Lightspeed but that could be because of the pandemic and the wait time involved to get help. I am having difficulties getting my website finished so I can integrate with e-commerce. I wish the billing and administrative department was open on weekends.

Great system for all small businesses

Excellent experience with Lightspeed, I would recommend this platform to any small or medium sized business.

Pros

Lightspeed is very user friendly and easy to teach employees how to use it. The reporting is top-notch and they even can help you create custom reports which was very important to us. Customer service is excellent and always very responsive.

Cons

It would be great if it came with a built in CRM or integrated with one like Salesforce. It's great for franchisees, as a small business, but for the franchisor it may not have all the functionality needed to roll it out to the entire corporate system.

Lightspeed ROCKS!!!

AMAZING

Pros

We operate 4 Cannonball Cafés in Jamaica. This is our second year of using Lightspeed. When we bought the business in 2016, we installed another company's system which, after a few months use, revealed it's weakness for use in a multi-unit business. We plodded along for awhile under the "Better to stay with the Devil you know..." philosophy until a sharp eyed customer got very upset because she...

Cons

Have not found anything to dislike about it.

Easy to build, train and implement

I worked with other POS systems in the past and find Lightspeed much more user friendly than the others. You can build your menu in literally a few hours and the flexibility is amazing! I have not come across a single scenario in the build that isn't already addressed within the system. And the video tutorials are well done, explaining processes step by step, The technical support team are quick to respond and follow through issues to resolution. I recommended Lightspeed to two colleagues already and will continue to share my positive experiences with others.

Pros

*Ability to build system at any location *Ease of use *Well produced self help videos *Ability to delete mistakes *Helpful technical support team *Integration with Cloudbeds

Cons

The end of day closing process is not as clear as it could be

Solid eCommerce Platform

I currently use both Lightspeed eCom & Retail (Omni-channel). This helps our retail store and online store stay synced and makes life easier for employees. Now, all POS sales and eCom sales are in one platform that is easy to use for our employees. If a customer purchases an item in our retail store, ecommerce inventory stays updated.

Pros

I really like that I am able to customize our website and integrate third party apps & APIs easily. And the customer service, the customer service is top notch! Through migration and implementation, the Lightspeed team was right there. At a moment's notice, I can chat with the team or give them a call. Although I may be a one-woman tech team, I have help! It's such a blessing to have a support team for our business. It has been easy to integrate all of our business critical resources and provide a more unified experience for our employees. Employees can access customer data, order data, shipping data, marketing data and product data in one platform. I've been able to customize our store template to our specific business needs and design requirements. It's been a developer's dream.

Cons

My main dislike is that I don't have FTP access to my files on LS servers. This would be extremely helpful to optimize our images as needed. I also would like to upload customer data myself. At this time, to upload customer data in bulk, I have to send the data to Lightspeed for import. More options for discounts and coupons would be helpful - BOGO, Buy 2 Get One, or FREE Shipping codes based on domestic addresses only (not international).

Best decision I made for my business!

Overall, I would recommend Lightspeed POS to any other retailer (especially clothing and shoes) in a heartbeat! If you have been manually counting inventory and have no customer sales data, this is a must. It was easy to set up and continued to be easy to use for me and my employees. The cloud based feature is perfect because I never have to worry about backing up important data and I can "see" my business from any device with internet access. It's brilliant.

Pros

Lightspeed POS provided instant inventory, sales, customer and employee data that was missing from my retail business. It was relatively easy to set up and I had lots of support! The amount of information we now have about our retail business is staggering and it allowed us to connect multiple locations which made inventory transfer a breeze!

Cons

I had hoped for an integrated Loyalty program from the start (this has now been launched). We were manually keeping track of points for our customers which became tedious and inaccurate quickly. The new Loyalty is a good start but it feels a bit clumsy at times and not as customizable as I would like. Sometimes inventory issues pop up when items are returned. For example, special orders from one...

Best POS System in the Business

We had two separate Retail POS systems in our organization. One was so antiquated it had to be replaced and the second one was experiencing issues everyday and the support was lousy. We purchased LightSpeed. I had the Retail Operators go through the setup videos and make decisions on how they wanted to setup the system based on the videos. Then, when the Operators completed their training, I had them configure LightSpeed themselves based on what they learned and the decisions they made. We then entered the inventory and the rest is history. I would recommend LightSpeed to anyone looking for a retail POS no matter what size.

Pros

I have installed numerous POS systems in my 30+ years of experience. LightSpeed is by far the most comprehensive system, yet easiest system to implement and use. There support mechanism is second to none. If you look your question up in help, there will be documentation to answer your question, and chances are there is a video that walks you step by step through the solution. If you feel like you want to get live help, there chat mechanism is one of the best, better yet, the support people on the chat are the most patient and knowledgeable support people in the business. Simply the best.

Cons

I don't have any comments for this section