BigCommerce Logo

Suggested alternatives

cin7
booqable
sellerchamp

BigCommerce is a recent addition to my portfolio and I must say that I am impressed thus far. Their customer support and willingness to be creative to solve an obstacle has impressed me.
BigCommerce is a dedicated ecommerce platform and is thus very suited for any store from simple to sophisticated.
Bigcommerce is a great platform for small businesses or businesses in general that do not have a great budget to start developing their e-commerce.
Every app I’ve installed has caused a problem with another app or the native functionality of the platform. Simple desires have been turned into nightmares and BigCommerce has offered no support.
There are some instances where the lack of control or access to the server has caused us to change some of our plans, but it's nothing I would call a dealbreaker.
Custom styles get very costly. Some features that should be standard are non existent.

JL

Justin L.

PPC Specialist

Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees

BigCommerce Rocks for Companies

Transcript

Justin L.: Hi, my name is Justin. I'm a PPC specialist for Practice Promotions, and I give BigCommerce...

DA

Daniel Alejandro Q.

Owner

Automotive, 1-10 employees

Bigcommerce good for e-commerce store

Transcript

Daniel: Hi, my name is Daniel. I am the manager of a e-commerce company, and I'm giving four stars to...

Nickolas V.

Publishing, 1-10 employees

The Perfect Solution For My Needs

I have been using BigCommerce for the past year to run my online store, and I am extremely satisfied with its performance. One of the standout features of this software is its robust and user-friendly e-commerce platform. It's easy to set up and manage products, process orders, and handle shipping and tax calculations.Another feature that I really appreciate is the integration with various payment gateways, such as PayPal and Stripe. This has made it easy for me to accept payments from my customers and has streamlined my checkout process.Overall, I highly recommend BigCommerce to any business owner looking for a reliable and feature-rich e-commerce platform. Its many features and intuitive design make it a valuable asset for any online store.

Pros

One of the biggest benefits of BigCommerce is its comprehensive marketing and SEO tools. These tools have helped me to effectively promote my products and drive traffic to my store. For example, I have used the built-in email marketing tool to send targeted campaigns to my customers, and I have used the SEO tools to optimize my product pages for search engines.

Cons

BigCommerce provides a wide range of features and functionality, but some users may find that they are limited in their ability to customize certain aspects of their store. For example, users may not be able to fully customize the design or layout of their store, or they may be limited in their ability to add custom functionality or integrations.

LG

Lisa G.

Retail, 1-10 employees

It's been a nice long relationship

Overall, it's been pretty smooth sailing. Customer service is ALWAYS there and trying to help the best they can. They never leave me in the dark. Way easier and faster site than dealing with Magento.

Pros

I have used Bigcommerce for over 8 years. Overall, I think it works better and at a more reasonable cost than other related platforms.

Cons

I have 1k parent skus with 11k child skus. It will not import my large spreadsheet. So if there is a major price change from my brands, it's impossible to import my vendor's .csv or excel sheet. We have to update each regular price and sale price one by one. Takes way too much time to permanantly discount items / sales too.

JG

Jen G.

Consumer Services, 11-50 employees

Used to be a fan … this is so bad

Pros

I had a Big Commerce site in 2012 that I absolutely loved. We left the platform for a while and came back in the end of 2017. For a while things were pretty smooth. However, Big Commerce recommended me to a developer to build our site. They charged me $40,000and built a fully custom site that only they could work on so that they could earn another $3000 to $4000 a month. This is actually a good part of my experience with Big Commerce

Cons

Treat me like I am stupid . Then make changes to the platform without informing anybody that have on numerous occasions cost my company money. They charge WAY too much for how basic the platform is

AK

Alana K.

Definitely better than Shopify

Pros

I like the customer support, usually they can help with any problem. Their stores do a good job out of the box but for me, with over $10,000 products, it was a headache!

Cons

I guess everyone is always looking for more flexibility. Their confirmation, invoice, etc. emails are the worst!

GB

Garrett B.

Consumer Goods, 1-10 employees

Great for rapid growth

Postive. I have been using it for 6+ years already and do not see any reason to leave. it has grown with me over the years.

Pros

Bigcommerce is easy to implement and one of the most versatile ecommerce/inventory/web store/website builder/order management platforms on the market. They are built for you to grow and will work for a startup or for a enterprise.

Cons

I dont like the way they announce new features. Sometimes the degrade a feature but the only way to find out is to attend a "town hall" instead they should just email all users a list of features that are being updated or degraded.

AJ

Asher J.

Consumer Goods, 11-50 employees

BigCommerce is a great online store solution.

We have used BigCommerce for over 6 years, and it has proved to be a fantastic online store solution, offering a simple interface, every feature you need, ease of payment for customers, and simple integration.

Pros

Order management is the strongest point of BigCommerce, and that is exactly what you want from an online store. Integration is simple and accurate, reporting and analytics are comprehensive, and the scalable pricing structure is the cherry on top. An excellent product.

Cons

I really don't have any complaints about BigCommerce. Oh wait, I thought of one - Stop asking me to change my password every 3 months - it's annoying !

HV

Harsha V.

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

Best online platform for start-ups and beginners to innovate business.

This platform helps in starting a new business for starters. The user interface is user friendly in which the products can be built easily with great security. The support in this Application is very helpful in expanding the products over the globe.

Pros

The feature available in this application helps to learn about the current market and help us to build the dedicated products. The marketing of our products online through different applications like Instagram helps in a major Part. The user interface and Mobile user friendly is very helpful. The detailed marketing helps in developing the business overall the globe.

Cons

The themes while building the platform is quite expensive and editing feature can be added which helps in major role. The interface can be improved.

TR

Tim R.

Automotive, 1-10 employees

Big Commerce is our go to platform when developing e-commerce websites for clients.

Excellent. There are a few things that make it harder to sell to clients, but overall, it is an amazing platform and they are constantly trying to make it better.

Pros

Ease of use, customization and reliability. We develop custom Big Commerce e-commerce websites on a regular basis and this is our preferred platform.

Cons

Monthly price is based on trailing 12 months of sales. I understand why it is this way, but for clients with higher priced products, they quickly exceed the maximums. Big Commerce competitors do not have the same business / pricing model which makes it a little harder to sell to potential clients because of this pricing strategy.

sw

seth w.

Automotive, 1-10 employees

Excellent Shopping cart system that keeps getting better

Pros

The interface is extremely easy to use. I love how easy it is to add new products or modify existing products. The developers are constantly improving the shopping cart and adding new features.

Cons

Sometimes when new features are added it causes a problem with the website. Customer service has been extremely helpful in quickly fixing any of these issues.

Chad W.

Internet, 11-50 employees

Easy to make basic sites, difficult to do more

It does the basics well, but there are plenty of e-commerce platforms out there that outperform BigCommerce. In my experience Shopify is better than BigCommerce is every way. I even prefer WordPress with WooCommerce to this.

Pros

BigCommerce does make it easy to list and sell products online. The product manager is pretty comprehensive, and most of the pages are made for you - including the home page. It includes several SEO features out of the box, which encourages users to make higher quality listings that will sell easier. There are many custom themes for Bigcommerce, and most of them look great. The interface has gotten a much needed facelift in the past few years.

Cons

If you're trying to do more than the basics, Bigcommerce (BC) is difficult to work with. App extensions are present, but nowhere close to the breadth and depth of functionality available to WordPress. They do have a theme editor, but it requires tricky setup and command-line actions to update. Compared to Shopify's theme editor which is all in-browser, the BC theme editor is lacking. Documentation...

BW

Brien W.

Arts and Crafts, 1-10 employees

Lack of innovation

tech support is great. Would I make the change now that i know what I know about how big commerce just cares about apps and not making the features native I would have not picked them.

Pros

It is stable. User interface is good. Best Tech support I have ever had from a shopping cart.

Cons

Big Commerce is missing may native features that other shopping carts have already built in. The number one feature is instock notify you have to pay for and since they have apps for it they will never make it native. There store search is one of the worst but f you pay for a app you can get a better search. Also problem when you do find a app there is a big chance that support for the app is a hit or miss.

TL

Tom L.

Wholesale, 51-200 employees

It Does The Job. What You Would Expect For An Ecommerce Site.

We have been using BigCommerce for quite some time now. No so thrill about it nor are we dissatisfied with the platform. For what we need, it does the job. But we would not make it our go-to platform if we need specific function or customization. It seems there's almost little to no guide out there if we want to customize. We have to seek a developer who knows how to customize BigCommerce and even then, they charge quite a bit for what we needed. Would recommend for people who want a basic ecommerce site. But if you want to have customization, Big Commerce is not the way to go.

Pros

It is quick to set up. Easy for a non-technical person to manage when starting out with little to no experience in ecommerce. Has everything you would expect from an e-commerce platform. Great layout for product and checkout page.

Cons

Customization is very limited. Even when you try to get some tech support from their team. They tell you they're not developer and would suggest some options with using their partners services. There's very little help if you want to customize basic attributes. The platform setup is quite limited if you want to change specific part of the layout.

MG

Matt G.

Apparel & Fashion, 11-50 employees

Would switch if I could find something better

Pros

Easy to get up and running. Features are some of the best offered in this class. Pricing doesn't take a cut off of sales.

Cons

Many advanced features lacking or cost extra, like filtered search and navigation. Bugs are fixed and new features are added based on number of requests as opposed to the severity or need of the fix or feature. As a result, some bugs can persist for years if only a few people have reported them. No release notes or detailed info on updates. Overall it seems the company is still run more like a startup...

AM

Adam M.

Public Safety, 1-10 employees

BigCommerce Review

It works, and we need the software as we couldn't integrate two Shopify stores into our ERP. I hope we can expect BigCommerce to keep adding features because they really do have a lot of catching up to do.

Pros

We stated using BigCommerce as the software behind our new website redesign. We like the ease of setting up the products, product customization and the large pool of experienced companies that design BigCommerce storefronts. It was easy to get setup and our new website was running in about 6 months.

Cons

The order management system they have in place is just not good. You cannot edit orders. Which customers expect us to be able to do. If a customer wants to add an item you can add the item, but you cannot charge the customer for the additional item within BigCommerce software. Same goes with removing items from orders. If you remove an item from an order it does not give you an option to refund the...

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

Good Platform but has some fatal flaws

Not bad for simple stores. Support is responsive, but isn't very helpful. It's strange how many times I've contact developer support and said oops, looks like we don't have documentation for that. They roll out upgrades to their backend that are still very buggy.

Pros

Easy product management, plenty of payment gateways available, decent theme store. Handles product options / variants better than Shopify. Has some good B2B / wholesale features out of the box.

Cons

Themes are over bloated with way too many files. You can't edit the CSS and JS files online. Makes relatively easy changes (on other platforms) too time consuming. Often suffers from indexing delays and/ or caching issues so that your changes or new products you add take 30+ minutes to show up on the site. Main navigation menu is automated. You have to either hard code a menu or use an app if you want customizations to your menu. Stencil CLI can either work smoothly for editing themes or you'll spend hours chasing down compatibility issues. No way in store to easily find orphan pages.

AB

Amir B.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Very good and reasonably priced

Very good site builder and systems. I woudln't go back to hosting our own site as you can get everything you want for a better price and with great support.

Pros

Bigcommerce is a very good alternative to building your website, in fact probably better. It has a lot of features and different pricing bands which compared to other systems are a lot more fairer. Can integrate with a lot of multi-channel providers or integrate services into as well as specifically designed apps for you website.

Cons

Can be hard to change the template yourself to make it different other than purchasing different templates.

PE

Peter E.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Wish I Had Switched Earlier

My Previous ECommerce Provider did NOT make the transition to SSL smoothly and caused me to lose numerous customers. Also their periodic billing at first worked, then failed and they were unable to fix it. Big Commerce is on top of it. They come out with new features. Up time is good. Questions and problems are dealt with speedily and with correctness.

Pros

Ease of Use and Straight Forward. It works well.

Cons

I had GREAT difficultly replacing my billing credit card. My previous credit card had been compromised. I needed to replace it. My undergrad degree is in Electrical Engineering! It took me 1 hour and a call to Customer Service to replace my card number to bill me. There should also be a BACK UP credit card, in case the old credit card fails. But there is none. Sometimes my customers call me because they canNOT understand the check out OR their computer may have a virus that does not allow them to check out. Amazon does NOT have this problem. If Big Commerce can make a check out that is equal to Amazon's, I and my customers would be happier.

Bianca L. P.

It's okay.

Pros

We moved from Shopify to Bigcommerce because Shopify lacked features that Bigcommerce had out of the box such as proper product categories, saved payments, one-page checkout among others. These features have worked well and our conversion rates went from 3% to over 10%. Bigcommerce is great for more complicated product catalogs with lots of categories and skus whereas Shopify is great for simple catalogs.

Cons

Bigcommerce continues to build out new features rather than fixing problems with current ones. Every week I hear about a new payment processor or some random feature that's built half-baked. I've been very, very frustrated at the lack of thought behind many features and their inability to fix simple problems. Their API's are a mess, with some of the API's passing all the data you need, and other's missing important data needed - so we're creating functions to call information that should be (and easily can be) included in the objects returned by the API. There is NO mobile application, even to check simple things like orders, which is the most ridiculous thing given we're in 2019.

RM

Rebecca M.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

I love BigCommerce

Whenever an order is placed, I see it immediately in my email. I print the invoice, pass off to my staff, and they process using Ship Station, which is integrated through BigCommerce. All of our sales are saved and easy to search through on BigCommerce. When working with changing the look, etc., of the site, very easy to do. Customer service. Love the live chat option, and whenever I call I can talk with someone very quickly. Excellent service.

Pros

My business is a healthcare practice with a brick and mortar shop and online store for purchasing products and services. BigCommerce has been so easy to work with. I have been with them for some 10 years plus and couldn't be more satisfied. Customer service is top-notch, fast, and always available 24/7.

Cons

I want to be able to go in and make a printable catalogue. I don't know that any software provides that, so not a complaint.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees

A quick start platform with very good expanded features

Really a very good platform for a large variety of business sizes. It's not just for the little guys, its expandable and will grow with you.

Pros

This platform is quick and easy to setup, it also has advanced promotion features that many other platforms do not.

Cons

Some of the connected features are harder to manage than expected.

Shreyank J.

Accounting, 11-50 employees

Great software for ambitious sellers who want to sell on multiple platforms

Overall experience was pretty good but since some of our users find it hard to understand some features and due to the lack of quick fixes in the software we have decided to migrate to the other saas platform. We used bigcommerce for up to 2 years for e-commerce purposes to sell across different countries.

Pros

The most likable thing about this software is there are no platform fees associated unlike other platforms like Shopify. Also, they have some great free features and smooth integration techniques with other platforms allowing the sellers to sell in the different markets without much of a hassle

Cons

The setup is not so easy and quick compared to other saas platforms. It's hard to locate and understand some features unless you have used them before which makes it not reachable for quick fix commerce, it needs some time and patience to fix the issues

RR

Richelle R.

Good option for small businesses

Pros

Big Commerce in general is very easy to use. The ecommerce site that we set up looks lovely, and seems to work most of the time. Looks professional and syncs well with paypal to process payment.

Cons

There have been a few times that our site went down for unexplained reasons. Luckily customers have let us know and it was resolved quickly once we reached out to bigcommerce, but it is disconcerting that it went down in the first place. One time all of our products just disappeared. BigCommerce support was able to find them and re-establish all, but still not sure why that happened. This software seems expensive for a small business with a small budget, and then to have issues like this. They did not offer a refund or anything, and we have no way of knowing how long our site was down for.

MD

Melissa D.

Big Commerce

Our overall experience with BigCommerce was excellent. The customer service team was always available. The site features were easy to navigate and the theme options were professionally designed.

Pros

Big Commerce features and website themes are perfect for small business owners who are looking to start a retail business.

Cons

The platform is not set up for multi-vendor marketplace stores.

SS

Sanoussy S.

Telecommunications, 201-500 employees

Bigcommerce review

Bigcommerce is a very good software that I use for 2 years for e-commerce purposes to sell in different countries.

Pros

Bigcommerce allowed me to develop a simplistic software that allowed us small and medium businesses to operate on a large scale.

Cons

The configuration of the application is not so simple and fast from another platform, because the payment is not slow.

GD

Gordon D.

Sporting Goods, 1-10 employees

BigCommerce is what keeps my business going

BigCommerce keeps my business going and does it easily. I have 1 other person that works with me so any excessive time spent on peripheral tasks cuts into our production significantly. With Bigcommerece I have not had to worry about that at all and get to keep doing what pays the bills.

Pros

As a web based business it is imperative that my website work and as a small business I have to be able to keep it going myself. BigCommerce fits both of those for me. I have set it up and managed it all myself. Some things are easier than others but overall this software is great.

Cons

Although they are constantly adding apps that integrate, there are not as many options as some other companies but they are constantly adding and updating them.