Viewpoint Spectrum Reviews

4.0

How would you rate Viewpoint Spectrum?

KB

Kaylee B.

This software is very user friendly. The ability to export reports/data to excel is also wonderful and used almost daily.

MB

Michelle B.

I like the powerful reporting capabilities, and the all-in-one use of the Spectrum. We are able to do AP, AR, GL management, job costing, billing, etc, all within the system.

LA

Leigh Anne L.

Cons

Reports that come with the software are terrible. They expect you to pay for corrections to there reports and reports that come standard with other software.

SM

Sheila M.

So far none other than self inflicted ones. What I mean by this is that our older system was a mess and conversion was made more difficult by that.

SC

Steve C.

One of the biggest problems we’ve seen is that the new Versions seem to be released before they are thoroughly checked, and there are repeat problems.

AZ

Amy Z.

I am the administrator for Spectrum in our company and overall the Experience has been very good!

Ease of administration and our accounting team rarely has any issues with the software

Pros

The support team is amazing. They are extremely helpful and are good at fixing the annoying bugs and getting to the root causes of our problems. The accounting and hr side of the software works extremely well and I have very few if any complaints or issues that I have to fix or call support for.

Cons

The project manangement side of the software was never really completed so its less than impressive. But I think on the positive side since Viewpoint has purchased Spectrum I think that integrating it with their Team software will make a huge difference in this section!

We think our customer support team is amazing, too. Thank you! You¿re absolutely right about our project management focus moving to the Viewpoint Team platform, which is now integrated with Spectrum and has a product development roadmap that will open up a lot of new PM functionality to Spectrum/Team users.

2 years in and we're still learning.

We've found errors in the software. When we reached out to Spectrum to ask for a fix we were told it was our own fault, asked us to pay for the fix, passed around, then finally Spectrum said it was their fault and would begin to fix. No timeline was given however. We need better customer service or IT turnaround times. It is incredibly frustrating to reach out with an issue, or suggest a much needed feature, with little or no response.

Pros

Document imaging is great. We also enjoy the invoice approval feature. Took us a while to implement and learn the system (well, we're still learning).

Cons

Payroll adjustments we'd like to do behind-the-scenes and not on a paycheque are a nightmare. The inability to track the purchaser of AP invoices. We use a user-defined field, but it does not link to the payroll module. Definitely not as user friendly as we would have liked (we came from Quickbooks though). The pricing module sucks. We need to pay for amount of users at one time (as some users access maybe once a week at most), not for named users.

Spectrum - Great features but could be better

Pros

Document imaging is truly built inside the software. The image storage was built inside every module for anything you want to scan. All of our AP (invoices, vendor contracts, Insurance Certs), AR (invoice supporting documents, MSA's), equipment files (titles, registrations), etc. were stored electronically and very easy to review. When approving AP, right inside the pre-check register I could review...

Cons

We had problems keeping the TB in balance. At least every three months, we had a transaction that only posted 1/2 of the entry, so when we ran a trial balance, it was out of balance (and the rebuild utilities wouldn't fix it), we then had to spend hours researching witch entry didn't post correctly, figure out the other side of the entry and then pay someone with backdoor access to recreate the missing...

Construction Software

I am a project accountant and have been a Spectrum user since 1996 when it was called ForeFront and this is the only construction software I've used. Overall I find the software easy to use. I've participated in training led by Spectrum trainers and their help and advise is invaluable. The ability to export data in different file types for analysis - exporting to excel file, data only is one I use regularly. We're also lucky to have an IT software support specialist with extensive Spectrum background who is able to provide SQL reports for those times when the standard reports and exports don't give us enough flexibility with the data for analysis.

Pros

Most processes in Spectrum are intuitive for the user.

Cons

As a long time user of Spectrum, we have a heavily customized Job Cost Report. It's becoming more difficult to accommodate our custom needs as new versions are released.

I am always learning something new with Spectrum!

I benefit daily from spectrum from payroll and certified payroll reports it really is helpful to get those reports from spectrum and every Contractor I have sent them to has excepted them. We also benefit from job costs and equipment costs management .

Pros

What I like most about spectrum is it really is an all in one program and is always improving, also being able to pull reports on jobs and costs is very convenient and easy.

Cons

Customer support be a bit time consuming. There is so much to spectrum that it can be a bit overwhelming if you are a smaller company.

Spectrum for Construction Project Management

We use Spectrum on a daily basis for our accounting/project management software. Once the reports are honed to what you need and you learn where everything is, it takes care of everything we need it to.

Pros

Very powerful for tracking projects and integrating accounting. Lots of features, many more than I will ever actually use, but it can do just about anything you need it to.

Cons

Definitely a learning curve and takes time to find how/where to accomplish certain tasks.

Feels like service is going backwards

It qives our accounting team the tools they need to provide a quick and accurate overview for our company. They are able to perform all accounting functions in one platform.

Pros

Familiar feel, rather easy to train new users. Features are simple and quick to learn. It has served our company well for numerous years.

Cons

Customer service and new features feel like that are going backwards. Takes forever to get issues solved when a few years ago it was quick

OK

It is fine, easy to use, I use it everyday, it has some bugs sometimes but nothing really serious, some features need to improve.

Pros

I would say is easy to use, it has all in the box, ok for a PM software.

Cons

They need to improve some features, I would like to have a punch list section and somehow tie schedule to the software to track my cost/schedule.

Spectrum uses

Pros

The capture of information and the ability to find that information in inquiries rather than running reports

Cons

Customization of reports has to be done thru a different software. Delay in improvements to the software

User Friendly

Pros

It is easy to enter invoices, make payments on them and do research on vendors and accompanying jobs.

Cons

The customer service is very hard to get ahold of. Also, the software is good for small or medium sized companies but not large ones.

Full featured software package

As with any large, complex and flexible software package like Spectrum, it can be rather complicated to set up and train users in operating it. We have been overall pleased in using it since we switched back in 2009. During this time our business has just about tripled in size and we do not feel as if we have out grown it.

Pros

Lots of modules available with a fairly robust implementation, continuing active additions of new features and improvements, document imaging allows easy access to attached documents, security rights for employees can be adjusted down to individual menu selections if necessary, customer support is very good and transparent (we are notified if something doesn't work as expected with suggested workarounds - even if we didn't report the issue), and the ability to create custom reports in Crystal.

Cons

While subscriptions for updated US and state income tax tables are available, local income tax tables are not. When a sales/use tax code is entered into the screen, it cannot be marked inactive if it is no longer used (there are some other setups with the same issue). If a report has been previewed or exported in one form (pdf, for example), it cannot be immediately exported in another (such as Excel) without re-running the report. While most reports run quickly, there are some that can take a while and having to wait the additional time for the same information can be frustrating.

Great product has some flaws but nothing we were not able to work around.

It's been a great product that we've used for the last 9 years.

Pros

The way that as technology changes they system is updated to match.

Cons

Vacation accrual system is not what I'd like it to be. I have to do my own spreadsheet to get it to work properly.

In-Depth Program With Great Potential

Overall I do like Spectrum. I feel like there are areas it could improve in and that I could be made more modern/ appealing to the eye. When I am busy I am able to answer the phone and navigate through Spectrum quickly to get the information I need right away. The depth of the program is a very good thing as long as they focus on having ways to be able to dig deep quickly or else finding information can become a headache.

Pros

I really like all the different reports that are made available. There are many places to add all different kinds of information and once the information is added in Spectrum allows you to pull reports for everything. Another feature I like a lot is the Favorites Bar. Spectrum is very broad and the Favorites Bar makes it very easy to quickly assess certain features of Spectrum that are specific to your role.

Cons

Some features about the software can be "glitchy" in certain features. For instance we have a tab with lots of information added in to one thing and this can cause Spectrum to freeze up and I will have to close completely out and log back in and start over what I was working on at the time. We have tried different recommendations to resolve this issue, but we get the same result.

A daily tool

Pros

Spectrum gives me an instant look at open POs or subcontracts, payment history, job and equipment costs, helps to manage compliance (licensing, current COI, etc.), time reports, timecards, vendors, phase/GL/job codes. I can instantly find out whether an invoice has been paid, when we invoiced a customer, whether new equipment has been added to inventory. We have nearly eliminated paper files using Spectrum and digital files. In the past couple of years, Viewpoint has created an outstanding suite of user support that ranges from daily updates, web-based free training, and a responsive staff that helps find learning resources or the right technician/trainer to answer questions. The Viewpoint Network was a game changer for me.

Cons

The reporting function is limited if you don't know Crystal Reports, and the reports aren't consistent. Some are available in comma delimited format, which makes it relatively easy to structure the information in Excel. Others download only as preformatted Excel reports, using an older version of Excel, which is awkward to use.

From an AR Perspective

Overall Spectrum is a time saver. It has helped bring project management into the loop of being able to resolve customer issues. The best part is it has allowed me to be able to work from home two days a week for a year now!

Pros

The navigation make it so you can figure out what you need to do next with a minimum amount of training on how to use the system. The customizable reports are a great asset. Billing reports are easy to pull together.

Cons

Draw Request is my least favorite in this system. When you open draw request it shows you in the upper right in financials you have previous work. The total schedule of values is NOT showing. If you have amounts in both this period and materials stored the system will not give you a total of combined for the draw. Also when you are in the draw the entire line needs to highlight while scrolling down for the line you need. It gets very frustrating at times. When something is entered into job cost under the wrong phase, there needs to be a way to change the phase and not have to do multiple entries for negative to to incorrect phase and a positive to the correct phase. That would be ha huge time saver.

Very User Friendly

Pros

The software is very user friendly. It is easy to navigate the multiple screens throughout the software. The integration/implementation of the software was a pretty smooth process as well. Customer service is always very helpful, and they almost always find a solution to my problem the same day. I love that you can customize all of the different module options in Spectrum to fit the needs of each company/user.

Cons

We started using Spectrum before there was a "cloud" option, and now all of the new modules or field apps require you to be a user of their cloud instead of self-hosted. This is unfortunate since many companies made a significant investment when initially switching to a self-hosted Spectrum platform. We are either forced to switch to the cloud and pay a significantly higher price each year or miss out on all of the new features of Spectrum.

This reviewer only left a rating

I am employed by a large, heavy civil construction contractor in Oregon. I was hired five years ago in the payroll department, and Spectrum was the software that this company was already using. In the past, I had used a construction software called Foundation which was exceptional at job costing materials by piece versus hourly wage. Spectrum's latest upgrade to the new version 14 has had some major...

Excellent construction accounting software

Our experience with Spectrum has been good over the 6 years we are using the software.

Pros

This software does a good job of integrating our construction operations. We do not use the project management part of it though. We do a lot of job costing for our projects.

Cons

I think the inventory module should be modernized and brought up to current standards. It is not very easy to use.

Spectrum 14.24

Like all programs that have a significant number of features, the more your staff learns about the software the better the ROI. The user interface has a lot going on and can be overwhelming at first. However, there is a logic to it and once learned a diverse array of features can be accessed quickly.

Pros

The ability to access many features from one screen. The connectivity of features on screen. For example, if a job is displayed, all of the customer information is available as well. No need to add software to each workstation, software runs within a browser (I've used Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox and my cell phone browser, I understand other browsers are supported as well) All reports can be emailed right from the display screen.

Cons

Many of the reports must be customized to meet user needs. Some features are not located in an intuitive place. Financial statement writer is basic and pretty weak.

We have been with Spectrum since 1997 (when it was Forefront). This software is a workhorse!

Ease of use and great support!

Pros

I like how easy this program is to use. If I can't find the report I need, I can easily export to Excel or Crystal Reports. The document imaging module saves us time when we need to review invoices or other documentation later. When I have issues, the support team is right there and usually can fix the problem while we are on the phone. It is rare for us to have an open ticket.

Cons

There are some differences between modules. When you exit a previewed report, some take you back to the site map while others take you back to the report page so you can adjust and run again if necessary. Consistency would be nice. It isn't a big deal, it could save a few steps.

You have truly seen the evolution of the software, going all the way back to the Forefront days. Wow! Thank you for your support through the years, Karen. We really value your partnership.

Great for Costing, Not for investigation of transactions, terrible for CDN Payroll

While the product has great features for costing, the reports and review capabilities are limited. It is very difficult to drill down on certain types of transactions and get enough information. There are also many issues with Canadian Payroll and a lack of support with knowledge. The new upgrade also has many bugs and requires a significant amount of time with developers to take corrective action. While this is free of charge, does not seem to respect that my time spent costs the company money. I don't trust the accuracy of posting in Spectrum.

Pros

It is really great for costing. It provides simple job costing for labour, equipment, and cost management. There is free product support (US based) and (most of) the people there are extremely helpful and want to help y ou find a solution.

Cons

-The biggest flaw is the very small field space for memo lines. We have to keep many backup journals -If any payments are made other than through the AP module, it is really difficult to drill down on a prior transaction. -Posting errors for payroll (such as posting to the wrong job or equipment number) can only be corrected by completely voiding and re-entering the entire payroll. There are obviously times where an employee is going to mix up information. We can do a correcting journal entry so the costs are correct, however, labour cost reports don't pick up Journal Entries.

Four years and counting

Pros

I have been using Spectrum V14 since it was released. I like the apps on the Site Map and the shortcuts menu. I train our project manager and project engineers on this software regularly and these two areas I think get used the most by our people. I promote these areas on a regular basis and encourage everyone to use the ones we have already created and also create their own.

Cons

My wish list would include a link to Outlook for ease of obtaining and maintaining a list of current contacts. Also, RSS feeds hardly ever get used, but links to actual websites would be a better feature. Also, insurance tracking feature is confusing when working between the vendor and the job-specific side. It would be very helpful if the Help Menu broke down the available features related to insurance and how each one can or should be used.

Love Spectrum

I used Spectrum at least 15 years. The best major financial and construction software. One thing I truly like is the Tech Support. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is the best one. Besides the question I asked, he can always be proactive to provide me more info on the related items I need to know. Others are good, too.

Pros

User friendly. Experienced Tech Support. Listening to the customers' needs, and always growing with better function. I used Oracle before. It's very hard to use. No common sense and always have to check for error. Although we can't customize a software like Oracle JD Edwards, but it's actually better. As a user, we don't need to "design" a software. We only need a software that works and easier to use.

Cons

My only complain is still the Time off Bank. The effective date should be the Work Period End Date, not the Pay Date.

Spectrum

Difficult at first to navigate. Set and implementation was horrible. Training not good

Pros

I like the different detailed functions. attachments, tracking, invoice approval routing, T&M billing when it works forrect

Cons

reports. the standard reports are not what i need. T&M billing does not always work correctly. Invoice corrections are messy. not clean. Can not reverse invoice when it is assigned a PO without approving even though invoice is not approved. The have to reverse. and reeer.

Great System!

My overall experience with Spectrum has been great, their customer service seems to have declined slightly since the merge with Viewpoint, but hopefully that gets better with time.

Pros

I am a huge fan of Spectrum, coming from a different system that was way too slow and couldn't handle the amount of data we had in it, I feel as if Spectrum is a great system that is always upgrading and shifting. We have been a customer since 2016 and I have nothing but good things to say about the software.

Cons

I would say there are a few things I dislike about the system, but the biggest dislike would probably be the fact that you need to void invoices and invoice numbers to make any kind of change on them.