FreshBooks Logo

4.3K

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.43/10

Reviews by rating

It has a great interface which makes it feel very easy to use and has a great set of templates you can use from the beginning for various accounting needs.
For a small company as myself the excellent invoice features has been very helpful and useful.
FreshBooks combined with other applications is a great tool. In any case, if you want to create invoices and send it in a split second and then track and monitor its progress, I recommend FreshBooks.
We would lose all of that if we switched, so unfortunately we are stuck with having to use this horrible new format.
It is really frustrating to have a client not be able to pay through the invoice, and for this reason, only, I have been considering a new software company.
Tier based pricing from Lite to Premier is a bit confusing. WePay advocates having a Chase bank account for faster processing otherwise fails to integrate.

4,377 reviews

Dinos P.

President

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

I use FreshBooks because it's support kicks ass...

Transcript

Dinos: Hello, my name is Dinos, and I am president and a website consultant. And with FreshBooks, I give...

Jim S.

Manager

Information Services, 1-10 employees

FreshBooks - Works for Any Business

Transcript

Jim: Hi, I'm Jim. I work in the education and trade industry and I would give FreshBooks a five out of...

Allison G.

Management Consulting, 1-10 employees

Great Invoicing Tool for Time Tracking

Freshbooks does manage the following VERY well: Time tracking against projects and clients; invoice creation based on tracked time; and one-off invoices or flat rate pricing. I also like the clean and easy to navigate interface.Generating and reading historical reports is quick and easy to determine things like, how quickly specific clients are paying (and who is historically slower at paying), income by client and income by project/work type.The phone app is functional for my needs, although it's a little clunky and not nearly as full featured as the desktop software. It's not bad, but not great. I have successfully tracked time on the app, then issued an invoice from my phone to my client's email inbox.Overall, Freshbook fulfills my needs as a consultant.

Pros

I really like Freshbooks for it's easy invoicing and time tracking. I was able to integrate it with Teamwork project management software so that more complex jobs that require detailed time tracking against tasks and milestones could be tracked there and then my time could be exported to Freshbooks. Freshbooks also integrated with my Paypal gateway, allowing me to accept major credit cards.

Cons

Freshbooks collaboration with other contractors doesn't work very well. In addition, the per-client pricing has gotten pricey for those of us who have many one-off clients.The retainer payments feature was not easy to use.

Shayla B.

Internet, 1,001-5,000 employees

Freshbooks Track and manage expenses well

FreshBooks is exceptional in its simplicity of use, making it a great choice for any business's accounting needs. In the beginning, it helped us save time by allowing us to automate a few procedures. Create polished invoices that will impress your customers in no time at all.

Pros

Through FreshBooks' Project and tracking function, monitoring project costs is a breeze. Using the Project feature makes billing a breeze. There is a clean design to the user interface that makes navigating swiftly and easily possible. It's possible to modify the categories of business expenses to meet specific requirements. Getting a copy to my accountants was a breeze.

Cons

As such, its capability in relation to ledgers falls short of what one may expect from a product designed for major corporations. The prior version of FreshBooks was more dependable than the current one, therefore the most recent update was a major setback for the program's reputation. The cost varies widely depending on the version you choose.

No Two-Factor Authentication - Very bad overall security

Freshbooks has been in business for years but does not have a basic Two-Factor Authentication feature to prevent hackers from gaining unauthorized access to customers' accounts. Not having this feature borders on negligence. This is a basic standard feature that other cloud accounting software XERO and Quickbooks have had for years. Not having two-factor authentication is alarmingly bad because tens...

Pros

Ease of use and straightforward, simple interface. Easy invoicing.

Cons

Freshbooks lacks all of these industry standard security features: No Two-Factor Authentication at login. No IP address blocking to prevent certain IP addresses from logging in my account. No log/audit showing when I last logged in and out of the account. No forced internet timeout/log out when the account has been left untouched for a while. This is standard on other online accounting software and is used by most banks as a security feature.

Hey there, thank you for taking the time to share your review of FreshBooks. I certainly understand where you're coming from regarding features like two-factor authentication. While my colleague that you spoke with recently is correct that this isn't a feature we currently offer, I have flagged your feedback for our Product Team to review directly. This is a team we have a FreshBooks who reviews and gathers customer feedback for issues and concerns like what you've raised. If there's any other feedback you wish to provide, please don't hesitate to reach our to our Support Team at 1-866-303-6061 Monday through Friday, 8am-8pm EST or support@freshbooks.com. ^DM

JW

John W.

Design, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Freshbooks is Great... But...

Overall I'm pleased with Freshbooks. There are some things I don't like about it (as indicated in the Cons question.

Pros

Freshbooks is easy to learn, use, and continue to utilize. It has a clean and easy-to-understand interface. Recurring invoices are sent each month on time. I never have any issues with funds transferring to my bank account.

Cons

I very much dislike the fact that there are so many additional options blocked behind secondary / tertiary paywalls. I feel that with the price I pay each year most/all of these features should be unlocked. An additional $20 or more per month to be able to automatically charge a saved credit/debit card is ridiculous.

Kimani N.

Accounting, 51-200 employees

Like human fingerprints, Freshbooks is Unique

Freshbooks have proved to be dependable over the years. It's accuracy and efficiency remain unmatched

Pros

Using Freshbooks has been a game changer for me and my team. It's interface is friendly and easy to navigate saving us on setting up time and helping us keep everything neatly organized. Freshbook is a unique platform whose touch of excellence in accounting and expense management stood out for me in comparison to other tools in the market. I find it's performance and reliability top notch in functions like generation and invoices tracking which is complete. It's decency in tracking expenses is on its own level. I am also able to execute receipt approvals, billable hours and keep financial records which are the major accounting roles making it an ultimate accounting solution

Cons

To be honest I have not encountered a single thing I dislike about Freshbooks. As an accountant who have used lots of accounting softwares I can recommend freshbooks to anyone out there for efficient execution of his/her accounting needs

Robin C.

Accounting on rails

It just makes life simple. I just wanted to be able to find the easiest way possible to invoice clients in a professional way and manage the client accounts while minimising the work that I had to do or outsource.This solution really did tickle the boxes for me and saves me a lot of time from the manual system I was using previously.

Pros

It's really easy to get started. There has obviously been a lot of effort being put into making the initial process as easy as possible, from branding and colours on the invoicing, to integrating with payment processors et cetera.The daily process is also very easy to manage. It's a five minute job to set up a new client and send them an invoice straight from Freshbooks using existing products and...

Cons

I had a certain amount of trouble with one client when I was trying to set up direct debit payments, and while I got really great support the process didn't seem that reliable in this particular case. This was the only occasion where I had any major difficulties though that weren't caused by myself for the client.

jk

jawad k.

Hospitality, self-employed

Freshbooks will start you off 80% off

Very good.. servers are connected properly no problems there

Pros

I liked that they have a free trial and on top of that they starting you off with the first four months at 80% off

Cons

I mean it's your standard accounting software but I have OCD and wish it was flashier. It's user friendly but dull

LP

Lauren P.

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Great system

Pros

I love how easy it is to create an invoice, set up auto invoicing and auto payments.

Cons

When clients pay via credit card or ACH it takes nearly a week sometimes to receive the money through fresh books.

JA

Julietta A.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

One of the Successful platforms for reading and analyzing different topics.

Pros

Availability and easier to find and read the necessary books.

Cons

There are spheres that are not included.

ik

ioanna k.

Entertainment, self-employed

Used monthly for less than 6 months

affordable and easy to use

Pros

the good mobile apps, the time tracking is very useful

Cons

The dashboard could be better and the added costs

RC

Ryan C.

Construction, 1-10 employees

Barely passed high school math - and I'm now the bookkeeper

I love Freshbooks. We used Quickbooks up until I made the decision in January to say I was done stuggling with their program. We had tried the desk top and online versions and they both are so overwhelming with useless features that just get in the way of the simple bookkeeping and accounting needs that our particular business have. I have been asked by other women in business, if I can help them...

Pros

Pretty much everything. The dashboard, estimating, reports, client organization, etc etc. This product is outstanding.

Cons

The type A personality in me would love to be able to close out the books monthly, but I'll take the trade off if it means my books stay balanced - which they always do in Freshbooks. I also wish the mobile app was more of an interactive user app, vs being more of a quick snapshot of our business.

FE

Fran E.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

So much better than Quickbooks

I started with Freshbooks back in 2011, a colleague recommended I switch to Quickbooks, which I did. It only lasted a year before I went back to Freshbooks. Even though it was a pain to switch, it was worth it because when I have a problem with Freshbooks, I just send an email to help@freshbooks.com and they answer me the same day, usually. With Quickbooks, it was too hard to get support. It's not a double entry bookkeeping program, so if you need that, it's not for you. But for basic invoicing (including automatic recurring on any timeframe), time tracking, expense tracking, and reporting, it's perfect.

Pros

Easy to use, interface. Excellent customer support.

Cons

There is a chrome extension for tracking time, in addition to within the app. The chrome extension was recently updated and is now not working properly. When you type the project name in it doesn't auto search, you have to scroll them all of them (and I have a lot) to select it now. They will fix it, i'm sure. Sometimes have trouble with expense syncing, and would like more features to make that faster and easier to categorize.

AK

Alicia K.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Fine if you are the only one in your business

It was rated well, so I expected better performance. Reconciling the small transactions I get from health insurance companies is very time consuming and it seems like there should be a better way to add those payments without having to manually enter each one when I have to reconcile. Invoices default to "accrual" accounting which is a pain if you use cash-based accounting (which I do). Overall, I have not been able to have accurate business numbers (profit/loss) for months because trying to figure out how to add payroll info has been so challenging.

Pros

I loved that I could upload clients I frequently invoice when I transitioned. Setting up my bank links was very simple and transactions were downloaded easily. You can set up rules for accounts and they will follow those. Invoices look good and are easy to create.

Cons

The software does not support accounting if you have employees and are paying any benefits. Trying to separate out the cost of what my employees contribute to health insurance, retirement, etc. vs what I contribute has been a nightmare. My bookkeeper and I both spent a lot of time with Freshbooks support trying to figure out how to do that. Turns out it is with a journal entry which is time consuming and makes no sense.

Hey Alicia, thank you for taking the time to share your review of FreshBooks. I have ensured that your feedback about your accounting experience in FreshBooks has been passed along to our Product Team on your behalf. If there is any other feedback you wish to share, or queries our team can assist with, the contact information for our Support Team can be found here: https://www.freshbooks.com/contact ^DM

SS

Swati S.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Freshen up Your Finances with FreshBooks!

While FreshBooks is a useful accounting software for managing your business finances, its pricing may not be reasonable for some users. The starting cost of $15 per month is quite heavy, and additional features require extra payment. It's worth noting that the customer care service may not be satisfactory, as you may have long conversations with support staff without reaching a solution.

Pros

FreshBooks is a simple and user-friendly invoicing and accounting software that is especially useful for beginners. Whether you're running a small business or you're a freelancer with limited time to invest in managing your finances, FreshBooks is the solution you've been looking for. With a user-friendly interface and easy-to-use data uploading capabilities, FreshBooks has everything you need to simplify...

Cons

FreshBook is an accounting software for managing the finace for your business but its pricing is somehow not resonable i guess it heavely charged starting from $15 and you also have to pay extra for additional features. i would like point put ts customer care which is not at stifactory they indulge in long conerstion and still you reach to the solutuon tyou are looking for.

YR

Yvonne R.

Design, 1-10 employees

Great Invoicing Software for Designers

Freshbooks has a cleaner and more user friendly interface than any accounting software that I’ve used. My CPA complains that the back end is not as robust as Quickbooks, but other than that, it’s the best for creatives in my opinion

Pros

I love the ability to create proposals with pictures and a client signature line. Also, the app is pretty great.

Cons

I’d like to be able to add pictures through the app, but it’s never worked. The back end for taxes and reconciling found be better according to my cpa

RF

Russell F.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

Extraordinary item combined to the friendliest help in financial software

The most significant thing with this product is efficient. I adore everything about FreshBooks. It is a great application for specialists and little organizations. I have been utilizing it for as long as couple of years and rate it the best programming in the market. At whatever point I had issues, the help group helped me to determine them rapidly with successful arrangements.

Pros

Probably the main motivations we picked FreshBooks over other programming: *Incredibly smooth and simple to utilize interface *Ability to mark your own in hues just as include your logo *Each client can be doled out their own charging gateway login and you can have various customers under one organization however each have diverse username *Utilizes Braintree instalments (our essential vendor processor) FreshBooks...

Cons

*Reporting could be improved *Needs better compromise as far as parities. You can do day by day monetary records, yet I would prefer to have it ascertain how my business is getting along dependent on capital in our present record, at that point factor in what we earned and our costs. *Not useful for organizations that have stock, need stock administration (this I wouldn't really rate as a con nonetheless,...

BM

Brad M.

Events Services, self-employed

Accounting for dummies

Overall I cant fault the product and would definitely recommend it to any business owner. The only thing I wish was possible, is to pay in my local currency for budgeting purposes.

Pros

I started using Freshbooks when I was given the opportunity to start a company in the wedding industry. At the time I had no idea what I was doing when it came to bookkeeping but FreshBooks made it easy to manage. What I loved about the software was the journey I followed, from Quotation to final invoice. The ability to send the quote/invoice with a simple click streamlined my business process. I eventually...

Cons

The price point was a bit of a hard pill to swallow, especially in an economy where the $ is much stronger than my local currency. The fluxuating market made budgeting a nightmare, and when getting a start up off the ground, every cent counts. While I could work around that, the one thing I disliked was the fact that one could go back and edit invoices/quotes post creation. I have since learnt that this is a big no no, but at the time I was non the wiser. I unfortunately lost money due to this, as many cash sales invoices were edited, and the balance pocketed.

Gaurav C.

Used monthly for less than 6 months

FreshBooks is a reliable and fast accounting suite for complex financial management

A complete makeover FreshBooks developers understand the struggle of small teams to handle complex accounting projects and deliver efficient results. Just as easy as you know it to be Back in the days, a team of developers decided to design an easy, intuitive, and non-accountant friendly finance management app, and promised their users that this approach will never change. Mobile-friendly and accessible FreshBooks...

Pros

businesses get to manage invoices and recurring subscriptions in less than no time, and collect online payments within the same system. In fact, FreshBooks enables Google Checkout, PayPal, and credit card payments, and integrates with a long list of business systems and applications that can streamline this process. With it, odds are good that you will unite financial control in a single system, and...

Cons

Despite a wide range of excellent features users have pointed out a few minor things that can be improved in FreshBooks: its metrics, goal setting, and reporting features can be better. One user also found bugs in FreshBooks email click-throughs and automated expenses which did not function to his liking. Apart from these insignificant glitches, hoever, there is no doubt that FreshBooks is a top notch accounting product that can bring a lot to your accounting deparatament.

IZ

Idris Z.

Business Supplies and Equipment, 51-200 employees

My Honest Reviews About Freshbook

Pros

the most notable or noteworthy aspects of Freshbooks, there are several that are worth mentioning:Invoicing: Freshbooks offers a robust invoicing system that makes it easy to create and send professional-looking invoices to your clients. You can customize your invoices with your branding, accept online payments, and set up automatic payment reminders.Time tracking: Freshbooks includes a built-in time...

Cons

While Freshbooks is a robust cloud accounting solution that offers a wide range of features, there are a few potential drawbacks to consider:Limited inventory management: Freshbooks does not offer a built-in inventory management system, which may be a drawback for businesses that sell physical products.Limited customization: While Freshbooks offers a good amount of customization options for invoices...

Apparel & Fashion, self-employed

"Freshbooks: The Ultimate Accounting Solution for Small Businesses

based on the analysis of customer feedback, Freshbooks is generally well-regarded for its user-friendly interface, time-saving features, and excellent customer support. Some users have reported limitations with reporting and integration options, and others have found the price to be higher compared to other accounting software. Overall, Freshbooks appears to be a solid choice for small businesses looking for an easy-to-use accounting solution.

Pros

User-friendly interface: Freshbooks offers a simple and intuitive interface that makes it easy to navigate and use, even for those with limited accounting experience.Time-saving features: Freshbooks offers several time-saving features such as automatic invoicing, expense tracking, and integration with popular payment gateways that can help streamline your accounting tasks.Customizable invoices: Freshbooks...

Cons

Limited reporting: Some users have reported that Freshbooks' reporting functionality is limited compared to other accounting software, making it difficult to generate detailed financial reports.Price: Freshbooks can be more expensive compared to other accounting software on the market, particularly for businesses with larger accounting needs.Integration limitations: Some users have reported that Freshbooks'...

RP

Rajitha Priyankara H.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 201-500 employees

Why Freshbooks for your business

A cloud-based accounting program called FreshBooks is made to assist small businesses in managing their financial activities. A variety of services are available, including financial reporting, project management, time tracking, cost monitoring, and invoicing.Businesses can simply create and send invoices that look professional, receive online payments, keep track of costs, and produce financial reports...

Pros

FreshBooks is renowned for its user-friendly layout and straightforward setup. With FreshBooks, even if you have little to no expertise with accounting software, you can get going right away.FreshBooks has a number of time-saving features that can speed up payment and reduce manual data entry, like automatic invoicing and online payment acceptance.FreshBooks offers a variety of financial reports, including...

Cons

FreshBooks features a straightforward user interface, which could be problematic for companies with sophisticated accounting requirements. The program includes few choices for customization, which could not be sufficient for companies who need more adaptability.Pricing: For companies with larger teams, FreshBooks pricing can be quite pricey. Project management is one of the more sophisticated capabilities...

Zedekiah M.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees

What really sets freshbooks apart

Freshbooks is for the wins. Given that accounting can be such an overwhelming task, Freshbooks simplicity becomes a real life hack. It has been way to use to enter expenses and collect payment. It's intuitive to use and has a user-friendly mobile app that allows me enter data and have and overview of all the businesses financial aspects at my own comfort without having to go to the office

Pros

Freshbooks is an accounting software that's is well suited for our needs. It's is of use real set it apart with a dashboard that gives me an overview of outstanding revenue and profits of my business because is simply laid out in an easy to understand way that leave no space for confusion even to us who haven't done accounting before. Freshbooks includes soo many capabilities that makes a great accounting...

Cons

Freshbooks ticks all the boxes for my business accounting needs

Randal W.

Computer & Network Security, 1-10 employees

"New" Freshbooks has completely make this formerly amazing service...unusable & frustrating

Loved them for more than a decade, until the "New" version completely left us wondering what went wrong. Their support has been great, helping us to move to another platform, but again, the "New" version is making that transition even harder, although we haven't tried to export from "Classic", so I could be wrong.

Pros

The previous "Classic" edition was so easy to use, powerful in its simplicity and quick. The only thing I can say about the "New" version is that it is pretty.

Cons

The "New" version might be pretty, but it has become pretty awful to use. The platform is now so slow, we often wonder if we clicked on something...so we wait (e.g. create an invoice). Navigation used to be simple, but that is no longer the case. It takes many more clicks to find the information I need. I've been using now for about 2 months, so I know where to go, but it takes so much longer...

Hey Randal, thank you for taking the time to share your review and raise these concerns. I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced some issues when using FreshBooks - I have passed this feedback along to our team on your behalf. Feedback from customers like yourself is absolutely valuable for the changes and updates that are made to FreshBooks. You can keep up to date with all the changes and updates our team is making here: https://support.freshbooks.com/hc/en-us/articles/360054235012-Changes-Updates-in-2021. If there are any questions or concerns our Support Team can assist with, our contact information can be found here: https://www.freshbooks.com/contact. ^DM

JC

Jacob C.

Internet, 1-10 employees

False Advertising and Lack of Support

My overall experience with FreshBooks has been like watching a masterclass on how not to run a business and how not to treat customers. I regret that I didn't leave years ago when the company tanked to what it is now. I wish FreshBooks could/would solve the technical issues with their product but since they don't even try, I am evaluating other options for software.

Pros

When I started using FreshBooks in 2014 it was really great software - the price was amazing, the features worked as advertised, and the support was better than anything I had ever experienced before. But that changed many years ago and has been a steady and rapid decline in every way.

Cons

This software doesn't work as advertised. I have had an open ticket with support since March and though they acknowledge that this is a known issue attached to my support ticket, there has been ZERO progress made on the ticket, they don't communicate any updates, they don't offer apologies or refunds, they just expect me to pay for their software while they do absolutely nothing to solve a known problem to a highly advertised feature of the product that remains nonfunctioning for going on 5 months.

Hey Jacob, thank you for taking the time to share your review of FreshBooks. I am sorry to hear you've been experiencing this issue in your FreshBooks account, and the impact this has had on your use of the software. Our Support Team is here to assist however we are able to. If you still have a ticket with one of my colleagues on the Support Team, you can follow up with them regarding any inquiry about your account or billing. Alternatively, you can give us a call - our numbers are listed here: https://www.freshbooks.com/contact. ^DM

Julio G.

Staffing and Recruiting, 51-200 employees

Freshbooks is your partner in general accounting

We use FreshBooks for all expense tracking, client invoicing and project time tracking. I use it personally and each of my contractors/service providers also have accounts. My contractor also invoices me directly through FreshBooks. We can also coordinate with our accountants to export the information you need. If accounting is not your thing, but you need a good basic accounting software for your small to medium sized business. We often recommend FreshBooks to other businesses just starting out. The user interface is very easy to learn and use. It can be used simply as an invoicing tool or in a more advanced way for detailed accounting.

Pros

My clients can make online payments directly from the invoice. FreshBooks asks my clients to leave a review of my service when they pay. Invoices with my company branding are sent directly from FreshBooks to my clients. The scheduling feature is great for clients who pay me by the hour. Within minutes, I can make a time sheet per project and task at the end of each month in the required Excel format. I can also track my work against my time estimates, which is helpful if I work on a flat fee basis.

Cons

The Freshbooks account home page has a nice graphical display of expenses and income, but only shows the last 6 months. This is still very useful, but I would like to be able to see graphs like this for different time periods. Freshbooks does not remember categories that have previously assigned similar rates. It would be nice if Freshbooks would suggest a category for saved vendors to ensure consistency in expense reports. I can print my company logo on the invoice, but I would like to change the color of the invoice to match my other business documents. It's not a big deal at all, but it's something I'd like to see.