WHMCS Reviews

Amber L.

Very efficient, easy to use, easy accounting and great support. Perfect for domains and hosting.

Jimmi N.

Dave W.

Clayton J.

It is a real challenge to deal with WHMCS on everything. It is also hard to trust such a morally bankrupt company.

Very bad customer support - 13 days wasted - 2 months management team don't reply.

Anand M.

3.9

WHMCS - Best invoicing and support software for your hosting business

I use WHMCS for 7+ years now. It makes my invoicing very easy, I can keep up with customers and their billing without spending too much time. The invoice reminders and automatic updates makes my work easier. I am able to add billing items quick, as I finish my work on a project. I can add a billing item to the user next invoice or bill it right away. I mostly use the invoicing features and reports. I may use the support ticket system later on. I am very happy with WHMCS, it saves me time and help me collect payments in a timely manner.

Pros

WHMCS offers a variety of features, as billing & invoicing, large number of integrated payment methods, customer support ticket system, integration with CPanel, selling domains and hosting packages to your customers and much more. I like the automatic recurring invoicing the most, including automatic reminder before and after a missed due date. I like the customer ability to pay online, by clicking the link in the invoice email and going to the payment page. It has many useful reports, for specific periods, type of customers, taxed or not and more. I also like that they always improve the software to work with the current version of PHP/MySQL. It is an essential software for my business.

Cons

Related to functionality everything works fine. The only downside: updating is a bit expensive, 99.95 USD/year.

Hi Lucian, Thanks for taking the time to share your comments. I'm very pleased to hear that WHMCS has the best invoices and support software for your hosting operation for the best part of a decade! We're continuing our history of supporting new technologies by introducing support for PHP 7.3 very soon!

Flexibility, but at a cost

I realize my Cons is a lot longer than my Pros section, don't let me mislead you, we still use it here and I would cautiously recommend WHMCS as long as prospective users understand what they're getting into. All in all it works, it is so widely used that many customers are familiar enough with it that it smooths over the quirks, and it is very *very* flexible and extendable.

Pros

Most of the features really do just work, at least if you have an understanding of what WHMCS will and will not do for you. It's flexible, extendable, and for the most part is reasonably well documented. It is great that you can resell tons of different servers all from one WHMCS platform, although they definitely do have their favourites.

Cons

The support team has been a mixed bag at best. Not every interaction has been negative, but not a lot have been great experiences. One simple example from a little while ago that exemplifies the problem: a WHMCS update broke catastrophically. It turned out to be a minor bugfix (and required security hotfix) used a new PHP function that was not supported on all versions of PHP their website claimed...

WHMCS Review

It's very useful to have records of every transaction as clients sometimes come back and want to know how much they spent in a prior year. Generating invoices on it's own is a huge time saver for me. You can also convert a quote, once approved, into an invoice to save time. It's also nice to be able to save a draft before you publish and send in case you've made an error on the invoice.

Pros

It's easy to generate invoices and accept payments. The system tracks all client's support tickets, invoices, and which products they've purchased. It automatically generates notices of invoices coming due or services about to expire. It automatically generates invoices for products on a monthly, quarterly, semi-annual or annual basis.

Cons

The "Time & Task Manager" feature never works the way it's supposed to. I have to manually deduct hours spent on support tickets and add hours when a client pays for their support agreement. Also, when setting up a client, or generating an invoice, you have to save twice. When adding a contact, you also have to save the information once, then click 'activate' and save again.

Hi Nancy, It's great to hear WHMCS has been saving huge amounts of your time with invoicing and record keeping. Needing to save things twice doesn't sound right to me though. Please do let me know the details and I'll be happy to investigate.

Longtime owned license owner moving on

Longtime owned license owner. I’ve been supportive of the platform and have seen steady, albeit slow development. I’d say about 50% of the new features that are added are what the customers want, the other 50% are features that help WHMCS make money off of the people that use their software. I was fine with MarketConnect because it was an opt-in feature. Hearing the news about the price hikes today (over 1000%) has been the tipping point. We will be moving to another platform that has the same features and costs much less. This company lost its way after it was bought. I would not recommend WHMCS to anyone at this point.

Pros

The software works and does what is advertised.

Cons

Recent price hikes make it no longer economical to use the software.

Good Customer Management & Hosting Billing Solution

The main benefit is automation. With a growing company, the small, important tasks can take up your entire day. It's important to trust a reputable software with those tasks so you can focus on your customers.

Pros

WHMCS has come a long way in a short amount of time. They seem receptive to user input, which is always a plus for me. Ultimately, it's a well-rounded solution for managing your web hosting business's customers and billing. There are many add-in options by WHMCS as well as third-party developers to help you achieve just about any task, automation, or feature that you may require. The fact that third-party developers are welcome to develop for this software is important to me. I've often hired out to have an add-on module created to my specifications. The support forums are a fantastic resource as well. There are quite a few people who generously offer their time to help each other.

Cons

The updates can be temperamental, which can get frustrating when you're running a business. It seems to be common for users to wait quite some time before upgrading to the next version, just to make sure the kinks are worked out.

Hi Amber, Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. Customer feedback really is the primary driver of the development of WHMCS, and we like to see that comes across. We look forward to automating your business operations for years to come!

1. Great GUI. Simple enough to make sure the user has an easy time accessing the many features easily. 2. Great automation options that let the system do most of the 'leg work' and the user's role is limited to only monitoring and so allowing for more time for them to concentrate on marketing of the features. 3. Has adequate security features to allow for secure transactions between the clients and the system with minimal or no exploitation gaps 4. Great notification systems to allow for an automated and easy communication to clients.

Pros

Its wide variety of features that allow for many add-ons to the system depending on the users needs. The automation (once setup perfectly) allows users to control and maintain countless products and services easily and efficiently as all the details on specifics are easily accessible from the administrative user accounts. Very efficient accounting features i.e. invoice generation, email setup and SMS feature just to mention a few that once configured with the proper cron jobs allow for easy and professional host-to-client communication. The encryption by IONCUBE ensures very good security on the important files thus thoroughly reducing insecurity issues such as hacking.

Cons

Most of the best add-ons are not free and require constant renewals. The branding of the system (but this mostly depends on the license purchased). It should consider the uprising businesses (SMEs).

Hi Jimmi, I'm pleased to hear that WHMCS is allowing your business to run efficiently and automatically. Thanks for taking the time to write this review!

Decent Order Processing System - Functionality needs work

WHMCS is great for smaller start-ups, but lacks the functionality to grow with a company. Invoicing is extremely limiting, and the errors we encounter have left us needing something different. We are currently looking for other options.

Pros

It's easy to learn initially and is a one size fits all for the *most* part. We use it in the telecom industry for my job, and we really are pushing the software to it's limits. The site is easy to navigate, and it organizes information easily.

Cons

There are lots of billing flukes, such as phantom invoices generating and incorrect customer information displayed on the wrong accounts which can slow down productivity. You cannot edit notes, but you can edit a response on the customer-facing side which is bizarre. "Unpaid" stamps on invoices can't be changed and this comes across as aggressive to customers. The search option is useless in the fact you can't put a last name before the first, and it's generally non intuitive.

Hi Sarah, Thanks for your review, I'm pleased to hear that WHMCS helps your business organise information. Our software is template based and text is controlled by a flat file, so the unpaid notices on invoices can be customised. In version 7.7 we re-vamped the search functionality, so we can now search by lastname firstname. There certainly shouldn't be any billing flukes or information displayed on the wrong accounts. Please do get in touch with our technical support team so we can review this for you.

Optimized platform for web hosting business

We are using almost 3 years, Most the things can be done more customizations, modules, plugins Integrated Support Module with SupportPal,

Pros

Closed source, but had many mods/plugins because its the most popular. Has many modules in Marketplace

Cons

WHMCS is a more expensive Its Support Module is only works markdown UI is difficult for customers

Un sistema de continuamente se está actualizando

Tenemos muchos años trabajando con ellos , pero hace algún tiempo cambiaron las licencias por la cantidad de sitios que administras es el precio que pagas sin importar que ya tenías tiempo con un precio fijo , nos incrementaron el precio por manejar más de 1,000 sitios. Es el único problema que hemos tenido, los detalles técnicos son atendidos muy rápido

Pros

Facilidad de integración con otros modulos

Cons

Muy lento en consultas con bases de datos grandes y los reportes muy básicos

Billing for web hosting firms

I have used this for 15+ years, and do all my billing through it. No plans to switch!

Pros

Handles billing, reminders, suspending clients who are late if we opt for that, renewing domains automatically, easy tie in to payment processor. Automatic updates now available.

Cons

I would like to be able to use a single function (out of many they provide) in some situations and hide the rest, but doing do does not seem straightforward.

Together with WHM, WHMCS provides a total hosting and billing automated solution

WHMCS (along with WHM) completely automates the ordering, account setup and hosting services of several of my clients, leaving them free to respond to support requests and develop new products. The overall cost of ownership has been low, and the features it provides have paid for themselves several times over.

Pros

WHMCS is very full featured and reliable system, offering just about all the tools you need to provide hosting services to customers. It can work in tandem with a server running WHM to automate the entire processs, allowing you to focus on developing new products and services. There are a multitude of third-party modules available, offering just about any features you may require (such as CRM capabilities, or specific payment gateways). WHMCS is reliable, and my clients make use of it every day for taking orders, managing products, and responding to support tickets.

Cons

The update process can be cumbersome, particularity if you have customized the product in any way, however the support for WHMCS is very good, and usually problems are easy to deal with. I do always try to update our of usual business hours, just in case.

Hi Martin, Thanks for taking the time to write this review. I'm pleased to hear we've been reliably providing all the tools needed for your operations for several years!

It's fine for starting businesses

Pros

Back in 2014, as I was looking for a CRM platform that could handle hosting customers, WHMCS was the way to go. As my company grew, it was time to invest in add-ons, like integrating Zendesk, Freshdesk and Google Suite reseller portal with our system. ModulesGarden provided us the necessary functionality, but as their policy changed to SaaS, our annual costs raised by over 600%. Without doubt, WHMCS is a great platform. But without the necessary functionality, larger companies will have to invest.

Cons

Price, design and functionality. The admin panel looks outdated, their price policy has changed and the functionality needs improvement. I definitely recommend WHMCS to other my colleagues, but it's not perfect.

Hi there, I'm pleased to hear that WHMCS has been providing your business automation needs for several years; we pride ourselves on our longevity. Our platform is designed with some specific industries in mind and we have a number of developer resources available which allow it to be extended to meet individual needs. The policies and pricing of external vendors and developers is outside our control. Thanks for taking the time to leave your review!

Easy to manage billing systems

Overall it's a streamlined and intuitive billing system that makes managing accounts, invoices, and other billing tools easy and fast.

Pros

A wide variety of search features and functions for locating accounts by any number of metrics is very useful for customers who don't know their account details or have mystery charges we're searching. There's a lot of areas to leave notes on accounts and individual products, and the custom contact metrics for emailing special offers are great

Cons

This may be something specific with our integration, but it's not always convenient that accounts are merged automatically if a new account generates with the same email address. Sometimes it's a customer ordering for family who have separate billing details but they help setup/manage the account, or business accounts end up together that shouldn't but are managed by the same office manager who uses their email, etc.

Hi there, Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences. It's great to hear that the reporting features are helping you keep track of business metrics.

The ultimate hosting management solution

Pros

I've used WHMCS for many years and it's been my go to solution for web hosting management. It's user interface is clean, client management is easy and it's integration with cPanel is flawless (its saved me countless hours). WHMCS is easy to setup and its licensing model is simple and affordable. A wide range of payment methods are also available and the software can be used for development licensing too which is pretty cool!

Cons

It's difficult to find a negative when considering WHMCS. Years of development by a dedicated team and community has results in significant improvements. My only suggestion would be to improve its development licensing system. While it works, there are improvements to be made. However it is worth pointing out that this isn't the standard purpose of the software.

Web host management utility

Overall, this software is pretty much top-of-the-line for managing clients and back-end business needs with a price-point that definitely helps the bottom line.

Pros

It has a large number of plugins to extend it's functionality from it core. This provides capabilities to effectively manage the business and to allow those with coding experience to also add functionality that may not be available elsewhere.

Cons

Updates can be a pain if you have a large number of plugins and they are not being updated by their authors. This either delays upgrading or prevents it for longer than desired while you try to locate updated plugins with similar functionality.

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We're pleased to hear that you've found WHMCS to be a top-of-the-line solution for your client management, billing and automation needs.

Open sourced billing software that works for more than just hosting

Pros

I've been using this for my digital marketing/web hosting business for years and no complaints. It's open sourced and there are plenty of custom modules should you have a software that needs to be integrated. I have a custom integration that allows me to accept Bitcoin on invoices. I use it to handle the billing for my agency so it works for more than just web hosting companies.

Cons

If you are not tech savvy and don't want to hire a developer it can be time-consuming learning to how set some things up. But you only have to do it once in most cases.

Hi there, Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective. It's great to hear WHMCS is automating your digital marketing business!

WHMCS is a good all-around product at a very affordable price point.

We use it for a CRM software with the focus being Client list, Billing, Support.

Pros

WHMCS provides all the basic functionality that a typical CRM software should. It works very well as a generalist software.

Cons

The software is a very generalist software, I would like to see it be a little more advanced. Each module is rather basic and it would be nice to see a little more detail and focus be put into them.

Hi Michael, I'm pleased to hear that WHMCS is meeting your hosting automation needs and general CRM functionality. In the past year we've begun introducing end-to-end automated services with closer integrations in the client and admin area via our MarketConnect feature. We will be expanding the services available through MarketConnect in 2018. Thanks for taking the time to leave your review!

Time-Saver for Freelancers

Overall, the software does what it was designed to do and it a valuable add-on for any freelance web developer that is seeking to offer value addedd products and services to their already established line-up.

Pros

Once setup is completed the software really helps to keep everything from the sale of a domain name to webhosting of new clients all in-order nice and neat.

Cons

Personally, I didn't like the WHMCS branding in the footers of the software. So, I paid to remove them - its an extra cost to do so. Setup can be somewhat tricky.

Hi Bobby, thanks for your feedback! We're happy to hear that we're helping you be more efficient and allowing you to offer value added products to your customers on top of your core service offering. We hope to be part of your growth in the years to come!

Web Hosting Billing And Provision Software IS Essential - WHMCS Billing Software

WHMCS software has managed our company for well over 10 years and going. Hundreds of customers to manage and I could not do it without WHMCS billing software. Thanks guys!

Pros

I can setup variable hosting packages and services and provision directly onto my VPS systems or Dedicated Hardware. I can manage and escalate trouble tickets easily and be notified via email or SMS of new tickets. There are scores of add-ons to fit any industries needs.

Cons

Most of the core is encrypted. Lack of themed email templates out of the box. I had to write my own using special logic code.

Hi Denver, Thanks for sharing your review. It's great to hear that WHMCS is helping manage hundreds of customers for over a decade!

Best host managing software!

It helped me to run my hosting business.

Pros

It's simple enough to configure. There are a LOT of options and possibilites. Integrates perfectly with payment methods and servers, makes my life as hosting provider VERY simple.

Cons

It takes a little time to get used to the interface. It's simple but there is a learning curve. There are so many options that it can be a little overwhelming.

Hi Jonathan, Thanks for your review. I'm pleased to hear WHMCS has been simplifying your hosting business' operations for over 2 years! With software as powerful as WHMCS, there are a lot of options to consider, so we've made efforts to smooth the learning curve for new users. This takes the form of a setup wizard, new written guides and a setup checklist.

Great billing software

Overall, I am happy using this software and would recommend it as automation is always a good thing. And with that, I must add that reliable automation is what WHMCS has to offer.

Pros

Works great and automates your billing system seamlessly. Also sets reminders and can disable accounts for non-payments. You can also run daily cron backups, which is a big plus.

Cons

Some features can be a little complicated, but once set up, the complications are behind you. One plus, yet drawback, is that WHMCS has so many features, it may seem way too hard to understand all that needs to be set properly to your needs. It just takes time and patience.

Thanks Craig, we're happy to hear WHMCS is automating your business and making your operations seamless. WHMCS is a very robust and powerful system - we have a very rich documentation and knowledgebase to help you get familiar with its many features. And if you haven't done yet, please feel free to visit our community so you can connect with other users and our team https://whmcs.community/

Depends on What You Use it For

I don't mind it for customer billing, and maybe offering third party hosting through it, but for website building... not for me.

Pros

WHMCS offers a lot of functionality with billing and customer products. That being said, the satisfaction and ease of use definitely depends on what you are using it for. If you are using it for customer billing and integrated support, it is solid... if you are trying to integrate it with WordPress and build a site around your product options... it can be difficult.

Cons

Hard to integrate your product packages and capsules into a WordPress website without using a couple of workarounds.

No longer cares about the customer

WHMCS used to be a good company. They no longer care about their customers though. They're more interested in adding products to Market Connect that they get a cut of the profits than doing what PAYING customers are asking them to. While I used to would have recommended this to everyone, I come closer to viewing it as a cash grab or scam now and would recommend it only to my enemies.

Pros

Software used to be awesome and easy to use. It isn't anymore.

Cons

No longer easy to use. Proper setup alone takes days. Every update breaks every theme for the last 1.5 years. Software's become so bloated less tech savvy customers have a hard time using it. Invoicing system is terrible and requires research to even see what you're paying for.

Hi Clayton, Thanks for your review. With software as powerful as WHMCS, there are a lot of options to consider, so we've made efforts to smooth the learning curve for new users. This takes the form of a setup wizard, new written guides and a setup checklist on the "Setup" menu. The MarketConnect features are another direct result of user feedback to make configuration easier with the added benefit...

Great tool for automate your business

Pros

You can automate and configure many processes of your company such as payments, customer support, emails sending, you can create digital products and configure them to give access to customers. It has so many tools. Basically i use it because I work with customer service. It has a tickets system with which you can answer to customers, follow-up cases, assign the case to another team member for solution. It's easier to communicate with customer using WHCMS's predefined answers. You save a lot of time. It allows you to bill customers and automate payments every month, every year, as you prefer. If you have a web hosting business this may be very usefull for you. It also allows fully automated hosting account setup and management with domains.

Cons

As cons i must say it's not too intuitive, it you will need to read the documentation in order to do some tasks.

Very bad customer support.

Pros

Easy to use software but same time very bad customer support team.

Cons

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and related other tickets - 13 days wasted of client - Very bad customer support, staff there is not helpful to customer - They are working for formalities to make ticket answered - 2 months their management still did not got time to reply on escalated cases. - Charging already 3x to what they used to for 10 years for this 10x worst service support Don't dare to kill customer's...