HotSchedules Logo

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.52/10

Reviews by rating

Suggested alternatives

Overall, I really loved my experience with HotSchedules. It was a great program for me to know when and what shifts I was working.
Hotschedules won our business by having the best Aloha POS integration of all the companies we spoke with.
It's a great way to communicate between coworkers, on top of scheduling, time off, etc. It's well organized and easy to navigate.
Customer service is terrible. I have emailed and called about 3 open tickets and no one will call me back or respond.
Overall, every restaurant should seriously look into an app like HotSchedules. It saves time and stress on all, avoiding hand written notes that get lost.

TL

Tina L.

Director of Events

Food & Beverages, 51-200 employees

Transcript

Tina L.: Hi, my name is Tina and I'm the Director of Events. I give HotSchedules a two out of five. For...

Sean D.

Marketing Assistant

Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees

Great for scheduling staff in the restaurant industry

Transcript

Sean: Hi, I'm Sean. I'm a lead bartender reviewing HotSchedules, and I give it a five stars out of five....

Sean D.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Great for scheduling staff in the restaurant industry

I used this app to schedule a full restaurant staff including FOH BOH and Managers. This tool is incredible useful and negates the need to figure out scheduling most weeks. All employees can submit their availability and I can schedule them badsed off of this availability without thinking to check because it bars me from scheudling people outside of their approved availability. No more scheduling issues!

Pros

Intuitive User interface Easy to add new users Great scheduling utility incredible for contacting staff on a large scale Has a mobile app that users can use

Cons

The mobile app costs money so most of my staff refuses to download this app which sends them push notifications in the event I need to contact them all. I believe that since we are already paying to use the software this app should be free to download. Without a login the application is useless so the fact you need to pay to download the app is very ridiculous.

CT

Courtney T.

Hospitality, 201-500 employees

Easy

Overall it's a great scheduling platform for all. Very easy to use and it's great for communicating with employees as well as logging disciplinary issues.

Pros

The best thing about this product is the ease of use. It's easy for managers and also for our employees. They give you step by step instructions on how to first create your account and utilization from there moving forward.

Cons

The worst thing about this product is customer service. It can be very hard to get ahold of someone and it takes days if not weeks for service tickets to be received.

Alainna B.

Education Management, 51-200 employees

HotSchedules eliminates any excuse for missing shifts!

HotSchedules is the only scheduling software I've seen that meets the needs of the many workplaces I've been a part of!

Pros

I have found that HotSchedules solves the ever-present problem in any workplace: "I didn't know I was scheduled!" Even when employees swap shifts or take another employee's shift, the software shows them that they maintain ownership of their originally assigned shifts until manager approval.

Cons

The fact that users have to pay to download the app on their smartphones is challenging. Although the workplace pays for the software, employees have to pay to get the software on their cellphones. This problem is compounded by the fact that the website doesn't have a very interactive design, much unlike the app, so employees often have to get the app to have a decent experience using HotSchedules.

Thank you for the review Alainna, really appreciate you taking the time. Please don't hesitate to reach out to Customer Care with any questions or issues you may have down the road.

AZ

Anastasia Z.

Food & Beverages, 51-200 employees

Best restaurant scheduling software HANDS DOWN

Pros

I loved this ease of hot schedules compared to other software. Much better ease-of-use and staff LOVES IT. Swapping shifts, requesting off, and keeping track of shifts is streamlined!

Cons

I LOVE hotschedules. It is the preferred software for restaurant scheduling! No drawbacks!

MA

Mindy A.

So convenient!

The convenience of NOT having to drive to the restaurant like in the old days to swap a shift or request off, or even look at the new schedule!

Pros

I come from working in restaurants in late 90s & 2000s, so this app is a dream come true! It’s so awesome to be able to view schedule, swap shifts, & send messages to staff all in one place!

Cons

I dislike not being able to request off past a certain point (less than 3wks before the shift, I think?). But that’s likely a restaurant decision vs the app.

JS

Jordin S.

Food & Beverages, 501-1,000 employees

Easy scheduling

Pros

HotSchedules is user friendly and the easiest way to keep your schedule in the palm of your hand. Being busy with two jobs is hard and this software helps me keep my availability up to date and to make necessary changes when needed. Being able to pick up shifts without any phone calls is great. I would highly recommend for any type of company that requires scheduling many employees.

Cons

I think that there are some visual issues such as way things look on the mobile app that could be updated.

Amber J.

HotSchedules

Pros

This program was super easy to use and I enjoyed the level of communication

Cons

The only thing that was no fun was when I would be half way though a schedule and something would go wrong and I would loose my work

Jeff P.

Restaurants,

Good program.

Easy access to schedules and daily notes. The forecasting is amazing with everything it considers.

Pros

Easy use for employees, the web page navigation on a cell phone works well. The app is definitely a plus.

Cons

Negation is hard to understand for upper management. Would like to be able to add daily notes on the schedule for events happening that day for the employees.

Jack W.

HotSchedules has changed the game for us. Especially the integration with our POS system

Pros

Integration with our POS (sales and labor reporting), ease of use for managers and employees, wide variety of reporting, writing schedules takes no time at all

Cons

Messaging function (email notifications don't include what the actual message is), no longer have the ability to manually sync new employees from POS

Tsagaan T.

Food & Beverages, 11-50 employees

Used other for 2+ years

Made working in the restaurant industry easier!

I definitely recommend it for those in the restaurant industry and for those setting up schedules. It did help the shifts run smoothly.

Pros

It’s very helpful in the food service industry. When I previously worked as a server, the restaurant used this. It made trading shifts or picking up shifts much easier. The schedules were sent out weekly and it allowed trading shifts. It’s easy to read and use.

Cons

The most annoying thing about is the notifications. I think everyone gets all the notifications. So it’s notification overload.

GL

Greg L.

Restaurants, 51-200 employees

This software is easy to use and a great way to communicate.

The largest benefit was time management. I have a lot more time to do other things that improve our guest's experience, which is the bottom line of my job.

Pros

The communication side of it is great. I have less meetings now that I can send out mass messages. The scheduler itself is top notch. I can move shifts around quickly using the quick keys and copying schedules is a snap. Having the freedom to do my schedule anywhere and being able to approve or deny schedule changes from my phone makes those decisions more informed. We use it to document all incidents...

Cons

My biggest complaint is that part of the expense for the is put on the employee. I know it's very little but some employees don't have a bank account or credit card and have trouble making the purchase. It seems to me that the revenue generated by that could be built into the cost of the software on the employer side.

dd

diandra d.

Restaurants, 501-1,000 employees

Great scheduling ap

One of the best scheduling websites I've ever seen or used.

Pros

As a user, I love how easy this product is. You can view your schedule, see who else is working, and swap and release shifts without an issue. It has an easy to use web browser, and mobile ap (although you do pay for it) so you can use hotschedules whichever way you prefer. It also has a great messaging system which allows you to message entire groups of people at once (management, kitchen, servers). It also tells you how many people are ahead of you on a wait list for a shift you picked up. The autopick up function is excellent as well for when you need to get a shift and non are available.

Cons

I am not a fan of the most recent update. Prior, you would be able to "see all schedule" and see the entire week, alphabetically, where everyone was working etc. Now however, you can't see the weekly schedule at once and you need to click day by day. This can be challenging when trying to swap shifts with other staff, or see others schedules.

JW

Joseph W.

One of the owners for Sedona Taphouse

I liked the old version better where you could click the roster button while writing a schedule and see a snap shot of that day. Everyone I know can not figure out why you got rid of that. Also I have been asking for years that you make it where we can set a max amount of request per day. Like 3 request off on monday, 4 on tuesday, 2 on sunday etc... so if I could allow 2 request off on sunday. When the 3rd person went to request off it would give them a pop up that would need to be approved by a manager.

Pros

Reporting and ease to swap shift

Cons

No way to set request off parameters by the day. Schedule writing is harder with the new version

Joseph, Thank you for taking time out of your day to provide us with feedback, we really appreciate it! We apologize for the less than exceptional ease of use with our new interface. We value any and all feedback to better improve our products-we have a community request page where you can submit your thoughts and insights directly to our Customer Support team. Thanks for being a part of our community! https://help.hotschedules.com/hc/en-us/community/topics/200388757-Feature-Requests

Heidi V.

Hospitality, 51-200 employees

Hotschedules is so easy to use

Pros

Hotschedules changed the restaurant industry when it came out. I have worked in the industry for over 10 years, so when this software came out. It really changed the industry. Before we would have to wait for a photo of our schedules and sometimes we would miss our shifts or getting our shifts covered was so difficult. When hotschedules came out , you never wondered when your shift was. You are reminded when you have a shift and if you need a shift covered you simply post it up. It is a secure way to have everyone feel accountable and be accountable for work.

Cons

The only thing I had a trouble with when I first started using hotschedules was understanding how to update my availability for work but once someone showed me its a no brainer.

EZ

Edward Z.

Food & Beverages, 1,001-5,000 employees

Hot for HotSchedules

Pros

Hot schedules makes scheduling different departments and coordinating everybody extremely easy. The platforms are easy to understand and can be accessed by anyone given authority to use the system.

Cons

The system allows for people to request for time off and to make comments. One of the only downsides of this product was that employees talked last to management about scheduling and tried to do literally all of it through hot schedules which sometimes lead to some conflict Over all hot schedules is a solid platform that is definitely beneficial to a smooth running operation as far as scheduling and management communication goes

AM

Ashley M.

Food & Beverages, 501-1,000 employees

Necessary for every shift based job

I find hotschedules completely essential to my job and I would probably try to implement it anywhere I worked.

Pros

I love hotschedules. I'd be lost without it. I use it daily. It's easy to see my schedule. I have an organized and easy way to find my coworkers contact info and can easily message them all at once. I can email my managers and change my availability. I can get my shift covered quickly and easily with proof in email that it was covered. I love it. I wouldn't know what to do if i worked somewhere that didn't use it.

Cons

I wish when changing your availability you could copy what you already have set and make a change instead of having to redo the whole thing.

JB

James B.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Simple enough to use for great scheduling

I love to use Hotschedules to make up the schedule a few weeks in advance it’s very easy to check and see who needs what days off and fairly easy to go online and switch shifts with someone that even notifies the manager and they must approve This software is super easy to set up and use and I would recommend this to anyone looking for help with scheduling

Pros

First let me start off by saying I have used hotschedules now for years I first started off using it when I worked in restaurants as a server. It was the only way you could know when you work and request time off. Now that I have my own buisness I still use Hotschedules because of how much I like it. It’s super easy to log on from anywhere and check the schedule adjust the schedule look at upcoming shifts as well as pull up who wants when off for when your making the schedule

Cons

The thing I liked least about Hotschedules is the fact that most the time to download the app on your phone there is a fee and you can’t download the app without paying it.

CW

Connor W.

Entertainment, 11-50 employees

HotSchedules does a great job at presenting all your scheduling/reporting data at a quick glance.

Pros

A couple things that I really enjoy about HotSchedules is the reporting and future forecasting functions. You can also teach HotSchedules how to auto-schedule based off of those patterns from previously scheduled weeks. It is pretty user-friendly and when you launch for the first time - you have plenty of help. They give you a contact to assist you and provide plenty of step-by-step tutorials for all of the included functions of the software. They also give you styling options for how you would like to view and edit the schedules. The reporting data is quickly accessible and can be pulled from a large range of dates (this helps with payroll verification).

Cons

HotSchedules, at times, can be a little buggy. There have been instances where I have completed a full schedule and upon saving my data, it would revert to the previous schedule before the changes had been added. This can be a tad frustrating when trying to crank out schedules quickly.

Entertainment, 51-200 employees

Very convenient

I really like HotSchedules because it’s so convenient. The program is fairly easy to use but could use improvements like more schedule layout options.

Pros

HotSchedules is very convenient to use for the business and employees. I love that I can message everyone as a group, a specific job title, or individuals. I love that the employees can view their schedule in real time from anywhere.

Cons

HotSchedules is time consuming to use. The functionality of the scheduling area could be improved to save time. When it comes to syncing employees with our Micros system it takes too much time and has gotten “hung up” multiple times. Customer service gives great direction but takes too long to get an answer. The layout of the roster is hard to read and offering different layout options would be a huge improvement.

LT

Lisa T.

Restaurants, 11-50 employees

Easy, a word usually not used in the Restaurant Biz.

I have been using Hot Schedules for several years now, and I have to say it always pleases! In the service industry, the word "easy" is not usually thrown around. As a FOH manager, and a former FOH staff member Hot Schedules has always been super easy to use and super helpful! Also, implementing it into the restaurant was quick, easy, and the most affordable. The Hot Schedules team is always around to provide great customer service as well! If you are in the market for a new scheduling, labor tracking, (among many other things) service. I would for sure go with Hot Schedules!

Cons

Lisa, Thank you so much for the great review! We love to serve those who serve and are happy to help your business run more efficiently. Thank you for being a part of our community. Happy Scheduling!

Hot for HotSchedules

I love HotSchedules as a server, this app is a dream. I am able to see how many people are scheduled ahead of work, who I'm working with, what section or what my in and out times are and have a clear idea of my responsibilities going into work. I am also able to negotiate shift swaps and adjusting my schedule within the app with coworkers that makes it easy to find coverage or pick up some extra work!

Pros

HotSchedules is a user friendly interface that makes scheduling, adjusting schedules, swapping shifts, or viewing staff rosters, sending messages with coworkers incredibly accessible and easy to use.

Cons

No cons, this app is a dream for people with a dynamic and hectic schedule and good management running the app for their staff.

Thank you for the great review - we really appreciate it.

YF

Yolanda F.

A idea for improvement.

I would like to see an option to add special event to the schedule calendar. This would help us as a reminder to adjust schedule to accommodate for the increase or decease of business. Also it would provide historical data for future budget/forecasting.

Pros

-It's available in a smart phone app -employees are able submit days off for approval -forecasting

Cons

Adding event to schedule calendar

Yolanda, Thank you so much for your feedback! We love any bright and innovative ideas our customers come up with to help improve our product. Check out our community page to talk directly with a customer care specialist! https://help.hotschedules.com/hc/en-us/community/topics

This program was easy to learn and very user friendly.

The benefits that I get from this software are being able to put out a schedule in real time and get it to my employees in an effective way. It also benefits my employees because they are able to use it and make changes to their schedule if needed. The alerts are great!

Pros

What I like most about this software is that you can send your employees messages and post schedules that will go directly to their e-mail and/or text.

Cons

What I like least about this software is that it sometimes will glitch when I'm in the middle of a schedule and then I will have to go back and redo the entire thing.

Rebecca P.

Food & Beverages, 201-500 employees

The best way to post work schedules

I have thoroughly enjoyed using the app, and it has allowed me to take opportunities that have made me additional money I otherwise would not have known about. I recommend the app to my other coworkers, as it is only a dollar or two one time and you never have to worry about losing your schedule or wondering when all your shifts are.

Pros

I can access my work schedule whenever I want because it is both a website and an app. It not only tells you what your schedule is, but allows you to see who else you are working with. This is beneficial if you are trying to adjust your schedule for time off so you know exactly who is available and who is not, which saves a lot of time.

Cons

If you have marked yourself as unavailable it should flag someone from being able to add you to the schedule in that slot so that the person creating the schedule realizes they have made an error.

JG

Joey G.

Food & Beverages, 10,001+ employees

I have used this in every major restaurant I have managed.

There are so many features to talk about I could write a book. It took me less time to right schedules, forecasting gave me an idea how many employees Id need at given areas around the restaurant and really left the guess work out of it.

Pros

Ties in with inventory and POS software to establish patterns in business and gives you Forecasting on volume of business to help with your scheduling needs.

Cons

Its expensive. Especially if you want all the major features. But you get what you pay for. If you can afford it, its worth the leap.