HotSchedules Logo

Suggested alternatives

when-i-work
connecteam
nowsta

Overall, I really loved my experience with HotSchedules. It was a great program for me to know when and what shifts I was working.
Hotschedules won our business by having the best Aloha POS integration of all the companies we spoke with.
It's a great way to communicate between coworkers, on top of scheduling, time off, etc. It's well organized and easy to navigate.
Customer service is terrible. I have emailed and called about 3 open tickets and no one will call me back or respond.
Overall, every restaurant should seriously look into an app like HotSchedules. It saves time and stress on all, avoiding hand written notes that get lost.

Sean D.

Marketing Assistant

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Great for scheduling staff in the restaurant industry

Transcript

Sean: Hi, I'm Sean. I'm a lead bartender reviewing HotSchedules, and I give it a five stars out of five....

TL

Tina L.

Director of Events

HotSchedules

Transcript

Tina L.: Hi, my name is Tina and I'm the Director of Events. I give HotSchedules a two out of five. For...

James M.

Food & Beverages, 5,001-10,000 employees

Great way to manage staff schedules with ease

Was part of a team that used HotSchedules for shift management.

Pros

I like how shifts can be swapped and picked up without having to involve a manager. Managers can set certain rules, but within those rules employees can handle it on their own.

Cons

I don't like how clumsy the app was in 2014 when I used it. It was not mobile friendly, and didn't sync well with email and google calendar. This may have changed since then.

Food & Beverages, 1-10 employees

The Software That Changed Scheduling

HotSchedules is so much more than just a mere scheduling software for companies. It is a way to empower your employees by giving them the ability to switch their shifts around in the event that something happens abruptly in life and you can’t help but miss a shift. It has eliminated the anxious feeling you get wondering if the person you asked to cover your shift is going to follow through or not by opening the shift up to all employees to pick up for themselves if it fits their schedules.

Pros

This software was game changing from the very first moment I used it in the restaurant industry. In the past, I had found myself in situations at work where I had thought I had another teammate’s spoken word that they would switch shifts with me and that would be enough to clear my name in the event that something went wrong and they didn’t end up showing up. Little did I know that would not be the...

Cons

I honestly am trying to rack my brain for anything I felt was negative throughout my experience using HotSchedules and I can truthfully say that not once did this software let me down. People picked up shifts because they actually wanted the extra work and it eliminates the need to single out a coworker and put the pressure on them and opens the shift up for the possibility of any team member to pick it up.

Alainna B.

Education Management, 51-200 employees

HotSchedules eliminates any excuse for missing shifts!

HotSchedules is the only scheduling software I've seen that meets the needs of the many workplaces I've been a part of!

Pros

I have found that HotSchedules solves the ever-present problem in any workplace: "I didn't know I was scheduled!" Even when employees swap shifts or take another employee's shift, the software shows them that they maintain ownership of their originally assigned shifts until manager approval.

Cons

The fact that users have to pay to download the app on their smartphones is challenging. Although the workplace pays for the software, employees have to pay to get the software on their cellphones. This problem is compounded by the fact that the website doesn't have a very interactive design, much unlike the app, so employees often have to get the app to have a decent experience using HotSchedules.

Thank you for the review Alainna, really appreciate you taking the time. Please don't hesitate to reach out to Customer Care with any questions or issues you may have down the road.

Amy M.

Government Administration, 5,001-10,000 employees

Used other for 2+ years

Helpful in emergencies

This was a great software to use. After having to call-in shift changes and wait on hold for managers for years in restaurant work, this software and its app is a great gift. I also don't have to physically go to the restaurant to see my new schedule when it comes out!

Pros

I liked most how "shift-swapping" at my restaurant became very simple. I could easily release my shift on my phone app and people would pick it up or if I needed it quick I could message people on the app or call them on my phone. They could easily pick up the shift through their phone app and no need bothering a manager as a go-between. The manager does need to approve the shift, but it is simply done and after I've already got it covered :) I liked how I can change my settings to receive email alerts or not.

Cons

I did not have any problems with this software.

Michael R.

So awesome!!

Overall experience is amazing! This company does amazing work!

Pros

Love Hotschedules!! They are amazing at what they do and make my life so easy when it comes to scheduling my staff and letting them switch and pick up work shifts. This is definitely something that employers with many employees need to use to make their schedule!

Cons

Non at all. This software does exactly what it says and it is amazing!

Ayaz M.

Restaurants, 5,001-10,000 employees

One of best Scheduling Systems on the Market

Worked with it for several years. They are constantly evolving to meet the industry needs. Love the fact that I do not have to have several calls just to approve a shift change. It's all done on line and just a click away. A real time saver.

Pros

The variety of options available and the ease of multiple users accessibility. Also very user friendly for the staff.

Cons

A bit complicated for entry level managers

Sarah A.

Hospitality, 10,001+ employees

HotSchedules is great for those in hospitality!

I have used HotSchedules while working for Red Lobster for 3 years, it has made my life so much easier!

Pros

This product easily allows me to pick up or post shifts for work so that other employees can pick up, release, or trade shifts.

Cons

The only thing that is a little tricky with this software, is setting up availability requests/schedules.

Jeff P.

Restaurants,

Good program.

Easy access to schedules and daily notes. The forecasting is amazing with everything it considers.

Pros

Easy use for employees, the web page navigation on a cell phone works well. The app is definitely a plus.

Cons

Negation is hard to understand for upper management. Would like to be able to add daily notes on the schedule for events happening that day for the employees.

Jack W.

HotSchedules has changed the game for us. Especially the integration with our POS system

Pros

Integration with our POS (sales and labor reporting), ease of use for managers and employees, wide variety of reporting, writing schedules takes no time at all

Cons

Messaging function (email notifications don't include what the actual message is), no longer have the ability to manually sync new employees from POS

Tsagaan T.

Food & Beverages, 11-50 employees

Used other for 2+ years

Made working in the restaurant industry easier!

I definitely recommend it for those in the restaurant industry and for those setting up schedules. It did help the shifts run smoothly.

Pros

It’s very helpful in the food service industry. When I previously worked as a server, the restaurant used this. It made trading shifts or picking up shifts much easier. The schedules were sent out weekly and it allowed trading shifts. It’s easy to read and use.

Cons

The most annoying thing about is the notifications. I think everyone gets all the notifications. So it’s notification overload.

EF

Eric F.

Food & Beverages, 11-50 employees

Restaurant Must have

As a former manager at a Texas Roadhouse, I was familiar with this software, and eager to bring it to my new venture. It immediately eliminated the use of paper schedules, and the chaos of employees switching shifts without making management aware. This increased both labor costs, and morale.

Pros

It’s easy to use, built for high volume restaurants. I took a restaurant that was still relying on paper, emailed schedules, and converted them to Bot Schedules. This eliminated issues of shift coverage changes, where we expected one employee, but another showed up, and all the associated communication issues.

Cons

It was much more difficult to order and install that I previously remember. Customer service in the sales department was definitely lacking just a touch. Once we got the ball rolling it was fine, but the initial sale was a bit rocky to start.

CT

Courtney T.

Hospitality, 201-500 employees

Easy

Overall it's a great scheduling platform for all. Very easy to use and it's great for communicating with employees as well as logging disciplinary issues.

Pros

The best thing about this product is the ease of use. It's easy for managers and also for our employees. They give you step by step instructions on how to first create your account and utilization from there moving forward.

Cons

The worst thing about this product is customer service. It can be very hard to get ahold of someone and it takes days if not weeks for service tickets to be received.

JB

Jessica B.

Hospitality, 201-500 employees

Hotschedules Is Perfect For The Hospitality Industry

This has helped manage overtime before it even happens. While scheduling employees, the software calculates the hours and gives you a warning for any person that is going into or approaching overtime. This has saved us money and helped better allocate time. Hotschedules is a game changer for the hospitality industry.

Pros

This software is extremely user friendly. I love that my staff is able to put all of their availability changes, requests for time off and switch shifts through the software. It makes it extremely easy to create the schedule each week. Tracking of overtime is a huge help as a manager as well. This is a must have tool for anyone in the hospitality industry. It will save your scheduling sanity!

Cons

The only downside to this software is the cost for the app. While it is minimal and you can still log in for free through any web browser, a free app would be ideal for the hourly employees. I honestly have no other bad things to say about this software. I highly recommend it!

JH

Jess H.

Restaurants, 201-500 employees

Extremely helpful!

I would highly recommend. It is easy to set up and is user friendly for all ages. Since it helps with scheduling, dropping shifts and picking up shifts, our Managers are able to focus more of their time on other aspects of the business.

Pros

The ability to save a template for a weekly schedule. At our job we put a schedule out on a weekly basis and we don't have to start from scratch every week. It used to take use 5 hours to do the schedule and now it takes us 1 hour. A huge lifesaver!

Cons

The look of the software feels a tad outdate. Though that is not a huge deal, it tends to have unnecessary pop-ups or "menu" buttons. However, not enough of a con to ever have me consider using a different product.

EZ

Edward Z.

Food & Beverages, 1,001-5,000 employees

Hot for HotSchedules

Pros

Hot schedules makes scheduling different departments and coordinating everybody extremely easy. The platforms are easy to understand and can be accessed by anyone given authority to use the system.

Cons

The system allows for people to request for time off and to make comments. One of the only downsides of this product was that employees talked last to management about scheduling and tried to do literally all of it through hot schedules which sometimes lead to some conflict Over all hot schedules is a solid platform that is definitely beneficial to a smooth running operation as far as scheduling and management communication goes

Design, 11-50 employees

Very convenient tool

Overall, our business couldn't function without HotSchedules. It makes scheduling easy for managers and provides vital flexibility for employees. It might be overkill for small teams, but if you frequently schedule several people for many shifts each week, it's well worth the cost.

Pros

HotSchedules allows employees to trade shifts, pick up shifts, and see their schedules very easily. It makes managing personnel and schedules so much easier for managers, and it's great for the team to have added flexibility. Without HotSchedules, trading shifts can be a nightmare for both employee and manager alike.

Cons

The only con we've seen is that HotSchedules has built-in rejections for some requests. In theory, this is a great tool - if you don't meet the criteria to make the request, then it's automatically rejected. However, there are some manual workarounds, which means employees still make requests to the manager rather than via HotSchedules since they know there can be adjustments made. This really isn't a complaint of HotSchedules since it works as it's supposed to, but just a head's up that there will still be manual adjustments.

AG

Alexa G.

501-1,000 employees

HotSchedules is a great way to keep track of your work week!

I used HotSchedules for two years while serving and loved the idea where you can swap, add and release shifts if desired.

Pros

I like that you can see your schedule for the week laid out in one spreadsheet. I also like that it gives you the option to do group messages with all of your coworkers and swap shifts if needed. This software offers a lot for your work scheduling and helps you stay organized and be flexible when you need to be.

Cons

I do not like that you have to pay for the app. I also do not like how hard it is to find someone's contact on the app and then be able to copy something like an email address or phone number. I wish HotSchedules also had a better notifications system in place.

CW

Connor W.

Entertainment, 11-50 employees

HotSchedules does a great job at presenting all your scheduling/reporting data at a quick glance.

Pros

A couple things that I really enjoy about HotSchedules is the reporting and future forecasting functions. You can also teach HotSchedules how to auto-schedule based off of those patterns from previously scheduled weeks. It is pretty user-friendly and when you launch for the first time - you have plenty of help. They give you a contact to assist you and provide plenty of step-by-step tutorials for all of the included functions of the software. They also give you styling options for how you would like to view and edit the schedules. The reporting data is quickly accessible and can be pulled from a large range of dates (this helps with payroll verification).

Cons

HotSchedules, at times, can be a little buggy. There have been instances where I have completed a full schedule and upon saving my data, it would revert to the previous schedule before the changes had been added. This can be a tad frustrating when trying to crank out schedules quickly.

jb

justine b.

everything in one place

i like that i can easily access the schedules and requests off in one place. I am not a fan that they took away the option to easily see what date someone made the request though. that was a feature i used often.

Pros

easy to use, keeps your organized, accessible from anywhere

Cons

the new scheduler takes longer to enter, and they took away the option to hover over a request off and see the reason and date requested. please bring back!

Justine, Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, we really appreciate it! We value any and all feedback to influence the updates we make to our product in the future. We have a community request forum where you can voice your thoughts to our Customer Support team! https://help.hotschedules.com/hc/en-us/community/topics/200388757-Feature-Requests

DJ

Danielle J.

Restaurants, 501-1,000 employees

HotSchedules in the Restaurant Industry

I love the fact that HotSchedules was created. It makes life in the restaurant industry so much easier. I just wish I would have though of it first!!

Pros

I enjoy using HotSchedules from both an employee and a management perspective. As an employee, the app makes it super easy to double-check my schedule or swap a shift with a coworker. As a manager, logging in from my computer and using "scheduling" truly makes the world of a difference when it comes to writing schedules. It helps me keep track of employee availability, requests off, and labor costs. I also enjoy the "logbook", as communication is key for my team!

Cons

I wish there was a way to use one username and be able to view multiple restaurants under one user. I sometimes have more than one job at a time and they typically all use HotSchedules. It would just be convenient to log in under me and be able to view all of my schedules, messages, etc. without having to remember multiple usernames/passwords and log in and out repeatedly.

IY

Isaac Y.

Food Production, 11-50 employees

Overall decent

Overall, not too bad. Could have been better. For what you pay, I expected a bit more functionality. Cannot leave notes on staff or update different training tiers that they have completed. We have recently switched our scheduling platform.

Pros

Software makes scheduling easy for me and for my staff. Staff can request off time which managers have to approve. Our rep was able to customize some things for us, which is great! We spent a LOT of time trying to customize things for how we operated.

Cons

Pricey, for what you get. Staff have the option to "Request time off" and "Request unpaid time off"...one sends me a notification, one does not. Not sure why?

Primary/Secondary Education, self-employed

HotSchedules Review

It was good experience. I was able to see when I was working and who was going to work with me. I was able to see the messages that the manager put out. I was able to respond the messages, if need be.

Pros

I had to have this software when I worked at a restaurant. It was pretty simple and easy to use. Once the manager had posted the schedule, you could see who was working and what shift it was. If there was an open shift, you could grab it and see if it would get approved. You could also switch shifts with someone, if the managers approved it. Message came in and were easy to read.

Cons

I did not really have any issues with this software. I had to have it and it worked fine with my phone. I was a bit mad that I had to pay for it, but I understood why.

KT

Kristian T.

Restaurants, 201-500 employees

One of our most-utilized softwares by far!

Monitoring overtime, communication with staff, easily viewing requests, pay rates, daily line ups and staff logs are just a few day to day features that we utilize. HotSchedules is a must!

Pros

Online scheduling is a must for an operation of our size. The HotSchedules messaging makes communicating clearly to large groups of employees consistent. The reporting and data is a must. We use HotSchedules multiple times a day.

Cons

Some of the updates/when the software times out can get frustrating but I understand that they are necessary to make improvements.

Food & Beverages,

We utilize this program for our Catering company as a means to schedule & interact

Pros

Ability to not only schedule/message in-house full time staff, but keep a running log of single event staffing as well. As a catering company you have many bodies you must manage, especially when an individual only works one event for you and that's it. With HotSchedules we're able to tabulate this into our weekly labor costs and it gives the functionality to forecast.

Cons

It's sometimes very complicated to use. You don't always know where to go for what you need and the customer service can be a little tricky to navigate- you don't always hear back from them or they're tough to reach. That being said when you do get a human- they're very knowledgeable and can help you out 100%.

AI

Alison I.

Restaurants, 51-200 employees

No customer service

I really liked the services even though it was expensive. It was very user friendly. The customer care and accounting departments made my experience a bad one.

Pros

I like the functionality of the software

Cons

I am so disappointed in the customer care. hotschedules continues to charge me after I request to suspend services. I have contacted them 8 times over this and my account was drafted numerous times after cancelation. Everyone I speak to says they do not have the authority or ability to refund me or suspend or cancel my account.