NationBuilder Reviews

Pros

Great tool to engage customers but also fantastic CRM to increase customer interaction with my business.

Jim B.

This was so easy to use. We hired one of their recommended deveopers, they built the website and truly it was flawless.

Janelle B.

James B.

JP

Janae P.

KB

Katie B.

3.8

Makes leading a movement possible

It's a great experience overall. The one thing that I wanted to add is that when I did have to call their tech support line with a problem, they were able to resolve everything quickly and easily.

Pros

I used this in a political campaign that was separate from my day job. I love how this combines everything that I needed to run and win in one package. I not only gave me what I needed as the campaign's IT guy, it provided every single person involved with what they needed.

Cons

The biggest con (if you even want to call it one) is that NationBuilder is so finely-tuned towards political campaigns that it doesn't work well with things are unrelated to that. (Yes, I know that's not much of a con but that really is the only drawback that I could think of.)

Review!

Working with NationBuilder was fine - it was neither revolutionary nor deeply frustrating, it was overall fine. I neither loved it nor hated it, but can only recommend it for large nonprofits.

Pros

By far the best feature of NationBuilder is that it is so widely used -- this means that any question you have as already been asked by someone else and a step-by-step help doc is likely an easy search away. It was really easy to get questions answered and problems solved in this way.

Cons

This software is more powerful than a tiny nonprofit like my own needs. It's also very, very expensive. The "newsfeed" type feature showing people who subscribed/unsubscribed/interacted in social media was strange and useless.

Great concept, but execution needs work

Pros

*Powerful CRM for non-profits and political organizations *Fantastic integration with social media. *CRM is great at identifying prospective supporters among multiple mediums such as social network, email, and webpage *Strong integrated communications tool that allows you to respond to engagements with your organization across multiple tools and automatically record your interactions within the individual user CRM profiles *CRM has a good clean up tool that helps you merge fragmented prospect information into one complete profile if it was not done automatically already by this tool. *Financial tool to track donation progress for your organization

Cons

*Overall tool feels restrictive and lacks some basic features *UI is inefficient and not friendly to use and is intuitive only to people already in the development industry who may find this cumbersome. Menus in menus in menus. *Support is mostly paid and seen as a key business driver for the organization other than development requests. This is a curious business decision considering the tools complexity...

Massive array of features

Really awesome. Has hugely simplified my marketing efforts and keeping track of my network.

Pros

NationBuilder is a one stop shop for CRM, Website and outreach needs. The customer support is incredibly diligent, you can tell that folks there care.

Cons

The UX is a bit of a mixed bag. They paper over the problems with supremely good customer support but there are definitely times I'd rather I'd been able to work out how to do the thing myself.

Nationbuilder is a dream come true for our business

Pros

Customer Service is ALWAYS there to help you. Everything is easy to understand, of course there is a bit of a learning curve, the software is flawless.

Cons

Really it's hard to think of anything that doesn't work for us other than the pricing will be high for us as we grow.

Nice Ideas That Make a Mess

Individual reps we worked with were nice enough, but there's a weird culture around their [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] -- emails inviting us to his talks often sounded like invitations to church. Ultimately, between the odd culture and the mess of the social profiles, we ended up switching to a different software.

Pros

All of the core features of a CRM are there and functional, and I especially like that you can identify profiles as either people or organizations, a great feature when tracking contacts for partnerships and coalitions. There's a low learning curve for using the most basic elements of contact files and lists.

Cons

NationBuilder has a social feature to pull in any contact that interacts with you on social media. This is a nice idea in theory, but ended up creating a massive mess in the database, with thousands of duplicate contacts and/or contacts with no real contact information beyond the social media handle. This may be effective for a larger team with staff capacity to comb through information like this, but for a small nonprofit it was just too much.

Too Early To Tell

I have been using NationBuilder for a charity that I volunteer for now for about 8 months. At first I hated it because it seemed like it was very constricting but then I grew to like it. It includes a lot of features for organizations or groups who need a tool that includes everything in one place. It includes an email tool, your website, a crm and even social media measurement data for records. The reporting features and ways to pull people by tags can get sticky but overall I think they offer the future of what people need with this solution.

Pros

Everything is in one solution at one low price. You can have all of your donors, volunteers and staff all in one database and have it manage your website and communications at the same time.

Cons

Knowing what to do with the data can be tricky and sticky. Also training your staff on how to use NB is hard - there's a big learning curve and many don't know that there are unlimited uses for the system.

NationBuilder review

Pros

The search feature allows you to slice and dice your data in many ways.

Cons

Syncing with other platforms that it was supposed to sync seamlessly with turned into a major problem.

A robust software capable of handing huge projects

NationBuilder is helping us cultivate a nationwide grassroots movement that we wouldn't be able to accomplish otherwise.

Pros

NationBuilder has the capability to perform many functions. I am constantly discovering new functions and way to use it. One of our favorite features is tags, which allow us to mark contacts and easily sort them together out of thousands.

Cons

Editing the website hosted through our NationBuilder site is a pain to edit. I wish the process was smoother.

NationBuilder Review

Pros

This software allows our very small non-profit organization to host our website and send email communications to our members and supporters.

Cons

We use NationBuilder to host our website for a very small non-profit organization, for which I am the Communications Chair. Granted, I have limited experience designing websites, but I have worked with several other web hosting services that provide MUCH more intuitive tools for both website and email design. The software is clunky, difficult to learn how to use, and does not produce very graphically appealing emails.

Thank you for your honest feedback! I recently wrote a blog post with some tips for designing emails - https://nationbuilder.com/how_do_i_create_a_newsletter_style_email_without_using_code - and you can join me Wednesdays for NationBuilder Live at 10am Pacific time - https://nationbuilder.com/live where we will go over it step by step! Email us at help@nationbuilder.com anytime if you have questions.

Not a great donor database

Nation Builder has been an easy way for us to manage our website, send out communications, and store donor information. We do not have an IT person, and with NB we really haven't needed one, as it's easy to fix any problems that come up.

Pros

I like having my website, email and donor info integrated into one place. It is an easy system to learn and the video tutorials are helpful, so it's easy to bring new members onto the team.

Cons

It isn't a superior product for any of its functions, particularly the donor database functionality. It is hard to get relevant info out of it to properly steward donors.

NationBuilder is outstanding

We were looking for an all-inclusive solution for our CRM and CMS needs at an affordable price. We looked at literally 200 solutions and decided that none were perfect but NationBuilder provided the best solution. We have been very happy with the choice and have been a customer for over 4 years.

Pros

We were looking for a fully featured, integrated CRM and CMS system that was easy to get up and running at a price that a very small non-profit organization could afford. We found that NationBuider has with very powerful tools to help drive our success. In addition, the customer support is outstanding...from the videos to the very accessible support team, they go way above and beyond the norm to make sure you are well taken care of.

Cons

Like any software, there are constant updates to comply with new regulations and requirements. Although NationBuilder does a good job of explaining the changes, it still requires work to keep up.

Excellent CRM choice for multi-tiered political organizations.

The LPNC selected NationBuilder as our CRM of choice in mid-2013 and have been using it for two years now. NationBuilder enables you to integrate your website, Facebook page, Twitter account, LinkedIn account, and Meetup.com accounts'and e-mail and phone communications'for both incoming and outgoing communications'and, of course, record a history of these interactions. It also handles donation...

Cons

Great idea, but not fleshed out enough.

NationBuilder has a lot going for it, but not enough to make me stay with them. I used their software for a short time recently and found the interface to be cumbersome and frustrating. The customer support is minimal - you get one rep for all needs (financial, tech, content, marketing, etc...). The introductory price point is really nice and makes me want to go with them, but with so many gaps in...

Pros

Great concept, some of the system is built out really well (tagging contacts, web templates, integration of all services into a single database)

Cons

Way too incomplete. System is in serious need of a user experience upgrade - badly. It was extremely frustrating to figure out and some of the services required code-knowledge.

Super easy setup and great technical advice from their support team.

Better output and super targeted outreach.

Pros

I had my entire campaign and organizations tech on one platform rather than 4 different systems. NationBuilder's free trainings helped my organizers be succesful in using the system which helped me knock on more doors, make more phone calls and secure more donations.

Cons

The product hasnt been updated in a few years. Could use a face lift and some enhancements with the main functions.

Does its job

Pros

We've had nation builder for a while now, the pros of the software are that it's got a lot of interesting features in it that can be manipulated with a bit of learning. Pages can be set up with simple widgets and accessibility for any information already captured.

Cons

The software itself is nice to have but we've been having issues in terms of integration. Some of the stuff on nation builder is unique and for us, it has been a challenge converting that information into something useful while maintaining our database. We've had times when our pages would crash and other times where things just didn't seem to pan out.

NationBuilder: The Most Affordable & Complete Political Tools

Amazing experience!

Pros

I love NationBuilder. It is a comprehensive political tools. You do not have a website? Within clicks you have one with NationBuilder. I love the contact management features, the mapping tools, the street and household views, the mass emailing tools, the contact log features. In short, I love everything with NationBuilder. Oh, I forgot to mentioned their outstanding dedicated customer support.

Cons

My only regret with NationBuilder is that the tools is getting more and more expensive to use. Their is also no free account available for small campaigns or candidates with limited budgets.

Easy choice for campaigners & non-profits

Pros

Tons of features, and a huge community to help.

Cons

A bit complex and takes some learning to figure it all out. But there are resources available to help.

Inflexible and poor data management do not make up for ease of use. And it's buggy, too.

I expected so much more, but am terribly disappointed in NationBuilder. I cannot recommend it. I've used both FileMaker and CiviCRM for customer relationship management and WordPress as a content management system, and they are all better than NationBuilder. I run a nonprofit with a few thousand donating members and a list of about 23,000. Here are problems with it as a CRM. It cannot handle household...

Cons

A CMS meets CRM, Nationbuilder is very intuitive with many powerful features!

This is the best CMS / CRM for all types of political projects.

Pros

- The features (albeit tailored to political campaigns) are very comprehensive and well thought out. - For non-technical admins, it's very easy to create pages, add new content, and add new prospects or supporters to the CRM.

Cons

- Some seemingly simple things (like changing font types or colors) must be done within the CSS file (i.e. it can require technical knowledge). - Tutorial section is a bit cumbersome to navigate.

CRM

Pros

Cons

Hard to complain about a great tool, but it has so much functionality it is hard to know if you are using its full potential

NationBuilder Offers the Most Basic Set of Email Functionality

Overall, Nationbuilder provides the basic features and functionality that a nonprofit would need to do the basics, but if you're looking for a campaign management program, it's not going to work for you.

Pros

I've been using Nationbuilder for the past two years managing the email list for my nonprofit. It is easy to organize many different groups in our area using this software and its user interface is clean and easy to adapt to.

Cons

I come from the B2B world and am used to a lot of the features in Pardot, Marketo, or Hubspot so I find many of the limitations of this software a bit frustrating - no true automation or notifications to track engagement, no ability to organize contacts by engagement. I also found it limiting to not have some built in email templates to work with.

The backbone of a good campaign

Pros

Offers flexibility to any campaign. Lots of functionality for basic campaigns as well as advance voter outreach

Cons

Some functionality does not necessarily add to the tool. More automation (eblasts specifically) would take the tool to the next level

good for managing advocacy and political campaigns

Pros

easy to import large data sets and create relations between the people in contact list. Good customer service

Cons

billing is a little confusing, hard to build email and website pages. Need coding experience or hiring outside consultants if you want to build a good site and emails

Great Software!

Pros

The ability to track so many data points for members.

Cons

It is a little more complicated for folks who are not tech-savvy.