Aplos Logo

Accounting and giving software for nonprofits & churches

Aplos Reviews

Suggested alternatives

intacct
netsuite
accounting-seed

I was so confused, and he was SO PATIENT. I love being connected to great customer service and overall great people.
The Fund Accounting is most helpful for the churches I help. The monthly reports are great to send to my clients so they can see where their money goes and how much they take in.
Third, I get lots of complaints from customers about the transaction errors which make it hard to give.
The Check In system, for us, was not working too well. Research was done and the application was tweaked to service us.
I am unhappy that I cannot find a Vendor to do a new A/P Entry. Instead have to scroll thru pages to find the one I'm looking for, a simple search would suffice.

DM

Don M.

Pastor

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

Great for church finances and more

Transcript

Don M.: Hi, my name is Don. I'm the pastor in a small-town church. My rating for Aplos would be a four....

Susan F.

Financial Services, 1-10 employees

Great for our small Condo Association

They are incredibly responsive, and when we initially set up the Accounts, they spent the time with me to help set us up based on our needs.

Pros

Bank Integration is a huge benefit. As the Treasurer of a small condominium association (volunteer job), I only need to spend a couple of hours a month on our financials. Running reports for our condo meetings and taxes is a breeze.

Cons

Its not completely made for condo association accounting, but we've been able to retrofit our needs. Funds doesn't exactly translate to the accounts we track, as we really do have 3 separate bank accounts. This requires an extra step in our monthly recons, but its not awful.

RJ

Roger J.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

My review . .

Overall experience . ... nothing but favorable, and to the Nth degree

Pros

Comprehensive and easy to follow . . . but I have an advanced accounting background, so it may not be easy for some.

Cons

I have no cons at the moment. I have no "like least" comments.

JT

Jennifer T.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

A great idea with POOR Customer Support

Frustrating

Pros

This system is filled with potential to bring community stakeholders together in a fundraising capacity. The integration between the donor database and the accounting GL is pretty good. For a low priced option, I would love to recommend this, but the customer support is horrible.

Cons

Lack of competent customer support. When you as the user know more than the person in "support", you end up spending alot of time training them before they will believe you that there is a problem. That is a huge waste of my time. They also have reports on line that are yielding incorrect data for our users, and they won't hide those reports pending resolution. In one word, arrogant - not helpful.

BG

Bart G.

Floats to the top

Aplos is doing the job for me. Some things are frustrating, but mostly, it's better than doing things by hand or by spreadsheet. Occasionally odd things happen. For instance, it's now January 17, and the home page is telling me that my YTD income is different from my monthly income. This can't be true in January. Similar things happen in some reports. The balance sheet will say that a fund has...

Pros

Fairly clean interface. Most reports are close to what I want.

Cons

It's still buggy. Amounts that should match, don't always. The cost has tripled in the last 3 years.

Hi Bart, If the numbers are off by a few dollars, this may be due to rounding. If you¿d like, our Support Team would be happy to look into this to give you a more specific answer. Please feel free to reach out to our Support Team at support@aplos.com. For the Setup alert: You can click on the Go To Setup button and choose some of the options like, I don¿t want to set Starting Balances. Or, there...

WA

Wendy A.

APLOS Software for my Small (but growing) Church

The people at APLOS are great to work with. Easy to reach out to, quick to respond, They are really good at listening to my particular need and showing me how APLOS helps with it vs. just a generic response. Also, you can't beat the price. (I got a Black Friday 50% off special for a year). I looked at other options - some were too much for my need (both cost and complexity) and some could be made to work (Quickbooks for example) but were not really designed for a church. This is PERFECT for us.

Pros

I purchased this software to help me take on a new role as treasurer of a small church. Am about 6 weeks into a "practice period" and will wipe out my practice data and start clean in January. It has (almost) everything I could want and some things I did not expect. The people database for church members, vendors, & prospects supports communication and there are robust accounting features (budgeting,...

Cons

Have found only 2 things missing so far: 1) My pastor wants the ability to use the letter/email functions to communicate with members (uses the contact database) without seeing their donation records - and right now that "separation" isn't available. Also in recording donations, I would like to differentiate between cash and check because you need that info to make your bank deposit. APLOS doesn't provide for that. There's a workaround but not a great one. Customer Service made note of both of these needs for future releases.

RC

Roslyn C.

Religious Institutions, self-employed

Aplos - A Stellar Business Model!

My overall experience with Aplos has been phenomenal! They literally have THE BEST customer service of any company in any type of business with whom I have ever interacted! When I contact them with a question, I am always made to feel like a valued customer. In addition, each customer service representative has always answered my questions thoroughly, kindly, and professionally. I also like the fact that Aplos listens to its customer base. Over the years (since 2015) that we have been with Aplos, I have seen improvements/additions to the software as a direct result of customer feedback.

Pros

What I like most about the Aplos software are the many features it offers that make the business aspect of our ministry so much easier to handle than it was before. Within Aplos, we get the extremely beneficial multi-level fund accounting, donor management, event registration, website building, etc. As we are growing, we are also applying other features of the software. It just keeps getting better!

Cons

Initial integration of this software into our church usage had its "hiccups" but not because of Aplos. It was a "learn-as-you-go" process for me.

DS

Debra S.

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

New to Fund Accounting

I do not have another Fund Accounting Software to compare Aplos to, but I can't imagine that anyone could offer better Customer Service. They are very helpful, and help resolve issues. This would be a number one reason for using Aplos, not knowing if other companies provide the same level of Service...I can't say if they are the best, but they are very helpful.

Pros

I really like the Reconciliation process...it is simple to understand and works perfectly. I value the support that Aplos provides. I am new to Fund Accounting, with NO experience at all, but I have been with Aplos for over a year and they are always willing to take the time to help me figure out how to fix what I didn't understand and a good way to proceed.

Cons

I am unhappy that I cannot find a Vendor to do a new A/P Entry..instead have to scroll thru pages to find the one I'm looking for, a simple search would suffice. I also find reporting to be a bit confusing....it is not intuitive...it sometimes takes several steps (that are not obvious) to get the report I need. Additionally, I believe that the price per month should include a second user, for dual control purposes, for instance a second person to do Bank Reconciliations.

TW

Terry W.

Amazing Fund Accounting software for small to medium non-profits!

If you are busy with the stuff that your non-profit is about, and accounting for the organisation is a necessary dragon, then Aplos will be your knight in shining armor to slay it! Having implemented a number of other products for small organisations in the past (Quickbooks, Xero, Sage, MS Dynamics GP) I have to give the award for easiest, quickest & most readily accepted to Aplos. If you want to...

SS

Shana S.

Education Management, 1-10 employees

Great system for project based accounting

Really great. I have no desire to use any other software.

Pros

It’s really a straightforward bookkeeping software with excellent training and support. I feel like I’m getting a solid value for my money.

Cons

The training felt a little disjointed, and perhaps it’s because I’m not a trained bookkeeper. So they give great advice when it hits home, but there were some basics I was missing. Keep training from the ground up.

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

Efficient and Easy

Pros

The software is easy to use and not too expensive. Minimal accounting or bookkeeping experience is needed.

Cons

I saw the software worked great when our church was small. As it grew the amount of accounting required a program that could keep track of individual versus batch transactions.

CW

Cheryl W.

Overpriced and Too Complicate for Small Organizations

If you don't need any help, this program can be great. But as soon as something does not work for you, forget it. Their support staff is friendly but ineffective.

Pros

Integration with PayPal was really nice, also the capacity to create and send emails to donors.

Cons

PRICING: Force to pay for features we never use. And their new pricing schedule (july 2022) DOUBLED our subscription price without adding a single new feature. SUPPORT: Nobody helped us understand and make good choices regarding their new pricing schedule. They just don't care or respond to our needs.

RP

Robin P.

Intuitive Software and great support

We have a robust reporting for our church finances. Better than most I've seen and I think it is in most part due to the ability to talk through the needs with Aplos support and get the help on what functionality meets those needs.

Pros

When I came on board as treasurer we were using the software inefficiently and not taking advantage of functionalities that would help us. I worked with the team asking questions about my needs and they translated those needs to functionality. Within a very short time I created funds and tracked financials that gave a much better picture of our finances.

Cons

I was not around for implementation so I am unsure if the problems were the Aplos or GVC team related. Now I understand the software, it is critical to plan the uses than implement .

sk

sanu k.

Education Management, 1,001-5,000 employees

Aplos is designed to be user-friendly and easy to use

Aplos is an excellent choice for nonprofits and other organizations that need to manage their finances and donations. Its fund accounting, donor management, online giving, reporting, and ease of use make it one of the best accounting software options for nonprofits.

Pros

Aplos has a robust fund accounting system that allows organizations to track their income and expenses by fund, program, or project. This feature is essential for nonprofits that need to report on how their funds are being used.it allows organizations to track their donors and donations, create donation forms, and generate reports on their fundraising activities. This feature makes it easy for nonprofits to manage their fundraising efforts and build relationships with their donors.

Cons

Limited mobile app: While Aplos has a mobile app for iOS and Android devices, the app is limited in terms of features and functionality. Some users may find that they need to use the desktop version of Aplos to access all of the features they need.Aplos can be more expensive than some other accounting software options, particularly for smaller organizations.

MW

Michelle W.

The Best Software purchase we ever made and the Only company we will ever use

I have enhanced my knowledge by taking the free classes and learned Fund Accounting

Pros

Where can I start.... this software is designed for little experience in Fund Accounting or experienced people. We are a small organization and we have Benefitted Greatly. Covid has impacted the churches and Text to Give has helped us because Aplos stays on the cutting Edge with their software. I have enjoyed the classes that are Free with the software. I have also called their outstanding customer service and been helped with every issue. If you are looking at this as another expense..... you are Wrong this will be the BEST purchase you have made. I like being organized with Ministry financials and you can print off reports quickly for meetings.

Cons

I have nothing to say about this software but it is excellent

SO

Sue O.

Excellent Software for Churches

An IT person picked this software for our church but it is an accountant's dream! I am so impressed. And, the customer support team has always been so available and helpful. If you are not an accountant, they can train you up with their free seminars on how to do practically any needed accounting process.

Pros

To do the accounting for a small, independent church, I find APLOS to be very easy to use, forgiving of mistakes and changes, reliable, and very well designed. It has done everything that we have asked of it! Never has there been any lost data.

Cons

Usually, I can think of ways to improve a product but I have never once thought: "I wish that APLOS would do this differently."

EM

Elizabeth M.

Performing Arts, 1-10 employees

Easy of use with big impact.

Pros

Our company is run by a VERY small team. Aplos' ease of use allows me to book keep, budget, and analyze our finances efficiently, and saves our small nonprofit lots of time and heartache. The customer service is ALWAYS quick to respond and help. The tags function allows us to track our service to our many partners, which is very easy to manage. Aplos = ease of use leading to a BIG impact!

Cons

Unsure what to say here. As an administrator Aplos fulfills our needs. There hasn't been anything that's come up that I've disliked.

LJ

Linda J.

Aplos Fund Accounting

I have used the basic version Aplos for our small nonprofit foodshelf for nearly a year. I am a novice at accounting, so I started with the fun, informative teaching videos and it all made sense. Initially setting up the accounts we needed took some thought, but it was up and running in a short time. I'm able to enter transactions quickly, make changes easily as needed, and run all the reports I need...

Pros

I liked the ease of navigating the different functions, ease of setting up accounts and budget, the cloud-based format, the number and types of reports that meet all our needs, and the easy bank reconciliation function. Our small nonprofit got a monthly discount. Training videos very to-the-point and entertaining too.

Cons

I wish Aplos had a deposit slip printing function in the basic version - not sure if they do in the upgrade?

SH

Stephanie H.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

Easy to Use Software for Non profits

I really liked the software and the compatibility to link it with your bank account. This software actually does assist with mailing out info to donors and setting up recurring donations etc.

Pros

I liked the ease of use and the fact that you could chat with representatives to assist with any questions. They also provided free webinars often to assist with fundraising tactics and other things.

Cons

Well if you utilize their promotions it is affordable but if not it can be a little costly for a starting non profit.

KV

Kathryn V.

Accounting, 1-10 employees

My favorite online software EVER

Pros

Aplos is super user-friendly. The training videos are clear, concise and so helpful. It only takes minutes to set up your system and customize it. And the ability to customize is limitless!!!

Cons

No cons. I've been using Aplos for years and haven't found anything I don't like!

KM

Karen M.

Needs some maturity

I've been using Aplos for about one month and am finding a number of shortcomings for what I need. We run most of our invoicing through AP and Aplos does not have a strong tie between AP and payments, making it cumbersome to pay multiple invoices with one check. In addition, the payments page requires re-entry of the amounts for each invoice. If you generally pay the full amount, that's an unnecessary step. Reports look really nice, but need formatting flexibility beyond filtering.

Pros

The dashboard is very powerful and provides a lot of data up front. Reports look very professional. Customer support is excellent!

Cons

Some navigation is awkward (like entering Percentage before Amount in AP, needing to click multiple + signs to expand sections in some reports, and having to enter each dollar amount to pay bills when the full amount should be the default). I lost data at least a couple of times trying to look up accounts while entering a Receipt because I wasn't warned that navigating away from the receipt would delete my entry.

RF

Ryan F.

Extremely easy, cloud-based accounting software

Pros

The fact that Aplos Accounting is cloud-based means that I can access our books from any computer, whether I am at the office or not.

Cons

It is a little pricey. However, despite it being pricier than programs such as Quickbooks and other accounting software, the cloud-based feature more than makes up for its cost.

BH

Bev H.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

We have used Aplos since December 2016, and their have been ongoing upgrades and improvements that enhance the operations of the system.

Pros

Improvements, enhancements and options available

Cons

too much additions too quickly without going back to current functions and reports and improving or modifying them.

CS

Carmen S.

Aplos Review

Aplos has been great about adding features that are helpful for book-keeping for a church with multiple funds. I appreciate that when feedback is given, Aplos listens and accommodates the needs that we have! Everyone at Aplos is super-friendly and very helpful!

Pros

That it is "multiple-fund friendly". I appreciate the ease of use for recording contributions and expenses.

Cons

Reporting but probably because I'm not sure what I'm doing. Contacts- I wish there was a way to record spouses together as a single contact.

CZ

Christina Z.

Information Technology and Services, 5,001-10,000 employees

aplos

Pros

We have used the application at the small business level for business accounting. The platform is very simple and user friendly. It meets expectations and donations or contributions are easy to apply. The message boards clearly display how far we are and how much is still missing. The charts and dashboard is very clear, the controls are simple with integration has not been a problem. I liked the possible real time view of the data. Accelerated way to receive donations and the ability to automate.

Cons

We have used it at a small business level and the platform has lived up to our expectations, we have had no complaints in the time we have used it.

DH

Debra H.

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

CFO of Nonprofit for decades.

I love the ability to due true fund balance accounting. For years I used Peachtree with job costs and spreadsheets to accomplish. This is a huge upgrade. I think the work around in the deposits is worth it for the fund balances.

Pros

It is easy to use "out of the box." If you been working with Quickbooks or Quicken this will be an easy transition. Also, you can add multiple tags to a single transaction, and then you can sort on these different tags. This provides and amazing matrix of data.

Cons

I big big draw back for me is the inability to batch deposits. It makes it more difficult to do reconciliations. They do this because the want you to use their CRM component. Of course there is a work around, but I would rather not "work around" such a critical area.