Checkfront Reviews

4.5

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.47/10

Reviews by rating

The support has an amazing actitud and vibe. They are on top of things to help the user.
After years of use, my favorite thing about Checkfront is the helpful support team. They always provide detailed, competent and helpful answers.
Ease of use, very intuitive. I was nervous about the quality of the support after our free trial expired, but have found Checkfront staff to be very helpful and responsive to all of my questions.
Extremely disenchanted with the service. TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE TO BLOW CUSTOMERS OFF--how UNPROFESSIONAL.
Monthly cost is quite high- we are a very small business and no discounts available and packages unable to be tailored to our needs so we are paying for things we do not require.
During covid, the hibernation plan means that your website goes offline.

MS

Mark S.

Sales and Marketing

An Excellent All-Around Booking Platform

Transcript

Mark S.: Hi, I'm Mark. I work for a company called Trekventures. We are a UK-based tour operator. My...

Hi, Mark! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with Checkfront. We are glad to hear the ease of customization and automation has helped you and your business. We value all your feedback so I have passed your review along to our product teams for consideration. Warmly, Tasha @ Checkfront

MO

Michael O.

President

Food & Beverages, 1-10 employees

Easy to implement, great support

Transcript

Michael: Hi, I'm Michael. I'm the owner of a tour operating company and I give Checkfront four out of...

Andrew B.

Leisure, Travel & Tourism, self-employed

Everything you need as a guide

Checkfront allows me to have a customer website to take bookings but also the ability to take bookings and payments from a variety of other sources and manage them all in one place.

Pros

Checkfront allows you to set up a tour guide website relatively quickly without the hassle of knowing how to code. Although the designs are limited they are perfect for displaying tours available for your clients and making it easy for them to check availability and book tours. The backend system is what makes this powerful, allowing me to manage my tours whether they were booked through the site or via agents.

Cons

Some of the set-up if requiring special options is rather complicated but the help notes are clear and comprehensive. It is just a matter of persevering and checking to make sure you've got it set up right.

ES

Emanuel S.

Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 1-10 employees

Checkfront is the revolution for small/medium businesses, with an outstanding Customer Service !

Great, because even if not perfect Checkfront helps you improve your business and has the great quality to listen to their customers trying to help everyone with their own demands! this is priceless!

Pros

The flexibility. You are in the condition to bend the software depending on your demand. And this is great! Another GREAT quality is not the software but relate to that and is the customer service. one of the best I even dealt with. every time you have a doubt they are responsive and always will help you at the best of their abilities to achieve your goal. is this an ENORMOUS quality!

Cons

It's not totally optimized for a business like ours that sells cruise, there are software that give you the possibility to have a graphic visual of the boat with all the cabins. but Checkfront is young and I'm sure that in the future these features will be implemented!

Hi Emanuel, thanks for your feedback. We're glad you're enjoying the flexibility that Checkfront provides and that it has been easy to use thus far. We'll be sure to pass on your feedback on the visual map booking option. Once again, thanks for choosing Checkfront :)

ST

Sue T.

FRUSTRATING !!

It was a good system to get me started in my business but it doesn't offer me the flexibility i need. It was easy to set up. Easy to navigate.

Pros

A relatively simple system to use and easy to navigate. The layout is good on the calendar pager and the reports offer valuable information.

Cons

I find the system very inflexible to my needs, eg. Can not offer Room only and Rooms with breakfast from the same inventory stock. There are no error messages when you are clearly not setting things up correctly. Eg, Setting up an event, you have to go to the help page all the time to ensure you are doing it right. Pop ups with helpful tips would be better & time saving. Item Event Rules/rule sets...

RH

Richard H.

Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 11-50 employees

Comprehensive system with good support

I have been very impressed that Checkfront has been able to manage all aspects of our reservation system (online booking, calendar, inventory, waiver forms and integration with our POS). We were able to switch from a paper/whiteboard whiteboard model to completely digital this year thanks to our Checkfront implementation and it has been a game changer. Support has been very good and makes all the difference with configuration questions and minor system issues.

Pros

I have an IT background and was able to install and configure this system mostly on my own. I needed help with a few more complex configuration questions but pretty impressive that a system this sophisticated can be setup by the end user. It is very flexible and powerful but this also means that setup can get quite involved.

Cons

Reporting is a weakness with no custom reporting options. Ongoing development of the product is slow and currently with no transparency on the roadmap. They have promised to share more info on this though.

Ferdi FJ L.

Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 11-50 employees

Best and quick to reply!

I've been using Checkfront since day 1 and also have been one of the first companies that support their tour operator applications. I think it is now almost 11 years.. What can I say, just 'simply the best! I've met the team at a conference/travel technology event once and it just shows that this company is built and run by people - real people with a passion to make it easier for anyone to run their business without worrying about the technical details. Keep it up Team Checkfront!

Pros

It's got it all.. from booking setup to distribution channels.

Cons

Not easy to integrate and display various currencies. Or take payments in different currencies, but hey - they are working on that. Also not easy to hide certain products from the public and only allow access with an URL for special events or products that may only be viewed by some customers. Resource management feature is not live yet, but it sounds like this will be a complete game-changer; making it possible to manage all guides, transport, the hiring of equipment and even activities and accommodation required for trips and tours.

PH

Pam H.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Easy On Line Booking System

Pros

The systems are in place to send email reminders and confirmations of items booked. The booking is easy to set up so your customers can go through the form themselves

Cons

When checking on a customer name you have to be exact - it doesn't show similar names like it use to, would love that back

Pam, we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I've passed along your feedback to our Product team to consider as they are constantly working to meet our customers' needs. Best, -Tasha B.

PK

Paul K.

Pleasant end-user experience

Pros

The reservation management feature is excellent as is the in-built facility to collect waivers from guests.

Cons

We have two separate components to our business and whilst Checkfront works seamlessly for the standard rental letting element, it does require some manual manipulation for the other components.

Hello Paul, We appreciate your feedback and happy to hear you have had a pleasant experience using us! If there is anything we can help with for the other components you mentioned, please don't hesitate to reach out to our support team. Thank you, Jamie @ Checkfront

SB

Sharon B.

Leisure, Travel & Tourism, self-employed

Excellent way to run your in-house reservation system

Very positive

Pros

The overall use is great. It takes time to learn and set up but pays itself back ten fold once in play making your small business run professionally.

Cons

Limited items unless you upgrade which doesn’t make sense for small seasonal businesses. We don’t run in the winter so let us keep being able to hibernate the account in the winter and not pay full price.

VK

Vincent K.

Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 1-10 employees

Booking and Build With Ease!!

Great the support guys have been fantastic in helping me refine the application and adjusting it to our requirements.

Pros

I managed to build an entire booking system from scratch and can maintain it without and army of tech prople.

Cons

I was being billed for users i did not require but the team have now resolved that issue.

AO

Annie O.

Bike Hire, Annie

It's very good.

Pros

Easy-to-use. Reports are helpful when reviewing my business

Cons

Changing an inventory item when aliased . It takes a long time to set up inventory items. If the parent number is changed, it would be good if aliased would automatically change.

Hi Annie, thank you for taking the time to review Checkfront. I have passed along your feedback to our product team as they thrive off of customer feedback. Best, - Tasha B.

JC

Jessica C.

Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 11-50 employees

Had high hopes:( Hoping it will turn around...They will do it, I KNOW IT!

Now is the time for private, and I would guestimate that you're at least 6-months away, if not more, from you guys nailing that. Perhaps your software is much more comprehensive? A photoshop, undiscovered? A Linkedin, now FB rival? IDK. I can only find little bugs that make zero sense (on both sides). A mandatory forced parameter can never be one, and it must be less than zero, or it's NOT enforceable. I have an extensive list for your guys if I can find the time. Great people, GREAT value, guys! I just sincerely wasn't about to pay a setup fee due to the complexities of my business. I'm a HUGE what-if person, and those variables are not there yet.

Pros

The sales folks have been incredible! Very patient, helpful, and lovely.

Cons

You guys are on the right track, but I think that your growth will possibly hurt you. I've been watching your Company for many years and finally convinced one of my customers to switch over from Rezdy. The integration has not been easy, and I've not slept for days, challenged with the tiniest minor bugs that I can't believe no one hasn't mentioned? I hate to say it, but I miss Rezdy. They have not changed much in at least 10-years+. What was so illogical with their software now is not so bad now. They also amped it up a notch. I also miss calling you guys up and working through a problem, impossible to get through, just in between the old and the new. Bad timing, I think?

Amanda R.

We love it!

We love it and may change our entire booking system over to it !

Pros

That customers can see the calendar of what is booked - we do not have to manage that! They can't double book

Cons

Not much we don't like - maybe could be easier to block off a day . Had to play around a bit to figure it out

Hi Amanda! Thank you for taking the time to submit a great review :) We really appreciate it. We are glad you were able to find out how to close off a date. If you ever need assistance with things like that in the future our Support team would be more than happy to help at support@checkfront.com. Again, thank you for choosing Checkfront :)

MP

Melissa P.

Consumer Services, 11-50 employees

Haliburton Forest Review on Checkfront

Overall, we have been extremely satisfied and find that checkfront has more benefits than cons, but it would be nice if the cons could be improved. We have only been using checkfront for a little over a year and couldn't ask for an easier program to use. It has definitely improved how we manage our reservations and are constantly learning about new features and how others work.

Pros

This is very user friendly, both on the back end/set up side as well as the user side. The reservation system we used to use is extremely limited. We love that we can create a reservation and easily make changes. Our old system was not as user friendly and we would have to delete a reservation and re-create it even if we wanted to something as simple as change a date.

Cons

The website version is awesome, but the mobile app is not as user friendly as we would like and we are not thrilled with the reports. For the app, we are unable to check booking documents or update the reservations. That's great that we can check them in, but if they need to add a feature or change their dates at time of check in, we have to switch over to the web version, then switch back for payment....

CR

Capt Rob J.

Recreational Facilities and Services, 1-10 employees

My love affair with Checkfront

I like the expert advise and help. Your support staff needs to be congratulated.

Pros

if Checkfront was not available for me, I would be drowning in a sea of paperwork. For example, I started using the documentations app two years ago. It has allowed us to develop a social distancing booking system, that is touchless and COVID approved. After an initial setup and learning process, our customer response has been very positive because we have eliminated the paperwork "Hassel" at the boarding gate. It has cut our boarding time in half because all the insurance required documentation is now done at their home or office. It has eliminated filing of the paperwork. It has made documentation look up easier.

Cons

I have been with Checkfront for almost 10 years. They have eliminate many of my concerns. However, currently my discount codes do not work like they use to. When I use multiple discounts on the same invoice. For example, I might have 3 or 4 rental booking on the same invoice, representing 3 to 4 days of rental for that week. We offer a 25% discount on weekday rentals and a 10% rental on weekends. I should be able to have different discount rates for each booking by using the "per item" discount code. Unfortunately, it does not work that way. The total is the same but the software prorates the discount on all items on the invoice. This is very confusing to my customer.

Captain Rob! What an outstanding and honest review! We are so happy to hear that we have taken away from all the paper work, and helped during the COVID transition. We really appreciate your feedback on our Discounts and will be sharing this. Thank you again for choosing Checkfront :)

CD

Carrie D.

Perfect for our Family Business

Really, us integrating Checkfront into our website and online booking was a game-changer for our family business. It has literally saved me so much time and sanity on making/changing/cancelling customer reservations, as well as monthly reports for my own records (and comparing year over year data), as well as for Hotel Tax, and easy viewing for scheduling our employees and cleaning. A true game-changer for taking our business to the next level.

Pros

Seamless integration with our website. Easy to streamline with our credit card processor. Powerful Reports at our fingertips. Customer Service if there is an occasional snafu. Helpful community and tutorial videos when setting up new accounts, items, events, etc.

Cons

This was tough, but of course there is a bit of a learning curve when you are first setting up all the parameters that are right for you business. Plenty of customer service and a large community support to post your questions, or search for an answer because someone has already crossed that bridge successfully. Also loved that once I set up my "Item Event" (think: 3 day minimum stay for Labor Day) then I can easily use a copy button to make each subsequent year's Item Event. So I do not have to recreate the wheel.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

A powerful tool to manage your guest house bookings

Despite some small shortcomings I am quite happy with Checkfront product and support service.

Pros

Very well thought out and feature rich to accommodate the quirks of your business with good booking calendar and discount options. The support is also great and response times are less than a day. We been using Checkfront for 7 years now and have no plans to move away despite some small shortcomings. Highly recommended.

Cons

The ability to make integrations to other services like accounting systems are limited. With the rise of functional programming like AWS lambda, I think its trivial to add some capability to integrate to other systems using similar event triggered functions or webhooks. Checkfront does have something like this but its quite limited. There is no support for multi item discounts as yet so customers are unable to get a discount if they book multiple inventory items. This is a key feature that I hope they will have in future. The ability to style the embeddable iframe booking page is also a bit limited and I can't get it to match my website style.

AC

ANNABEL C.

Arts and Crafts, 1-10 employees

Small business

Pros

By far the easiest and straightforward system I found to use for my business. We have had positive comments from our customers who said they found booking on to a workshop fairly simple and easy to do. The calendar is very clear and makes it easy to see what bookings we have each day.

Cons

Limited ability to customise gift certificates on layout and does not look very professional. Could be a lot better looking for our customers to receive as a gift. Always have problems uploading images and resizing issues. Customers get confused with first booking screen where it states enter promo/voucher code and try to enter their gift certificate number here rather than at checkout. Could be...

DC

David C.

Hospitality, 11-50 employees

A good foundation but could do better

Overall, we have been happy with Checkfront. There is some improvement we'd like to do on the notification and invoicing side of things so that the booking process is more informative and smooth. The guides could provide more indepth information on this topic.

Pros

Going from paper based to cloud based has been a big help in recording all our bookings and allowing multiple users to view what bookings have been entered. We use Checkfront for our accommoation, catering, meeting rooms and equipment bookings so need a level of complexity to do this and Checkfront is up to the task. The main difference for us is that we manage the bookings in house after an enquiry is made via phone/email or our website. We do not run a live booking portal for guests to make bookings from.

Cons

The intergration with Xero does not talk back and forth therefore, invoices that change totals after they are booked show discrepancies with the final amount. Setting new rates in advance through the item events function was recommended however, it does not suit more complex items such as rooms with multiple occupancy etc.

LB

Leif B.

Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 1-10 employees

Best booking software in this price range by far!

Pros

First and foremost, Checkfront is affordable for a small business our size, and even though they are much more affordable than the high-cost competition, Checkfront doesn't scrimp on features and functionality. Checkfront takes a day or two to get used to but that's only because it's jam-packed full of useful and necessary features. Checkfront is a fully functional and complete booking system that won't leave you feeling like there's always something missing, as is the case with so many other low-cost providers.

Cons

I can't complain about a system that does everything the big high-cost alternatives do for a price that's affordable and cost-effective for small businesses like mine.

Hi Leif! We appreciate the time you took to write such a great review! Thank you so much! We are glad to hear that you find us an affordable option for smaller businesses. Your feedback on getting started will be shared with our team. Thank you again for choosing Checkfront!

CM

Cindee M.

aeffective booking system

professional and helpful. more than what I need. but quite happy. other than a few issues.

Pros

simple efficient. keeps track of chats easy to cancel and make bookings. very helpful online troubleshooting the techs are very knowledgeable and easy to follow their help.i love the banners paid and unpaid or cancelled very cool.

Cons

the home page is clunky. would be better if your arrivals and departures were in list form on this page. the calendar would work better if you could drag and drop bookings to gain a day here and there.

CG

Claire G.

Fishery, 1-10 employees

Checkfront for Fishing Charters Business

Our clients love being able to check availability and pay online. They don't book online as often as we'd like them to but at least the facility is there. Checkfront integrates with our website easily and there are lots of addons available as the business expands. It's a great system.

Pros

Checkfront's customer support is brilliant. No question too silly and no work around too finicky. The system is really easy to use and the online 'How to' guides cover all of the basics clearly. There's a pretty good range of reports which means end of month is only a few clicks to give the owners a good picture of what's going on with their business.

Cons

I would like to see a few of our wish list items be actioned to enable the system to work even better for our business. Whether these items are added to the full system or a feature being added to our system only. In the meantime, the work-arounds recommended by support are usually more than adequate.

JI

Jennifer I.

Great for Hotels that also offer Services

Overall, we're very happy with Checkfront. We recently looked for other solutions to see what was available on the market but we ended up sticking with Checkfront.

Pros

What we like most about Checkfront is that it is a multi-use tool. We find that there aren't a lot of solutions out there if you offer rooms AND tours.

Cons

It seems like they don't update it very often. The overall layout and design has been the same since 2015.

AP

Ana P.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Great Solution.

Fantastic and happy I chose it.

Pros

Checkfront is an easy software with plenty of flexibility. Fantastic Customer Care and that is the best part of it. We have been successfully using it for over 4 years with almost none problems. Paying solutions are spotless and easy to use.

Cons

It needs some new features such us: - Male /Female inventory control - as at the moment is not possible to control that if you need to have gender only groups.

Hi Ana, thanks for your honest feedback. We're glad you're enjoying the flexibility that Checkfront provides and that it has been easy to use. We'll be sure to pass on your feedback and feature requests. Once again, thanks for choosing Checkfront :)

BL

Bruce L.

Recreational Facilities and Services, 1-10 employees

Fantastic product

Instant reservations showing availability

Pros

Online reservations showing availability

Cons

Don't have any issues at all with the product works great for us.

We are so happy to hear that we have been able to help you and your business! Thank you for your review :)

MM

Maggie M.

Entertainment, self-employed

Why I chose over other 3rd party platforms

The customer service is great! Platform affordable! And possibilities almost endless!

Pros

As a new business I was looking for a platform that would show availability to customers and hold all my inventory. As far as price, they beat the competitors. I tried several platforms with their trial periods and checkfront won hands down. They set up an initial phone call to answer any questions you have and walk you through features. And even still after using for almost 2 year I find myself asking “what if I could do this?” Checkfront as a real-time instant message I visit frequently and typically they make that “what if” a reality.

Cons

For my business of rentals their platform is limited as far as design and image uploads. But overall minor detail in scope of what they are capable of.