Canopy Logo

Canopy

Practice management software for accounting firms

Canopy Reviews

4.5

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.86/10

Reviews by rating

Suggested alternatives

We love Canopy and love that they continue to improve their software with new integrations and functions every quarter.
I love that it's so user friendly and the customer service is great. I love that they are always contacting us about new ideas to integrate into the program and they have implemented them.
Help with Tax Resolution!!!! I love being able to send client request. Completing forms within the system is very helpful.
After a lot of $, we have been so frustrated we haven't even gotten off the ground. The support is terrible and there is very amateurish implementation planning.
Honestly, customer support is the lowest on my list with this software. It's difficult to get answers and then when I get someone, they tell me no one has every reported that before.
Customer Service is Terribly - This Company is too new to meet deadlines.

John B.

Great product extraordinary customer support!

In it's fully developed form this product would be second to none! At the moment we use the product primarily for form population and transcript reports.

Pros

Integrated Form population - detailed client survey - transcript reports - assistant for innocent spouse and penalty abatement

Cons

no chronological record per client to record calls and history of actions taken - no integrated calendar per user per client integrated to a record showing actions taken - email is not very functional or user-friendly at this point.

SH

Stephen H.

Accounting, 1-10 employees

Canopy is a great all in one!

Pros

I really enjoy the fact that my CRM, billing, and document management is on one platform.

Cons

I'm still getting used to the features. I do wish that it had some additional options for payment syncing, link sharing outside of the portal, and the option to add further correspondence to a task.

Thank you for this feedback, Stephen! Have you hear about our new Secure Links feature!? It allows you to securely share documents and request signatures from people who do not have the customer portal! Take a look at the update here: https://www.getcanopy.com/product-updates/get-esignatures-faster-with-secure-links-canopy#:~:text=The%20secure%20link%20is%20sent,designate%20them%20to%20do%20so.

VW

Vicki W.

Used monthly for less than 6 months

Penn York Accounting Services Inc

My experience was less than impressive, further I get so many sales calls even after repeatedly I am doing representation with Tax Helper Software

Pros

Canopy had the capacity of pulling transcripts one at a time, but Tax Helper Software will update all of my clients that have POA over night, 1600 client transcripts are pulled at that time

Cons

Not enough features compared to Tax Helper Software.

AL

Andrea L.

Has it's place

Customer support is great. The client management module is great. I will probably let go of the workflow module, though, when my subscription is up because there's a lack of collaboration features, like no internal chat.

Pros

I love the Client Management module and the client-facing mobile app. It is very simple for our clients to use and to send us documents securely. We have had great success with client-adoption. I also like the automated client reminders.

Cons

OMG, it takes SO MANY clicks to accomplish anything. Pretty much everything you can do inside canopy could be streamlined by reducing at least one click. Working across multiple tasks, across multiple clients, that's a lot of clicks. Also, the firm-facing mobile app UI could be greatly improved and have better functionality.

RB

Ronda B.

Accounting, 11-50 employees

Canopy - our new best friend

Our experience with Canopy has been a very positive one. Their customer support is excellent. I have appreciated them reaching out to us to see how we are doing certain tasks and we are able to give them suggestions for change. I would recommend this product to other firms outside our demographic. I don't want the competition to have the advantage we have with Canopy!

Pros

We switched from Office Tools to Canopy over 2 years ago. The implementation and data transfer was almost seamless. The mobile app and client portal have been invaluable to our client base. We were implementing Canopy before COVID so when the shut downs hit we were already ahead of the game for being digital for everything with a portal and app that worked and was easy for our client base to use.

Cons

I wish the reporting was more accurate so our utilization rates were a better reflection. It would nice to customize reports for what the firm values with certain items.

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review! We appreciate your feedback! We're excited to hear the impact Canopy is making at your firm.

JG

Joshua G.

Better than Great

Canopy has helped me improve the remote part of my business, so I can serve Clients around the world, even when I am not in the US.

Pros

The better-than-bank security made the choice a no-brainer.

Cons

The instant access to files that a Client uploaded wasted precious seconds every time I accessed a Client's folder.

We're glad you're enjoying Canopy Joshua! Thank you for your time leaving a review and we hope to continue making your practice as secure as possible for years to come!

SB

Sandeep B.

Perfect Solution for CPAs

Fantastic -- my workflow, project/task management, document retrieval/editing/sharing etc.

Pros

Frankly, I purchased Canopy in November of 2019 when I opened up my practice in my home office, and didn't have a full grasp of it as the pandemic hit. 3+ years later - with much of the transition in the last few months - I can't imagine my practice without Canopy. The interface is super user-friendly, there are many options providing the user with a more personalized approach.

Cons

Sometimes certain shortcuts aren't available, or the desktop software errors etc. but it's small things and so far I've managed fine; needless to say Canopy is continuously improving so (not a con) once the "Print" or "Save" option directly to Canopy was available and my contacts were set integrated with emails etc. it's been a breeze.

We're so happy to hear that Canopy has helped you launch your in-home practice! We are always striving to improve and are glad to hear we're going in the right direction. Thanks for being a Canopy user, Sandeep!

Aimee R.

Accounting, self-employed

Great software - even for those in a solo practice.

I have tired other softwares and this one has been a great fit and easy to adopt.

Pros

The document storage and communication tools.

Cons

A little pricey for all the bells and whistles.

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review! We appreciate your feedback, Aimee.

KW

Kailee W.

GREAT PRODUCT- Depth of Use

Record keeping is great. I will look into how I can expand use for our firm since we use primarily as a client portal with work flow management and document storage.

Pros

Canopy is great to use to keep client information safe and secure. With such advancements in technology, it is imperative to have a platform like this where the information can be conveniently accessed by both the users and clients, active or archived... it's just great.

Cons

No difficulty at all... I just wish all clients will utilize this platform... I may have to require them to do so!

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review! We appreciate your feedback, Kailee

JP

Jamie P.

Accounting, 1-10 employees

Great, easy and convenient for all of our needs.

Awesome

Pros

File sharing and ease of uploading from anywhere.

Cons

Time tracker is my least favorite as it's hard to remember to turn it off sometimes.

Thank you for your feedback, Jamie! We'd like to make the product as functional as possible. Send us your input about the time tracker here: https://feedback.getcanopy.com/

Alison R.

Where to start

There are other options out there and I could easily stick w sharefile. However I wanted to up my game and show my clients a better higher tech experience. As you know, solopreneurs have a hard time competing w the small to middle size firms. Seems like you need to up your game or at least let me know about your game!

Pros

Clients like the portal. It has helped improve the perception that my firm cares about their info. It also feels very organized. It is easy to set up a portal.

Cons

Yegads, what to me seems like obvious items, the organizer doesn’t roll over from prior year to current year. Your current solution is for me to set up customer accounts for each member of a family unit. This seems dumb and a waste of accounts, my and my team’s time, my money and the client perception and experience. If i as a customer was asked by my firm to re enter all prior year into, I would...

NH

Nicole H.

Review of Canopy - 1 month in

I like Canopy and I'll continue to use it. I'm glad I'm working on the conversion in November rather than Feb/March. I expect to have everything perfect by the chaos of tax season.

Pros

I love the portal and the client/entity set up. I love that everything related to my workflow is in Canopy (except the tax return). It's very nice to have everything in one system.

Cons

The syncing with QBO hasn't been as easy as I'd like, but that may be an Intuit issue as well. There are issues when duplicate clients are created and you merge them. If the client was already linked in Canopy, that link is broken and I don't know how to recreate it. I hear that a function to sync specific clients in Canopy is coming soon and that should resolve my issue. I haven't been able to pull a transcript yet. I keep getting "Pull Failed". I'm not sure if this in an IRS issue or Canopy. Hopefully this can be resolved soon.

JZ

John Z.

Legal Services, 1-10 employees

Canopy is a good option- not sure if they are the best though.

On a scale of 1-10, I would say it is a 6.5 or a 7. There are many functions that make this very easy to use, however, as time passes the development team decides to take the ease of use and make it more challenging. Too much focus on making the interface "pretty" and not enough on actual items that make productivity better.

Pros

The product is simple to use. However, Canopy likes to make changes to items that do not need any changes. In doing so, they break their own system for several days and the new function isn't worth the hassle. Transcripts are now significantly more complicated and time-consuming to get to.

Cons

The fact that the backend team decides to make changes as to what they think is best for the client. Most of their changes do not have any positive effect on how we operate the practice and only make things more challenging and frustrating to use.

TR

Tyler R.

Wholesale, 10,001+ employees

Change for the Better!

My experience with Canopy is amazing I will never leave and i will invite all my friends and family

Pros

The thing that i liked the most about the software was that it was easy to use and it was also inexpensive.

Cons

I wish I could use more charts in the software but besides that it is amazing

Karen C.

Game changer

Pros

We luckily chose Canopy as our client portal system pre-pandemic. When the shut down occurred, we were ready to continue servicing our clients during this very termultuous time. AS we move forward from the pandemic, our clients have found they like having a single source to share documents virtually. We as a firm continue to develop our skills in Canopy and now use it for engagement letters, tax documents and any communications with our clients

Cons

Wish there could be better isolation of reminder emails or emails when a client performs as action.

MB

Mark B.

Financial Services, 11-50 employees

Outstanding software that keeps getting better and better!

It's an excellent client database and portal.

Pros

Cool features, outstanding customer service, constantly updating to make it better. I love that I can upload files easily to a secure client portal and we don't have to email files anymore. Clients love that they have 24/7 access to their files. We have saved on paper and toner costs. Having all our client information in one place is incredibly valuable. Engagements keep you focused on what you need to do and makes things less likely to fall through the cracks. The integration with gmail makes tracking/finding email conversations easy! Absolutely can't imagine not having this software.

Cons

There are only a few minor issues that I know Canopy will fix as they learn from their customers. I can make suggestions and I know that they will address these requests in future versions of the software: 1. Mobile Access is not perfect. An app would be great. Some screens just don't show up on my iPhone. 2. Tasks take way too long to create. I think it could be easier to create tasks. 3. Inability to print notes 4. Search engine is limited. It would be better to be able to search for partial names. Currently you need to really know the name of the person you are looking for. I have a business client who I can't search for the name of his business or DBA.

MG

Mark G.

Accounting, 1-10 employees

Canopy helps our company stay organized.

Pros

Communication tab, organization of tasks.

Cons

We would like to be able to integrate ability to update worksheets/ documents in internal files, just like you would in sheets or docs (if you want to edit, you have to do so outside of Canopy and re-upload. We would like to be able to quote in the system.

MJ

McKinley J.

I have had a good experience using Canopy. The website functionality has been very good.

Pros

I like the ability to produce documents that are ready to deliver to clients or the IRS once I have completed the required forms. Additionally, I like the ability to make changes without having to reproduce documents. The link that can be sent directly to clients for data input has been very helpful. Having tax transcripts that are readily accessible on my desktop is a very important feature.

Cons

I think that the software should include a feature that will allow you download transcripts overnight. I think the software would be enhanced if some of the additional features that follow are included in the software: Case Diagnostics, Fee Calculator, Searchable IRS Manual and IRS Contact List. It would be very helpful if other users within the same office could utilize Canopy at some add on rate or multiple user environment. Some of the tax resolution practitioners are part of small office environments. It would be good to have a product that could better fit the needs of the smaller office environments. T

JJ

John J.

Accounting, self-employed

Canopy has simplified the resolution process saving me time.

This product is necessary for me on a daily basis. I benefit from many of it's features.

Pros

The three areas that I use the most are the 433A, OIC and quick access to transcripts. The combination of these three functions allows me to quickly evaluate a clients resolution options. This also creates for me an overview allowing me to better focus on what I need to so that I can more quickly get a handle on the problem and address it with both the IRS and the client.

Cons

When I first learned about Canopy my understanding was that they were specializing in "tax resolution" and concentrating on that area. It appears that they are now broadening their market. I understand why they would want to do this but often newer businesses start to expand or move away from what they did best and water down or slow developing their original product. I fear that Canopy is doing just that and there original product will suffer.

DV

Daniel V.

Legal Services, self-employed

Good software, but confusing pricing

Pros

Canopy's client portal is very easy to use, and I received many compliments from clients on its user-friendliness. Time tracking and invoicing was simple and straightforward. I am a solo practitioner, so I'm not sure how it works for multi-user organizations, but for my practice it did the job well.

Cons

My biggest complaint with Canopy has do do with pricing. It seems like they completely overhaul their pricing structure every six months--not just raising rates, but changing how the pricing is calculated and how features are accounted for. It just got too much to track and too expensive relative to other software providers. Also, as a law firm I ended up needing an invoicing system that could manage trust accounting to stay bar compliant.

MB

Marcy B.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

Had the software for a few years it manages our whole practice.

practice managment

Pros

Does many things very well. Love the e-sign option. Love the enhanced search by phone and email, billing has been very helpful, wonderful team, love this is cloud based.

Cons

Canopy undertakes a huge responsibility in providing so much for its users. However, there is some room for improvement. The transcripts are not reliable; the email feature doens't always stay connected and isn't reliable,mobile usage is hard for practitioner and client. Many things have been greatly improved upon. I would love to be able to brand my invoices with color and logo. How can we get clien'ts to sign in sometimes they never sign in and that a shame.

RH

Robert H.

Tax Resolution Software

Pros

In the beginning, Canopy was a tax resolution software. The survey option to send to the clients for their financial summary was very helpful to construct a resolution for their tax problems.

Cons

The company evolved into a tax management software. I don't need those functions. I need a tax resolution software only. The software was cost prohibitive forcing us to purchase features we don't use. (practice management)

AM

Anne-Marie H.

Canopy - Firm Saving

Love Canopy! Decreases the time I am spending on administrative task.

Pros

Canopy allowed us to flex during the pandemic by offering our clients an easy client portal to use. The clients were able to share their documents for tax preparation. Our firm was then able to upload tax returns for their review. And the e-sign function for the 8879 was amazing. My favorite part is the transcript function to pull clients data from IRS. The transcript report package a professional document to provide to the client that is branded to our firm.

Cons

Haven't discovered any cons with the package. They seem to always be one step ahead of my needs.

KH

Kristin H.

Legal Services, 1-10 employees

Client Management Solution

Very easy process in signing up. Went a long time without the need for upgrade so I was able to fully try the system before buying.

Pros

My clients enjoy the portal and state it is very user-friendly and easy to navigate. I also enjoy the transcript service as it makes pulling new transcripts very fast.

Cons

I wish the software allowed for integration with Outlook. I would like to be able to send an email through Outlook and have the email automatically posted to my client's account. I use the software for case management so this is necessary to outline steps in the case so I do a lot of copy and pasting.

Financial Services,

Robust office management tool that is consistently rolling out new features and improving product.

I am able to view my team and company status on a variety of indices easily. As new features roll out I have been able to reduce my reliance on other software solutions.

Pros

I love that is product is a one stop area for many of my daily management duties. I can see what tasks my team members have been assigned and how far along they are in the processes.

Cons

I would like a couple of reports to have more customization. The ability to place signature fields and check boxes on PDFs would be great.