Canopy Reviews

Canopy

Practice management software for accounting firms

Canopy

Review Summary

Pros

An easy place to track my clients and prospects and archive our emails instead of having a million saved emails. Project tracking is also super helpful.

Our office LOVES Canopy!!! We love how user friendly it is and they have great customer service.

Jennifer V.

Ellen L.

Dustin J.

Jumped in and decided to make them our company for our tax prep business, and everything went wrong.

4.5

Canopy takes the headaches out of client management by offering a way to keep client info organized.

Improved practice management and time management. As well as a simple way for clients to securely share their files with me.

Pros

That all client info, files, communication, notes, and tasks are in one application. It has helped eliminate the need to jump around from application to application to find the info I need to manage all my clients accounts.

Cons

The task feature can use some updates in simplification and added features. I still prefer Jetpack Workflow to help manage my tasks until Canopy improves this feature. I also get frustrated that there isn't a way to simply email a file stored in Canopy to a client that maybe isn't using the portal feature, rather than downloading and adding to an email as an atachment,

Canopy is to be loved.

Client file organization and communication system all in one software. All tax forms and ease of editing client files... it's great.

Pros

Overall functionality and ease of navigation. Bonus points for cool GUI and branding. The Customer Support staff is absolutely outstanding.

Cons

The billing section needs a lot of work. Need to be able to automatically run batches of clients on a monthly basis. I know this is being addressed but it's still an issue for us.

IRS transcripts at the push of a button!!

Canopy is always upgrading and improving their software based on constant user feedback.

Pros

I love how easy it is to setup a new client in this software. Once set up, it's one click to get IRS transcripts downloaded for my review. This saves me at least an hour each week in comparison to the software I used to use.

Cons

There's really nothing to dislike about this software. It does what it says it will do and it saves me time.

Customer Service is Terribly - This Company is too new to meet deadlines

Purchased a license in order to use their Tax Prep software (NOT the tax management software - ability to track clients and manage the funnel of taxes). Was told everything would be ready in time, and I ensured they knew I was only buying now because the Tax Prep software was going to finally be ready. (They told me 4 different dates for when this would be ready as I've been working with their sales...

Pros

The software is cloud based and therefore easy to access.

Cons

The company consistantly made promises that they were unable to uphold. Pushbacks on product releases that we desperately needed, and no refund for their mistakes. Not the company you want to go with when you need something dependable. They're a tax company which makes it even more absurd that they mess around with deadlines.

As a tax professional with various types of clients I love it all in one place

Having a secure portal and most of my client tax information in one place.

Pros

The creators and tech support of this program are responsive to the end users requests and the site is updated, the tech support amazing, and until they get a feature installed, will help you with a work around to use in the mean time.

Cons

That I cannot print lists easily, that clients cannot fill out their own portal information, and most importantly, that I cannot due my clients regular income taxes here thereby having all the important information saved in place.

Great product extraordinary customer support!

In it's fully developed form this product would be second to none! At the moment we use the product primarily for form population and transcript reports.

Pros

Integrated Form population - detailed client survey - transcript reports - assistant for innocent spouse and penalty abatement

Cons

no chronological record per client to record calls and history of actions taken - no integrated calendar per user per client integrated to a record showing actions taken - email is not very functional or user-friendly at this point.

Makes dealing with the IRS much easier!

Organization in tax resolution

Pros

This makes workflow for tax resolution manageable. This business is a bunch of hurry up and wait. This system helps to refresh my memory while transitioning to different clients.

Cons

Not so much a con, as much as anticipation for all the new options that are coming. They promised state forms when I bought and they delivered. I know when they say new options will be available, they will be delivered. Great upstart!

Canopy Program Is it worth the money

Canopy was a great program, I just don't believe it was worth the money they were asking by year two, so as a business we got rid of it.

Pros

Canopy was very easy to implement and use, it saved alot of time and space as far as filing and was very convenient for a secure upload area for clients.

Cons

I felt it was unnecessary for the program to create files for spouses just because you put them in the profile for the original client. I didn't like that you couldn't change the profile up to fit different types of clients. Also the cost kept going up each year.

Canopy is extremely functional having secure portal, workflow & tax controversy resolution abilities

Pros

The ability to securely share documents with clients as well as complete POAs from client contact data already in Canopy. The ability to route workflow between team members with color coded statuses allows us to work efficiently.

Cons

Cannot identify a spouse as an interested party - which is helpful with kids' portal when the entire family has to file separate returns.

Time saver

Pros

I use this product to communicate with clients, organize files, manage time. Great for client to go to their portal and access files without having to communicate with my company

Cons

The mobile compatibility not efficient. No app. Mobile and iPod web is not ease to use. Needs to be more convenient for my clients and myself on the go.

Outstanding software that keeps getting better and better!

It's an excellent client database and portal.

Pros

Cool features, outstanding customer service, constantly updating to make it better. I love that I can upload files easily to a secure client portal and we don't have to email files anymore. Clients love that they have 24/7 access to their files. We have saved on paper and toner costs. Having all our client information in one place is incredibly valuable. Engagements keep you focused on what you need to do and makes things less likely to fall through the cracks. The integration with gmail makes tracking/finding email conversations easy! Absolutely can't imagine not having this software.

Cons

There are only a few minor issues that I know Canopy will fix as they learn from their customers. I can make suggestions and I know that they will address these requests in future versions of the software: 1. Mobile Access is not perfect. An app would be great. Some screens just don't show up on my iPhone. 2. Tasks take way too long to create. I think it could be easier to create tasks. 3. Inability to print notes 4. Search engine is limited. It would be better to be able to search for partial names. Currently you need to really know the name of the person you are looking for. I have a business client who I can't search for the name of his business or DBA.

We all love the program! It has kept us better organized! It's so easy to use!

Canopy is easy and secure program to use to communicate with our clients. The uploading, tasks and engagement feature is used on a daily base in our office. I also, like the fact that we upload files in Canopy and make them visible or non-visible to our clients.

Pros

It's safe and secure. Clients are able to upload documents and the documents are saved their portal which as a result, keeps us better organized. The visible and not visible feature for files is a great feature because they are certain documents that the client doesn't need to see but are important for internal use. The task feature keeps us organized and we know exactly the status of each client. We are still learning Canopy capabilities and features.

Cons

Be able to move files from one client portal to another. We numerous clients whom keep uploading to the wrong portal because they have access to their individual and entity. I spend a lot of time downloading each file, saving it to me desktop and then dragging it over to the proper client portal. Not being able to delete a task from the client portal. If two people are in the same client portal and someone deletes and uploads a document we noticed that the client portal gets all discombobulated. Being able to print from the engagement feature conversations or files that were either uploaded from the client.

I have had an outstanding experience with Canopy!

Client satisfaction, reliable (and hopefully secure!) file-sharing. Potential to have a more efficient tax practice. I feel like i didn't have time to dive in to all feature fully during tax season, but hope to spend some time this Fall tinkering with the software.

Pros

Helping me organize the data and correspondence of 200+ tax clients. I got hooked by the fact that it keeps copies of all my email correspondence. But the biggest surprise was all the positive feedback I received from my clients about how easy it was to use, especially the file uploading. I had a previous product that was a complete nightmare. Around 40% of the clients who tried using it were unable to. Working on taxes brings up a lot of anxiety in people so anything I can do to make the experience smoother goes a long way. Having a reliable, user-friendly product to offer my clients feels GREAT!

Cons

Annual subscription fee that will likely increase as the product is continually enhanced. It's also a little hard to organize the accounts of married couples. They file a joint return so in many respects only need one account. But I like to correspond with both spouses and I haven't figured out a way to do that within one account. If I made one spouse's account inactive, it also deactivates their email address so I'm unable to correspond with them.

I have had a good experience using Canopy. The website functionality has been very good.

Pros

I like the ability to produce documents that are ready to deliver to clients or the IRS once I have completed the required forms. Additionally, I like the ability to make changes without having to reproduce documents. The link that can be sent directly to clients for data input has been very helpful. Having tax transcripts that are readily accessible on my desktop is a very important feature.

Cons

I think that the software should include a feature that will allow you download transcripts overnight. I think the software would be enhanced if some of the additional features that follow are included in the software: Case Diagnostics, Fee Calculator, Searchable IRS Manual and IRS Contact List. It would be very helpful if other users within the same office could utilize Canopy at some add on rate or multiple user environment. Some of the tax resolution practitioners are part of small office environments. It would be good to have a product that could better fit the needs of the smaller office environments. T

Canopy has simplified the resolution process saving me time.

This product is necessary for me on a daily basis. I benefit from many of it's features.

Pros

The three areas that I use the most are the 433A, OIC and quick access to transcripts. The combination of these three functions allows me to quickly evaluate a clients resolution options. This also creates for me an overview allowing me to better focus on what I need to so that I can more quickly get a handle on the problem and address it with both the IRS and the client.

Cons

When I first learned about Canopy my understanding was that they were specializing in "tax resolution" and concentrating on that area. It appears that they are now broadening their market. I understand why they would want to do this but often newer businesses start to expand or move away from what they did best and water down or slow developing their original product. I fear that Canopy is doing just that and there original product will suffer.

Had the software for a few years it manages our whole practice.

practice managment

Pros

Does many things very well. Love the e-sign option. Love the enhanced search by phone and email, billing has been very helpful, wonderful team, love this is cloud based.

Cons

Canopy undertakes a huge responsibility in providing so much for its users. However, there is some room for improvement. The transcripts are not reliable; the email feature doens't always stay connected and isn't reliable,mobile usage is hard for practitioner and client. Many things have been greatly improved upon. I would love to be able to brand my invoices with color and logo. How can we get clien'ts to sign in sometimes they never sign in and that a shame.

Great Product! Such a Time Saver!

Love it! I would recommend it to anyone who regularly deals with IRS transcripts! Has saved us so much time!

Pros

Pulling IRS transcripts using this software is a dream. When you get transcripts through the IRS website you have to pull them one at a time, and if they aren't ready yet you have to repeat this process everyday. With Canopy, you enter the taxpayer's information and then all you have to do to refresh the information is click the refresh button. So much easier to use! Plus you can setup multiple client at one time and let the software run in the background until it has checked them all with the IRS, meanwhile you can move on to other work.

Cons

It would be easier if you didn't have to reestablish the link to the IRS everyday, and wait for the IRS code to come through. However, for security reason I understand why this is necessary.

I really have loved bringing the practice to Canopy.

Client portal, shared communications, all client info in one easy to use place.

Pros

I love the communication feature that connects everyone's correspondence with all clients. That has deemed to be more useful than I originally thought. Also, being able to store information on all of our clients in one easy to use place has been great. The client portal is amazing and easy to use.

Cons

When trying to complete things it will often have apologetic issues, like "sorry we are having trouble at the moment". Tasks should work more like engagements. Also, the alphabetic order of things is not exactly alphabetic and no one can seem to make sense of that for me but as our cient list grew the search tool is now the go-to for finding clients so it doesn't cause much of a hassle it is just a little odd.

Robust office management tool that is consistently rolling out new features and improving product.

I am able to view my team and company status on a variety of indices easily. As new features roll out I have been able to reduce my reliance on other software solutions.

Pros

I love that is product is a one stop area for many of my daily management duties. I can see what tasks my team members have been assigned and how far along they are in the processes.

Cons

I would like a couple of reports to have more customization. The ability to place signature fields and check boxes on PDFs would be great.

Powerful tax tool

It is such a robust program. It combines a number of other software programs into one and then some. I love being able to see where I left off on a particular client request. It keeps me organized and provides great documetation. I am also going to be using the transcript service once I figure it out. And I suspect that I will be purchasing the audit resolution package soon too. Many benefits to using this software.

Pros

It is project oriented, easy to learn,and meets many relevant needs as a tax professional. It is also constantly evolving.

Cons

I can't find a fault. It is great and I highly recommend its use as a tax professional. Initially phone support was limited but that has since changed. I have been able to get live assistance every time I have called in the past 6 months or so and they are very helpful and professional.

This software is my main hub for working and is allowing us to finally move to a paperless office.

We're able to have easy access to all our clients, vendors, internal files, employees, etc - all in one easy to use format that is secure. We may never be 100% paperless due to regulatory requirements, but with Canopy, we can get as close to it as possible.

Pros

It has contact info on all people we do business with (clients, vendors, employees, etc). It allows us to store and org files in an easy to use format.

Cons

Setting up engagements, tasks and calendar/communications has been unusable for me; too disjointed from the hectic reality I deal with; though if it could be streamlined and integrated with the rest of my digital life, I would use these features! Specifically, we use a specific app for billings; would prefer to keep to that, but have Canopy pull the info from our billing app.

Great software, and the company is very good about ongoing development!

Time savings, efficiency and clarity of reports. Completeness of the reports, and a very professional presentation of the information. For example, when we present the results of a transcript pull, our clients feel we've done something very personal for them, and this helps our "word of mouth" advertising. I really like being able to do everything in one place. There are no separate programs to use, it's basically an all-in-one solution.

Pros

Very efficient, and for the most part, easy to use. I really like that the company is very responsive to issues, and seem to be in a constant state of improvement. There are new features that I haven't had time to use, but just knowing their there helps me plan for future use of those functions.

Cons

The font is very dim. I'd like more contrast between the different fonts to make navigation and other functions a little easier. I consider this fairly minor, as the other aspects of the software lend themselves to ease of use.

WFS - Canopy

I have found that a great deal of my clients have enjoyed the Canopy app. I have gotten feedback that it is good to have their return on the go. I find that it has saved me some time.

Pros

I have a great deal of clientele that cannot come to my office, because of their location or timing. So Ihae use the e-signature and i has helped me considerably to get the signatures that I need.

Cons

When I set up Canopy on my side, I set folders. I think that it would be great that the client gets it as a folder as well so that they do not have to scroll through all the forms that are sent. I find that I have to label each form by date. It would be better If I can send them a file labeled by year.

This website has optimized our client communication faster than any other avenue.

Pros

We appreciate the ability to communicate with our clientele virtual through a multitude of platforms on Canopy, all precisely engineered to accommodate our desires.

Cons

The only opposition to Canopy would be that because of its many unique features it may seem complicated at face value, but it is nothing more complicated than an email.

Canopy is user friendly, robust, and agile. I love it.

Pros

The CRM component lets you take notes, update client work papers. The software also make it easy for clients to upload documents and files. Pulling clients transcripts is also a plus. This cuts out a lot of phone time waiting for the IRS to respond. Overall, it is a very good product.

Cons

I really don't have a con. This software is exceptional. I would like for some of the subject matter expect be a better t more knowledgeable in IRS procedures.